PDA

View Full Version : 53rd anniversary of Wilt's 100 point game: who could even come close?

JasonJohnHorn
03-02-2015, 09:21 AM
So today is the 53rd anniversary of Wilt's 100 point game.

I don't think anybody can touch this. If somebody was going to do it, it would have been Jordan, who never felt the need to dominate the ball that much, or Kobe, who did feel the need, but really only had one season where he was given the latitude to do that (result in the second highest single-game point total and the most impressive scoring seasons since Jodan's prime).

I won't ask if anybody could top it, because I think that is highly unlikely, so instead I ask, who in this league is most capable of coming closest to that?

Steph Curry? Klay? KD? LBJ?

Miltstar
03-02-2015, 09:43 AM
The talent level in the league and the rules are so much different now, it's a great accomplishment for Wilt that will likely never be matched but you can't really compare it to current day feats like Kobe's 81

R. Johnson#3
03-02-2015, 09:47 AM
Mike James. Dude is gonna sign a 10 day deal and shock the World. GOAT!

asandhu23
03-02-2015, 09:55 AM
cue the "he only played against 6 foot 4 inch white guys."

IndyRealist
03-02-2015, 10:07 AM
If anyone could do it today, I'd say Harden. He has the combination of complete control of the offense, the 3rd fastest pace, and non-scoring teammates who space the floor.

nandovelez
03-02-2015, 10:40 AM
No one would touch it that and his 55 rebound game

slashsnake
03-02-2015, 10:55 AM
cue the "he only played against 6 foot 4 inch white guys."

Nah, there was 40-50 guys playing then that were 6'5 or better. Heck there were 4 or 5 starters that were 6'10 or better then. A few were even 210 lbs or more. And there were 37 guys in the NBA that weren't white too.

Obviously the level of talent top to bottom then vs. today is a huge difference.

I don't think anyone could today.

Average team scored 20 more a game then than today. Kobe had a crazy night when he hit 81 and still would have needed a fifth quarter on his pace to beat Wilt.

Lebron is the closest today to a freak of nature, which I think you need to do something like that. A guy who changes the game physically. Even Shaq really wasn't that. Maybe Magic, but he was a pass first guy like Lebron.

Games are taken more seriously today (no playing hungover, fans showing up for the actual game)...

Much more sharing of the load today. They had 7 guys scoring 30 a game playing 41 minutes+ a game. The bench wasn't used like it was today. Every team had a guy taking 25+ shots a game.

I've always figured the double your average should be around your season high. A guy scoring 25 a game should have a season high around 50 give or take. Obviously a lot more goes into it, but that tends to be close overall. Wilt averaged 50 a game, hit 100.

Harden, I don't think has even had a 50 point game in his career, so we are talking a huge stretch there. If he scored 100 I doubt that game is close, and if it isn't close, I doubt he's playing 45+ minutes in it.

asandhu23
03-02-2015, 11:12 AM
I know. I'm just getting the "wilt played against unathletic "insert variable height under 7 feet" white guys" post out of the way.

jerellh528
03-02-2015, 11:22 AM
KD is the only one that can come close, I can see him pulling out a 70-90 point game sometime in his career, he just has to be super hot that day and he could do it. I don't think anyone else has the pure offensive arsenal/firepower. Melo maybe but I think the time has passed for him. I do think kobes 81 is more impressive than wilts 100 though.

hidalgo
03-02-2015, 11:39 AM
i think maybe Durant or Westbrook could if they really forced it like KB did(selfish me me me x number of points to look cool kinda night shoot shoot shoot). it would have to be a 3 or 4 OT game, & be in a serious zone shooting, & with the other team playing horrible 1 on 1 no pride whatsoever defense like the 06 raptors did(making a mockery of the game with that allstar game/pro bowl d) they should have double & triple teamed him hard, at least after halftime, disgraceful. the 06 Mavs were terrible 1 on 1 too against great 2 guards, that's why Wade went nuclear on them, but when it counted the most, the finals. so yea, it's possible, but who's douchey enough to try it now that king douche himself KB is about toast? it's not that important (unless it's done in the playoffs but still trying for x number of points is lame, not a team sport kinda move)

PurpleLynch
03-02-2015, 11:48 AM
I think that's one of the few record that will remain unbroken in the Nba.
Kobe's 81 will be also unbroken for a long time.
KD,according to his offense power could do something like that. But it will be almost impossible imo.

Giannis94
03-02-2015, 12:08 PM
I think a star in a position like Melo or Kobe where there is no one else worthy of touching the ball on their team. True #1 option with no reason to pass. Still highly unlikely and they would have to play the game of their life.

HoopsDrive
03-02-2015, 12:13 PM
KD has the skillset to pull it off but he doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that would go after such records, it would have to be over the course of the game with the team needing him to score a lot of points which means at least 2OT so not happening. Also, Westbrook would have to be off the team for that to happen.

Harden has the right environment and mindset to pull it off, and also a pretty good skillset to go after the century mark but, again, he'd need a couple of OTs to pull it off.

I don't think anyone is touching 100 within 48 minutes again.

Snakeyestx
03-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Harden or Westbrook - and the rest of the team would have to have tons of assists that night.

With generally bigger players, different rules, and much more complex offensive and defensive sets (than in Wilt's day) - it can hardly be a one-man show unless the rest of the team is doling out all the picks, assists and screens to that one scorer.

KnicksorBust
03-02-2015, 12:46 PM
That player would have to drain a ton of 3's and be his team's entire offense. No offense to Curry but the Warriors are too balanced of a team for him to need to go off for a 100 and I see him feeling the need to pass to open teammates. Similar to LeBron.

Durant (with an injured Westbrook) or Harden are the only two players on Earth that I could see doing it.

JLynn943
03-02-2015, 01:42 PM
Durant with Westbrook out is the best chance imo, probably followed by Westbrook with Durant out. Harden, idk, he gets to the line enough for sure. No one is doing it though.

Jamiecballer
03-02-2015, 01:53 PM

I don't think anybody can touch this. If somebody was going to do it, it would have been Jordan, who never felt the need to dominate the ball that much, or Kobe, who did feel the need, but really only had one season where he was given the latitude to do that (result in the second highest single-game point total and the most impressive scoring seasons since Jodan's prime).

I won't ask if anybody could top it, because I think that is highly unlikely, so instead I ask, who in this league is most capable of coming closest to that?

the only person who ever could have done it, or come awfully close, was jordan. it would have been fascinating to watch him try. it's a shame he never did.

SteveNash
03-02-2015, 09:25 PM
Carmelo

Tony_Starks
03-02-2015, 09:55 PM
Nobody. The only chance would be if you could combine Westbrook's heart with KD's range. Forget 100, I doubt anyone even gets close to 81 unless a team goes out and specifically plans for someone to shoot every shot until he gets it.

jerellh528
03-02-2015, 10:10 PM
the only person who ever could have done it, or come awfully close, was jordan. it would have been fascinating to watch him try. it's a shame he never did.

I mean it's not like he never tried, he has the record for most fgas ever in a single game

Tony_Starks
03-02-2015, 10:52 PM

Huh? MJ scored 64 points off of 49 attempts. AND lost.

Cal827
03-03-2015, 12:36 AM
Still Kobe.

Kaner
03-03-2015, 12:47 AM
Don't see anyone in the league right now doing it, Kd's the only player in the league I think will hit 70+ at some point in their career. Westbrook and Harden are probably the other two who have a chance of breaking 70 and that's about it.

Alayla
03-03-2015, 06:05 PM
I think the only player with the right combo of talent and freedom right now who could do it is westbrook but i wouldnt like to see that from him at all

Hawkeye15
03-03-2015, 06:10 PM
nobody. Nobody will ever get 63 FGA's, and 32 FTA's in a game ever again. Pace is way too slow, and the minutes played per game will never touch what he played.

Hawkeye15
03-03-2015, 06:20 PM
example:

The night Wilt scored 100. His team shot 115 FGA's. His team also shot 52 FTA's.

GS, the fastest paced team in the league, shot 90 FGA's, and 18 FTA's last night.

the sheer pace of the game will never allow those ridiculous numbers the old timers put up. Which people need to remember when they shout out Wilt's per game averages...

Vinylman
03-03-2015, 06:30 PM
nobody. Nobody will ever get 63 FGA's, and 32 FTA's in a game ever again. Pace is way too slow, and the minutes played per game will never touch what he played.

so why aren't all the AS guys adjusting this record for pace...

never was overly impressed with the "accomplishment" when you know McGuire made a conscious decision to let him stat stuff at halftime along with all the intentional fouling late in the game... he scored 25 points in the last 8 minutes...

more impressed with his record # of women BANGED

tredigs
03-03-2015, 06:34 PM
example:

The night Wilt scored 100. His team shot 115 FGA's. His team also shot 52 FTA's.

GS, the fastest paced team in the league, shot 90 FGA's, and 18 FTA's last night.

the sheer pace of the game will never allow those ridiculous numbers the old timers put up. Which people need to remember when they shout out Wilt's per game averages...
Tend to agree with this, but as for the Warriors game, they were playing Brooklyn. And Brooklyn runs a very slow pace.

When we play a similarly fast past teams like the Rockets, you see results like the 113 to 126 or 131 to 106 games. We've actually scored 126+ 10 times, and only one was OT. If you think about nights like that 131 point game against Houston theoretically going to double OT, then 150+ is realistic and in play. A player like Klay or Harden or Curry could conceivably score 90+ in a game like that. I mean ****, we already saw Klay nearly put up 40 in one quarter this season. It's highly improbable, but it could happen if the player wanted it bad enough and the coach was on board with letting him light it up in a potential blowout situation (I think that's the biggest hurdle to be honest. Most of the time it will be one team crushing and the player will be sat).

tredigs
03-03-2015, 06:38 PM

never was overly impressed with the "accomplishment" when you know McGuire made a conscious decision to let him stat stuff at halftime along with all the intentional fouling late in the game... he scored 25 points in the last 8 minutes...

The pace disparity is the first thing that should ever come up in these talks. Jordan/Magic/Lebron/Kidd would all have triple-double seasons if they played at Oscar's pace. MJ would have averaged 50 for a season, and yes, Kobe would have cleared 100 in his 81 game (107 I think).

Vinylman
03-03-2015, 06:41 PM
Tend to agree with this, but as for the Warriors game, they were playing Brooklyn. And Brooklyn runs a very slow pace.

When we play a similarly fast past teams like the Rockets, you see results like the 113 to 126 or 131 to 106 games. We've actually scored 126+ 10 times, and only one was OT. If you think about nights like that 131 point game against Houston theoretically going to double OT, then 150+ is realistic and in play. A player like Klay or Harden or Curry could conceivably score 90+ in a game like that. I mean ****, we already saw Klay nearly put up 40 in one quarter this season. It's highly improbable, but it could happen if the player wanted it bad enough and the coach was on board with letting him light it up in a potential blowout situation (I think that's the biggest hurdle to be honest. Most of the time it will be one team crushing and the player will be sat).

The bolded is what happened with Kobe in the 62 point game in 3 quarters against Dallas

andy2518
03-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Maybe if Klay gets hot again, but seriously, no one is ever breaking that record.

Vinylman
03-03-2015, 06:45 PM
The pace disparity is the first thing that should ever come up in these talks. Jordan/Magic/Lebron/Kidd would all have triple-double seasons if they played at Oscar's pace. MJ would have averaged 50 for a season, and yes, Kobe would have cleared 100 in his 81 game (107 I think).

yeah... I always laugh when people talk about the Big O averaging a triple double without context

As for kobe... i was more impressed with the Dallas 3 quarter game

tredigs
03-03-2015, 06:45 PM
The bolded is what happened with Kobe in the 62 point game in 3 quarters against Dallas

yep. Not that Klay was on pace for a particularly huge night outside of that 3rd Q (tho' he did clear 50), but yeah, he only played 33 minutes due to the blowout. The same as Kobe and the 62.

Hawkeye15
03-03-2015, 06:54 PM

truth

ATX
03-03-2015, 07:16 PM
The only players I could see coming "Close" would be:

Stephen Curry
James Harden
LeBron James
Kevin Durant
Kyrie Irving
Russell Westbrook

Then Again I don't see any player getting the opportunity to put up over 50 shots. I could feasibly see, take Harden for example going something like 23 for 37 with say 9 three's and 12/14 from the line. This would give him a hypothetical 67...Not that "Close", but would be a historic game.