PDA

View Full Version : most disappointing careers

ewing
02-28-2015, 02:06 AM
what players did you see really developing into something who just didn't

I always loved Franciso Gracia. Marcus Fizer was another one that i just kept expecting to turn into a player.

ewing
02-28-2015, 02:07 AM
was also a Rashad McCants fan. that didn't turn out well

BullsFan_1
02-28-2015, 02:11 AM
I'm not sure why, but I always thought Dee Brown would put it together at the next level.

ChI_ShIzzLe
02-28-2015, 02:11 AM
Eddy Curry. Could've been Shaq 2.0

Chronz
02-28-2015, 02:20 AM
Q ross

Tony_Starks
02-28-2015, 02:24 AM
Johnny Flynn, Ricky Rubio, Wesley Johnson, Darko Milicic, Michael Beasley.

slaker619
02-28-2015, 02:30 AM
Hasheem Thabeet, Dajuan Summers, Michael Beasley -.-

Blitzace137
02-28-2015, 02:32 AM
Anthony Randolph

flattoprules21
02-28-2015, 02:35 AM
Wilson Chandler, jason thompson, anthony randolph and my boy Josh Selby lol

lamzoka
02-28-2015, 02:47 AM
Courtney Lee, Hasheem Thabeet.

TheNumber37
02-28-2015, 02:54 AM
Tracy McGrady

What Happened to TJ Ford?

eso
02-28-2015, 03:16 AM
Derrick Rose...

Tony_Starks
02-28-2015, 03:28 AM
Smush Parker, Chris Mihm, Kwame Brown, Luke Walton.....

BKdoubleStacker
02-28-2015, 03:35 AM
Tyrus Thomas

LakersIn5
02-28-2015, 04:08 AM

And theeeeeeeeeee staaaarting lineup for yooooooooour minnesotta timberwolves

LakersIn5
02-28-2015, 04:09 AM
I dont like him but i remember alot of people hyping rodrigue beaubious before lol

Lakers + Giants
02-28-2015, 05:12 AM
Bynum, could've been great, but injuries and attitude.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-28-2015, 06:09 AM
Kwame Brown

Iron24th
02-28-2015, 06:29 AM
Sean May

Trueblue2
02-28-2015, 07:33 AM
Every Jason Williams not also known as white chocolate

RaginRondo17
02-28-2015, 08:09 AM
Marcus Banks, thought he was going to be a decent PG at one point.

jaydubb
02-28-2015, 08:20 AM
Adam Morrison

jaydubb
02-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Where is that poster #freeJimmer in this thread

nandovelez
02-28-2015, 08:56 AM
Always thought sheldon williams and marvin williams were gonna be studs

ewing
02-28-2015, 09:22 AM
Always thought sheldon williams and marvin williams were gonna be studs

Sheldon had bust written all over him. Marvin was interesting- i had no idea what was going to happen with him. He definitely had tools but really didn't even play that much his one year at UNC. He came on at the end of the year and hype machine went wild. I think he went #2 after coming off the bench almost every game his fresh year- weird.

ewing
02-28-2015, 09:28 AM
I'm not sure why, but I always thought Dee Brown would put it together at the next level.

if you mean Dee Brown from illinois, i agree. Dude was fast as ****, thought he had good point sense, and wa a harassing defender. Guess he was too small.

mightybosstone
02-28-2015, 10:03 AM
I don't think anyone else said it, which is shocking because he should be the No. 1 answer to this question: Greg Oden. He was supposed to bring back the era of dominant big men, and instead became a trivia question as one of the biggest busts in NBA history.

As far as Houston guys go, a few names come to mind: Steve Francis, Eddie Griffin, Luther Head, Stromile Swift and Bryce Drew. Had I been alive or old enough to have watched him play with Hakeem, I would certainly have added Ralph Sampson's name to the list.

KnickNyKnick
02-28-2015, 10:11 AM
wow no eddie curry? well... EDDY CURRY

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-28-2015, 10:34 AM
wow no eddie curry? well... EDDY CURRY

learn how to read

Goose17
02-28-2015, 10:36 AM
I'm going to be bold here... Carmelo Anthony. I thought he was going to be MUCH more than what he is.

Also going to throw out Patrick O'Bryant, Jonny Flynn and Adam Morrison.

Shady66
02-28-2015, 10:42 AM
Terrence williams

R. Johnson#3
02-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Shaun Livingston

He looked like he was putting it together then the knee injury happened. Never really got much of a chance after that. He just bounces around the league year after year and never really gets a chance to get comfortable. Mind you, he does an alright job, I just always thought he was capable of more.

mightybosstone
02-28-2015, 10:46 AM
Terrence williams

That's another really good answer. He showed some flashes when he was in Houston of freak athleticism, and he was always a terrific defender. But he was so wildly inconsistent as a shooter and scorer, and he seemed to have a bit of an attitude problem.

Goose17
02-28-2015, 10:47 AM
Shaun Livingston

He looked like he was putting it together then the knee injury happened. Never really got much of a chance after that. He just bounces around the league year after year and never really gets a chance to get comfortable. Mind you, he does an alright job, I just always thought he was capable of more.

Like most of these guys the injures were their downfall. Livingston never fully recovered.

He's a serviceable back up PG now due to his court vision, size/length defensively and post game. But that's all he will ever be, a second string PG. I still believe he would have been an absolute boss if he had remained healthy.

Goose17
02-28-2015, 10:48 AM
Beasley?

ATX
02-28-2015, 11:12 AM
Just to name a few more; Harold Miner, DaJuan Wagner, Darius Miles, and Stromile Swift

beasted86
02-28-2015, 11:38 AM
OJ Mayo

Thought he would develop into an elite SG.

JasonJohnHorn
02-28-2015, 11:47 AM
Grant Hill and Penny Hardaway come to mind. I remember watching those guys hit their prime and knew they were really going to be among the greatest ever, and then injuries.

I'd say George Gervin and T-Mac, just because, though both played very well, neither ever got the chance to play on a contender. You see guys like Gervin and T-Mac never make a deep run, and you understand why LBJ went to Miami.

Guys who get stuck on teams on their own with no help, like Gervin, never get the credit they deserve.

mightybosstone
02-28-2015, 11:57 AM
Grant Hill and Penny Hardaway come to mind. I remember watching those guys hit their prime and knew they were really going to be among the greatest ever, and then injuries.

I'd say George Gervin and T-Mac, just because, though both played very well, neither ever got the chance to play on a contender. You see guys like Gervin and T-Mac never make a deep run, and you understand why LBJ went to Miami.

Guys who get stuck on teams on their own with no help, like Gervin, never get the credit they deserve.

Hardaway and Hill definitely end up on the "injury what ifs" all-time top 10 list. But I certainly don't think you can call Gervin and McGrady's careers disappointments. If you end up a top 10 player at your position in the history of the sport, your career was a resounding success. Would it have been nice for Gervin to play on better teams or for the McGrady/Yao experiment to have worked out? Sure. But they, themselves, were hardly disappointments.

mightybosstone
02-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Now that I mentioned an All-Time Injury What If Top 10 list, that immediately made me want to make that list. After just a little research, here's my selections:
1. Bill Walton
2. Grant Hill
3. Maurice Stokes
4. Bob McAdoo
5. Penny Hardaway
6. Brandon Roy
7. Yao Ming
8. Gilbert Arenas
9. Greg Oden
10. Ralph Sampson

Soon to crack this list: Derrick Rose

Wanted to put on here, but couldn't justify it because he only played one season: Jay Williams

KnicksorBust
02-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Now that I mentioned an All-Time Injury What If Top 10 list, that immediately made me want to make that list. After just a little research, here's my selections:
1. Bill Walton
2. Grant Hill
3. Maurice Stokes
4. Bob McAdoo
5. Penny Hardaway
6. Brandon Roy
7. Yao Ming
8. Gilbert Arenas
9. Greg Oden
10. Ralph Sampson

Soon to crack this list: Derrick Rose

Wanted to put on here, but couldn't justify it because he only played one season: Jay Williams

That is actually a really well put together list.

GiantsSwaGG
02-28-2015, 12:39 PM
Carmelo Anthony, I thought he was going to be better than LeBron James

mightybosstone
02-28-2015, 12:46 PM
Carmelo Anthony, I thought he was going to be better than LeBron James

I don't think you can call Anthony a disappointment. No, he wasn't as good as Lebron, but why would you honestly think he was going to be? He was never as athletic as Lebron or as versatile. And he never gave a damn on defense. Sure, he had that magical season at Syracuse and his rookie season was on par with Lebron's, but Lebron was viewed as a once in a generation type talent when he was 15 or 16 years old.

And saying Melo's career was a disappointment because he's not Lebron James is like saying Moses Malone's career was a disappointment because he wasn't Kareem or John Stockton's career was a disappointment because he wasn't Magic. A great player's career isn't any worse just because another player in his era was better at the same position.

mightybosstone
02-28-2015, 12:50 PM
That is actually a really well put together list.

Thank you, sir. I almost left out Stokes because it was an illness that ended his career and not an injury, but that's close enough. And Sampson wasn't as talented or productive in his small peak than other guys whose careers were cut a little short by injuries, but I had to include him on the list because of the potential that 86 Rockets team showed before cocaine and Sampson's legs ruined everything. Oden deserved inclusion solely because of potential, even if (like Jay Williams) we never really got to see him play at an All-Star level.

GiantsSwaGG
02-28-2015, 01:14 PM
I don't think you can call Anthony a disappointment. No, he wasn't as good as Lebron, but why would you honestly think he was going to be? He was never as athletic as Lebron or as versatile. And he never gave a damn on defense. Sure, he had that magical season at Syracuse and his rookie season was on par with Lebron's, but Lebron was viewed as a once in a generation type talent when he was 15 or 16 years old.

And saying Melo's career was a disappointment because he's not Lebron James is like saying Moses Malone's career was a disappointment because he wasn't Kareem or John Stockton's career was a disappointment because he wasn't Magic. A great player's career isn't any worse just because another player in his era was better at the same position.

Imo Melo offensive was on another level compared to Lebron's. Still til this day he's the most complete offensive player in the league, but he's just not smart, he can do anything LeBron can on offensive (except the mister dunks) but he was more gifted offensively. Melo never gave a damn on defense and when he did he can be a really good defender. what stopped Melo froming passing James was giving a damn, being content with his game and not improving. Melo should have at least a ring or gotten to the finals, passing the 1st round of the playoffs twice is a disappointment.

ewing
02-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Im still waiting for Samual Dalembert to break out

mightybosstone
02-28-2015, 01:37 PM
Imo Melo offensive was on another level compared to Lebron's. Still til this day he's the most complete offensive player in the league, but he's just not smart, he can do anything LeBron can on offensive (except the mister dunks) but he was more gifted offensively. Melo never gave a damn on defense and when he did he can be a really good defender. what stopped Melo froming passing James was giving a damn, being content with his game and not improving. Melo should have at least a ring or gotten to the finals, passing the 1st round of the playoffs twice is a disappointment.

You're missing one of the biggest edges Lebron has over Melo: playmaking. When Lebron's career is over, he'll go on an elite list with probably Bird and Pippen among the greatest playmaking forwards in the history of the NBA. Melo, meanwhile, has always been an atrocious passer and playmaker for this teammates.

To me, that's what sets Lebron apart from the pure scorers that played no defense and didn't get others involved like the Melos, Niques and Wilkins of the world. But there's no shame in Melo being the Dominique Wilkins of his era. And if Melo can stay healthy, a lot of his numbers will surpass Wilkins in a few seasons. Hell, I don't have the time to make a top 10 all-time SF list, but Melo could feasibly crack that.

FraziersKnicks
02-28-2015, 01:57 PM

I love Melo but he isn't half the passer LeBron is. That's a big part of offense. He also isn't nearly as good a ball handler.

FraziersKnicks
02-28-2015, 02:19 PM

This is spot on.

He's on course to finish his career as a 10+ time All-Star and a top 10 scorer all-time. I actually think he has a really good shot at 30k. He's on 21,000 now and he's 30. If he can average 70 games for the next 6 seasons and score 21.4 points per game over that span, he'll hit 30k. I think he's game is gonna age well, quite similar to Paul Pierce.

Just for reference from his age 31 season up until now, Paul Pierce has scored 8,767 points whilst attempting 12.6 field goals a game (which factors in his reduced role on the C's when KG and Ray arrived and in BK and Washington). I think Melo's game will mature very similarly to The Truth's but he's gonna be the focal point of our offence for at least the next 2-3 years (which means around 20 shots a game). I really don't think it's out of the question that if Melo can continue to play at a high level he'll do something only Kareem, Malone, Kobe, MJ, Wilt and Dr. J (and soon LeBron) will have done.

I don't think you can say that's a disappointing career by any stretch of the imagination.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2015, 02:22 PM

he is 24 haha, and actually was better this year than I thought he would be. Yet another injury slowed him down. I have hopes for him yet, and I have been his biggest critic.

Not sure if you meant to, but you named all Wolves players.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2015, 02:29 PM
Darius Miles, Ed O'Bannon, Juan Dixon, Stacey Augmon come to mind

THE MTL
02-28-2015, 02:35 PM
Anthony Randolph and Tyrus Thomas. Both oozed with potential showed slight glimpses every now and again but are no longer on NBA rosters.

I also say OJ Mayo. After averaging near 20ppg his rookie season i thought he would develop into an elite SG.

A little early for Brandon Jennings but i think it's safe to say he'll be a disappointment too. He set the league on fire his first week in the NBA. Scored 55pts in one game. Hard to believe that will probably be the best game of his career.

dodgersuck
02-28-2015, 02:38 PM
Anthony Randolph, Oj Mayo, Cory Brewer, Terrance Ross, JaMario Moon

Goose17
02-28-2015, 02:40 PM
You're missing one of the biggest edges Lebron has over Melo: playmaking. When Lebron's career is over, he'll go on an elite list with probably Bird and Pippen among the greatest playmaking forwards in the history of the NBA. Melo, meanwhile, has always been an atrocious passer and playmaker for this teammates.

True. I believe he leads all forward in career assists now.

I don't think you can call Anthony a disappointment.

Personally I was disappointed with him, but maybe I expected too much? I thought he would be a legit first option. He's not. And he never will be imo. He's a second option, an amazing second option but still a second option.

As for his career, I was hoping he would have won a ring (still might who knows), granted that's more of a reflection on a team than any individual. I just figured he would be one of those guys, a winner. At the very least I expected him to win an MVP. He's never even been on an All-NBA first team.

Maybe he's unlucky? Much like people in Jordans era, maybe Melo was just unlucky to be a player in the same era as LeBron. I feel like the Kobe/Iverson era would have been better for him and his style of play? I don't know. I just feel like he could have been more.

I guess disappointment depends on what your expectations were to begin with.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2015, 02:41 PM
Anthony Randolph and Tyrus Thomas. Both oozed with potential showed slight glimpses every now and again but are no longer on NBA rosters.

I also say OJ Mayo. After averaging near 20ppg his rookie season i thought he would develop into an elite SG.

A little early for Brandon Jennings but i think it's safe to say he'll be a disappointment too. He set the league on fire his first week in the NBA. Scored 55pts in one game. Hard to believe that will probably be the best game of his career.

never got the hype. 6'3" shooting guards with average athleticism usually don't take the NBA by storm...

Goose17
02-28-2015, 02:53 PM
If he's unlucky I think Gallo might end up on this list.

It's still too early but I think Bennett will end up on here.

mightybosstone
02-28-2015, 03:02 PM
Personally I was disappointed with him, but maybe I expected too much? I thought he would be a legit first option. He's not. And he never will be imo. He's a second option, an amazing second option but still a second option.
What? How is he not a first option? He's 11th in NBA history in points per game, and he's done that on a career TS% of 54.6%, which is at least average to slightly above average. Saying he's not a legit first option is just dense, dude.

As for his career, I was hoping he would have won a ring (still might who knows), granted that's more of a reflection on a team than any individual. I just figured he would be one of those guys, a winner. At the very least I expected him to win an MVP. He's never even been on an All-NBA first team.
The point about his rings is a true one. You can't blame him for not winning a title, as he he never played on a team with enough talent to easily win one. As for him making an All-NBA first team, how can you blame him for that? He played in the same era as Lebron, Duncan, Garnett, Dirk and Durant. That's five guys who will probably go down as top 25 players all-time when their careers are done.

Maybe he's unlucky? Much like people in Jordans era, maybe Melo was just unlucky to be a player in the same era as LeBron. I feel like the Kobe/Iverson era would have been better for him and his style of play? I don't know. I just feel like he could have been more.

I guess disappointment depends on what your expectations were to begin with.
I'd call him unlucky more than I'd call him a disappointment. Sure, he could have accomplished more. But I also don't think he's ever played on a great basketball team. If he had teamed up with Iverson, Stoudemire or Billups earlier in their careers, maybe he could have made a title run, but those Denver and New York teams were never better than 54-win teams. And his window with those teams was extremely small. Plus, he was playing in the same conferences as two great teams of the last decade: the Pau/Kobe/Odom Lakers and the Lebron/Wade/Bosh Heat.

Goose17
02-28-2015, 03:09 PM
What? How is he not a first option? He's 11th in NBA history in points per game, and he's done that on a career TS% of 54.6%, which is at least average to slightly above average. Saying he's not a legit first option is just dense, dude.

I don't care how many points he's scored. A first option to me is a guy that can win. He's done nothing with the Knicks since he got there. Iverson did better with worse teams, he's more of a first option than Melo is and Iverson was an inefficient chucker.

He's never had success as a first option, similar to Love. Therefore he's not a first option. He's probably a great second option.

The point about his rings is a true one. You can't blame him for not winning a title, as he he never played on a team with enough talent to easily win one. As for him making an All-NBA first team, how can you blame him for that? He played in the same era as Lebron, Duncan, Garnett, Dirk and Durant. That's five guys who will probably go down as top 25 players all-time when their careers are done.

Like I said, could be similar to the Jordan situation, he's just unlucky he came along at the time he did.

I'd call him unlucky more than I'd call him a disappointment. Sure, he could have accomplished more. But I also don't think he's ever played on a great basketball team. If he had teamed up with Iverson, Stoudemire or Billups earlier in their careers, maybe he could have made a title run, but those Denver and New York teams were never better than 54-win teams. And his window with those teams was extremely small. Plus, he was playing in the same conferences as two great teams of the last decade: the Pau/Kobe/Odom Lakers and the Lebron/Wade/Bosh Heat.

Maybe you're right. But I expected big things and he didn't achieve them, therefore, by definition, I am disappointed. Right or wrong, I am. And I consider him a disappointment.

I think if he had a proper first option he would have had more success. But even then I would be disappointed. I expected him to be a legit first option guy. Like LeBron, KD, Kobe, young Wade, Dirk etc. I thought he was THAT guy.

Chronz
02-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Melo is disappointing in the sense that he never became Durant. But hes impressive in that he became more than just Big Dawg. The answer to this depends on your point of view. I dont expect **** from players, I appreciate them for who they are. Criticize their fans/detractors for misplacing their merit.

For the sake of the argument tho.
Rasheed Wallace, Odom and Kukoc are the common answers Ive heard over the years but I really think they maximized their talents by being unselfish. They never really showed an ability to take over at an elite level. Rasheed is a championship piece. Hes really rare to find tho. 2-way floor warp type player, you cant leave him alone offensively and defensively he makes you change your gameplan.

GiantsSwaGG
02-28-2015, 03:52 PM

To me, that's what sets Lebron apart from the pure scorers that played no defense and didn't get others involved like the Melos, Niques and Wilkins of the world. But there's no shame in Melo being the Dominique Wilkins of his era. And if Melo can stay healthy, a lot of his numbers will surpass Wilkins in a few seasons. Hell, I don't have the time to make a top 10 all-time SF list, but Melo could feasibly crack that.

That's my whole point, he never gave a damn about making his teammates better and improving his passing, things he should of worked on and didn't. When LeBron came into the league, he couldn't shoot to save his life, little to no post game etc, as great as LeBron was he still had limitations that stop him from being in the elite class. Once he worked and improve his jumpshot and post move, he become VERY VERY efficient and took off. What came after that, championships, MVPS etc. Melo had to chance to surpass him because he had an above average post game, mid range jumper was money, jumpshot on point etc. just needed to learn and accept that making his teammates better would benefit his game more, improve your passing. He never gave a damn, it was all about scoring.

GiantsSwaGG
02-28-2015, 03:54 PM
I love Melo but he isn't half the passer LeBron is. That's a big part of offense. He also isn't nearly as good a ball handler.

Agreed, imagine if he would of really worked in that with the offense arsenal he has?

kingsdelez24
02-28-2015, 04:23 PM
Josh Howard

Man was an allstar once and then fell off the face of the earth after they found weed in his system

FraziersKnicks
02-28-2015, 04:28 PM
I don't care how many points he's scored. A first option to me is a guy that can win. He's done nothing with the Knicks since he got there. Iverson did better with worse teams, he's more of a first option than Melo is and Iverson was an inefficient chucker.

He's never had success as a first option, similar to Love. Therefore he's not a first option. He's probably a great second option.

You see this is an argument i'll never understand. You put him on a team with Marc Gasol, Al Horford, Wes Matthews and Mike Conley and he's winning an NBA title hands down as the first option. Theres only two players in today's current NBA that can turn ANY team into a contender and that's LBJ and KD. You put the right starting lineup around a player like Melo and he can absolutely win as a first option.

Bill Simmons wrote a good article about winning with Melo as your first option: http://grantland.com/features/carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-legacy/

Tony_Starks
02-28-2015, 04:29 PM
I can't say Melo. He took his team to the playoffs from day 1 in the loaded west. No shame in that. Him and Lebron switch draft places and we'd be having a entirely different conversation. Hell, Joe Dumars doesn't trick off his draft pick on Darko and Melo has 2 rings minimum in Detroit....

Tony_Starks
02-28-2015, 04:30 PM

he is 24 haha, and actually was better this year than I thought he would be. Yet another injury slowed him down. I have hopes for him yet, and I have been his biggest critic.

Not sure if you meant to, but you named all Wolves players.

Oh you know that's intentional man. A tribute to your boy Kahnnnnnnnn!

Chronz
02-28-2015, 04:34 PM
I can't say Melo. He took his team to the playoffs from day 1 in the loaded west. No shame in that. Him and Lebron switch draft places and we'd be having a entirely different conversation. Hell, Joe Dumars doesn't trick off his draft pick on Darko and Melo has 2 rings minimum in Detroit....
Agreed. Melo would have done much worse in Cleveland and no way Detroit would be dumb enough to pass on LeBron had that happened. They took Darko because they knew Melo's potential was more limited. You have to give Melo alot of advantages for him to change the discussion in your story.

sportfan73
02-28-2015, 04:35 PM
andre iguodala. Had that year of 19.9 pts 6 and 6. I thought the breakout was coming.

HouRealCoach
02-28-2015, 04:37 PM

Wow, all Timberwolves... Sad thing is, a lot more could be added

Goose17
02-28-2015, 04:38 PM
You see this is an argument i'll never understand. You put him on a team with Marc Gasol, Al Horford, Wes Matthews and Mike Conley and he's winning an NBA title hands down as the first option. Theres only two players in today's current NBA that can turn ANY team into a contender and that's LBJ and KD. You put the right starting lineup around a player like Melo and he can absolutely win as a first option.

Bill Simmons wrote a good article about winning with Melo as your first option: http://grantland.com/features/carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-legacy/

In that situation Gasol would absolutely be the first option. Maybe not in terms of scoring, but he would be their best player. So I agree, put him on a team where he's the second best player, he'll win.

That's not what I expected, I thought he would be a champion as the best player on a team.

Shady66
02-28-2015, 05:19 PM

Good picks

nastynice
02-28-2015, 05:23 PM

x2. These guys are like poster boy "what ifs". It hurts to think of these two because we saw them have healthy years and play elite or near elite ball so young in their careers, so we KNOW what they were capable of. Sky was the limit, just so disappointing to see such talented, hard working, successful players go down and get decimated by injuries.

YAALREADYKNO
02-28-2015, 05:26 PM
Yi JianLian some people said he was gonna be as good if not better than Yao because of his ability to shoot

nastynice
02-28-2015, 05:27 PM

I'm back and forth on melo. He's a really good player, but I dont know how to explain, he just doesn't seem to put that fear in opponents. And given how quickly he was playing at such a high level, kind of expected him to keep growing and getting better, but just never really seemed to happen.

I wouldn't call him a disappointment, that's too strong a word, but I def had higher hopes for him. Thought he'd be hunting for nba titles on an almost yearly basis, but I can't really remember when he was a serious part of that discussion.

PurpleLynch
02-28-2015, 07:26 PM
It's hard,on top of my mind:

-Stoudmire
-Kemp
-Oden(not his fault though,just unluckiest career in the Nba imo).
-Francis
-Sprewell
-Rose(yes,he's already in the list. Unfortunately he also share the same path of Oden,even if he showed crazy potential in the Nba).
-Beasley
-T.Thomas(by the way ,what is he doing now?

D-Leethal
02-28-2015, 10:11 PM
In that situation Gasol would absolutely be the first option. Maybe not in terms of scoring, but he would be their best player. So I agree, put him on a team where he's the second best player, he'll win.

That's not what I expected, I thought he would be a champion as the best player on a team.

First option and best player are not one in the same. Melo is one of the best scorers in the NBA - of course he is capable of being a first option scorer on a title team. You just need the right mix of guys around him to cover his deficiencies - you know - thats how basketball works.

kobe4thewinbang
02-28-2015, 11:56 PM
Tracy McGrady

What Happened to TJ Ford?Insane back injuries. I still remember that nasty fall.

kobe4thewinbang
02-28-2015, 11:56 PM
Michael Beasley.

ewing
02-28-2015, 11:59 PM
Josh Howard

Man was an allstar once and then fell off the face of the earth after they found weed in his system

totally forgot about that dude. what happened?

YAALREADYKNO
03-01-2015, 12:06 AM
totally forgot about that dude. what happened?

Off the court issues and never really developed his game after a few seasons. Took too many jumpshots for a pretty athletic guy and a ACL injury when he was with the wizards didnt help him either

Ty Fast
03-01-2015, 12:12 AM
Greg Oden

FraziersKnicks
03-01-2015, 06:32 AM
Holy **** can you imagine if Melo went 1st to Cleveland?! No way Detroit pass on LeBron. He comes away with a title in his rookie year and probably wins at least another 2 whilst that Pistons team is at the height of their power.

Billups
Hamilton
LeBron
Sheed
Big Ben

That would literally have been the perfect team. You're then looking at a 23/24 year old LeBron with 3 rings.

ewing
03-01-2015, 08:43 AM
Holy **** can you imagine if Melo went 1st to Cleveland?! No way Detroit pass on LeBron. He comes away with a title in his rookie year and probably wins at least another 2 whilst that Pistons team is at the height of their power.

Billups
Hamilton
LeBron
Sheed
Big Ben

That would literally have been the perfect team. You're then looking at a 23/24 year old LeBron with 3 rings.

unless Sheed ****ed his Mom, they collapsed in the playoffs, and he bounced

jimm120
03-01-2015, 10:06 AM
Melo has been a 20ppg OR MORE his whole career. He's been a top 10 NBA player consistently since 2008 or so.

Unless you expected him to be Lebron, I don't know how much better someone can be.

jimm120
03-01-2015, 10:11 AM

Billups
Hamilton
LeBron
Sheed
Big Ben

Not just Lebron. Melo, Lebron, Wade, and Bosh. ANY of them could score. Detroit needed scoring. You put any of them on that Detroit team and they probably win their 2nd finals AND extend their reign a bit longer.

Lebron didn't get his teams to the playoffs right away, but he lead them to the finals by 2007 or 2008.

Melo lead his bottom feeder team to the playoffs for 8 consecutive years (and then 3 years with the Knicks, who were also bottom dwellers before amare and him got there)

Wade got a championship in 2006 with Shaq as the #1.

Bosh...well, Bosh could score.

ALL of them would have helped them. They chose wrong because they could "afford to take someone that needed development". 3 of those 4 players consistently took the team to the playoffs for years and years.

jimm120
03-01-2015, 10:20 AM
again...a topic of why Melo isn't good because he's not Lebron.

Look guys, Lebron has elite passing skills. not every big has that. Lebron is Lebron. You can't hold it against Melo for him not being Lebron.

Goose17
03-01-2015, 11:21 AM
again...a topic of why Melo isn't good because he's not Lebron.

Look guys, Lebron has elite passing skills. not every big has that. Lebron is Lebron. You can't hold it against Melo for him not being Lebron.

For me it's more about him not being able to be the best player on a winning team. He will only find true success as the second best on a team (team him up with Gasol, Davis etc etc)

Goose17
03-01-2015, 11:21 AM
Melo or LeBron on that Pistons squad would have been deadly.

Vee-Rex
03-01-2015, 12:08 PM
Howard is the most disappointing for me.

That's not to say he has had a bad career. He has had a good one, but EXTREMELY disappointing for me given his potential.

D-Leethal
03-01-2015, 01:07 PM
For me it's more about him not being able to be the best player on a winning team. He will only find true success as the second best on a team (team him up with Gasol, Davis etc etc)

He has been the best player on a winning team all but 2 seasons in his career. You've been talking in circles, spewing nonsense and changing your argument throughout this entire thread.

Mr.B
03-01-2015, 01:08 PM
Omar Cook: should have stayed in school. If he learned how to shoot before going to the NBA he could have been a solid starting PG.

Leon Smith: dude was big and very athletic. Unfortunately had some serious mental issues. The Mavs tried for a while to help him get his life in order but he was too far gone.

Eddie Griffin: another very talented big man. Couldn't stay off the sauce. It eventually contributed to his death at 25 years old.

GodsSon
03-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Vince Carter.

Looked like the second coming in Toronto and even though he's had a long career, his peak were his first 3 years.

nycericanguy
03-01-2015, 02:43 PM

He's never had success as a first option, similar to Love. Therefore he's not a first option. He's probably a great second option. .

Melo's team winning year by year %

52%
60%
54%
55%
61%
66%
65%
61%
55%
66%
45%

And finally this years disaster...

Kevin Love

29%
18%
21%
39%
38%
49%

Yea you're right, Melo has never had any success as 1st option, just like Love :rolleyes:

actually before the last 2 years I believe Melo's team had higher winning % than even Lebron, Durant, Wade...etc... which is pretty amazing considering Melo spent most of his career out west and has never played with anywhere near the talent that LBJ, Wade, Durant, Kobe..etc... have.

It's obvious you just don't like Melo, I get it, he's not the most like able star. But to say he's never had success as a 1st option is just sillyness and comes across as a hater.

In a way PSD puts Melo on some sort of pedestal, because he's the only star that is expected to win alone.

IBleedPurple
03-01-2015, 04:34 PM
Melo has had better teams.....

Anyway, Oden, Kwame, D-Will, Amare, Penny, McGrady, Roy, Kemp, Vince Carter, Baron Davis, Yao, Walton, Grant Hill, Bias come to mind.

nycericanguy
03-01-2015, 05:58 PM
Melo has had better teams.....

Anyway, Oden, Kwame, D-Will, Amare, Penny, McGrady, Roy, Kemp, Vince Carter, Baron Davis, Yao, Walton, Grant Hill, Bias come to mind.

of course that plays a role, Melo isn't going to take this garbage roster NY has now and put them in the playoffs, I don't even think Lebron could.

but the point is he absolutely has had success as the #1 option on teams, Love hasn't.

And Love has had some talent... I mean he had Pek, Rubio, Brewer, Barea, & Martin and still couldn't crack .500.

Meanwhile Melo took Tyson, Felton, & JR to 54 wins.

Jeffy25
03-01-2015, 06:59 PM
I remember thinking Darius Miles would be something... yeah, no

ewing
03-01-2015, 08:37 PM
If you made more then 1 all stars game you shouldn't come up in this thread. there are plenty of thread to trash and defend Melo

Goose17
03-02-2015, 08:15 AM
Melo's team winning year by year %

52%
60%
54%
55%
61%
66%
65%
61%
55%
66%
45%

And finally this years disaster...

Kevin Love

29%
18%
21%
39%
38%
49%

Yea you're right, Melo has never had any success as 1st option, just like Love :rolleyes:

actually before the last 2 years I believe Melo's team had higher winning % than even Lebron, Durant, Wade...etc... which is pretty amazing considering Melo spent most of his career out west and has never played with anywhere near the talent that LBJ, Wade, Durant, Kobe..etc... have.

It's obvious you just don't like Melo, I get it, he's not the most like able star. But to say he's never had success as a 1st option is just sillyness and comes across as a hater.

In a way PSD puts Melo on some sort of pedestal, because he's the only star that is expected to win alone.

I meant real success. Playoff success. Accolades.

Besides, put those Knicks teams in the West and they wouldn't have looked nearly as good. Plus he had more support than Love.

Goose17
03-02-2015, 08:17 AM
If you made more then 1 all stars game you shouldn't come up in this thread. there are plenty of thread to trash and defend Melo

That's not true. Plenty of people mentioned in here deserve to be mentioned and plenty of them made all star games. The all star game is a popularity contest it has nothing to do with who the best players are.

Goose17
03-02-2015, 08:19 AM
He has been the best player on a winning team all but 2 seasons in his career. You've been talking in circles, spewing nonsense and changing your argument throughout this entire thread.

I mean actually winning. Winning championships. Winning conference titles. Winning playoff series. Winning where winning matters.

I haven't changed my argument at all. Point out specifically where I changed my argument. Quote the posts.

PhillyFaninLA
03-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Derrick Coleman....if he had heart and a work ethic he could have been one of the best ever. When he tried no one stopped him, but that didn't happen often.

Chrisclover
03-02-2015, 08:56 AM
what players did you see really developing into something who just didn't

I always loved Franciso Gracia. Marcus Fizer was another one that i just kept expecting to turn into a player.
Rose , Tmac, Arenas ,Yao and Linsanity.

Chrisclover
03-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Eddy Curry. Could've been Shaq 2.0
Clearly an overstatement. Oden says hi.

ewing
03-02-2015, 09:27 AM
That's not true. Plenty of people mentioned in here deserve to be mentioned and plenty of them made all star games. The all star game is a popularity contest it has nothing to do with who the best players are.

you're a disappointment

Goose17
03-02-2015, 10:13 AM
you're a disappointment

:laugh:

slashsnake
03-02-2015, 10:23 AM
I remember thinking Darius Miles would be something... yeah, no

I always liked him too...

Joe Smith.. great NBA journeyman but after watching his start in Golden State I thought he was going to be a star.

Chronz
03-02-2015, 12:23 PM

What has Gasol and Davis ever won to make you think they could be the best player on a winning team?

Who else do you have on this list of "winners"?

omdigga
03-02-2015, 02:16 PM
omar cook.

wish he stayed at St. Johns for another yearl

Goose17
03-02-2015, 02:54 PM
What has Gasol and Davis ever won to make you think they could be the best player on a winning team?

Who else do you have on this list of "winners"?

Davis is literally just in the league.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Melo has made it past the first round only once with N.Y? In the piss weak East?

Gasol is winning in a MUCH tougher conference and has a conference finals appearance at least. As well as individual accolades such as the DPOY.

Fact is, I didn't expect Gasol to be as good as he is. Therefore he's not a disappointment.

The only thing that makes someone's career a disappointment is whether or not they lived up to your expectations. I had high expectations for Melo. He didn't live up to them. Thus, disappointment.

Jamiecballer
03-02-2015, 02:57 PM
I'm with Goose. Melo is undoubtedly in the category of big time disappointment. People said he was going to be great.

FraziersKnicks
03-02-2015, 03:02 PM
I'm with Goose. Melo is undoubtedly in the category of big time disappointment. People said he was going to be great.

And the guy is on track to be a 10+ time all-star and crack the 30K point plateau... How is that a big time disappointment? Because the guy hasn't achieved any TEAM accolades? The only thing he has control over is what HE does, and what HE has done is hardly a disappointment in my opinion.

Unless you thought he was gonna be better than LeBron.

Goose17
03-02-2015, 03:34 PM
And the guy is on track to be a 10+ time all-star and crack the 30K point plateau... How is that a big time disappointment? Because the guy hasn't achieved any TEAM accolades? The only thing he has control over is what HE does, and what HE has done is hardly a disappointment in my opinion.

What about individual accolades? Never been in an All-first team. Never been an MVP or even close to being one.

He's never even managed to get his team to the conference finals despite how weak the East is and has been for a while.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, far from it. I really like his game and he's EASILY one of the top SFs from his era and will be remembered as such.

I'm just saying I expected MORE.

Did I overrated? Expect too much? Maybe. But that doesn't change the fact that I expected more from him, which makes him a disappointment to me. Maybe others expected less, so he's not a disappointment.

People need to realise that having a disappointing career isn't synonymous with having a BAD career. And it is subjective, it's only disappointing depending on what your expectations were.

Mr.B
03-02-2015, 09:34 PM
omar cook.

wish he stayed at St. Johns for another yearl

He's one of the guys I mentioned too. If he had stayed all 4 years and developed a consistent mid range game he'd probably still be in the NBA. I looked him up the other day and he's actually still playing in some other league.

Mr.B
03-02-2015, 09:35 PM
Sebastian Telfair is another guy that was a huge disappointment. Both him and his cousin Marbury. If Marbury wasn't such a selfish player and had stayed in Minnesota he and KG might have actually got a ring there.

Jamiecballer
03-02-2015, 10:07 PM

I expected him to be consistently one of the best players in the league. IMO he hasn't been. I also personally expected a lot more growth in his game especially the mental side. For all the fanfare I expected more Jordan, less Dominique Wilkins.

D-Leethal
03-02-2015, 10:14 PM
What about individual accolades? Never been in an All-first team. Never been an MVP or even close to being one.

He's never even managed to get his team to the conference finals despite how weak the East is and has been for a while.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, far from it. I really like his game and he's EASILY one of the top SFs from his era and will be remembered as such.

I'm just saying I expected MORE.

Did I overrated? Expect too much? Maybe. But that doesn't change the fact that I expected more from him, which makes him a disappointment to me. Maybe others expected less, so he's not a disappointment.

People need to realise that having a disappointing career isn't synonymous with having a BAD career. And it is subjective, it's only disappointing depending on what your expectations were.

He is a future HOFer, but he is a failure because he couldn't make the conference finals with JR Smith and Tyson Chandler as his sidekicks? Ok then...

And he was third in MVP voting two years ago, I think that qualifies as close. He was drafted with LeBron James and they play the same position - trashing him for not making an first ream all NBA you should at least end the sentence with "over LeBron".

b_russ
03-03-2015, 01:21 AM
I had high hopes for Courtney Alexander taken 13th out of Fresno State. He was in and out of the league over 6 years.

People had high hopes for Royce White and looked to him to be a possible ambassador for athletes with anxiety issues. Drafted 16th, played 3 games, only 20 D-League games.

Goose17
03-03-2015, 02:53 AM
He is a future HOFer, but he is a failure because he couldn't make the conference finals with JR Smith and Tyson Chandler as his sidekicks? Ok then...

A sixth man of the year and defensive player of the year? Sorry were you trying to make a point there?

trashing him for not making an first ream all NBA you should at least end the sentence with "over LeBron".

Last I checked there was two forwards in the All-first teams. If LeBron was one consistently. How come Melo could never manage to be the other? He lost out to KD, Nowitzki, Garnett, Stoudemire.

Again. I'm not saying his career is disappointing for everyone. I just had higher expectations for him than you did (clearly). So I find him to be disappointing.

PurpleJesus
03-03-2015, 03:28 AM
Sebastian Telfair is another guy that was a huge disappointment. Both him and his cousin Marbury. If Marbury wasn't such a selfish player and had stayed in Minnesota he and KG might have actually got a ring there.

Was just about to post these exact same two players.

PurpleJesus
03-03-2015, 03:53 AM
OJ Mayo who was thought to have the star talent over the guy he was traded for on draft night
Michael Beasley who has the physical makeup to be one of the leagues premiere players, but just can't get it right
Tyrus Thomas who had the most upside of anyone in his draft class
Marvin Williams see Tyrus Thomas
Ben Gordon who was one of the up and coming stars while with the Bulls
Darius Miles
Steve Francis who was ROY, and a three time all star, and then basically faded away after he got upset that Orlando traded his buddy Cutino Mobley

Ariza's Better
03-03-2015, 06:10 AM
I can't say any players who's careers aren't over because their careers aren't over. So, my choice is Steve Francis.

kingsdelez24
03-03-2015, 01:31 PM
Tony Allen Pre-injury. He was carrying the load for an injured celtics team, and then blows out his knee, never reaching the same level offensively ever again

KnicksorBust
03-03-2015, 01:39 PM
I'm not touching that Melo debate. :laugh:

The first person that came to my mind was Adam Morrison. I'm a big fan of guys that play with a lot of emotion and he looked like the next Dirk. He was amazing his last year in college and turns out he can't even stick in the league. He wasn't even a Bargnani.

Verbal Christ
03-03-2015, 01:56 PM
Brandon Roy should have been special.

lkingratedr
03-03-2015, 01:59 PM
latrell freakin sprewell ... this guy here had all the talent but his ego got in his way how you turn down 21 million dollars and say i cant feed my kids with 21 million ... smh

muelly
03-03-2015, 02:28 PM
latrell freakin sprewell ... this guy here had all the talent but his ego got in his way how you turn down 21 million dollars and say i cant feed my kids with 21 million ... smh

Darius Miles
Jonathon Bender
Dajaun Wagner
Shawn Livingston
Andrew Bogut

Wonder what they could've become without injuries

as a bucks fan I hope were not wondering about Paul George here on out. Clearly he and Derrick Rose have excelled higher than those listed but if they don't have a chance to excel further it'll be unfortunate.

muelly
03-03-2015, 02:30 PM

Lets not forget he choked his coach!

ewing
03-03-2015, 04:38 PM
Lets not forget he choked his coach!

When Spree played he got about as much as was possible out of his talent. That guy brought an 8 seeded knicks team to the NBA finals and KG to the WCF

D-Leethal
03-03-2015, 04:58 PM
When Spree played he got about as much as was possible out of his talent. That guy brought an 8 seeded knicks team to the NBA finals and KG to the WCF

Seriously. Spree was 34 in his 12th year in the league when he turned down that contract. If you were too young to remember, than ****ing look it up before posting. You're already on the internet for christsakes.

ewing
03-03-2015, 05:07 PM
Seriously. Spree was 34 in his 12th year in the league when he turned down that contract. If you were too young to remember, than ****ing look it up before posting. You're already on the internet for christsakes.

He was a 2/3 with range out to about 16 feet and he was still an absolute monster at both ends, in transition, and in the 1/2 court

D-Leethal
03-03-2015, 05:42 PM
He was a 2/3 with range out to about 16 feet and he was still and absolute monster at both ends, in transition, and in the 1/2 court

I wish someone would bring back the tomahawk. Too many one handers out there nowadays. I appreciate Rose for the tomahawk.