PDA

View Full Version : Harden: 'I'm the best'

Sanjay
02-26-2015, 07:16 PM
During the Rockets vs Clippers game last night on ESPN, they aired a short clip of James Harden where he said he is the best all-round player in the league. Now, I am not saying he should not have said this, but what do you guys think of his response? I guess the PC answer would be "I don't rate myself against other players, I just want to win", but how do you juggle being confident, but grounded? I am sure if Kevin Durant or Stephen Curry were asked the same question they would give a more subtle answer.

Regarding Harden saying he is the best all-round player in the NBA, if it was the best offensive player this season or the MVP then I could buy it, but best all-round player? That includes defense right?

goingfor28
02-26-2015, 07:18 PM
Heard that last night. Surprised it took this long for this thread to be made.
What's he supposed to say? No I'm not. Give me a break.

SteBO
02-26-2015, 07:20 PM
He's far from the best....but can't blame him for saying it.

Blitzace137
02-26-2015, 07:24 PM
He's far from the best....but can't blame him for saying it.

How many guys are really ahead of him with the exception of LeBron as far as best all around players go?

Sanjay
02-26-2015, 07:24 PM
Heard that last night. Surprised it took this long for this thread to be made.
What's he supposed to say? No I'm not. Give me a break.

I probably would have gone with the "I don't rate myself against other players".

Sanjay
02-26-2015, 07:27 PM
How many guys are really ahead of him with the exception of LeBron as far as best all around players go?

AD, Klay, Paul, Marc? I think you could make a case for most of the options in the poll that they are better all-round than Harden.

JV35
02-26-2015, 07:33 PM
I probably would have gone with the "I don't rate myself against other players".Honestly, that's probably what he should have said.

It's obvious that a lot of the stuff being said and written about him is going to his head.

(Still, I have a hard time taking anyone seriously who has that much money and won't get his teeth fixed.)

cmellofan15
02-26-2015, 07:37 PM
AD, Klay, Paul, Marc? I think you could make a case for most of the options in the poll that they are better all-round than Harden.

AD is arguable, the others nope.

and the only other players (outside of AD) i think a case could be made for LeBron and Curry, but LeBron's case would be going off of history and not so much how he's played this season. personally, I'd go with Curry.

but as for him saying he's the best, who really cares? I'd be surprised if he said anything but that.

IndyRealist
02-26-2015, 07:37 PM
Didn't he say this a year ago? It was rehashed ad nauseum then.

rockets-fan
02-26-2015, 08:01 PM
I mean all around is more than just , can he play D and O. It's his passing rebounding steals scoring, yes defense is a part but it's not 50%. There are other factors that go into being an all around player. And he's up there with the best

tredigs
02-26-2015, 08:02 PM
Lebron's not having the regular season we're accustomed to and KD's hurt. He has a good enough case that the confidence is warranted. I do not agree, but he's in the conversation at least.

KnicksorBust
02-26-2015, 08:14 PM
If you are in the NBA, you are ****ing incredible at basketball. If you start for an NBA team then you are a basketball god. If you are an All-NBA player and/or a legit MVP candidate? Then hell yeah you should be going around say "i'm the best"

Love it.

He's dead wrong. LeBron is still the best but I love it.

PurpleLynch
02-26-2015, 08:25 PM
He's wrong,but I don't despise his confidence. He's clearly a Mvp candidate,so he can say it. But he's wrong anyway,Lebron is still the best all around player in the league.

rhino17
02-26-2015, 08:39 PM
Any top 5-10 player should have that mentality

and he is arguably the MVP of the league right now, no problem with him saying that

Htownballa1622
02-26-2015, 08:51 PM
Honestly, that's probably what he should have said.

It's obvious that a lot of the stuff being said and written about him is going to his head.

(Still, I have a hard time taking anyone seriously who has that much money and won't get his teeth fixed.)

I agree with everyone saying it's good that he has the confidence but imo he's still not THE best. He's in the conversation especially after this season but he can still get better.

I just quoted u because I thought it was funny how misinformed you are. James has had braces/ for a few months now and his teeth are almost straight.

But hey its better to just throw **** at the wall and hope it sticks huh?

I also guess u don't take Anthony Davis seriously either?

SPURSFAN1
02-26-2015, 08:54 PM
MVP so far. :cheers:

Kaner
02-26-2015, 08:57 PM
I probably would have gone with the "I don't rate myself against other players".

That's a loser response, completely agree with KoB's post.

and the only other players (outside of AD) i think a case could be made for LeBron and Curry, but LeBron's case would be going off of history and not so much how he's played this season. personally, I'd go with Curry.

but as for him saying he's the best, who really cares? I'd be surprised if he said anything but that.

No way, a case could definitely be made for Lebron, Curry, AD, Paul, Westbrook, and Durant, to say Harden is head and shoulders above any of those guys is just wrong. A case could also be made for Gasol or Cousins too, though I wouldn't agree.

Hawkeye15
02-26-2015, 09:12 PM

why? What do you people think drives the best players? It's confidence.

Nothing wrong with what he said here. By seasons end, he will get MVP votes, as he should.

Hawkeye15
02-26-2015, 09:13 PM
If you are in the NBA, you are ****ing incredible at basketball. If you start for an NBA team then you are a basketball god. If you are an All-NBA player and/or a legit MVP candidate? Then hell yeah you should be going around say "i'm the best"

Love it.

He's dead wrong. LeBron is still the best but I love it.

thread over. Seriously.

Tony_Starks
02-26-2015, 09:28 PM
When he plays on 2k I have no doubt Haren is the best....

Trwood12
02-26-2015, 09:43 PM
He has an ego. Guess what. So does every nba player ever. Not a big deal at all.

mightybosstone
02-26-2015, 09:44 PM
If you're an MVP candidate and someone asks you if you're the best player in the league, what do you expect him to say? He's having arguably the best season of anyone in the league, and he's absolutely in the discussion as the league's best player. Plus, it's not like he went out of his way to brag about it or was arrogant about it. If you saw the actual interview, he clearly wasn't trying to boast, and he openly said he didn't mean disrespect to the other great players in the NBA.

As a Rockets fan, I wouldn't want the guy to answer that question any other way. You want your superstar players to have that mentality and play with that edge and that confidence.

JasonJohnHorn
02-26-2015, 10:50 PM
When one says 'all around', I put a lot of weight on defense.

Davis is in the running for DPOY in my mind (Gasol as well). On that end, he's at the top of the league, especially with steals and blocks, but also with man-to-man D, Team D and Rim Protection. He is what Dwight was a few years ago, but with a higher IQ and not needless volleyball spikes into the stands when he blocks a shot (which makes those blocks even more valuable). On offense, he is extremely efficient, and on the glass he is among the best in the league, and the guys who are above him aren't scoring like him.

The only thing that Davis doens't do at an elite level is rack up assists, but he passses the ball well and keps his turnovers down. I'm going with Davis because the D is amazing and the scoring and rebounding are elite.

LBJ, Curry and Harden all have the passing on Davis, but he outrebounds all of them and carries a far larger imapct on D than any of them.

But... there are a few legit answers here. Curry, LBJ and Harden are there, and Gasol and Westy are having a great year.

FOBolous
02-26-2015, 11:13 PM
if the only thing you're knickpicking on Harden is his average defense and using that to say he's not the best all around player in the league...then so isn't any other player. every player in the list has a hole in the game...AD, as a big man, doesn't have the ball handling skills and playmaking skills of Harden. Leonard, while strong on defense, is pedestrian on offense. neither is he the ball distributor and playmaker Harden is. and i can go on.

Vampirate
02-26-2015, 11:16 PM
This is a non issue, you want your best players who happen to be an mvp candidate to have that mentality.

archdevil84
02-26-2015, 11:34 PM
i take wade over harden any day

THE MTL
02-27-2015, 12:09 AM
I think any guy of Harden's league should say that they are the best. Same goes for Durant, Curry, Westbrook, Paul, etc....those guys should have that type of mindset

mightybosstone
02-27-2015, 12:14 AM

Because you're a Heat fan, because you're a homer and because you're so very, very wrong.

Vampirate
02-27-2015, 12:22 AM
Because you're a Heat fan, because you're a homer and because you're so very, very wrong.

Prime Wade over Prime Harden yes (and yes I don't think Harden will be as good as Wade has been in the past)

Current Wade over current Harden no.

ewing
02-27-2015, 12:22 AM
i tend to agree with him.

NYKnickFanatic
02-27-2015, 12:27 AM
Westy.

YAALREADYKNO
02-27-2015, 12:39 AM
Well I think it's safe to say that after tonight it's still lebron. Am I the only one thinking that he could come back and win MVP this yr if he keeps this up or do y'all think its clearly between harden and curry at this point?

Sadds The Gr8
02-27-2015, 01:31 AM
Love it

FlashBolt
02-27-2015, 01:41 AM
Let's see in the playoffs if this holds true..

G_S_W
02-27-2015, 02:10 AM
Let's see in the playoffs if this holds true..

Harden has been absolutely horrible in two consecutive postseasons for the rockets.

His offensive prowess in the regular season is heavily predicated on ticky tack fouls, phantom calls, and flopping. Once the officiating tightens up allowing for more physical play, harden is up ---- creek without a paddle.

FlashBolt
02-27-2015, 02:22 AM
Harden has been absolutely horrible in two consecutive postseasons for the rockets.

His offensive prowess in the regular season is heavily predicated on ticky tack fouls, phantom calls, and flopping. Once the officiating tightens up allowing for more physical play, harden is up ---- creek without a paddle.

Yeah, that's why I don't buy into his hype. He let us down and he let Houston down as well. The thing with Harden is that he doesn't play well when he doesn't get his calls. Like really, whenever he has a bad offensive game, he gets bailed out with 16 free throws. His defense isn't worth mentioning. His game reminds me a lot like Wade minus the shooting. But with Wade, you knew he would show up to the playoffs. Harden doesn't even show up.

numba1CHANGsta
02-27-2015, 02:48 AM
LOL Harden is way too cocky, he hasn't done crap as the main guy. Wait to win the NBA championship to say you're the best cuz rings speak louder than words bruh

goingfor28
02-27-2015, 02:48 AM
What? Lol no way in hell

goingfor28
02-27-2015, 02:49 AM
LOL Harden is way too cocky, he hasn't done crap as the main guy. Wait to win the NBA championship to say you're the best cuz rings speak louder than words bruh
Kobe was 2nd fiddle to Shaq

numba1CHANGsta
02-27-2015, 03:10 AM
Kobe was 2nd fiddle to Shaq

And Kobe was first fiddle when he lead the Lakers to 3 straight NBA Finals appearances in '08-'10 and won 2 championships

Need some icing for that burn bro? ;)

goingfor28
02-27-2015, 03:13 AM
And Kobe was first fiddle when he lead the Lakers to 3 straight NBA Finals appearances in '08-'10 and won 2 championships

Need some icing for that burn bro? ;)
Icing is for cakes

Goose17
02-27-2015, 03:23 AM
He said this before the season started :/ old news.

FraziersKnicks
02-27-2015, 09:35 AM
He's having a great season, as is Curry, AD and Westy but Bron is still the best player in the league.

archdevil84
02-27-2015, 09:47 AM
i also hate james harden with my entire life and Dwade is my favorite player so that should explain my reason;)

Vinylman
02-27-2015, 10:17 AM
I agree with everyone saying it's good that he has the confidence but imo he's still not THE best. He's in the conversation especially after this season but he can still get better.

I just quoted u because I thought it was funny how misinformed you are. James has had braces/ for a few months now and his teeth are almost straight.

But hey its better to just throw **** at the wall and hope it sticks huh?

I also guess u don't take Anthony Davis seriously either?

Man o man Houston fans are defensive... why do you feed the trolls?

Htownballa1622
02-27-2015, 10:23 AM
Man o man Houston fans are defensive... why do you feed the trolls?

Try going through this for the past two years and see if you don't want to respond to all the morons out there that speak bs.

Goose17
02-27-2015, 10:46 AM
It's still LeBron imo. Just FYI.

SeoulBeatz
02-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Any top 5-10 player should have that mentality

and he is arguably the MVP of the league right now, no problem with him saying that

This.

The Harden hate on this site is ridiculous.

Vinylman
02-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Try going through this for the past two years and see if you don't want to respond to all the morons out there that speak bs.

As a Laker fan I have never taken the bait on Kobe trolls... let it go

Verbal Christ
02-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Kobe would start a team with Harden

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-kobe-bryant-would-build-his-team-around-james-harden/2015/02/24/

Lakers News: Kobe Bryant Would Build His Team Around James Harden

DaBear
02-27-2015, 01:17 PM
No you're not

JustinTime
02-27-2015, 01:48 PM
During the Rockets vs Clippers game last night on ESPN, they aired a short clip of James Harden where he said he is the best all-round player in the league. Now, I am not saying he should not have said this, but what do you guys think of his response? I guess the PC answer would be "I don't rate myself against other players, I just want to win", but how do you juggle being confident, but grounded? I am sure if Kevin Durant or Stephen Curry were asked the same question they would give a more subtle answer.

Regarding Harden saying he is the best all-round player in the NBA, if it was the best offensive player this season or the MVP then I could buy it, but best all-round player? That includes defense right?

Harden needs to STFU he gets outplayed by rookie Wiggins every time they meet.

Sanjay
02-27-2015, 07:06 PM

Haha orthodontists/dentists probably can't do anything with that beard in the way! Lol

Sanjay
02-27-2015, 07:21 PM

So Harden has been so much better offensively than everybody else that that makes up for his below-par defense? Have you been watching LeBron this season, especially of late?

Sanjay
02-27-2015, 07:27 PM
I mean all around is more than just , can he play D and O. It's his passing rebounding steals scoring, yes defense is a part but it's not 50%. There are other factors that go into being an all around player. And he's up there with the best

Good point, I think other factors are often overlooked, but I believe defense should be valued at the top with scoring and assisting when you are talking about an all-round player, possibly even first because at the end of the day defense wins championships.

Sanjay
02-27-2015, 07:40 PM
He's wrong,but I don't despise his confidence. He's clearly a Mvp candidate,so he can say it. But he's wrong anyway,Lebron is still the best all around player in the league.

I think some people get mixed up with with the terms 'MVP' and 'best all-round player', although I think the MVP should not just be specifically-skilled player, Harden probably is the most valuable player to a team in the league because without Howard for much of the season, Houston are only 2.5 games back of the 2nd seeded Grizzlies. Luckily for James, Beverley and Ariza's defense has made up for his lack of it.

Sanjay
02-27-2015, 07:47 PM
That's a loser response, completely agree with KoB's post.

No way, a case could definitely be made for Lebron, Curry, AD, Paul, Westbrook, and Durant, to say Harden is head and shoulders above any of those guys is just wrong. A case could also be made for Gasol or Cousins too, though I wouldn't agree.

I agree with your second quote, but regarding your first, so guys like Durant and Curry are losers?

Sanjay
02-27-2015, 07:52 PM
When one says 'all around', I put a lot of weight on defense.

Davis is in the running for DPOY in my mind (Gasol as well). On that end, he's at the top of the league, especially with steals and blocks, but also with man-to-man D, Team D and Rim Protection. He is what Dwight was a few years ago, but with a higher IQ and not needless volleyball spikes into the stands when he blocks a shot (which makes those blocks even more valuable). On offense, he is extremely efficient, and on the glass he is among the best in the league, and the guys who are above him aren't scoring like him.

The only thing that Davis doens't do at an elite level is rack up assists, but he passses the ball well and keps his turnovers down. I'm going with Davis because the D is amazing and the scoring and rebounding are elite.

LBJ, Curry and Harden all have the passing on Davis, but he outrebounds all of them and carries a far larger imapct on D than any of them.

But... there are a few legit answers here. Curry, LBJ and Harden are there, and Gasol and Westy are having a great year.

This

Sanjay
02-27-2015, 07:56 PM
if the only thing you're knickpicking on Harden is his average defense and using that to say he's not the best all around player in the league...then so isn't any other player. every player in the list has a hole in the game...AD, as a big man, doesn't have the ball handling skills and playmaking skills of Harden. Leonard, while strong on defense, is pedestrian on offense. neither is he the ball distributor and playmaker Harden is. and i can go on.

Fair enough point, but every player has a defensive responsibility. Of course Davis and most big men do not have the handles/playmaking of a guard because they are 6'10+.

Sanjay
02-27-2015, 08:00 PM

What is so wrong about that? Wade has two rings (including 2006 when he averaged 35 points per game in the Finals) and is a great defensive guard (possibly the best guard shot-blocker ever).

Sanjay
02-27-2015, 08:05 PM
Well I think it's safe to say that after tonight it's still lebron. Am I the only one thinking that he could come back and win MVP this yr if he keeps this up or do y'all think its clearly between harden and curry at this point?

I think he can still win it if he gets the Cavs up to the second seed, but it will probably go to either Harden or Curry because the league likes somebody else to win it (ala Rose 2010-11 and Durant last season). Also, the Rockets have been consistent all year without Howard and the Warriors have the best record in the NBA.

Sanjay
02-27-2015, 08:09 PM
Icing is for cakes

I think he meant icing as in ice lol.

Sanjay
02-27-2015, 08:12 PM
Kobe would start a team with Harden

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-kobe-bryant-would-build-his-team-around-james-harden/2015/02/24/

I assume Kobe would be getting great defenders at the 1 and 3 for that team.

Saddletramp
02-27-2015, 08:18 PM
^11 in a row. Don't think I've ever seen that.
i also hate james harden with my entire life and Dwade is my favorite player so that should explain my reason;)

With your entire life? Jesus H, man. Get a life.

Tony_Starks
02-27-2015, 08:22 PM
When Harden gets out of the first round this statement may actually carry some weight with it...

Sanjay
02-27-2015, 08:33 PM
^11 in a row. Don't think I've ever seen that.

With your entire life? Jesus H, man. Get a life.

Did not want to create a massive multi-quote post. I only login once a day in the holidays and it is my thread if you did not know. Obviously I would not do that on other people's forums, I only read interesting threads until they become boring once and post if I have something different to say.

kobe4thewinbang
02-28-2015, 01:07 AM
He's good at scoring and stepback 3's. Defense? Not so much. I've never seen him pass the ball.

Verbal Christ
02-28-2015, 01:49 AM
He's good at scoring and stepback 3's. Defense? Not so much. I've never seen him pass the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqGt1Tof18k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyrl5kE3S0c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSU8AxRIoBE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roWv3ZXOS3Y

he's averaging 7 assists per game dude cmon now.

Tony_Starks
02-28-2015, 01:57 AM

He is actually dropping dimes this year, shockingly enough. D has actually improved from a huge joke to just not very good. That team USA stint was the best thing for him...

Kaner
02-28-2015, 04:39 AM
I agree with your second quote, but regarding your first, so guys like Durant and Curry are losers?

Durant is on record saying he's the best player in the world and that he has always believed he was, Curry said last summer he's a better offensive player then Lebron.

DaBear
02-28-2015, 04:43 AM
"I'm the best..at choking in the playoffs"

zn23
02-28-2015, 05:04 AM
1. Westbrook
2. Harden
3. Curry

IMO

True Rocket
02-28-2015, 08:18 AM

You should check out the Rockets Sunday on Abc sense you never seen Harden play.

Goose17
02-28-2015, 08:24 AM
Westbrook getting major love/hype on this board right now.

mightybosstone
02-28-2015, 09:10 AM
He is actually dropping dimes this year, shockingly enough. D has actually improved from a huge joke to just not very good. That team USA stint was the best thing for him...

It's actually not surprising at all that Harden has been piling up assists this season. Sure, he's 10th in the league in APG and is second among non-PGs, barely behind Lebron at 7.0 per game. But it's not like he wasn't still the Rockets best playmaker the last two seasons when he put up 5.8 and 6.1 APG. His AST% has increased each season in Houston from 25.7 to 27.3 to 35.0.

mightybosstone
02-28-2015, 09:13 AM

Then you're clearly not watching him play. This comes off as extremely ignorant. In face, Kobe never once had a better season as a passer or playmaker in his career than Harden is having right now.

Goose17
02-28-2015, 09:17 AM
Harden is one of only three non-point guards in the top 20 for assists this season (LeBron and Evans fyi)

How could say you've never seen the guy pass? Come on man.

mightybosstone
02-28-2015, 09:25 AM
Westbrook getting major love/hype on this board right now.

Yeah. And I get it to some extent because his numbers have been pretty jaw dropping. But the dude has not been an efficient scorer this season at all. And he ought to be productive, considering he's on pace to post the fourth highest USG% in the history of the NBA. He's like one percentage point away from Kobe's FU season in 05-06 when he took 27 shots per game. And Kobe was way more efficient than Westbrook has been this year.

I get the love for Westbrook's gaudy numbers, but look at how he's doing it. He's taking 21 shots per game to score 26 points, and he's shooting 43.2% from the floor and 27.8% from the 3-point line. And, sure, he scored 39 and 40 points the last two nights, but it took him 38 and 32 shots to get those points, and OKC lost both games.