PDA

View Full Version : A Kobe vs. LeBron Finals that never happened

LakersIn5
02-25-2015, 08:40 AM
For the past 8 years either Kobe or Lebron's team have made the NBA finals with Lebron making 5 and Kobe with 3 but never did it happen that both of them made the finals at the same season.

Breakdown of the last 8 Nba finals
2007 LeBron's Cavs L
2008 Kobe's Lakers L
2009 Kobe's Lakers W
2010 Kobe's Lakers W
2011 Lebron's Heat L
2012 Lebron's Heat W
2013 Lebron's Heat W
2014 Lebron's Heat L

Although Kobe is like 6 years older than Lebron both players were still top 5 at the same time for a number of seasons in Lebron's prime and near the end of Kobe's prime. Both players have won 2 rings in the last 8 seasons and have also suffered loses in the finals but never against each other. We could have witnessed 2 of the top 10 players of all time go right at each other during their semi/prime but unfortunately it didnt happen.

So the my question, out of all the last 8 years which season do you think was the closest to having a kobe vs lebron finals matchup?

LakersIn5
02-25-2015, 08:50 AM
I have 2009 as my answer. Kobe was the defending MVP, Lebron was the reigning MVP. Cavs had the best record in the league and the Celtics were injured and without KG during the playoffs i believe. Lakers on the other hand made the finals even after alot of people were rooting for the nuggets to win the WCF. Too bad the Cavs lost in the ECF to the magic. I was seriously already expecting a cavs-lakers finals but dwight's magic beat the cavs and went on to lose to the lakers in the finals.

Then 2nd place for me would be 2011. Lakers were back to back champions and Lebron just jumped ship miami. Miami made the finals but lakera got swept in the semis.

A close 3rd would be 2013. Lakers formed their big 4 after getting nash who was coming off a 15/10 season and almost leading the suns to the playoffs and a dwight howard who was at that time considered as the best center. Bottom line injuries killed the lakers and kobe's career which led to a 1st round sweep.

hidalgo
02-25-2015, 09:31 AM
i'm just glad we got to see Michael VS Magic. absolutely perfect way for Jordan to get his first title, by taking the torch from Magic (& getting through the badboys in the ECF). avoiding those 2 wouldn't have been as sweet. the fact Michael gaurded Magic 80% of the time made it more intense as well

Goose17
02-25-2015, 09:57 AM
No Jordan vs Kobe. No Kobe vs LeBron and only one LeBron vs Durant when LeBron was at his peak and KD wasn't quite there yet. I wonder if we'll get to see LeBron and KD go at it within the next 2 years?

Anyway, I think 2009 or 2011 is the right answer to your question.

Slug3
02-25-2015, 10:26 AM
2009 and 2011 were the times they both could have made it. Then in 2011 everyone just ran into a hot Dallas team.

Hangtime
02-25-2015, 10:57 AM
Its kind of weird that we had two of the greatest players during their era playing at their peak and yet no meaningful games that defines this rivalry. No playoff series to speak of. The only way they could have met was the finals. People will speak more about Durant and Lebron since they faced off. I thought the best chance came in 2009 when Orlando upset Lebron. The Celtics were down and really the only thing standing in Lebron's way. We all just knew it was gonna be Kobe vs Lebron. I would have rather seen that matchup too.

Its a shame really. There hasn't been any great rivalries in the NBA for a long time. Spurs/Lakers back in the day and maybe Heat/Celtics were noteworthy thats about it.

Teeboy1487
02-25-2015, 11:21 AM
2009 and 2011 were the best chances imo. Too bad a Dallas team had to get hot that year in 2011. Hopefully this year we get the Warriors and the Cavs or the Grizz vs Hawks.

Tony_Starks
02-25-2015, 02:55 PM
'09 would've been perfect. Both players were dominant. Had those dope Kobe and Lebron puppet commercials. Could've shut the debate down between the fans of each but somebody didn't show up for the finals so we had to take it out on poor Dwight....