PDA

View Full Version : GM Revision: Select a player from each draft - 2009

Jeffy25
02-24-2015, 11:07 PM
Okay.

I am doing something similar in the MLB section, but I am going to provide a different twist here.

The set up is as follows, you are a GM, and you know the past history of every player up to today. But you get to go back in time, and pretend you have the 16th pick in every draft, and you need to assemble the best roster that you possibly can.

Anyone that was in the first 15 picks does not count. You have to choose the best player that will fill your roster correctly and try to build the most competitive team possible. Remember, players must be able to play the position that you assign them to and must have played multiple minutes in multiple appearances at that position in the NBA to qualify for that position.

Here is how it works:

We are starting in 2003. The first fifteen players are already off the board, and you have the 16th pick, in real life Boston took Troy Bell. But you get to have the privelege of hindsight and get to select whoever you think will help you build the best possible roster.

When you finish, and get to the 2014 NBA draft, we will see who we believe would have the most competitive roster assembled. Note, you can take someone that was an undrafted free agent as well, like a Jeremy Lin, but you need to take him in the year that he would have been drafted, for Lin that would be 2010. I will post up to 29 possible selections, and you can select an Other, but please tell us who you would have taken.

Each poll will last 3 days, and then we will go on to the next year.

Jeffy25
02-24-2015, 11:12 PM
My roster

PG – Kyle Lowry - 2006
SG -
SF –
PF - Serge Ibaka - 2008
C – Marc Gasol - 2007
Bench
PG – Ty Lawson - 2009
SG – Kyle Korver - 2003
SF –
PF - Anderson Varejo - 2004
C –
Misc - David Lee - 2005
Misc –

Shammyguy3
02-25-2015, 01:11 AM
PG – Kyle Lowry (06)
SG - Kevin Martin (04)
SF –
PF - Serge Ibaka (08)
C – Marc Gasol (07)
Bench
PG – Ty Lawson (09)
SG –
SF –
PF -David West (03)
C – Marcin Gortat (05)
Misc -
Misc –

Lawson, Matthews, Danny Green, Jeff Teague are possible choices here imo. This is the first year Teague has really impressed me, so I'd take Lawson over him. And i'd take Lawson over the shooting guards because he's just the better player.

OlivaThor
02-25-2015, 05:21 AM
My roster

PG – Goran Dragic - 2008
SG -
SF – Kyle Korver - 2003
PF - Paul Millsap - 2006
C – Marc Gasol - 2007
Bench
PG – Ty Lawson - 2009
SG – Kevin Martin - 2004
SF –
PF - David Lee - 2005
C –
Misc -
Misc –

cmellofan15
02-25-2015, 01:35 PM
PG - Kyle Lowry
SG - Ty Lawson
SF -
PF - Ibaka
C - Marc Gasol
Bench
PG -
SG - Gerald Green
SF - Kyle Korver
PF - Anderson Varejao
C -
Misc -
Misc -

was between Ty and Matthews. Ty is the better player and my personal favorite so it was a pretty easy choice haha

Goose17
02-25-2015, 03:54 PM
This is difficult, I was trying to build a team with a starting 5 of two way players that all had reasonable length so they could switch a lot on picks. I've had to rethink a couple of guys, this one was very tough for me. Do I draft the best talent or the better fit? Wes and Danny Green are probably the best fit imo, but not the best talent available.

I really like Ty. But I want good defense on the wing...

PG -
SG - Wesley Mathews '09
SF -
PF - Paul Millsap '06
C - Marc Gasol '07
Bench
PG - Goran Dragic '08
SG - Kyle Korver '03
SF - Tony Allen '04
PF -
C - Marcin Gortat '05
Misc -
Misc -

dalton749
02-25-2015, 08:12 PM
PG – Ty Lawson- 2009
SG -
SF – Kyle korver- 2003
PF - Serge Ibaka- 2008
C – Marc Gasol-2007
Bench
PG –
SG – Monta Ellis- 2005
SF –
PF - Paul Millsap- 2006
C –
Misc -
Misc –Kevin Martin- 2004

mightybosstone
02-25-2015, 10:24 PM
PG: Kyle Lowry (06)
SG: Kyle Korver (03)
SF:
PF: Serge Ibaka (08)
C: Marc Gasol (07)
Bench
PG: Ty Lawson (09)
SG: Tony Allen (04)
SF:
PF: David Lee (05)
C:
Misc:
Misc:

I considered Teague, but I like Lawson a little better as a 6th man off the bench who can spark the offense. And you could make a strong case for Matthews as the best overall player in the group, but I have another wing in mind who I know will be available and there's only so many minutes to go around at SG/SF.

Kaner
02-27-2015, 04:23 AM
PG - Jeff Teague 2009
SG -Kyle Korver- 2003
SF - Trevor Ariza-2004
PF - Serge Ibaka- 2008
C - Marc Gasol- 2007
Bench
PG -
SG -
SF -
PF -Paul Millsap- 2006
C - Marcin Gortat- 2005
Misc -
Misc -

Bruno
02-27-2015, 04:24 PM
PG- Jeff Teague (2009)
W- Kyle Korver (2003)
W- Jimmy Butler (2011)
PF- Paul Milsapp (2006)
C- Marc Gasol (2007)

G- Eric Bledsoe (2010)
G- Monta Ellis (2005)
W- Trevor Ariza (2004
PF- Serge Ibaka (2008)
C- Rudy Gobert (2013)
W- Khris Middleton (2012)
C- Jusuf Nurkic (2014)

my bad, I filled mine out to completion, as opposed to stopping at 2009 like everyone else. or did I?

J_M_B
02-27-2015, 08:51 PM
PG - Kyle Lowry '06
SG - Tony Allen '04
SF -
PF - Serge Ibaka '08
C - Marc Gasol '07
Bench
PG - Ty Lawson '09
SG -
SF - Kyle Korver '03
PF - David Lee '05
C -
Misc -
Misc -

kobe4thewinbang
02-27-2015, 09:50 PM
I think you guys are doing it wrong. Every player has to be from the 2003 draft?

ewing
02-28-2015, 02:10 AM
Okay.

I am doing something similar in the MLB section, but I am going to provide a different twist here.

The set up is as follows, you are a GM, and you know the past history of every player up to today. But you get to go back in time, and pretend you have the 16th pick in every draft, and you need to assemble the best roster that you possibly can.

Anyone that was in the first 15 picks does not count. You have to choose the best player that will fill your roster correctly and try to build the most competitive team possible. Remember, players must be able to play the position that you assign them to and must have played multiple minutes in multiple appearances at that position in the NBA to qualify for that position.

Here is how it works:

We are starting in 2003. The first fifteen players are already off the board, and you have the 16th pick, in real life Boston took Troy Bell. But you get to have the privelege of hindsight and get to select whoever you think will help you build the best possible roster.

When you finish, and get to the 2014 NBA draft, we will see who we believe would have the most competitive roster assembled. Note, you can take someone that was an undrafted free agent as well, like a Jeremy Lin, but you need to take him in the year that he would have been drafted, for Lin that would be 2010. I will post up to 29 possible selections, and you can select an Other, but please tell us who you would have taken.

Each poll will last 3 days, and then we will go on to the next year.

great idea. sorry i didn't see it sooner

Goose17
02-28-2015, 09:05 AM
I think you guys are doing it wrong. Every player has to be from the 2003 draft?

Lol, what? You take one player from each draft class. Starting from '03 and ending in '14. We are currently on '09 so the next thread will be our picks from '10

Giannis94
02-28-2015, 11:02 PM
Why isnt Joe Alexander an option for 2008?

Shammyguy3
03-01-2015, 12:56 AM
Why isnt Joe Alexander an option for 2008?

Because he was drafted in the top-15.

"But you get to go back in time, and pretend you have the 16th pick in every draft, and you need to assemble the best roster that you possibly can.

Anyone that was in the first 15 picks does not count. "

Matter.
03-01-2015, 01:03 AM
PG – Kyle Lowry (06)
SG - Monta Ellis (05)
SF –
PF - Serge Ibaka (08)
C – Marc Gasol (07)
Bench
PG – Ty Lawson (09)
SG –
SF – Kyle Korver (2003)
PF - Josh Smith (2004)
C –
Misc -
Misc -

Jeffy25
03-01-2015, 07:07 PM
In every thread, we have people who are unable to follow along by simply reading the opening post.

Didn't have this issue once in the MLB forum. Surprising.

About to do 2010 (tonight sometime)

Shammyguy3
03-01-2015, 07:55 PM
In every thread, we have people who are unable to follow along by simply reading the opening post.

Didn't have this issue once in the MLB forum. Surprising.

About to do 2010 (tonight sometime)

While unproven, I think it's a fact that sports fans who put baseball first have farrrr more patience than other sport fans

Goose17
03-02-2015, 04:26 AM
While unproven, I think it's a fact that sports fans who put baseball first have farrrr more patience than other sport fans

Because their game is so slow? Probably have a point there.

cmellofan15
03-02-2015, 10:43 AM
yeah, you may have a point shammy..but then again a lot the guys that post here in the nba forum aren't very bright..

Jeffy25
03-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Because their game is so slow? Probably have a point there.

Baseball has a game inside of a game that is far more fascinating.

An author once described baseball as 6 minutes of action in a 3 hour game. And it's true. The value in the game is the build-up, and that each pitch has a ton of potential behind it. The game in the game is game theory (much like chess) and is about planning and executing pitches and swings based on sequential orders.

There is more to the game than resides on the surface. But it's boring to most on the surface, and fascinating to those who get past it.

I find basketball boring outside of the final two minutes (for the most part).

There are streaks and runs, and those can be fun. and off the ball movements are important. And little things matter, like boxing out properly, etc.

But phantom foul calls, and ego driven, one on five players annoy me.

I enjoy parts of the NBA, while other parts annoy me. All of baseball I find enjoyable though. And it's really because of how important strategy is. And then the execution of that strategy. Idiots don't do well in baseball, and the game quickly weeds them out (unless they are freak athletes, in which they last until they start to decline just a little - like Puig will).

Goose17
03-02-2015, 11:32 AM
I don't know about idiots not doing well. Plenty of stupid baseball players.

Each to their own though. Wasn't debating what the better sport is (although the correct answer is basketball ;) ) I was just saying that baseball is long, a game of baseball goes on for hours. So it makes sense that baseball fans have more patience, if we were to generalise.

Shammyguy3
03-02-2015, 10:13 PM
yeah, you may have a point shammy..but then again a lot the guys that post here in the nba forum aren't very bright..

Not gonna disagree with you there either. I'd guess half of the lesser active posters don't bother determining what the purpose of the thread is if it isn't explained in 2 or less sentences, or even in the thread title itself

Jeffy25
03-04-2015, 02:28 AM
I don't know about idiots not doing well. Plenty of stupid baseball players.

Each to their own though. Wasn't debating what the better sport is (although the correct answer is basketball ;) ) I was just saying that baseball is long, a game of baseball goes on for hours. So it makes sense that baseball fans have more patience, if we were to generalise.

Fwiw, the average baseball game takes 3 hours and 8 minutes from first pitch to final pitch
An average NBA game, from tip-off to final buzzer takes 2 hours and 6 minutes.

So that's an extra hour of your attention ;)