PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Wiggins Defense On James Harden

Clippersfan86
02-24-2015, 02:27 AM
Dude has absurd defensive potential. Love it. I can't remember the last time I've seen a 19 year old wing play D like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJnarXYrFSs&feature=youtu.be

mightybosstone
02-24-2015, 02:39 AM
Wiggins is an excellent defensive player, and that was a fine play. But just to play devil's advocate for a moment, let's not forget that the same step back jumper shown here worked multiple times for Harden tonight against the kid or that he still put up 31 points in a triple double.

Supreme LA
02-24-2015, 02:46 AM
The kid has great potential to become a lock down defender someday. I don't know if anybody has enough energy to sustain the type of defense needed to shut down a chucker like Harden throughout an entire game though. It just takes too much energy out of you. But who knows, if Wiggins' only goal for the game was to contain him I'm sure he could do a really good job.

Containing a guy like Steph Curry or Durant is a different story though. Only team defenses can stop those type of players because they can score in a myriad of ways and don't always try to force isolation plays.

zn23
02-24-2015, 04:23 AM
Pay attention to his footwork it's amazing.

rockets-fan
02-24-2015, 05:27 AM
The kid has great potential to become a lock down defender someday. I don't know if anybody has enough energy to sustain the type of defense needed to shut down a chucker like Harden throughout an entire game though. It just takes too much energy out of you. But who knows, if Wiggins' only goal for the game was to contain him I'm sure he could do a really good job.

Containing a guy like Steph Curry or Durant is a different story though. Only team defenses can stop those type of players because they can score in a myriad of ways and don't always try to force isolation plays.

Troll.

Zefflin
02-24-2015, 05:52 AM
Certainly a much better defender then James Harden.

c.c.
02-24-2015, 08:27 AM
Certainly a much better defender then James Harden.

Troll #2

PurpleLynch
02-24-2015, 08:53 AM
He did an amazing job considering age and Nba's experience. But,hands down,Harden was terrific(even though his fg% was low). A triple double with 4 blocks and 1 steal is an outstanding performance anyway.

mightybosstone
02-24-2015, 08:59 AM

This just comes off as ignorant. Anyone who calls Harden a "chucker" has no freaking clue what they're talking about. Chuckers don't shoot 45% from the floor, 39% from the 3-point line and boast or a 61% TS%. Chuckers also don't take a third of their shots in the paint or drive to the rim as often as Harden does. That term does not describe him in the slightest.

And while Stephen Curry is a phenomenal shooter and a superior passer, I don't understand how anyone could see him as a more varied scorer than Harden. Harden's easily the more versatile scoring threat than Curry. And if either of these guys was a chucker, it would be Curry. The guy is a ridiculous shooter, but I've seen him pass up wide up layups to other players for a contested 32-footer. Yeah, he still makes that shot quite a bit. But his 3-point percentage would likely be better if his shot selection improved a bit.

IndyRealist
02-24-2015, 09:32 AM
. Anyone who calls Harden a "chucker" has no freaking clue what they're talking about. Chuckers don't shoot 45% from the floor, 39% from the 3-point line and boast or a 61% TS%.

And if either of these guys was a chucker, it would be Curry. The guy is a ridiculous shooter, but I've seen him pass up wide up layups to other players for a contested 32-footer. Yeah, he still makes that shot quite a bit. But his 3-point percentage would likely be better if his shot selection improved a bit.

Two contradictory statements. Stephen Curry is 48.1% fg, 40% from 3, 62.1% ts. Per minute the two of them take the same # of fga, with curry taking a bit more 3s and harden getting to the line more.

Either could easily be described as a chucker. Or neither, since "chucker" is not well defined. But to say harden isn't but curry is simply can't be true. Any definition that eliminates harden eliminates curry.

A difference of opinion is not trolling. Rockets fans need to realize people mess with you because you get so defensive and say outlandish things.

mightybosstone
02-24-2015, 10:19 AM
Two contradictory statements. Stephen Curry is 48.1% fg, 40% from 3, 62.1% ts. Per minute the two of them take the same # of fga, with curry taking a bit more 3s and harden getting to the line more.
I was aware of Curry's superior percentages. Believe me. I'm checking these guys stats on a weekly basis. My comment about Curry had nothing to do with his percentages, but rather the nature of his shot selection.

Either could easily be described as a chucker. Or neither, since "chucker" is not well defined. But to say harden isn't but curry is simply can't be true. Any definition that eliminates harden eliminates curry.
"Chucker" is a totally overused term on this site. It seems like any player who takes a lot of shots and is disliked by the forum is described as a chucker regardless of whether or not the player is efficient. If you're making shots, then chucker seems like a pretty unfair term. Kobe was a chucker this season. Josh Smith is a chucker. Rudy Gay historically has been the king of chuckers (although he's improved considerably in Sacramento). But Harden and Curry are not chuckers. Let's save that word for players who truly deserve it.

A difference of opinion is not trolling. Rockets fans need to realize people mess with you because you get so defensive and say outlandish things.
Except it's not a difference of opinion. Nobody said ANYTHING about Curry or Durant or Harden's offensive game. The dude came in completely out of the blue and criticized Harden's offensive game, stating that Curry and Durant are essentially better scorers. That's the very definition of trolling.

I'm all for some healthy debate, and I don't get overly defensive by a well thought out opinion that differs from my own. But that's clearly not what that guy was shooting for.

jerellh528
02-24-2015, 10:33 AM
I can't wait to see what he will be doing at 25. I hope he's a hard worker because he has all the tools. Congrats minny.

Vee-Rex
02-24-2015, 10:53 AM
All I'm seeing is people taking shots at Harden in various threads unprovoked. Kind of sad he got that much hate coming at him.

Wiggins is gonna be great. It's why I wanted him to stay a Cav, but I guess it couldn't be helped.

IndyRealist
02-24-2015, 10:56 AM
I was aware of Curry's superior percentages. Believe me. I'm checking these guys stats on a weekly basis. My comment about Curry had nothing to do with his percentages, but rather the nature of his shot selection.

"Chucker" is a totally overused term on this site. It seems like any player who takes a lot of shots and is disliked by the forum is described as a chucker regardless of whether or not the player is efficient. If you're making shots, then chucker seems like a pretty unfair term. Kobe was a chucker this season. Josh Smith is a chucker. Rudy Gay historically has been the king of chuckers (although he's improved considerably in Sacramento). But Harden and Curry are not chuckers. Let's save that word for players who truly deserve it.

Except it's not a difference of opinion. Nobody said ANYTHING about Curry or Durant or Harden's offensive game. The dude came in completely out of the blue and criticized Harden's offensive game, stating that Curry and Durant are essentially better scorers. That's the very definition of trolling.

I'm all for some healthy debate, and I don't get overly defensive by a well thought out opinion that differs from my own. But that's clearly not what that guy was shooting for.

Without empirical evidence, I feel like Harden DOES iso more than curry or durant. Harden seems to like the walk up 3 to try to catch defenses off guard, and the rockets predicate their offense on harden either iso or attacking off of a sceen. Conversely, curry and durant take more assisted, spot up jumpers or coming off screens, though they also attack in the same way as harden to a lesser degree. They are in different offenses and get different looks. Does that make harden easier to guard? That's a matter of opinion, if no one is providing numbers. But his FTA and eFG suggest he's pretty hard to guard.

mightybosstone
02-24-2015, 11:13 AM
Without empirical evidence, I feel like Harden DOES iso more than curry or durant. Harden seems to like the walk up 3 to try to catch defenses off guard, and the rockets predicate their offense on harden either iso or attacking off of a sceen.
But you're acting as if that's Harden's fault somehow. Harden isn't drawing up the plays and saying, "I'm going iso 8-10 times a game." They have to do that, because they don't have hardly any other players who can create their own shot for themselves. Also, McHale isn't great at drawing up plays, particularly in the final minutes of games.

chi-townlove1
02-24-2015, 11:20 AM

This just comes off as ignorant. Anyone who calls Harden a "chucker" has no freaking clue what they're talking about. Chuckers don't shoot 45% from the floor, 39% from the 3-point line and boast or a 61% TS%. Chuckers also don't take a third of their shots in the paint or drive to the rim as often as Harden does. That term does not describe him in the slightest.

And while Stephen Curry is a phenomenal shooter and a superior passer, I don't understand how anyone could see him as a more varied scorer than Harden. Harden's easily the more versatile scoring threat than Curry. And if either of these guys was a chucker, it would be Curry. The guy is a ridiculous shooter, but I've seen him pass up wide up layups to other players for a contested 32-footer. Yeah, he still makes that shot quite a bit. But his 3-point percentage would likely be better if his shot selection improved a bit.

Leave it to you to turn this from a wiggins defense thread to a let's praise harden thread. Bye.

LanceUpperCut
02-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Yes the Kid is going to be great, once he fills out a little more and is more accustom to the NBA life style the sky's the limit. Him and Parker are going to be great players and great people for the NBA to shine the spot light on in future years.

HoopsDrive
02-24-2015, 11:59 AM
That is absurd defense for a rookie. The footwork is ridiculous, couple that with above average athletic ability and you got an all-defensive for years to come.

JustinTime
02-24-2015, 12:07 PM
He'll be the face of the NBA soon no doubt. But Harden was scoring at will in the 4th on him with a three in his face, and he also drew a foul on him while shooting another three.

CluTcH_c1tY
02-24-2015, 12:23 PM
I was thinking the same thing last night watching this kid play. There was a series where he guarded Harden and contested the shot beautifully and turned around for a athletic throw down on the other end. I feel like Cleveland screwed up trading this kid but I understand their motive.

kdspurman
02-24-2015, 12:25 PM
Wow, that's a lot of dribbling lol... Nice sequence though

DubbyDubbs
02-24-2015, 12:53 PM
Wiggins D'd him up well there. Even on some of the possessions where he got scored on, he played good D but harden is just a great scorer.

mightybosstone
02-24-2015, 12:55 PM
Leave it to you to turn this from a wiggins defense thread to a let's praise harden thread. Bye.

I had no intention of doing that. But Supreme felt like he needed to turn it from a Wiggins defense thread into a Harden offense bashing thread. Am I not entitled to defend the best player on my favorite team?

BHF
02-24-2015, 01:00 PM
This is what i call great defense not some garbage that Tony Allen and Patrick Beverley do by holding grabbing and pulling every position and getting away with it.

0nekhmer
02-24-2015, 01:03 PM
I love how defensive rockets fans get on this forum aha

mightybosstone
02-24-2015, 01:08 PM
I love how defensive rockets fans get on this forum aha

:facepalm: Never mind.

chi-townlove1
02-24-2015, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=mightybosstone;29652662]:facepalm: Never mind.[/QUOT

You're more than entitled to defend your guy. But, don't turn it to a harden is a better player than Curry situation. And try not to turn away from the point of this thread, which is giving Wiggins his dues. I would say leave it at that and let it go.

mightybosstone
02-24-2015, 01:20 PM
You're more than entitled to defend your guy. But, don't turn it to a harden is a better player than Curry situation. And try not to turn away from the point of this thread, which is giving Wiggins his dues. I would say leave it at that and let it go.

If everyone could ignore the trolls, PSD would be a better place. I try not to respond, but for someone who loves to argue, my instinctive reaction is to prove the person wrong. But don't blame me for derailing the thread (which didn't even happen by the way). Blame the troll for trolling in the first place.

ThuglifeJ
02-24-2015, 01:34 PM
Dannggg

nastynice
02-24-2015, 01:36 PM
pretty impressive op, for a rookie to do that against one of the top offensive players in the game, and imo the top scorer this year, that's pretty amazing.

Poor cleveland, again showing why they have one of the most incompetent FO in all of sports.

sep11ie
02-24-2015, 01:37 PM

This dude...

sep11ie
02-24-2015, 01:38 PM

Wiggins is 10 times the player Jimmy Butler and DRose are.

chi-townlove1
02-24-2015, 01:50 PM
You trying to troll sep?

mightybosstone
02-24-2015, 01:57 PM
pretty impressive op, for a rookie to do that against one of the top offensive players in the game, and imo the top scorer this year, that's pretty amazing.

Poor cleveland, again showing why they have one of the most incompetent FO in all of sports.
The funny thing is, at the time, I think most everyone in here (myself included) thought the Wiggins for Love swap was a great deal for Cleveland. It's crazy how quickly public opinion on that deal is starting to turn. If Love ends up walking after this year, and the Cavs don't win the title, that deal will seem like a complete failure.

And if Wiggins ends up reaching the potential as an elite NBA player and a future Hall of Famer, this might historically go down as one of the worst, most infamous trades in NBA history. But the verdict is still out on all of this. Wiggins still has a lot of improvement to make and Love still has to walk from a damn good basketball team for that to be the case.

HoopsDrive
02-24-2015, 02:20 PM
The funny thing is, at the time, I think most everyone in here (myself included) thought the Wiggins for Love swap was a great deal for Cleveland. It's crazy how quickly public opinion on that deal is starting to turn. If Love ends up walking after this year, and the Cavs don't win the title, that deal will seem like a complete failure.

And if Wiggins ends up reaching the potential as an elite NBA player and a future Hall of Famer, this might historically go down as one of the worst, most infamous trades in NBA history. But the verdict is still out on all of this. Wiggins still has a lot of improvement to make and Love still has to walk from a damn good basketball team for that to be the case.

It could already go down as one of the most infamous trades as early as this summer if Love walks and Cavs don't go all the way... they'd have traded the #1 pick for a failed rental basically. I mean, even if Wiggins turns out to be just a decent player, if Love walks, this trade goes down as one of those mind boggling ones.

I realize hindsight is 20/20 though, a lot of people were saying this was a great trade for Cavs when it happened... but if Love walks, man that's gonna suck for the Cavs.

JustinTime
02-24-2015, 02:34 PM
It could already go down as one of the most infamous trades as early as this summer if Love walks and Cavs don't go all the way... they'd have traded the #1 pick for a failed rental basically. I mean, even if Wiggins turns out to be just a decent player, if Love walks, this trade goes down as one of those mind boggling ones.

I realize hindsight is 20/20 though, a lot of people were saying this was a great trade for Cavs when it happened... but if Love walks, man that's gonna suck for the Cavs.

Wiggins is already an above average player I doubt he's going to turn out to be decent.

Vee-Rex
02-24-2015, 02:41 PM

Actually David Griffin has done a pretty decent job with the Cavs this year. Trading to bring in Mozgov, Shump, and JR was a terrific move.

The Love trade is entirely dependent on if he stay and if the Cavs can win a ring with him. Trading Wiggins was a really tough pill to swallow, which is why so many Cavs fans on PSD were being trolled for wanting to keep him. But it had to be done to get Love, and as much bashing Love gets this year he is still an important piece. Without him we just aren't as good.

My honest opinion is that the Cavs just need to make it to the finals, and as long as they're contending and LBJ isn't rapidly declining or anything then Love will stay. We'll see though, I certainly hope he stays.

Hawkeye15
02-24-2015, 02:57 PM
he had a nice first half guarding Harden, no doubt. He got caught reaching into the cookie jar a few times in the 3rd and fouled Harden on dribble drives. Look, nobody can stop Harden 1-1 for 37 minutes. But Wiggins shows unreal defensive potential. I have went from thinking he would be closer to a Loul Deng in his prime, to thinking he will be much better than that.

Wiggins is exciting for us Wolves fans, finally

nastynice
02-24-2015, 02:58 PM

Did people really think that? But how? We already KNEW from Miami experiment that 3 ball dominant players just isn't efficient. SOMEONE is gonna have to sacrifice their game, why pay top dollar for that??

I don't know, sounded like a train wreck from day 1 to me, even if Love was more productive this year (I def didn't expect him to be THIS inefficient), IMO, just not a good basketball move, not a good team move. Sounded more like a desperation move

nastynice
02-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Actually David Griffin has done a pretty decent job with the Cavs this year. Trading to bring in Mozgov, Shump, and JR was a terrific move.

The Love trade is entirely dependent on if he stay and if the Cavs can win a ring with him. Trading Wiggins was a really tough pill to swallow, which is why so many Cavs fans on PSD were being trolled for wanting to keep him. But it had to be done to get Love, and as much bashing Love gets this year he is still an important piece. Without him we just aren't as good.

My honest opinion is that the Cavs just need to make it to the finals, and as long as they're contending and LBJ isn't rapidly declining or anything then Love will stay. We'll see though, I certainly hope he stays.

Oh yea, what u mentioned were solid moves for sure. But I'm thinking to lebrons last stint, just so many bad moves. N then Giving up wiggins for love is just bad no matter how u try n slice it. No need to pick up an offensive player like that with Irving and James on the squad. You need a defensive presence. It's already just a flat out bad move, IMO, on top of that u give up wiggins for that, I just dont get it, I dont get the thought process. I'm not a fan of their FO, to be lucky enough to land these type of #1 picks, and then just do this plug n chug crap instead of actually building a TEAM, it's just not smart IMO.

Hopefully tide is turning, the pick ups u mentioned are definitely good. Wether it works out or not who knows, but at least I can say its a sound basketball move IMO

Goose17
02-24-2015, 03:14 PM
Damn... that was an impressive few seconds of defense against an elite offensive player. Played him almost perfectly. I've only seen him play a few times this year and I thought he gambled a little too much, seemed to reach quite a bit. But obviously my analysis was completely wrong, this kid can play some serious lock down defense for a rook.

Can't wait to see how he turns out.

Zefflin
02-24-2015, 03:33 PM
Troll #2

Been here 2 years longer kid...use your eyes first and then brain next before typing stupid ****.

Nothing surprizing about Wiggens being a better defender already in his rookie season...any blind guy can see that.

PurpleJesus
02-24-2015, 03:36 PM
Seemed every play last night Wiggins was playing Harden like that, and Harden still dropped 30.

FlashBolt
02-24-2015, 03:36 PM
Even with his potential, I don't think Cavs had a choice. Waste LeBron's prime years to develop Andrew Wiggins? Meh, not exactly going to be worth his time. Cavs also needed Love (granted, he's not playing up-to-par). It would be difficult to see this Wiggins under Cavs; especially since you also had Waiters. Would he get any playing time? His defense is the one thing Cavs really needed. He can guard PG/SG/SF. Needs to get a bit bigger and he could seriously be a threat and an easy top five player.

Goose17
02-24-2015, 03:38 PM
Even with his potential, I don't think Cavs had a choice. Waste LeBron's prime years to develop Andrew Wiggins?

I don't disagree, they were right to make the deal. But LeBrons prime years? I think he's on the wrong side of his prime now, the decline will be very small and very slow until his like mid 30s probably. But he's not in his prime now imo.

IndyRealist
02-24-2015, 03:40 PM
But you're acting as if that's Harden's fault somehow. Harden isn't drawing up the plays and saying, "I'm going iso 8-10 times a game." They have to do that, because they don't have hardly any other players who can create their own shot for themselves. Also, McHale isn't great at drawing up plays, particularly in the final minutes of games.

Really confused why you cut off the 2nd part of my post, only to agree with me, essentially.

"They are in different offenses and get different looks. Does that make harden easier to guard? That's a matter of opinion, if no one is providing numbers. But his FTA and eFG suggest he's pretty hard to guard."

Way too quick to get defensive, man. Kind of proving my point.

mightybosstone
02-24-2015, 04:20 PM

Mmm.... If Wiggins doesn't turn into at least a fairly consistent All-Star caliber player, than history will probably view it as a trade worth making. Because you're talking about a player in Love who was a top 5-10 guy for years in Minnesota. Would you gamble on one year of an elite player to win your franchise's fist title over the chance to draft just an above average starter? I certainly would.

Wiggins is already an above average player I doubt he's going to turn out to be decent.
There's still a long way for Wiggins to go before he's even playing at an All-Star caliber level. I don't doubt that he's going to get there, but let's not crown the kid yet.

mightybosstone
02-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Did people really think that? But how? We already KNEW from Miami experiment that 3 ball dominant players just isn't efficient. SOMEONE is gonna have to sacrifice their game, why pay top dollar for that??
Ummm.... Because it worked? If you go to four straight NBA Finals and win two championships in all four years of a four-year experiment in the NBA, then that four-year experiment was a resounding success. And this trio has the potential to be every bit as good on paper.

I don't know, sounded like a train wreck from day 1 to me, even if Love was more productive this year (I def didn't expect him to be THIS inefficient), IMO, just not a good basketball move, not a good team move. Sounded more like a desperation move
Based on what, exactly? I just don't get this thought process at all. You have one talented young cornerstone and add the greatest player in the world, who also happens to be one of the most unselfish superstars in NBA history and a guy who thrives around stretch 4s. Instead of waiting for a very young question mark of a rookie to develop, you trade for probably the best stretch 4 and arguably the best PF period in the entire NBA.

What exactly isn't to like about that deal? Personally, I think you're just saying that because Love has struggled a bit and Wiggins is playing well.

BoSox47
02-24-2015, 04:37 PM
Harden is awful at defense. Look at him completely lose wiggins behind him at the end of the video. Might be the worst defender at his position in the league, no joke.

Hawkeye15
02-24-2015, 04:46 PM
Seemed every play last night Wiggins was playing Harden like that, and Harden still dropped 30.

Harden started bowling his way to the rim drawing fouls, and finally got a couple of those tough ones to drop. They also started setting picks in Wiggins to get him off Harden more in the 2nd, instead of going pure iso on all Harden't scoring attempts.

JustinTime
02-24-2015, 04:59 PM
Mmm.... If Wiggins doesn't turn into at least a fairly consistent All-Star caliber player, than history will probably view it as a trade worth making. Because you're talking about a player in Love who was a top 5-10 guy for years in Minnesota. Would you gamble on one year of an elite player to win your franchise's fist title over the chance to draft just an above average starter? I certainly would.

There's still a long way for Wiggins to go before he's even playing at an All-Star caliber level. I don't doubt that he's going to get there, but let's not crown the kid yet.

He's already averaging 15.6 pts as a rookie to go along with some elite defense and he started the season really slow. If he doesn't get injured he'll be an all-star next year in his hometown whether he deserves in or not. Toronto fans got Lowry into the starting lineup and he didn't deserve it so I'm sure they'll get Wiggins in there too. Lowry played well early on in the season but he killed himself doing it and has been awful for the last month or so.

Vee-Rex
02-24-2015, 05:15 PM
What do you guys think of the new defensive study on grantland?

http://grantland.com/features/department-of-defense/

It looks really interesting and I'd love to see them do this for all of our top NBA players. It's no secret that Harden isn't good defensively, but it's cool to see exactly how he and others are doing.

KnicksorBust
02-24-2015, 07:13 PM
Wiggins for Love is one of my favorite deals of the last 5 years. Both teams got exactly what they wanted and needed. Definition of a win-win. I had no idea Wiggins was going to BRING IT on defense like this. Harden's just a ****ing stud but Wiggins has elite 2-way potential.

ThuglifeJ
02-24-2015, 07:49 PM

Free throws.

They add up.

Bruno
02-24-2015, 07:50 PM
Wiggins is an excellent defensive player, and that was a fine play. But just to play devil's advocate for a moment, let's not forget that the same step back jumper shown here worked multiple times for Harden tonight against the kid or that he still put up 31 points in a triple double.

thats not the point.

wiggins is a rookie and good offense is suppose to beat good defense. everyone knows harden is an MVP caliber players, thats why this one single impressive defensive plays gets its own youtube video.

flea
02-24-2015, 08:08 PM
It wouldn't be a highlight reel featuring Harden without him getting lost in transition on defense and jogging slowly as his man gets an uncontested dunk.

nastynice
02-24-2015, 08:27 PM
Ummm.... Because it worked? If you go to four straight NBA Finals and win two championships in all four years of a four-year experiment in the NBA, then that four-year experiment was a resounding success. And this trio has the potential to be every bit as good on paper.

Based on what, exactly? I just don't get this thought process at all. You have one talented young cornerstone and add the greatest player in the world, who also happens to be one of the most unselfish superstars in NBA history and a guy who thrives around stretch 4s. Instead of waiting for a very young question mark of a rookie to develop, you trade for probably the best stretch 4 and arguably the best PF period in the entire NBA.

What exactly isn't to like about that deal? Personally, I think you're just saying that because Love has struggled a bit and Wiggins is playing well.

You bring together the best player, a top 3 player, and a top 10 player, taking paycuts, to me winning 2 of 4 isn't a resounding success at all. The bar is set to a championship or bust level, u can't just judge them as any other team. Very inefficient way to build a team, but the talent was just so high it was able to get 2 chips. I think if u had lebron playing at that level, plus bosh getting his touches, plus wades money going to depth, very realistically would have won more than 2. You get yourself a korver, a chandler or deandre, a 6th man like jr smith, a backup pg like Jarrett jack, I think that type of a team is much more dangerous.

No, def not saying it cuz of love struggle, or wiggins who I actually don't know anything about. It just not a good move to invest so much in someone to play the role Love plays, want a big that can hit jumpers, get a papanicolau who's prob got better d too, a mo speights. It's just a very inefficient way to build a team. Get a legit rim protector. Instead of telling lebron ur the man, u take the reigns and lean on those around u to play their role when u need, and take over when u need. Now instead it seems a situation that ur lebron and if u wanna win, carry this team. I think the former is better than the latter.

D-Leethal
02-24-2015, 09:12 PM
Hope he stays as aggressive on D as he grows into his offensive potential. People always second guess these hyped up #1 picks and try to pick apart their flaws at 18 yr old freshman, but it should have been obvious this dude is gonna be a stud.

Hawkeye15
02-24-2015, 09:48 PM
Hope he stays as aggressive on D as he grows into his offensive potential. People always second guess these hyped up #1 picks and try to pick apart their flaws at 18 yr old freshman, but it should have been obvious this dude is gonna be a stud.

the biggest gripe with him (and it was earned) was his motor, and his aggressiveness. But it appears Flip, and the rest of his teammates, are in his ear non-stop, basically forcing him to man up and take the reigns. The KG trade was all about developing Wiggins, I am positive of it.

I have to say, I have never been one to get excited about my teams prospects, but Wiggins is the first player I have seen since KG, where I truly believe I am watching a future top 1-4 player. His ball handling has improved 10000% in season. He attacks the rim and gets no fouls called, that will change. His step back is nasty already. His shot form is effortless. And he can straight up guard anyone 1-1.

I think the kid is going to be a special player.

D-Leethal
02-24-2015, 10:07 PM
the biggest gripe with him (and it was earned) was his motor, and his aggressiveness. But it appears Flip, and the rest of his teammates, are in his ear non-stop, basically forcing him to man up and take the reigns. The KG trade was all about developing Wiggins, I am positive of it.

I have to say, I have never been one to get excited about my teams prospects, but Wiggins is the first player I have seen since KG, where I truly believe I am watching a future top 1-4 player. His ball handling has improved 10000% in season. He attacks the rim and gets no fouls called, that will change. His step back is nasty already. His shot form is effortless. And he can straight up guard anyone 1-1.

I think the kid is going to be a special player.

I never thought about the KG move from that angle. Boss move from Flip, KG in practice everyday around this kid? Not sure you could have a better guy in his ear if your trying to build up a killer instinct and motor. I loved the KG move and love it even more now. I am rooting for Wiggins, seems like a great kid and fun to watch. Gotta love when the #1 pick takes pride in shutting his man down on D.

colinskik
02-24-2015, 10:10 PM

This is the only way to describe what's been going on in this thread.

colinskik
02-24-2015, 10:13 PM
What do you guys think of the new defensive study on grantland?

http://grantland.com/features/department-of-defense/

It looks really interesting and I'd love to see them do this for all of our top NBA players. It's no secret that Harden isn't good defensively, but it's cool to see exactly how he and others are doing.

Great article.

The data will finally give us a way to prove what most of us already know.

Hawkeye15
02-24-2015, 11:23 PM
I never thought about the KG move from that angle. Boss move from Flip, KG in practice everyday around this kid? Not sure you could have a better guy in his ear if your trying to build up a killer instinct and motor. I loved the KG move and love it even more now. I am rooting for Wiggins, seems like a great kid and fun to watch. Gotta love when the #1 pick takes pride in shutting his man down on D.

When Wiggins was introduced in Minnesota, he was asked what his goal was. His response, "To be a 1st team all defender. It makes me angry when my man scores".

For a kid who never talks, I will take it.

edit: you will like this haha. KG was in his 1st practice today, and yelled at Pek 2 times to get his *** back on defense. Yeah, as much as the Thad trade was stupid (considering the pick, even though we did ditch Shved/Luc's deals in the process), the mentality change KG will bring is going to be great. Going to the game tomorrow, it is going to be really nostalgic to see #21 in white check in.

FlashBolt
02-24-2015, 11:27 PM
I don't disagree, they were right to make the deal. But LeBrons prime years? I think he's on the wrong side of his prime now, the decline will be very small and very slow until his like mid 30s probably. But he's not in his prime now imo.

LeBron this season will probably be better than Wiggins ever will be, to be honest. Not to mention they don't have the luxury of waiting. I'm pretty sure somewhere in LeBron coming to Cleveland, he wanted control of what happens and that everything goes through him first. Which is why he probably never mentioned Wiggins in the letter. Just don't think Wiggins would fit with Cleveland.

When Wiggins was introduced in Minnesota, he was asked what his goal was. His response, "To be a 1st team all defender. It makes me angry when my man scores".

He's a Canadian kid. They are generally bred differently in terms of personality. I know because half my family lives there.

Vee-Rex
02-25-2015, 01:40 AM

edit: you will like this haha. KG was in his 1st practice today, and yelled at Pek 2 times to get his *** back on defense. Yeah, as much as the Thad trade was stupid (considering the pick, even though we did ditch Shved/Luc's deals in the process), the mentality change KG will bring is going to be great. Going to the game tomorrow, it is going to be really nostalgic to see #21 in white check in.

Love KG. Will be sad when he retires.

Before the Love-Wiggins trade, people always said Wiggins would need 3-4+ years to show big improvements offensively and that it will take him awhile to develop. This year he's showing it could be much faster than expected. I get the feeling we're gonna see a SHARP incline within the next year or so.

FlashBolt
02-25-2015, 01:49 AM

Before the Love-Wiggins trade, people always said Wiggins would need 3-4+ years to show big improvements offensively and that it will take him awhile to develop. This year he's showing it could be much faster than expected. I get the feeling we're gonna see a SHARP incline within the next year or so.

He needs to bulk up. 220-225 would be ideal tbh. With that being said, I think we're forgetting about Jabari. This guy would still be the ROTY if he didn't get injured.

Hawkeye15
02-25-2015, 01:59 AM
He needs to bulk up. 220-225 would be ideal tbh. With that being said, I think we're forgetting about Jabari. This guy would still be the ROTY if he didn't get injured.

does he need to bulk up?

I can't possibly project what Jabari's rookie year was, but over the past 28 games, Wiggy is 19/4/3 on TS% of 54, and defending the other teams best wing every night.

He needs to get stronger, but he is already mowing defenders down on the post.

He is going to be good. Really good.

Hawkeye15
02-25-2015, 02:01 AM

I might regret saying this, but Wiggins looks like he is on an Anthony Davis trajectory. I mean, he looks like the best player on the floor for huge periods of time the last 2.5 months.

I think he is going to be special.

FOBolous
02-25-2015, 04:50 AM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/andrew-wiggins-vs-james-harden-can-we-please-have-this-for-the-next-10-years/

Next Tmac vs Kobe rivalry? would be awesome.

Goose17
02-25-2015, 06:11 AM
Oh yes please. Throw in Butler and Klay. The SG position might have some depth back in a few short years.

Love it.

Goose17
02-25-2015, 06:16 AM
I might regret saying this, but Wiggins looks like he is on an Anthony Davis trajectory. I mean, he looks like the best player on the floor for huge periods of time the last 2.5 months.

I think he is going to be special.

I have to say I'm really impressed by him lately. I hope he can keep this up because I really like him as a person and I feel like he would be loyal to Minny. It would great to see them become relevant.

dodie53
02-25-2015, 06:59 AM
where's the "like" button.
:)

IndyRealist
02-25-2015, 11:25 AM
Great article.

The data will finally give us a way to prove what most of us already know.

Except many, if not most, of PSD says Chris Paul's defense is overrated and that he gambles for steals to pad his stats.

They have empirical evidence that the Clippers point guard suppresses and disrupts shot activity as much or more than any other guard in the league.

HoopsDrive
02-25-2015, 12:00 PM

Well it depends on the chances that said player would resign with my team which is hard to gauge. I mean, obviously a #1 pick isn't a guarantee of a future all-star but if I'm trading for that, I better be getting at least more than just 1 year of guaranteed all-star play. Perhaps LeBron coming to Cleveland was incumbent on pulling off a trade for another all-star, than you gotta do this trade.

This is all hypothetical though, if Love resigns than I have no issues with this trade... but if he bolts and Cavs don't win this year, they basically gave away their #1 for free.

Chronz
02-25-2015, 01:22 PM
Except many, if not most, of PSD says Chris Paul's defense is overrated and that he gambles for steals to pad his stats.

Do they? I defend CP3 in any thread hes wrongfully bashed, Im pretty sure mostly everyone admits hes the best defensive PG. Those who say hes overrated just cling to cliches. Its amazing how far hes come tho, he used to just be a gambler you had to hide.

D-Leethal
02-25-2015, 01:23 PM
Is Wiggins a future SF or SG?

IndyRealist
02-25-2015, 01:26 PM

Depends on if he can bulk up without losing too much of his speed and explosiveness, I think. If he is a defense first guy I'd rather keep him slim down enough to play SG and guard PGs and SFs, rather than bulk up and guard SGs and SFs but have trouble with PFs.

Hawkeye15
02-25-2015, 01:41 PM

interchangeable. Depends on the Wolves roster.

Chronz
02-25-2015, 01:52 PM
was tmac the only swing with the skill and size/talent to play both equally effectively? he even played the 1

wiggins. long term hes a sf unless he ups his skill level some more but keeping him at the 2 is best for his D + post game

Hawkeye15
02-25-2015, 01:54 PM
was tmac the only swing with the skill and size/talent to play both equally effectively? he even played the 1

wiggins. long term hes a sf unless he ups his skill level some more but keeping him at the 2 is best for his D + post game

his handles have gotten so much better during this season, so I am excited about what he might be able to do for his skillset during this summer.

JustinTime
02-25-2015, 02:06 PM
his handles have gotten so much better during this season, so I am excited about what he might be able to do for his skillset during this summer.

I hope he finds the time but he'll be pretty busy this summer because I'd imagine he'll be taking some time off after the seasons up and then he's likely going to be playing for Canada in July.

Hawkeye15
02-25-2015, 02:22 PM
I hope he finds the time but he'll be pretty busy this summer because I'd imagine he'll be taking some time off after the seasons up and then he's likely going to be playing for Canada in July.

he better find plenty of time. You ain't gonna be a great player if you spend your offseason vacationing

Chronz
02-25-2015, 02:53 PM

How do you feel about the pairing of he and Rubio for the next 3 years?

JustinTime
02-25-2015, 02:57 PM
he better find plenty of time. You ain't gonna be a great player if you spend your offseason vacationing

I doubt he'll be vacationing for long but he's played ever game this season so i'm sure he'll take a break for a bit. Playing against international competition will help him play through contact anyways because the refs at those games don't give star treatment like the NBA. If he's going to be effective he's going to have take a beating and still find away to finish or he'll have some awful games.

Chronz
02-25-2015, 03:00 PM
Its funny what a complete 180 the 1st half splits are to his 2nd half. Im curious to see if he stabilizes or just keeps improving from here on out.

His 2nd half line has been a crazy turnaround

Since the Cavs game (last 29 games) hes at,
109 ORTG / 22% usage
18.7ppg

vs

like 12 PPG and god awful efficiency (89 ORTG).

Dont know if we've seen those kind of extremes before but its encouraging to see him begin to dominate.

JustinTime
02-25-2015, 03:06 PM
Its funny what a complete 180 the 1st half splits are to his 2nd half. Im curious to see if he stabilizes or just keeps improving from here on out.

His 2nd half line has been a crazy turnaround

Since the Cavs game (last 29 games) hes at,
109 ORTG / 22% usage
18.7ppg

vs

like 12 PPG and god awful efficiency (89 ORTG).

Dont know if we've seen those kind of extremes before but its encouraging to see him begin to dominate.

He'd have had a shot at the All star game if he had played like this the whole season. But one of the reasons for his turn around was the injuries to the vets. When they went down they had to rely on him as the top option which got him confident,

Oefarmy2005
02-25-2015, 04:08 PM
Do they? I defend CP3 in any thread hes wrongfully bashed, Im pretty sure mostly everyone admits hes the best defensive PG. Those who say hes overrated just cling to cliches. Its amazing how far hes come tho, he used to just be a gambler you had to hide.

With all do respect Chronz, but I think Conley is a better defender.

Oefarmy2005
02-25-2015, 04:12 PM

C'mon man. We all know he'll probably miss next season due to injury, otherwise it would not be the Wolves. I really hope he stays healthy and takes off, but with our luck...

Hawkeye15
02-25-2015, 04:26 PM
How do you feel about the pairing of he and Rubio for the next 3 years?

Defensively and in transition, I love it. Wiggins will need to work on his catch and shoot, but I think it will be a very productive backcourt.

The thing with Rubio is, can he just stay healthy? His shot looked good to start the year, then he misses nearly 7 weeks with an ankle injury. Shot looks flat again. He needs to stay stateside and get shots up with our new shooting coach.

It will be productive, but I also am a believer Wiggins is going to be a special player. He gets fouled constantly (no calls though, the rookie treatment), finishes at the basket, has a good post up game for his age, and his shot looks like he will be an excellent shooter for years to come.

Hawkeye15
02-25-2015, 04:34 PM
C'mon man. We all know he'll probably miss next season due to injury, otherwise it would not be the Wolves. I really hope he stays healthy and takes off, but with our luck...

wouldn't surprise me

rhino17
02-25-2015, 05:47 PM
definitely defends harden better than anyone in the league

luckily he plays for ninny and it won't matter

Hawkeye15
02-25-2015, 05:50 PM

it may in 2 years. We finally have a young core that can turn into something. Remember, we are adding another top 3 pick, thanks to 4/5 of our top players missing half the season.

KnicksorBust
02-25-2015, 05:54 PM

it may in 2 years. We finally have a young core that can turn into something. Remember, we are adding another top 3 pick, thanks to 4/5 of our top players missing half the season.

Do you believe Rubio, Pek, Dieng are all long term answers? Thoughts on Bennett?

Hawkeye15
02-25-2015, 06:08 PM
Do you believe Rubio, Pek, Dieng are all long term answers? Thoughts on Bennett?

Rubio is. Pek, no. Dieng can work, but we need a better PF situation for sure.

Bennett is lost, that is all I can say.

Remember, Okafor/Towns/Russell....one of them will be added to Wiggins/Bazz/Lavine/Dieng/Rubio

Shabazz showed major improvement, but went down with a stomach injury, and now a torn ligament in his finger. Payne was buried on Atlanta's bench, and he has a lot of energy and can play defense, but I haven't had a long enough look at him to figure out if I think he can be a player.

Basically, this is the most young talent we have had in a long time, and Wiggins looks the part of a future stud.

KG was straight up brought in to mentor this group, especially Wiggins

KnicksorBust
02-25-2015, 06:15 PM

Remember, Okafor/Towns/Russell....one of them will be added to Wiggins/Bazz/Lavine/Dieng/Rubio

Shabazz showed major improvement, but went down with a stomach injury, and now a torn ligament in his finger. Payne was buried on Atlanta's bench, and he has a lot of energy and can play defense, but I haven't had a long enough look at him to figure out if I think he can be a player.

Basically, this is the most young talent we have had in a long time, and Wiggins looks the part of a future stud.

In all seriousness, I think the Wolves are by far the best of the "tank" teams. I see them finishing with a better record than NY, Philly, and LAL. I dont know if you can bank on getting one of those stud 3 anymore...

Hawkeye15
02-25-2015, 06:27 PM
In all seriousness, I think the Wolves are by far the best of the "tank" teams. I see them finishing with a better record than NY, Philly, and LAL. I dont know if you can bank on getting one of those stud 3 anymore...

Mudiay is another one

But, regardless, we should add a good prospect. Just need to hit on one.

KnicksorBust
02-25-2015, 06:30 PM

Mudiay is another one

But, regardless, we should add a good prospect. Just need to hit on one.

I hate the idea of Minny drafting a PG... dont you?

Hawkeye15
02-25-2015, 06:34 PM

is Mudiay really going to be a PG? I am not so sure.

and honestly, when you are picking top 5, you are in no position to do anything but take best talent available.

Hawkeye15
02-25-2015, 06:35 PM
and like it matters. The draft gods hate the Wolves. Whatever the worst position they could possibly land in, will be the spot they land in.

KnicksorBust
02-25-2015, 06:38 PM

is Mudiay really going to be a PG? I am not so sure.

and honestly, when you are picking top 5, you are in no position to do anything but take best talent available.

I can say that I have not watched him play live so maybe he can play the two. However every clip I have seen and from what I have read he seems to be a true point guard. I get the BPA idea just seems like you would be pushing Rubio out with that pick and would still have big holes in the frontcourt.

Hawkeye15
02-25-2015, 08:29 PM
I can say that I have not watched him play live so maybe he can play the two. However every clip I have seen and from what I have read he seems to be a true point guard. I get the BPA idea just seems like you would be pushing Rubio out with that pick and would still have big holes in the frontcourt.

big holes with trade chips.....

BPA, always to me

KnicksorBust
02-25-2015, 08:43 PM

big holes with trade chips.....

BPA, always to me

Fair enough. If you land one of the bigs that will really transform your team overnight...

Hawkeye15
02-25-2015, 08:52 PM
Fair enough. If you land one of the bigs that will really transform your team overnight...

Now that KG is in fold, kinda hoping we land Towns.....

KnicksorBust
02-25-2015, 08:55 PM

Now that KG is in fold, kinda hoping we land Towns.....

If you get Towns then Pek becomes more valuable. Okafor and Pek is a terrible fit.

Hawkeye15
02-25-2015, 08:57 PM
If you get Towns then Pek becomes more valuable. Okafor and Pek is a terrible fit.

Okafor and Pek are a terrible fit, yes.

KnicksorBust
02-25-2015, 09:07 PM

Okafor and Pek are a terrible fit, yes.

He bedrugingly agrees. Lol Mundiay doesnt fit... Okafor doesnt fit... you arent cranky there are no durants this year are you?

KnicksorBust
02-25-2015, 10:44 PM

Looking damn good tonight. Kmart got the flow. Wiggins and Pek chipping in and Rubio got a shot at a triple double. Lol. Stacked *** tanking team

Chronz
02-26-2015, 01:19 AM
With all do respect Chronz, but I think Conley is a better defender.

A good choice but I think hes fallen off more. Same with Gasol.

Oefarmy2005
02-26-2015, 12:21 PM
Looking damn good tonight. Kmart got the flow. Wiggins and Pek chipping in and Rubio got a shot at a triple double. Lol. Stacked *** tanking team
Obviously not worth my time, but I'll reply. This "stacked" team had to play with Corey Brewer running point.

Hawkeye15
02-26-2015, 12:44 PM
A good choice but I think hes fallen off more. Same with Gasol.

do you think the grinding style of play Memphis uses has anything to do with that?

JustinTime
02-26-2015, 12:56 PM

Rubio probably, Pek No, Dieng as a backup PF. Bennett they'll be up to the Wolves to put him in a position to succeed which they have not. I think they are probably going to drop him soon though.

Knick bag
02-26-2015, 01:59 PM
I like these Wolves right now. Wiggins has STAR written all over him. Lots of young talent. KG coming back is great! Will help these guys develop.

Sly Guy
02-27-2015, 02:12 PM
Pay attention to his footwork it's amazing.

yeah, really impressive. he was a step ahead of harden when he went to make his move(s). Really impressive.

Clippersfan86
02-27-2015, 02:50 PM
I love this Wolves team. Hard working, fiery but also truly enjoy playing together. KG will do wonders for the kids. Wiggins/Rubio/Towns or Okafor would be an insane trio to build around! Rubio is the playmaker/perimeter defender and Wiggins the future scoring anchor. Now they just need another great scorer, preferably a big for inside/out game. Hey Hawkeye, what happened to Pek? I know he's been injured a lot but he looked like a very reliable post scorer 2 or 3 years ago.

iliketurtles24
02-27-2015, 02:51 PM
Obviously not worth my time, but I'll reply. This "stacked" team had to play with Corey Brewer running point.

Yeah, when we had 8 players healthy.... I agree though, we are a ways away from being stacked.