PDA

View Full Version : Robinson, once a Net is now a 76er

Stunner
02-23-2015, 03:29 PM
@WojYahooNBA: Thomas Robinson has reached agreement on a deal with the Brooklyn Nets, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

NYKnickFanatic
02-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Nice pick up. Hopefully he can get some quality minutes.

Sactown
02-23-2015, 04:08 PM
It's a 10 day contract and it can happen tomorrow if he clears waiver which is expected .. damn what a fall off for a top 5 pick... 10 day contract two years later

Stunner
02-23-2015, 04:10 PM
Forward Thomas Robinson has reached agreement on a deal with the Brooklyn Nets, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Robinson, the fifth overall pick in the 2012 NBA draft, will sign a 10-day deal with the Nets, which is expected to lead to an agreement for the remainder of the season, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Robinson will clear NBA waivers on Tuesday at 5 p.m. EST.

sens#11fan
02-23-2015, 04:18 PM
Hope he can find a team that he can stay with for the long term and can quality minutes. He's a really good guy, with a touching story.

jimm120
02-23-2015, 04:24 PM
wasn't he on the knicks???

Goose17
02-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Hope he can find a team that he can stay with for the long term and can quality minutes. He's a really good guy, with a touching story.

Agreed.

Stunner
02-24-2015, 05:55 PM
@WojYahooNBA: The 76ers have placed a claim on Thomas Robinson, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. He'll belong to Philadelphia at 5 PM ET.

leprechaun5
02-24-2015, 05:56 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
The 76ers have placed a claim on Thomas Robinson, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. He'll belong to Philadelphia at 5 PM ET.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
Sixers need to reach 90 percent of cap before season's end. Robinson's salary gets it there. If not, shortfall divided among rest of roster.

:laugh:

FraziersKnicks
02-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Anything that'll help them win more games than the Knicks is good.

Sidenote: Wouldn't it be funny if he absolutely exploded with the playing time he gets in Philly and lives up to his #5 draft pick status... All because they needed to get over the cap threshold.

Goose17
02-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Poor guy...

GiantsSwaGG
02-24-2015, 06:04 PM
I feel sorry for Robinson

Iron24th
02-24-2015, 06:09 PM
Not that bad, he'll get the most important PT of his career in philly.

Stunner
02-24-2015, 06:14 PM
I had updated the other thread

leprechaun5
02-24-2015, 06:19 PM
I had updated the other thread

I thought it was thread worthy just because Hinkie didn't allow the other players earn some more money.:laugh:

KnicksorBust
02-24-2015, 06:20 PM
Another brilliant move by the Sixers. He should immediately get 30mpg for them. Give this guy a real chance.

KnicksorBust
02-24-2015, 06:23 PM

KnicksorBust
02-24-2015, 06:25 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--76ers-claim-thomas-robinson-off-waivers-to-meet-nba-s-salary-minimum-220713319.html;_ylt=A0LEVw8x.uxU920ARBtXNyoA;_ylu= X3oDMTEzMHM2c2l2BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVklQNT MxXzEEc2VjA3Nj

Nice try Nets. They can't catch a break these days.

leprechaun5
02-24-2015, 06:26 PM
^
thomas robinson @Trobinson0 Feb 23
All thanks to GOD ! Thank you Brooklyn

lamzoka
02-24-2015, 06:41 PM
Man the 76ers trolled the Nets big time. :laugh:

whoisonourteam
02-24-2015, 06:56 PM
Man the 76ers trolled the Nets big time. :laugh:

How is that ? It was a smart move by Hinkie. We were still a little over 3 million under the minimum salary Cap floor, and this claim put us right over it. And we get a free look at Robinson. It is not screwing over the Nets. It's called a smart Business move.

Stunner
02-24-2015, 07:02 PM
How is that ? It was a smart move by Hinkie. We were still a little over 3 million under the minimum salary Cap floor, and this claim put us right over it. And we get a free look at Robinson. It is not screwing over the Nets. It's called a smart Business move.

What are you talking about ? Lol he's just sayings they took Robinson from the nets when they thought everything was all good.

KnicksorBust
02-24-2015, 07:08 PM

Yeah Hinkie just keeps making great move after great move. It's like Morey pre-Harden deal. One day we will all wake up and have to admit the guy is a genius.

tredigs
02-24-2015, 07:44 PM
The balance in the NBA has shifted.

2-ONE-5
02-24-2015, 08:48 PM
Anything that'll help them win more games than the Knicks is good.

Sidenote: Wouldn't it be funny if he absolutely exploded with the playing time he gets in Philly and lives up to his #5 draft pick status... All because they needed to get over the cap threshold.

the move has nothing to do with the cap floor. we didnt hit it last year, its not a big deal you just give your roster a bonus with the difference so either way the $ was being spent. its just a good, smart low risk/high reward move right now. Also anyone feeling "sorry" for him coming here is an idiot seeing how he will finally get a chance, i bet he was begging to come here

D-Leethal
02-24-2015, 09:02 PM
Yeah Hinkie just keeps making great move after great move. It's like Morey pre-Harden deal. One day we will all wake up and have to admit the guy is a genius.

Goodness gracious. Morey never onced tanked, he gets rightfully lauded for the way he retooled in Houston while staying competitive in a tough West. But dude, let it happen first. You just sound crazy right now. And yes, I read the article.

D-Leethal
02-24-2015, 09:03 PM
I like this move though, I applaud them for this one.

NYKnickFanatic
02-24-2015, 09:07 PM
What a misleading title. Robinson was never on the Nets.

Stunner
02-24-2015, 09:19 PM
What a misleading title. Robinson was never on the Nets.

How is it misleading ? He was set to join the nets based on the reports , he was almost going to be until Philly jumped out and claimed him .

Made no sense to make two Robinson threads

GiantsSwaGG
02-24-2015, 09:24 PM
How is it misleading ? He was set to join the nets based on the reports , he was almost going to be until Philly jumped out and claimed him .

He's right, he wasn't a net yet, they agreed to terms ONCE he cleared waivers which he never did.

Blink
02-24-2015, 09:46 PM
Imo it's better for Robinson. Yeah 76ers are terrible but not like the Nets are any better.

JEDean89
02-24-2015, 09:58 PM
So they managed to piss of Two Fo's in doing this? wow, hinkie is going to get blackballed by the league and his own fans here soon.

ChiSox219
02-24-2015, 11:54 PM
Goodness gracious. Morey never onced tanked, he gets rightfully lauded for the way he retooled in Houston while staying competitive in a tough West. But dude, let it happen first. You just sound crazy right now. And yes, I read the article.

Hinkie isnt as innovative as he's portrayed. Jerry Krause tried to rebuild by loading up on draft picks, including stocking up on early 2nd round picks. He was big on stashing foreign players. While Hinkie gets flack for trading KJ and MCW, Krause traded a 20/10 22-year-old a year for a kid that just graduated high school.

So they managed to piss of Two Fo's in doing this? wow, hinkie is going to get blackballed by the league and his own fans here soon.

Nets are gonna have a whole new FO soon anyway, maybe by then they'll have a few assets worth discussing.

JasonJohnHorn
02-25-2015, 08:44 AM
I'm not sure what the issue with Robinson is. Looking at his stats (and that's all I have to go on because I haven't seen him play much), he seems to be a solid rebounder, and his FG% has gone up, even as his minutes have decreased, which is usually hard for a guy to do given that most players need to build a rhythm in a game.

The issue that seems obvious are his fouls and his lack of defensive stats. Looking at those I'm going to guess he isn't a terribly good defender, but defense can be taught, and the fouls are likely excessive in part due to the fact that coaches send guys like him in a game with the express purpose to foul players. The right developmental coach and defensive systems can correct that.

He doesn't make plays, but neither does he turn the ball over a lot. He seems like an average player, so I'm not sure why he couldn't secure more minute somewhere. I think part of the problem is that he was drafted by a team that already had a power forward they were developing (Jason Thompson), and since he was getting close to 30 minutes a game, that didn't give Robinson much time, and since Evans and DMC were dominating the ball that year, and Isaiah Thomas was Marcus Thorton were being brought to take on a bigger role, it seems like there wasn't room to develop Robinson.

In Portland... well... LMA was an MVP candidate last season. LMA got over 36 minutes a game and was considered the best power forward in the game last year by some (not me). So his minute were limited for obvious reasons. But he was at the very least a consistent rebounder. LMA's minutes were no different this year, and Robinson got 12 minutes a game to LMA's 36, and they didn't bother bringing in another power forward, so obviously the management weren't unhappy with what he was doing. Solid rebounding, shooting over .500, and this year he was averaging 1.5 steals and 1.0 blocks per36. So.... statistically he looks like a decent back up... he was just on a team with an All-Star power forward and numerous options on offense, so he doesn't get a lot of looks.

With Nurkic developing at C, and Farried at PF already, and Hickson able to play both spots, the Nuggets really had no use for him... so....

It's not like he's pulling an Ed O'Bannon where he's not even competing. He's just not been in a good situation.

Now one of the worst teams picked him up just to make the league minimum? I'm surprised a other teams didn't express an interest. The Lakers, Knicks or any other teams that are awful and might as well take a chance on a young guy that can yet develop.

I expect he'll be around the league for a while. He can rebound and hit his open shots. Nobody is going to object to have him sitting at the end of the bench.

mike_noodles
02-25-2015, 09:41 AM

If anything it should teach the idiots in Brooklyn not to do underhanded deals with players who haven't cleared waivers yet. If they had their hopes up it's their own fault. Hinkie is well within his rights to make the waiver claim.

2-ONE-5
02-25-2015, 10:13 AM

for making a waiver claim?

JLynn943
02-25-2015, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure what the issue with Robinson is. Looking at his stats (and that's all I have to go on because I haven't seen him play much), he seems to be a solid rebounder, and his FG% has gone up, even as his minutes have decreased, which is usually hard for a guy to do given that most players need to build a rhythm in a game.

The issue that seems obvious are his fouls and his lack of defensive stats. Looking at those I'm going to guess he isn't a terribly good defender, but defense can be taught, and the fouls are likely excessive in part due to the fact that coaches send guys like him in a game with the express purpose to foul players. The right developmental coach and defensive systems can correct that.

He doesn't make plays, but neither does he turn the ball over a lot. He seems like an average player, so I'm not sure why he couldn't secure more minute somewhere. I think part of the problem is that he was drafted by a team that already had a power forward they were developing (Jason Thompson), and since he was getting close to 30 minutes a game, that didn't give Robinson much time, and since Evans and DMC were dominating the ball that year, and Isaiah Thomas was Marcus Thorton were being brought to take on a bigger role, it seems like there wasn't room to develop Robinson.

In Portland... well... LMA was an MVP candidate last season. LMA got over 36 minutes a game and was considered the best power forward in the game last year by some (not me). So his minute were limited for obvious reasons. But he was at the very least a consistent rebounder. LMA's minutes were no different this year, and Robinson got 12 minutes a game to LMA's 36, and they didn't bother bringing in another power forward, so obviously the management weren't unhappy with what he was doing. Solid rebounding, shooting over .500, and this year he was averaging 1.5 steals and 1.0 blocks per36. So.... statistically he looks like a decent back up... he was just on a team with an All-Star power forward and numerous options on offense, so he doesn't get a lot of looks.

With Nurkic developing at C, and Farried at PF already, and Hickson able to play both spots, the Nuggets really had no use for him... so....

It's not like he's pulling an Ed O'Bannon where he's not even competing. He's just not been in a good situation.

Now one of the worst teams picked him up just to make the league minimum? I'm surprised a other teams didn't express an interest. The Lakers, Knicks or any other teams that are awful and might as well take a chance on a young guy that can yet develop.

I expect he'll be around the league for a while. He can rebound and hit his open shots. Nobody is going to object to have him sitting at the end of the bench.

He definitely has a place in the league, but, at least when he was on the Kings, he seemed like a tweener. Super athletic for sure, but he didn't really fit at least what we needed at PF and wasn't quick enough for SF.

My biggest complaint with him was that pre-draft he was billed as a polished, NBA-ready prospect who would come in and be ready to contribute right away. He wasn't that at all though.

NYKnickFanatic
02-25-2015, 11:04 AM

That's how it is misleading. How could be be 'once a Net', if he never was once a Net?

Not a big deal, I was just busting balls. Funny how you don't see how it is misleading though lol.

D-Leethal
02-25-2015, 01:18 PM
Hinkie isnt as innovative as he's portrayed. Jerry Krause tried to rebuild by loading up on draft picks, including stocking up on early 2nd round picks. He was big on stashing foreign players. While Hinkie gets flack for trading KJ and MCW, Krause traded a 20/10 22-year-old a year for a kid that just graduated high school.

Nets are gonna have a whole new FO soon anyway, maybe by then they'll have a few assets worth discussing.

He isn't innovative at all until his crazy tactics start to bare from fruit. Being "different" doesn't automatically qualify you as "innovative". Innovation requires these different tactics to actually be effective, not just be different. Right now he looks is stuck right where he was last year - tank, draft some young players, trade young players for future picks. Rinse. Repeat.

D-Leethal
02-25-2015, 01:21 PM
I can't believe fans are still behind this guy. After two years of tanking you should have SOMETHING on your roster to be proud of, to have a positive outlook on. They haven't moved forward one step since they started the tank job and next year seems like it will be more business (tanking) as usual with no end in sight. Do you guys consider making draft picks in the lottery and within a year trading them for future picks an admission of a mistake? How many lotto picks is he gonna decide aren't good enough to start building with before he actually attempts to put a roster together that has a chance to compete?

PhillyFaninLA
02-25-2015, 01:46 PM
I can't believe fans are still behind this guy. After two years of tanking you should have SOMETHING on your roster to be proud of, to have a positive outlook on. They haven't moved forward one step since they started the tank job and next year seems like it will be more business (tanking) as usual with no end in sight. Do you guys consider making draft picks in the lottery and within a year trading them for future picks an admission of a mistake? How many lotto picks is he gonna decide aren't good enough to start building with before he actually attempts to put a roster together that has a chance to compete?

Its nice to know the Sixers and Sam Hinkie are living rent free in your head....do you know you are allowed to post non critical things against the Sixers.

Its amusing to me that you are this obsessed with the anti-Sixers, anti-Hinkie hate

If you hate the team as much as you do, why not just focus on your own team

edit:

I need to be fair about something....you don't make other Knicks fans look bad and you are consistent...I need to give you credit for this.

You trash the Sixers but what team has a worse record then them?

Hawkeye15
02-25-2015, 01:47 PM
how quickly has this guy been tossed aside in the league for such a high pick?

Haven't watched him. Does he struggle that much?

D-Leethal
02-25-2015, 02:02 PM
Its nice to know the Sixers and Sam Hinkie are living rent free in your head....do you know you are allowed to post non critical things against the Sixers.

Its amusing to me that you are this obsessed with the anti-Sixers, anti-Hinkie hate

If you hate the team as much as you do, why not just focus on your own team

edit:

I need to be fair about something....you don't make other Knicks fans look bad and you are consistent...I need to give you credit for this.

You trash the Sixers but what team has a worse record then them?

Come on guy, this is one of the only topics in the forum that is not Kobe, LeBron or Harden. I let the thread die until I read the article about Embiid being available for the right future pick. Than I posted it, discussions continued. Typical butt hurt response that gets put on display when someone can't legitimately justify the actions they are trying to defend.

"Why not focus on your own team" "Glad to know Hinkie is in your head" - how about - "why don't you actually refute my points instead of *****ing and moaning about them" ?

Knicks would never even consider tanking more than 1 year. Jackson will do everything in his power to make us compete next year.

I did post that I applaud them for picking up T - Rob. Sorry - can't applaud much more than that when it comes to Hinkie's "plan" that still hasn't made it to step 2. Actually, not even sure we know what Step 2 will consist of. I am sure we won't next year either. As a fan, you don't get upset seeing a tanking strategy stuck on a treadmill with no end in sight? How many tank years are you willing to accept before you see an attempt at building a team that can compete?

Hinkie's strategy is controversial - you expect everyone to speak glowingly about the non-stop "tank and pray" that is going on over there?

PhillyFaninLA
02-25-2015, 02:12 PM
Come on guy, this is one of the only topics in the forum that is not Kobe, LeBron or Harden. I let the thread die until I read the article about Embiid being available for the right future pick. Than I posted it, discussions continued. Typical butt hurt response that gets put on display when someone can't legitimately justify the actions they are trying to defend.

"Why not focus on your own team" "Glad to know Hinkie is in your head" - how about - "why don't you actually refute my points instead of *****ing and moaning about them" ?

Knicks would never even consider tanking more than 1 year. Jackson will do everything in his power to make us compete next year.

I did post that I applaud them for picking up T - Rob. Sorry - can't applaud much more than that when it comes to Hinkie's "plan" that still hasn't made it to step 2. Actually, not even sure we know what Step 2 will consist of. I am sure we won't next year either. As a fan, you don't get upset seeing a tanking strategy stuck on a treadmill with no end in sight? How many tank years are you willing to accept before you see an attempt at building a team that can compete?

Hinkie's strategy is controversial - you expect everyone to speak glowingly about the non-stop "tank and pray" that is going on over there?

I've refuted several times but you ignored the points

2-ONE-5
02-25-2015, 02:18 PM

you should know by now Hinkie doesnt talk to the media soi wouldnt believe that Embiid was made available when in reality its more likely he took calls about him and hung up or tried to trade rape whoever

gamechanger0908
02-25-2015, 02:54 PM
interesting