PDA

View Full Version : Mock Trade Game (Conference Finals) San Antonio vs Golden State

Shammyguy3
02-22-2015, 11:18 PM
The Bulls' forum hosted the Mock Trade game again this year. Teams were combined to make an even 20 team league. Conferences were adjusted to compensate for disparity in talent. The top-8 teams in each conference made the playoffs. Vote on the poll for which team you think would win in a 7-game series. Players are considered 100% healthy. If they have been out the whole year, use the last season that they played and take about 80% of their production to vote (e.g. Paul George).

1. San Antonio (Home Court Advantage)
PG: Chris Paul | Patty Mills | Jose Calderon
SG: J.J. Redick | Khris Middleton | Iman Shumpert
SF: DeMarre Carroll | P.J. Tucker | Anthony Morrow
PF: Tim Duncan | Carlos Boozer | Kyle O'Quinn
C: Al Horford | Rudy Gobert

2. Golden State
Stephen Curry - Shaun Livingston
Klay Thompson - Leandro Barbosa - Brandon Rush
Harrison Barnes - Andre Iguodala
David Lee - Marreese Speights
Andrew Bogut - Mason Plumlee - Festus Ezeli - Ognjen Kuzmic

San Antonio Write-Up

Defensive Assignments

Stephen Curry\ Klay Thompson

The Spurs have league’s best defensive PG in the game, Chris Paul, to guard Stephen Curry. However, Coach Pop plans to use several players to play lock down defense on Curry and Thompson. Shumpert, Tucker, Carroll, Redick and Middleton will all take turns defending Curry and Thompson. All (except Redick) being their respective team’s BEST perimeter player will work together to slow down Curry and Thompson. The difference faces will make it difficult for Curry and Thompson to get use to/work around the defenses. They will get their points, without question, but their efficiency, as it usually does come playoffs (especially WCF) will be taking a tremendous dip because of it. When it comes to picks, Pop will tell all his defensive players to go over the pick knowing that the Spurs have 2 defensive anchors, Duncan and Horford, ready to challenge the driver.

Harrison Barnes\David Lee\Andrew Bogut

Harrison Barnes has been a below-average 3 point shooter until this season. Coach Pop will put the least talented defensive wing player on Barnes, which is still more than enough as all their wings are 2-way players.

David Lee, in real life, has been benched. He is a good bench player, having to start for this Golden State team because their GM traded Draymond Green, a defensive player of the year candidate, for Plumlee. Downgrading from Draymond Green to David Lee will expose the offense and defensive issues that Golden State had last season. Lee’s .7 VORP dictates he should be utilized in a bench capacity as the real life Coach Kerr has done. Lee doesn’t have the offensive versatility that Draymond has to play the 3 or 4, spacing the floor out and making exceptional passes. This makes Duncan’s job astronomically easier guarding a player who can’t stray too far from the rim/painted area. Duncan’s elite defensive prowess will lock down Lee as he has done historically.

Andrew Bogut is not the offense talent he once use to be. The Warriors will need Bogut to be that offensive talent he once was as they are without Draymond Green and Lee’s production will be hampered by Duncan. Unfortunately for them, Horford is the anchor to the 2nd best NBA record team, now playing alongside Duncan, forming the 2015 version of “the Twin Towers”. Horford has a massive muscular body to go against anything Bogut still has in the tank offensively.

Offensive Game Plan

Coach Pop plans to utilize the elite passing ability of their starters. Paul is arguably the best passing PG in the league, Redick and Carroll are also exceptional passers, and Duncan and Horford are 2 of the top passing big men in the league today.

Pick and Roll

Chris Paul shoots .505 from 10-16 feet and .461 from 16 feet.
JJ Redick shoots .531 from 10-16 feet and .457 from 16 feet.
Tim Duncan shoots .683 from 0-3 feet.
Al Horford shoots .728 from 0-3 feet, .486 from 10-16 feet, and .510 from 16 feet.

The Warriors will have to pick their poison. Do they switch on the pick and roll and allow Duncan/Horford to destroy them inside? Lee and Bogut don’t have the quickness to guard it throughout a 7 game series. Furthermore, Horford could play pick and pop with Duncan as he is incredibly efficient (.486 from 10-16, .510 from 16 feet) away from the rim. He has the versatility of setting the pick, or being the one who rolls.

Inside-Outside Game

Chris Paul: .383 from 3 point, 4.1 attempts/game
JJ Redick: .437 from 3 point, 5.5 attempts/game
DeMarre Carroll: .395 from 3 point, 4.3 attempts/game
Patty Mills (injured this season so using last season’s stats as rules state) : .425 from 3 point, 3.9 attempts/game
Iman Shumpert (for Cavs): .455 from 3 point, 3.4 attempts/game
PJ Tucker: .373 from 3 point, 3.2 attempts/game

Having so many 2-way players that are capable of spreading the floor with such efficiency will be a nightmare for Golden State to defend. The Warriors are already without their best defensive player (Draymond Green), making them more vulnerable. If the Warrior’s defense goes too far out on the perimeter, Duncan and Horford will have a field day inside with each other. If they double Horford/Duncan (as they will definitely need to do as Lee is a horrible defender), Duncan/Horford gets the assist (or hockey assist) with their elite passing to the open perimeter man.

Bench Comparison

The Spurs have an incredibly stacked bench. Patty Mills was last seasons 6th man candidate. Rudy Gobert is an absolute defensive monster and rebounder for the Jazz. Khris Middleton is a starting 3 and D guy for the Bucks. PJ Tucker is the starting 3 and D guy for the Suns. Carlos Boozer has put up great numbers for the Lakers off the bench. Jose Calderon is a starting caliber PG who takes care of the ball adds to the veteranship of the Spurs. Anthony Morrow is a 3 point sniper for OKC. Kyle O’Quinn is a stretch 4/5 that has great shot blocking for the Magic.

The Warriors really hurt their championship aspirations by trading Draymond Green for Plumlee. Essentially, they traded a legitimate starting PF/SF, worthy of defensive player of the year recognition for a mediocre backup big that probably won’t get more than 10 minutes a game in the WCF. The only guy that would get any playing time for the Spurs off the Warrior’s bench would be Andre Iguadala. Do the Warriors’ starters plan to play 40+ minutes a game? Bogut and Lee certainly hope not.

Three of a Kind > A Pair

Curry and Thompson are the league’s best starting frontcourt duo, without question. However, Chris Paul, Tim Duncan, and Al Horford have the veteran leadership to lead their stacked team to a victory. Their ultra high basketball IQ and 2 way philosophy are everything Coach Pop needs to gaining his 6th championship.

Golden State Write-Up

I think San Antonio's perimeter players would struggle to score with Curry, Thompson and Barnes defending Paul, Redick and Carroll. Duncan and Horford would probably dominate against Lee and Bogut, so it the matchup comes down to bench play IMO.

MFFL==FML
02-23-2015, 12:32 AM
LOL 1 in depth write up, 1 vague write up.

The Spurs have too many offensive weapons. Golden State doesn't have anyone to play defense on their bigs while the Spurs have many defensive weapons to use on Stephen and Klay. The way I see it is: a beefed up Spurs team versus a downgraded Warriors team. Spurs in 5.

Shammyguy3
02-23-2015, 03:15 PM
bump

KnicksorBust
02-23-2015, 06:48 PM
Spurs are the best team. My blind hatred for the fact that the Gstate team did absolutely nothing not withstanding. The Spurs actually improved.

Warriors are worse and Spurs are better. No brainer.

Shammyguy3
02-23-2015, 10:31 PM
bump

Cracka2HI!
02-23-2015, 11:12 PM
All GS did was trade Draymond Green for Mason Plumlee. I wanted to vote for them to finish dead last.

BlondeBomber41
02-24-2015, 07:37 AM
I would pick San Antonio no matter what, but the fact that you put almost zero effort into the team made it a no brainer.

Yes, the Warriors are already an excellent team but Lee and Bogut are not anything special this year and if you had done something to add a true big man that can pose a real threat, you would of probably won.

Shammyguy3
02-24-2015, 11:22 AM
12 hours left to vote

valade16
02-24-2015, 01:12 PM
Even though I believe SA would win and that GS should have lost to my team last round to begin with, I don't think it's fair to criticize him for not making many trades.

He had what most everyone believed to be the best team to begin with, ahould he have blown that up? Had he not made the 1 trade he did make he likely wins the whole thing. Also, look at Atlanta, made several trades and went from title favorite to subpar.

Given all that though, CP3, Duncan and Horford is a great foundation and it's surrounded by great complementary wings and a good bench. SA wins.

Ryu_24
02-24-2015, 01:45 PM
I tried to keep it simple as opposed to making up false information about the opponent's team as he did in part of his analysis about my team. "Downgrading from Draymond Green to David Lee will expose the offense and defensive issues that Golden State had last season. Draymond has to play the 3 or 4, spacing the floor out and making exceptional passes." Obviously Lee is a downgrade defensively, but Lee averages 16 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists and 1.9 turnovers per 36 with a true shooting percentage of 54.5% compared to Green's 12 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists and 1.9 turnovers per 36 with a true shooting percentage of 53% so not a downgrade on offense, nor a downgrade passing the ball. Lee takes pressure away from Bogut that an undersized Green wouldn't in terms of rebounds against a tall front line, which Green would probably struggle against.

Playing all of the combination of those guys to contain Curry and Thompson means fewer minutes for Redick, who is the only perimeter player that will take attention away from Paul. No one on San Antonio's perimeter outside of Paul can create his own shot.

Calderon and Mills wouldn't play much with Paul starting, so bringing up Calderon's ability to start on other teams is irrelevant considering that Mills and Calderon combined would get 10-15 minutes. Livingston and Iguodala can take Middleton and Tucker out of the game with their defense. Boozer puts up 18 points per 36 minutes compared to Speights who's at 24 points per 36 minutes, and they're the two best scorers from each team's bench. Gobert and Plumlee almost average the same amount of defensive win shares. People seem to forget that Golden State was almost a 50 win team two seasons ago with no Igoudala and Bogut missing 50 games, Green playing limited minutes and Curry and Thompson were not two of the top 10 players in the league at the time as they are now.

mightybosstone
02-24-2015, 02:04 PM
What the hell did Golden State even do? As far as I can tell, they managed to make the team worse by dealing Draymond Green for Plumlee. I understand the concept of not wanting to mess up a good thing, but why even play the game if you're not going to touch the team you start with? That's completely pointless.

If you just looked at the rosters at face value, this almost be a toss up series. But I would already give San Antonio a slight edge in overall talent, and Golden State's complete lack of giving a **** makes this a super easy choice.

mightybosstone
02-24-2015, 02:06 PM
Even though I believe SA would win and that GS should have lost to my team last round to begin with, I don't think it's fair to criticize him for not making many trades.

He had what most everyone believed to be the best team to begin with, ahould he have blown that up? Had he not made the 1 trade he did make he likely wins the whole thing. Also, look at Atlanta, made several trades and went from title favorite to subpar.

Given all that though, CP3, Duncan and Horford is a great foundation and it's surrounded by great complementary wings and a good bench. SA wins.
Yes. It is fair to criticize them. The whole point of these PSD games is to play the games and have fun. Not just to win. If you aren't going to play the games, you shouldn't get to win them. Also, the one move I can see that they made actually made them a worse basketball team. If you start with the best team and the best you can do is to make them slightly worse, you don't belong in the championship. Hell, I wouldn't even have voted them this far solely on principle.

HoopsDrive
02-24-2015, 02:13 PM
Surely GS could have gotten something better for Draymond than Plumlee?

KnicksorBust
02-24-2015, 07:16 PM
Surely GS could have gotten something better for Draymond than Plumlee?

With the way he has become grossly overrated on this forum I agree.

Shammyguy3
02-24-2015, 11:03 PM
less than 20 minutes, looks like the Spurs advance

valade16
02-25-2015, 06:36 PM
Yes. It is fair to criticize them. The whole point of these PSD games is to play the games and have fun. Not just to win. If you aren't going to play the games, you shouldn't get to win them. Also, the one move I can see that they made actually made them a worse basketball team. If you start with the best team and the best you can do is to make them slightly worse, you don't belong in the championship. Hell, I wouldn't even have voted them this far solely on principle.

I wish more people thought like you when I faced them in the last round and lost :(

KnicksorBust
02-25-2015, 06:44 PM

I wish more people thought like you when I faced them in the last round and lost :(

Did you really want to win because teams just voted against your opponent?. If you don't have the better team you lose

Cracka2HI!
02-25-2015, 11:22 PM

I tried to put them dead last on my ballot for this very reason. I didn't think they belonged in the playoffs over active GM's with that kind of effort. Next time I'm sticking to my guns lol.

Shammyguy3
02-25-2015, 11:44 PM
The name of the game is not "who is most active" ... it is who has the best team. That's why I called you out on your ranking cracka.

Cracka2HI!
02-26-2015, 12:36 AM
It's all good man but if you make 1 move and it's one of the worst moves made in the game you deserve to lose imo. I'm glad that some of the old vets agree with me.

Shammyguy3
02-26-2015, 08:32 PM
It's all good man but if you make 1 move and it's one of the worst moves made in the game you deserve to lose imo. I'm glad that some of the old vets agree with me.

Not being deserving of winning and deserving to lose are different things. You were wrong to vote the GSW team dead last because that's not what the voting was for. If you want to publicly acknowledge a team for making better moves than others, go ahead. But making X number of moves doesn't mean you should be dead last when your team is clearly better.

I've stated this multiple times. And you said you understand, but you clearly don't

Cracka2HI!
02-27-2015, 12:05 AM
Not being deserving of winning and deserving to lose are different things. You were wrong to vote the GSW team dead last because that's not what the voting was for. If you want to publicly acknowledge a team for making better moves than others, go ahead. But making X number of moves doesn't mean you should be dead last when your team is clearly better.

I've stated this multiple times. And you said you understand, but you clearly don't

LOL, OK dude. You da man! You were the one saying these PSD games suck now and boy are you right. Maybe it's because of idiotic rules like allowing the worst GM to advance to the conference finals. The old timers that used to play in the games when they were good agree with me, not you. Just saying.

valade16
02-27-2015, 11:57 AM
Did you really want to win because teams just voted against your opponent?. If you don't have the better team you lose

I wanted to win because I had the better team.

The name of the game is not "who is most active" ... it is who has the best team. That's why I called you out on your ranking cracka.

And I defended that very principle in this thread. I'm not begrudging a guy who beat me despite only making 1 move, I'm begrudging a guy who beat me because the one move he made was terrible and made his team way worse.