PDA

View Full Version : Brett Brown and the City of Philly Deserve Better

DemarDerozan
02-21-2015, 07:59 PM
Two more top ten first round picks... possibly.

When does it stop? Yes the Sixers have a ton of cap space. But will they be able to sign any legit Superstars/All-Stars based on the current business model that their FO is pushing?

Brown is a great coach and IMO is ready to walk. He fits the mold of the Thibs, Caseys, Budz and Pops in the league.

This current Hedge-Fund model is destroying one of the leagues most storied franchises.

They have Noel who has not lived up to expectations, and an unproven high potential big in Embiid.

I was sold on them working to use the draft game to get better. But now that they have traded their two best players... for the second time in three years. I am starting to think that this F/O is sinking the team.

It may sound crazy... but this team is going to start losing a lot of money and may be sold. This mirrors what a lot of teams did in the late 70s and early 80s. Selling picks and players for nothing before cashing out.

MTone8788
02-21-2015, 08:30 PM

When does it stop? Yes the Sixers have a ton of cap space. But will they be able to sign any legit Superstars/All-Stars based on the current business model that their FO is pushing?

Brown is a great coach and IMO is ready to walk. He fits the mold of the Thibs, Caseys, Budz and Pops in the league.

This current Hedge-Fund model is destroying one of the leagues most storied franchises.

They have Noel who has not lived up to expectations, and an unproven high potential big in Embiid.

I was sold on them working to use the draft game to get better. But now that they have traded their two best players... for the second time in three years. I am starting to think that this F/O is sinking the team.

It may sound crazy... but this team is going to start losing a lot of money and may be sold. This mirrors what a lot of teams did in the late 70s and early 80s. Selling picks and players for nothing before cashing out.

How exactly has Noel not lived up to expectations? What were you expecting? I've watched him nearly every game and he has given the Sixers exactly what I expected. He blocks and alters shots, plays good help defense, has a steal or two a game, and has been inconsistent on offense. He is still very raw on offense, and has no go to moves besides for oops and put back dunks, and if you expected anything more then I think your expectations are unreasonable.

More-Than-Most
02-21-2015, 09:08 PM
Noel has actually be good..... Also this city and team do not deserve better... They deserve a rebuild and need to stop thinking it will all fix over night. Cant have it both ways. You cant complain when they are stuck in purgatory and demand a rebuild and then complain when they are rebuilding because you want them to make moves to get them stuck in purgatory again.

2-ONE-5
02-21-2015, 09:19 PM

you have no idea what you are talking about. disagree with the plan thats fine, expected even especially after Thursdays stuff but the rest couldnt be further form the truth.

bringbackfredex
02-21-2015, 09:31 PM

Two things.

1. Noel has absolutely lived up to his expectations, with the people who were being realistic. He's a great defender who had 9 blocks the other night, but we all knew he was a project offensively. Once he bulks up a little, I think he'll be fine.

2. MCW is what he is. I defended him last year, but the reality is that he'll never develop into a good shooter. He took a step back this year in almost every statistical category except assists, and the Sixers sold him before it was too late. People mocked him last year for shooting 40% from the field, now he's shooting 38%.

It wasn't even a bad deal, they could end up with the #4 pick in 2016 if they get lucky and they'll definitely be in the lottery judging the current state of the Lakers. If the Sixers don't think he's the PG of the future, isn't the plan now to try and pass the other tanking teams? This will certainly help with that, and lets say the Sixers get the #1 pick, and sign a big free agent. Is your opinion of Hinkie really going to be the same?

Patience, that is all.

dhopisthename
02-21-2015, 09:40 PM
as long as one of these picks hit they should be ok. moving MCW was very smart as he hasn't been very good at all so far

nandovelez
02-21-2015, 09:43 PM
Wat the sixers are doing is what is making me a sixers fan they are on a plan and arent budging on any outside opinion. Imagine a okefor embiid frontcourt and if not a backcourt with russel or moody things are looking up soon

THE MTL
02-22-2015, 12:09 AM

Two things.

1. Noel has absolutely lived up to his expectations, with the people who were being realistic. He's a great defender who had 9 blocks the other night, but we all knew he was a project offensively. Once he bulks up a little, I think he'll be fine.

2. MCW is what he is. I defended him last year, but the reality is that he'll never develop into a good shooter. He took a step back this year in almost every statistical category except assists, and the Sixers sold him before it was too late. People mocked him last year for shooting 40% from the field, now he's shooting 38%.

It wasn't even a bad deal, they could end up with the #4 pick in 2016 if they get lucky and they'll definitely be in the lottery judging the current state of the Lakers. If the Sixers don't think he's the PG of the future, isn't the plan now to try and pass the other tanking teams? This will certainly help with that, and lets say the Sixers get the #1 pick, and sign a big free agent. Is your opinion of Hinkie really going to be the same?

Patience, that is all.

Its crazy how you preached patience but then said MCW will never develop into a good shooter. It's funny how they said the same thing about MCW's current coach and he currently in top 5 for all time 3pters.

JEDean89
02-22-2015, 01:54 AM
I have been against the 76ers the whole time because I think that it sets a bad precedent in the nba and that the system is being abused. That said, they are trying to replicate a team (the thunder) that did an absolutely incredible job of drafting, which other teams (the jazz, the pre lbj cavs) had failed to do. If there even is a true MVP caliber wing in the next few drafts they will have to be the one to draft him. Thats why teams that really like to win bring in FA's. The Wades and Kobes can't win without the Shaqs and the Gasols. Philly is willing to wait until they get that guy, but I don't see it working out quick enough that people won't riot.

Quinnsanity
02-22-2015, 02:01 AM
Jesus this way of thinking bothers me. You don't get to be good every year. Nobody does. The Sixers are trying to build something the only way a team in their position can. If they're a contender in a few years nobody will care about the sucking it took to get there.

KnicksorBust
02-22-2015, 07:17 PM
I cant wait to see how this turns out. The Knicks fan in me wants it to fail but I think Hinkie has done a phenomenal job.

5ass
02-22-2015, 07:40 PM
I really like their coach.
I was not surprised when they traded MCW at all. I knew they weren't serious abut keeping him when they drafted Payton. I'm more surprised they traded KJ.
I said it last year and i'll say it again. Hinkie is just constantly playing the odds, is that a good way to build a team? No, there are much more dynamics to consider IMO, but time will tell.
I guess if U keep playing the odds you're bound to eventually get lucky, but does that make him a great GM?

mike_noodles
02-22-2015, 07:49 PM
The city of Philly is getting what they deserve :rimshot:

But seriously, have more patience. They are gonna be something special one day. There's some moves to be made for them this off season.

Cal827
02-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Well, we'll have to see how this works out for Philly. But in the likelihood that it doesn't than their GM will go down as the worst GM in history. If it does work, he'll look like a genius, then we'll likely see the beginning of the mega-tank mode for teams in need of a rebuild lol

I don't fully get some of their trades. I mean, they are already bad enough, I don't see why trading MCW/McDaniels gets them worse. Also, you guys realize that for them to become a contender, they don't only need to hit the jackpot in draft positions, but the guy HAS to be a superstar type talent, right? It also would be best if it's not in a position of strength. For example, I love how Noel is defensively already, and I think he'll be very good, and I think that Embid could have some potential, but what happens if Philly gets the 1st pick this year? Are they willing to go with Okafor and trade away one of Noel or Embid. Or, do they think that Muiday is worthy of first overall?

Which brings up another question. There are many good PGs out there, but not elite ones. For many of them, it takes a few years for them to reach their full strength (Paul/Williams/Rose were the only 3 I remember being elite from day 1, and with John Wall, it took a while... got to the point that people were thinking that he was a bust lol). Are the picks from now, willing to spend another couple years where the FO will gut the team to the extent where they lose at least 55 (probably more) games, just so they get a higher pick?

I guess we'll see. Let's not just call the 76ers GM a genius for being able to absorb a contract and get a first round pick out of it too. We've seen it before, Philly needed to to get closer to the cap floor lol

D-Leethal
02-22-2015, 08:20 PM
I cant wait to see how this turns out. The Knicks fan in me wants it to fail but I think Hinkie has done a phenomenal job.

A phenomenal job at doing what? They still need a ton of good fortune and luck in the draft to have any semblance of a future contender. All this losing and all he has to show for it is a shot blocker with a torn ACL and a big unknown question mark prospect C with a broken foot. It seems to me he is just gonna keep sacrificing his current roster for future picks, close his eyes real hard and hope Anthony Davis falls into his lap. I don't see him building anything - at all actually. I like Embiid as a prospect but I don't see how Hinkie can get any praise at this juncture. I can't even see an attempt to build anything over there - two years of outrageous tanking and all there is to show is a questionable young big man pairing and nothing in sight but more years of outrageous tanking.

KnicksorBust
02-22-2015, 08:55 PM

A phenomenal job at doing what? They still need a ton of good fortune and luck in the draft to have any semblance of a future contender. All this losing and all he has to show for it is a shot blocker with a torn ACL and a big unknown question mark prospect C with a broken foot. It seems to me he is just gonna keep sacrificing his current roster for future picks, close his eyes real hard and hope Anthony Davis falls into his lap. I don't see him building anything - at all actually. I like Embiid as a prospect but I don't see how Hinkie can get any praise at this juncture. I can't even see an attempt to build anything over there - two years of outrageous tanking and all there is to show is a questionable young big man pairing and nothing in sight but more years of outrageous tanking.

He has acquired a ton of assets and has created a roster with 0 bad contracts. That takes skill.

Alayla
02-22-2015, 09:27 PM
MCW was your typical when your that bad SOMEONE has to do the scoring guy the stats he put up where very hollow and there is alot of holes in his game.
KJ was the one with acutal talent but i think they did this in order to support Grant since he is locked up longer.

For Noel No he has not been disappointing if anything he has been a little more than i expected so far.
As for the plan just wait everything will be fine we have a near historic amount of assets right now.

jeter 2
02-22-2015, 10:42 PM
I don't get the really MCW trade and I really hope it bits them. MCW is the only player with talent. Why would you give him up? Because his shooting stats are poor? I mean he's not Allen Iverson. I think you put talent around, he could be a solid third option. He could probably average around 18 and 9. Why give that up for an unknown?

Also, I think the Sixers should look at the Spurs, Pacers, Mavericks, Grizzlies who didn't build through the lottery. What they are doing in Philly is just stupid. You just don't go from a 15 win team to 55 win team in a few years. They gotta develop and retain their young players.

dodgersuck
02-22-2015, 11:07 PM
The city of Philly is getting what they deserve :rimshot:

But seriously, have more patience. They are gonna be something special one day. There's some moves to be made for them this off season.
**** you

TheIlladelph16
02-23-2015, 10:01 AM
I don't get the really MCW trade and I really hope it bits them. MCW is the only player with talent. Why would you give him up? Because his shooting stats are poor? I mean he's not Allen Iverson. I think you put talent around, he could be a solid third option. He could probably average around 18 and 9. Why give that up for an unknown?

Also, I think the Sixers should look at the Spurs, Pacers, Mavericks, Grizzlies who didn't build through the lottery. What they are doing in Philly is just stupid. You just don't go from a 15 win team to 55 win team in a few years. They gotta develop and retain their young players.

1. It's year two of the rebuild. It's not like they've been jettisoning all this young talent either. They've traded one young talent in MCW for a potentially better asset and another that they weren't going to resign anyway.

2. The only player with talent is quite an exaggeration. Certainly we haven't seen a potential superstar on their roster, but to willfully ignore the rest of the team's talent is a dishonest evaluation.

nycericanguy
02-23-2015, 10:13 AM
I think trading MCW and KJ went too far. MCW was never given a fair shake, he's a pass first PG that was asked to be the #1 option as soon as he came into the league. And they not only surrounded him with literally d-league players, but a revolving door of dleague players at that! Made it impossible for the kid. I think he will flourish in MIL.

I wonder how much longer PHI fans will be patient, Hinkie keeps pushing the reset button. Look at the end in 4-5 years they may very well up end up with a franchise player and a good young team. But winning in the NBA is soooo fragile, just remember POR looked like they had a dynasty in the making with Oden & Roy. Point being waiting all these years and being so bad all these years guarantees nothing, you still need luck.

At the end of the day basketball is entertainment for most of us, we all love and root for our teams but realistically we know winning an NBA title is the hardest thing to do in sports. Only 8 teams have done it in the last 31 years. So at what point does one say "I just want to watch quality basketball with an actual NBA team"? PHI has MORE than enough assets to pull off a trade for a superstar like Harden if they become available... at this point I think Hinkie is doing more harm than good by constantly hitting reset.

D-Leethal
02-23-2015, 10:25 AM
I think trading MCW and KJ went too far. MCW was never given a fair shake, he's a pass first PG that was asked to be the #1 option as soon as he came into the league. And they not only surrounded him with literally d-league players, but a revolving door of dleague players at that! Made it impossible for the kid. I think he will flourish in MIL.

I wonder how much longer PHI fans will be patient, Hinkie keeps pushing the reset button. Look at the end in 4-5 years they may very well up end up with a franchise player and a good young team. But winning in the NBA is soooo fragile, just remember POR looked like they had a dynasty in the making with Oden & Roy. Point being waiting all these years and being so bad all these years guarantees nothing, you still need luck.

At the end of the day basketball is entertainment for most of us, we all love and root for our teams but realistically we know winning an NBA title is the hardest thing to do in sports. Only 8 teams have done it in the last 31 years. So at what point does one say "I just want to watch quality basketball with an actual NBA team"? PHI has MORE than enough assets to pull off a trade for a superstar like Harden if they become available... at this point I think Hinkie is doing more harm than good by constantly hitting reset.

I don't see any intentions on actually building a basketball team anytime in the near future. All I see is more tank. When does it stop? When does it become time to actually build?

Hinkie has decided to sign nobody, how can we praise him for not having bad contracts? He doesn't have any signed contracts (excluding rookie and min deals) at all. I think any GM in the league could accomplish that if you gave them two years, its not like he inherited a team full of albatross contracts. I'd like to see him actually use these assets to acquire NBA basketball players and use that cap space to sign NBA basketball players and build a team capable of winning NBA basketball teams before we crown him some evil genius.

He has done absolutely nothing but tank his *** off and there is zero sign of a competitive team anywhere down the line yet.

D-Leethal
02-23-2015, 10:31 AM
I mean, all he has is two pieces right now, one hasn't even played a game yet and they seem to be a questionable fit together for the future. Its not like he stockpiled all this young talent, he has two freakin' pieces after firesaling his entire roster more than once and tanking for two straight years.

Again, all I see is a guy acquiring as many picks as possible, closing his eyes and praying the next big HOF superstar falls into his lap. If he doesn't, press reset, try (tank) again next year. With no intention of ever trying to improve in between. I hope this whole experiment fails miserably because its bad for the game. It seems he has no intention to build a team until all of this hoping and praying works out - then he might start to build once he has the next Anthony Davis.

D-Leethal
02-23-2015, 10:33 AM
1. It's year two of the rebuild. It's not like they've been jettisoning all this young talent either. They've traded one young talent in MCW for a potentially better asset and another that they weren't going to resign anyway.

2. The only player with talent is quite an exaggeration. Certainly we haven't seen a potential superstar on their roster, but to willfully ignore the rest of the team's talent is a dishonest evaluation.

No rebuild should require THREE straight seasons of blatant tanking with more focus on losing than winning and no attempt to get better during those three years. Most teams tank their *** off one year, get a great pick, and start to build. Philly refuses to start to build. What is the end game here? Something tells me its not building around Noel and Embiid, it tells me its tanking for someone better.

2-ONE-5
02-23-2015, 10:46 AM
its certainly rebuilding around Embiid. He prob isnt playing this year but we have been able to see plenty of footage of him so far between pracitce and pregame drills and looks pretty healthy right. You are forgetting covington too he is going to be sticking around, we turned down tons of deals for him leading up to last week.

D-Leethal
02-23-2015, 10:51 AM
its certainly rebuilding around Embiid. He prob isnt playing this year but we have been able to see plenty of footage of him so far between pracitce and pregame drills and looks pretty healthy right. You are forgetting covington too he is going to be sticking around, we turned down tons of deals for him leading up to last week.

Do you envision them making any attempts this summer to get better next year or just tank again?

2-ONE-5
02-23-2015, 11:08 AM
Do you envision them making any attempts this summer to get better next year or just tank again?

theres no one to sign. its not like we are getting Gasol, LMA, Love or have any interest in Jackson, Monroe, Dragic. You are gonna see a lineup of Embiid/Noel/Covington and probably 2 rookies depending on who we take in the draft-possbily Canaan still at PG for one more year. Might see Saric come over next year too.

5ass
02-23-2015, 11:28 AM
I think its more likely Noel gets traded.

valade16
02-23-2015, 11:28 AM
Here's the thing, this is currently year 2 of this rebuild, and they likely won't be any good next year. So that is 3 seasons of straight punting any competitiveness.

Now look at how long the Thunder took to get good. They started out 20-62 in year 1 of KD. 23-59 in year 2. 50-32 in year 3, then 55-27 in year 4 when they became true contenders.

So that was a 4 year ascension to the top of the league. If we assume the 76ers take around that long (3-5 years) from when they acquire the foundation of their talent, adding that time to what they've already done shows you their true rebuild will take about 6 years (at a minimum) of being competitive.

That is a long time to wait and see if your strategy pans out. If it doesn't work, Philly could have ended up wasting an entire decade on a failed strategy. That is a long time to wait and see if your effort bears fruit.

D-Leethal
02-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Here's the thing, this is currently year 2 of this rebuild, and they likely won't be any good next year. So that is 3 seasons of straight punting any competitiveness.

Now look at how long the Thunder took to get good. They started out 20-62 in year 1 of KD. 23-59 in year 2. 50-32 in year 3, then 55-27 in year 4 when they became true contenders.

So that was a 4 year ascension to the top of the league. If we assume the 76ers take around that long (3-5 years) from when they acquire the foundation of their talent, adding that time to what they've already done shows you their true rebuild will take about 6 years (at a minimum) of being competitive.

That is a long time to wait and see if your strategy pans out. If it doesn't work, Philly could have ended up wasting an entire decade on a failed strategy. That is a long time to wait and see if your effort bears fruit.

After two years you should have more than 3 pieces to build upon (especially with only one of them having a shot to be a franchise cornerstone and he is still the biggest ? in the league). Use those assets to swing a trade or SOMETHING. They are just sitting on them, making no run at anyone who becomes available, and trading dudes they do draft just to reset the tank another year. I agree with the guy above that they probably trade Noel soon too. I don't see a plan at all - just reckless tanking on acquiring assets that they seem to have no intention of capitalizing on anytime soon.

PhillyFaninLA
02-23-2015, 11:57 AM
I am actually ok with us right now.

Noles is proving he can become a game altering defender and he is long and energetic.

Embiid and Saric could each be special.

I liked the way Canaan moved in last nights game, he has skill and fundamentals, now he just needs to learn how to play basketball. I think he can develop into something.

Grant is proving he may become everything his dad and uncle where

Convintry could be a real nice find.

Brent Brown may have his long term bench...and 3 long term starters (Noles, Embiid, and Saric)....get us a starting PG (if Canaan doesn't develop into what I think he can be) and get a SG and we are solid.

I don't think people that criticize the Sixers watch them. Brent Brown has helped develop players, and has put in a system. Now he just need NBA players as starters. That means a healthy Embiid next year, buy out Saric and have him playing next year, continued development offensively by Noles (and further growth defensively and he can be one of the best defenders in the league)

I didn't care about the record this year, next year needs to be a growth year and a foundation year, we can be good in 2 years, or very good in 3 - 5.

PhillyFaninLA
02-23-2015, 12:01 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/double-doubles/position/rookies

check out the other stats for NBA rookies this year and you'll see the Sixers aren't actually do that terrible.

2-ONE-5
02-23-2015, 12:02 PM
After two years you should have more than 3 pieces to build upon (especially with only one of them having a shot to be a franchise cornerstone and he is still the biggest ? in the league). Use those assets to swing a trade or SOMETHING. They are just sitting on them, making no run at anyone who becomes available, and trading dudes they do draft just to reset the tank another year. I agree with the guy above that they probably trade Noel soon too. I don't see a plan at all - just reckless tanking on acquiring assets that they seem to have no intention of capitalizing on anytime soon.

you keep looking at it wrong. we have more than 2 peices, we have the best cap and draft pick situation to go along with that hence the most assets in the league by a wide margin BUT we cant force a team to trade us whoever we want or go waste all these assets for the wrong player. Who do you suggest we trade for this offseason?

Goose17
02-23-2015, 12:19 PM
It's a massive risk and if I was a fan of the team I think I would be unhappy.

But as a fan I find it intriguing, they put a lot of stock into analytics and I'm intrigued to see if this NBA version of moneyball pans out.

They could quite easily pull in a franchise player if they wanted to. All they need is a disgruntled star (Love in Minny) who doesn't have a trade clause in their contract with 3+ years left on their deal. They have seven first round draft picks and thirteen second round draft picks over the next four years. Plus they have a decent amount of young talent still. If you want to bring in a franchise player you need picks, young talent and cap space. Philly have those.

I think they're going to continue what they've been doing for the next 2-3 years.

I'm curious to see what happens next.

Stinkyoutsider
02-23-2015, 01:24 PM
I don't agree with how the 76ers are going about their business. We're talking about prospects after all. Not established professional players. You may have the opportunity to draft a top level prospect but if this prospect is injury prone, doesn't have a great mentality (work ethic, desire, ...), or just doesn't turn out to be a superstar, then these picks aren't quite as valuable.

If I was a veteran player, I wouldn't want to spend my career playing for a club looking to get rid of established players for prospects like the 76ers are doing. I would want to win and winning in Philly is far down their future if these accumulated picks turn out to be good selections.

76ers should be lucky this isn't soccer lol. They would be relegated by now...

Westbrook36
02-23-2015, 02:09 PM
I mean, all he has is two pieces right now, one hasn't even played a game yet and they seem to be a questionable fit together for the future. Its not like he stockpiled all this young talent, he has two freakin' pieces after firesaling his entire roster more than once and tanking for two straight years.

Again, all I see is a guy acquiring as many picks as possible, closing his eyes and praying the next big HOF superstar falls into his lap. If he doesn't, press reset, try (tank) again next year. With no intention of ever trying to improve in between. I hope this whole experiment fails miserably because its bad for the game. It seems he has no intention to build a team until all of this hoping and praying works out - then he might start to build once he has the next Anthony Davis.

"All he has is two pieces" is so far from the truth it's ridiculous.

1. You are completely forgetting Dario Saric who will most likely be bought out this upcoming offseason and be playing in the NBA next season.
2. In that process of selecting Saric he moved back from our other pick to vulture our first rounder that the previous regime packaged in the Bynum deal back from Orlando, another future asset.
3. He's been able to mass acquire second round picks (Along with first round picks)..and if he's anything like Morey his success rate of drafting players should end up above league average. I mean..he is the one who drafted KJ, no?
4. If we have ANY hope of Noel/Embiid working together as a big man combo we need outside shooters and floor spacing. I was one that thought MCW could potentially turn it around, but his shooting is AWFUL across the board. He might be able to salvage that a bit, but the inefficiency and turnovers doesn't help his cause. In this case he nabs what we believe will be a top 10 pick next season, I'd venture to likely say top 8 outside of Marc Gasol/Gragic both going to LA (unlikely). With PG being one of the easiest positions to find substance, the move made all the sense if MCW isn't in the future plans.

Why would he use ANY of our salary cap this past offseason or this upcoming offseason with such a young roster? It doesn't make sense to overspend our cap and destroy the flexibility that he's been building. Does adding a subpar non all-star type talent for 6-7..if not 10 million per season make us any better in the next two seasons? Not a damn chance. Role players and surrounding players aren't exactly hard to find in the NBA, it's finding the superstars and franchise type talent that is. By adding a vast amount of picks, capspace, and youth the ability to either 1. Acquire a superstar or 2. Draft a superstar increases ten fold.

Next season is a MUCH MUCH MUCH more important season compared to this year. We'll have another top talent in this years draft, Noel, Saric (Almost certain that'll get done), and a healthy Embiid. This trade deadline wasn't "tanking" in the slightest, it's moving pieces around to build a bigger puzzle. I was not a fan of the KJ trade as I see him as a valuable role player, but his contract might have played a part and we needed a PG desperately with MCW gone.

We started off this season terrible as noted by many media sites and PSD, but we've played some exciting basketball since and our record has improved over our last 20 games greatly.

The Thunder example is a load of crap too..They drafted KD..then Westbrook/Harden..When you hit on three top 15 players the rebuild becomes a wee bit easier..

Hawkeye15
02-23-2015, 02:43 PM

revenue sharing is why Philly is even able to do what they are doing. It won't stop. They can do this as long as they want under the current structure.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2015, 02:45 PM
He has acquired a ton of assets and has created a roster with 0 bad contracts. That takes skill.

so did David Kahn. Just saying...

2-ONE-5
02-23-2015, 02:59 PM
revenue sharing is why Philly is even able to do what they are doing. It won't stop. They can do this as long as they want under the current structure.

false. we are not eligible for rev sharing, nice try though.

ManRam
02-23-2015, 03:01 PM
The city of Philly deserves better? Says who?

Hawkeye15
02-23-2015, 03:03 PM
false. we are not eligible for rev sharing, nice try though.

you will be if and when your profits drop to that level. Ie, your owner/GM knows the protection is there if things get bad enough.

Revenue sharing is the reason a team can do this.

2-ONE-5
02-23-2015, 03:08 PM
no we will never be, what are you talking about? we are the 4th biggest market in the league so we cannot participate in revenue sharing. The Nets lost 200 million last year you dont see them all of the sudden getting rev sharing. We also dont even come close to losing money anyway.

D-Leethal
02-23-2015, 03:19 PM
"All he has is two pieces" is so far from the truth it's ridiculous.

1. You are completely forgetting Dario Saric who will most likely be bought out this upcoming offseason and be playing in the NBA next season.
2. In that process of selecting Saric he moved back from our other pick to vulture our first rounder that the previous regime packaged in the Bynum deal back from Orlando, another future asset.
3. He's been able to mass acquire second round picks (Along with first round picks)..and if he's anything like Morey his success rate of drafting players should end up above league average. I mean..he is the one who drafted KJ, no?
4. If we have ANY hope of Noel/Embiid working together as a big man combo we need outside shooters and floor spacing. I was one that thought MCW could potentially turn it around, but his shooting is AWFUL across the board. He might be able to salvage that a bit, but the inefficiency and turnovers doesn't help his cause. In this case he nabs what we believe will be a top 10 pick next season, I'd venture to likely say top 8 outside of Marc Gasol/Gragic both going to LA (unlikely). With PG being one of the easiest positions to find substance, the move made all the sense if MCW isn't in the future plans.

Why would he use ANY of our salary cap this past offseason or this upcoming offseason with such a young roster? It doesn't make sense to overspend our cap and destroy the flexibility that he's been building. Does adding a subpar non all-star type talent for 6-7..if not 10 million per season make us any better in the next two seasons? Not a damn chance. Role players and surrounding players aren't exactly hard to find in the NBA, it's finding the superstars and franchise type talent that is. By adding a vast amount of picks, capspace, and youth the ability to either 1. Acquire a superstar or 2. Draft a superstar increases ten fold.

Next season is a MUCH MUCH MUCH more important season compared to this year. We'll have another top talent in this years draft, Noel, Saric (Almost certain that'll get done), and a healthy Embiid. This trade deadline wasn't "tanking" in the slightest, it's moving pieces around to build a bigger puzzle. I was not a fan of the KJ trade as I see him as a valuable role player, but his contract might have played a part and we needed a PG desperately with MCW gone.

We started off this season terrible as noted by many media sites and PSD, but we've played some exciting basketball since and our record has improved over our last 20 games greatly.

The Thunder example is a load of crap too..They drafted KD..then Westbrook/Harden..When you hit on three top 15 players the rebuild becomes a wee bit easier..

"It is so far from the truth its ridiculous" because there is not 2, but 3 prospects? Two of which have still never stepped on an NBA court and were going on year 3 of the rebuild.

Ahhh and he stockpiled 2nd round picks! Wonderful job by him there.

I don't expect the guy to go sign role players to play around their non-existent core but I do expect him to be in conversations when guys become available to maybe just maybe do something with those assets that MIGHT actually have a chance of making them a better team. I understand he is still many years and lotteries away from actually wanting to start building, but it would be nice to see him enter the conversations around the deadline for more than a constant fire sale and pick parade.

And the fact that you had to ditch MCW just because he didn't shoot well enough to compliment a questionable front line pairing in the first place shows what his "plan" is right now. There is no plan - stockpile picks until you hit the lotto.

Right now all I see is an injured, never-stepped-foot-on-the-court Embiid with no plan to build around him (are you building around him for sure or just until you draft someone better or realize he isn't "the guy"?). Noel will likely be gone soon too, he is not the right guy to put next to Embiid unless he can enhance his offensive game. Two lottery picks taken in the past 2 years that don't fit, what exactly is Hinkie doing again?

Going on year 3 and I still see you guys stuck on step 1 of the rebuild.

PhillyFaninLA
02-23-2015, 03:31 PM
"It is so far from the truth its ridiculous" because there is not 2, but 3 prospects? Two of which have still never stepped on an NBA court and were going on year 3 of the rebuild.

I don't expect the guy to go sign role players to play around their non-existent core but I do expect him to be in conversations when guys become available to maybe just maybe do something with those assets that MIGHT actually have a chance of making them a better team. I understand he is still many years and lotteries away from actually wanting to start building, but it would be nice to see him enter the conversations around the deadline for more than a constant fire sale and pick parade.

And the fact that you had to ditch MCW just because he didn't shoot well enough to compliment a questionable front line pairing in the first place shows what his "plan" is right now. There is no plan - stockpile picks until you hit the lotto.

Right now all I see is an injured, never-stepped-foot-on-the-court Embiid with no plan to build around him (are you building around him for sure or just until you draft someone better or realize he isn't "the guy"?). Noel will likely be gone soon too, he is not the right guy to put next to Embiid unless he can enhance his offensive game. Two lottery picks taken in the past 2 years that don't fit, what exactly is Hinkie doing again?

For those that don't know....this type of post comes from either blind hatred, or not actually watching a team and only following stories.

The more you Know

D-Leethal
02-23-2015, 03:44 PM
For those that don't know....this type of post comes from either blind hatred, or not actually watching a team and only following stories.

The more you Know

Please explain where I am shouting blind hatred.

Do you see a plan in motion? I see a tankjob that started two years ago and looks like it will continue into next season, with nothing but an injured rookie heralded as the franchise who hasn't played a game and a questionable pairing next to him up front.

I haven't seen a plan outside of 1) stockpile picks, 2) tank, 3) pray. Going on year 3 of this now with next to nothing to show for it. I have zero reason at all to hate Philly, just calling it like I see it.

D-Leethal
02-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Teams are gonna tank, it is what it is, the Knicks are pulling off a miraculous 2nd half tank job as we speak. But nobody has ever blatantly tanked 3 straight seasons with zero intentions of getting better from year to year quite like Philly has. At some point Hinkie needs to start making moves to build a team that can win some games. It shouldn't take 3 full tank years to start adding.

2-ONE-5
02-23-2015, 03:57 PM
Teams are gonna tank, it is what it is, the Knicks are pulling off a miraculous 2nd half tank job as we speak. But nobody has ever blatantly tanked 3 straight seasons with zero intentions of getting better from year to year quite like Philly has. At some point Hinkie needs to start making moves to build a team that can win some games. It shouldn't take 3 full tank years to start adding.

we cant dicate when players become available to make a splash, it could be 1 year or it could be 5 til the right player becomes available we dont know.Our focus is on player development right now and will remain tht way next year and we have been able to see that we have a great staff at doing so thus far.

Westbrook36
02-23-2015, 04:29 PM

The bottom line is that you take the best players that are available. I'm sure Hinkie would have loved to have either Wiggins or Parker last draft, but with the Embiid injury and the draft lottery that's not how it worked it. He took the player with quite possibly the highest potential in the entire draft, full well knowing that he wouldn't see NBA production out of him for the full season.

Where are you getting 3 years of rebuilding?

1. We traded Iggy, Vuc, picks, etc for Andrew Bynum for the 2012-2013 NBA season. This obviously didn't work out in our favor as Bynum hasn't been nearly the same since leaving. This begins the rebuild, new owners, new coach, new GM, etc.
2. We then trade our last true asset in Jrue Holiday for a flipping of picks, turning into Noel + Saric (Pelicans pick) + MCW (our pick) + our first round pick back from that rape of a trade for Bynum. Where Noel was seen as the best prospect before his ACL injury and has come back healthy from it after sitting out a season. This is year one of our rebuild. So you'd rather have Jrue Holiday and a couple 30-40 win seasons (if that) then Noel, Saric, AND a first rounder?
3. We trade away subpar talent in Hawes/Turner and draft Embiid + Saric. This is our second year of the rebuild.

You need role players? He's drafted and found some hidden gems already with Grant, KJ, Covington, etc. He's going to turn those second round picks into valuable role players and future assets. But no..I'd rather have Billy King back putting the future into the drain like he did to ANOTHER franchise in the Nets.

That whole paragraph looks like a pile of crap to me. You bring up that we have a "non-existent" core, but want us to make moves to "improve our team." This looks like the definition of mediocrity to me. What players do you suggest us bringing in? As I mentioned previously..Our core will really come together next season when we have Embiid, our top selection, and Saric in our starting lineup. I don't think he's many lotteries or years away from seeing his rebuild come together, competitive? Sure. Together? No.

It wasn't simply because he can't shoot. It's supply chain management, VALUE. Do you buy the product that is the cheapest or the one that will provide the most value over the longest term? The value of another top 8 lottery pick was too sweet to pass up on MCW. Someone who regressed this past season, can't shoot at all (Even FTs 64%), and plays a position that's one of the easiest to duplicate. Is it a bit of a risk seeing as we have no idea where the pick will land or who will be select? Sure..but the value is definitely worth it.

...Oh no..We didn't draft Embiid to be our franchise center with the #3 pick in one of the most stacked drafts this past decade. I think we plan to cut him or trade him..or..err...something. Embiid is the key to the quickest chance of this rebuild turning into competitive playoff basketball. You don't know that, Noel has the athletic ability and lateral quickness to defend majority of the PFs in the game. With Saric being a SF/PF it's entirely possibly that trio will work really well together. Offensively the low post scorer is suppose to be Embiid as he showed in college some serious post moves for such a young fellow.

We'll see though..I could not be more excited for this rebuilding process and movement. Is it risky? Absolutely, but you can't hit a jackpot without being risky.

whoisonourteam
02-23-2015, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=mike_noodles;29646184]The city of Philly is getting what they deserve :rimshot:

Deserves ?......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuvEJ-U1UDc

KnicksorBust
02-23-2015, 06:50 PM

All I will say (since I am on my phone lol) is that if Philly is doing the same thing 1 year from today I will be here bashing them. But I believe Hinkie (like Morey) is just waiting for his chance to pounce. With crazy cap space, assets, and a top pick, the Sixers are in prime position to build a young competitive team in the next 6 months.

JEDean89
02-23-2015, 07:47 PM
Um Philly has been tanking 2 years now, will be a marginally better team next year and likely not a playoff team for another 3+ years. The East will start to get tough with the Pacers and hopefully the Knicks returning to relevancy next year. The Bucks, Hornets and Pistons are all young improving teams, and I just don't see, unless they draft a stud this offseason and Embiid comes in ready to rock, them getting the talent. They will have a rookie PG next year (if they can draft one), and their only other talented player will be Noel and Embiid, that's no where near enough. I personally think this will backfire when Noel gets traded or refuses to extend with the team, the people of Philadelphia won't stand for 5 years of this.

D-Leethal
02-24-2015, 04:20 PM
Looks like everyone including Embiid is available for more draft picks. What exactly is Hinkie building again over there?

From the outside looking in, it may appear as though Philadelphia isnít all that committed to any of its prospects on the roster. And a recent report that Joel Embiid may have been available for more high lottery picks only adds more fuel to that somewhat speculative fire.

From Mark Heisler of Forbes.com:

In an unnoticed development at last weekís trade deadline, the 76ers were still trying to trade up for a top pick in this draft, indicating a willingness to talk about Joel Embiid or any player on their team, an NBA source told Forbes.com.

Yes, thatís the Joel Embiid they drafted No. 3 overall last spring, after compiling the worst record and seeing the Cavaliers and Bucks jump ahead of them in the lottery.

This guy is outrageous. "Hope and pray, hope and pray" "Don't bother building anything until you luck into a future HOFer" - The Sam Hinkie model.

D-Leethal
02-24-2015, 04:23 PM
Draft the best rookie last year - trade him 1 year later. Draft a surprise stud in 2nd round this year - one of the leagues best rookies - trade him too. How about the "Next Hakeem" that is THE building block - meh I'll trade him for another lotto pick.

What is this guy doing? Can the Hinkie apologist brigade explain this one? Did Hinkie's analytics department not like the efficiency at which Embiid's foot is healing? Maybe his TS% wasn't looking that good in a walking boot so they are gonna trade him before the league catches up...

Alayla
02-24-2015, 04:34 PM
Draft the best rookie last year - trade him 1 year later. Draft a surprise stud in 2nd round this year - one of the leagues best rookies - trade him too. How about the "Next Hakeem" that is THE building block - meh I'll trade him for another lotto pick.

What is this guy doing? Can the Hinkie apologist brigade explain this one? Did Hinkie's analytics department not like the efficiency at which Embiid's foot is healing? Maybe his TS% wasn't looking that good in a walking boot so they are gonna trade him before the league catches up...

no where in that did it say the sixers are trading embiid or shoping him or anything
all it says is that no one is untouchable and no one should be at this point in the process.

D-Leethal
02-24-2015, 04:53 PM
no where in that did it say the sixers are trading embiid or shoping him or anything
all it says is that no one is untouchable and no one should be at this point in the process.

Most of the time, teams actually do treat the top 3 picks they tanked their balls off as untouchable. Obviously, nobody is untouchable for the right price - but fielding offers for Embiid for another lottery pick? Come on man. This is lunacy. The guy hasn't even played a game yet and they are willing to ship him out for another pick?

Shopping him maybe not - but the word is obviously out that Embiid is more than available for a high lottery pick. When does it end?

Jamiecballer
02-24-2015, 05:10 PM
Most of the time, teams actually do treat the top 3 picks they tanked their balls off as untouchable. Obviously, nobody is untouchable for the right price - but fielding offers for Embiid for another lottery pick? Come on man. This is lunacy. The guy hasn't even played a game yet and they are willing to ship him out for another pick?

Shopping him maybe not - but the word is obviously out that Embiid is more than available for a high lottery pick. When does it end?

i was inclined to agree with you for a moment but then i got thinking maybe they are on to something. you have a year to get to know everything about the kid, from his "iq" to things that are much more important like how intelligently he "lives". examine the makeup, the work ethic, under real conditions unlike the BS they are no doubt fed leading up to the draft. all that. it's like an extended trial or getting the first 3 months at a reduced rate on your internet bill. try before you buy. if he doesn't have the it factor, trade him and try again next year.

2-ONE-5
02-24-2015, 05:25 PM

no one knows what Hinkie does so i highly doubt Embiid was made available. Philly media hates him and loves to mess with him when they get the chance. i mean hes not gonna just trade the 3rd overall pick for an unkown lotto pick that just isnt what he does, MCW went at the very last minute after declining trades for a year bcuz he felt it was too good of an offer to pass up. I would bet that a few teams called us about Embiid like they have with MCW since day 1 and Covington since his emergence too