PDA

View Full Version : Report: Goran Dragic still sees Lakers as ‘perfect fit’ in free agency this summer

SF8
02-21-2015, 06:37 AM
The Lakers expressed a “ton” of interest in guard Goran Dragic, according to an NBA source familiar with the situation. But the Lakers “just didn’t have assets,” the league source said. Instead, the Phoenix Suns traded Dragic and his brother, Zoran, to the Miami Heat for Danny Granger, Justin Hamilton and two first-round picks. …

A person familiar with Dragic’s thinking said he “loves the opportunity” to join the Lakers and sees them as a “perfect fit” when he becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer. But the Heat can sign Dragic a five-year deal worth up to $100 million, while other teams can offer up to a four-year deal worth $80 million.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/20/report-goran-dragic-sees-lakers-as-perfect-fit-in-free-agency-this-summer/

If the Heat match the Lakers offer, how will they be able to afford Wade, Dragic, Deng, Bosh and soon Whiteside all on these big contracts? Even with the cap going up, seems like a stretch to think they'll be able to pay all these guys.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-21-2015, 11:11 AM
I dont want an old dragon

SteBO
02-21-2015, 11:16 AM
I dont want an old dragon
He'll only be 29-30 after this year, unless you're talking about his next contract, then yes.

Tony_Starks
02-21-2015, 11:29 AM
Lakers will have to sign him. Their goal should be to assemble as much talent as possible come hell or high water. Under Jimmy's reign just offering Big money, Cali sun, and the Laker legacy isn't going to cut it. We gotta start from the bottom up to get that back....

Dade County
02-21-2015, 12:02 PM
smh

Some of you would believe this.

jerellh528
02-21-2015, 12:12 PM
Lakers will have to sign him. Their goal should be to assemble as much talent as possible come hell or high water. Under Jimmy's reign just offering Big money, Cali sun, and the Laker legacy isn't going to cut it. We gotta start from the bottom up to get that back....

And it doesn't start with dragic. He can stay in Miami.

lakerfan85
02-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Pass.. He's not worth 20 mil per season..

IgglesFanInCO
02-21-2015, 12:25 PM
Lakers are gonna be trading for Ty Lawson who is better and cheaper anyways

jaydubb
02-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Please God no.. Keep him in Miami.. :hope:

jaydubb
02-21-2015, 12:32 PM
http://youtu.be/31g0YE61PLQ

Teeboy1487
02-21-2015, 12:41 PM
I do not want Dragic in a Lakers uniform. No way he deserves max. Hopefully the Heat signs him up.

c.c.
02-21-2015, 12:48 PM
Dragic isn't a top 10 player in his position and the PG position is stocked with talent young players.

With that being said, Dragic is going be a regret after he signs that big contract! In glad Morey let him be.

nycericanguy
02-21-2015, 12:54 PM
Dragic isn't a top 10 player in his position and the PG position is stocked with talent young players.

With that being said, Dragic is going be a regret after he signs that big contract! In glad Morey let him be.

you could make a case that he was the best PG in the league last year.

We'll see if it was a fluke or not when he plays PG full time again.

I doubt he goes anywhere, I think if anything he'll just use LA as leverage to get his MAX. He knows MIA cannot lose him after giving up two 1st rounders for him.

That being said, with the Bosh situation now and Wade's health always a concern, I could see him leaving if MIA's future looks really bad. With Dragic now MIA won't have cap space this summer either.

GiantsSwaGG
02-21-2015, 12:55 PM
Lakers are gonna be trading for Ty Lawson who is better and cheaper anyways

I hope the Knicks beat them too it.

I love Lawson

GiantsSwaGG
02-21-2015, 12:57 PM

We'll see if it was a fluke or not when he plays PG full time again.

I doubt he goes anywhere, I think if anything he'll just use LA as leverage to get his MAX. He knows MIA cannot lose him after giving up two 1st rounders for him.

That being said, with the Bosh situation now and Wade's health always a concern, I could see him leaving if MIA's future looks really bad. With Dragic now MIA won't have cap space this summer either.

I doubt that, in fact I can see Mia offer more than 100. Maybe 5 yrs 110 or he leaves

nycericanguy
02-21-2015, 01:01 PM
I doubt that, in fact I can see Mia offer more than 100. Maybe 5 yrs 110 or he leaves

Lakers can offer 4/80m. and I read Dragic's agent say the 5th year isn't important...lol.

Lakers are gonna be desperate this summer because they are not going to want to send PHI a high lotto pick.

GiantsSwaGG
02-21-2015, 01:04 PM
Lakers can offer 4/80m. and I read Dragic's agent say the 5th year isn't important...lol.

Lakers are gonna be desperate this summer because they are not going to want to send PHI a high lotto pick.

True but I doubt he'll leave that much money on the tablez Dragic holds all the cards right now and Mia might be force to severely overpay him. The way Wade look yesterday, he's got a year left tops before he begins to suck, Bosh (very unfortunate) best days are behind him and with Whiteside (if he continues to play well) due for a huge pay day Dragic can go gangsta and say "either offer me close to the full Max or I'm walking"

Vinylman
02-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Dragic is a weird dude...

He is one of the few guys in the league where the conventional wisdom does not apply (ie take the most cash)

I think predicting what he will due is a crapshoot at this point although i do agree that Miami will max/max him at 12:01

c.c.
02-21-2015, 01:13 PM

I have to strongly disagree with you! Dude wasn't thought of when someone mentioned PG in the league.

nycericanguy
02-21-2015, 01:27 PM
I have to strongly disagree with you! Dude wasn't thought of when someone mentioned PG in the league.

yea I mean he's a Yugoslavian PG that slowly got better and better. He's not really a household name I guess...

But tell me, who was flat out better than him last year at PG? You can make a case for a few guys, but they are all debatable. You can certainly make a case for him as best PG last year.

GiantsSwaGG
02-21-2015, 01:48 PM

What are you talking about? He was playing like a top 5 PG last year

c.c.
02-21-2015, 01:55 PM
yea I mean he's a Yugoslavian PG that slowly got better and better. He's not really a household name I guess...

But tell me, who was flat out better than him last year at PG? You can make a case for a few guys, but they are all debatable. You can certainly make a case for him as best PG last year.

Curry
Lillard
Westbrook
Paul
Parker
Lowery
Kyrie
Conely
Kemba Walker
Wall

In no particular order those 10 guys go ahead of Dragic last year.

Dragic, Lawson, and Teague would be fighting for that next spot

c.c.
02-21-2015, 01:59 PM
What are you talking about? He was playing like a top 5 PG last year

Top five you say? Okay what who was the top five PG last year then

IndyRealist
02-21-2015, 02:02 PM

Morey seemed to think a lot of him. Not two picks and half your bench, but a lot.

IndyRealist
02-21-2015, 02:05 PM
Miami has no choice but to max him, or they threw away 2 picks. I think this is a non-issue. He's not leaving the extra % in raises on the table, even if he'll leave the 5th year.

As far as Bosh goes, people recover from pulmonary embolisms, if that's what the diagnosis ends up being. They give you medication to break up the blood clots and you're fine in a few months.

nycericanguy
02-21-2015, 02:08 PM
Curry
Lillard
Westbrook
Paul
Parker
Lowery
Kyrie
Conely
Kemba Walker
Wall

In no particular order those 10 guys go ahead of Dragic last year.

Dragic, Lawson, and Teague would be fighting for that next spot

that list is laughable... Kemba was flat out better than Dragic last year? Did you even watch the NBA last year?...lol.

Parker? Lowry? Irving? Westbrook who missed half the season and shot 43%?

Only PG that was hands down better last year was Curry.

Dragic was the only PG that shot 50% or better.

The only NBA player besides LBJ to average 20 & 6 and shoot 50%

Also shot 41% from 3.

Took a PHO team to 48 wins out West even though he had almost no help around him.

PowerHouse
02-21-2015, 02:57 PM
smh

Some of you would believe this.

Hopefully you guys are stuck with him.

..for a long time.

Dade County
02-21-2015, 03:08 PM

..for a long time.

Thunder Dan 2.0

c.c.
02-21-2015, 03:14 PM

..for a long time.

😂😂😂😂

PowerHouse
02-21-2015, 03:17 PM
Thunder Dan 2.0

Lol, I forgot that guy was on the Heat.

GoferKing_
02-21-2015, 03:24 PM
There will be a fight for Dragic?? 20mil or more for him?? Boy these teams are dumb as hell.xD

FraziersKnicks
02-21-2015, 03:28 PM
Is someone genuinely trying to argue Dragic was better than CP3 and Curry last season?

:laugh2:

PowerHouse
02-21-2015, 03:41 PM
Is someone genuinely trying to argue Dragic was better than CP3 and Curry last season?

:laugh2:

Someone is.

And I just dont get that argument anyway. Present and future matter a hell of a lot more than last year.

RLundi
02-21-2015, 03:46 PM
that list is laughable... Kemba was flat out better than Dragic last year? Did you even watch the NBA last year?...lol.

Parker? Lowry? Irving? Westbrook who missed half the season and shot 43%?

Only PG that was hands down better last year was Curry.

Dragic was the only PG that shot 50% or better.

The only NBA player besides LBJ to average 20 & 6 and shoot 50%

Also shot 41% from 3.

Took a PHO team to 48 wins out West even though he had almost no help around him.

I don't totally disagree that a CASE could be made that Dragic was possibly the best PG, but he wasn't, and tbh it wasn't even that close. Chris Paul, Steph Curry and Kyke Lowry were fairly better than Dragic.

But someone mentioned he was top 5; that I fully agree with. He and Lillard round out the top 5.

GiantsSwaGG
02-21-2015, 03:46 PM
There will be a fight for Dragic?? 20mil or more for him?? Boy these teams are dumb as hell.xD

Lol

Bruno
02-21-2015, 03:57 PM
i like Dragic a lot, but he's too old for a rebuilding effort. he'll be 29 by next years post-season.

go younger. maybe don't give 4/80 to a guy who will be 32 years old in the fourth year of the deal. ... maybe he's just young enough and his age will be fine. all depends on what player hell be by 32.

anyone know anything about his diet? guy like Howard and Lamar Odom, guys who ate candy like children during their pro careers- those guys break down by the early 30s.

nycericanguy
02-21-2015, 03:59 PM
I don't totally disagree that a CASE could be made that Dragic was possibly the best PG, but he wasn't, and tbh it wasn't even that close. Chris Paul, Steph Curry and Kyke Lowry were fairly better than Dragic.

But someone mentioned he was top 5; that I fully agree with. He and Lillard round out the top 5.

I kinda forgot about Curry, I always forget he's a PG and not a SG... Curry was def better... CP3 is debatable... Lowry I disagree.

Dragic was top 5 at WORST last year... previous poster that I quoted had like 20 guys ahead of him last year.

valade16
02-21-2015, 04:24 PM
I kinda forgot about Curry, I always forget he's a PG and not a SG... Curry was def better... CP3 is debatable... Lowry I disagree.

Dragic was top 5 at WORST last year... previous poster that I quoted had like 20 guys ahead of him last year.

Curry, Steph and Westy were all definitely better than him last season. I agree you could argue he was after them.

RLundi
02-21-2015, 04:29 PM

I think it's closer than the other 2 point guards but I'd still give Lowry the nod as a player working both sides of the ball.

VORP
Lowry: 5.7
Dragic: 4.0

WS/48
Lowry: .197
Dragic: .186

Box +/-
Lowry: 5.9
Dragic: 3.9

PER
Lowry: 20.1
Dragic: 21.4

TS
Lowry: .561
Dragic: .604

I think after looking at the numbers it was a bit closer than I remembered. Slight edge for me still goes to Lowry but I fully understand someone else taking Dragic. You mentioned in another post he carried that Suns team by himself to 48 wins. Idk if that's totally true, since Markieff Morris, Plumlee, Tucker and Gerald Green completely overachieved and had career years, and Bledsoe too for about half the season, but either way, Toronto at 48 wins had a lot more help and a much more complete team for Lowry. So I wouldn't be against saying Dragic was the third best PG.

RLundi
02-21-2015, 04:35 PM
Curry, Steph and Westy were all definitely better than him last season. I agree you could argue he was after them.

Westy only played like 45 games. Even then, it's still debatable. But I assume you meant CP3 and Steph, and I agree.

SF8
02-21-2015, 06:41 PM
i like Dragic a lot, but he's too old for a rebuilding effort. he'll be 29 by next years post-season.

go younger. maybe don't give 4/80 to a guy who will be 32 years old in the fourth year of the deal. ... maybe he's just young enough and his age will be fine. all depends on what player hell be by 32.

anyone know anything about his diet? guy like Howard and Lamar Odom, guys who ate candy like children during their pro careers- those guys break down by the early 30s.
Do you remember how old Steve Nash was when the Suns signed him to that big contract in 2004 while Suns were rebuilding?

jerellh528
02-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Do you remember how old Steve Nash was when the Suns signed him to that big contract in 2004 while Suns were rebuilding?

Dragic isnt Nash. Nash took legendary care of his body and workout regimens. Average players start decline around 30ish

Shady66
02-21-2015, 07:18 PM
Some of you guys are ridiculous. He played like a top 5 PG last year for sure. Nobody said he was the best. Jesus

GiantsSwaGG
02-21-2015, 07:53 PM

Dragic isn't nash plus Nash played in a system tailor made for him

BallIsAll
02-21-2015, 09:06 PM
He will probably go to the lakers this offseason. The heat didn't get assurance from him that he will sign a contract with them.

Tony_Starks
02-22-2015, 01:12 AM

And it doesn't start with dragic. He can stay in Miami.

Who do you see us securing as a PG? That has been the most glaring weakness for years...

PowerHouse
02-23-2015, 04:31 AM
Who do you see us securing as a PG? That has been the most glaring weakness for years...

Just ride it out with Clarkson (or whomever) until Lillard, Curry and Westbrook hit free agency.

RooBaller
02-23-2015, 04:53 AM
i wonder why he thinks that

sixer04fan
02-23-2015, 06:25 AM
This isn't really a "report." The thread title makes it sound like Dragic has openly said this, confirmed... Particularly after the Heat trade.

None of that has happened. "A person familiar with Dragic's thinking..." This is what we call a rumor.

_Supreme_
02-23-2015, 07:24 AM
^

Indeed.

The source of this "rumour" is some Los Angeles media outlet, the kind which should be discarded by default.

It is nothing more than the usual bs they concoct to hype the not-so-smart types into clicking on their stories and (hopefully) create website traffic.

Goose17
02-23-2015, 08:04 AM
Just ride it out with Clarkson (or whomever) until Lillard, Curry and Westbrook hit free agency.

LOL. Curry will go to Charlotte or stay put.

Westbrook is their best shot out of those three because he's a Los Angeles guy. If OKC are still failing to make the finals at that point he might jump ship for the cash and the opportunity to be "the man" and not have to share the spotlight with KD.

foonaka
02-23-2015, 11:05 AM
My guess is that, if Dragic actually said this, he said it before he was traded. Riley can be very convincing and, unless Dragic sees the Heat as "has-beens" or really just hates Miami after the season, I don't think he's going anywhere.

Tony_Starks
02-23-2015, 12:03 PM

I could see Westbrook, that's actually the perfect fit because he's Cali born and bred and as big a star as he is now he'd shoot through the roof.

My thing with Dragic though is if you get him now you're automatically competitive and can attract more talent. Then who's to say down the line if OKC looks like they're going to loose Russ anyway they won't swap him out for Dragic and whoever....

jerellh528
02-23-2015, 12:30 PM
I could see Westbrook, that's actually the perfect fit because he's Cali born and bred and as big a star as he is now he'd shoot through the roof.

My thing with Dragic though is if you get him now you're automatically competitive and can attract more talent. Then who's to say down the line if OKC looks like they're going to loose Russ anyway they won't swap him out for Dragic and whoever....

I think you're over rating him a bit lol

Tony_Starks
02-23-2015, 01:26 PM

I think you're over rating him a bit lol

Nah man. Dragic, Kobe, Randle, lotto pick, another FA and whoever you want to salvage from this season is competitive. They're still in every game now with a D league roster, imagine with actual talent....

Jamiecballer
02-23-2015, 01:34 PM
Nah man. Dragic, Kobe, Randle, lotto pick, another FA and whoever you want to salvage from this season is competitive. They're still in every game now with a D league roster, imagine with actual talent....

if the bolded was actually true than you are underestimating the players you already have. if it's not, you are overstating it like your average homer. i'm too lazy to figure out which.

Stinkyoutsider
02-23-2015, 01:38 PM
I know Dragic is making comments about still playing in LA but he just got to Miami. I think there's good talent at the club and the Heat will compete and be in the playoffs.

Sounds more like Dragic is looking to play at a big club? He can't possibly think that he has a better chance at making the playoffs and playing for a title next season with the Lakers and Knicks?

shep33
02-23-2015, 01:57 PM
Please no. $100 mill for this dude is such a waste of money.

IndyRealist
02-23-2015, 02:02 PM
Dragic isnt Nash. Nash took legendary care of his body and workout regimens. Average players start decline around 30ish

But there's also no real way to predict when that decline will be noticeable. Could be 30, could be 35.

Tony_Starks
02-23-2015, 04:45 PM

if the bolded was actually true than you are underestimating the players you already have. if it's not, you are overstating it like your average homer. i'm too lazy to figure out which.

Your statement let's me know you don't watch Laker games. As someone who actually does I will tell you there's no "if." They are literally in nearly every game and goof it off in the fourth quarter. Last night being a perfect example except Lin had his one lucky game of the month and they accidentally won in OT. You can look up how many large leads they've blown if you wish.

Stick to what you know bro.....

Jamiecballer
02-23-2015, 05:27 PM
Your statement let's me know you don't watch Laker games. As someone who actually does I will tell you there's no "if." They are literally in nearly every game and goof it off in the fourth quarter. Last night being a perfect example except Lin had his one lucky game of the month and they accidentally won in OT. You can look up how many large leads they've blown if you wish.

Then my statement that you understate the players was accurate. Or you misread.

Tony_Starks
02-23-2015, 05:35 PM

Then my statement that you understate the players was accurate. Or you misread.

I understand your statement perfectly. Only thing is I attribute their staying close in every game to coaching, not talent. Thus my original statement of with legit new talent and the best from the leftovers of this squad they would be competitive....

Goose17
02-23-2015, 05:39 PM

To be fair I don't think that's accurate. I mean most start to decline at 30ish but it's a VERY slow decline. It's 32 onward where the decline tends to show more, it hits them hard then.

sep11ie
02-23-2015, 05:45 PM
Dragic doesn't have the NBA wear and tear of most 30 year PGs. I think with his style he can still be a great player through his next contract.

J_M_B
02-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Dragic doesn't have the NBA wear and tear of most 30 year PGs. I think with his style he can still be a great player through his next contract.

Yup. He's played, for example 6,000+ less minutes than Westbrook. Same draft class

Jamiecballer
02-23-2015, 07:48 PM
I understand your statement perfectly. Only thing is I attribute their staying close in every game to coaching, not talent. Thus my original statement of with legit new talent and the best from the leftovers of this squad they would be competitive....
I haven't heard anybody praise Scott as a coach in, like, ever. You like him for your team?

Tony_Starks
02-23-2015, 07:56 PM
I haven't heard anybody praise Scott as a coach in, like, ever. You like him for your team?

Well he is a former COY with two Finals trips under his belt so "ever" is quite a exaggeration. Been getting a lot of praise this year, most recently as last week by Magic who is notoriously hard on both Laker players and coaches. Most fans I talk to are pleased by what they see from him given the circumstances.

I'll put it like this I would've preferred Karl or JVG, but Byron is by far the best coach we've had since Phil left. At least he holds the players accountable when they don't give effort and let's it be known specifically why they can't get minutes. This is basically a season long summer league for him, all things considered he's done a helluva job.....

Goose17
02-23-2015, 07:58 PM
JVG with that Lakers squad :laugh2: he would have a stroke.

Jamiecballer
02-23-2015, 08:11 PM
Well he is a former COY with two Finals trips under his belt so "ever" is quite a exaggeration. Been getting a lot of praise this year, most recently as last week by Magic who is notoriously hard on both Laker players and coaches. Most fans I talk to are pleased by what they see from him given the circumstances.

I'll put it like this I would've preferred Karl or JVG, but Byron is by far the best coach we've had since Phil left. At least he holds the players accountable when they don't give effort and let's it be known specifically why they can't get minutes. This is basically a season long summer league for him, all things considered he's done a helluva job.....
Sorry, I meant to say forever. Seems like he's gotten a bad rep since those days.

Tony_Starks
02-23-2015, 08:20 PM

Sorry, I meant to say forever. Seems like he's gotten a bad rep since those days.

True DAT. Cleveland during the Apocalypse didn't help!

LA_Raiders
02-23-2015, 10:24 PM
He is a hell of a PG, but not for 20m. I rather go for rondo file half that.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-24-2015, 10:58 AM
I don't understand why he would want to sign with the Lakers. We suck. He wants to dominate the ball but if Kobe comes back next year he won't see it. Even when Kobe admits he's a declining, he thinks he will just become a passer and still dominate a game. He can't just lay in the weeds and wait for something to come to him. He has to be the initiator of everything.

I don't think this report is true but if it is, Dragic is a selfish "me"player. He left a good team and picked three destinations of crap teams. The Lakers, Knicks, and Heat are a combined 60+ someodd games under .500. Instead of battling for a playoff spot he wanted to go somewhere where he could be the main guy. I know of a certain player who would have been killed for this. Matter of fact, pretty much every player would be killed for this except this guy it seems.