PDA

View Full Version : Kobe quitting basketball after next season!

IKnowHoops
02-21-2015, 02:15 AM
How do you feel about this? I feel he's got a few good seasons left as a facilitator.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kobe-bryant-confirms-hes-quitting-774541

goingfor28
02-21-2015, 02:20 AM
Not surprised. He's old and washed up. Hope for him he's just able to stay healthy all year.

FlashBolt
02-21-2015, 02:46 AM
It's going to suck to realize Kobe is gone. Without any doubt, him and Bron are genuinely the only two players who will have that "it" factor about them when we look back at this generation.

More-Than-Most
02-21-2015, 03:16 AM
Yea he has been crap and its a shame he isn't gonna hang them up now because it could help the lakers out a ton if he did but that isn't his fault... nobody forced the owner to give him the worst contract in basketball. That being said it will be a sad day when he does retire... love or hate him he is fun to watch... He is like the brett favre of basketball. Top 15 player all time but wont come close to Jordan and will finish behind James as well when its all said and done.

ink
02-21-2015, 03:37 AM
The game will be better for it. End of a bad era of me-ball. Now, back to basketball.

jerellh528
02-21-2015, 03:52 AM
The game will be better for it. End of a bad era of me-ball. Now, back to basketball.

That was probably one of the top eras for fans and basketball of all time. Call it what you want but the mid 90s-2010 was a fantastic era. If anything the current era kind of sucks imo.

tredigs
02-21-2015, 03:56 AM
No offense, but who cares? Kobe is irrelevant to modern basketball.

A great run, but this is a cutthroat world. And he is a nobody in this current game. That's a fact.

FlashBolt
02-21-2015, 04:04 AM

A great run, but this is a cutthroat world. And he is a nobody in this current game. That's a fact.

Well, NBA will still go on but to say Kobe is irrelevant? That's complete nonsense. He has arguably the largest NBA fanbase both in and out of the United States. I get that his "game" is rather useless now but his presence in the game would be missed for sure.

Phantom Dreamer
02-21-2015, 04:06 AM

A great run, but this is a cutthroat world. And he is a nobody in this current game. That's a fact.That's an opinion.

jerellh528
02-21-2015, 04:15 AM
Irrelevant? Nah. He's #1 on NBA pulse like 90% of the year lol. Go to NBA.com right now and I bet kobe is number 1. He's still the pinnacle of superstardom in the NBA, even though his game isn't close to what it was.

tredigs
02-21-2015, 04:17 AM
I could care less about jersey sales or bobble heads kids. As a player in the NBA, Kobe Bryant is irrelevant. I'm a gambler, he means nothing to me.

jerellh528
02-21-2015, 04:19 AM
I could care less about jersey sales or bobble heads kids. As a player in the NBA, Kobe Bryant is irrelevant. I'm a gambler, he means nothing to me.

You're in the small minority of who watched the NBA then.

tredigs
02-21-2015, 04:21 AM
You're in the small minority of who watched the NBA then.

That's a fact.

FlashBolt
02-21-2015, 04:22 AM

That makes absolutely zero sense. I hope you understand the difference... It's one thing to criticize his game but it's another when you disregard the emotional impact he has on the game.

Tony_Starks
02-21-2015, 04:23 AM

.....says the man who felt it necessary to comment about a player who is currently injured for the season.

Oh the irony.....

IBleedPurple
02-21-2015, 04:28 AM
I could care less about jersey sales or bobble heads kids. As a player in the NBA, Kobe Bryant is irrelevant. I'm a gambler, he means nothing to me.Obviously you also don't care about the game, its great players, the history of basketball, or entertainment...so you treat the NBA as a business, yet take time to comment on such a topic instead of focusing on your business...

I hate Kobe, but I have a great deal of respect for his greatness. But he's just a great player at the sunset of his career, so it means nothing to you? My contradiction senses are tingling.

tredigs
02-21-2015, 04:29 AM
That makes absolutely zero sense. I hope you understand the difference... It's one thing to criticize his game but it's another when you disregard the emotional impact he has on the game.

The emotional impact? Can you elaborate? I'm saying that he's irrelevant as both an impact player and from a gambling perspective; feel free to try to prove me wrong.

FlashBolt
02-21-2015, 04:30 AM
Obviously you also don't care about the game, its great players, the history of basketball, or entertainment...so you treat the NBA as a business, yet take time to comment on such a topic instead of focusing on your business...

I hate Kobe, but I have a great deal of respect for his greatness. But he's just a great player at the sunset of his career, so it means nothing to you? My contradiction senses are tingling.

Yeah, I find it odd how he treats NBA as a business rather than as a fan but comes onto PSD to voice his opinions on other players as if it pertains to his gambling addiction.

tredigs
02-21-2015, 04:31 AM
I also cannot stand the fact the Kobe is seen by many in the same light as MJ, I'll say that as well. He is SO FAR from that greatness that it actually cracks me up that people have been brainwashed otherwise, but such is life in the 21st century.

FlashBolt
02-21-2015, 04:32 AM
The emotional impact? Can you elaborate? I'm saying that he's irrelevant as both an impact player and from a gambling perspective; feel free to try to prove me wrong.

It's not that you're wrong in that sense but it's the fact that you ignore his presence in the NBA. It's like MJ. Yes, MJ is irrelevant as an impact player/gambling perspective currently. But do you not understand the presence he had in the game? No one is denying that Kobe sucked for these past years..

FlashBolt
02-21-2015, 04:37 AM
I also cannot stand the fact the Kobe is seen by many in the same light as MJ, I'll say that as well. He is SO FAR from that greatness that it actually cracks me up that people have been brainwashed otherwise, but such is life in the 21st century.

Who the hell is comparing him to MJ? This is about Kobe retiring after next season and the impact he'll have in the NBA. Players in the future and currently grew up watching Kobe... They know Kobe more than they know MJ. It's the 21st century. No one has time to dig up MJ videos because they aren't 50 year old's on PSD posting about their gambling addiction. It's not that they are brainwashed at all. You judge things by how you see them and when you've been watching Kobe for 13 years, that's how it works. To say that Kobe won't have an impact is pretty disrespectful.

tredigs
02-21-2015, 04:37 AM
It's not that you're wrong in that sense but it's the fact that you ignore his presence in the NBA. It's like MJ. Yes, MJ is irrelevant as an impact player/gambling perspective currently. But do you not understand the presence he had in the game? No one is denying that Kobe sucked for these past years..

Lmfao -- MJ won the ship his last 3 years and averaged 67 win seasons. We're not talking about the same people.

FlashBolt
02-21-2015, 04:41 AM
Lmfao -- MJ won the ship his last 3 years and averaged 67 win seasons. We're not talking about the same people.

So in the Wizards, you're telling me MJ had a impact on the game? People didn't care if they lost. They cared about MJ playing still because he's MJ. That's what we call reputation. Kobe has a reputation instilled in the NBA and quite frankly, him retiring will be a hit on the NBA. I never compared them on the level of basketball greatness. In China, Kobe is a bigger name than MJ. He has an impact on the NBA.

tredigs
02-21-2015, 04:46 AM
So in the Wizards, you're telling me MJ had a impact on the game? People didn't care if they lost. They cared about MJ playing still because he's MJ. That's what we call reputation. Kobe has a reputation instilled in the NBA and quite frankly, him retiring will be a hit on the NBA. I never compared them on the level of basketball greatness. In China, Kobe is a bigger name than MJ. He has an impact on the NBA.

That wasn't MJ my friend. Not even close. That was an executive trying to make money. Very similar to current Kobe.

Pakman
02-21-2015, 05:11 AM
Kobe always had the greatest haters. It's shining bright in this thread.

ichitownclowni
02-21-2015, 05:51 AM
Kobe always had the greatest haters. It's shining bright in this thread.
Lmfao very fitting

Bruno
02-21-2015, 06:29 AM
digs and ink coming off way salty. you both exaggerate.

lakerfan85
02-21-2015, 07:37 AM

There's no me-ball players playing in today's game? You must not watch often..

PurpleLynch
02-21-2015, 07:52 AM
Ink and Tredigs are probably ranked first and second in the Kia Road to the MVKT(aka "most valuable Kobe's trasher).
Seriously guys,I understand that one of you has a crippling addiction to gamble and he talks(and thinks) like a russian mafia mob,while the other one just thinks that Kobe's farewell will put an end to this dark age of basketball based on ballhoggin', but you exposed yourselves as plain biased fans anyway.

Back on topic,I'm sad. It will be hard watching the Nba without him,I literally grew up watching him. Just hope he will fight as a facilitator next year and give a nice victory lap to a magnificent career. Thanks Kobe.

LakersIn5
02-21-2015, 08:21 AM

Yup kobe is a nobody and yet he is probably worth more than the entire hawks rosters in terms of revenue he generates. And that is part of the game. The nba is not just a sport but also a business.

KnickNyKnick
02-21-2015, 08:52 AM
if he wants to maximize his wealth, after next season go play a few years in china. and BOOM! market explosion! anyone know Kobes # i'll represent him.

hidalgo
02-21-2015, 10:21 AM
good, i can't wait until he's gone. biggest most overrated d-bag in nba history

FraziersKnicks
02-21-2015, 10:40 AM
I'll be glad when he retires because I'm clearly not a fan of his. Doesn't mean I don't respect the guy and think the league will miss him.

A great player who's legacy is emphasized by his longevity. Top 10 all-time.

RLundi
02-21-2015, 10:45 AM
Sickening responses in this thread. I'm not the biggest fan of Kobe, I admit, but to dismiss his greatness and impact on this league is totally ignorant, short-sighted and despicably shameful. Simply put, he's a living legend, hands down and no questions asked. Who cares if he isn't in the same vein as MJ? When he retires he will undoubtedly be a top 10 player in NBA history. How does that amount to irrelevancy? He will continue to be a mainstay in NBA discussions for as long as basketball is played. When people mention Larry and Magic, Kareem and Big O, Jordan, Pippen, Shaq and Olajuwon, Kobe Bryant too will unquestionably be added to that list of all-time revered players and respected achievers.

Far be it from me to accuse anyone of being a hater, but as a fan, to witness the twilight of Kobe's playing days and not become innately nostalgic of his dogged determination, fierce competitive spirit and phenomenal athleticism is disappointing. What's more, refusing to accept and appreciate his revolutionary and legendary status as a player is just stupid. When Kobe finally hangs it up, it'll be a solemn and grievous time for NBA fans the world over, but we can appreciate that we got to witness with our own eyes one of the most transcendent players of this great game's history.

And if anyone doesn't see that, well then I'm very sorry you stared at greatness for the better part of two decades but couldn't realize and acknowledge just how lucky you were.

Corey
02-21-2015, 10:55 AM

He really isn't, and I dont know how you can feel confident in yourself saying that.

He was on a piss-poor Lakers team and was expected to carry the load completely. That's not what his role should have been at the end of his career.

I actually still think he can contribute on a lot of teams.

Corey
02-21-2015, 10:56 AM

No, HE didnt. His TEAM did.

Calm down on that argument.

5ass
02-21-2015, 10:59 AM
Kobe! I love you long time!

curtcocaine
02-21-2015, 11:18 AM
Really gonna miss him. I recall gro2ing up and everyone had on the number 8 jersey. Kinda mad at the nuss family. Why sign him to that massive contract he was expecting. I wanted to see 1 last run

More-Than-Most
02-21-2015, 04:20 PM
He really isn't, and I dont know how you can feel confident in yourself saying that.

He was on a piss-poor Lakers team and was expected to carry the load completely. That's not what his role should have been at the end of his career.

I think youre wrong by alot.... If he had a different mentality and just going from a skill set then yes but he would never be able to take a back seat to anyone and would handicap his new team coming in and that is why he cant contribute to another team... He is no James who likes to get others involved... He wants to take the shot. He would be the worst player to contribute to other teams.

sens#11fan
02-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Smh, instead of people appreciating what hes done for the league some of you are just looking to find points to bash him. I guess its true, you truly never get to appreciate someone until their gone.

sturm
02-21-2015, 05:01 PM
His talent level was enormous. Maybe goat in this category. But talent cant buy respect alone. For me was not so. I will not miss him. He is too much self centered cocky bastard. Sorry Kobe fans! He had luck to have Zen master by him.

GiantsSwaGG
02-21-2015, 05:31 PM

no he can't

FlashBolt
02-21-2015, 05:44 PM
You guys are inclined to think that a 36 year old should be able to play elite defense at the wing position, all while being able to carry a team in the most competitive conference of all time... Are you guys serious? Melo couldn't even do it and yet, you expect a player to be on his dwindling years to be able to? Kobe paired up with another elite player would draw attention away from him and at that point, he's an easy 20-5-5 player... Clearly it's not possible for him to do so in his current situation. To say he's not of any help to a single team? LMAO. You guys are delusional. I bet if his name was MJ, you'd all be saying otherwise.

DaLakerz Rulz
02-21-2015, 06:13 PM
To say he's not of any help to a single team? LMAO. You guys are delusional.

I thought he was actually getting the hang of playing a different style towards the end. He can definitely contribute on a few teams (anyone saying otherwise is really just trolling in typical NBA forum fashion when it comes to Kobe). Obviously his contribution would have to be more as a role player/veteran with experience. Whether Kobe actually would want to do that is the real issue.

FlashBolt
02-21-2015, 06:20 PM
I thought he was actually getting the hang of playing a different style towards the end. He can definitely contribute on a few teams (anyone saying otherwise is really just trolling in typical NBA forum fashion when it comes to Kobe). Obviously his contribution would have to be more as a role player/veteran with experience. Whether Kobe actually would want to do that is the real issue.

Kobe can easily be a 20-5-5 player on a team that has something to work with.. Jamal fricking Crawford can score 17 points off the bench. Anyone who says Kobe can't is clearly not healthy.

More-Than-Most
02-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Kobe can easily be a 20-5-5 player on a team that has something to work with.. Jamal fricking Crawford can score 17 points off the bench. Anyone who says Kobe can't is clearly not healthy.

I say he cant... Can he score sure... But he has the biggest ego in sports and wont go and make any contender better because of his Me Ball Attitude.

tredigs
02-21-2015, 06:39 PM
Kobe ranked 56th this season in RPM among SHOOTING GUARDS and had a WS/48 of .006. The fact that some of you guys are brainwashed into thinking he's still a piece you want outside of ticket sales astounds me. These current Lakers, the Knicks, Philly? OK. But those are barely professional basketball teams. His lack of D, lack of a 3pt shot (despite chucking 5+ a game), inability to finish at a high rate in the paint and ultra high TO rate wash out any positives he still brings.

Kobe has been jocked and lauded his entire career, I'm not one of those who feels it necessary to keep that going in the face of all facts. He's done. He should have already retired (DEFINITELY don't blame him for taking that $ though).

DaLakerz Rulz
02-21-2015, 06:40 PM
I say he cant... Can he score sure... But he has the biggest ego in sports and wont go and make any contender better because of his Me Ball Attitude.

Did you mean NBA or really all of sports...thats a bit of a stretch I think. All a matter of opinion of course.

numba1CHANGsta
02-21-2015, 07:38 PM
Say what you will, Kobe played in the greatest era of basketball 90's/00's, I don't need to explain why it was the greatest era, if you're a true basketball fan you'll already know why. You gotta respect a player who played and competed against some of the greatest players of all time including some great elite teams. There aren't any players drafted in the 2000's who is a clear cut HOF other than LeBron and it's that reason why he and his team has dominated the NBA for the past 5 years

tredigs
02-21-2015, 07:44 PM
Say what you will, Kobe played in the greatest era of basketball 90's/00's, I don't need to explain why it was the greatest era, if you're a true basketball fan you'll already know why. You gotta respect a player who played and competed against some of the greatest players of all time including some great elite teams. There aren't any players drafted in the 2000's who is a clear cut HOF other than LeBron and it's that reason why he and his team has dominated the NBA for the past 5 years
The irony of this is hilarious. Playing alongside a clear cut HOFer drafted his same year is one of the key reasons why he had so much success.

And... are you kidding me? I could name over a dozen players drafted from 2000+ that are 100% going to be future HOFers.

Beyond that, most NBA gurus would argue the late 80's as the greatest era of basketball. Showtime Lakers, Bad Boy Pistons, Bird's Celtics, Jordan's Bulls, etc.

IKnowHoops
02-21-2015, 07:55 PM

I honestly don't believe this. Crawford still has his legs and doesn't get injured because he doesn't have the wear and tear. Any player can get 20pts on 35% fg shooting. I don't think Kobe can average 20 pts at a field goal % that would help a team. If he's getting 20 pts, it will be to the detriment of the team at this point. I have no reason to believe otherwise based off of what I have seen this year.

Now I do believe he can get 10/10 and help a team in that regard. The Cleveland game and a few others showed me he is a great facilitator when he concentrates on doing that. I would only want him shooting when he is wide open from the 3 or if he gets an open lane within the offense from good ball rotation.

His forced shots are beyond painful to watch now.

FlashBolt
02-21-2015, 07:57 PM
I honestly don't believe this. Crawford still has his legs and doesn't get injured because he doesn't have the wear and tear. Any player can get 20pts on 35% fg shooting. I don't think Kobe can average 20 pts at a field goal % that would help a team. If he's getting 20 pts, it will be to the detriment of the team at this point. I have no reason to believe otherwise based off of what I have seen this year.

Now I do believe he can get 10/10 and help a team in that regard. The Cleveland game and a few others showed me he is a great facilitator when he concentrates on doing that. I would only want him shooting when he is wide open from the 3 or if he gets an open lane within the offense from good ball rotation.

His forced shots are beyond painful to watch now.

Lmao at he can get 10/10... You're essentially saying Crawford is better than Kobe. Are you being serious?

IKnowHoops
02-21-2015, 07:58 PM

WADE, CP3, Durant are clear cut hall of famers

IKnowHoops
02-21-2015, 08:03 PM
Lmao at he can get 10/10... You're essentially saying Crawford is better than Kobe. Are you being serious?

As tre pointed out .006 winshares for Kobe...he's a shell bro...age has caught up with him. Stop living in the past. What do the stats say about who is better this year between crawford and Kobe? Do you think if Crawford shot the ball as much as Kobe, he would have less points on a worse %?

FlashBolt
02-21-2015, 08:08 PM
As tre pointed out .006 winshares for Kobe...he's a shell bro...age has caught up with him. Stop living in the past. What do the stats say about who is better this year between crawford and Kobe? Do you think if Crawford shot the ball as much as Kobe, he would have less points on a worse %?

No **** his WS is low... have you seen his team? Lmao. Quit using WS when you can't even distinguish the difference between having a team or not having one. You can't win when your team is a circus act and you're 36 being forced to carry them. Can you name their starting five for me? Thanks.

FlashBolt
02-21-2015, 08:09 PM

Does Kobe play with DeAndre, Blake Griffin, and Chris Paul? J.J. Reddick would be the second best player in the Lakers... Do you understand the stuff coming out of your keyboard?

JustinTime
02-21-2015, 08:10 PM
Yup and then he's going to play baseball for a year and return.

tredigs
02-21-2015, 08:12 PM
No **** his WS is low... have you seen his team? Lmao. Quit using WS when you can't even distinguish the difference between having a team or not having one. You can't win when your team is a circus act and you're 36 being forced to carry them. Can you name their starting five for me? Thanks.

The ol' "WinShares = Team" argument. Can you explain to me then why the highest WS/48 of his career (.224... which for reference would rank 7th this season) was on a team starting Chris Mihm, Kwame and Smush Parker? Or why AD is #2 in WS/48 behind Curry this season?

He sucks, dude. You have to realize this.

IKnowHoops
02-21-2015, 08:13 PM

Stop here.

IKnowHoops
02-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Does Kobe play with DeAndre, Blake Griffin, and Chris Paul? J.J. Reddick would be the second best player in the Lakers... Do you understand the stuff coming out of your keyboard?

Yes

IKnowHoops
02-21-2015, 08:21 PM

The ol' "WinShares = Team" argument. Can you explain to me then why the highest WS/48 of his career (.224... which for reference would rank 7th this season) was on a team starting Chris Mihm, Kwame and Smush Parker? Or why AD is #2 in WS/48 behind Curry this season?

Or better yet, explain why his win share/48 is so much lower than Jeremy Lin, Swaggy P, or Jordan Hill, or basically anyone else on his team, that all have to play with the same teammates he does?

tredigs
02-21-2015, 08:26 PM
Or better yet, explain why his win share/48 is so much lower than Jeremy Lin, Swaggy P, or Jordan Hill, or basically anyone else on his team, that all have to play with the same teammates he does?

That was actually going to be my original point. Thanks for mentioning that too. WS/48 isn't some end all stat, but when his #'s are THAT terrible and are accompanied by all the other #'s that say he's washed up... what other conclusion is there? Also... did people not watch him out there? It was mind blowing how separate his actual ability was from what he was trying to portray. And that's just on O. On D he was arguably the worst wing defender in the game.

numba1CHANGsta
02-21-2015, 08:31 PM
WADE, CP3, Durant are clear cut hall of famers

possibly but not clear cut

Tony_Starks
02-21-2015, 08:43 PM
I wonder will the Kobe hate retire with him? Wait....( thinks about the hate Iverson still gets) never mind.

More-Than-Most
02-21-2015, 09:06 PM
I wonder will the Kobe hate retire with him? Wait....( thinks about the hate Iverson still gets) never mind.

You just mentioned another extremely overrated player as well. Iverson is not and was never as good as some people made him out to be.

FlashBolt
02-21-2015, 09:11 PM

LMAO. That was PRIME Kobe. This isn't PRIME Kobe. Give him a team where he doesn't have to be triple teamed day in and day out. Give him a team where he doesn't have to be their primary ballhandler. Give him a team where they have a defender who can get in and shut someone down. Give him someone who has post presence. Give him someone who can shoot threes. Nick Young? Jeremy Lin? These are players NO ONE wants on their team. For Christ's sake. Your winshare argument holds no water when you look at how pathetic this team is with or without Kobe. Since you love win shares so much, was Patty Mills the 20th best player in the NBA last season? This isn't about whether or not Kobe THIS season with THESE numbers can translate into a winning team. Of course this guy can't carry a team anymore. Wtf do you expect him to do with that team in THIS conference? He is certainly more than capable of being a 3rd option on a team. Whether or not he wants to do that, none of us have the answer. They were trying to get CP3 but we never saw that because the NBA wanted to hoard in a higher price for the Pelicans.

Tony_Starks
02-21-2015, 09:11 PM

You just mentioned another extremely overrated player as well. Iverson is not and was never as good as some people made him out to be.

Right......

2-ONE-5
02-21-2015, 09:21 PM
saying he is 'quitting' instead of retiring seems like a troll move in the OP right

LakersIn5
02-22-2015, 12:15 AM
Yup because your opinion has more weight than the opinions of his fellow players and hall of famers.

tredigs
02-22-2015, 12:28 AM
LMAO. That was PRIME Kobe. This isn't PRIME Kobe. Give him a team where he doesn't have to be triple teamed day in and day out. Give him a team where he doesn't have to be their primary ballhandler. Give him a team where they have a defender who can get in and shut someone down. Give him someone who has post presence. Give him someone who can shoot threes. Nick Young? Jeremy Lin? These are players NO ONE wants on their team. For Christ's sake. Your winshare argument holds no water when you look at how pathetic this team is with or without Kobe. Since you love win shares so much, was Patty Mills the 20th best player in the NBA last season? This isn't about whether or not Kobe THIS season with THESE numbers can translate into a winning team. Of course this guy can't carry a team anymore. Wtf do you expect him to do with that team in THIS conference? He is certainly more than capable of being a 3rd option on a team. Whether or not he wants to do that, none of us have the answer. They were trying to get CP3 but we never saw that because the NBA wanted to hoard in a higher price for the Pelicans.
NO **** - and this is SHELL Kobe. What don't you get here? What team wants a high usage player who's terrible at 3's, has very little lateral quickness or force to penetrate and finish at a high level, is super turnover prone, and is the worst defender on the court? Kobe's not going to just accept being some 3rd option bud, I hope you can at least realize that much. And even if he did, there's countless 3 and D guys better fit for the role than him.

This is sad.

IKnowHoops
02-22-2015, 02:00 AM
possibly but not clear cut

Huh? You crazy man. Put there best against anyone in history and they are all top 3 ever at there position. CLEAR CUT!!!!

Tony_Starks
02-22-2015, 02:24 AM
NO **** - and this is SHELL Kobe. What don't you get here? What team wants a high usage player who's terrible at 3's, has very little lateral quickness or force to penetrate and finish at a high level, is super turnover prone, and is the worst defender on the court? Kobe's not going to just accept being some 3rd option bud, I hope you can at least realize that much. And even if he did, there's countless 3 and D guys better fit for the role than him.

This is sad.

5 pages of you ranting about a player you claim is irrelevant. At this point wouldn't it just be easier for you to get a Kobe doll and stick pins in it to spare us of your unadulterated lifelong hate?

IKnowHoops
02-22-2015, 03:11 AM

I think your missing the point. When Kobe was in his prime, he had great teammates, and he had horrible teammates. When he had horrible teammates, he had his best Win share/48.

This tells you that he's at his best when he has bad teammates. This speaks to his style of play. If his win share didn't increase when he had great players around him in his prime, why would it increase now that he's sorry. No matter who he has on his team, he's still going to force bad shots over and over again. When he had bad teammates he was probably able to get into more of a rhythm because he could take more contested fadeaways and get more hot streaks going. But Prime or not, again the point was he was at his best with crap teammates even though his prime consisted of good and bad teammates.

IKnowHoops
02-22-2015, 03:15 AM
saying he is 'quitting' instead of retiring seems like a troll move in the OP right

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kobe-bryant-confirms-hes-quitting-774541

Took it right from the title of the article bro. Stop being sensitive. LOL

FlashBolt
02-22-2015, 04:35 AM
I think your missing the point. When Kobe was in his prime, he had great teammates, and he had horrible teammates. When he had horrible teammates, he had his best Win share/48.

This tells you that he's at his best when he has bad teammates. This speaks to his style of play. If his win share didn't increase when he had great players around him in his prime, why would it increase now that he's sorry. No matter who he has on his team, he's still going to force bad shots over and over again. When he had bad teammates he was probably able to get into more of a rhythm because he could take more contested fadeaways and get more hot streaks going. But Prime or not, again the point was he was at his best with crap teammates even though his prime consisted of good and bad teammates.

Jeremy Lin has a higher WS48 than Kobe. Please don't tell me Jeremy is better than Kobe. You guys can't seem to acknowledge that Kobe has a joke of a roster. The worst part is that this roster is going against the toughest conference in NBA history. Tell me where I said Kobe can carry a team or is an elite player? To say he's not SERVICEABLE to any team based on what? He has a team that is 2-19 WITHOUT him. Name me his starting five, please. The Lakers second best scorer is someone by the name of Nick Young. He shoots 36% from the field. That's their SECOND highest scoring player on the team. Their best player currently is Jordan Hill. Get that in your head. This guy has no team. I get that his advanced stats and per game numbers are just bad but you have to consider that I never said he was going to dominate. I'm saying under the right circumstance, him being a third or even second option, would make his game much easier. I don't want to hear it about that ballhogging nonsense because he won two rings with Pau Gasol/Odom/Bynum. He has an ego issue but this is not the issue here. His team blows and you know it. To judge his future based on his performance with this crappy team? He's playing 35 MPG as a 36 year old SG who is coming off serious injuries. The fact he's playing 35 MPG shows you that this team has to rely on him. With that being said, he's still the Lakers best player. He gives them the best chance at winning. Clearly, you guys can't get past the fact that his team sucks but when it's LeBron, I bet you'll dig through his elementary school teammates just to find one of his teammates who sucked.

FlashBolt
02-22-2015, 04:42 AM
Do you guys not see how silly judging a player based off PURE statistics is completely silly? You use it as one of your argumentative point's but to base it SOLELY on that? You guys do understand that I can find 100000000000 examples of why it can backfire on you, right? Take for example, LeBron James. He's posting his second lowest WS48. Are you telling me that LeBron in his second season was better than LeBron today? So if you're going to judge Kobe about his WS48, understand that you have to consider the implementing factors going into that. LeBron James is a great player and his WS48 does him no justice. Kobe right now is a GOOD player stuck in a bad team while having the expectation to be their first option and the player who can counter KD, James, or Harden. Let's keep looking at WS48, though. Tyler Zeller must be the 15th best player in the NBA.

FlashBolt
02-22-2015, 05:08 AM

This is sad.

You aren't stupid. You can comprehend. Kobe has bad team. Bad team no good. I said Kobe is not a first option player and can't be expected to be one. You say Kobe can't play anymore. I say Kobe can be a serviceable player on a team that doesn't require him to carry such a workload. Kobe's not going to accept being a third option? Well, how do you know? Has he ever been in a situation at this age and having a team this bad? Instantly the worst team he's ever had. I'm not buying that Kobe can't coexist with other players. Pau worked. Odom worked. All-Star games worked. USA Olympics worked. The only players who truly never liked playing with Kobe were the sensitive, emotional, and lazy crybabies. Look at Dwight for an example.. or Shaq, who was singled out by many for his work ethic. What don't you get here? You give a chef ten horrible line cooks and expect a Michelin star restaurant? Yeah...

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-22-2015, 10:03 AM
Its too bad injuries ruined the end for him. He was still a great player in 12/13 before the achilles blew out. But i don't think he needed his 19th and 20th years to be great to remember him as a great player. I'm not that dumb and shortsighted.....

R. Johnson#3
02-22-2015, 10:12 AM
Great, it's gonna be Derek Jeter 2014 all over again.

Tony_Starks
02-22-2015, 12:56 PM
Its too bad injuries ruined the end for him. He was still a great player in 12/13 before the achilles blew out. But i don't think he needed his 19th and 20th years to be great to remember him as a great player. I'm not that dumb and shortsighted.....

True that. Cool part about it is he got his rings up before the decline. No matter what happens he has nothing left to prove accomplishment wise. He's set. Imagine if he only had like 2 rings? He'd be in a entirely different category as far as legacy.

Jayb587
02-22-2015, 01:21 PM
where exactly does he say he is retiring?

Supreme LA
02-22-2015, 02:44 PM
I really didn't catch the part where Kobe said he was retiring either.

Anyways, this is really the point in Kobe's career that all his haters will do what they can to hate on the man. It's must easier to kick a guy when he is down and declined. It really doesn't bother me what all of these people have to say about the man. So what? He's going to be 37 with almost 20 years in the league. Does it really define who is by the fact that he can't carry a team anymore at this stage? I really don't see how that's an insult to the man. I can't think of anybody with Kobe's longevity and age that can carry a team.

Supreme LA
02-22-2015, 02:45 PM

So Kobe is extremely overrated now? By whose standards? Lol okay man.

IKnowHoops
02-22-2015, 02:47 PM
True that. Cool part about it is he got his rings up before the decline. No matter what happens he has nothing left to prove accomplishment wise. He's set. Imagine if he only had like 2 rings? He'd be in a entirely different category as far as legacy.

Not for me. If he never played with Shaq for 3 rings in a row, I'd think no less of him. Of course your gonna get rings with Shaq and Phil. His skills still would of been the same with or without that 3 peat where he was second fiddle to Shaq and early on non existent to Shaq.

Zefflin
02-22-2015, 06:01 PM
Kobe just said this rumor is untrue.

jerellh528
02-22-2015, 06:20 PM
In this interview with Grantlandís Bill Simmons and Jalen Rose, Bryant refutes reports that have surfaced about the veteran shooting guard retiring next season:

ďNo, itís not true. Itís not true.Ē

Despite the three consecutive season-ending injuries heís suffered, Bryant is as adamant as ever about continuing to battle through these injuries. Kobe is under contract for one more season and seems to be planning on playing regardless of the state of the Lakers franchise.

The real question is whether heíll retire after his 20th NBA season. Thereís a chance that the Lakers are able to do enough this summer and the next to build this team back into a contender. If that turns out to be the case, Bryant might decide to play beyond his current contract if able to stay healthy.

C-Wick925
02-22-2015, 06:44 PM
Thank god, Finally

Jamiecballer
02-22-2015, 06:49 PM

+1

and this as well. unless you are a Kobe fan you haven't cared what he's been doing for several years.

FraziersKnicks
02-22-2015, 06:53 PM
I just don't ever see him wanting to be a bit part player. His ego is far to big for that. The Lakers are never ever gonna be a contending team with him as a big part of the team. It's that simple. If he wants to contend he's gonna have to have a massively reduced role and pray to god the Lakers can swing a miracle this off season. Seems highly unlikely because of his mammoth contract and how tough the Western conference is. Even if they can sign 1-2 big time free agents, they don't have the necessary pieces to put together a contender and it still usually takes at least half a season for a team with new faces to gel (see: Cleveland Cavaliers 2014-15)

Looks like he's just gonna be chucking on a bottom feeder again next season.

KnicksorBust
02-22-2015, 07:19 PM
Would love to see him play SG for the vet min on a team like the Hawks but will never happen.

Tony_Starks
02-22-2015, 08:16 PM

+1

and this as well. unless you are a Kobe fan you haven't cared what he's been doing for several years.

Yeah, um....unfortunately the majority of the modern world disagrees with you.

lakerboy
02-22-2015, 08:31 PM
We're talking about a guy who went to the championship 7 times in the past 15 year. Ya'll telling me him quitting is irrelevant. The NBA wouldn't be the same (especially business-wise) if Kobe wasn't in this league.

I'm the biggest Lebron hater ever but him and Kobe and Duncan are this generation's greatests. Kobe leaving the NBA will be a sad day for sports, but will mark a new era.

IKnowHoops
02-22-2015, 08:36 PM

We're talking about a guy who went to the championship 7 times in the past 15 year. Ya'll telling me him quitting is irrelevant. The NBA wouldn't be the same (especially business-wise) if Kobe wasn't in this league.

I'm the biggest Lebron hater ever but him and Kobe and Duncan are this generation's greatests. Kobe leaving the NBA will be a sad day for sports, but will mark a new era.

If there was a sad day, it was the day he tore his achilles. But he hasn't been relevant since that day. And for fans that don't love Kobe, they don't care that he's leaving next year because he has basically been gone from being "Kobe" for at least 2 seasons now.

You won't be sad to see Lebron leave, so understand many don't care, and many are glad that he's gone. Laker fans will fly there flags at half mass every game next season I'm sure.

mike_noodles
02-22-2015, 08:36 PM
Quitting makes it sound different than retirement. Like he's bitter.

Tony_Starks
02-22-2015, 08:54 PM
People do understand the concept of the greatest players ever remaining relevant after retirement right? Whether you like love dislike despise or don't care about Kobe the fact remains that he is still the most popular player globally since MJ and will continue to be talked about long after retirement. Some haters on a blog are a drop in the bucket when you look big picture impact on the game on and off the court.....

Jeffy25
02-22-2015, 10:41 PM
That was probably one of the top eras for fans and basketball of all time. Call it what you want but the mid 90s-2010 was a fantastic era. If anything the current era kind of sucks imo.

I prefer'd the Jordan-era and the new wave era of passing and spacing...but that's me. Hero ball is by far my least favorite style of play. Guys like Iverson, Kobe, etc....just not a fan of their style.

Supreme LA
02-22-2015, 10:51 PM
I prefer'd the Jordan-era and the new wave era of passing and spacing...but that's me. Hero ball is by far my least favorite style of play. Guys like Iverson, Kobe, etc....just not a fan of their style.

Passing and spacing isn't something new. It has been the philosophy under Phil's triangle during the era that you say you don't care for. You guys call out Kobe for playing hero-ball but you do understand that he's primarily done that when he has horrible teams and crap players to pass it to. When his teams were competitive he played team ball during all of his title runs.

And really the only teams that do a good job of passing and spacing are the Spurs, Grizz, and Hawks today.

IKnowHoops
02-22-2015, 10:52 PM
People do understand the concept of the greatest players ever remaining relevant after retirement right? Whether you like love dislike despise or don't care about Kobe the fact remains that he is still the most popular player globally since MJ and will continue to be talked about long after retirement. Some haters on a blog are a drop in the bucket when you look big picture impact on the game on and off the court.....

Preach!!!

lakerfan85
02-22-2015, 10:53 PM
Exactly what is hero ball? Somebody that never passes?

Jeffy25
02-22-2015, 11:06 PM
Passing and spacing isn't something new. It has been the philosophy under Phil's triangle during the era that you say you don't care for. You guys call out Kobe for playing hero-ball but you do understand that he's primarily done that when he has horrible teams and crap players to pass it to. When his teams were competitive he played team ball during all of his title runs.

And really the only teams that do a good job of passing and spacing are the Spurs, Grizz, and Hawks today.

The only seasons Kobe's didn't make the post-season were 05 and 14

And he didn't play in 2014

His 04-05 season he averaged 26 shots per 100 team possessions, his 13th most in an individual season

Kobe has 12 of the 100 seasons since 97 that a player has taken 26 of his teams 100 possessions.

He took 35 in the 05-06 season - team went 45-37
He took 31.7 in the 11-12 season - team went 41-25
He took 31.2 in the 10-11 season - team went 57-25

What you say simply isn't true.

You can't have it both ways with Kobe. He is either a hero ball chucker, and it benefits the Lakers or it hurts the Lakers. But he is a hero ball chucker, he has taken more shots per 100 possessions (27.8 - minimum of 300 games) since he came into the league. Melo and Iverson are second and third, and close by. Meanwhile, only 6.8 assists per 100 possessions, which is right next to Andre Iguodola.

He is a chucker, played hero ball. It's fine, but it's the truth. Not a style of play that I personally prefer. I didn't say there was anything particularly wrong with it.

RooBaller
02-23-2015, 04:54 AM
i grew up watching this fool. gonna cry when he go

LakersIn5
02-23-2015, 06:19 AM
People have different opinions especially with superstars. Some would be sad when kobe retires, some wont care at all. Its normal just like me not caring if duncan retires already

Jamiecballer
02-23-2015, 11:12 AM

i acknowledged that there are Kobe fans. so what did i say that was disagreeable?

jerellh528
02-23-2015, 12:23 PM
The only seasons Kobe's didn't make the post-season were 05 and 14

And he didn't play in 2014

His 04-05 season he averaged 26 shots per 100 team possessions, his 13th most in an individual season

Kobe has 12 of the 100 seasons since 97 that a player has taken 26 of his teams 100 possessions.

He took 35 in the 05-06 season - team went 45-37
He took 31.7 in the 11-12 season - team went 41-25
He took 31.2 in the 10-11 season - team went 57-25

What you say simply isn't true.

You can't have it both ways with Kobe. He is either a hero ball chucker, and it benefits the Lakers or it hurts the Lakers. But he is a hero ball chucker, he has taken more shots per 100 possessions (27.8 - minimum of 300 games) since he came into the league. Melo and Iverson are second and third, and close by. Meanwhile, only 6.8 assists per 100 possessions, which is right next to Andre Iguodola.

He is a chucker, played hero ball. It's fine, but it's the truth. Not a style of play that I personally prefer. I didn't say there was anything particularly wrong with it.

I don't mind it, basketball is there to entertain me firstly. His style is fun for me to watch, and his "hero ball" or whatever helped lakers win 5 titles and helped Bulls win 6.

benzni
02-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Kobe has always had a huge amount of nut huggers and extreme haters. Love him or hate him, people have to understand that this guy has been the face of the league for the last decade and then some. I don't care for the Lakers and I don't call myself a Kobe fan (I was a T-MAC fan) but the day he retires will be a sad day for the NBA.

PS. The word choice in the title is poor. "quitting" instead of "retiring" The hate never stops...

Stinkyoutsider
02-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Sad to see him go.

If he only had the ego to realize that he could still contribute in a big way for his team, he would still be at least a star player imo. Look at Tim Duncan for example. I don't even think he's the 3rd scoring option on his team anymore but he does so many other things on the floor for his club.

Kobe could still have 2 or 3 very good seasons in him if he would embrace the decoy role. He doesn't have to carry the load shooting the ball anymore. There's so many ways a former superstar can contribute to the club while on the floor. It's a shame that his first priority is still putting up shots while on the floor.

IKnowHoops
02-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Kobe has always had a huge amount of nut huggers and extreme haters. Love him or hate him, people have to understand that this guy has been the face of the league for the last decade and then some. I don't care for the Lakers and I don't call myself a Kobe fan (I was a T-MAC fan) but the day he retires will be a sad day for the NBA.

PS. The word choice in the title is poor. "quitting" instead of "retiring" The hate never stops...

Didn't want to misquote the article. Thats the title of the article that this thread was made from.

Hawkeye15
02-23-2015, 02:50 PM
I have watched since 1984. Seen plenty of all time greats come and go. While it's always sad, there is always going to be someone to take their place.

benzni
02-24-2015, 02:12 AM
Didn't want to misquote the article. Thats the title of the article that this thread was made from.

Thats fine. What a lame title they made.

hidalgo
02-24-2015, 03:46 AM
rats! rats! rats! he's not retiring after next season. i knew it was too good to be true...

PurpleLynch
02-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Ah,the irony.
People claiming that Kobe is irrelevant have like 50% of their posts on PSD in threads where Kobe is involved.
Kobe is almost done as Nba player? Yes.
Is he irrelevant to Nba's fans? I don't think so.

whoisonourteam
02-24-2015, 01:45 PM
Kobe's Inner Ego will never allow him to be a second fiddle on a team. He is a Pure " Alpha " Dog leader. Yes he will comeback next season. And yes he might allow his coach to not play him on the next game on back to backs. But bottom line, his Body is Dying ( Not literally )...but in the end, I feel at best...Kobe might be able to put 1,500 to 1,800 minutes next year before his Body once again goes down. And likely for the final count. Now no way should he not take the money the Lakers were foolishly willing to sign him to. But, if things go like I assume they will next season...Kobe should just walk away.