PDA

View Full Version : Kawahi Leonard: the Fake Finals MVP

CousinsEvansDUO
02-21-2015, 01:43 AM
Does anybody else think it was a shame the nba did not do the right thing and add to Tim Duncans legacy by granting him the prized award? His impact was on the same level if not better than Leonard's and he only got the award because some people suspected he will become a superstar...well the facts are in and bottom line he is a glorified role player shooting 43% averaging 15 points and 7 boards. This is no finals MVP, this is no champion, this is a product of a system and one lucky role player. I believe, and I'm sure many people are with me that tim Duncan's legacy is far more important to appreciate and HE DESERVES IT OVER KAWAHi. Should the league reverse their decision? Should the people who granted him this award be ridiculed and fired for their lack of intelligence? Discuss.

goingfor28
02-21-2015, 01:44 AM
Jesus Christ

Tony_Starks
02-21-2015, 01:49 AM
Jesus Christ

ChI_ShIzzLe
02-21-2015, 01:57 AM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/58323970.jpg

bucketss
02-21-2015, 02:06 AM
chesus chrysler

Allphakenny1
02-21-2015, 02:08 AM
I feel like too many people over value the finals MVP. All it means is that they were the best player for one series on the winning team. They may not have been the best player over an 82 game regular season, or the four series to win a championship. Hell, a player could have been better on the losing team and could not win the award. Finals MVP is exactly what it is, the MVP of the last series of the year, nothing more.

TheGuz00
02-21-2015, 02:11 AM
^ exactly! Remember Deion Branch? SB 39 MVP!

bleedprple&gold
02-21-2015, 02:20 AM
Last I checked the finals mvp is not a lifetime achievement award.

Vee-Rex
02-21-2015, 02:22 AM
Hey, people take it and run with it.

Great role player and obviously someone you'd love to have on your team, but Leonard was and never will be a superstar. After that finals mvp though everyone would have you believe he was gonna be the next Lebron.

jerellh528
02-21-2015, 02:36 AM
Lol. He deserved it

ChicagoFan4Eva
02-21-2015, 02:45 AM
Hey, people take it and run with it.

Great role player and obviously someone you'd love to have on your team, but Leonard was and never will be a superstar. After that finals mvp though everyone would have you believe he was gonna be the next Lebron.

Really?

Hawkeye15
02-21-2015, 02:46 AM
I mean, sure, he will be one of the weakest Finals MVPs ever, but why does that matter?

I have never seen such perfect basketball.

NYKnickFanatic
02-21-2015, 02:57 AM
Cheese and rice.

flea
02-21-2015, 03:06 AM
Meh, anyone that watched the Spurs playoff run in '14 knows Duncan was the best player. It'll be a cool footnote for NBA history I guess - that time the future HOF old guy led one of the 4 or 5 greatest teams ever to a championship but didn't get Finals MVP. In any case, like others have said, it was a huge team effort.

Kawhi got the MVP because of what he did matching up with Lebron, though. He terrorized him defensively, and even though Duncan is as big or a bigger part of shutting down Lebron's game it was Leonard faced up with him. Offensively, though, Leonard went nuts in the final 3 blowouts with Lebron guarding him. With the best player in the game guarding him Kawhi went for 17.8/6.4/2 on 61% from the floor and 58% from 3 (over 2 3-pointers per game). To be sure, a lot of those points came in the 3 blowouts - where the entire Spurs team made the Heat their little women - whereas Duncan did the heavy lifting offensively in the only 2 competitive games (really only game 2 was competitive, but game 1 wasn't nearly as bad as games 3-5).

He's a very good player though, and still young, so it's hard to glean anything from his injury-plagued season so far. He's expanded his offensive game with a nice post presence this season. The results haven't been what they were but his team has been hurt and there's been a lot of lineup shuffling. I don't really worry about it - he's going to continue being no less than a top 3 perimeter defender for the next 7-10 years. I don't expect his shooting to drastically improve but if he can develop his post moves further, or his handles, or both then he's going to turn into a fine scorer in his prime.

FlashBolt
02-21-2015, 04:20 AM
I think Leonard is a tad overrated. Yes, he makes them better but I remember how analysts praised him for this and that. Simply put, he's a product of their system. I cannot for the life of me see Kawhi being a 1st option having to carry a team on his back. That's just me but there are about twenty guys I'm taking before Kawhi without flinching. For example, these past two games, he hasn't shown anything. I get that he's battling injuries but I think it's safe to say that between Kawhi, Klay, and Butler, Kawhi isn't even close to those guys. I remember when people had him over those other two - which is completely absurd when you think about it.

naps
02-21-2015, 05:03 AM
Kawhi was great in the finals and so was Duncan. One wouldn't be mad if it was given to Duncan.
Last two Spurs final's MVPs are Parker and Kawhi but Tim Duncan has been their best player ever since he arrived in this league. Timmy has always been the true MVP of that team, even today. You take away him and this team will fall apart from the top to bottom. Even Pop himself couldn't save it.

Tony_Starks
02-21-2015, 05:03 AM
Chauncey got finals MVP before he ever made a all-star team. It happens. Leonard not only hit big shots but neutralized his man, it was a well deserved award.......

ichitownclowni
02-21-2015, 05:48 AM
It's not the SI Swimsuit edition dude!!! Calm down!!! Once a year man!

JasonJohnHorn
02-21-2015, 11:29 AM
He had an AMAZING series. Thanks in large part to Tony Parker and Tim Duncan opening things up.

The MVP usually goes to the leading scorer. I believe Duncan was the MVP, because without him the team would have not been able to compete. Without Leonard, the Spurs would have seen Danny Green and Patty Mills and Tony Parker take on a bigger role. No doubt.

But that said, Leonard had the best statistical series out of anybody on the Spurs. I think the eye test will tell you how important Duncan was, and Tony Parker is right there, but the stats say Leonard had the best series.

I mean, there are guys on special teams in football that get the superbowl MVP....

That said, Duncan will go down as the best power forward to ever play the game from the inception of the league to the time he retires. there might be better to come after him, but nobody before him is as good.

He doesn't need an MVP to solidify his legacy.

jaydubb
02-21-2015, 12:36 PM
Some people will never get over the past...

SPURSFAN1
02-21-2015, 01:02 PM
MVP chants by the crowd. I think all of San Antonio know's who the real MVP for the Finals was.
He'll be making it two this year so STFU. A bad game and they come out like cockroaches. :laugh2:

SPURSFAN1
02-21-2015, 01:07 PM
Can't even spell his ****ing name on the thread title. :laugh2:

SPURSFAN1
02-21-2015, 01:07 PM
Clearly you don't know anything about him.

ThuglifeJ
02-21-2015, 01:18 PM
He deserved it. Game changer. Amazing D and plays made in that series

Wade n Fade
02-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Derrick Rose is a flukey MVP. Leonard deserved it in the finals nevertheless.

IKnowHoops
02-21-2015, 04:39 PM
Meh, anyone that watched the Spurs playoff run in '14 knows Duncan was the best player. It'll be a cool footnote for NBA history I guess - that time the future HOF old guy led one of the 4 or 5 greatest teams ever to a championship but didn't get Finals MVP. In any case, like others have said, it was a huge team effort.

Kawhi got the MVP because of what he did matching up with Lebron, though. He terrorized him defensively, and even though Duncan is as big or a bigger part of shutting down Lebron's game it was Leonard faced up with him. Offensively, though, Leonard went nuts in the final 3 blowouts with Lebron guarding him. With the best player in the game guarding him Kawhi went for 17.8/6.4/2 on 61% from the floor and 58% from 3 (over 2 3-pointers per game). To be sure, a lot of those points came in the 3 blowouts - where the entire Spurs team made the Heat their little women - whereas Duncan did the heavy lifting offensively in the only 2 competitive games (really only game 2 was competitive, but game 1 wasn't nearly as bad as games 3-5).

He's a very good player though, and still young, so it's hard to glean anything from his injury-plagued season so far. He's expanded his offensive game with a nice post presence this season. The results haven't been what they were but his team has been hurt and there's been a lot of lineup shuffling. I don't really worry about it - he's going to continue being no less than a top 3 perimeter defender for the next 7-10 years. I don't expect his shooting to drastically improve but if he can develop his post moves further, or his handles, or both then he's going to turn into a fine scorer in his prime.

Thats nuts these days? Those are worse than Lebrons season averages last year and he wasn't the MVP. SMH

flea
02-21-2015, 04:44 PM
Thats nuts these days? Those are worse than Lebrons season averages last year and he wasn't the MVP. SMH

I said he went nuts in the final 3 blowouts. 23.7/9.3/2.3 with 2 steals and 2 blocks was his line for those 3 games FYI. For a guy who, as Pop said after the series, didn't get any plays called for him at all to score 18 over 5 games in the Finals (24 in the final 3) yes that's nuts. Especially considering he was Lebron's check.

IKnowHoops
02-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Chauncey got finals MVP before he ever made a all-star team. It happens. Leonard not only hit big shots but neutralized his man, it was a well deserved award.......

Get off the drugs dude. If every player on the Heat would of played like Lebron, then the Heat crush the Spurs. Lebron was a beast and his team got neutralized. Stop lying to yourself. 28/7/5 on 58% and thats neutralized? No player has ever been neutralized with those stats. The Heat teammates did nothing. Thats the truth. Lebron was by far the best player on the court on both teams. The stats back that up easily. Your eye test is a fraud. And your nitpicking of stats at certain points of the game are ridiculous. In totality if every heat player played like Lebron, and every spurs player played like Leonard, the Heat win easily.

IKnowHoops
02-21-2015, 04:56 PM
I said he went nuts in the final 3 blowouts. 23.7/9.3/2.3 with 2 steals and 2 blocks was his line for those 3 games FYI. For a guy who, as Pop said after the series, didn't get any plays called for him at all to score 18 over 5 games in the Finals (24 in the final 3) yes that's nuts. Especially considering he was Lebron's check.

Still doesn't make it nuts. Did Lebron go nuts the entire series then since his stats are better? And he had the MVP checking him?

meloman1592
02-21-2015, 05:07 PM
Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

kdspurman
02-21-2015, 05:29 PM
Still doesn't make it nuts. Did Lebron go nuts the entire series then since his stats are better? And he had the MVP checking him?

Have you seen the #'s with just Kawhi guarding him, or are you assuming only Kawhi guarded him?

In Game 3, James had a series-high 73 offensive touches but attempted only 14 shots. James was guarded by Leonard on 65 percent of the Heatís possessions with James on the court in Game 3, the most Leonard has defended James in any game this series.

Letís take a look at how Leonard has made LeBronís life more difficult in the NBA Finals.

Fewer shots
Only 17 percent of LeBronís touches against Leonard in the Finals have resulted in a field goal attempt. Thatís half the rate James has against all other defenders. That means Leonard has been successful forcing him to pass the ball or turn it over.

Fewer touches
Leonard has been successful keeping the ball out of LeBronís hands. James has been held without a touch on 35 percent of the Heatís possessions when heís guarded by Leonard. Against all other defenders heís held without a touch 25 percent of the time.

Fewer drives
James has driven to the basket on 13 percent of his touches against Leonard. That rate jumps to 22 percent against all other defenders. Leonard has been able to keep James in front of him and force tough angles to keep him away from the basket.

It all equals more Leonard vs James
Leonard finished a Heat possession on James 65 percent of the time when James was on the court in Game 3. James attempted only 14 field goal attempts in the game despite a series-high 73 touches.

LeBron James by Defender:
Game 5
Leonard All Others
Points 5 19
FG 1-6 6-11
James: 3-4, 7 points in transition

Leonard's defense on James in the series was key. James shot 57.6 percent against him, but he wasnít always able to get his shot off or even get the ball.

Only 19 percent of James' touches against Leonard in the Finals resulted in a James field goal attempt. Against all other defenders, that rate jumped to 33 percent.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/91407/kawhi-leonard-wreaking-havoc-on-lebron

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/91529/mvp-leonard-does-it-all

KnicksorBust
02-21-2015, 05:32 PM
Duncan doesnt need the Finals.MVP. Leonard deserved it and is one of the best SF in the game. He is also one of the top 10 two way players in the game.

akagiredsuns
02-21-2015, 05:33 PM
Man oh man does ignorance run rampant in here. Leonard outplayed and outhustled LeBron in the finals. That anyone wants to sit here and say he did not deserve it are just a bunch of haters. Grow up and move on. Stop crying. :facepalm:

FlashBolt
02-21-2015, 05:35 PM
Lmao @ Leonard outplayed LeBron. I think the correct term was the Spurs outplayed LeBron.

SPURSFAN1
02-21-2015, 06:16 PM
Lmao @ Leonard outplayed LeBron. I think the correct term was the Spurs outplayed LeBron.

Salty like KD. lol

FlashBolt
02-21-2015, 06:21 PM
Salty like KD. lol

I wonder if you're still going to be a Spurs fan when Pop/Duncan retires.. I will be on the lookout for that.

SPURSFAN1
02-21-2015, 06:39 PM
I wonder if you're still going to be a Spurs fan when Pop/Duncan retires.. I will be on the lookout for that.

I'm a spurs fan. Not a pop or duncan fan.

Rush
02-21-2015, 07:11 PM
Please make quality discussion.