PDA

View Full Version : Hack-a-Jordan

numba1CHANGsta
02-20-2015, 02:30 AM
This rule is prime evidence that the NBA has become the WNBA, when will these pathetic rules be changed?

They should change the rule to whenever someone gets "hacked" they should be able to choose the player to shoot for them either every time or every other time

goingfor28
02-20-2015, 02:41 AM
I hate it but all you have to do is make your damn FTs and this wouldn't be a discussion

mngopher35
02-20-2015, 02:49 AM
I hate it but all you have to do is make your damn FTs and this wouldn't be a discussion

Kinda my thoughts as well. I don't feel extremely strong either way since it is boring to watch. That said I wouldn't do anything to change the rules, they are big boys they can work on their fts...

SportsFanatic10
02-20-2015, 02:50 AM
it's fine how it is...nba players should be able to make free throws. if not then it's a weakness that should be able to be exploited by the other team. makes coach's think about who should be on the floor at key times as well.

goingfor28
02-20-2015, 02:55 AM
I have no idea how every nba player isn't shooting at least 70%. I am positive I could do that, and I haven't played ball in probably 2 years.

sixer04fan
02-20-2015, 03:01 AM
Here are the numbers:

@SynergySST LAC in the half court = 0.981PPP, Jordan at 43%FT yields 0.86PPP. if he improves to even 49.1%, 'hack' would be a bad strategy

^Not to mention it stops the clock and probably yields a higher defensive reb% (although I don't know that for sure). But if Jordan could improve to 50-60%, it probably wouldn't be an issue

HouRealCoach
02-20-2015, 03:03 AM
He should learn how to shoot them..

IversonIsKrazy
02-20-2015, 03:05 AM
As a professional basketball player, you should be able to hit ur free-throws. No one enjoys the strategy, but I mean u cannot change the rule just b/c some player aren't good enough at shooting, thats just stupid.

Silent
02-20-2015, 04:08 AM
It's all strategy if they hate it that much learn to shoot your damm free throws. I haven't played ball in 3 years i probably still could hit 85%

Sadds The Gr8
02-20-2015, 05:20 AM
I used to be in the "make your damn fts" crowd but the last few years I've become torn. Why should the other team that's fouling be rewarded? Shouldn't their be a harsher penalty? No other sport has strategies that use fouling to gain an advantage....

My guess is they'll change it in the next few yrs. Silver seems to be a forward thinker and getting rid of this strategy will make watching more enjoyable

Kyben36
02-20-2015, 05:47 AM

really, a FT isnt that hard, come on. if you shoot better then you would not get hacked,

ewing
02-20-2015, 09:52 AM
This rule is prime evidence that the NBA has become the WNBA, when will these pathetic rules be changed?

They should change the rule to whenever someone gets "hacked" they should be able to choose the player to shoot for them either every time or every other time

WHAT??????? you think the NBA is being girly by making guys shoot their own "free" throws? Son of a *****.

MrfadeawayJB
02-20-2015, 10:33 AM
The funny thing is Jordan was getting frustrated and pushing the guys fouling him like a little *****. Most players would be licking their chops for two easy points

IndyRealist
02-20-2015, 11:10 AM
Professional basketball players should be able to shoot free throws. Anything under 60% is unacceptable from a pro. At 60% it's a bad strategy to hack anyway except in the last couple of possessions, and the NBA already took that away.

Kyle Korver can't get to the rim, so let's change the rules so that everyone has to shoot from behind the 3pt line.

goingfor28
02-20-2015, 11:40 AM
The funny thing is Jordan was getting frustrated and pushing the guys fouling him like a little *****. Most players would be licking their chops for two easy points
He did that once. Bc he got hit about 5x until the ref finally called a foul. Don't try to exaggerate things.

KnicksorBust
02-20-2015, 11:58 AM
I used to be in the "make your damn fts" crowd but the last few years I've become torn. Why should the other team that's fouling be rewarded? Shouldn't their be a harsher penalty? No other sport has strategies that use fouling to gain an advantage....

My guess is they'll change it in the next few yrs. Silver seems to be a forward thinker and getting rid of this strategy will make watching more enjoyable

The only reason they would change it is strictly to enhance the entertainment value of the game. Fouling at the end of games is extremely boring to the casual fan.

I say the rule stays.

jerellh528
02-20-2015, 12:21 PM

They wouldn't be rewarded if the player could shoot his free throws. Free throws are supposed to be FREE shots that is a reward for the player getting fouled, or at least should be. NBA players should hit them at least on a 70% clip, at worst.

72 Wins
02-20-2015, 12:22 PM
Make your damn free throws or bench him in these situations. Changing the rule would be another example of how soft the NBA is getting. Oh, you can't make your free throws? So let's reward that deficiency and have someone else shoot them for you.

RAPS424
02-20-2015, 01:08 PM
Make your damn free throws or bench him in these situations. Changing the rule would be another example of how soft the NBA is getting. Oh, you can't make your free throws? So let's reward that deficiency and have someone else shoot them for you.

+1

Goose17
02-20-2015, 01:14 PM
I get it from both perspectives. I remember hearing Shaq used to make like 80% of his free throws when he shot the granny shot but he refused to do it in an actual game because it didn't "look cool" and he found it embarrassing. Essentially he chose looking cool over winning.

Everyone has a weakness and it's your opponents job to exploit those weaknesses.

I think it's just good strategy at the end of the day.

phantasyyy
02-20-2015, 01:29 PM
It's all strategy if they hate it that much learn to shoot your damm free throws. I haven't played ball in 3 years i probably still could hit 85%

Seeing as how the league averages has been steadily around 75-77%, you clearly can not lol.

IndyRealist
02-20-2015, 01:39 PM
Seeing as how the league averages has been steadily around 75-77%, you clearly can not lol.

Maybe he's a stud prospect who was supposed to be the next Steve Nash unless he blew out his knee. You don't know :eyebrow:

ewing
02-20-2015, 02:00 PM

If you get absolutely turned around by a wide receiver on a double move with no deep help, do you hold?

Of course you do. Everything team/competitor in every sports tries to use the rule to there advantage

Sadds The Gr8
02-20-2015, 02:07 PM
This you get absolutely turned around by a wide receiver on a double move with no deep help, do you hold?

Of course they do
That kind of penalty is much more crucial...That isn't gaining an advantage by using a strategy. It's a last second desperation act to stop a big play

Sadds The Gr8
02-20-2015, 02:14 PM
The only reason they would change it is strictly to enhance the entertainment value of the game. Fouling at the end of games is extremely boring to the casual fan.

I say the rule stays.

Just thought of the flaw of changing it because of your post. At the end of games if a bad ft shooter gets the ball and gets fouled, he'd obviously have to shoot which could add drama and give the losing team a better chance. You might be right that they don't change it.

Unless they do something where intentional fouls with over 2 mins in the quarter means the team gets to pick whichever ft shooter they want, but change it back to the rules now for last 2 mins.

ewing
02-20-2015, 02:22 PM

I can shoot uncontested shots better then the majority of the NBA players. I am also 5'10 170 lbs, slow, and unable to touch rim

phantasyyy
02-20-2015, 02:34 PM
I can shoot uncontested shots better then the majority of the NBA players. I am also 5'10 170 lbs, slow, and unable to touch rim

Lol.. No you cannot. just stop you e-athlete.

ewing
02-20-2015, 02:44 PM
Lol.. No you cannot. just stop you e-athlete.

hey, i went 17 for 17 from the line in a JV game in 1994

Chronz
02-20-2015, 02:49 PM
Wat game were you watching, he didn't shove anyone for that, did he? I saw him foul watshisface for getting physical before the hacks resurfaced. A true ***** runs from fouls

Chronz
02-20-2015, 02:53 PM
hey, i went 17 for 17 from the line in a JV game in 1994 lots of players shot better before experiencing the rigors of an nba game

Chronz
02-20-2015, 02:56 PM
I get it from both perspectives. I remember hearing Shaq used to make like 80% of his free throws when he shot the granny shot but he refused to do it in an actual game because it didn't "look cool" and he found it embarrassing. Essentially he chose looking cool over winning.

Everyone has a weakness and it's your opponents job to exploit those weaknesses.

I think it's just good strategy at the end of the day.
You're remembering the story wrong. He never practiced the granny shot. He did shoot much better in practice. Lots ofv guys refuse to granny for a reason.

ewing
02-20-2015, 03:00 PM
lots of players shot better before experiencing the rigors of an nba game

You right, deandre jordan is a better shooter then me :rolleyes:

Sly Guy
02-20-2015, 03:08 PM

they should be at least. It's pathetic watching guys not be able to make them. Inexcusable.

Hawkeye15
02-20-2015, 03:32 PM

this isn't new. Make your free throws, and it's a non-issue.

kdspurman
02-20-2015, 03:39 PM
Wat game were you watching, he didn't shove anyone for that, did he? I saw him foul watshisface for getting physical before the hacks resurfaced. A true ***** runs from fouls

He shoved Splitter down and got a little pushy at first with Baynes, but then he stopped and just let it be.

jerellh528
02-20-2015, 03:46 PM

He might be able to, even my girlfriend shot over 80% on her high school team.

Chronz
02-20-2015, 03:57 PM
You right, deandre jordan is a better shooter then me :rolleyes:

Not DJ. But his form looks good tho right. Wonder what he shoots in an empty gym tho. Wouldn't be surprised if it was just as bad tho

phantasyyy
02-20-2015, 04:09 PM

There is a huge huge difference between high school basketball and basketball played in stadium with ~20,000 fans lmao

ewing
02-20-2015, 04:12 PM
There is a huge huge difference between high school basketball and basketball played in stadium with ~20,000 fans lmao

BS including bench players, coaches, and officials there had to be at least 25 people watching me

Hawkeye15
02-20-2015, 04:59 PM

have you ever shot on an NBA floor? Does your gf play on a 94 foot floor, 48 minute games,3-4 times a week, against 6'8" men? Is she shooting them with essentially a mini-ball?

While shooting 50% is totally unacceptable, shooting 75% in the NBA is a very reasonable number.

ewing
02-20-2015, 05:31 PM
While shooting 50% is totally unacceptable, shooting 75% in the NBA is a very reasonable number.[/QUOTE]

Most people think they shoot a much better % then they actually do as well. Everyone says they shot at least 80%, they aren't full of it but a lot of them are wrong.

IDunknown
02-20-2015, 06:18 PM
He did that once. Bc he got hit about 5x until the ref finally called a foul. Don't try to exaggerate things.

One time when Baynes was fouling him and the ref wouldn't call it he told him to stop,then another time he tried to push before he got fouled.

Minimal
02-20-2015, 08:58 PM
Why did I think about Michael Jordan at first...?

Cracka2HI!
02-20-2015, 09:22 PM
I hate the rule but since it's a rule I have no problem with teams doing it even as a Clipper fan. I think the rule should be changed because it makes the games unwatchable. The league can't put out this kind of a product. If I wanted to watch a bunch of guys stand there and do nothing while 1 guy has the ball I'd watch soccer.

Cracka2HI!
02-20-2015, 09:24 PM
I should also add the strategy usually doesn't work even if DJ is missing most his FT's. Clippers are undefeated when DJ shoots over 20 FT's. It allows the Clippers to dig in on defense and only have to worry about the half court. It takes the opponents out of their game. The worst part of watching that crap is it isn't even really a good strategy.

Minimal
02-20-2015, 09:43 PM
I should also add the strategy usually doesn't work even if DJ is missing most his FT's. Clippers are undefeated when DJ shoots over 20 FT's. It allows the Clippers to dig in on defense and only have to worry about the half court. It takes the opponents out of their game. The worst part of watching that crap is it isn't even really a good strategy.
Its a good strategy if players FT% is lower than teams PPP. In case of Clippers its 0.567 PPP, DeAndre is .408% FT shooter (.408 PPP), so its really good strategy against Clips.

THE MTL
02-20-2015, 10:17 PM

No he should expand his game and learn how to shoot them.

eibbor
02-20-2015, 10:36 PM
It sucks but... Just make your damn free throws.

As bad as the officiating is already, you want these hacks to decide what a hack is? To decide when someone else should shoot a free throw? To decide a game at the end because in someones opinion, that was too much and so now a much better shooter can step up?

**** no.

eibbor
02-20-2015, 10:41 PM
Its a good strategy if players FT% is lower than teams PPP. In case of Clippers its 0.567 PPP, DeAndre is .408% FT shooter (.408 PPP), so its really good strategy against Clips.

Yeah if someones PPP is less or above a FT or PPP or their MBA is half the % of their ABS unless their in game TMV is above the league average compared to blah blah ****ing blah.

You really need advance stats to make a case for fouling the dude that sucks at free throws in crunch time?

Put your calculator down and watch a ****ing game dude.

Cracka2HI!
02-20-2015, 10:55 PM

It doesn't lead to many wins. I can't remember the Clippers losing a game because of it. You're taking 1 stat and ignoring all other possible factors. What does it do the opposing teams offense?

eibbor
02-20-2015, 11:00 PM
It doesn't lead to many wins. I can't remember the Clippers losing a game because of it. You're taking 1 stat and ignoring all other possible factors. What does it do the opposing teams offense?

It completely stops the game and gives the opposing team time and a chance to set up plays

FlashBolt
02-20-2015, 11:36 PM
NBA is a game of chess. This is a strategy. If you don't want any hack-a-"player", sign a center who can hit free throws. With Jordan, you get defense, rebounding, and easy lobs. He can't hit FT's, that's a con. Sorry, you're just being a bit unreasonable here. I love the Hack-A-Shaq strategy. It just goes to show how advanced the game can really be.

eibbor
02-20-2015, 11:55 PM
NBA is a game of chess. This is a strategy. If you don't want any hack-a-"player", sign a center who can hit free throws. With Jordan, you get defense, rebounding, and easy lobs. He can't hit FT's, that's a con. Sorry, you're just being a bit unreasonable here. I love the Hack-A-Shaq strategy. It just goes to show how advanced the game can really be.

I'm not sure if this will make sense to those that pretend to understand advanced stats. It's almost impossible to google common sense like this.

Well expressed, sir.

ohreally
02-21-2015, 12:08 AM
Just thought of the flaw of changing it because of your post. At the end of games if a bad ft shooter gets the ball and gets fouled, he'd obviously have to shoot which could add drama and give the losing team a better chance. You might be right that they don't change it.

Unless they do something where intentional fouls with over 2 mins in the quarter means the team gets to pick whichever ft shooter they want, but change it back to the rules now for last 2 mins.

And the player the team picks has to have been on the floor when the foul occurred but has to come for the remainder of the game from that point on?

Shammyguy3
02-21-2015, 12:12 AM
Yeah if someones PPP is less or above a FT or PPP or their MBA is half the % of their ABS unless their in game TMV is above the league average compared to blah blah ****ing blah.

You really need advance stats to make a case for fouling the dude that sucks at free throws in crunch time?

Put your calculator down and watch a ****ing game dude.

Will comments like this ever go away?

Raps18-19 Champ
02-21-2015, 12:18 AM
Yes, let's punish teams for exploiting a team's weakness!

Sadds The Gr8
02-21-2015, 12:22 AM
And the player the team picks has to have been on the floor when the foul occurred but has to come for the remainder of the game from that point on?
Yea same thing as a technical ft.

I also like Bill Simmons idea. How about just declining the fts....like declining a penalty in football

rocket
02-21-2015, 12:26 AM
i haven't played in 13 years and could probably make 98.3% of my free throws

eibbor
02-21-2015, 12:34 AM
i haven't played in 13 years and could probably make 98.3% of my free throws

You would be lucky to make 68.3 unless you are a loser that stands around in your drive way shooting balls for no reason.

Don't toot your own horn dude... Be honest...

Don't feel bad, there is gonna be tons of people that say I'm an ******* and pretend like they can hit FT's at will just like you just tried to.

Just remember, they are all liars.

Free Throws aren't hard, but unless you are a teenager or are in college, you have no reason and there is no reason to pretend.

For the adults pretending like they can... You can't and if you can, your family misses you

rocket
02-22-2015, 02:45 AM
You would be lucky to make 68.3 unless you are a loser that stands around in your drive way shooting balls for no reason.

Don't toot your own horn dude... Be honest...

Don't feel bad, there is gonna be tons of people that say I'm an ******* and pretend like they can hit FT's at will just like you just tried to.

Just remember, they are all liars.

Free Throws aren't hard, but unless you are a teenager or are in college, you have no reason and there is no reason to pretend.

For the adults pretending like they can... You can't and if you can, your family misses you

i was mocking the people. but thanks for the essay you had to sweat out.

Chronz
02-22-2015, 06:07 AM

So true. That's why it's a better strategy when you're winning to stop the other teams momentum.

jerellh528
02-22-2015, 11:05 AM
have you ever shot on an NBA floor? Does your gf play on a 94 foot floor, 48 minute games,3-4 times a week, against 6'8" men? Is she shooting them with essentially a mini-ball?

While shooting 50% is totally unacceptable, shooting 75% in the NBA is a very reasonable number.

No but she also didnt get paid millions to do it as one of the few elite players in the world to be able to play basketball for a living. This was a high school girl shooting 8o%. Pro players should at least be shooting 70% or greater from the line