PDA

View Full Version : Trade Deadline Winners and Losers

Wade n Fade
02-19-2015, 07:40 PM
I think my winners are Miami, OKC, Boston, and Milwaukee. Losers include Utah, Philadelphia, and Brooklyn. Utah is a loser for getting not much in return for Kanter. Philly for getting rid of MCW and KJ McDaniels. Brooklyn should've traded more than KG. They won one minor deal but failed to trade Lopez, Johnson, Williams.

slaker619
02-19-2015, 07:53 PM
Winners: Miami, Boston, Thunder, Timberwolves, Trailblazers
Losers: 76ers, Nuggets

Redrum187
02-19-2015, 07:56 PM
1.) OKC
2.) Miami
3.) Boston/Mil

LAKERS4LIFE!!
02-19-2015, 08:03 PM
The 76ers are a joke of a franchise. Do they ever want to be good?

Verbal Christ
02-19-2015, 08:04 PM
PHX giving up the Lakers pick was head scratching

GiantsSwaGG
02-19-2015, 08:05 PM

This

IndyRealist
02-19-2015, 08:09 PM

I'd bet this is their last year of tanking. Like everyone pretty much knew, MCW has a limited ceiling and getting a few extra wins this year isn't in the plans. They have picks and flexibility to pull off the next "harden wants out of OKC" type deal.

bleedprple&gold
02-19-2015, 08:14 PM
I would pick Philly as losers even though they got the Lakers first, but I don't understand trading McDaniels, a promising young player for basically a future 2nd rounder. Do they plan on actually developing any of their young players, or do they just trade whoever they can for future picks. And what's the point of trading for future picks, if you are just going to trade whoever you pick with those picks for more future picks?

Also, interesting how Suns went from hoarding PGs to trading 3 of them all in one day. Talk about a total 180. I thought they should have at least kept Thomas.

Wade n Fade
02-19-2015, 08:15 PM
I'd bet this is their last year of tanking. Like everyone pretty much knew, MCW has a limited ceiling and getting a few extra wins this year isn't in the plans. They have picks and flexibility to pull off the next "harden wants out of OKC" type deal.

Technically, Miami pulled off a deal (not that level of star player or with the quality of assets) to acquire Dragic. It really depends on how desperate a team is. For example, if the Spurs don't offer Kawahi the max, he might get disgruntled and get dealt for assets. When trying to predict who is the next Harden, you need to think big and think the unexpected.

Ariza's Better
02-19-2015, 08:20 PM
Winners: Miami, OKC and Boston
Losers: Suns, Bucks and Houston

Sportfan
02-19-2015, 08:35 PM
Why are the Heat winners? You guys must be the same people who thought The Nets won the KG/PP trade.

They made an EXTREMELY risky trade, the 2021 has no protection and 2017 is top 7 protected for a guy who theyre going to have for 3 months or extremely overpay (with NYK/LAL involved, Miami will have to sign Dragic to near max).

Dwayne Wade isn't all star caliber player anymore. Bosh has 110+ million left on his contract, Deng probably won't be on the Heat by 2017, and Whiteside could still be a fluke for all we know. Rajon Rondo was recently traded for a guaranteeed late teens/20s pick and scraps, the Heat gave up 2 1sts that could easily be lotto picks for a 29 year old point guard they will have to overpay

Unless they make the Finals I don't see how they are today's biggest winners

Kaner
02-19-2015, 08:41 PM
Why are the Heat winners? You guys must be the same people who thought The Nets won the KG/PP trade.

They made an EXTREMELY risky trade, the 2021 has no protection and 2017 is top 7 protected for a guy who theyre going to have for 3 months or extremely overpay (with NYK/LAL involved, Miami will have to sign Dragic to near max).

Dwayne Wade isn't all star caliber player anymore. Bosh has 110+ million left on his contract, Deng probably won't be on the Heat by 2017, and Whiteside could still be a fluke for all we know. Rajon Rondo was recently traded for a guaranteeed late teens/20s pick and scraps, the Heat gave up 2 1sts that could easily be lotto picks for a 29 year old point guard they will have to overpay

This. Also no guarantee he resigns if he wants to be a Laker or Knick. The Miami trade was the riskiest move at the deadline by far.

theducksmuggler
02-19-2015, 08:52 PM
76ers traded KJ McDaniels because he is a restrcited free agent after the season and Hinkie probably didnt want to sign him to a big deal just to keep him...MCW trade was for possibly 6-8 range pick this year or top 10 pick next year, He is a horrible shooting PG who is not explosive to the rim either and is somewhat turnover prone so Hinkie sold high on him when he could in my opinion...just wanted to clarify for everyone saying the 76ers are losers.

Kaner
02-19-2015, 09:23 PM
76ers traded KJ McDaniels because he is a restrcited free agent after the season and Hinkie probably didnt want to sign him to a big deal just to keep him...MCW trade was for possibly 6-8 range pick this year or top 10 pick next year, He is a horrible shooting PG who is not explosive to the rim either and is somewhat turnover prone so Hinkie sold high on him when he could in my opinion...just wanted to clarify for everyone saying the 76ers are losers.

I think they got a sweet deal for MCW, thats probably a top 10 pick for someone who might never be a starting caliber pg. Still don't get the Mcdaniels move though. He's the caliber of player that you hope to get with 1 or 2 out of all the 76ers 2nd rd picks and you trade him for scraps. If he's going to get an extension then give it to him! The Sixers have an insane amount of cap space either way.

IndyRealist
02-19-2015, 09:55 PM
This. Basically the Sixers traded a #10 pick in a crappy draft for a possibly better pick in a much better draft.

bleedprple&gold
02-19-2015, 09:58 PM
I think they got a sweet deal for MCW, thats probably a top 10 pick for someone who might never be a starting caliber pg. Still don't get the Mcdaniels move though. He's the caliber of player that you hope to get with 1 or 2 out of all the 76ers 2nd rd picks and you trade him for scraps. If he's going to get an extension then give it to him! The Sixers have an insane amount of cap space either way.

Sixers don't want to actually pay anyone. Their strategy is they want to keep their salary as low as possible so they can take guys other teams don't want like McGee with picks attached. It's all out picks. Not about developing talent. Not about keeping your good players and developing a real team. It's whatever they can do to get more picks.

beasted86
02-19-2015, 10:38 PM
I don't know whether the 76ers were winners or losers long term, but short term they are losers, and that whole nonsense fans were spewing just a few days ago about this being the last year of tanking and expected playoff push starting 2016 is out the window pretty much. Throw that idea in a rotten garbage pile next to the scuffed up timberlands and dirty diapers.

76ers are clearly aiming for much later down the line. They just hit the rest button on their rebuild which just started last year anyway.

Kyben36
02-19-2015, 10:43 PM
Winners

Portland, AA brings alot, and they did not give up the boat to get him, a late pick, a bench big, and a few others, but nothing substantial. very good move bringing in a quality starting caliber wing, who can also defend

Nets- trading KG for That young, you get a quality player for a player who should have retired 3 years ago.
great move

Knicks- Shaved + picks for Priggs, is a good deal, shaved has some potential moving forward.

Timberwolves- got worse to improve draft stock, brang back kg to retire, and get some vet leadership. like the move overall, Young was not going to make or break that team anyway

Boston- Not going to say i like it, but gave up little for this little guy. he is a good player, Isaiah thomas should make fans forget about rondo

Detroit- like the regie jackson trade, he is better than Augustine and they didnt trade much else

Houston- Got two quality players in mcdanials and prigioni for nothing.

Neutral

OKC- Alot of people will have them as winner, but hold on, Jackson was essentially traded for Kantar which the Thunder, cant really aford to bring him back post this year (on a contract year, and no bird rights), think that was dumb, strait up dumb, that why a guy on a long contract like lopez made much more sense. You also got augustine, which helps, but if in the end you traded jackson for augustine, its a bad move, this year, it looks great, just saying, long term it might not be so great. also, they have given up a tone of picks over these past few trades,

Pheonix- not sure what to say, trading dragic for two late first round picks and 2 old SFs , trading thomas for KNight, while swaping the LAL pick for the Cleveland pick, i dont see upgrades, i see picks, this will determine the outcome, and i dont think the LAL pick will be a good move

Philly, not sure if to call them winners or loosers, but getting the LAL pick, the OKC Pick, but trading 2 quality players in mcdanials and Carter williams, time will tell based on their picks.

Pelicans- gave up salmons of a PG and a guy they will cut, not great, if cole helps but not that much

Milwalkee- not sure if a buy the Knight to MCW idea, i like Knight more, personally, but time again will tell if MCW can be better than Knight.

Miami- Contract says it all, if they overpay him as a 20 mil player, bad deal, if not, good deal. he is a starting caliber pg who can really help solidify that team, but two first round picks, and that much cap space could kill them in the future, good overall starting lineup now though. they could have offered him 20 mil over the offseason and probably out paid everyone for hi services.

Sacramento and Washington- combining these two, because, both dont make that much sense, Andre miller was good on washingtons team, and i dont think this swap helps either team.

Loosers

Denver -esentially gave up mcgee and affalo for nothing, cause the transfer of picks really offset. not sure where that team is going. (giving up okc to move mcgree, bringing in Por)

Utah,- yea, kantar for a late round pick, not a great move. should have goten more for him.

Chronz
02-19-2015, 10:43 PM
If the Sixers get the Lakers lotto pick on top of Denver's protected pick, they did a great job. Its a helluva gamble but if it pays off, what did they really lose? They are trying to identify long term prospects to go with Embiid and Noel.

Saddletramp
02-19-2015, 10:54 PM
Knicks- Shaved + picks for Priggs, is a good deal, shaved has some potential moving forward.............
Houston- Got two quality players in mcdanials and prigioni for nothing.*
One or the other, bro.

Edit: on second thought, Nevermind. I see what you're saying.

beasted86
02-19-2015, 10:56 PM
If the Sixers get the Lakers lotto pick on top of Denver's protected pick, they did a great job. Its a helluva gamble but if it pays off, what did they really lose? They are trying to identify long term prospects to go with Embiid and Noel.

The problem is, what do they even have with Embiid and Noel, and are they even players worth building around? Problem is compounded by the fact that they both play the same position. Nobody is selling anyone on the idea Noel is a PF. He's a lanky 6'11" Center like Sanders, like Camby.

Kyben36
02-19-2015, 11:09 PM
The problem is, what do they even have with Embiid and Noel, and are they even players worth building around? Problem is compounded by the fact that they both play the same position. Nobody is selling anyone on the idea Noel is a PF. He's a lanky 6'11" Center like Sanders, like Camby.

exactly, and no telling where that pick ends up, your talking about a ROY a few years back in MCW, the Lakers will own their own pick this year more than likely, meaning that between Kobe, Randall, Hill, 2015 1st round pick, and a potential FA signing this offseason, that team, might be pretty good come 2016, so, if the pick ends up a 10th pick, is MCW, prior ROY, work the 10th pick, IMO, i think i would take proven MCW over potential of a pick you cant control. plus, no telling which draft, or where, or how good that draft is, its a major risk.

THE MTL
02-19-2015, 11:10 PM
Sixers are just losers to alot of people because it seems they are set on another year of tanking. Sure those picks might be great (they might NOT be) but either way its more future on top of a team with NO present value at all.

I thought the point of tanking is to acquire good young talent and develop them. MCW was still the rookie of year, dealing with some injuries this year, sure he has his weaknesses but he has his strengths. I just dont think Philly should have gave up on a SECOND year player. And same goes with KJ McDaniels.

Now I'm assuming the plan is that Philly wont stop tanking till they get that once-in-a-generation superstar.

dhopisthename
02-19-2015, 11:11 PM
Utah,- yea, kantar for a late round pick, not a great move. should have goten more for him

I understand where you are coming from, but what if the jazz don't think he is very good and don't want to pay him? isn't it better to get a late first and some cap relief then nothing?

Kyben36
02-19-2015, 11:14 PM
Sixers are just losers to alot of people because it seems they are set on another year of tanking. Sure those picks might be great (they might NOT be) but either way its more future on top of a team with NO present value at all.

I thought the point of tanking is to acquire good young talent and develop them. MCW was still the rookie of year, dealing with some injuries this year, sure he has his weaknesses but he has his strengths. I just dont think Philly should have gave up on a SECOND year player. And same goes with KJ McDaniels.

Now I'm assuming the plan is that Philly wont stop tanking till they get that once-in-a-generation superstar.

if they get him, he will be too good, and they will trade him away for better draft possession.

MCW is a mismatch for PGs, averaging 15 ,7 and 6, not sure what they are waiting for.

they have had the two best players in the past two drafts fall to them, due to injuries, you have to be ready to win at some point.

Kyben36
02-19-2015, 11:19 PM
Utah,- yea, kantar for a late round pick, not a great move. should have goten more for him

I understand where you are coming from, but what if the jazz don't think he is very good and don't want to pay him? isn't it better to get a late first and some cap relief then nothing?

Just think you could have gotten more, Kantar has some game, still young at 22, and just cause he wants out, does not mean you give him up for nothing,

his stats are not that much diferent from an allstar player by the name of al horford (his 4th year) , just kantar plays less minutes. and a late pick for a former #3 doesnt make sense.

sixer04fan
02-19-2015, 11:26 PM

Oh please. Lakers fans are one to talk this year lol. You're trying to tank as much as we are. Even more, actually, because you lose your pick if its not top 5.

THE MTL
02-19-2015, 11:34 PM
Oh please. Lakers fans are one to talk this year lol. You're trying to tank as much as we are. Even more, actually, because you lose your pick if its not top 5.

Its not about tanking. I feel the Lakers started out this season with every intention on fielding a decent team but injury, bad luck, new players just backfired and turned to tanking (similar situation as my Knicks). Now the Sixers, tanking has been your Plan A last year, this year, and judging from the recent trades next year too. You went into the season with the intention of losing games which is just a horrible culture.

dhopisthename
02-19-2015, 11:39 PM
Just think you could have gotten more, Kantar has some game, still young at 22, and just cause he wants out, does not mean you give him up for nothing,

his stats are not that much diferent from an allstar player by the name of al horford (his 4th year) , just kantar plays less minutes. and a late pick for a former #3 doesnt make sense.

bs.

Al Horford
15.3 ppg/9.3 rpg/3.3 apg/1.3 tov/.550 efg%/.179 ws/48/4.4 BPM/4.4 VORP
Enes Kanter
13.8 ppg/7.8 rpg/.5 apg/1.9 tov/.503 efg%/.081 ws/48/-4.5 BPM/-.8 VORP

kanter doesn't get more time because he makes mental mistakes on defense all of the time. I have seen a ton of games that teams will just attack kanter defensively. he has last time I read he is among the top 5 worst defenders at the rim. he also has 26 assists on the season so far and has been a serious black hole.

Kyben36
02-19-2015, 11:42 PM

they at least field a team, 76ers trade every good player they get,

the Lakers have tallent, but Kobe, Randall got injured, Hill is a solid player Nash busted but not because they expected him too. they brought in lin to replace him hoping that would work out, brought in boozer to replace Gasol ed davis and Nick young are solid players

and the lakers didnt trade away their tallent to tank, while the 76ers trade away any tallent they get,

See Holiday, Young, MCW and Mcdanials, not to mention bringing in shaqtin a fool king Javal Mcgee for just to have an other late round pick.

sixer04fan
02-19-2015, 11:54 PM
Yet, at this point, their fanbases wants their teams to tank just as much as the Sixers. Stop worrying about Philly's "culture" and take a look in the mirror

sixer04fan
02-20-2015, 12:01 AM
The Sixers are going to continue to stockpile assets until they get a superstar through the draft or through trade. That's what this is all about. That's the strategy. They may already have one in Embiid, they may not. But MCW and KJ were not future superstars. Today's moves are a tough pill to swallow but they improved the Sixers odds of getting a superstar in the future through asset acquisition.

You don't have to understand it. You don't have to agree with it. It's not going to change anything. The Sixers aren't going to apologize for it.

Kaner
02-20-2015, 12:09 AM
The Sixers are going to continue to stockpile assets until they get a superstar through the draft or through trade. That's what this is all about. That's the strategy. They may already have one in Embiid, they may not. But MCW and KJ were not future superstars. Today's moves are a tough pill to swallow but they improved the Sixers odds of getting a superstar in the future through asset acquisition.

You don't have to understand it. You don't have to agree with it. It's not going to change anything. The Sixers aren't going to apologize for it.

How did the Mcdaniels trade improve the odds they get a superstar? Unless your talking about a 2nd rd pick. That had to have been a disappointing trade for a 76er fan.

sixer04fan
02-20-2015, 12:19 AM
How did the Mcdaniels trade improve the odds they get a superstar? Unless your talking about a 2nd rd pick. That had to have been a disappointing trade for a 76er fan.

McDaniels is a RFA after the season. I think that with guys like Reggie Jackson turning down 4 year $48M deals now, the Sixers were concerned about the types of offers he would receive. If he got an offer of even close to half that, the Sixers wouldn't think about matching.

They were concerned about that and took a proactive, calculated risk to move him. It's a risk and I do think we sold him short. But I understand the move. We could have lost him for nothing after the year. I like McDaniels.

As for the 2nd round pick. Who knows. It's another asset that could be packaged to move up in the draft eventually, or for a trade. Just another piece for the stockpile. It's unlikely to be a difference maker, but it has that possibility. And if the Sixers believed they'd lose KJ, strongly enough to make the trade, then maybe it's worth it.

Again, it's all about acquiring assets until you get the big fish. You don't have to agree with the strategy but that's what is happening.

I'm not happy about the trade but I understand it at least.

beasted86
02-20-2015, 12:26 AM

Everything you said here is correct. At the same time, because its a strategy doesn't mean it's a good strategy. There are multiple other ways to build a team with sustained success without tanking.

The HEAT dominated the Eastern Conference over the past 4 years and basically drafted Wade and Chalmers from that rotation, and basically retooled from 2008 to contender in 2 years flat. The Hawks who are dominating the East right now went from low playoff seed stuck in mud (the same place the 76ers were) to a legit threat to come out of the East while going to the playoff the last 7 years in a row. People were laughing about the Hawks being mediocre, but remind me again how many teams have been in the playoffs consecutively in the NBA, let alone the East? You might have the Spurs and that's about it.

There are different ways to choose to build a team, and this is simply the route Philly is choosing. The fact of the matter is, this route or strategy is the easy route. It's much easier than what the Hawks or HEAT did to clear house and tank than it is to retool and make smart FA choices based on fit, or creating a situation where all-stars want to join your franchise. Philly had Igoudala, Vucevic, Holiday, Turner, and other pieces and have made poor choices since then to get them where they are now (disregarding new or old ownership) with not one top 15 player at their position among all 5 starters. That there is a privilege only the 76ers, and maybe Wolves can say, and at least the Wolves traded Love just this very season.

As a fan paying money to watch games (either live or cable contract/sponsor revenue) you want a team that's enjoyable to watch, and I just don't see how anything the 76ers are doing is enjoyable for the fans.

Kaner
02-20-2015, 12:29 AM
McDaniels is a RFA after the season. I think that with guys like Reggie Jackson turning down 4 year $48M deals now, the Sixers were concerned about the types of offers he would receive. If he got an offer of even close to half that, the Sixers wouldn't think about matching.

They were concerned about that and took a proactive, calculated risk to move him. It's a risk and I do think we sold him short. But I understand the move. We could have lost him for nothing after the year. I like McDaniels.

As for the 2nd round pick. Who knows. It's another asset that could be packaged to move up in the draft eventually, or for a trade. Just another piece for the stockpile. It's unlikely to be a difference maker, but it has that possibility. And if the Sixers believed they'd lose KJ, strongly enough to make the trade, then maybe it's worth it.

Again, it's all about acquiring assets until you get the big fish. You don't have to agree with the strategy but that's what is happening.

I'm not happy about the trade but I understand it at least.

They could have gotten almost the same deal in the offseason after they knew if they want to match the offer he gets. It's a 2nd rd pick, GM's buy and sell them with Cash. Pablo Prigioni was traded for 2.

sixer04fan
02-20-2015, 12:36 AM
Jrue Holiday + Iguodala + Vucevic = Mediocrity Forever.

The Heat were fortunate enough to draft a superstar hall of famer in Wade. That makes things a lot easier.

The Sixers are trying to maximize their chances of landing a Dwyane Wade. Everything they are doing is about getting a player like that. The losing absolutely helps that cause, but it's about asset acquisition. More draft picks. More tradable pieces.

Doing what the Hawks are doing is the toughest route to go with the highest chance of failure because you can end up in mediocrity forever. You need superstars. And many people still don't think the Hawks are real contenders. And they have a proven top 3 pick on that team in Al Horford. That's a big help.

beasted86
02-20-2015, 12:37 AM
They could have gotten almost the same deal in the offseason after they knew if they want to match the offer he gets. It's a 2nd rd pick, GM's buy and sell them with Cash. Pablo Prigioni was traded for 2.

Let alone the fact that the 76ers were stupid in the first place to sign a 2nd round pick to a 1yr deal. Complete incompetence.

Even the HEAT before they knew what they had signed Whiteside to a 2yr deal. You always sign guys to a 2-3 year non-guaranteed contract. The old management made the same exact mistake just a few years ago with Lavoy Allen and ended up having to give him the bi-annual or MLE or something like that $3M a season because they were stupid. This new management seems to be following in the footsteps.

sixer04fan
02-20-2015, 12:42 AM

You don't know that. The Sixers don't know that. So they decided to make a deal and get something as opposed to possibly nothing.

RFAs leave teams all the time without it ending up in a trade...

Like I said. I'm in no way thrilled with that deal. I don't get why you're still trying to prove something to me one way or another.

beasted86
02-20-2015, 12:43 AM
Jrue Holiday + Iguodala + Vucevic = Mediocrity Forever.

The Heat were fortunate enough to draft a superstar hall of famer in Wade. That makes things a lot easier.

The Sixers are trying to maximize their chances of landing a Dwyane Wade. Everything they are doing is about getting a player like that. The losing absolutely helps that cause, but it's about asset acquisition. More draft picks. More tradable pieces.

Doing what the Hawks are doing is the toughest route to go with the highest chance of failure because you can end up in mediocrity forever. You need superstars. And many people still don't think the Hawks are real contenders. And they have a proven top 3 pick on that team in Al Horford. That's a big help.

Remind me again what is so bad about 7 consecutive playoff appearances whether you win or lose before the championship?

You could go the next 7 years without playoffs only to end up in the same exact spot of mediocrity. How many top 5 selections did the Wolves make over the last 7 years only to still be stuck in rebuilding mode?

Good luck. Maybe I was wrong in assuming the 76ers aren't giving fans something they enjoy. Maybe you enjoy the losing. :shrug:

sixer04fan
02-20-2015, 12:45 AM
Let alone the fact that the 76ers were stupid in the first place to sign a 2nd round pick to a 1yr deal. Complete incompetence.

Even the HEAT before they knew what they had signed Whiteside to a 2yr deal. You always sign guys to a 2-3 year non-guaranteed contract. The old management made the same exact mistake just a few years ago with Lavoy Allen and ended up having to give him the bi-annual or MLE or something like that $3M a season because they were stupid. This new management seems to be following in the footsteps.

KJ and his agent wanted this deal. He wanted to be a FA after the season because he knew he was good and was betting on himself. He rejected all of our multi-year offers. Stop making things up.

The Lavoy Allen deal was ********. I agree.

sixer04fan
02-20-2015, 12:50 AM
Remind me again what is so bad about 7 consecutive playoff appearances whether you win or lose before the championship?

You could go the next 7 years without playoffs only to end up in the same exact spot of mediocrity. How many top 5 selections did the Wolves make over the last 7 years only to still be stuck in rebuilding mode?

Good luck. Maybe I was wrong in assuming the 76ers aren't giving fans something they enjoy. Maybe you enjoy the losing. :shrug:

The Sixers made the playoffs a wholeee lot of years in a row (or close to it) after the '01 season but were never true contenders. That was the worst. First round exits year after year. Staying good enough to max the cap and never get high draft picks.

We were sick of it. We want to maximize our chances of building a true championship roster. The worst place to be in the NBA is mediocre.

Nobody likes losing. Don't say stupid things. But many of us are willing to be patient to see if a plan works. Like I said, you don't have to agree with the strategy. Don't worry about us then.

beasted86
02-20-2015, 12:51 AM
KJ and his agent wanted this deal. He wanted to be a FA after the season because he knew he was good and was betting on himself. He rejected all of our multi-year offers. Stop making things up.

The Lavoy Allen deal was ********. I agree.

Its not up to him when firstly you can pay a 2nd round pick anything you want up to the MLE, and you own his draft rights.

You're telling me that if the Sixers offered $3M a year (the amount a top 6 pick gets) non-guaranteed he would have turned down that down still? Sure, maybe he rejected a minimum multi-year offer. The 76ers were below the floor anyway. It's free money.

sixer04fan
02-20-2015, 12:58 AM
KJ bet on himself and he won. He wanted guaranteed money. He's gonna get it now.

He rejected our offers. So the Sixers were dumb for not offering KJ $3M per year mon-guaranteed? Because it's free money anyways, so what's the difference. Right? Got it.

jp611
02-20-2015, 12:58 AM
https://imgflip.com/i/hvjd1

sixer04fan
02-20-2015, 01:06 AM
https://imgflip.com/i/hvjd1

Lol. Pretty much

beasted86
02-20-2015, 01:11 AM
KJ bet on himself and he won. He wanted guaranteed money. He's gonna get it now.

He rejected our offers. So the Sixers were dumb for not offering KJ $3M per year mon-guaranteed? Because it's free money anyways, so what's the difference. Right? Got it.

Seriously, do you hear yourself rationalizing this? Basically what you are saying for them is "If we draft a player and he's better than expected, we'll just trade them away so we don't have to pay them".

What? Just sit and think about that logic and what it means for your teams foreseeable future. You are basically saying drafting good players or potential fringe stars is out of the question. Sixers will tank until they get a generational player which comes along once in 20 years for a franchise through the draft.

But as you say, I don't have to like the strategy. As long as you like it and are on board with paying to help them lose, its all good.

sixer04fan
02-20-2015, 01:15 AM
I already said it's tough to stomach the moves today. To accept that there will be more rebuilding now after what we've been through the last 2 years. I said I understand the strategy and you don't have to agree with it.

And the response to that is "Maybe Sixers fans enjoy losing"? Seriously how bad is your comprehension? Or do you just like trolling Sixers fans?

Chronz
02-20-2015, 01:23 AM
The problem is, what do they even have with Embiid and Noel, and are they even players worth building around?
From what I've seen Noels a game changer defensively and is most definitely a building block worth resigning. Embiid from what I understand anyways, would have been the 1st overall selection had he not getting injured. With the pick they had, and the long term strategy in mind, its well worth the gamble. Thats their goal right now, to find enough of those kind of prospects. Starting off with frontcourt players as the foundation is brilliant IMO.

Problem is compounded by the fact that they both play the same position. Nobody is selling anyone on the idea Noel is a PF. He's a lanky 6'11" Center like Sanders, like Camby.
Not gonna lie, I too get those flashbacks of Ewing/Camby never really starting together. Still, these 2 are significantly younger, Noel has the foot speed to play the 4 and the move would preserve his career long term, but if he never gets that outlet jumper going, they wont be a long term pairing. Thats OK tho, to start their careers neither should be playing heavy minutes and theres more than enough PT for them both.

sixer04fan
02-20-2015, 01:31 AM
Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if Noel gets traded at the draft. I love Noel. He is limited offensively but he is a defensive beast in the making. But if Hinkie thinks Mudiay or Russell could be a true superstar, I think he would consider package Noel and/or the LA pick to get another high pick to take one of them.

Now, beasted86, please continue to rip me about how I love losing and all that, for even thinking this is a possibility.

beasted86
02-20-2015, 01:44 AM
Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if Noel gets traded at the draft. I love Noel. He is limited offensively but he is a defensive beast in the making. But if Hinkie thinks Mudiay or Russell could be a true superstar, I think he would consider package Noel and/or the LA pick to get another high pick to take one of them.

Now, beasted86, please continue to rip me about how I love losing and all that, for even thinking this is a possibility.
Continue to rip you? you call my comments ripping you? I have no need to say anything bad if you've bought into this rebuild and are okay with this being your team for the unknown future. If you are happy with the managements moves then that's all that matters.

You are totally spot on with not expecting any good (not yet great) players like Noel to be retained though. I get it. The 6ers are looking for that jackpot ticket. They rather take that $10k dollar 4+1 powerball partial winner and buy 5,000 more powerball tickets than try and invest it or put a down payment on a mortgage.

Sportfan
02-20-2015, 02:34 AM

I hate the Lakers as much as anyone else but this is a bad comparison. There's tanking and then there's what the Sixers are doing which is much worse. There's nothing wrong with developing the future and dumping players for picks. But KJ McDaniels is #4 on the rookie ladder this year, and they traded him for a pick in the 50's? How can ANY sixer fan justify that trade?

The MCW i can understand from Philly's perspective, but I don't think people understand the culture Philly is developing. Can you honestly see any decent player wanting to sign with Philly without being severely overpaid as long as Hinkie is GM?

Sportfan
02-20-2015, 02:37 AM

But you guys didn't even get value back for him...

Him deciding to do the 1 year deal explains exactly what I'm saying. Guys won't want to play for Philly.

sixer04fan
02-20-2015, 02:46 AM

Him deciding to do the 1 year deal explains exactly what I'm saying. Guys won't want to play for Philly.

Has nothing to do with Philly. He thought he should have been a mid first round pick. He wanted to be paid like one on a guaranteed deal.

Again, I never said I was happy about the trade. And again, I think we sold him short. Jesus lol

Sportfan
02-20-2015, 03:49 AM
Mid first round picks make 1.7M. They couldn't resign him in the offseason?

kozelkid
02-20-2015, 04:10 AM

I actually agree.

That team is seemingly going the same path as Brooklyn was a few years ago. Then again, with Riley's recent drafting history, they'd probably would be wasted picks.

SMH!
02-20-2015, 04:29 AM

ignorant comment, where did it say Kj mcdaniels signed a 1 year deal because he didnt wanna play for philly? He signed a 1 year deal because he thought he should have been a 1st rounder and took a risk on himself and it paid off. Nothing to do with philly.

Kyben36
02-20-2015, 04:55 AM

you know who else was limited offensivly when he came into the league, anthony davis.

Problem is, your team gives up way to easy on the impression that your going to find a super star. here is the problem For 1, your soley trying to explain why these trades our a positive move. let me explain some major negitives,

From a players standpoint, its very dificult to have a player devleop, and motivated, while loosing, especialy like you guys are, take a look at the knicks this year, that team in no way shape or form is getting better due to the down depression of that whole team. if they had a guy like wiggins, that team would still be terrible because of the attitude, wiggins stock would be hurt, and thats the problem,

from the FA point of view, nobody is going to want to play for a team who is soely set on loosing, thats a whole posibility of FA that your throwing out the window. where you could potentially add that allstar type player who can come in and help you. but your rejecting that by your sole notion to build through the draft.

and how about build through trade, if you look at a team like the Nets, they didnt build through the draft, in fact, they build solely through trade, getting an allstart (at the time) PG, having a very good quality center, who is no better than a guy like vucivic at this point, but you have rejected that notion intirely. and how about the Celtics, Building, through the draft. the notion that you think your going to draft an allstar caliber player who can carry your team is very rare indeed.

the problem, is, a team is made up of more than that, way more. in fact, its going to be sad, but without trades, you could have had every role player you need on that team at this point, you already have the #3 pick (as of right now via tanking) so im not sure what your looking for ????. you want a 1 year wonder to fall right in your lap where he is the perfect player day one, then you will start moving foward, or if he isnt, you trade him for future picks.

the 76ers FO will be Torn apart before they make the playoffs again, drafting injured players, drafting BPA and trading them away, or developing players and trading them away, is not a way to win, or keep fans happy, and the fact that a proud basketball town like philly is putting up with it, is actually probably the sadest thing of all, and rationalizing these piss poor decesions, of trading a potential allstar PG for a pick, is rediculous.

Embid, nor noel will ever develop into a player with this sort of mentality in the background of that franchise. Knowing that if he doenst preform for you, he will be booted, its a terrible way to run a team, its a terrible way to make money, because fans wont pay to see a **** roster, that team is going to be loosing money for years to come, hopeing that one day, some draft pick steps up to be jordan day 1.

have fun supporting the worst run sports team in the nba, and possibly in all of sports, they will continue to tank till the FO is rebuilt, because i am willing to bet, this strategy does not work at all.

CELTICS4LYFE
02-20-2015, 07:59 AM
Danny turned a TPE into Tyler Zeller and IT.

A TPE was traded for Zeller Thorton and Cavs 1st.

Zeller has been playing well this season.

The latter was flipped for IT.

Chrisclover
02-20-2015, 08:15 AM
I would pick Philly as losers even though they got the Lakers first, but I don't understand trading McDaniels, a promising young player for basically a future 2nd rounder. Do they plan on actually developing any of their young players, or do they just trade whoever they can for future picks. And what's the point of trading for future picks, if you are just going to trade whoever you pick with those picks for more future picks?

Also, interesting how Suns went from hoarding PGs to trading 3 of them all in one day. Talk about a total 180. I thought they should have at least kept Thomas.
The moves of Suns are just confusing. Last summer they hoarded PGs and now they dump their franchise player in Dragic and ship away his competitor in Thomas. OMG.

Chrisclover
02-20-2015, 08:17 AM
Winners: Miami, OKC and Boston
Losers: Suns, Bucks and Houston
If Dragic mesh with the team well, I see the Heat advance to the semi ECF and may face LeBron. Terrific storyline. BTW, can the Heat say that they now have 4 stars?

LakersIn5
02-20-2015, 08:31 AM
**** the bucks. I wanted them to succeed because brandon knight is one of my favorite players and they are doing really well but they ****ing trade him! And to all places the suns! They could have atleast traded him to a team that i want to make the playoffs. Its not that i hate the suns but i am rooting for okc to get the 8th seed.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Bucks were far apart on a extension to Knight this summer. Woelfel said he talked to two executives last month in the east and west and they both said they pay $12M per to Knight. But that was a month ago. He's probably $15M per now. Also Bucks need shot's to go to Parker andGiannis next season. Knight doesn't like to pass. He looked away from wide open Giannis running to the basket to take a contested jumper plenty of times. Also turns it over and has no court vision. Glad we dodged the bullet of not paying him $15M per. He would of held Parker, Giannis, Middleton back. Also Knight is more of a 6th man combo guard. Not really a pg but he thinks he is. Bucks won last 3 trades in my book.

Jennings for Knight and Middleton
TPE for Dudley and Clippers protected first in 2017
Knight,Marshall for MCW, Ennis, Plumlee

PhillyFaninLA
02-20-2015, 08:50 AM

Both Embiid and Saric might fall into that catagory

Goose17
02-20-2015, 09:10 AM
I'm surprised people think the Suns lost in this. Bledsoe-Knight will be an interesting back court. Could end up really good.

TheIlladelph16
02-20-2015, 10:50 AM
I love all of the Sixers hate lol. This was always going to be a 3-5 year rebuilding process and we are only in Year 2. Fans of other teams (looking at you Knicks & Lakers fans) should more concerned about what it means for their franchise when their management actually tried to put a winning team on the court and ended up right there with the Sixers.

MCW being traded has been essentially a foregone conclusion for a while now. There's been rumors of it for the last year. While he is a very good defensive point guard and really didn't have much around him on offense, he is a turnover machine and is one of the worst shooters in the league at his position. Trading for the pick is certainly a gamble with the Lakers protection on the picks, but it also have massive upside. As much as it will pain some Sixers fans (myself included), MCW was not a cornerstone piece for this franchise.

The KJ situation is even simpler. KJ was on a one year deal and Philly had no intention of matching what will likely be large overpay of a contract this off season so they traded him.

cheetos185
02-20-2015, 11:01 AM
I love all of the Sixers hate lol. This was always going to be a 3-5 year rebuilding process and we are only in Year 2. Fans of other teams (looking at you Knicks & Lakers fans) should more concerned about what it means for their franchise when their management actually tried to put a winning team on the court and ended up right there with the Sixers.

MCW being traded has been essentially a foregone conclusion for a while now. There's been rumors of it for the last year. While he is a very good defensive point guard and really didn't have much around him on offense, he is a turnover machine and is one of the worst shooters in the league at his position. Trading for the pick is certainly a gamble with the Lakers protection on the picks, but it also have massive upside. As much as it will pain some Sixers fans (myself included), MCW was not a cornerstone piece for this franchise.

The KJ situation is even simpler. KJ was on a one year deal and Philly had no intention of matching what will likely be large overpay of a contract this off season so they traded him.
If sixers don't like paying what will they do after 2016 when second tier players will get 18-24 mil dollars per year.

Sportfan
02-20-2015, 11:07 AM
I actually agree.

That team is seemingly going the same path as Brooklyn was a few years ago. Then again, with Riley's recent drafting history, they'd probably would be wasted picks.
Yeah, Riley's draft record isn't great but those picks have massive potential.

The Brooklyn comparison is very good. Everyone thought Deron/JJ/Pierce/KG/brook 5 all star talents was the next big thing, but it failed miserably. Dragic/Wade/Deng/Bosh would have been an awesome core maybe 3 years ago, but in 2014 the team has a lot of injury risk and is going to be stuck with big contracts soon. I don't think people realize Miami might have 4 of their starters become FA's this year. They gambled 2 unprotected firsts for a 1.5 year title window.

ignorant comment, where did it say Kj mcdaniels signed a 1 year deal because he didnt wanna play for philly? He signed a 1 year deal because he thought he should have been a 1st rounder and took a risk on himself and it paid off. Nothing to do with philly.
He was going to be an RFA witha 1.2M qualifying offer either way. Clearly Philly didn't think they could resign him or they didn't want him back even though he's been their best player which is probably an even worse look for the Sixers.

I'm surprised people think the Suns lost in this. Bledsoe-Knight will be an interesting back court. Could end up really good.

The Suns might not have lost in value per say, but the logic behind their trades is questionable. Ok so you deal Dragic because you don't want to pay him. Fine. THen you trade the guy you S&T'd for last year that forced him out and is supposed to be his replacement in IT whose on a affordable contract for a mid 20s pick in a weak draft next year? Weird, but at least it looks like they have a plan to rebuild and go for the future. But then they turn around and trade the Lakers pick which is their best asset to get Brandon Knight whose worse than Dragic and is also going to command big money this offseason? They admit the 3 PG experiment has failed, so why would u trade to get another combo guard instead of getting a prototypical 2 guard or even a forward which they could use. Their trades just seem to be lateral moves and I'm not sure if they got better, they're now banking on Miami collapsing in a few years, when the probability of the Lakers being being top 10 and conveying to them was very high

TheIlladelph16
02-20-2015, 11:08 AM
If sixers don't like paying what will they do after 2016 when second tier players will get 18-24 mil dollars per year.

I'm sure when there is a player worth signing to a contract like that, they will. Or they'll use their financial flexibility and myriad of assets to acquire a young, potential superstar ala James Harden and sign him. If you believe KJ McDaniels is really in that second tier of players though, you haven't watched him enough.

cheetos185
02-20-2015, 11:14 AM
I'm sure when there is a player worth signing to a contract like that, they will. Or they'll use their financial flexibility and myriad of assets to acquire a young, potential superstar ala James Harden and sign him. If you believe KJ McDaniels is really in that second tier of players though, you haven't watched him enough.
You do know James harden type of players don't grow on trees lol

TheIlladelph16
02-20-2015, 11:18 AM
You do know James harden type of players don't grow on trees lol

I'm curious where I mentioned a magical tree that grows superstar basketball players in my post....? The NBA is the easiest league to facilitate trade in and the Sixers will have a TON of assets by next season alone. Certainly its not a simple matter to find and acquire a superstar, but plenty of superstars have been traded in the past (CP3, Melo, Harden to name a few).

2-ONE-5
02-20-2015, 11:24 AM
the KJ deal sucks but we did get a decent PG back with the pick in Cannan and he is likely to get 3-5 mil depending on how he impacts the Rockets if they give him a big enough role off the bench

ThuglifeJ
02-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Bucks are so dumb I don't care about the contact situation they just picked up a pretty bad player for their best player this season. They were actually competitive in the East too, their fans were even starting to somewhat hey excited and they pull this move? Strange.

Interesting to hear Karl say Andre Miller is a hof point guard again, he just love that guy too much.

A big loser here has to be Houston. They came in seriously wanting and expecting one of Bosh, Lebron, or Dragic. Heck even Isiah Thomas, Knight, Jackson would have been big pickups for them compared to nothing.

Dragic would have been HUGE for them. Not gonna lie, I didnt want to see that happen and wow and I happy he shot to Miami instead. That would have been a lethal fit.

beasted86
02-20-2015, 12:02 PM

I get that you want to support your team and all, but weren't you just saying a few weeks ago that the MCW trade rumors were a smokescreen to get the Magic to overpay for Payton? Which one is it?

You guys were saying next year would be your last of tanking and you would be pushing playoffs in the16-17 season. Now it's a 5 year rebuild process. Which one is it?

Nobody knows what the Sixers are doing or their line of thinking is in culture development, team play style philosophy, or what their true vision is long term of what level of success is acceptable when this is all done. In the short term what we know though is they are intent on stock piling draft picks even if it means giving up good players, and want to keep the payroll low. That's it.

KnicksorBust
02-20-2015, 12:02 PM

If you had left out the part where you baited Knicks and Lakers fans for no reason this would be have been a good post. I agree with the vast majority of what you said. I'm really impressed with everything I've heard/read out of Hinkie.

KnicksorBust
02-20-2015, 12:06 PM
Yeah, Riley's draft record isn't great but those picks have massive potential.

The Brooklyn comparison is very good. Everyone thought Deron/JJ/Pierce/KG/brook 5 all star talents was the next big thing, but it failed miserably.

How did Brooklyn fail miserably? They knocked out the Raptors in the 1st round and then lost in the 2nd round to the defending champion Miami Heat. If Brook Lopez had actually been healthy maybe that's a close series. Just look back at how Roy Hibbert man-handled the Heat 2-3 seasons.

Sactown
02-20-2015, 01:09 PM
How did Brooklyn fail miserably? They knocked out the Raptors in the 1st round and then lost in the 2nd round to the defending champion Miami Heat. If Brook Lopez had actually been healthy maybe that's a close series. Just look back at how Roy Hibbert man-handled the Heat 2-3 seasons.

They completely mortgaged their future for the next 4 years on a team that had two seriously injury prone players (D-Will and Lopez) and two players that were extremely passed their prime and were fallling apart (mainly KG, but pierce too) ..

All for one playoff series victory? That's a big time fail and they'll be paying for it for the next three season with the death tax that comes with it

2-ONE-5
02-20-2015, 01:13 PM
I get that you want to support your team and all, but weren't you just saying a few weeks ago that the MCW trade rumors were a smokescreen to get the Magic to overpay for Payton? Which one is it?

You guys were saying next year would be your last of tanking and you would be pushing playoffs in the16-17 season. Now it's a 5 year rebuild process. Which one is it?

Nobody knows what the Sixers are doing or their line of thinking is in culture development, team play style philosophy, or what their true vision is long term of what level of success is acceptable when this is all done. In the short term what we know though is they are intent on stock piling draft picks even if it means giving up good players, and want to keep the payroll low. That's it.

that was me and i still stand by it. The way Hinkie made it sound today was that he never actually put MCW on the block and that teams called him about MCW literally after his first game and he has turned down dozens of offers since but felt this one was a big offer and couldnt turn it down bcuz its not often a pick that high is traded. I still dont like the trade and think its a big gamble but i still trust hinkie at the moment, also KJ being dealt was a direct result of MCW going and needing a PG not bcuz of his contract situation. Apparently we targeted Cannan at 35 and he went 34 leading us to take KJ so im sure in their heads its a relatviely equal deal

futureman
02-20-2015, 01:13 PM
Utah losers???? Surely you jest. They can give the MAX to Gobert and not lose him in free agency had they kept Kanter. I'm surprised they got a 1st rounder for him. The Jazz now have 7 picks in the 2017 nba draft.

Sportfan
02-20-2015, 01:22 PM

Really KoB? They were expected to be a top 2 team in the dreadful east and a title contender. They traded 3 1sts and a option to swap another for 3 guys who aren't on the team 1.5 years later. Considering they have the lowest TV ratings in the NBA, the owner is trying to sell the team, no cap space, and the fact that they swap their first this year with the #1 Hawks plus have 3 more firsts to surrender I can't recall a team in the past decade in a worse position than the Nets right now. Maybe Eddy Curry Knicks.

Miami might be following that model with this trade. They've traded 4 future 1sts, one that is mid teens this year and 2017 and 2021 have very little protection. Bosh is owed 5/110 or something crazy like that and he maybe out for the season. They have no choice but to sign Dragic to the max considering the price they paid. Deng/Whiteside/Wade could all be FA"s at the end of the year and they have no depth to start with. Riley better hope this team gels quickly.

TheIlladelph16
02-20-2015, 02:02 PM

I believe you are thinking about a different poster, as I don't believe I've ever commented on the Payton trade with regards to MCW (at least not on PSD).

I've maintained from the beginning that this is a 3-5 year rebuild, so you can direct those complaints to the fans who said otherwise. It's been pretty open from management that this isn't going to be a quick fix, so I don't know why anyone would think otherwise. They are in a position now where you could see them make a leap quickly in years 3-5 if they use their assets correctly.

Your entire last paragraph is basically nonsense. Their developing a ****load of talent currently, even with MCW and KJ being gone. They aren't just trading everyone for more draft picks. Of course they want to keep payroll low, it allows them to play their young talent significant minutes, develop them, and use that cap space to acquire additional picks for literally nothing when teams need to dump players like McGee. I personally see a pretty clear vision and many other fans do as well.

If you had left out the part where you baited Knicks and Lakers fans for no reason this would be have been a good post. I agree with the vast majority of what you said. I'm really impressed with everything I've heard/read out of Hinkie.

You're right to call me on that one. It was inappropriate and unneeded. It's just frustrating seeing many fans from those teams criticizing the Sixers before the season and even now for their strategy. It wasn't really intended for all fans of those teams, just the fanatics on this board.

beasted86
02-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Really KoB? They were expected to be a top 2 team in the dreadful east and a title contender. They traded 3 1sts and a option to swap another for 3 guys who aren't on the team 1.5 years later. Considering they have the lowest TV ratings in the NBA, the owner is trying to sell the team, no cap space, and the fact that they swap their first this year with the #1 Hawks plus have 3 more firsts to surrender I can't recall a team in the past decade in a worse position than the Nets right now. Maybe Eddy Curry Knicks.

Miami might be following that model with this trade. They've traded 4 future 1sts, one that is mid teens this year and 2017 and 2021 have very little protection. Bosh is owed 5/110 or something crazy like that and he maybe out for the season. They have no choice but to sign Dragic to the max considering the price they paid. Deng/Whiteside/Wade could all be FA"s at the end of the year and they have no depth to start with. Riley better hope this team gels quickly.

Miami traded 3 future first round picks and 2 in this recent deal, 1 still outstanding from the LeBron deal 4 years ago.

And no, I don't care about mid to late 1st round picks when they are getting you Norris Cole and Shabazz Napier caliber players.

The Nets traded multiple first round picks for a 31, 35 and 37yr old. The HEAT traded over the last 4 years and the next 4 years a combined 6 first round picks for a prime 25 yr old LeBron James, 26 yr old Chris Bosh, and 28 yr old Goran Dragic. The idea that you liken the two teams use of picks to facilitate trades is utterly stupid. Not baiting at all, just stating the facts here.

astrosmaniac
02-20-2015, 02:13 PM
Bucks are so dumb I don't care about the contact situation they just picked up a pretty bad player for their best player this season. They were actually competitive in the East too, their fans were even starting to somewhat hey excited and they pull this move? Strange.

Interesting to hear Karl say Andre Miller is a hof point guard again, he just love that guy too much.

A big loser here has to be Houston. They came in seriously wanting and expecting one of Bosh, Lebron, or Dragic. Heck even Isiah Thomas, Knight, Jackson would have been big pickups for them compared to nothing.

Dragic would have been HUGE for them. Not gonna lie, I didnt want to see that happen and wow and I happy he shot to Miami instead. That would have been a lethal fit.

seriously, this is just Houston hate on your part. on what grounds can you claim the Rocket's wanted and expected Bosh or Lebron at the trade deadline? That's just absolute ********. Yeah, the rockets were interested in Dragic, so was 1/3 of the league, but the price was way too high and the suns found someone willing to take that risk (see numerous posts in here calling Heat's trade for dragic very risky)

The rockets would have liked to get a player who could create more from the point, but none of the guys that make sense were really available for a price the rockets could/felt comfortable paying. Isaih Thomas wouldnt really fit next to harden for the same reason he didn't really work out great in PHX; Knight is a SG, MCW is probably a better trade chip than anything the rockets were willing to move, and Knight's going to get double digit $$ in FA this year; Jackson wants to run the offense on his own team and turned down 12 mil a year.

Really the only big name guy who got moved who the rockets should be wanting was Dragic and another team made a better offer than we could. Not saying the rockets won the deadline, just no way they can be losers

C_Mund
02-20-2015, 02:33 PM

I agree with the part about Philly's assets. Just out of curiosity, who do you consider to be the next player of Harden's caliber that will be shipped out before his prime?

valade16
02-20-2015, 02:43 PM
People keep saying Philly has a 3-5 year plan and that they are only in year 2.

If this is year 2 then I've got news for you, it is more like a 5-9 year plan than a 3-5 because the idea that they will be even close to competitive next season is outlandish.

More-Than-Most
02-20-2015, 02:55 PM

If this is year 2 then I've got news for you, it is more like a 5-9 year plan than a 3-5 because the idea that they will be even close to competitive next season is outlandish.

could have 4 top 20 first round picks next year including 2 lottery picks.. Have 3 top lottery picks with huge potential on team and have more money then anyone to sign free agents.

beasted86
02-20-2015, 03:34 PM

This.

beasted86
02-20-2015, 03:38 PM
could have 4 top 20 first round picks next year including 2 lottery picks.. Have 3 top lottery picks with huge potential on team and have more money then anyone to sign free agents.
Tell me, when was the last time a team literally full of rookies did anything good?

I keep making the comparison to the early 2000 Clippers and Timberwolves the last 7 years, but you guys don't like those comparisons.

I'd rather one or two top tier rookies and the rest vets to show them the ropes. The Sixers literally have no vets around the team. The vets that are traded there don't even want to report.

But as long as you fans believe in this rebuild strategy and keep paying for the games, then it's all good. Hinkle and the owner should stick to the plan.

Sportfan
02-20-2015, 03:40 PM
They've had 4 lotto picks in the past 2 years. How's that doing for them?

Miami traded 3 future first round picks and 2 in this recent deal, 1 still outstanding from the LeBron deal 4 years ago.

And no, I don't care about mid to late 1st round picks when they are getting you Norris Cole and Shabazz Napier caliber players.

The Nets traded multiple first round picks for a 31, 35 and 37yr old. The HEAT traded over the last 4 years and the next 4 years a combined 6 first round picks for a prime 25 yr old LeBron James, 26 yr old Chris Bosh, and 28 yr old Goran Dragic. The idea that you liken the two teams use of picks to facilitate trades is utterly stupid. Not baiting at all, just stating the facts here.
That logic is idiotic, just because your team doesn't draft well doesn't devalue the value of the pick.

The Heat's pick isn't going to be late first anytime soon. That's a close to lotto pick right now.

When did I mention the Lebron or Bosh trades? I'm talking about the present, and what the Dragic trade did to cripple their flexibility. They forced themselves to compete for the next half dozen years and it's going to lead to mediocrity with the way their salary cap figures to be.

brewboy288
02-20-2015, 03:51 PM
The Bucks did what they needed to do to continue rebuilding. They made it a point to finally have a player or two to build around in Giannis and Parker. Knight was going to chase the money. The Bucks were talking contract all season long and he wasn't signing. Getting MCW will give them two more years of pure raw talent at PG, as well as giving them the option to lock up Giannis and Parker before signing MCW, rather than having to lock him up first and risk not being able to afford Parker and Giannis. On the court Knight was a score first guy. With Giannis and Parker being the scorers that they are, the Bucks needed a pass first PG that can get those guys the ball. MCW was a great pick up. Not to mention he also brings size. Which makes the Bucks defense even more deadly. In that trade they also picked up Larry Sanders' replacement. (Not saying its long term). Picking up Plumlee was a very underrated move for a few reasons. It will allow them to play John Henson at PF full time, which is where he belongs IMO, and it gives them a real center that is under the age of 35 that can play at the same pace as the rest of the team. Larry Sanders is another thing that they took care of. A guy that was taking up a lot of money, a roster spot, and causing problems in the locker room, as well as negative attention in the media. They'll stull have to pay around 2 million for the next 5 years, but its a lot better than the 11 million he was owed before the buyout. That all being said, I think the Bucks were one of the biggest winners at the deadline. I would say the Thunder were the biggest winner, and the Rockets were the biggest losers.

2-ONE-5
02-20-2015, 03:55 PM
Tell me, when was the last time a team literally full of rookies did anything good?

I keep making the comparison to the early 2000 Clippers and Timberwolves the last 7 years, but you guys don't like those comparisons.

I'd rather one or two top tier rookies and the rest vets to show them the ropes. The Sixers literally have no vets around the team. The vets that are traded there don't even want to report.

But as long as you fans believe in this rebuild strategy and keep paying for the games, then it's all good. Hinkle and the owner should stick to the plan.

well we do have 2 vets in Richardson (whose going to be playing again lol) and Mbah boute

beasted86
02-20-2015, 03:56 PM

That logic is idiotic, just because your team doesn't draft well doesn't devalue the value of the pick.

The Heat's pick isn't going to be late first anytime soon. That's a close to lotto pick right now.

When did I mention the Lebron or Bosh trades? I'm talking about the present, and what the Dragic trade did to cripple their flexibility. They forced themselves to compete for the next half dozen years and it's going to lead to mediocrity with the way their salary cap figures to be.
You mentioned 4 draft picks (which is wrong anyway since its 3) basically counting what's still owed from the LeBron trade 4 years ago for the upcoming 2015 draft. So, yes, you are mentioning LeBron and Bosh trades in essence.

If you are talking about the Dragic trade only, the HEAT lost 2 first round picks and menial role players for the one major flaw in the starting line-up. All reasonable assumptions say this improves the team for the immediate future, including up to that 2017 pick. It isn't out of line to say that pick will not likely be a lottery pick, a 15-30 pick gets you a lot more Norris Coles than players of legit franchise altering value. The only thing up for debate is how good or bad they will be by 2021 since that is much longer down the road. That's the only critical thing up for debate.

Nonetheless basically based on one potentially high draft pick given away should warrant comparisons to the Nets? I stand by what I said in that being a stupid comparison. Every single pick there Nets will be giving away or waived the right to swap will be a lottery pick for this year and at least the next 3 years.

2-ONE-5
02-20-2015, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=Sportfan;29639739]They've had 4 lotto picks in the past 2 years. How's that doing for them?

2 that are left on the roster are favorites to be 2 best players from each class, Saric is a toss up. so the answer is TBD but you knew that

More-Than-Most
02-20-2015, 04:30 PM

pretty good considering we still have arguably 2 of the best player from 2 of the 4 drafts and another extremely high potential guy coming over soon from the 3rd draft.... the other draft we got MCW which people screamed was a meh prospect because of how crappy the draft was... we dumped him for probably another lottery pick

Jamiecballer
02-20-2015, 04:31 PM
not the winner, but i consider the Raptors A winner for staying patient.

b_russ
02-20-2015, 04:53 PM
Ramon Sessions, 7 teams in 7 years. Is he the Drew Gooden of point guards?

2-ONE-5
02-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Ramon Sessions, 7 teams in 7 years. Is he the Drew Gooden of point guards?

Thomas Robinson is trying hard to top that

b_russ
02-20-2015, 05:23 PM
I'd have to say the Jazz are losers here. The argument that I've heard in their defense is that given Kanter's situation (restricted free agent going to ask for big money in the offseason, demanding a trade) they got the best that they could.

Comparing overall talent between Reggie Jackson and Kanter, IMO it could be a toss up to who is better or more valuable. With that point, they were both in the exact situation yet it seems clear that the Thunder got a lot more in return for Jackson than the Jazz did for Kanter. Both teams needs were very different, but OKC seemed to get what they needed while Utah came up short.

I'll probably get some homer hate for the Kanter/Jackson comp, but doesn't it seem like OKC got a lot back and Utah received very little in similar circumstances? Another point could be the bidding war for Jackson between Detroit and Brooklyn, which may not have been the case for Kanter.

b_russ
02-20-2015, 05:31 PM
Thomas Robinson is trying hard to top that

Nice, better comparison. Almost drafted at the same spot too (4th and 5th) whereas Sessions (drafted 56th) understandably should be bounced around. Actually impressive he's stayed in the league considering where he was picked.

I liked Robinson coming out of the draft and still hope that he realizes his potential on team he can contribute on (that's not to say he hasn't had his chances already.) With his buyout, his and his agent's mindset shouldn't be about money or living situation but fit and opportunity because he could be out of the league soon if he's not careful.

FraziersKnicks
02-20-2015, 05:47 PM
2 that are left on the roster are favorites to be 2 best players from each class, Saric is a toss up. so the answer is TBD but you knew that

I would hardly say Noel is the favourite to be the best player from that class. I would take Oladipo, McLemore, Giannis and Plumlee over him as of now and probably put Dieng and Gobert on par with him. I just see zero offensive game from him.

As for Embiid, the jury is still out, but there is no way he's the favourite to be the best player from 2014. The guy hasn't even stepped on an NBA court, whilst Wiggins and Parker have shown some great flashes.

From all the tanking of the Sixers all they have to show for it is two fragile big men, one who's ceiling looks like Marcus Camby, some european guy (we know how much of a crapshoot they are) and a few more draft picks. I just can't see where they're gonna turn the corner.

ThuglifeJ
02-20-2015, 09:50 PM

seriously, this is just Houston hate on your part. on what grounds can you claim the Rocket's wanted and expected Bosh or Lebron at the trade deadline? That's just absolute ********. Yeah, the rockets were interested in Dragic, so was 1/3 of the league, but the price was way too high and the suns found someone willing to take that risk (see numerous posts in here calling Heat's trade for dragic very risky)

The rockets would have liked to get a player who could create more from the point, but none of the guys that make sense were really available for a price the rockets could/felt comfortable paying. Isaih Thomas wouldnt really fit next to harden for the same reason he didn't really work out great in PHX; Knight is a SG, MCW is probably a better trade chip than anything the rockets were willing to move, and Knight's going to get double digit $$ in FA this year; Jackson wants to run the offense on his own team and turned down 12 mil a year.

Really the only big name guy who got moved who the rockets should be wanting was Dragic and another team made a better offer than we could. Not saying the rockets won the deadline, just no way they can be losers

They were supposed to get Bosh this offseason. And a few others. That's why they initially dropped Parsons upped contract.

Where were you?

Vinylman
02-20-2015, 10:05 PM
exactly, and no telling where that pick ends up, your talking about a ROY a few years back in MCW, the Lakers will own their own pick this year more than likely, meaning that between Kobe, Randall, Hill, 2015 1st round pick, and a potential FA signing this offseason, that team, might be pretty good come 2016, so, if the pick ends up a 10th pick, is MCW, prior ROY, work the 10th pick, IMO, i think i would take proven MCW over potential of a pick you cant control. plus, no telling which draft, or where, or how good that draft is, its a major risk.

omfg... you sound like a Lakerfanboy even though you aren't ... the Lakers will suck again next year... that pick will be lotto (easily top 8 based on record)... there is no chance in hell the Lakers make the playoffs next yea

Kobe is done and the FO is a joke.

Signed...

Life Long Laker Fan

SF8
02-21-2015, 06:27 AM

Dragic is way better than Rondo. Dragic isn't a complete liability at shooting the ball and has good size plus less mileage on him because he hasn't played so many minutes (he was a backup early in his career) so age won't effect his game for a while.

Don't compare Goran and Rondo, that's just wrong.

SF8
02-21-2015, 06:28 AM

Dragic is way better than Rondo. Dragic isn't a complete liability at shooting the ball and has good size plus less mileage on him because he hasn't played so many minutes (he was a backup early in his career) so age won't effect his game for a while.

Don't compare Goran and Rondo, that's just wrong.

SF8
02-21-2015, 06:29 AM

They traded the LAL pick + Tyler Ennis (a true PG, something lack and someone who they didn't even give playing time to due to abundance of guards on roster) for a player who is going to be a FA (Knight) in 3 months.

astrosmaniac
02-21-2015, 07:26 PM
They were supposed to get Bosh this offseason. And a few others. That's why they initially dropped Parsons upped contract.

Where were you?

I know all bout the offseason, but i fail to see how them missing out on bosh 6 months ago has to do with evaluating their trade deadline. It's irrelevant to the discussion and you only brought it up because you like to rag on houston any chance you get.

Synyster89
02-22-2015, 11:19 AM
I would hardly say Noel is the favourite to be the best player from that class. I would take Oladipo, McLemore, Giannis and Plumlee over him as of now and probably put Dieng and Gobert on par with him. I just see zero offensive game from him.

As for Embiid, the jury is still out, but there is no way he's the favourite to be the best player from 2014. The guy hasn't even stepped on an NBA court, whilst Wiggins and Parker have shown some great flashes.

From all the tanking of the Sixers all they have to show for it is two fragile big men, one who's ceiling looks like Marcus Camby, some european guy (we know how much of a crapshoot they are) and a few more draft picks. I just can't see where they're gonna turn the corner.

You would take Ben McLemore over Nerlens??? McLemore has been horrible and provides nothing but mediocre offense in the 25-30 minutes he plays. Nerlens is already elite defensively and is the only players since David Robinson to average 1.5 steals AND blocks in a rookie season. I could see an argument for Oladipo, Giannis, Gobert, and maybe Plumlee...but McLemore is ridiculous.

Also, Embiid was largely the consensus #1 pick before the injury and arguably has the most upside along with Wiggins so to say Embiid is "no way the favorite" is a pretty big stretch.

Nothing to show for it? I guess premium draft picks don't count anymore. Furthermore, Noel has rarely missed any games this year due to injury. Many of his missed game were due to illness so how is he fragile? Who knows if Embiid will be fragile during his career...he hasn't even played yet so how do you know the injury will even continue to give him problems?

JEDean89
02-22-2015, 02:58 PM
76ers future relies entirely on their ability to draft superstars, something they so far haven't been able to do so far. Embiid has potential, but he has a history of knee, back and foot injuries and thats really scary for a big man. Noel looks as advertised but certainly no better and its hard to envision him putting on the weight for the C position or the speed and quickness for the PF. They'll probably end up drafting Mudiay or Russell, who will be a good pick for them, but is Mudiay really that much better than MCW? I don't know the answer to that question. I think they'll be good, but I don't think the 76ers fan base will allow them to trade any more of their guys for future assets. Eventually Hinkie is going to have to produce a product. If Kidd turns MCW into a legit player (like he did knight) Hinkie is gone.

2-ONE-5
02-22-2015, 04:09 PM
Noel already has the ability to defend 4's. But however MCW turns out has no bearing on Hinkies job i dont know why u would think that

kobe4thewinbang
02-22-2015, 09:06 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/2/22/8085415/tayshaun-prince-detroit-pistons-trade-boston-celtics-stan-van-gundy-buyout

It's business, but that is kind of a dick move by Danny Ainge. Now, Prince has to play with the Pistons, where you'd think he'd enjoy himself after the success in the past, but clearly not the same as his ideal scenario of a buyout with the Celtics and then signing on the cheap with a title contender.

Thoughts? Is Prince just SOL, and should make the best of it? Can't blame a guy for wanting to go out big, though.

Chrisclover
02-24-2015, 11:27 AM
**** the bucks. I wanted them to succeed because brandon knight is one of my favorite players and they are doing really well but they ****ing trade him! And to all places the suns! They could have atleast traded him to a team that i want to make the playoffs. Its not that i hate the suns but i am rooting for okc to get the 8th seed.
Not rooting for the Suns and rooting for OKC are not mutually exclusive. The suns are now in a state of flux by parting ways with their 2 decent PGs, which will help OKC to make up grounds.

Chrisclover
02-24-2015, 11:31 AM
The key word here is "could end up " it's now a critical time to fight for a playoff spot and sending 2 major guards away certainly throws the wrench to the team chemistry. I guess the FA is fed up with Dragic bleat about his lesser role and at the same time doesn't have faith in Thomas. The tank plan is jumpstarted.

KnicksorBust
02-24-2015, 06:41 PM
Little late on the response but didn't want to ignore these replies directed at me.

They completely mortgaged their future for the next 4 years on a team that had two seriously injury prone players (D-Will and Lopez) and two players that were extremely passed their prime and were fallling apart (mainly KG, but pierce too) ..

All for one playoff series victory? That's a big time fail and they'll be paying for it for the next three season with the death tax that comes with it

Here's my issue with this rebuttal. If you were the GM of a team with D-Will and Lopez what would you have done? Just packed it in and said we can't win with these guy? I'm completely in favor of them making a push in the hopes of the health of their two stars. Running a team with the premise "we will get injured" never will get you anywhere.

See here's where I fundamentally seem to disagree with you and Sactown. I don't believe injuries should earn GMs bad grades. In his first 5 seasons... Brook Lopez played 82, 82, 82, 5, 74. To me that sounds like a healthy player who had one injury. The fact that he only played 17 games and 0 playoff games the year they went "all in" sounds more like a case of bad luck than anything else.

I hate what they have done recently but I loved their plan last year.

valade16
02-24-2015, 07:07 PM
As Philly fans say, they are in year 2 of the rebuild. The question is, when do they expect this strategy to build a contender? I think we can all agree it likely won't happen next year or the year after, so that means this rebuild is, at the soonest, a 5 year payoff.

If it doesn't work out they will have spent their last 10 years essentially being the Knicks. Their intention of trying to build a contender will have counted for nothing. Essentially, these years of hardship are only worth it retroactively if they do indeed build a winner. If they don't then they will have sucked for a long time.

NYJ - NYY
02-24-2015, 10:40 PM
Winners

Portland, AA brings alot, and they did not give up the boat to get him, a late pick, a bench big, and a few others, but nothing substantial. very good move bringing in a quality starting caliber wing, who can also defend

Nets- trading KG for That young, you get a quality player for a player who should have retired 3 years ago.
great move

Knicks- Shaved + picks for Priggs, is a good deal, shaved has some potential moving forward.

Timberwolves- got worse to improve draft stock, brang back kg to retire, and get some vet leadership. like the move overall, Young was not going to make or break that team anyway

Boston- Not going to say i like it, but gave up little for this little guy. he is a good player, Isaiah thomas should make fans forget about rondo

Detroit- like the regie jackson trade, he is better than Augustine and they didnt trade much else

Houston- Got two quality players in mcdanials and prigioni for nothing.

Neutral

OKC- Alot of people will have them as winner, but hold on, Jackson was essentially traded for Kantar which the Thunder, cant really aford to bring him back post this year (on a contract year, and no bird rights), think that was dumb, strait up dumb, that why a guy on a long contract like lopez made much more sense. You also got augustine, which helps, but if in the end you traded jackson for augustine, its a bad move, this year, it looks great, just saying, long term it might not be so great. also, they have given up a tone of picks over these past few trades,

Pheonix- not sure what to say, trading dragic for two late first round picks and 2 old SFs , trading thomas for KNight, while swaping the LAL pick for the Cleveland pick, i dont see upgrades, i see picks, this will determine the outcome, and i dont think the LAL pick will be a good move

Philly, not sure if to call them winners or loosers, but getting the LAL pick, the OKC Pick, but trading 2 quality players in mcdanials and Carter williams, time will tell based on their picks.

Pelicans- gave up salmons of a PG and a guy they will cut, not great, if cole helps but not that much

Milwalkee- not sure if a buy the Knight to MCW idea, i like Knight more, personally, but time again will tell if MCW can be better than Knight.

Miami- Contract says it all, if they overpay him as a 20 mil player, bad deal, if not, good deal. he is a starting caliber pg who can really help solidify that team, but two first round picks, and that much cap space could kill them in the future, good overall starting lineup now though. they could have offered him 20 mil over the offseason and probably out paid everyone for hi services.

Sacramento and Washington- combining these two, because, both dont make that much sense, Andre miller was good on washingtons team, and i dont think this swap helps either team.

Loosers

Denver -esentially gave up mcgee and affalo for nothing, cause the transfer of picks really offset. not sure where that team is going. (giving up okc to move mcgree, bringing in Por)

Utah,- yea, kantar for a late round pick, not a great move. should have goten more for him.

Great write up... 3 things though, Jackson was traded for Augustine? Jackson was traded for kanter? And kanter was traded for a late round pick?

2-ONE-5
02-25-2015, 10:17 AM
As Philly fans say, they are in year 2 of the rebuild. The question is, when do they expect this strategy to build a contender? I think we can all agree it likely won't happen next year or the year after, so that means this rebuild is, at the soonest, a 5 year payoff.

If it doesn't work out they will have spent their last 10 years essentially being the Knicks. Their intention of trying to build a contender will have counted for nothing. Essentially, these years of hardship are only worth it retroactively if they do indeed build a winner. If they don't then they will have sucked for a long time.

it was never supposed to be a quci fix, we have been to since day 1 its gonna be 5+ to see a contender give or take. What threw people is these KJ and MCW trades bcuzmany of us belived we could potentially compete for a playoff spot next year, and def make it the following year