PDA

View Full Version : Heat expected to resign Dragic to 5 year 100 million dollar mil max contract

spreadeagle
02-19-2015, 07:11 PM
Goran Dragic wanted to go to Miami, and he got his wish in a six-player trade. But Dragic has an opt-out this summer, and the Heat wouldn’t have given up two first-round picks for him if they weren’t planning on re-signing him. And according to ESPN.com’s Ramona Shelburne, they’re expecting to pay a lot of money to keep him around:

"The Heat would not have done this trade for Dragic without feeling good that he re-signs this summer. Expectation is he'll get a 5-year max
4:35 PM - 19 Feb 2015"

Dragic absolutely makes the Heat better, and making this trade was the right thing to do. He’s a borderline All-Star in the West, and Miami is upgrading from the dumpster fire that was the Mario Chalmers/Norris Cole rotation in the backcourt. Playing with another guard as dynamic and ball-dominant as Dragic could also extend Dwyane Wade‘s career, which is a major concern for the Heat given his health concerns in recent years.

But a five-year max deal worth upwards of $100 million seems steep, even with the salary cap expected to rise in 2016 with the influx of new TV money. He went to one of only a handful of teams (the Knicks and Lakers being the others) that isn’t already set at point guard, so he could command that kind of money. But even if the salary cap in two years is north of $90 million, the Heat will be paying Chris Bosh $22.1 million that season, meaning Dragic and Bosh together could equal almost half the cap.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/19/report-heat-expect-to-re-sign-goran-dragic-to-max-contract/

beasted86
02-19-2015, 07:21 PM
The HEAT don't need to bid against themselves, hopefully. I'd like a non rising deal of like $18M flat X 5 years.

GiantsSwaGG
02-19-2015, 07:22 PM
20 mill for him lol.

Verbal Christ
02-19-2015, 07:30 PM
holy crap that is crazy money for Dragic

Ty22Mitchell
02-19-2015, 07:37 PM
Would the 20 million per stay put if the cap is increased? Because if the projections of the new salary cap (after the current CBA) are correct, 20 million will be a fair deal.

(I would like to be on the record that I DO NOT believe Dragic is a max player).

Laker Legend42
02-19-2015, 07:40 PM
The heat have two very good building blocks for the future. The dragon at the point and whiteside to anchor the defense.

DillyDill
02-19-2015, 07:42 PM
Can't blame them lakes were expected to offer same thing

dtmagnet
02-19-2015, 07:42 PM
I can't believe what the NBA has become when a player like this can make 20 million a season and people aren't outraged.

GiantsSwaGG
02-19-2015, 07:46 PM
I can't believe what the NBA has become when a player like this can make 20 million a season and people aren't outraged.

That's nothing compare to what Jackson is going to make (15+)

Goose17
02-19-2015, 07:47 PM
100 million and living in Miami... dude just won the lottery.

jerellh528
02-19-2015, 07:48 PM
Lol wayyy too much money. The cba hasn't increased yet, and won't for two years. Don't pay him according what what the cba will increase to, pay for his market value right now and it's not 20 mil haha

GiantsSwaGG
02-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Dragic went gangsta on Pat

slaker619
02-19-2015, 07:51 PM
Great player, but not worth all that money plus he's 29 !

goingfor28
02-19-2015, 07:51 PM
Wowzers

Ty22Mitchell
02-19-2015, 07:56 PM
Lol wayyy too much money. The cba hasn't increased yet, and won't for two years. Don't pay him according what what the cba will increase to, pay for his market value right now and it's not 20 mil haha

The market says he's worth 20 million right now. There are multiple teams who are willing (assuming the reports are true) to give him 20 a year.

GiantsSwaGG
02-19-2015, 07:58 PM
The market says he's worth 20 million right now. There are multiple teams who are willing (assuming the reports are true) to give him 20 a year.

Only team I saw that would give him that amount were the Lakers, maybe the Knicks (pray not) but glad we didn't trade 2 future 1st for a player they could of had in free agency. 4 yr 80 was bad enough but 5 yrs 100? Damn

Verbal Christ
02-19-2015, 07:58 PM
30 yr old dragic is a building block?

GiantsSwaGG
02-19-2015, 08:00 PM

Lol well he will be 29 but yeah

leprechaun5
02-19-2015, 08:00 PM
Unless they think they can win it all this season i don't like the move if i'm a heat fan. Gave up 2 future first rounders to overpay Dragic. That's no good IMO.

More-Than-Most
02-19-2015, 08:05 PM
and this is why I think the Rockets dodged a Bullet... Good luck heat you are ****ing yourselves.

GiantsSwaGG
02-19-2015, 08:06 PM
and this is why I think the Rockets dodged a Bullet... Good luck heat you are ****ing yourselves.

Lakers and Knicks dodge that bullet also

More-Than-Most
02-19-2015, 08:07 PM

This... I wonder who is laughing harder at this the lakers/knicks or rockets Gm

Ty22Mitchell
02-19-2015, 08:11 PM
Only team I saw that would give him that amount were the Lakers, maybe the Knicks (pray not) but glad we didn't trade 2 future 1st for a player they could of had in free agency. 4 yr 80 was bad enough but 5 yrs 100? Damn

It only takes one other team to drive a player's price up. If there's 2 teams who are willing to pay him 20 per, then his market value is 20. I thought the Lakers, Knicks, and Heat were the teams that were wiling to pay him the 20 million. I may be wrong, but I think that's wha I read the last few days.

I totally agree that giving up first round picks for players that can be had in free agency is dumb. IDK why Pat is going all in on a roster that has absolutely no shot of getting out of the EAST. Are those picks protected?

GiantsSwaGG
02-19-2015, 08:16 PM
It only takes one other team to drive a player's price up. If there's 2 teams who are willing to pay him 20 per, then his market value is 20. I thought the Lakers, Knicks, and Heat were the teams that were wiling to pay him the 20 million. I may be wrong, but I think that's wha I read the last few days.

I totally agree that giving up first round picks for players that can be had in free agency is dumb. IDK why Pat is going all in on a roster that has absolutely no shot of getting out of the EAST. Are those picks protected?

And teams bite and end up overpaying.

And you're right

Dragic
Wade (aging/decline)
Deng (declining/opts out at seasons end)
Bosh (Isn't getting any better)
Whitesite (better pray he keeps his play up)

Nice starting 5 but small window

Goose17
02-19-2015, 08:24 PM
I don't think giving up the picks are an issue. Likely to be end of the first round and Miami don't draft well anyway.

Big Zo
02-19-2015, 08:31 PM
Unless they think they can win it all this season i don't like the move if i'm a heat fan. Gave up 2 future first rounders to overpay Dragic. That's no good IMO.
The Heat have always preferred to build around free agency, and trades. They've never given a crap about draft picks.

GodsSon
02-19-2015, 08:41 PM
Good player, but he's not worth that much and that contract will cripple the Heat in 2 years.

leprechaun5
02-19-2015, 08:48 PM
The Heat have always preferred to build around free agency, and trades. They've never given a crap about draft picks.

Good luck with 100+ million Dragic.

KnicksorBust
02-19-2015, 08:49 PM

Why not go all in? You are going to waste Wade and Bosh at the end of their prime? I love the trade. Great move Riley.

Big Zo
02-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Good luck with 100+ million Dragic.
No one said this is a done deal. Besides, salary cap is supposed to increase a ton in 2016.

flgatorsandjags
02-19-2015, 08:54 PM
Great player, but not worth all that money plus he's 29 !

great player?

leprechaun5
02-19-2015, 08:54 PM
Why not go all in? You are going to waste Wade and Bosh at the end of their prime? I love the trade. Great move Riley.

They haven't shown any glimpse of being great this year and i don't think Dragic can make them better than Bulls, Cavs, Hawks. I don't mind the deal if he had remaining years with let's say 10-12M per year but they have to overpay him starting next season while giving up 2 future firsts.

FraziersKnicks
02-19-2015, 08:55 PM
:laugh2: I want the Knicks to stay as far away from that as possible.

I think a fair deal for him would be about 4 years, $50-55m... About $13-14m per year.

ATX
02-19-2015, 08:57 PM
I love how some people seem to think Pat Riley is an idiot or something. The Heat are still in win now mode. They aren't tanking and planning a long arduous rebuild a la Philly, etc..Riley is doing his best to surround Wade with the best he can, so that he isn't stuck on a team like Kobe is with the current Lakers. Granted, in no way do I think Dragic is worth what is hypothesized in this thread. Let's just wait and see what the actual offer is, and how Dragic fits into his new team first.

D-Leethal
02-19-2015, 08:58 PM
You are worth what somebody is willing to pay you.

Cal827
02-19-2015, 09:00 PM
Gonna be horrible deal next season, but not so bad in the next years.

Dragic is a very good PG (as we saw last season). He'll now be on a team where the schemes would involve him more than just a jump shooter.

Also, it's not like he wouldn't get it as a FA. As people have mentioned, you know that the Lakers/Knicks were interested in him, and for an agent, those are probably the best two teams you could have in a bidding war for your client's services lol

This would probably be what it would be like for him:

http://media.giphy.com/media/13TJrRNMTIn9G8/giphy.gif

GiantsSwaGG
02-19-2015, 09:03 PM
No one said this is a done deal. Besides, salary cap is supposed to increase a ton in 2016.

That's in 2 yrs and that's not a done deal

GiantsSwaGG
02-19-2015, 09:07 PM
Gonna be horrible deal next season, but not so bad in the next years.

Dragic is a very good PG (as we saw last season). He'll now be on a team where the schemes would involve him more than just a jump shooter.

Also, it's not like he wouldn't get it as a FA. As people have mentioned, you know that the Lakers/Knicks were interested in him, and for an agent, those are probably the best two teams you could have in a bidding war for your client's services lol

But that's the thing, if another team is willing to overpay then let them overpay. Dragic was only good that season because he was the only scoring option. He's a really good player, but with a declining wade, 30 + yr old bosh this deal might come back to bite them. They have no bench and Dragic alone doesn't make them title contenders, I doubt they'll get out the 1st round.

KnicksorBust
02-19-2015, 09:07 PM

They haven't shown any glimpse of being great this year and i don't think Dragic can make them better than Bulls, Cavs, Hawks. I don't mind the deal if he had remaining years with let's say 10-12M per year but they have to overpay him starting next season while giving up 2 future firsts.

#1) You dont think but you dont know. Anything can happen in the playoffs.
#2) What is the alternative to getting back in contention? Wait out Bosh and Wade? Why not take the sure fire way to instantly acquire a legit All-Star at the MOST GLARING POSITION OF NEED.

leprechaun5
02-19-2015, 09:15 PM
#2) What is the alternative to getting back in contention? Wait out Bosh and Wade? Why not take the sure fire way to instantly acquire a legit All-Star at the MOST GLARING POSITION OF NEED.

One of them is not overpaying players. You can get a lot in this league while giving unprotected first rounders. (James Harden for example).

Kyben36
02-19-2015, 09:20 PM
Peronally, i think he is going to be jeremy lyn 2.0, now that he is off the team he succeded with, he will be better than lyn, but if they are paying him 20 mil a year, he will surely not live up to that.

Cal827
02-19-2015, 09:20 PM
But that's the thing, if another team is willing to overpay then let them overpay. Dragic was only good that season because he was the only scoring option. He's a really good player, but with a declining wade, 30 + yr old bosh this deal might come back to bite them. They have no bench and Dragic alone doesn't make them title contenders, I doubt they'll get out the 1st round.

..... Then they upset the Raptors, and the Knick army bum-rushes our forum :laugh2:

You're right, it could backfire, but Miami kinda has to make a move. If I'm not mistaken, they don't have first rounders over the next couple years, including one that could leave with a fairly low protection (I think top 10 protected, so that could very well transfer if they do badly). Assuming they don't do anything this year, they'll probably just stay a lower seed next year, then go all in. Only Dinosaur, Mcbob and Napier's contracts run through 2016. I can't see Wade wanting a huge contract, and they'll probably move that money to go after Whiteside. With the large cap expected in 2016, they should be able to revamp the roster again.

:laugh2: Cue the Lebron-Miami part 2 hopefuls.

Ty22Mitchell
02-19-2015, 09:24 PM
I love how some people seem to think Pat Riley is an idiot or something. The Heat are still in win now mode. They aren't tanking and planning a long arduous rebuild a la Philly, etc..Riley is doing his best to surround Wade with the best he can, so that he isn't stuck on a team like Kobe is with the current Lakers. Granted, in no way do I think Dragic is worth what is hypothesized in this thread. Let's just wait and see what the actual offer is, and how Dragic fits into his new team first.

I don't think anyone here would disrespect Pat by calling him an idiot. However short of adding another a true superstar, the Heat are a middle of the pack team (too good to tank, and too bad to win). And not to demean anyone, but they're essentially a capped out asset-less team, with a roster of "second bananas (scottie pipmann, pau gasol, manu, james worthy, etc)."

archdevil84
02-19-2015, 09:24 PM
the only thing that remains to do for riley now is get ray ray to resign :laugh:

Utd7
02-19-2015, 09:27 PM
Don't be surpried if Riley convinces him to take a moderate pay cut instead of the full max. I think it's safe to say whatever Dragic makes next season, Riley won't forfit the opportunity to have financial flexibility in 2016. He wants to go after Durant.

ATX
02-19-2015, 09:36 PM
I don't think anyone here would disrespect Pat by calling him an idiot. However short of adding another a true superstar, the Heat are a middle of the pack team (too good to tank, and too bad to win). And not to demean anyone, but they're essentially a capped out asset-less team, with a roster of "second bananas (scottie pipmann, pau gasol, manu, james worthy, etc)."

I agree with you, they are a middle of the pack team. You never know who can get hot in the playoffs though. This keeps Miami competitive for this season and most likely next, and then that true #1 you're talking about is Riley's goal in 2016. At least that's what it appears to me.

Ty22Mitchell
02-19-2015, 09:37 PM

Idk what Pat's goals are, but if winning championships is one of them then this team should be blown up. They need a superstar, not another really good player. The problem is that the next one isn't available for two years, and by that time Wade will be 35. Pat is building a solid 5 to 6th seed at this point.

meloman1592
02-19-2015, 09:49 PM
For that price I'm happy Knicks didn't get him

NYKnickFanatic
02-19-2015, 09:59 PM
Lmao holy ****

Ty Fast
02-19-2015, 10:02 PM
He deseves kyle lowery money or maybe a tiny bit more bit not much more. Please pat don't give him $100 million.

KnicksorBust
02-19-2015, 10:24 PM

One of them is not overpaying players. You can get a lot in this league while giving unprotected first rounders. (James Harden for example).

The Heat didnt have the assets to package for a James Harden. This was basically the absolute best player available for the type of package they could put together and he plays the exact position they need.

ATX
02-19-2015, 10:25 PM
Idk what Pat's goals are, but if winning championships is one of them then this team should be blown up. They need a superstar, not another really good player. The problem is that the next one isn't available for two years, and by that time Wade will be 35. Pat is building a solid 5 to 6th seed at this point.

Well, ya know, I mean, that's the position the Heat find themselves in. They went with Bosh, then Dragic, Then who knows in 2016, and lets not forget about Wade here. Granted he is injured a lot, but when healthy he is still playing at an All Star level. How can you find fault in a GM doing his best now with the team rather than tanking it for a rebuild, especially when you have Wade. It's not like the Heat don't have a playoff team either. Besides, Riley still has the rest of the season to witness whether he wants to invest long term in Dragic and at what price or not.

KnicksorBust
02-19-2015, 10:27 PM

LOL. See and this is why no one should ever ***** and moan about a team like the Sixers trading players like MCW or KJ McDaniels to "tank." You have people like this poster who believe a team with Wade, Deng, and Bosh should be blown up.

KnicksorBust
02-19-2015, 10:28 PM
You make the absolute most out of the end of Wade and Boshs prime and you try and make a run in the weak East. Love it.

leprechaun5
02-19-2015, 10:34 PM
You make the absolute most out of the end of Wade and Boshs prime and you try and make a run in the weak East. Love it.

As i said earlier good luck with 100+ million Goran Dragic.

Chronz
02-19-2015, 10:37 PM

Whiteside changes everything man. Hes truly been a revelation and if he continues his level of play (moreso on the defensive end), they are contenders.

J_M_B
02-19-2015, 10:49 PM

This.

I don't understand how most posters here can't see that .. Do you expect him to wait around for 2016, which isn't even a gaurentee, to make a move?

KnicksorBust
02-19-2015, 10:51 PM

As i said earlier good luck with 100+ million Goran Dragic.

I hate the Heat. Why are you wishing me good luck? :laugh:

Its almost like you want even admit he makes them better. He changes them from first rouns fodder to a potential ECF team. All of the top East teams have warts.

justinnum1
02-19-2015, 10:58 PM
5/100 in 2015 is going to be 5/140 in 2016. get used to it

and lol to the knicks fans trying to be relevant

J_M_B
02-19-2015, 10:58 PM
& nobody knows what Riley is going to offer him anyways, but it wouldn't be the first time Riley has persuaded a player to take less. Pat loves his centers and isn't going let Whiteside walk away cause he overpaid Dragic.

archdevil84
02-19-2015, 10:59 PM
i would rather have them try and compete in the eastern conference, whether they make it to the finals or not, then to be a harcore disgusting tank team like philly is right now. I mean come on, how can you feel any excitement left for this team when its almost a guarantee they wont be doing anything in the next 5 years. Look at how the bucks turned it around from last season and take lesson from that

Dade County
02-19-2015, 10:59 PM
He'll get 15mil a year with a increase to 20mil...

Pat got this.

beasted86
02-19-2015, 11:03 PM
i would rather have them try and compete in the eastern conference, whether they make it to the finals or not, then to be a harcore disgusting tank team like philly is right now. I mean come on, how can you feel any excitement left for this team when its almost a guarantee they wont be doing anything in the next 5 years. Look at how the bucks turned it around from last season and take lesson from that

Exactly. I was really getting annoyed that people were saying the HEAT should dump everybody and just lose, even if they are just a laugh in the 1st round.

I would probably give up being a fan with an owner/GM approaching the team management like the 76ers. Literally nothing to watch. Maybe you might have even tuned into the games to say "Hey, this team stinks, but it will be fun to see MCW grow before my eyes".... gone... traded. Do they really and honestly expect people to pay to go to their games?

mightybosstone
02-19-2015, 11:08 PM
I have always loved Dragic as a player, but if Miami signs him to that deal, they're going to be the new Brooklyn Nets in like a year or two. That's seriously a horrible idea.

ChitownSports16
02-19-2015, 11:09 PM
Ouch....

hidalgo
02-19-2015, 11:16 PM
way too much for Dragic. 5 years 60 million should be the max for him

leprechaun5
02-19-2015, 11:20 PM
I hate the Heat. Why are you wishing me good luck? :laugh:

Its almost like you want even admit he makes them better. He changes them from first rouns fodder to a potential ECF team. All of the top East teams have warts.

Of course he makes them better, i never said that he doesn't make them better. I can't see them beating any of Bulls, Cavs, Hawks though. It's the price they pay for him that doesn't make this a good deal.

J_M_B
02-19-2015, 11:20 PM
I have always loved Dragic as a player, but if Miami signs him to that deal, they're going to be the new Brooklyn Nets in like a year or two. That's seriously a horrible idea.

I think that's a reach. Bosh, McRoberts, and Napier are the only players under contract past 2016

McRoberts is on a team friendly deal and Napier will still be on his rookie contract. Bosh is overpaid, but his style of play should allow his game to age well

GiantsSwaGG
02-20-2015, 12:02 AM
way too much for Dragic. 5 years 60 million should be the max for him

This

Laker Legend42
02-20-2015, 12:17 AM
This trade is being characterized as both fascinating and the riskiest trade since KG and pierce were dealt to the nets in a story on ESPN.com. Pat Riley is a smart dude. I would be shocked to find out that he made this deal without any assurances from goran dragic. Those moves are reserved for jim and Mitch.

Ty22Mitchell
02-20-2015, 12:23 AM
LOL. See and this is why no one should ever ***** and moan about a team like the Sixers trading players like MCW or KJ McDaniels to "tank." You have people like this poster who believe a team with Wade, Deng, and Bosh should be blown up.

This is my first post goinf against the grain. If their goal is to WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP, then yes that team should be blown up.

10 or 12 years ago when LA lost to Detroit, I said to everyone who would listen that the Lakers should hang on to Shaq, Karl, and Gary to make one more run. I was wrong then. Mitch made the right decision to keep Kobe. Because of those events I am a firm believer that when a group of guys look done, they're done. The Spurs are an anomaly.
I would have done exactly what Pat did last off season. That team went to 4 straight finals. They deserved a chance try to win without LBJ. You obvious ly let them finish the season out, but I don't foresee a deep playoff run. If you want to be a mediocre team for 5 years, then rebuild for 5-7 more years, go right ahead. I'm not interested in that. I believe you pull the bandaid off.

If everyone wants to call me "dumb" or a "clown", I'm cool with that.

Laker Legend42
02-20-2015, 12:24 AM
30 yr old dragic is a building block? if the heat plan to max this dude plus what they gave up to get him someone at Miami Heat headquarters thinks so.

THE MTL
02-20-2015, 12:42 AM
I guess deals are going up with the anticipation of the new cap already. Which makes the long term contacts of Bledsoe, Melo, Bosh, and Hayward look like bargains.

THE MTL
02-20-2015, 12:43 AM
For that price I'm happy Knicks didn't get him

Me too.

Lakers + Giants
02-20-2015, 01:10 AM
Could be the 3rd bullet we've dodged.

:o

Sadds The Gr8
02-20-2015, 01:30 AM
Awful if it happens

Tony_Starks
02-20-2015, 01:32 AM

Told you the other day don't sleep on Riley to snag him....

Its not such a horrible idea when you think long term. After the new TV deal salaries are going up across the board. His contract will be just like Klay Thompson's, everyone will cry about it at first then later on it will actually look very reasonable....

FlashBolt
02-20-2015, 02:07 AM
With the amount of PG's in the market, this is just awful. I like how Miami got him and he will definitely make them a more legitimate team but $20m? That's insane.

rockets-fan
02-20-2015, 04:26 AM
Good for him I guess. I really wanted him in Houston but at a max? No thanks

KnicksorBust
02-20-2015, 06:18 AM

This is my first post goinf against the grain. If their goal is to WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP, then yes that team should be blown up.

10 or 12 years ago when LA lost to Detroit, I said to everyone who would listen that the Lakers should hang on to Shaq, Karl, and Gary to make one more run. I was wrong then. Mitch made the right decision to keep Kobe. Because of those events I am a firm believer that when a group of guys look done, they're done. The Spurs are an anomaly.
I would have done exactly what Pat did last off season. That team went to 4 straight finals. They deserved a chance try to win without LBJ. You obvious ly let them finish the season out, but I don't foresee a deep playoff run. If you want to be a mediocre team for 5 years, then rebuild for 5-7 more years, go right ahead. I'm not interested in that. I believe you pull the bandaid off.

If the Heat arent talented enough to compete and should be blown up then that basically means 50% of the nba should be blown up and that is just absurd.

GoferKing_
02-20-2015, 07:06 AM
Talking about destroying the market... I guess the lockout didn't change a thing...

Goose17
02-20-2015, 07:29 AM
With the cap going up and based on what he showed us last year I'm not surprised by this.

I mean last year people were genuinely arguing about Dragic V Harden. If he can get back to his 20/6/3 on 40% from deep then a couple years from now this will look like a good deal (given the cap changes). He'll need to be the guy running the offense for that to happen though. The only query is his age, but that isn't a huge issue. Most players hit their peak in their late twenties and start to drop off in their early 30s. So his contract will be running out when he's like 32/33 around the time he's began to decline.

This is really a 2, maybe 3 year window they're operating in. Riley is going all in.

Interestingly, Miami have enough pieces that they could potentially make another trade during the offseason if one of the free agents decides he wants to skip town and their team is open to an S&T (better to get something back than nothing). Most free agents would be happy to live in Miami and now that they have Dragic-Bosh (if healthy) they're going to be quite competitive in the East.

treeleaf
02-20-2015, 07:41 AM
lowry>dragic

lol 100 mirrion

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-20-2015, 08:16 AM
5/$100M is too much. So you better hope Wade stays healthy. Yeah weak east its playoffs but how far? Also at age 29 his best days are behind him most likely. Better hope for a couple good years out of the 5 for $20M per. That be hard to trade later if he regresses fast.

Ty22Mitchell
02-20-2015, 08:36 AM
If the Heat arent talented enough to compete and should be blown up then that basically means 50% of the nba should be blown up and that is just absurd.

I'm unsure what you mean by "compete." (The context is shaky and I don't want to put words in your mouth/keyboard). The Heat are talanted enough to; win games, to market their players nationally, to play competitive basketball, to sell tickets, to make Mickey a lot of money, etc. If Pat is happy with those things then there is nothing wrong with keeping those guys together.

What I'm saying is they're NOT talanted enough for an NBA championship, and if that is Pat's main goal then he should blow it up. I would reconsider doing so if they made strong playoff run (2nd round, game 6).

Also if Pat wants to enter the KD sweeptakes, then he should keep the team together. (That's the kind of guy they need to be a top 4 team).

FraziersKnicks
02-20-2015, 09:49 AM
5/100 in 2015 is going to be 5/140 in 2016. get used to it

and lol to the knicks fans trying to be relevant

Lol at Heat fans trying to justify giving a 29 year old player with career averages of 12 and 5 $100m

ATX
02-20-2015, 10:17 AM
Lol at Heat fans trying to justify giving a 29 year old player with career averages of 12 and 5 $100m

Ya, LOL at the Heat...As if the Heat are a laughing stock of the league. Take a look in the mirror. Besides, have you seen this contract? Is it already drawn up? Has it been signed? In the past three seasons when given actual starter minutes, Dragic is a 17 and 6 player, and fills the biggest need for the Heat. Why don't you worry about your own squad...Besides, I think the overwhelming general consensus even from Heat fans in this thread is that 100/M is too much. I just don't understand why you feel the need to incessantly put the Heat down for this move, that every writer I've come across calls a win for Miami.

nycericanguy
02-20-2015, 10:22 AM
It's a lot to give up for Dragic, paying him $100m is one thing, but giving up two 1st's AND paying him $100m?

Tough call... I'm curious to see how Dragic does in a slower paced offense and conference. He put up good numbers in PHO but they have always been one of the faster paced teams in the league.

FraziersKnicks
02-20-2015, 10:27 AM
Ya, LOL at the Heat...As if the Heat are a laughing stock of the league. Take a look in the mirror. Besides, have you seen this contract? Is it already drawn up? Has it been signed? In the past three seasons when given actual starter minutes, Dragic is a 17 and 6 player, and fills the biggest need for the Heat. Why don't you worry about your own squad...Besides, I think the overwhelming general consensus even from Heat fans in this thread is that 100/M is too much. I just don't understand why you feel the need to incessantly put the Heat down for this move, that every writer I've come across calls a win for Miami.

Justinnum1 bought the Knicks into it and was trying to make it seem as if it's a good deal. I don't have a problem with the other Heat fans who are more realistic about it.

I think Dragic makes them a much better team but he's not worth any more than $12-14m per, especially when you factor in he's gonna be 29 when he signs the deal. Reports are saying it could be 5 years, $100m. This is a thread discussing that. There was no mention of the Knicks. If someone brings my team into it of course I'm going to get defensive.

Just to clarify I'm not putting the Heat down for this move, gives them a very strong starting 5. I'm putting down the posters who are trying to justify him deserving $100m when he's nearly 30 and has had a few good seasons. I highly doubt he would get anywhere close to 20/6 in Miami with Wade and Bosh sharing the shots with him.

beasted86
02-20-2015, 11:18 AM

Why does a rebuild take 5-7 years? Is it possible you are compensating for inept ownership by rationalizing tanking? Or am I just spoiled as a HEAT fan that in 25 years of basketball the longest the team has been out of the playoffs was 3 years, and that was the first 3 years during expansion? Maybe it's the latter and I'm just lucky and have warped expectations.

A team should be able to retool or go through a 3 year turn around like the Rockets. Any team that takes 7 years to rebuild is simply run by idiots. There is some luck involved in all this, but there is a science to the risk management in each GM's team building theory.

I also think that not enough people realise that the risk management is far more difficult going through the draft to start a team from scratch. Somewhere somehow the media has convinced people that losing and losing hard is the only way to build a team. Managing a lower tier playoff team and then trying to pounce on the right piece when it comes along to put you over the top is a bad thing and impossible to get right.

Heatcheck
02-20-2015, 11:27 AM
theres a lot of overreaction going on, if you take a step back, youll realize that Bosh is in his prime and we don't know how much longer wade will last, or how long whiteside will be there, or be there at that price either. they have legit size upfront next year, with whiteside, bosh, and mcroberts, good perimeter defense, and scorers like wade and bosh, and deng whos always been great all around. the window is next year or the one after.

YAALREADYKNO
02-20-2015, 11:28 AM
there done anyways Bosh is out for the rest of the yr with bloodclots in his lungs

Heatcheck
02-20-2015, 11:29 AM
plus, dragic plays 2 years, if things don't pan out, wade will probably retire, we blow it up, he becomes the focal point on the perimeter. he can then pad his stats a bit, and be traded as an expiring contract or something. win win I think.

LanceUpperCut
02-20-2015, 11:34 AM
plus, dragic plays 2 years, if things don't pan out, wade will probably retire, we blow it up, he becomes the focal point on the perimeter. he can then pad his stats a bit, and be traded as an expiring contract or something. win win I think.

You mean if you re-sign him. Dragic is a 100% going to opt out and be a FA at seasons end.

beasted86
02-20-2015, 11:35 AM
It's a lot to give up for Dragic, paying him $100m is one thing, but giving up two 1st's AND paying him $100m?

Tough call... I'm curious to see how Dragic does in a slower paced offense and conference. He put up good numbers in PHO but they have always been one of the faster paced teams in the league.

The HEAT finally have the ball handler to increase the tempo a bit. Dragic also hasn't had two pick and roll pick and pop finishers like Bosh and Whiteside to play with either so there is the unknown optimistic side to counter your unknown pessimistic side.

He has thrived with a bunch of shooters like Frye and others but this could open up the floor in other ways now.

Heatcheck
02-20-2015, 11:39 AM
You mean if you re-sign him. Dragic is a 100% going to opt out and be a FA at seasons end.

I guess, my cousin hasn't returned my crystal ball yet. but im thinking an eastern European would do pretty well with 20 million dollars a year on south beach.

Sly Guy
02-20-2015, 08:28 PM
I like Dragic, but not at $20mil/per. Wow.

Vinylman
02-20-2015, 08:44 PM
It is funny to see all this speculation about salaries because it is based on one assumption... that under the next CBA that the REAL top players will still be capped out like they are now... i doubt that continues... i can see guys like Lebron/Durant/Davis's getting 50% of the cap.

If that is the case you aren't going to want to have guys like Dragic making $20 million per year

Bruno
02-20-2015, 08:55 PM
The heat have two very good building blocks for the future. The dragon at the point and whiteside to anchor the defense.

dragic is surprisingly old, hell be 29 by next years playoffs. if bosh is out, thatll be miamis first chance to be competitive with this new core. i guess it keeps miami interesting for a while depending on Wade, but this probably knocks them out of championship contention until the Wade/Bosh/Dragic trio is off the books, or traded. when its time to resign Whiteside, he'll eat up the rest of the cap.

although for right now, if bosh is around and Wade can have a good playoff run Miami would be a scary match up for Cleveland.

Vinylman
02-20-2015, 08:58 PM
dragic is surprisingly old, hell be 29 by next years playoffs. if bosh is out, thatll be miamis first chance to be competitive with this new core. i guess it keeps miami interesting for a while depending on Wade, but this probably knocks them out of championship contention until the Wade/Bosh/Dragic trio is off the books, or traded. when its time to resign Whiteside, he'll eat up the rest of the cap.

although for right now, if bosh is around and Wade can have a good playoff run Miami would be a scary match up for Cleveland.

not really ... people need to quit lying to themselves... Cleveland will continue to add pieces and will steamroll the east as long as Lebron is there

Bruno
02-20-2015, 09:08 PM
not really ... people need to quit lying to themselves... Cleveland will continue to add pieces and will steamroll the east as long as Lebron is there

when LBJ was with Miami in 2012 they got to play a sub .500 team in the first round. it's easier to win the championship when you dont have to exhaust yourself in the early rounds. obviously Cleveland or any other team who fought for HCA doesn't want to see a starting five of Dragic, Wade, Deng, Bosh and Whiteside in the first round.

Vinylman
02-20-2015, 09:29 PM
when LBJ was with Miami in 2012 they got to play a sub .500 team in the first round. it's easier to win the championship when you dont have to exhaust yourself in the early rounds. obviously Cleveland or any other team who fought for HCA doesn't want to see a starting five of Dragic, Wade, Deng, Bosh and Whiteside in the first round.

wade is irrelevant at this point because of his health, Deng is quickly becoming poop and who knows what will happen with Bosh....

People just don't understand how fast windows close on teams and players...

Lebron will continue to recruit sychophants which will become easier under the new CBA in a couple of years... betting against him is futile

Bruno
02-20-2015, 10:21 PM
wade is irrelevant at this point because of his health, Deng is quickly becoming poop and who knows what will happen with Bosh....

People just don't understand how fast windows close on teams and players...

Lebron will continue to recruit sychophants which will become easier under the new CBA in a couple of years... betting against him is futile

I never said I'd bet against Cleveland vs Miami. just that Cleveland would prefer a lesser opponent in round one. Wade and Deng are still solid NBA players, far from irrelevant. you're exaggerating to make a point.

obviously their championship window has closed. doesnt mean you want to face them in round one.

Vinylman
02-20-2015, 10:30 PM
I never said I'd bet against Cleveland vs Miami. just that Cleveland would prefer a lesser opponent in round one. Wade and Deng are still solid NBA players, far from irrelevant. you're exaggerating to make a point.

obviously their championship window has closed. doesnt mean you want to face them in round one.

Again, by next year Cleveland will be coasting through the east. I don't ever really see Miami as an 8 seed they will either be a 4/5 or have massive injuries and not even make the playoffs...

It is game over once the new CBA is approved and Lebron can put his new super team together

numba1CHANGsta
02-20-2015, 11:25 PM
This guy isn't even worth 10 mil/yr, he isn't a superstar, he isn't an all-star, heck he isn't even a true PG, this guy averages less than 5 assists/game for his career! MIA are screwed for the next 5 years with Wade's brittle body, Bosh's health concerns, and Dragic's overrated status

More-Than-Most
02-20-2015, 11:56 PM
This guy isn't even worth 10 mil/yr, he isn't a superstar, he isn't an all-star, heck he isn't even a true PG, this guy averages less than 5 assists/game for his career! MIA are screwed for the next 5 years with Wade's brittle body, Bosh's health concerns, and Dragic's overrated status

Id take him maybe for 12 mill max but I think lately he has been getting really overrated. This seriously helps out the knicks/lakers/rockets for not being ******** and spending this for him

BKdoubleStacker
02-21-2015, 01:07 AM
lol at Pheonix GM Donough, this guy is so full of himself, glad dragic left.

Kashmir13579
02-21-2015, 01:22 AM
Why is anyone surprised he's making this much.. this is the NBA, people. Dragic has earned it just as much as the next overpaid player.

Tony_Starks
02-21-2015, 01:47 AM
Why is anyone surprised he's making this much.. this is the NBA, people. Dragic has earned it just as much as the next overpaid player.

Man you know people on PSD act like they're actually cutting the check themselves. Its people around here still disgruntled over the Rudy Gay trade and theyre not even Kings fans. Same with Joe Johnson.....

SF8
02-21-2015, 06:33 AM

Remember how old Steve Nash was when the Suns signed him in 2004 to a big contract? He then went on to win multiple MVPs and All Star in many years.

Ty22Mitchell
02-21-2015, 08:53 AM
Obviously Pat didn't know this when he made the move, but it's looking like Bosh is out the year. How does Goran, Wade, Deng and White fair for the rest of the season? Can they still make it to round two?

Dade County
02-21-2015, 10:23 AM
Obviously Pat didn't know this when he made the move, but it's looking like Bosh is out the year. How does Goran, Wade, Deng and White fair for the rest of the season? Can they still make it to round two?

Child please...

It goes without saying that Riley & Dragic agent spoke about what they needed top speak about. Some of you posters are fools if you believe other wise.

The entire situation with Dragic and the suns to me was orchestrated; the only team that they could trade Dragic to was the HEAT in that 48hr time span (because of Dragic list, and he wouldn't give another team an opportunity to sign him).

Whatever the contract is, Pat and Goran agents around agreed upon it.

Corey
02-21-2015, 10:59 AM
Who cares? The TV deal is going to kick up salaries anyways.

Corey
02-21-2015, 11:01 AM

OMG lets use career averages to ***** a player that progressed at a late age that makes a TON of sense.

Also, I know this is really hard to deal with, but did anyone ever think his role in Phoenix was to be the go-to scorer last year, hindering his assist numbers? He went from averaging 8A per 36 to 6 per 36, with more shot attempts the previous two years in Phoenix.

His role changed, not his ability.

Ty22Mitchell
02-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Child please...

It goes without saying that Riley & Dragic agent spoke about what they needed top speak about. Some of you posters are fools if you believe other wise.

The entire situation with Dragic and the suns to me was orchestrated; the only team that they could trade Dragic to was the HEAT in that 48hr time span (because of Dragic list, and he wouldn't give another team an opportunity to sign him).

Lol, I was trying to facilitate the discussion, not trying to prove a point. My question was asking the thread how they think the Heat will fair w/o Bosh, and if Goran is enough to compensate for his Chris's absence.

Idk what you're even arguing (troll?), because "Obviously Pat didn't know this when he made the move (in reference to the Chris Bosh blood clot)" is a pretty innocuous quote.

Vinylman
02-21-2015, 02:45 PM
Lol, I was trying to facilitate the discussion, not trying to prove a point. My question was asking the thread how they think the Heat will fair w/o Bosh, and if Goran is enough to compensate for his Chris's absence.

Idk what you're even arguing (troll?), because "Obviously Pat didn't know this when he made the move (in reference to the Chris Bosh blood clot)" is a pretty innocuous quote.

he misunderstood you and obviously overreacted

Your point was spot on

SF8
02-22-2015, 05:34 PM
Dragic would be a good person for Kobe to give up the reigns to.

Bulls_fan90
02-22-2015, 06:37 PM
Child please...

He is spot on with everything he has said. You're just embarrassing yourself with such a childish reaction.

Very valid point he made, and was one of the first things I thought about when reading about Bosh.

kobe4thewinbang
02-23-2015, 01:43 AM
Dragic is worth, like, maybe, I dunno, 10 million?

RooBaller
02-23-2015, 04:58 AM
he isnt worth more than about 13 to me

sixer04fan
02-23-2015, 06:28 AM
Didn't the Heat trade 2 first round picks to get him? There's no way they do that unless Dragic has given them his word he'd resign. Otherwise they're idiots.

TheScab
02-23-2015, 02:07 PM
Throw 100 million dollars for 5 years to a 29 year old pg who only averages 4 assists per game and is not even listed in the top 10 at his position:

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/hca/01/06/the-list-top-10-point-guards/

1) Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors

2) Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder

3) Chris Paul, Los Angeles Clippers

4) Kyle Lowry, Toronto Raptors

5) John Wall, Washington Wizards

6) Damian Lillard, Portland Trail Blazers

7) Mike Conley, Memphis Grizzlies

8) Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers

9) Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs

10) Jeff Teague, Atlanta Hawks

Any reason why Dragic who averages 16.1 ppg and 4.0 apg deserves to make more than John Wall who averages 17.1 ppg and 10.1 apg or Russell Westbrook who averages 26.1 ppg and 8.0 apg and they both only make 80 million over 5 years??!!

Dade County
02-23-2015, 02:22 PM
Didn't the Heat trade 2 first round picks to get him? There's no way they do that unless Dragic has given them his word he'd resign. Otherwise they're idiots.

People just like drama, because their lives are boring.

Also, Pat knows what he is doing. I can see the contract stating out at 15mil, then steady increasing. Anyone else can only offer him 80 max, so why would the HEAT over bid themselves. And Florida doesn't have state tax.

The contract wont be what you guys think.

whoisonourteam
02-23-2015, 06:03 PM
I agree Dragic will stay in Miami. I also think that anything more then say 12 million on average for the life of the contract is overpaying.

justinnum1
02-23-2015, 06:50 PM
5/100 in 2015 is going to be 5/140 in 2016.

but please, continue overreacting

ATX
02-23-2015, 07:44 PM
The most any other team can offer is 4/$80M. Miami can max at 5/$100M. I suspect they will offer 5/$90M, and Dragic can take it or leave it. I think 5/$75 is closer to his true value, but come on...NBA players get overpaid all the time. He will get paid one way or the other.

FOBolous
02-23-2015, 11:49 PM
-delete-