PDA

View Full Version : Best article out of ESPN in a while..

sportfan73
02-17-2015, 09:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12318808/the-philadelphia-76ers-radical-guide-winning .. Absolutey perspective changing.

Bruno
02-17-2015, 09:15 PM
I just read earlier today that Sam Hinkie got the GM job by presenting a power point to ownership on the James Harden trade and how brilliant it was. can anyone confirm this?

I've given Philly a lot of crap, but thats just to compensate for the abundance of praise they are going to get starting in 2017.

I've bashed Philly on this forum, but I should stop. they're playing ball, and working with the incentives that the current CBA has provided. if the big guns can't buy talent anymore, then the big guns have to show the rest of the league that they can tank with the best of them. if its as simple as take 3-4 stab in the lottery and rebuild, well then its just a matter of patience and luck for any team, no matter who you are. my inner child doesn't enjoy the fact that the Celtics, Lakers, Knicks and 76ers are irrlevant. Obviously Philly doesn't get big name free agents so they gotta do what they gotta do.

but if we all agree that anything is better than mediocrity, something has to be done with the way the draft works. changes have to be made if this is the common sense common ground that most of the league is noting.

KnicksorBust
02-17-2015, 09:25 PM
They are 12th in the NBA in defensive efficiency with a roster of limited talent unknown players. That's all about effort and working hard. That article was an awesome read.

IndyRealist
02-17-2015, 10:31 PM
I feel bad for guys like Thaddeus Young, who end up being poker chips in these trades to acquire assets. At least the Sixers never try to ruin anyone's career or reputation. But I felt the same way with Rockets players...then they acquired Harden.

I'm glad an article like this highlights just how pervasive analytics is becoming. To paraphrase, making information public is like giving money away for free. But fans, PSDers especially, need to understand that teams are using data to make decisions now. Teams that don't are going to fall behind. It's not to replace coaching and experience, it's to give them new tools to make their players and team better.

kdspurman
02-17-2015, 10:45 PM
I just read earlier today that Sam Hinkie got the GM job by presenting a power point to ownership on the James Harden trade and how brilliant it was. can anyone confirm this?

I've given Philly a lot of crap, but thats just to compensate for the abundance of praise they are going to get starting in 2017.

I've bashed Philly on this forum, but I should stop. they're playing ball, and working with the incentives that the current CBA has provided. if the big guns can't buy talent anymore, then the big guns have to show the rest of the league that they can tank with the best of them. if its as simple as take 3-4 stab in the lottery and rebuild, well then its just a matter of patience and luck for any team, no matter who you are. my inner child doesn't enjoy the fact that the Celtics, Lakers, Knicks and 76ers are irrlevant. Obviously Philly doesn't get big name free agents so they gotta do what they gotta do.

but if we all agree that anything is better than mediocrity, something has to be done with the way the draft works. changes have to be made if this is the common sense common ground that most of the league is noting.

Saw that too, here's the link- http://www.businessinsider.com/sam-hinkie-james-harden-trade-2015-2

They're definitely headed in the right direction.

sixer04fan
02-17-2015, 11:13 PM
We talked about this in the Sixers forum but this was one of my favorite parts of the article about Bynum lol. Such a moron

Their would-be star was a hazardous fit -- sometimes even literally. One day, memorably, the rehabbing big man parked next to Aaron Barzilai, DiLeo's newly hired director of basketball analytics, in the parking lot of the team facility at the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. As Bynum shuffled inside, Barzilai noticed something on their would-be star's custom black Ferrari and called after him. Bynum, it turned out, had driven away from a gas station without removing the pump's nozzle and eight-
foot rubber hose, which he'd dragged, pythonlike, through the street.