PDA

View Full Version : Woj: Draymond Green Interested In Signing With Detroit This Summer

Howard_Zinn
02-17-2015, 04:21 PM
In a looming restricted free agency this summer, Golden State's Draymond Green has a significant interest with pursuing an offer sheet with his hometown Detroit Pistons, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Green has loved playing with the Warriors and winning, and naturally Golden State is determined to find a way to retain him. Still, the Warriors' salary structure almost dictates that Green has to go onto the market and get an offer sheet for them to match in July.

If the offer is too rich to match, the chance for Green to return to his beloved home state where he grew up in Saginaw and played at Michigan State in East Lansing has long intrigued him, sources said. Green still spends most of his time away from the NBA in Michigan.

Within the Warriors, there's a natural hesitation to pay Green more than the below-max extension of Klay Thompson that starts at $15.5 million next season, and Detroit has the motivation and space to complicate matters. Politically, it would be easier for the Warriors to pay Green more than Thompson because of matching an offer sheet that would cause them to lose him, versus simply making the offer themselves.

Detroit will likely lose Greg Monroe to free agency, clearing the way to make an aggressive run at Green. For the Pistons to have a chance to pry Green away, they'll have to be willing to push an offer closer to a maximum contract or perhaps a max to give themselves a real chance to acquire Green.

For the Warriors to find a way to keep Green, they'll have to move David Lee and the $15 million owed him in the 2015-16 season. Ownership has instructed management in Golden State that it doesn't need to find a deal for Lee before the trade deadline, because the organization simply doesn't want to upset the balance and chemistry of a championship contender.

Nevertheless, there are teams with interest in working deals for Lee that would include them receiving assets primarily draft considerations for taking on his salary and those could be options for Golden State before the deadline on Thursday, league sources said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--suns-determined-to-sign-dragic--barring-blockbuster-trade-offer-195235888.html

CluTcH_c1tY
02-17-2015, 04:23 PM
GSW better resign the guy he's become vital to their team's success. He should take a discount to stay in the championship hunt.

KnicksorBust
02-17-2015, 04:25 PM
Draymond Green getting a max. :laugh: That would be a mistake for the Pistons.

Goose17
02-17-2015, 04:27 PM
I get it for him. He's a Michigan guy.

Couple of points, as far as I'm aware the Dubs don't actually have to trade Lee. They can go over the cap to sign Green. Secondly, Dray is an RFA. I have a feeling Warriors front office will match literally any offer.

Pistons might try and poison pill us.

Redrum187
02-17-2015, 04:29 PM
A max to Green is better than what they offered Smith at least. lol

I don't know if he's worth the max. For Detroit, it makes sense, but for another market, I'm not sure (maybe).

Goose17
02-17-2015, 04:32 PM
A max to Green is better than what they offered Smith at least. lol

I don't know if he's worth the max. For Detroit, it makes sense, but for another market, I'm not sure (maybe).

Thing is it won't be a max by the time the cap has gone up. It won't look so bad for Detroit then, just for the first year or two.

And if it helps them make the playoffs consistently, why not? Haha.

Cal827
02-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Guys, remember. After year one, it won't look as insanely horrible :laugh2: It'll just look like an average starter contract.

IndyRealist
02-17-2015, 06:36 PM
GSW better resign the guy he's become vital to their team's success. He should take a discount to stay in the championship hunt.

That's easy to say when it's not your money. Green is a 2nd round pick coming off his rookie deal. He hasn't really made any money yet in NBA terms. He could sign for a discount with GS then have a career ending injury 2 days later. How is that good for him?

Especially young guys who have never had a big contract, they are entitled to get as much as they can. They should not be berated for it.

flea
02-17-2015, 06:44 PM
He's a really good fit for the Warriors spread look, but I think he could be even more fun with SVG and Drummond.

meloman1592
02-17-2015, 07:48 PM

Lol easy for you to say. Gotta grab every penny imo

cheetos185
02-17-2015, 07:51 PM
Wow he should have said he wanted to come to the Knicks than gsw would have definitely offered max to him lol.

lamzoka
02-17-2015, 07:53 PM
That's easy to say when it's not your money. Green is a 2nd round pick coming off his rookie deal. He hasn't really made any money yet in NBA terms. He could sign for a discount with GS then have a career ending injury 2 days later. How is that good for him?

Especially young guys who have never had a big contract, they are entitled to get as much as they can. They should not be berated for it.

I completely agree. He's young. Take the money. Chase the ring later.

JV35
02-17-2015, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't give a bit of this Woj BS any credence at all.

With Woj's track record of unsubstantiated BS, this whole article looks like a pathetic attempt to see his name on social media.

Lmao at this.

Chronz
02-17-2015, 08:04 PM
Plz go east

jerellh528
02-17-2015, 08:11 PM
This guy is a fan favorite of golden state fans. Not sure why he would leave such a good thing in gs, where the team/fans are fantastic to go to Detroit. I guess money talks. I'm so tired of seeing every single above average player thinking they deserve the max though, I guess its the team's fault for payin the price. Max contracts should be alotted for the elite at thier position.

Chronz
02-17-2015, 08:20 PM
This guy is a fan favorite of golden state fans. Not sure why he would leave such a good thing in gs, where the team/fans are fantastic to go to Detroit. I guess money talks. I'm so tired of seeing every single above average player thinking they deserve the max though, I guess its the team's fault for payin the price. Max contracts should be alotted for the elite at thier position.

His impact it's max worthy

KnicksorBust
02-17-2015, 09:18 PM
Guys, remember. After year one, it won't look as insanely horrible :laugh2: It'll just look like an average starter contract.

He will still be overpaid but you bring up a good point. :)

His impact it's max worthy

I feel like you might believe you can *prove* that with defensive metrics but I would be very surprised if you actually believe it.

GunFactor187
02-17-2015, 09:32 PM
I'd only be in favor of signing Draymond under TWO conditions:
1. Monroe re-signs long term.
2. Under the RIGHT MONAYYY!!! Yes, that means NOT A MAX.

GoferKing_
02-18-2015, 06:56 AM
Green is a one season wonder, a product of the system, he feeds off of his teammates. GIving him a big amount of money will bite you in the arse.

kozelkid
02-18-2015, 07:03 AM

I feel like you might believe you can *prove* that with defensive metrics but I would be very surprised if you actually believe it.
Depends what you mean by being worth max. Is he a superstar? Obviously not. But the problem comes with superstars being underpaid in terms of the impact and wins they produce on the court. Guys like Durant and Lebron are capable of providing 25-30 wins alone. That should be worth more than 25-30% of a team's capspace.

Goose17
02-18-2015, 07:37 AM
Green is a one season wonder, a product of the system, he feeds off of his teammates. GIving him a big amount of money will bite you in the arse.

Did you watch him play in college?

nastynice
02-18-2015, 02:27 PM
He fits great on our team. Hope he stays. Can never fault a player for mentioning their hometown tho. Hopefully det doesn't snatch him away

SteveNash
02-18-2015, 09:16 PM
Love to have him at something like 5year/30mil. Can't pay much more than that though.

Blink
02-18-2015, 10:04 PM
Love to have him at something like 5year/30mil. Can't pay much more than that though.

No way GS let's him walk at that price. Lol that's a steal of a deal. That's a crime if he accepts that.

KnicksorBust
02-18-2015, 10:12 PM

Depends what you mean by being worth max. Is he a superstar? Obviously not. But the problem comes with superstars being underpaid in terms of the impact and wins they produce on the court. Guys like Durant and Lebron are capable of providing 25-30 wins alone. That should be worth more than 25-30% of a team's capspace.

If I am being generous, Green is a good teams 3rd best player. You dont max out 3's and 4's. You would think Detroit of all teams would recognize how much a franchise can be set by long term overpaid players.

Saddletramp
02-18-2015, 11:52 PM
If I am being generous, Green is a good teams 3rd best player. You dont max out 3's and 4's. You would think Detroit of all teams would recognize how much a franchise can be set by long term overpaid players.

You'd think GS would, too.

Deception
02-18-2015, 11:56 PM

Detroit isn't the one showing interest, the article says Draymond is interested in coming to Detroit. Many Pistons fans want him but I'm hoping we don't pay for him, he's a great player but I'm not sold that his success can be duplicated on a different team.

kozelkid
02-19-2015, 02:11 AM
In a vacuum? Sure. But how often are teams actually built where each player is paid according to their value.

Look at say the Mavs. Their best player is Dirk or Chandler and yet Ellis and Parsons are paid the most. Sometimes when you're a bad team and not the most attractive destination, you have to overpay good players to jump start your rise.

goingfor28
02-19-2015, 05:41 AM
Did you watch him play in college?
What is this supposed to mean? Adam Morrison was a beast at Gonzaga, where is he now?

tredigs
02-19-2015, 06:03 AM
Hope it doesn't come to fruition; maybe the most versatile +defender I've seen come through NBA. The fact that he can pass and can hit an open three are welcomed bonuses. The Warriors management has expressed opinions that they will keep Green at virtually all costs (literally), so that's a great sign.

Goose17
02-19-2015, 06:34 AM
What is this supposed to mean? Adam Morrison was a beast at Gonzaga, where is he now?

He called him a one year wonder, but Dray has been an elite defender (of nearly every position) and a great hustle player since his college days, what he's doing isn't new, all that's new is he's added a jump shot, improved his passing and gotten a starting role.

His PER 36 numbers from his rookie year aren't that different from what he's putting up now aside from the shooting.

KnicksorBust
02-19-2015, 07:18 AM
In a vacuum? Sure. But how often are teams actually built where each player is paid according to their value.

Look at say the Mavs. Their best player is Dirk or Chandler and yet Ellis and Parsons are paid the most. Sometimes when you're a bad team and not the most attractive destination, you have to overpay good players to jump start your rise.

I completely disagree that overpaying players like Draymond Green is a way to jump start the rise of a franchise.

85BearsDefense
02-19-2015, 08:11 AM
Draymond Green getting a max. :laugh: That would be a mistake for the Pistons.

He's easily worth it

85BearsDefense
02-19-2015, 08:15 AM

I completely disagree that overpaying players like Draymond Green is a way to jump start the rise of a franchise.

Handing out the super max toAn aging has been Melo is the best way right?

KnicksorBust
02-19-2015, 01:30 PM
Handing out the super max toAn aging has been Melo is the best way right?

:laugh: