PDA

View Full Version : Build a better Dream Team (without using the Dream Team)

valade16
02-17-2015, 03:14 PM
Do you think you can build a team that would beat the Dream Team if you couldn't use any of the Dream Team's players? Your team couldn't have MJ, Magic, Bird, etc.

Do you still think you could build a team that could beat the Dream Team? If so, post the team and explain why.

Goose17
02-17-2015, 03:35 PM
Just starting 5 or a full roster?

JustinTime
02-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Easy

PG Oscar Robertson/ Walt Frazier
SG Kobe/ West/Gervin
Sf Lebron/Baylor/Erving
PF Duncan/ Elvin Hayes/ KG
C Shaq/ Kareem/ Hakeem the dream/ Chamberlain

valade16
02-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Just starting 5 or a full roster?

Either or. Preferably the full roster but if you only wanna do a starting lineup that's cool too

IKnowHoops
02-17-2015, 03:42 PM
Lebron/CP3
Kobe/Wade
Durant/KG/Tmac
Dream/Duncan
Shaq/Wilt/Jabbar

I think this team would beat the dream team more than half the time.

valade16
02-17-2015, 03:42 PM
Easy

PG Oscar Robertson/ Walt Frazier
SG Kobe/ West/Gervin
Sf Lebron/Baylor/Erving
PF Duncan/ Elvin Hayes/ KG
C Shaq/ Hakeem the dream/ Chamberlain

The Dream Team only had 12 players. Which two would you take off?

IKnowHoops
02-17-2015, 03:46 PM
Really is not hard at all. Your taking the best players from one era (90's) vs the best players from every era combined. The dream team was awesome, but very beatable against the field when the field contains every great player in league history besides the dream team players.

JustinTime
02-17-2015, 03:51 PM
The Dream Team only had 12 players. Which two would you take off?

That's tough I actually meant to throw kareem in there too. It would have to be atleast 2 bigs i'd cut, and I could probably play one of those dominant C at PF so probably Elvin Hayes, maybe Erving and KG

valade16
02-17-2015, 04:00 PM
Really is not hard at all. Your taking the best players from one era (90's) vs the best players from every era combined. The dream team was awesome, but very beatable against the field when the field contains every great player in league history besides the dream team players.

I'm not sure about that. You have widely considered the GOAT at both PG and SG (and perhaps the 2nd best PG too), you have considered the greatest wing defender possibly ever at SF (not to mention Larry Legend), 2 guys who are Top 5 at the PF spot. I mean the onlyem real "weakness" is Center and that's because both of them are likely Top 20 players ever as opposed to Top 10.

KnicksorBust
02-17-2015, 04:09 PM
Do you think you can build a team that would beat the Dream Team if you couldn't use any of the Dream Team's players? Your team couldn't have MJ, Magic, Bird, etc.

Do you still think you could build a team that could beat the Dream Team? If so, post the team and explain why.

Dream Team Bird was nowhere near prime Bird... Magic wasnt at his peak either.

valade16
02-17-2015, 04:15 PM
Dream Team Bird was nowhere near prime Bird... Magic wasnt at his peak either.

True, but I guess we're assuming all players are at their peak. The other way would be if you want to pick a set group of players from any season and match them up against the Dream Team like say 2014 but then if you added players like Duncan, Kobe, or KG they wouldn't be prime versions of themselves.

Redrum187
02-17-2015, 08:20 PM
PG: Jason Kidd - Oscar Robertson - Chris Paul
SG: Kevin Durant - Kobe Bryant (6th man) - Stephen Curry
SF:LeBron James - Tracy McGrady
PF: Wilt Chamberlain - Tim Duncan
C : Shaq O'Neal - Kareem Abdul Jabar

I had Kobe come off the bench as 6th man for spacing issues. With Wilt and Shaq starting at the 4 and 5, Durant would be needed to play SG to be the lethal 3 point sniper that he is.

I strongly believe Wilt and Shaq would abuse the Dream Team. Kevin Durant and LeBron James are excellent defenders who can facilitate and rebound, with Jason Kidd as a top 3 defensive PG, top 5 overall PG.

Spacing/defending/rebounding/speed - all checked.

Redrum187
02-17-2015, 08:33 PM
Active and current aged players vs 1992 team:

PG: Chris Paul - Stephen Curry - Russell Westbrook
SG: Kevin Durant - James Harden
SF: LeBron James - Carmelo Anthony
PF: Anthony Davis - Tim Duncan
C : Dwight Howard - DeMarcus Cousins - Tyson Chandler

I think this team would definitely challenge the dream team.

JEDean89
02-17-2015, 08:36 PM
Shaq
Davis
LBJ
Harden
Curry

Bruno
02-17-2015, 08:39 PM
I love when this thread happens. it's a good time. I think we can all build teams that would have the upper hand.

it's unfair, in that were isolating a decade of talent and having them compete against every other decade of talent in league history. the dream team is legendary but they would have slim odds against the rest of NBA history in a best of seven (they could win any single game, hell yeah). Hell I might take this years Warriors against the dream team if I can start Wilt at center and pack the bench with Kareem, Duncan, Dirk, Durant, Kobe, LeBron and Cp3 :laugh2:

the dream team was soft in the middle. no disrespect to Ewing or Robinson, but they werent even the best centers in their own era. what are they going to do when Wilt, Kareem or Shaq come breaking down the door?

BGeer091
02-17-2015, 08:39 PM
Shaq
Duncan
Miller
Kobe
Payton??

Year is 2001?

IKnowHoops
02-17-2015, 09:58 PM
I love when this thread happens. it's a good time. I think we can all build teams that would have the upper hand.

it's unfair, in that were isolating a decade of talent and having them compete against every other decade of talent in league history. the dream team is legendary but they would have slim odds against the rest of NBA history in a best of seven (they could win any single game, hell yeah). Hell I might take this years Warriors against the dream team if I can start Wilt at center and pack the bench with Kareem, Duncan, Dirk, Durant, Kobe, LeBron and Cp3 :laugh2:

the dream team was soft in the middle. no disrespect to Ewing or Robinson, but they werent even the best centers in their own era. what are they going to do when Wilt, Kareem or Shaq come breaking down the door?

David could piss on any center in NBA history. David was probably the most productive player on the dream team if you look at the stats those players actually put up while on the dream team.

IKnowHoops
02-17-2015, 10:02 PM
David had plenty of years where he was first team NBA, I think 4, during the prime of Dream and early Shaq. Don't play Drob, he could absolutely out play Hakeem or Shaq on any given night in his prime.

Seizabmc
02-17-2015, 10:53 PM
Steph curry
Kobe
Lebron
Duncan
Shaq

cheetos185
02-17-2015, 11:31 PM
Lebron
Harden
Durant
Dirk
Dwight

IKnowHoops
02-17-2015, 11:32 PM
I'm not sure about that. You have widely considered the GOAT at both PG and SG (and perhaps the 2nd best PG too), you have considered the greatest wing defender possibly ever at SF (not to mention Larry Legend), 2 guys who are Top 5 at the PF spot. I mean the onlyem real "weakness" is Center and that's because both of them are likely Top 20 players ever as opposed to Top 10.

Id have the top four centers in history (Shaq, Wilt, Dream, Jabbar)
Id have the top 2 PF in history (Duncan, KG)
Id have arguably the future top 2 SF in history (Bron, Durant)
Id have 2nd, 3rd, an 4th best/talented SG in history (Kobe, Wade, Tmac)
and CP3 who statistically is the best pg in history.

I think its pretty lopsided compared to what the dream team arguably has.

JasonJohnHorn
02-18-2015, 04:30 PM
PG: CP3/Kidd (point guard is hard to top, but CP3 was a better defender and more diverse scorer than Stockton, and Kidd, in his prime, was better than Magic was by 92)
SG: Kobe/Wade (Jordan and Drexler win this match-up, but it's close)
SF: LBJ/KD (LBJ is clearly better than Pippen, and KD is much better today than Bird was during the 92 season, due to his constant back problems)
PF: Duncan/Garnett (both better rebounders and defenders than Karl and Charles)
C: Shaq/Hakeem (Shaq would eat up Ewing, and Hakeem was always better than D-Rob, though it was close).

And I'll add Anthony Davis (easily out does Laettner) and Steph Curry gives added depth with ball handling and shooting, more so than would Mullen).

Ty Fast
02-18-2015, 05:07 PM
Anybody that picks cp3 and not is isiah thomas is on crack

Bruno
02-18-2015, 06:11 PM
David could piss on any center in NBA history. David was probably the most productive player on the dream team if you look at the stats those players actually put up while on the dream team.

did you watch the 1995 WCF? why did Hakeem have his way with him?

it's about match ups, not cumulative career statistics. what's he going to do when Wilt KAJ, or Shaq or Hakeem (again) come knocking down the door? prime Wilt would make his 1995 WCF spanking look modest.

no disrespect, and I'm not infallible by any means but I tend disagree with your opinion almost every time I read it. regardless of the topic. so it doesn't surprise me that you think that David Robinson can **** on any other center in NBA history.

JasonJohnHorn
02-18-2015, 08:07 PM
Anybody that picks cp3 and not is isiah thomas is on crack

I speny my childhood watching and loving Isiah Thomas. CP3 is better. He's a better shooter, better scorer, better defender, and despite the fact that Zeke posted higher per-game averages for assists in his peak seasons, I think CP3 is a better playmaker as well Zeke played in an era where there were more possessions and coaches gave their stars more minutes.

I wouldn't say somebody was on crack for picking Zeke over CP3, because it is close, but when you really look at the stats, you will see that CP3 is the better offensive player, and if you've ever watched them play, you'll know that CP3 is head and shoulders above Zeke on the defensive end.

It's not crazy to put CP3 over Zeke, and don't go with the 'ring is the thing' argument, because CP3 never played with a team that feature a center as good as Bill Laimbeer, or a guard as good as Joe Dumar, or a forward that could score as well as Mark Aguire, or a benc player that could light it up like vinnie Johnson, or a 2-time DPOY like Dennis Rodman, or big bangers like James Edwards and Rick Mahorn and John Salley. CP3 has never been on a team that talented, EVER. The best he had is the roster he had last year, or going back, ad team with David West and Tyson Chandler.

JasonJohnHorn
02-18-2015, 08:09 PM

it's about match ups, not cumulative career statistics. what's he going to do when Wilt KAJ, or Shaq or Hakeem (again) come knocking down the door? prime Wilt would make his 1995 WCF spanking look modest.

no disrespect, and I'm not infallible by any means but I tend disagree with your opinion almost every time I read it. regardless of the topic. so it doesn't surprise me that you think that David Robinson can **** on any other center in NBA history.

I take Hakeem over D-Rob every time myself, but d-Robb was FAWKING AWEOSOME!!!! On his best days, D-Robb could take Hakeem. But over a 7-game series, I'd take Hakeem.

JEDean89
02-18-2015, 08:24 PM
I was watching that pop video on ESPN they had recently and Robinson walks by in the background, his head out of the picture, and just how incredible his body was, how he moved, I don' think theres a player in the NBA today that's like him. That said, prime Shaq was 7' 3" 320 lbs. No one was stopping Shaq.

SteveNash
02-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Dream Team wasn't that good, you could make a better team the same year.

Isiah>Magic
Hardaway>Stockton
Miller>Jordan
Dumars>Drexler
Rick Fox>Bird
Rice>Pippen
Majerle>Mullin
Rodman>Barkley
Grant>Malone
Shaq>Robinson
Mourning>Laettner

PurpleJesus
02-18-2015, 08:55 PM
Nawt
Bang
Pound
Bupkus
Blanco

Phantom Dreamer
02-19-2015, 12:14 AM
Dream Team wasn't that good, you could make a better team the same year.

Isiah>Magic
Hardaway>Stockton
Miller>Jordan
Dumars>Drexler
Rick Fox>Bird
Rice>Pippen
Majerle>Mullin
Rodman>Barkley
Grant>Malone
Shaq>Robinson
Mourning>LaettnerAre you serious?

IKnowHoops
02-19-2015, 12:36 AM

I'm not saying other centers couldn't get theres on him either. But he has outplayed Hakeem, he's has outplayed Shaq, he has outplayed Patrick. If you have that on your resume, you can outplay anyone. And Wilt doesn't have close to the moves of Hakeem. How do you figure Wilt does David worse than Hakeem did. David would absolutely be able to get buckets, boards, and blocks against Wilt. Who out plays who would be different on any given day. But you shouldn't judge what Wilt would do based on what Hakeem would do...they have two totally different games.

IKnowHoops
02-19-2015, 12:37 AM
I take Hakeem over D-Rob every time myself, but d-Robb was FAWKING AWEOSOME!!!! On his best days, D-Robb could take Hakeem. But over a 7-game series, I'd take Hakeem.

This is a post I can agree with. Obviously someone who was able to watch the careers of both, and not just a 95 playoff. I'd personally take David, but I love both and can't argue at all with someone taking Dream.

IKnowHoops
02-19-2015, 12:42 AM
I was watching that pop video on ESPN they had recently and Robinson walks by in the background, his head out of the picture, and just how incredible his body was, how he moved, I don' think theres a player in the NBA today that's like him. That said, prime Shaq was 7' 3" 320 lbs. No one was stopping Shaq.

100% right on both fronts

IKnowHoops
02-19-2015, 12:51 AM

Let me help you out bro with a bit bigger sample size.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=robinda01&p2=olajuha01

They basically played each other to a draw statistically throughout there careers.

I would point out on that, on 7 less shots per game, David averaged 2 less points than Hakeem against each other. He was by far the more efficient offensive player when they played against each other. Everything else is about as even as you can get.