PDA

View Full Version : The best possible 1st Round (West Coast only plz)

Chronz
02-17-2015, 05:54 AM
1v8 GSW vs OKC - You know we all want to see this

2v7 MEM VS LAC - Intense rivalry, would have great build up and contrast in styles

3v6 POR VS HOU - Rematch

4V5 SAS VS DAL - Always classics

I understand if some of these are played out but I like having a chance for legit rivalries to spring to life.

KnicksorBust
02-17-2015, 06:56 AM
You answered your own thread.

asandhu23
02-17-2015, 07:08 AM
Only 3 teams out of those are on the west coast.

Goose17
02-17-2015, 07:38 AM
I want to see Portland VS GSW or OKC for the point guard match ups.

GSW vs Phoenix would be the fastest paced game in first round history lol.

I want Dallas vs Houston because of the debates that were going in here about who would be better.

LAC vs GSW. Best rivalry in the league. Great match ups. Clippers need to fall to 8th seed though haha.

mightybosstone
02-17-2015, 10:25 AM
I really don't care who Houston faces as long as Howard gets back healthy. I do think they match up really well with the Spurs, but I'd really like their chances against Dallas. Portland scares me a little and the Clippers scare me a lot.

Dallas would probably be the ideal matchup. Not only does Dallas probably give Houston the best chance to advance, but I would LOVE to see the Rockets beat the Mavericks in the playoffs. Dallas handed Houston an embarrassing first round defeat in that devastating Game 7 a few years back, and given all that has happened in the last year with Parsons jumping ship and Cuban and Morey going after each other in the media, a win in that series would be all the sweeter.

mightybosstone
02-17-2015, 10:29 AM
Also, for those people who don't know, the citizens of Dallas and the citizens of Houston don't really like each other very much. There's animosity between sports fans of those cities that spills over into pretty much anything that's competitive. So any opportunity there is for the two cities to face off against each other in the postseason means really, really high drama if you're from Texas.

Goose17
02-17-2015, 10:44 AM
I'm more interested in the second round.

I would like to see the Clips and Houston move up a seed with Dallas and Portland falling. Setting us up for a second round with GSW - LAC and if Mavs can somehow upset Memphis (unlikely). You could have Mavs - Houston.

Two big rivalry games :cheers:

kdspurman
02-17-2015, 12:28 PM
For me, I'm good with any of the possible matchups as long as this team is healthy, though would not mind, not seeing OKC.

But I agree with the OP's matchups to see, however I wouldn't mind seeing Hou-Dal first round either.

Redrum187
02-17-2015, 12:34 PM
I'm a fan of players, not teams, so watching Tim Duncan go against Dirk Nowitzki is bitter sweet. I love it because I love this game and I get to see two legends go at it, but it breaks my heart knowing only one of them will advance.

I, like others have said, would much rather see the Rockets and Mavericks play. The rockets have won the regular season games (they were really competitive), but for some reason, I still give the edge to Dallas. Either way, it would be one hell of a series. Harden will blow up for 30 almost every game (if not every game).

I would love for the Spurs to face GSW in the first round. Curry winning MVP and GSW having the best team record in the NBA, only to be eliminated in the first round by the Spurs would make me think of 2007 Mavericks vs GSW.

Bruno
02-17-2015, 12:38 PM
I dont want OKC vs GS in round one. they're two of the best four teams in the conference, I'd rather see than in the second round or in the WCF. im happy so long as I see OKC, Memphis, SAS and GSW avoid eachother in round one. I think the other four teams (Houston, Dallas, Portland LAC) are the four teams I dont need to see in round two, although Dallas might be very interesting.

Goose17
02-17-2015, 12:40 PM
I would love for the Spurs to face GSW in the first round. Curry winning MVP and GSW having the best team record in the NBA, only to be eliminated in the first round by the Spurs would make me think of 2007 Mavericks vs GSW.

I keep worrying that we're going to end up like this, Memphis and SAS are our biggest threats imo.

kdspurman
02-17-2015, 12:48 PM
I keep worrying that we're going to end up like this, Memphis and SAS are our biggest threats imo.

Don't worry, highly doubt SA or Mem will be the 8th seed :)

D-Leethal
02-17-2015, 02:08 PM
I thought last year would be the last time we saw Timmy and Dirk square off. I would love to see it again.

You pretty much hit the nail on the freakin' head. Drool worthy first round right there.

Goose17
02-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Don't worry, highly doubt SA or Mem will be the 8th seed :)

it was looking like S.A might have been early on. Not since Leonard came back though.

Chronz
02-17-2015, 02:18 PM
I dont want OKC vs GS in round one. they're two of the best four teams in the conference, I'd rather see than in the second round or in the WCF. im happy so long as I see OKC, Memphis, SAS and GSW avoid eachother in round one. I think the other four teams (Houston, Dallas, Portland LAC) are the four teams I dont need to see in round two, although Dallas might be very interesting.
Younger me would agree with u. But really, wouldn't you be more satisfied with more intriguing series than worry about a somewhat arbitrary round in which you finally get to see them compete? And to be clear, the thread is about the best 1st round , not second
Like if these2 teams are gonna meet anyways, is it really worth it lose out on more intriguing matchups? Why does it matter when they face?

Chronz
02-17-2015, 02:21 PM
You answered your own thread.
any thoughts on what would be the worst opening round?

kdspurman
02-17-2015, 02:47 PM
it was looking like S.A might have been early on. Not since Leonard came back though.

Yea, I knew it was only a matter of time despite what most were saying. They're a different team without him. And they had other injuries aside from him + a brutal December schedule. Only 2 games back in the L column of 3rd seed despite all that. It'll be interesting to see how the Clips do the next few weeks without Blake, they could drop there

KnicksorBust
02-17-2015, 04:16 PM

2v7 MEM VS LAC - Intense rivalry, would have great build up and contrast in styles

3v6 POR VS HOU - Rematch

I understand if some of these are played out but I like having a chance for legit rivalries to spring to life.

1v8 GSW vs LAC

2v7 MEM vs PHO

3v6 POR vs SAS

4v5 - HOU vs DAL

Bruno
02-17-2015, 08:57 PM
Younger me would agree with u. But really, wouldn't you be more satisfied with more intriguing series than worry about a somewhat arbitrary round in which you finally get to see them compete? And to be clear, the thread is about the best 1st round , not second
Like if these2 teams are gonna meet anyways, is it really worth it lose out on more intriguing matchups? Why does it matter when they face?

thats fair, I kind of **** on the premise of the thread.

I think it just comes down to the fact that I love watching OKC and Golden State play, I might feel robbed if I only get to see one series out of one of them. especially if a team that I perceive to be lesser than either one advances further out west.

If I picked four match ups, they'd be the four you chose. that would be epic. I'd just hate to see one of the top five teams in the league out of the playoffs by the second round. Kind of like Spurs/Lakers in 2001. The two best teams in the entire league faced off in the second round, I always hated that. I think the allure of championship games and that context adds a little additional magic, but maybe its over exaggerated.

I guess its all about what results in the most high quality ball for the longest period of time. and however you get to that point, I'm in.

one last point- I think that match up might ruin either teams chance at the championship. I think it would go seven and that both teams would be especially exhausted by the end of the first round. on either side, if you have to face a monster that early in the post-season, it's going to be really difficult to keep it turned on without burning out by the end of June. its almost unfair man. i mean are teams going to tank in the final week of the season to avoid OKC in round one? its crazy.

Chronz
02-18-2015, 04:52 PM
thats fair, I kind of **** on the premise of the thread.
You weren't alone, people shat all over this thread. But you did raise an interesting point. I feel like most fans determine who was more successful by how far they advanced rather than how well they played. I dont like it one bit. When teams assess their teams, its not like they just look at how far they advanced at pretend thats their base level of play, they look at the competition they faced and how efficient they were ALL YEAR, not just if they were capable of winning against certain matchups.

I think it just comes down to the fact that I love watching OKC and Golden State play, I might feel robbed if I only get to see one series out of one of them. especially if a team that I perceive to be lesser than either one advances further out west.
Thats true, to you it may be more enjoyable to see those 2 teams more often than any other. Good point, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a sacrifice for the sake of "advancing".

If I picked four match ups, they'd be the four you chose. that would be epic. I'd just hate to see one of the top five teams in the league out of the playoffs by the second round. Kind of like Spurs/Lakers in 2001. The two best teams in the entire league faced off in the second round, I always hated that. I think the allure of championship games and that context adds a little additional magic, but maybe its over exaggerated.
Me too, I hated it because I wanted to see more of them. I totally get your point here, I guess Im speaking as Clips fan who would love to see these 2 Goliaths beat each other down.

I guess its all about what results in the most high quality ball for the longest period of time. and however you get to that point, I'm in.
OK so we have the OP as the base for the best possible first round scenario.

What would be the best overall quality to you? Lets work backwards.

OKC vs GS would have to be the WCF

WCSF:
OKC vs ________
GSW vs ________

We'll start here. Personally (as a fan of the NBA and not my own team) I would love to see the Grizz-Clips, I guess that has to happen in R.1 so that means either one of them faces off against those 2. I would rather see them and OKC just because I love the budding rivalry.

one last point- I think that match up might ruin either teams chance at the championship. I think it would go seven and that both teams would be especially exhausted by the end of the first round. on either side, if you have to face a monster that early in the post-season, it's going to be really difficult to keep it turned on without burning out by the end of June. its almost unfair man. i mean are teams going to tank in the final week of the season to avoid OKC in round one? its crazy.
I think theres enough rest in between games to render that somewhat minuscule but if there are nagging injuries sustained as a result, I fully agree. I just dont think these 2 teams are that physically draining. I mean, the Grizzlies would be more physically draining IMO but thats mostly because teams do in fact come out hurting. Clips felt that wrath once (Butler had a hand injury, CP3 was so hobbled (hip, hand, groin injuries) that even Pop said he didn't resemble the player he was accustomed to seeing, Blake had some nagging injuries as well), but that can happen in any series.

Sanjay
02-19-2015, 08:19 PM

3v6 POR VS HOU - Rematch

I know you said just the first round, but I would rather see consistently good matchups throughout climaxing with the best possible Western Conference Finals. Because last season, round one in the West was amazing, but the rest of the playoffs out West (including the Finals) - apart from Thunder versus Clippers - were boring lol. Here's mine:

1 Warriors vs 8 Spurs (San Antonio won't fall to the 8th seed, but this would probably be the best series in terms of quality)
2 Grizzlies v 7 Thunder (Rematch of last season's first round series which had all those overtimes and went to seven games)
3 Rockets v 6 Trail Blazers (Rematch of last year's round one series which ended with Lillard's hero three)
4 Mavericks v 5 Clippers (Two of the most explosive offenses in the league)

1 Warriors v 5 Clippers (Let the hatred continue)
7 Thunder v 3 Rockets (The two best scorers in the NBA)

1 Warriors v 7 Thunder (The two most exciting teams in the league)

This is my actual bracket:
1 Warriors v 8 Thunder (Golden State win in seven because of their depth, but Oklahoma City could steal this one)
2 Grizzlies v 7 Mavericks (Memphis win in six with their bulldog style play)
3 Spurs v 6 Clippers (Yes! San Antonio will make a move! Spurs turn it on in the playoffs and sweep this series, don't rate the Clippers in the playoffs)
4 Trail Blazers v 5 Rockets (Portland repeat in six again)

1 Warriors v 4 Trail Blazers (Again too much depth, Golden State sweep this one)
2 Grizzlies v 3 Spurs (Memphis put up a fight, but San Antonio edges it in seven)

1 Warriors v 3 Spurs (San Antonio in seven in a series for the ages, although Golden State could take this one and with it the mantle from the defending champs)

nastynice
02-19-2015, 09:05 PM
as a dubs fan, I definitely want a piece of the clippers. They whoop our *** last year playoffs, we def need another crack at them.

I think gsw vs okc would be one of the most entertaining matchups possible. Probably have avg ppg at like 130.

Memphis vs LAC would be nice to see too, wanna see if blake lets randolph push him around, or he's gonna push back.

Any texas matchups would be nice.

Also portland vs hou would be a good one, given last years series.

now that I think about it, let's just say I echo the op's sentimet, lol

nastynice
02-19-2015, 09:10 PM

tough question. So much quality in the west, its hard to pick a bad matchup.

maybe gsw vs hou, we kinda got their number for whatever reason