PDA

View Full Version : The 76ers cap space

JasonJohnHorn
02-16-2015, 06:30 PM
As of right now, the 76ers have only 14 million of cap space committed for next year. I assume that their draft picks might add another 5 or so, so let's say it will be an even 20.

Philly's salary cap: http://hoopshype.com/salaries/philadelphia.htm

With the cap at an estimated 90 million, that give the 76er 70 million dollars to play with.

With all their key players on rookie contracts, and a number of draft picks still coming to them through trades, that puts them in a position to bring in 3 or 4 max contract players to add to their roster of promising young rookies whom they will be able to keep, if they so desire, when their contracts are up as they will have their Bird rights. And they will still be able to add what will likely be a top-five pick in the draft.

The following will be on the market:
LBJ
Love
Al Jefferson
Tyson Chandler
Mac Gasol
Greg Monroe
Roy Hibbert
DeAndre Jordan
Dwyane Wade
Goran Dragic
LaMarcus Aldridge

I think it is a safe bet that Wade and LBJ are staying where they are, but the 76er could easily add Love, Dragic and any one of a number of defensive rebounding centers and still have cap space left over to sign a couple other quality veterans and still have MCW, Noel Nerlens, KJ McDaniels and Joel Emiid on the roster, along with their first pick this year.

Is this feesible, or is the current losing culture there going to dissuade anybody from coming in, regardless of the pay cheque.

xxplayerxx23
02-16-2015, 06:48 PM
It's not 90 mil until 2016

FraziersKnicks
02-16-2015, 07:07 PM

This

/close thread.

Cal827
02-16-2015, 07:14 PM
They'll be a prime candidate to get Lebron this off-season. All of that hardcore recruiting by Embid will pay off.

2-ONE-5
02-16-2015, 08:02 PM

right when KD hits the market.........

xxplayerxx23
02-16-2015, 10:41 PM
right when KD hits the market.........

I'm sure hes dying to go to Philly...

IndyRealist
02-16-2015, 10:57 PM
EVERYONE is getting a salary cap increase, not just your team. Currently every team is projected under the current cap in 2016. If it jumps by the projected $27M, and every team is under the cap, then EVERY team will be able to offer a max deal (assuming a cap of $90M and a 35% max deal) starting at $31.5M. Every team will be able to offer Durant, Lebron, etc. the same amount of money, except their current teams who can offer higher annual raises.

You are not luring anyone to your team solely with the offer of a max contract, because they can just join a contending team for the same money. Everyone basically has 18 months to get their sh** together to persuade stars to join them.

Synyster89
02-16-2015, 10:58 PM

He might be by then...the Sixers are likely to be a fringe playoff team at that point.

Lakers + Giants
02-16-2015, 11:23 PM
I'm pretty sure that losing culture impacts a players decision as well. Unfortunately, it may affect my lakers as well :(

mike_noodles
02-16-2015, 11:41 PM
But even if the cap is only $65m next season, the 6ers could still net two max players. Not impossible, but not likely.

bleedprple&gold
02-17-2015, 12:53 AM
But even if the cap is only $65m next season, the 6ers could still net two max players. Not impossible, but not likely.

But will the Sixers even try to? They could have offered max contracts last offseason and they didn't go after anyone.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-17-2015, 01:02 AM
lol cap is not 90 millions next year

sixer04fan
02-17-2015, 01:15 AM
I'll be pretty shocked if we sign any big names in the next 2 years, despite all the cap space. I think the team is committed to finding out what they have in the kids they've drafted first (and will draft this year). Then potentially trading up some of those pieces for a star, or signing some FAs to play around the team they've built through the draft.

And the naysayers are right. We have a long way to go before becoming an attractive destination. A 1-2 year window to prove to potential FAs that we're at least on the path to contention is tough.

IKnowHoops
02-17-2015, 01:37 AM
This

/close thread.

They'll be a prime candidate to get Lebron this off-season. All of that hardcore recruiting by Embid will pay off.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hawkeye15
02-17-2015, 02:16 AM
I'll be pretty shocked if we sign any big names in the next 2 years, despite all the cap space. I think the team is committed to finding out what they have in the kids they've drafted first (and will draft this year). Then potentially trading up some of those pieces for a star, or signing some FAs to play around the team they've built through the draft.

And the naysayers are right. We have a long way to go before becoming an attractive destination. A 1-2 year window to prove to potential FAs that we're at least on the path to contention is tough.

all of this. Plus, the young players they do want to retain, will need a payday. But you nailed it.

2-ONE-5
02-17-2015, 10:03 AM

more then NY

2-ONE-5
02-17-2015, 10:06 AM
But will the Sixers even try to? They could have offered max contracts last offseason and they didn't go after anyone.

last year was different compared to what we expect things to look like 2 years from now. The goal is/was player development and after 3 (successful) years of it 2016 or 2017 are the years we expect a splash to made

beasted86
02-17-2015, 10:23 AM
...Right in time for when you'll be forced to max out a player with over-inflated stats or "Evan Turner" them.

beasted86
02-17-2015, 10:38 AM
I know how haterish this is going to sound, but this project is more likely to end up like the early 2000 Clippers than the OKC Thunder. Draft a bunch of athletic type versatile players who don't really fit and can't shoot, check... (Odom, Miles, Maggette, Livingston vs. MCW, Wroten, McDaniels, Noel, ?? from next 2 drafts), have a Center of questionable work ethic, check... (Olowakandi vs. Embiid).

My issue isn't the tanking, really, but rather this mold of non shooters and redundant skills, and drafting injured players which only hurts their learning curve and gives the team less time to evaluate what they will inevitably be overpaying. I don't feel they know what they are doing.

PhillyFaninLA
02-17-2015, 11:40 AM
The bigger number to me right now is they are $13 mil under the cap floor with the trade deadline approaching...we might have the entire second round. J/K

In all seriousness, I doubt we use any significant money this offseason.

We have MCW, Noles, Embiid, I believe Saric will be bought out and be in the NBA next year, and we could draft a good shooting guard. We have depth with quite a few guys on our roster, we have 6 - 12 on our roster covered if we want it to be with good bench players.

We have the 5th most titles in NBA history and the 3rd most wins and a city that is good enough (despite what many people on this site say) to get the RNC, DNC, and Pope. If MCW, Noles, Embiid, and Saric can play well together and our starters now that are good bench players then we might be attractive to free agents.

PhillyFaninLA
02-17-2015, 11:43 AM
deleted

(decided not to poke the bear)

Goose17
02-17-2015, 11:48 AM
If nothing else they're going to have a nice stash of draft picks, young talent and cap space to make a BIG trade.

sjbirds
02-17-2015, 11:55 AM
I know how haterish this is going to sound, but this project is more likely to end up like the early 2000 Clippers than the OKC Thunder. Draft a bunch of athletic type versatile players who don't really fit and can't shoot, check... (Odom, Miles, Maggette, Livingston vs. MCW, Wroten, McDaniels, Noel, ?? from next 2 drafts), have a Center of questionable work ethic, check... (Olowakandi vs. Embiid).

My issue isn't the tanking, really, but rather this mold of non shooters and redundant skills, and drafting injured players which only hurts their learning curve and gives the team less time to evaluate what they will inevitably be overpaying. I don't feel they know what they are doing.
3 Of the top 10 rookies in the nba and rookie of the year from last year. But keep thinking they don't know what they are doing. Plus they get the hearts 1st and when they miss the playoffs they will have 2 lottery picks yet again.

PhillyFaninLA
02-17-2015, 11:56 AM
3 Of the top 10 rookies in the nba and rookie of the year from last year. But keep thinking they don't know what they are doing. Plus they get the hearts 1st and when they miss the playoffs they will have 2 lottery picks yet again.

Wait we have the Heats 1st? I thought we used it already...is it protected in anyway?

sixer04fan
02-17-2015, 12:00 PM
Wait we have the Heats 1st? I thought we used it already...is it protected in anyway?

Top 10 protected

PhillyFaninLA
02-17-2015, 12:02 PM
Top 10 protected

Thanks

sixer04fan
02-17-2015, 12:13 PM

Doesn't sound haterish.

This early in a rebuild, the Sixers believe in drafting BPA over fit. That includes injured or foreign players who they don't need to contribute right now. I'm glad we picked Embiid, Noel, and Saric because they offer the highest long term upside at those picks. They know what they are doing.

The Sixers can be patient and believe in their player development program. They believe that shooting, for example, is a skill that can be taught, while length and athleticism cannot. They want to find the next Paul George or Kawhi Leonard in that sense. If they thought otherwise, they could have picked Doug McDermott in the last draft. He's shooting 26% from 3 this season.

The program is already paying dividends. The Sixers are among the league leaders in shot block rates, steal rates, deflection rates, effective double team rates. They can cause havoc on D because of all that length and athleticism. They are also among the league leaders in ball distribution, player movement, and expected PPS on their FG attempts. You can see the system in place, and the players are buying in and improving. We started 2-23, and are 10-18 since. Our defense is actually good, and we have looked better than a handful of teams overall for a while now. This will only continue as our players get better, older, and as we infuse more talent on offense.

The questionable work ethic is complete BS by the way. The reports on Embiid's weight gain were immediately disproven. And his "skipped workouts" at the beginning of the year were when he was in Africa, burying his dead brother. He maybe missed one voluntary workout right when he got back from the funeral.

2-ONE-5
02-17-2015, 12:52 PM

since when does Embiid have a questionable work ethic and last I check he is a zillion times the prospect Kandi was. This whole thing is really off, why not mention the great shooting from Covington, the unbelievable shooting improvement from Grant so far? Lets not forget we dont have a scumbag owner who doesnt care (Sterling/LAC) and we have a great GM who has assembled countless assets to work with plus ya know cap space, tons and tons and tons of cap space. Oh and lets not forget that we have become around a top 10 defense this year already

IndyRealist
02-17-2015, 12:59 PM
Frankly I see their roster as assets. They may not fit (right now) but they'll fit for someone who has pieces to trade. I don't see MCW, Noel, Embiid, and Saric all staying in philly.

PhillyFaninLA
02-17-2015, 01:15 PM
Frankly I see their roster as assets. They may not fit (right now) but they'll fit for someone who has pieces to trade. I don't see MCW, Noel, Embiid, and Saric all staying in philly.

PG, PF, SF, C.....they don't play the same position, why specifically don't you see it?

Synyster89
02-17-2015, 01:29 PM
PG, PF, SF, C.....they don't play the same position, why specifically don't you see it?

Saric is more of a stretch 4 than a 3, I doubt he has the athleticism to play a majority of the time as a 3. Also, Nerlens is a more of a C than a PF. But either way, it is way to early for anyone to tell who will fit and who won't when they haven't even played together yet. In addition, we will be adding major pieces in the draft so who knows what the team will look like in a year or two.

PhillyFaninLA
02-17-2015, 01:33 PM
Saric is more of a stretch 4 than a 3, I doubt he has the athleticism to play a majority of the time as a 3. Also, Nerlens is a more of a C than a PF. But either way, it is way to early for anyone to tell who will fit and who won't when they haven't even played together yet. In addition, we will be adding major pieces in the draft so who knows what the team will look like in a year or two.

Good point

Sly Guy
02-17-2015, 01:51 PM
I'm pretty sure that losing culture impacts a players decision as well. Unfortunately, it may affect my lakers as well :(

this. Dollars don't mean as much if you can't win games.

Synyster89
02-17-2015, 02:28 PM

Don't assume the Sixers have a "losing culture" or "can't win games" in 2016.

sixer04fan
02-17-2015, 02:45 PM
The Sixers don't have a "losing culture" now either.

But they have A LOT to prove still if they're trying to convince FAs they're on the path to contention. A great player whose priority is rings isn't going to sign here until we drastically improve in the win column. That's just the truth.

2-ONE-5
02-17-2015, 03:25 PM

but the Knicks are gonna sign everyone and they have a worse record than we do

sixer04fan
02-17-2015, 03:30 PM
Gotta chill on the Knicks lol. You're just inviting more people to root against the Sixers for no reason. And right or wrong, I think most established players would rather play with Melo right now than with what we have. For now.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-17-2015, 03:30 PM

Think they mean Noel and Embiid then maybe stuck drafting another big man like Okafor or Towns.

IndyRealist
02-17-2015, 04:24 PM

Because at some point they're likely to bring in a vet to stabilize their lineup. Potential is great but production is better. Throwing 4 or 5 young guys out there can get you extremely mixed results. And your ceiling could be lower than you realize, only you paid those guts already. The Hawks stuck with their young core until they weren't young anymore. Good, but not good enough. They had to jettison Joe Johnson and Josh Smith, and bring in Milsap and Korver to get to contending.

And that brings up another point. These young guys will all be due significant raises within a couple years of each other. They could get stuck where they make a playoff run, and are forced to max a guy they shouldn't or risk sliding back into the lottery. It happened in Atlanta, and in Memphis. That's why it's beneficial to have players at varied points in their career, who's contracts are predictable.

KnicksorBust
02-17-2015, 04:33 PM

What an interesting comparison. I like it. I'd love to see the Sixers add some shooting. With guys like Dragic-Wes Matthews-Danny Green available that could really solidify their rotation. It will all depend on what draft pick they get.

2-ONE-5
02-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Gotta chill on the Knicks lol. You're just inviting more people to root against the Sixers for no reason. And right or wrong, I think most established players would rather play with Melo right now than with what we have. For now.

nah its all warranted. No one wants to play with Melo, dude doesnt even pass in the all-star game.

sportfan73
02-17-2015, 09:02 PM
I absolutely can not wait for the reactions when all the sudden next year they are competitive for the 8th seed and a top 5 defense in the league. That will just be the beginning.