PDA

View Full Version : Will new cap help role players, or simply increase salaries for top stars?

JasonJohnHorn
02-16-2015, 06:11 PM
When I saw what the new cap was, I had a few concerns and hopes.

Concern was that so long as elite players are happy with 18 million to start, teams with money would be able to fill their starting line-up with All-Star, thereby increasing disparity in the league, especially the West (though my hope is that the Spurs are able to use that money to bring in Marc Gasol).

My other concern was that the increased cap, rather than helping to raise the salaries of the bench/rotation players, would be used to simply increase the salaries of the top players, essentially leading to 35 million dollar annual salaries, which, with two such players on a given team and an additional All-Star making somewhere in the late teens, would leave nothing more for the rotation players and role players than what they already have.

So do you think this increase in salary cap space is only going to help top free agents? Or do you think this money will be spread around? How do you see this unfolding? and what kind of restrictions could be put in place to ensure this money is spread around? Or should it be spread around?

Goose17
02-16-2015, 06:20 PM
Last I heard they were predicting after it's all said and done, the MLE will nearly double and will be about 9 million per. So yeah, I think it benefits all of them.

Celticsfan2007
02-16-2015, 06:25 PM
Both. Hopefully the next thing they do is get rid of max contracts so players like LeBron don't make the same money as Joe Johnson or some other overpaided "Max Player"

Cal827
02-16-2015, 07:35 PM
I think there will finally be some separation between the true Elite guys and the other tiers (Stars, good starters, role players, etc). Don't think we'll see a guy a tier or two below getting a contract similar to the likes of the Elite (E.g Rashard Lewis compared to Lebron, Joe Johnson compared to Kobe Bryant)

Well at least I hope so, or we are going to have fun ripping into the new Billy Kings and James Dolans of the future :laugh2:

Hawkeye15
02-16-2015, 08:25 PM
I think it will help every player to some level. The ones hurt the most will be the guys who are perennial all start, but by no means a #1 on an elite team. Someone like Davis/Durant will get $28 million a year, Love or LMA, or Harden, will get $18 million. The rest will be divided up amongst the more than half the league that is average or below.

But, stupid GM's never cease to amaze me, they could keep throwing away money on star players, treating them like superstars...

Cal827
02-16-2015, 08:35 PM
I think it will help every player to some level. The ones hurt the most will be the guys who are perennial all start, but by no means a #1 on an elite team. Someone like Davis/Durant will get $28 million a year, Love or LMA, or Harden, will get $18 million. The rest will be divided up amongst the more than half the league that is average or below.

But, stupid GM's never cease to amaze me, they could keep throwing away money on star players, treating them like superstars...

Speaking about that, the Cap goes up in the year that Whiteside becomes a FA... That'll probably show us what to expect in the future lol

JEDean89
02-16-2015, 08:48 PM
This is really going to ruin the small market teams. My Knicks for example, have Melo locked in at 22 mil, and can sign another player to an 18-20 mil max, draft a top pick, get him on the pre cap explosion rookie scale, then will have about 47 mil in 2016 to offer to anyone they like. A max will be around 30 mil so they can sign another max star, and still have 17 mil to spend on a team, then have 10 mil the next year with the MLE. That's crazy amount of flexibility. I think you will see some crazy contracts this summer. For instance, Dragic will likely get a max because it's only a real max for 1 year, then is like a 2/3rds max contract after, which equals like 12 mil a year pre cap explosion. So maxes for everyone this summer. Dragic, Gasol, Monroe, LMA, and anyone else I may have missed. Then in 2016, ***** gonna get bonkers.

jimm120
02-16-2015, 09:01 PM
with the salary cap so high, and so few players anyway, I believe that the salary cap should be done away with.

sure, MLB goes a bit crazy with some guys (25-30 million a season), but its only for a few chosen. Everyone else is in certain ranges and management (all mlb clubs aside for red sox and yanks) pretty much adhere to an "invisible" limit on certain players.

I believe with the salary cap being so high, the salary cap will be taken off. Just put in a luxury tax, an nba minimum, and that's it.