PDA

View Full Version : Report: Suns prefer trading Isaiah Thomas over Goran Dragic

Rocco007
02-15-2015, 12:07 AM
Suns general manager Ryan McDonough admitted his team was overloaded in the backcourt, and that fueled already-existing speculation Phoenix would trade Goran Dragic.

But perhaps another Suns point guard will be moved instead.

Marc Stein of ESPN:

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/566477745136603136

Trading Isaiah Thomas for a frontcourt player could be a little riskier. If he gets dealt and Dragic leaves in free agency – which he has made clear is possible – Phoenix could go from three good point guards to only Eric Bledsoe.

Obviously, the Suns – in the thick of a playoff – race would prefer to keep the better player, Dragic, in the long-term. But not only might Dragic walk this summer, he’d fetch more in a trade than Thomas would. The Lakers and Rockets are reportedly interested, and so are the Heat.

So, although I believe Phoenix is exploring Thomas trades harder now, six three factors could change that:

1. How the Suns play before the trade deadline

2. How the Thunder play before the trade deadline

3. How the Pelicans play before the trade deadline

1. What indications Dragic gives before the trade deadline about re-signing in the offseason

2. The offers Phoenix gets for Thomas

3. The offers Phoenix gets for Dragic

With so much still up in the air, I’m not convinced a Thomas trade is much more likely than a Dragic trade.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/14/report-suns-prefer-trading-isaiah-thomas-over-goran-dragic/

Rocco007
02-15-2015, 12:10 AM
After years of the Kings’ management seeming to just not believe in him and bringing in guy after guy to take his job, Isaiah Thomas wanted to be wanted as a free agent this summer. Sure, he wanted to get paid, money is king, but part of attracting a free agent is making him feel like your organization cares and really wants him to be part of it.

Thomas was hoping that could happen with the Lakers.

Instead he ended up forming one of the more interesting and potentially dangerous backcourts in the NBA in Phoenix — with Goran Dragic and Eric Bledsoe — but Thomas told Zach Lowe of Grantland he wanted to be a Laker.

I heard you had a strong interest in signing with the Lakers.

Yeah, I did….

First off, it’s the Los Angeles Lakers. Who wouldn’t want to play for them? Second off, I felt like they always needed a point guard — a small guard like myself. I always envisioned myself playing with the Lakers, but like you said, they were waiting on Carmelo and other moves. The Suns came out of nowhere and showed a lot of interest, and I fell in love with them.

The Lakers were swinging for the fences this summer (as they will next summer) but when they went Adam Dunn and struck out again, they started looking for guys to bring in on short contracts — they want to keep their flexibility going forward. Thomas wants to get paid and get some security. There wasn’t much of a fit there.

But damn could the Lakers use the spark of Thomas. Los Angeles fans would have loved him. Frankly he’d be the second best scorer on that team. A spark plug — and the Lakers need a spark. But Los Angeles has its plan.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/29/isaiah-thomas-said-he-had-interest-in-signing-with-lakers/

McAllen Tx
02-15-2015, 12:32 AM
That's Phoenix's problem. I don't think we should step in just yet and play "SAVE A HO" We've gone this far so let's let this play out this season.
And if we miss out on both Dragic and Thomas oh well. I won't lose sleep over it

Rocco007
02-15-2015, 01:49 AM
I rather tie up 6.8 mil on Thomas than 12 million in Jackson or15plus mil in Dragic...
Gives Clarkson an opportunity to still play next to him in spurts... the kid is a baller...

jsthornton7
02-15-2015, 02:31 AM
I'd rather avoid all of them and keep our pick

GREATNESS ONE
02-15-2015, 02:52 AM
I'd rather avoid all of them and keep our pick

Same. As well though we do need an upgrade at almost every position, just don't see PG leading their teams to Championships often in this era.

Rocco007
02-15-2015, 05:11 AM
Lakers Rumors: Isaiah Thomas a trade target for L.A. instead of Goran Dragic?

http://www.examiner.com/article/lakers-rumors-isaiah-thomas-a-trade-target-for-l-a-instead-of-goran-dragic

bleedprple&gold
02-15-2015, 05:27 AM
Lakers Rumors: Isaiah Thomas a trade target for L.A. instead of Goran Dragic?

http://www.examiner.com/article/lakers-rumors-isaiah-thomas-a-trade-target-for-l-a-instead-of-goran-dragic

Only the Lakers would give up assets to trade for a guy they could have already gotten in free agency for practically nothing :facepalm:

Lakers + Giants
02-15-2015, 06:49 AM
Only the Lakers would give up assets to trade for a guy they could have already gotten in free agency for practically nothing :facepalm:

A guy who came out and said he would love to play for the lakers....

Raidaz4Life
02-15-2015, 06:54 AM
Oh how the mighty have fallen

DanG
02-15-2015, 09:02 AM
lmao you guys aren't happy with anything. Thomas would be the best PG kobe has ever played with.

Raidaz4Life
02-15-2015, 10:50 AM
lmao you guys aren't happy with anything. Thomas would be the best PG kobe has ever played with.

I agree but a lot of us were clamoring for this move during the off-season. Now we have to give up an asset to get the same player who was dying to sign with us 7 months earlier.

It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

McAllen Tx
02-15-2015, 10:57 AM
I rather tie up 6.8 mil on Thomas than 12 million in Jackson or15plus mil in Dragic...
Gives Clarkson an opportunity to still play next to him in spurts... the kid is a baller...

I agree with this but I see IT as a fallback plan after the draft. I say let's see where we draft 1st and who will be there for us.

We've gone this far let's just ride it out till the end of the season. Remember, one game seperates us from us possibly drafting 2nd to 4th.

I don't want us to win a few games thisseason and drop our chances to draft #1 cause we traded for IT.

And if that means we lose out on him altogether oh well. But I believe he will be available this summer if he ain't traded this week. Let's not go make a trade just for the sake of making a trade. We started the tank let's go all the way with it.

McAllen Tx
02-15-2015, 12:22 PM
The Lakers are a far better position right now than if they would've signed IT this past summer. If we would have signed him last summer where would we be right now? Not a playoff team. And with no top 5 pick cause we would be 18-20 win team right now.

Rocco007
02-15-2015, 01:49 PM
Ryan Ward @Lakers_Examiner 14 Feb 11:45 ET

Although Dragic is a talented PG, I actually think Thomas is a better fit in LA.

still1ballin
02-15-2015, 02:14 PM
If you're gonna trade for him, do it after the draft.

deadman8586
02-15-2015, 02:16 PM
Here's an idea for the off season opt in Hill and then trade him to phoenix for Thomas and something else that why we will fill some of our needs that way and keep our pick.

jsthornton7
02-15-2015, 03:52 PM
Same. As well though we do need an upgrade at almost every position, just don't see PG leading their teams to Championships often in this era.

Most teams that win a championship have a primary ball handler leading their team. Dallas is the only recent example I can think of where this is not the case.

This season we need to trade Hill, Nash, Davis, Lin and Sacre for the best picks we can get.

The ideal offseason IMO is as follows:

Draft Russell or Mudiay at PG, sign Jimmy Butler at SG, sign Kawhi Leonard (L.A. native) at SF.

To sign them would roughly cost us 15M each, but we would have a young team with incredible defensive ability.

New Power House
02-15-2015, 04:38 PM
Most teams that win a championship have a primary ball handler leading their team. Dallas is the only recent example I can think of where this is not the case.

This season we need to trade Hill, Nash, Davis, Lin and Sacre for the best picks we can get.

The ideal offseason IMO is as follows:

Draft Russell or Mudiay at PG, sign Jimmy Butler at SG, sign Kawhi Leonard (L.A. native) at SF.

To sign them would roughly cost us 15M each, but we would have a young team with incredible defensive ability.

First, Neither Buttler or Kawhi are going to leave their teams to come to a team that is rebuilding. Rusell or Mudiay sound about more possible,but we might be lucky this next draft and end up with either Oka or Towns who need more, because the lack of good Centers in the NBA. ROndo might be the one that end up with us and to me he is better than any of the rumored pgs potentially coming in treades. He is an orquestrator offensivelly and a lock down defensive guard. He has weon already. He actually will teach an young pg the Lakers end up getting along with CLarkson. Kobe loves this guy attitude.

deadman8586
02-15-2015, 04:52 PM
First, Neither Buttler or Kawhi are going to leave their teams to come to a team that is rebuilding. Rusell or Mudiay sound about more possible,but we might be lucky this next draft and end up with either Oka or Towns who need more, because the lack of good Centers in the NBA. ROndo might be the one that end up with us and to me he is better than any of the rumored pgs potentially coming in treades. He is an orquestrator offensivelly and a lock down defensive guard. He has weon already. He actually will teach an young pg the Lakers end up getting along with CLarkson. Kobe loves this guy attitude.

Expect we are not going to sign a guy that will not stay healthy and will decline.

eso
02-15-2015, 05:32 PM
Expect we are not going to sign a guy that will not stay healthy and will decline.

What if Rondo is up for a 1 year deal to coincide with the new salary cap?

jsthornton7
02-15-2015, 05:52 PM

Chicago might not have a choice financially as they are paying Rose and Noah. While Kawhi is unlikely, it's not impossible if he continues to want a max contract for him to sign here. The Lakers obviously have interest in him and he grew up in Los Angeles so to say he would not want to play here if he leaves SA is wrong.

Rondo is washed up. Don't want him and he would be a waste of of time and resources. You need to get over what Kobe wants at this point and start thinking about the future.

D Blue987
02-15-2015, 08:17 PM
Better to complete the tanking process and see where we end up in the draft. If we end up with the top 1 or 2 pick, we can get something a hell of a lot better than giving up on the draft to get Thomas or Dragic. Either use the pick to get elite young talent or trade it for some really good role players or a superstar. Like I said, we absolutely need to complete this tanking process though because at this point this becomes a strategy for the future. Acquiring either of those guys is pointless at this juncture.

jsthornton7
02-15-2015, 08:38 PM
Regardless, the tanking process needs to end after this draft because we won't have a pick until 2017.

AussieLaker
02-15-2015, 09:07 PM
I think we need to realise we would only have around 21-24m this offseason

If we offer a max to someone with 0-6 years of experience can get 25% of the cap so based of 67m would be around 16.75m(jackson/harris/butler/leonard) or 7-9 years has 30% would be around 20.1m(dragic) (these could change depending on a few factors)

Further to that if we take 23m as our cap space ...we would have the following
23m - 16.75 = 6.25m in cap space
or
23m - 20.1 = 1.9m in cap space

jsthornton7
02-15-2015, 09:48 PM
I think we need to realise we would only have around 21-24m this offseason

If we offer a max to someone with 0-6 years of experience can get 25% of the cap so based of 67m would be around 16.75m(jackson/harris/butler/leonard) or 7-9 years has 30% would be around 20.1m(dragic) (these could change depending on a few factors)

Further to that if we take 23m as our cap space ...we would have the following
23m - 16.75 = 6.25m in cap space
or
23m - 20.1 = 1.9m in cap space

we should have around 33m to spend if we decline Hill's team option (this includes the salary for our draft pick)

mufridaz
02-15-2015, 09:56 PM
Trade j.hill, ed davis, swaggy p, Kelly, and maybe sacre

keep our 4 picks in this years draft if all goes well, our 1st, our 2nd, Houston's first, clippers 2nd

from all those players that should be at least 5 more picks maybe for next year or to maybe move up the draft this year and get not 1 but 2 top 10 players and build a young big 3 core. with the goal being okafur.

with Clarkson playing well we have:

pg:Clarkson
sg:
Sf:
PF: Julius randle
C: okafur

plug in kobe and a max offer at a 2 way SF like a buttler type player. if we can't find any we have 3 all stars in the d league on our affiliate. take a chance on some of the young players.

make some bargain bin decisions and let kobe ride out his last year in the league. Hopefully we will have developed some of the young players and make room for a KD in 2016.

I do not think its a good idea to get anyone in their 30s. If we do sign a max player should be someone that can grow with the youth and be around for years to come.

if we go all in next year and get a decent squad of some veterans kobe will get hurt the other veterans will be hurt and here we will be with no picks, no assets, and no youth to improve over the next few years.

Go for the talented youth/future picks. When the new tv deal happens we could then turn those youth/young picks into a championship team if we choose to...which is what cavs did this year and which is what boston can do anytime they want with like 20 picks in the next 5 drafts.

mufridaz
02-15-2015, 09:59 PM
dragic is a good player he's not an all star he's not a player that can carry a team on his back he is not worth 20 million.

yea I wanted to sign Isaiah Thomas this past offseason for dirt cheap, but really phil Jackson and others prefer larger guards taller guards not very short guards. Kobe needs help on defense and we need someone that can also guard his man if needed. Someone that can see the floor better and being taller helps with that. I do not like short guards at all.

I would rather see Clarkson develop rather than overpaying Thomas or trading assets for him.

mufridaz
02-15-2015, 10:05 PM
its possible although unlikely if Utah get deron Williams and already has 2 first round point guards that we could pick up an exum on the cheap. I know he has not played well this year and it maybe possible he did that on purpose to get himself to the lakers.

if that happens maybe Clarkson could play 2 guard.

then draft okafur in the draft and all we need is a SF 2 way player where we could make a max offer at or go for youth and hope Durant comes in 2016. maybe get deng on another 1 year rental of 10 mil tops.

that would leave still another 15mil or so ish maybe less to maybe get 2 or 3 decent role players to finish off the team. or save the cap space to get future assets by taking on a bad contract for the year or help facilitate trades with other teams.

mufridaz
02-15-2015, 10:12 PM
Eric pincus· Feb 12

D-Fenders have three All-Stars - Jabari Brown, Vander Blue and Roscoe Smith

we had another solid player who is now playing overseas

if we're going youth why not give our own guys a look and see what pans out. trade our vets for picks open some roster spots take a gamble on the youth and see who might be around on next years team.

buy out boozer LOL or waive him. oh I forgot Jeremy lin we might not even get a 2nd round pick for him LOL. could waive him too buy him out. that alone would free up 2 slots. is nash even on the team still lol can we buy him out to open up a roster spot? that's 3 spots we can open up.

jsthornton7
02-15-2015, 10:17 PM
its possible although unlikely if Utah get deron Williams and already has 2 first round point guards that we could pick up an exum on the cheap. I know he has not played well this year and it maybe possible he did that on purpose to get himself to the lakers.

if that happens maybe Clarkson could play 2 guard.

then draft okafur in the draft and all we need is a SF 2 way player where we could make a max offer at or go for youth and hope Durant comes in 2016. maybe get deng on another 1 year rental of 10 mil tops.

that would leave still another 15mil or so ish maybe less to maybe get 2 or 3 decent role players to finish off the team. or save the cap space to get future assets by taking on a bad contract for the year or help facilitate trades with other teams.

Would love to somehow acquire Exum. Can't see Utah giving up on him so soon though

Zachattach11
02-16-2015, 01:59 AM
I really think that if the Lakers are given the chance to acquire Thomas they should jump on the opportunity. In today's NBA point guards run this league, lets's be honest it's not because they dominate the defensive end of the court, it's because of they're ability to affect the offensive end of the court. That's not to say that there aren't PG's that aren't good defenders.
I really think that if the Lakers are given the chance to acquire Thomas they should jump on the opportunity. In today's NBA point guards run this league, lets's be honest it's not because they dominate the defensive end of the court, it's because of they're ability to affect the offensive end of the court. That's not to say that there aren't PG's that aren't good defenders. Most of today's PG's tend to be shoot first point guards. Thomas can be a very effective shooter stretching the floor but also being able to get into the lane. He's still young enough that he can become of a growing young core player for this team now and in the future. The best thing yet is that his contract is very fair for the amount of production. I am all in favor for targeting him. I think something like Hill for Thomas to lay the ground work on a deal would be a good place to start.

deadman8586
02-16-2015, 02:05 AM
I really think that if the Lakers are given the chance to acquire Thomas they should jump on the opportunity. In today's NBA point guards run this league, lets's be honest it's not because they dominate the defensive end of the court, it's because of they're ability to affect the offensive end of the court. That's not to say that there aren't PG's that aren't good defenders.

Yeah, but not now though because we need that pick and we can't have Thomas ruin the tank.

Zachattach11
02-16-2015, 02:20 AM
That is very true. Kind of don't want to do anything to screw that up. Yeah I'm still not sure they would win very many games. But I think next season he would really help with an improved roster. He's a step in the right direction. I think we should even try and grab Miles Plumlee as a part of the trade. Miles is having a rough year and his stock has fallen off. He would be a good young big to add to young front court.

mufridaz
02-16-2015, 02:57 AM
How about that C from Wisconsin frank kaminsky he might be a good back up C to replace Sacre lol looks like a solid player. Solid low post moves.

mufridaz
02-16-2015, 03:16 AM
We need help at pretty much all positions. Lets face it probally kobe's last year. So we really can go on more year without a SG replacement. We have randle at PF.

So that leaves 3 huge holes PG, SF, and C.

We need major upgrades at 2 of the 3 for sure next year.

PG: We have been trying for many years to find an answer. First we saw how slow and bad fisher was on defense. Basically all fisher did was dribble to half court pass to kobe go to the corner wait for a 3 and sometimes take a charge.

We tried sessions who bolted after a miserable year. We tried Darrius morris. We got farmer back last year who bolted to clippers after taking a huge pay cut to play for lakers.

We basically have not had a solid PG since we almost had chris paul or well we did for like an hour.

This year we tried Jeremy lin and price and now Clarkson.

Clarkson has played pretty good, but is no match for chris paul, curry, tony parker, westbrook, Bledsoe/dragic/Isaiah Thomas trio, guy on blazers just to name a few in the west. Then in the east you have irving, john wall, guy on raptors to name a couple.

A huge weakness is SF we had a vet min player as our starting SF with the worst per in the league at his position per his minutes played.

Another huge weakness has been a solid rim protector and no low post player that can dominate down low.

If we can't find an upgrade at all 3 we at least need to upgrade 2 of these positions and then find a solid defender at the other position.

I think the most important position is C followed by SF and finally PG. If we can't find a star or potential star PG at least lets try to get a solid defender such as a Patrick Beverly on the cheap if possible.

We can solve our C problems through the draft ie okafur and maybe a later pick to add another big man such as the guy I mentioned above the C from Wisconsin if he falls into our hands.

We can solve our SF position by using our cap space to give a max offer at a jimmy buttler type player. maybe we strike out but at least try.

And then use any remaining picks to find a decent PG or find one in the d-league or overseas or someone off the waiver wire on the cheap. Or like I said make a trade for a serviceable PG.

We're going to loose on PG b/c there are so many star PG's in the league. But if we have kobe, a future star C, and a star SF, and a future star in randle at PF and a serviceable PG we have a chance to at least make the playoffs and who knows with the right moves maybe make a run.

Someone like a Beverly can hit, bump, talk trash, get under their skin and hopefully disrupt the star point guards in the league. Having a defensive SF that can also score will also help kobe's bad wing defense. And a rim protecting C like an okafur will cover up some of our bad defensive woes.

I don't expect us to go anywhere next year but at least we would be building a solid foundation of young talented future stars and having some veterans mentor those young players.

mufridaz
02-16-2015, 03:18 AM
oh how could I forget steve nash and steve blake

Vinylman
02-16-2015, 10:27 AM
Regardless, the tanking process needs to end after this draft because we won't have a pick until 2017.

pessimist... the pick in 2016 is protected... I can see the Lakers sucking arse again next year and getting their pick

deadman8586
02-16-2015, 11:26 AM
That is very true. Kind of don't want to do anything to screw that up. Yeah I'm still not sure they would win very many games. But I think next season he would really help with an improved roster. He's a step in the right direction. I think we should even try and grab Miles Plumlee as a part of the trade. Miles is having a rough year and his stock has fallen off. He would be a good young big to add to young front court.

And that is why we need to pick up Hill's option over summer, and then trade him to the Suns for Thomas and Miles Plumlee.

deadman8586
02-16-2015, 11:33 AM
pessimist... the pick in 2016 is protected... I can see the Lakers sucking arse again next year and getting their pick

I don't know, but after what Magic said the other day the Lakers need to get to work, and Jim knows the clock is ticking. So let the Suns have our pick next year, but make it a little worse for them. The only way we get that pick if Kobe gets hurt again, and we don't improve this team over the summer.

deadman8586
02-16-2015, 11:35 AM
We need help at pretty much all positions. Lets face it probally kobe's last year. So we really can go on more year without a SG replacement. We have randle at PF.

So that leaves 3 huge holes PG, SF, and C.

We need major upgrades at 2 of the 3 for sure next year.

PG: We have been trying for many years to find an answer. First we saw how slow and bad fisher was on defense. Basically all fisher did was dribble to half court pass to kobe go to the corner wait for a 3 and sometimes take a charge.

We tried sessions who bolted after a miserable year. We tried Darrius morris. We got farmer back last year who bolted to clippers after taking a huge pay cut to play for lakers.

We basically have not had a solid PG since we almost had chris paul or well we did for like an hour.

This year we tried Jeremy lin and price and now Clarkson.

Clarkson has played pretty good, but is no match for chris paul, curry, tony parker, westbrook, Bledsoe/dragic/Isaiah Thomas trio, guy on blazers just to name a few in the west. Then in the east you have irving, john wall, guy on raptors to name a couple.

A huge weakness is SF we had a vet min player as our starting SF with the worst per in the league at his position per his minutes played.

Another huge weakness has been a solid rim protector and no low post player that can dominate down low.

If we can't find an upgrade at all 3 we at least need to upgrade 2 of these positions and then find a solid defender at the other position.

I think the most important position is C followed by SF and finally PG. If we can't find a star or potential star PG at least lets try to get a solid defender such as a Patrick Beverly on the cheap if possible.

We can solve our C problems through the draft ie okafur and maybe a later pick to add another big man such as the guy I mentioned above the C from Wisconsin if he falls into our hands.

We can solve our SF position by using our cap space to give a max offer at a jimmy buttler type player. maybe we strike out but at least try.

And then use any remaining picks to find a decent PG or find one in the d-league or overseas or someone off the waiver wire on the cheap. Or like I said make a trade for a serviceable PG.

We're going to loose on PG b/c there are so many star PG's in the league. But if we have kobe, a future star C, and a star SF, and a future star in randle at PF and a serviceable PG we have a chance to at least make the playoffs and who knows with the right moves maybe make a run.

Someone like a Beverly can hit, bump, talk trash, get under their skin and hopefully disrupt the star point guards in the league. Having a defensive SF that can also score will also help kobe's bad wing defense. And a rim protecting C like an okafur will cover up some of our bad defensive woes.

I don't expect us to go anywhere next year but at least we would be building a solid foundation of young talented future stars and having some veterans mentor those young players.

Yeah, but we won't be top 3 bad next year because next year's pick is top three protected if it falls out of that the Suns get it.

jsthornton7
02-16-2015, 02:52 PM

If I'm not mistaken that pick is top-3 protected. Good luck keeping it. If we suck that bad again next season the only satisfying outcome for me would be that it rids this team of Mitch and Jim.

deadman8586
02-16-2015, 04:31 PM
If I'm not mistaken that pick is top-3 protected. Good luck keeping it. If we suck that bad again next season the only satisfying outcome for me would be that it rids this team of Mitch and Jim.

And we will be awful no gm can fix this. Also might as well sell the team because none of the siblings deserves to run it.

AussieLaker
02-16-2015, 04:41 PM
we should have around 33m to spend if we decline Hill's team option (this includes the salary for our draft pick)

Question....how did you calculate 33m in Cap space?
Kobe - 25m
Young - 5.22
Randle - 3.13
Kelly - 1.75
1st rounder LAL - 4.75
1st rounder hou - 1.2
black - 845k
Clarkson - 845k
sacre - 981k
2nd rounder - 525k
2nd rounder - 525k
Total 44.77m
Cap is at 68m roughly

New Power House
02-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Howard Beck: Suns were active on the phones this weekend. The sense is they are ready to deal Dragic, rather than risk losing him to free agency. Twitter @HowardBeck

Rumors tagsPhoenix Suns, Trade, Goran Dragic Share on FacebookShare on TwitterSubscribe to HoopsHype rumors
- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.DvdP5kaM.dpuf

Pressure on the suns! Houston's pick and Young or Hill or whoever they want. But he has to agree to sign first or they can kiss our a r s! This only if they want this guy. I personally like Rondo,becuase of his experience,passing skills and defensive ability.

New Power House
02-16-2015, 05:39 PM
Kobe - 25m
Young - 5.22
Randle - 3.13
Kelly - 1.75
1st rounder LAL - 4.75
1st rounder hou - 1.2
black - 845k
Clarkson - 845k
sacre - 981k
2nd rounder - 525k
2nd rounder - 525k
Total 44.77m
Cap is at 68m roughly
Either way cap is ging to aloud us to have about 30 mill and maybe more. Also Hill's contract could be cut next season if a cheaper taller center comes about. Asik? He could be pair with maybe Oka or Towns and even WCS if Lakers get to buy Rondo or someone else to run the team.

AussieLaker
02-16-2015, 08:21 PM
Either way cap is ging to aloud us to have about 30 mill and maybe more. Also Hill's contract could be cut next season if a cheaper taller center comes about. Asik? He could be pair with maybe Oka or Towns and even WCS if Lakers get to buy Rondo or someone else to run the team.

The current cap is set at 63.065m and Im pretty sure next years cap is only going to go up to around 67-68m. So regardless we will only have 22-24m to spend not 30m.

The following year the cap would be around 88-90m

jsthornton7
02-16-2015, 09:08 PM
The current cap is set at 63.065m and Im pretty sure next years cap is only going to go up to around 67-68m. So regardless we will only have 22-24m to spend not 30m.

The following year the cap would be around 88-90m

We'll have enough for two max players this offseason.

AussieLaker
02-16-2015, 09:33 PM
We'll have enough for two max players this offseason.

I doubt that
Max contract for a player with 0-6 years exp is roughly 16.75m and jumps to 20m+ for a player like dragic
Either way we would be left with 2-8m left over

Rocco007
02-17-2015, 12:51 AM
Gary Lee @LakersNation about 1 hour ago

Yeah, #FutureLaker. RT @Isaiah Thomas: Man that Kobe interview was too real! The way he thinks is just different #BlackMamba

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/tag/los_angeles_lakers#ixzz3RyUzgVOw

jsthornton7
02-17-2015, 03:25 AM
I doubt that
Max contract for a player with 0-6 years exp is roughly 16.75m and jumps to 20m+ for a player like dragic
Either way we would be left with 2-8m left over

This is incorrect. If we are looking at say Jimmy butler or Kawhi Leonard, a contract would start at around 14m. Also, if you are that eager at getting into specifics we hold a team option on Jordan Clarkson and Sacre. meanwhile Ed Davis has a player option which will guaranteed be exercised and that's besides the point. You don't think even if they were short a little bit they could find someone to take Ryan Kelly's contract?

AussieLaker
02-17-2015, 07:26 AM
This is incorrect. If we are looking at say Jimmy butler or Kawhi Leonard, a contract would start at around 14m. Also, if you are that eager at getting into specifics we hold a team option on Jordan Clarkson and Sacre. meanwhile Ed Davis has a player option which will guaranteed be exercised and that's besides the point. You don't think even if they were short a little bit they could find someone to take Ryan Kelly's contract?
Isn't it 25% of the cap so if the cap is set at 67m then 25% of that is 16.75m?

Vinylman
02-17-2015, 01:56 PM

I am sure the league has some shenanigans up their sleeves... all the Lakers have to do to get a top 3 pick is miss the playoffs (see Cleveland).

McAllen Tx
02-17-2015, 02:20 PM
I am sure the league has some kshenanigans up their sleeves... all the Lakers have to do to get a top 3 pick is miss the playoffs (see Cleveland).

Haha that would be nice.

jsthornton7
02-18-2015, 04:13 AM
Aussie - Not if its a restricted FA. Check out Gordon Heywards contract for a reference. He was offered a max deal.

jsthornton7
02-18-2015, 04:16 AM
I am sure the league has some shenanigans up their sleeves... all the Lakers have to do to get a top 3 pick is miss the playoffs (see Cleveland).

league shenanigans < buss curse + mitch incompetence

mufridaz
02-18-2015, 05:23 AM
kobe 25mil
j.hill 9mil team option
young 5.2
randle 3.1
Kelly 1.7
ed davis 1.1 player option will opt out
sacre 981k
black 845 k
Clarkson 845k

35mil guaranteed
47mil all included

So that's just 9 players. Lets assume cap is 70 mil that would give us 33 mil in cap. But just resigning j.hill at 9 mil and paying dragic 20 mil would eat up almost all of that with little to nothing to get 5 other players to make a full roster.

Ed davis is worthy of at least 5-6 mil so keeping him will be hard.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2368340-which-rumored-team-is-top-fit-for-goran-dragic-entering-2015-nba-trade-deadline

is a decent article saying why out of heat, knicks, lakers the lakers would be better fit and could be had for say ed davis Houston's 1st plus ellington for dragic and filler (maybe plumlee). Personally I do not see why we should give phoenix anymore of our picks especially when we can get him for no assets in free agency. And cut 20 mil in half and maybe we can start for his salary.

mufridaz
02-18-2015, 05:35 AM
Lets assume we get a top 5 pick what's he going to cost 5mil per year at least. Lets say we do resign hill which would be stupid since he's not a C and we have randle, black, ed davis, Kelly at PF. We basically could make a play at a max offer and then get another really good player but not a max player then fill our the roster with vet min type guys.

I do realize the Jordan hill resigning is included in the 47 mil so we would still have 33 mil after that. But we need at least 5 mil for top 5 player assuming we keep the tank alive that drops it down to 28 mil in cap space. Assume ed davis opts out and we can't afford him.

So that's 28 mil in cap space for :
1. kobe
2. randle
3. top 5 pick
4. sacre
5. Clarkson
6. ellington ? vet min?
7. swaggy
8.black
9. Kelly

We still need 6 more players with that 28 million and that's assuming ellington returns for vet min. If not 7 more players to share 28 million or about 6*5 = 30 million. So lets say its 6 players that's less than 5 million per player.

After we pay dragic 20 million all we would have is 8 million left to get 5 more players and that is maybe one more decent role player and rest vet min or scrubs. Plus we loose j.hill and ed davis for nothing.

That 33 million in cap space dries up really fast when your overpaying for average to above avg older pg like dragic.

AussieLaker
02-18-2015, 05:49 AM
kobe 25mil
j.hill 9mil team option
young 5.2
randle 3.1
Kelly 1.7
ed davis 1.1 player option will opt out
sacre 981k
black 845 k
Clarkson 845k

35mil guaranteed
47mil all included

So that's just 9 players. Lets assume cap is 70 mil that would give us 33 mil in cap. But just resigning j.hill at 9 mil and paying dragic 20 mil would eat up almost all of that with little to nothing to get 5 other players to make a full roster.

Ed davis is worthy of at least 5-6 mil so keeping him will be hard.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2368340-which-rumored-team-is-top-fit-for-goran-dragic-entering-2015-nba-trade-deadline

is a decent article saying why out of heat, knicks, lakers the lakers would be better fit and could be had for say ed davis Houston's 1st plus ellington for dragic and filler (maybe plumlee). Personally I do not see why we should give phoenix anymore of our picks especially when we can get him for no assets in free agency. And cut 20 mil in half and maybe we can start for his salary.

Referring back to my original post with the players I listed.
No Hill or Davis
The cap is projected to be 66-68m based on early estimates.
In no world would we have 33m in Cap space
You need to factor in the cap holds for all our picks.
So you need to add in
1st pick (la) 4.75m
1st pick (hou) 1.2m roughly
2nd rounder 525k
2nd rounder 525k
Cap hold 525k
You need to account for 12 people before factoring in cap space.
So we are at 45.3m

67m -45.3m is 21.7m in cap space it could reach a.bit higher extra 1.5m perhaps depending where our pick falls.
So our max cap space would be around 23m

mufridaz
02-18-2015, 05:50 AM
sry my math is wrong i'm tired lol.

assuming ed davis opts out we can't afford assume j.hill doesn't get resigned for team option. Total salary of guaranteed contracts is 35 million assume cap is 70.

That leaves 35 mil in cap space. Our team would be 8 players kobe, randle,top 5 pick, sacre, Clarkson, swaggy, black, and Kelly. Having that top 5 pick would eat 5 mil bringing our available cap down to 30 mil.

A team is 15 players we have 8 so we need 7 more and have 30 mil to fill our rest of roster.

Paying someone like dragic 20 mil would basically mean 6 players sharing 10 million dollars. Or we could say get a 10 million dollar player deng for example made 10 this year. Then fill out the other 5 players with vet min contracts which wouldn't count towards the tax.

For the hell of it lets plug in these 2 players:

PG dragic, Clarkson
SG kobe, swaggy
SF deng, kelly
PF randle, black
C okafur,sacre

That team could be a playoff team but no chance at a ring. And then fill in rest with vet min etc.

And that is assuming a lot like we land the number 1 overall pick this year in okafur. Chances are we won't and we will have to pay 10 mil plus for a rim protector not named j.hill who is a PF.

Even deng is no longer an elite defender and dragic doesn't have defense in his name.

That team may not even make the playoffs get ousted in first round lol.

To truly have a chance we need a total rebuild. If we do take a chance on dragic needs to be 10-12 mil range. then get another young star on a max deal 15 mil and then we could still have room for another solid player for MLE. Maybe a little luck from our youth and some nice cheap vets that come along for kobe's last year and maybe we have a chance at a top 5 seed.

AussieLaker
02-18-2015, 05:53 AM
Lol you need to change your cap space from 30m to 22m roughly

mufridaz
02-18-2015, 05:57 AM
· 5h 5 hours ago

If Lakers traded for Dragic, obviously they'd get his Bird rights - his cap hold is $11.25 mil as a FA, re-signed his cap number his salary

0 replies 26 retweets 18 favorites

 Reply

 Retweet 26

 Favorite 18

 More

Eric Pincus @EricPincus
· 5h 5 hours ago
My Lakers' cap calculations do not include Jordan Hill's $9 mil - obviously if he's on the team - that's $9 mil less cap

0 replies 11 retweets 4 favorites

 Reply

 Retweet 11

 Favorite 4

 More

Eric Pincus @EricPincus
· 5h 5 hours ago
As far as the Lakers' top-5 pick situation - thinking they're going to be be awful regardless of what they do rest of way

0 replies 23 retweets 10 favorites

 Reply

 Retweet 23

 Favorite 10

 More

Eric Pincus @EricPincus
· 5h 5 hours ago
If Lakers went after Dragic in trade - could still have in ballpark of $11-13 mil in cap space before re-resigning + top-5 pick potentially

0 replies 54 retweets 36 favorites

 Reply

 Retweet 54

 Favorite 36

 More

Eric Pincus @EricPincus
· 5h 5 hours ago
If the Lakers trade for Dragic, then sign over summer - they have more spending power than outright going after Dragic in FA

mufridaz
02-18-2015, 06:02 AM
Yea your right aussie I was just reading someone's post and they had the 33 mil in cap number its in reality like you said a lot less.

I guess the only point I was making is we're going to be aweful no matter what at least we should try to build a solid core of cheap elite youth and then try to get whatever we can young talented potential star with whatever cap is left over.

I forgot about all the cap holds etc.

Adding a dragic and loosing j.hill and ed davis we would actually be worse than we were this year probally.

A good point guard needs shooters to pass to on penetrations and we need defenders and a rim protector.

My hope for today is that we trade our vets for youth future assets total rebuild. maybe kobe will get so mad he will ask for a trade and we can get 2 1st's for him lol.

lin, Kelly, ed davis, j.hill, buyout boozer, buyout nash, swaggy p would be a good start. sign some d league guys with some upside and see what they got let the youngsters play.

AussieLaker
02-18-2015, 06:03 AM
Yeah what your point lol. If we trade for dragic he has a cap hold of 11.25m. Regardless we would only have 11-13m to spend after that in that scenario.
No where near 30m.

AussieLaker
02-18-2015, 06:05 AM
Lol yeah we do need to trade hill,Lin,davis and even ellington or Wesley.
Also we need to cut boozer and call up some d league guys

Btw just saw your post as I pressed send

mufridaz
02-18-2015, 06:07 AM
Kobe - 25m
Young - 5.22
Randle - 3.13
Kelly - 1.75
1st rounder LAL - 4.75
1st rounder hou - 1.2
black - 845k
Clarkson - 845k
sacre - 981k
2nd rounder - 525k
2nd rounder - 525k
Total 44.77m
Cap is at 68m roughly

I guess it was page 3 jsthorton where I saw the 33 number which was the wrong number in reality sry lol.

AussieLaker
02-18-2015, 06:10 AM
Aussie - Not if its a restricted FA. Check out Gordon Heywards contract for a reference. He was offered a max deal.

Max contracts go up each year as they are based off the caP. If the cap goes up so do the contracts that player signed.
If the cap is set at 67m the max for harris or butler would be at 16.75m

mufridaz
02-18-2015, 06:19 AM
yea my point was your right i'm wrong lol. its 5am just excited to see what happens on this last day. I think signing dragic would be a major mistake to play a slightly above avg player 20 mil for 4 years.

and then we would have little to no money left to improve the rest of the roster such as a star or potential star SF. and we have no guarantee of landing okafur in the draft. we have 3 major holes PG/SF/C and we can't splurge almost all our cap on one player. If we got 22 mil I would rather spend it on one 12 mil guy and one 10 mil guy and rest vet min. then trade a guy like Kelly for a pick to make room for the 1.2 mil cap hold on Houston's pick or something like that. Either way we're going to suck next year I'm just hoping we have some youth/picks to rebuild on similar to what boston has done like what 20 picks over the next 5 years or so give or take a few.

AussieLaker
02-18-2015, 06:54 AM
We don't need to trade Kelly. The cap hold for the hou pick was already calculated

mufridaz
02-18-2015, 07:04 AM
but about the original post suns would prefer to keep dragic and get rid of someone like green and Isaiah but doesn't look like dragic wants to stay. but us giving suns yet another 1st rounder would be too much for me to swallow.

I would like to see the thunder get maybe brook lopez get a C that can score to replace perkins and also trade their pg they despise to help get them into the playoff hunt. the thunder would be good with a strong inside low post threat on offense I believe with ibaka westbrook Durant and that new sg they got via trade and whatever pg they get tomorrow.

Instead of us going after the guys that every team wants like dragic why not take a chance on the left overs the cast aways the guys that people don't want have nothing left in the tank are washed up and yet are still young such as a lance Stephenson. we wouldn't have to give up much.

I expect afflalo traded to a contender, prince either bought out or traded to a wanta be contender. I would love to see deron Williams go to Utah. Would like the knicks to trade calderon.

And of course would like lakers to trade Kelly, lin, nash buyout , boozer buyout or cut, swaggy, ed davis, j.hill just to name a few. Anyone not named kobe, randle, Clarkson is fair game.

I would like to see the warriors trade david lee as they cannot afford him anymore. Hear pacers want to trade david west but not sure too many teams want to pick him up. Another option for thunder if I was mj would be to trade al Jefferson to say the thunder for a first rounder or 2 if possible. Would also like to see the bulls make a move to improve their roster as well but with noah being hurt unlikely taj Gibson being traded anytime soon. The mavs picking up stoudameire off buyout was interesting. Well just my thoughts guess we will have to wait till 3pm today to find out all what happened. Keeping my fingers crossed mitch can make some magic happen.

mufridaz
02-18-2015, 07:11 AM
I would trade Kelly to someone like dallas to be dirk's backup a true stretch 4. I like a PF to be like a dennis rodman or someone like a Jordan hill a strong rebounder, hustler, but like rodman focus on defense, passing, setting screens, a guy like ed davis who can collect garbage rebounds and put them back up for layups. A guy that requires no plays be run for him but still give you a double double in pt/rebounds. Kelly would be perfect to learn behind dirk. I do not believe Kelly has what it takes to be a SF lacks quickness and lateral movement to stay with those guys. Kelly I would think would be able to fetch a late first. But what do I know he might turn into something special. But with randle already our future PF he either has to learn to be a SF or find another home. But mavs picking up amare is weird b/c he's nothing like dirk more of a driver to the rim instead of a pure jump shooter 3 pt specialist. Well going to bed gn all.

Vinylman
02-18-2015, 09:12 AM
league shenanigans < buss curse + mitch incompetence

lets hope not ... but sadly you are probably correct

J4KOP99
02-18-2015, 10:17 AM
Let dragic go to the Knicks. We need picks. Not a slightly above average pg who is expecting a max deal next year.

I know it's tough to bring guys in when we don't have anything on our roster but don't panic and trade for dragic.

royal bob
02-18-2015, 12:50 PM
I will be shocked if the Lakers make any trades before the deadline. There is nothing of any value being shopped around, and Dragic would be a poor acquisition. In no world is he a max value player

Rocco007
02-18-2015, 02:13 PM
Along with proposing a trade for Thomas rather than Dragic, Phoenix reportedly asked Los Angeles to remove the top-five protection on the draft pick they owe the Suns, via Shelburne

:laugh:

It's Maaaaaagic
02-18-2015, 02:44 PM
Keep the tank rolling.

epizo1
02-18-2015, 03:06 PM
We absolutely need to keep our picks. However if we can pry Dragic without giving a pic, add a guy like Larry Sanders who is gonna be bought out, add a top 5 draft pick this summer, a returning Randle and Kobe, and add one middle tier young FA this summer and the Lakers will have a solid core moving to the future. Reggie Jackson has asked for a trade too but I would prefer Dragic in my opinion.