PDA

View Full Version : Mock Trade Game (Round 1) Clippers vs Grizzlies

Shammyguy3
02-14-2015, 01:39 PM
The Bulls' forum hosted the Mock Trade game again this year. Teams were combined to make an even 20 team league. Conferences were adjusted to compensate for disparity in talent. The top-8 teams in each conference made the playoffs. Vote on the poll for which team you think would win in a 7-game series. Players are considered 100% healthy. If they have been out the whole year, use the last season that they played and take about 80% of their production to vote (e.g. Paul George).

3. Los Angeles Clippers (Home Court)
PG: Damian Lillard - Aaron Brooks - Jordan Farmar
SG: Jimmy Butler - Martell Webster - CJ McCollum - Chris Douglas-Roberts
SF: Mike Dunleavy - Al-Farouq Aminu
PF: Pau Gasol - Terrence Jones
C: DeAndre Jordan - Jordan Hill - Kris Humphries

6. Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Ty Lawson -Isiah Thomas- Beno Udrih
SG: Wesley Matthews -Evan Fournier-Nick Calathes
SF: Batum -Shabazz Muhammad-Richard Jefferson
PF: Zach Randolph -Brandon Bass- Jon Leuer
C: Marc Gasol - J.J. Hickson

Grizzlies Write-Up

Congratulations to Shammy for making the playoffs, he made a pretty solid roster. However, it would not end out in favor of his team against my Grizzlies in a 7 game series. The key of this series is defense, and the Clippers might have upgraded their defense at the SG position, but they managed to downgrade at every other position. Their defensive situation which was already bad, only got worse. While Butler is a pretty solid defender, he cannot guard Zach Randolph or Marc Gasol. The biggest mis-match of the series is Zbo/Marc Gasol Vs Pau Gasol/Jordan. To compare the PF’s h2hs, which is a 31 game sample.

Zbo- 18 pts/10 rbds 31mpg
P. Gasol-16pts/9 rbds 36mpg
Analysis, Zbo averages better #s while playing 5 minutes less. Zbo will continue to bully Pau in the post, with no help coming his way. Now, let’s see how Jordan matchups up with Marc Gasol. We have a nice 13 game sample size in the playoffs for this matchup, where Gasol just abused Jordan.

M.Gasol-16/7
Jordan-3.6/5

This matchup is so lopsided, there is no way the Clippers can make up for this. Grizzlies have the most efficient front court in the league, and get to feast on what is one of the worse.

To counter the Lillard>Lawson argument, Lillard is the #1 option on the Clippers. Can Lillard handle being the man of a team? A team that has two black holes on offense? When LMA was out, Lillard really struggled, which indicates he might not be ready to be “the man”. Lawson has been the #1 option on the Nuggets, and he won’t have to be one here for the Grizzlies. What is really fascinating is, Lawson averages 10 assists per game on the Nuggets, which puts him 2nd in the NBA, .2 behind John Wall. Imagine what he could do when he has weapons down low and on the perimeter? Another cool fact, Lawson is ranked 3rd in the NBA in assists/turnover ratio, at 3.73, he is .3 behind Barea, who is a 3rd string PG. This really shows how dominant Lawson can be with the ball, and his elite play-making attributes. So in reality, yes Lillard is the better PG, but will he put up the same #s he did with the Blazers, being the clear cut #2 option?

Shammyguy3
02-14-2015, 06:46 PM
bump, c'mon voters

Shammyguy3
02-14-2015, 08:52 PM
My offensive pecking order Lillard/Butler/Pau can go any way, and that's what's gonna ultimately win me this series. Memphis is really good, but there's no way that Ty Lawson won't get exposed guarding either Butler or Lillard. My bench is also better than their bench, at positions 2-5.

Think about how good the real-life Bulls are. Then, switch out Noah's subpar season with DeAndre Jordan and then swap out Derrick Rose's highly inconsistent season with Lillard and I think my team just has the necessary offense/defense/passing/transition and half-court sets to take out this Memphis team.

jakub
02-15-2015, 02:19 AM
My offensive pecking order Lillard/Butler/Pau can go any way, and that's what's gonna ultimately win me this series. Memphis is really good, but there's no way that Ty Lawson won't get exposed guarding either Butler or Lillard. My bench is also better than their bench, at positions 2-5.

Think about how good the real-life Bulls are. Then, switch out Noah's subpar season with DeAndre Jordan and then swap out Derrick Rose's highly inconsistent season with Lillard and I think my team just has the necessary offense/defense/passing/transition and half-court sets to take out this Memphis team.

While Ty Lawson is not an elite defender, he certainty is very capable of playing solid defense. If we are talking about players who can't contain others, let's talk about Lillard, who is one of the worse defensive point guards in the league. 110 Defensive rating, and I'd love to see him "try" to contain Ty Lawson. The grizzlies have so many options to throw at Lillard, who has gradually been shooting worse each month. We can throw Lawson/Matthews/Batum at him, and his team would not be able to take advantage.

The best bench piece in this series is by far Isiah Thomas. He is a huge factor in this series as not only can he bury shots, but he can distrubte very well. Also not sure how a guy who averages 3ppg on 27% shooting(Webster) from the field is better than a guy who averages 12 ppg on 44% shooting(Fournier). Also per 36, Hickson averages 15/12 and Hill averages 16/10, while Hickson being the more efficient scorer. The difference between IT3/Brooks and Fournier/Webster outweighs the small advantages he has in SF/PF position.

The real question to ask is, think about how good the real life Grizzlies are. Then take out their biggest weakness and replace them with two top notch wing players, while downgrading the PG spot slightly. Again, this Clippers defense will get exposed, where the Grizzlies are filled with elite defenders.

Shammyguy3
02-15-2015, 01:19 PM
Lawson is not a guy that is certainly capable of playing solid defense. What does that even mean? That he's bad in real life, but somewhere deep inside him you know that he has the capacity? Nope, not buying it.

Martell Webster missed most of this season recovering from injury. Look at his production last year, better than Fournier.

Lawson is a significant downgrade from Conley in real life.

KnicksorBust
02-15-2015, 08:16 PM

Switching out noah for jordan is supposed to make your team look better?

Shammyguy3
02-16-2015, 08:02 PM
Memphis wins.