PDA

View Full Version : Jared Dudley says Doc Rivers Asked Him To Play On Fractured Knee

Redrum187
02-13-2015, 03:02 PM
http://prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=341635

After spending last season with the Clippers, Jared Dudley was traded to the Bucks last summer and has been a valuable member of head coach Jason Kidd’s rotation. While the Clippers made the playoffs for the third year in a row, Dudley suffered through a disappointing season, one in which he was hampered by a troublesome knee injury.

Dudley initially believed tendinitis was the issue, but an x-ray later showed there was a small fracture. With the Clippers shorthanded, Rivers asked Dudley to play through the discomfort.

“I really couldn’t bend my knee 90 degrees so I had to deal with that for the first month or so Dudley said on Zach Lowe’s Grantland podcast via ESPN. I basically went to Doc Rivers and said, ‘Hey, I’ve never had to deal with this, I can’t bend my knee, all my shots are short, I can’t move laterally, I need to sit out.’ At that time Matt Barnes was out with a calf injury and J.J. Redick was out with a herniated disk and he said, ‘Hey, I need you to give me 10-15 games and when those guys come back, I’ll give you a rest.'”

The veteran also mentioned it was his understanding that after playing through the injury he would get a chance to return to Clippers this season healthy and with a clean slate. That obviously didn’t happen with the team sending him to Milwaukee in August.

At this point, the move has worked out well for Dudley. The 51% he’s shooting from the floor would be his career-high and the Bucks have surprised everyone with a 30-23 record at all-star break.

What do you guys make of this?

[Note: Respond as you please, but I want to preemptively say that just because other coaches have done this doesn't make it ethical. Please do not derail thread about what other coaches have done.]

jerellh528
02-13-2015, 03:20 PM
He's a player's coach

Slug3
02-13-2015, 03:34 PM
Asked and not forced. He could have sat out.

Tony_Starks
02-13-2015, 03:43 PM
He sounds like a female right now. Keep that stuff in house dude, you're team is playing good right now have a coke and a smile....

JEDean89
02-13-2015, 03:49 PM
these decisions shouldn't be up to coaches and players. No player should be allowed to play on a broken knee, if something had happened he could have been permanently crippled. Why risk that to win a game?

More-Than-Most
02-13-2015, 04:30 PM
nope the coach is out of line. People saying ask and telling arent in that situation... What is a player suppose to say when you have guys that constantly play hurt like kobe and so on... Its a situation no player should be put in.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-13-2015, 04:33 PM
I read a different article pretty much same scoop though early this morning. But Dudley mentioned he was thankful being traded to Milwaukee.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2015, 04:38 PM
if this is something that could have caused future damage, he should not have been playing on it. I get that playing with pain needs to be done, but only when the circumstance isn't going to cause him to be gimping around after his career is over.

I see both sides though. When you invest $51,829 per game into a guy, he should play through some pain. But I also think, if the player is hurting, and it can literally cause long term damage, he should sit.

Chronz
02-14-2015, 12:37 AM
I'm all for playing theithrough manageable pain but doc was an idiot for giving up on him so quickly. Can he plz step the **** down already

Cracka2HI!
02-14-2015, 04:03 AM
I know Dudley isn't a big time player or anything but the Clippers would probably have 2-3 more wins if he was still on the team and I'd feel a lot better about their championship hopes. His bounce back was so predictable. Anyone could see it coming except Doc. It really makes me sick.

sugarrayray
02-14-2015, 06:07 AM
He sounds like a female right now. Keep that stuff in house dude, you're team is playing good right now have a coke and a smile....

I feel so sorry for all women who know you....

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-14-2015, 08:40 AM
Dudley been really decent with the Bucks. Not to rub it in but we even got a protected first taking him.

IndyRealist
02-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Asked and not forced. He could have sat out.

And expect no retaliation? If he said no he never would have made it back into the rotation AND would have definitely been traded at the very least, if not buried on the bench and blackballed out of the NBA. His understanding was that if he played, and played poorly because he was injured, that it would not be held against him. So the choice was, say yes and keep your coach happy, or say no and your coach ruins your career.

Corey
02-15-2015, 02:15 PM
I know Dudley isn't a big time player or anything but the Clippers would probably have 2-3 more wins if he was still on the team and I'd feel a lot better about their championship hopes. His bounce back was so predictable. Anyone could see it coming except Doc. It really makes me sick.

Agreed 100%. Anyone watching knew he was playing hurt and he wasn't himself. He's playing great this year.

Sadds The Gr8
02-15-2015, 02:38 PM
Not a big deal Imo unless doc really forced him to play. He just asked Dudley to buy him time til other players got back. If Dudley just said he really couldn't play on it I think doc would've let him rest.

If he forced Dudley to play then it's a big deal.

IndyRealist
02-15-2015, 04:16 PM
Not a big deal Imo unless doc really forced him to play. He just asked Dudley to buy him time til other players got back. If Dudley just said he really couldn't play on it I think doc would've let him rest.

If he forced Dudley to play then it's a big deal.
What if he said no? Don't you think he would have been punished for refusing? I could very well see Doc blackballing him out of the league, telling other coaches he's not a team player, selfish, etc. At the very least Doc would have traded him, which is what happened by saying yes. So really, he had no incentive to play injured at all, except for the fear of reprisal.

Sadds The Gr8
02-15-2015, 04:27 PM
What if he said no? Don't you think he would have been punished for refusing? I could very well see Doc blackballing him out of the league, telling other coaches he's not a team player, selfish, etc. At the very least Doc would have traded him, which is what happened by saying yes. So really, he had no incentive to play injured at all, except for the fear of reprisal.
Maybe. Doc probably just wanted bodies out there since 2 wings were injured and Dudley probably understood doc's point. Who knows, really.... It's like taking a sick day at work and your boss schmoozing you into coming in because there are a couple co-workers on vacation.

I listened to that podcast and it didn't seem like Dudley had any resentment or Ill will. It just sounded like he was giving a reason as to why he was so bad last year.

omdigga
02-15-2015, 04:44 PM
Maybe. Doc probably just wanted bodies out there since 2 wings were injured and Dudley probably understood doc's point. Who knows, really.... It's like taking a sick day at work and your boss schmoozing you into coming in because there are a couple co-workers on vacation.

I listened to that podcast and it didn't seem like Dudley had any resentment or Ill will. It just sounded like he was giving a reason as to why he was so bad last year.

This. Shows he's a team player. The Bucks are lucky they got him.

Giannis94
02-15-2015, 05:01 PM
This. Shows he's a team player. The Bucks are lucky they got him.

And that first rd pick (yes I know it will likely be 2 2's)

NetsPaint
02-17-2015, 02:42 AM
these decisions shouldn't be up to coaches and players. No player should be allowed to play on a broken knee, if something had happened he could have been permanently crippled. Why risk that to win a game?
I agree.

What's much more mind-boggling is when Rondo was playing with one arm and somehow was allowed to play as long as he did.

Goose17
02-17-2015, 04:43 AM
if this is something that could have caused future damage, he should not have been playing on it. I get that playing with pain needs to be done, but only when the circumstance isn't going to cause him to be gimping around after his career is over.

I see both sides though. When you invest $51,829 per game into a guy, he should play through some pain. But I also think, if the player is hurting, and it can literally cause long term damage, he should sit.

My thoughts exactly^

hugepatsfan
02-17-2015, 11:09 AM
"Asked him to play" is just too generic a description for me to say one way or another. Doc isn't in Dudley's body so the only way for him to know if the pain is too much for Dudley to play through is to ask. Nothing wrong with asking a guy if he can give you anything on the court, even in a reduced role. If Dudley said he didn't feel he could play and Doc continued to press the issue and apply pressure on him until he broke then that's a different story.