PDA

View Full Version : Rockets reportedly pursuing Goran Dragic before trade deadline

FlashBolt
02-13-2015, 12:46 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12320318/houston-rockets-trying-work-trade-phoenix-suns-goran-dragic-sources

Damn, this wouldn't be bad.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-13-2015, 12:52 PM
Probably starts with Pelicans pick and salary filler Terry and either Jones and/or Montiejunas to get it done.

Htownballa1622
02-13-2015, 01:06 PM
In Dm we trust

Max.This
02-13-2015, 01:12 PM
thats a shocker. Don't see many teams with a need for a point guard matched with assets

king4day
02-13-2015, 01:18 PM
Probably starts with Pelicans pick and salary filler Terry and either Jones and/or Montiejunas to get it done.

This is suns fans thinking too. Suns could add miles to the deal too

Pakman
02-13-2015, 01:20 PM
So Morey agrees with Barkley that they're no championship contender as they stand now

goingfor28
02-13-2015, 01:33 PM
The Los Angeles Lakers, who have also coveted Dragic for some time, are likewise presumed to be intent on testing the Suns' resolve when it comes to their Slovenian point guard, since sources say L.A. plans to chase Dragic with an expected max four-year contract offer this summer valued at an estimated $80 million.

IndyRealist
02-13-2015, 01:35 PM
So Morey agrees with Barkley that they're no championship contender as they stand now

Because you shouldn't take every opportunity to make your team better?

IndyRealist
02-13-2015, 01:42 PM
Any chance Enes Kanter and Utah get in on this, or are they committed to Len and want a PF?

Redrum187
02-13-2015, 01:59 PM
This would be a home run for Houston. I'd love it!

Six-8-TheWizard
02-13-2015, 01:59 PM
Any chance Enes Kanter and Utah get in on this, or are they committed to Len and want a PF?

I would think they are committed to Len, but I haven't been able to follow them as closely this year so I'm not really in touch with the fan voice

HoopsDrive
02-13-2015, 02:01 PM
Feel bad for the Suns, really wanted to see them in the playoffs. But the Rockets would become an extremely dangerous opponent in the West with Dragic so there's also part of me that wants to see this happen.

lakerfan85
02-13-2015, 02:02 PM
The Los Angeles Lakers, who have also coveted Dragic for some time, are likewise presumed to be intent on testing the Suns' resolve when it comes to their Slovenian point guard, since sources say L.A. plans to chase Dragic with an expected max four-year contract offer this summer valued at an estimated $80 million.

That's absurd..

jerellh528
02-13-2015, 02:08 PM

I read this earlier today, I hope he goes to Houston and resigns with them. No damn way I want him for 20 mil per season. I wouldn't even sign him to more than 13 per season.

D-Leethal
02-13-2015, 02:09 PM

Maybe in a 3-way but I don't see why it makes sense for Utah. Doubtful Dragic resigns there and they have used two lottery picks on PGs in the past 3 years. I think they are high on that Aussie kid.

nastynice
02-13-2015, 02:16 PM
houston could start looking A LOT more dangerous...

futureman
02-13-2015, 02:19 PM
Morey is the idiot who traded him in the first place. Phoenix is equally dumb for trading him for the second time. Dragic should tell both teams to go to hell.

futureman
02-13-2015, 02:20 PM

Kanter can't pass. That's why he has no value.

Htownballa1622
02-13-2015, 02:25 PM
Morey is the idiot who traded him in the first place. Phoenix is equally dumb for trading him for the second time. Dragic should tell both teams to go to hell.

Morey never traded him. He walked in free agency.

You sure Morey is the idiot here?

futureman
02-13-2015, 02:37 PM
Sorry. I thought he was traded.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2015, 02:45 PM

wasn't the Harden trade pretty quickly done after they let Dragic walk?

If only Morey had a crystal ball haha, Dragic would never have left.

valade16
02-13-2015, 03:08 PM

Well Morey let him walk because his contract was I think 4 years $30 million, which is a bargain for him now.

I'm sure Houston wants Dragic, but I can't see Phoenix trading him for NO's 1st and Terrence Jones. I think Phoenix wants a higher pick in the deal.

lakerfan85
02-13-2015, 03:19 PM
Didn't they let Dragic walk so they could sign Lin?

Htownballa1622
02-13-2015, 03:25 PM
wasn't the Harden trade pretty quickly done after they let Dragic walk?

If only Morey had a crystal ball haha, Dragic would never have left.
I can't remember how close but I just remember getting a notification that we traded for Harden right before the start of the season. We were preparing to tank I think. He def. Wanted to keep him but the 4th year p.o. didn't look good for a team not knowing if we would even need him.

Well Morey let him walk because his contract was I think 4 years $30 million, which is a bargain for him now.

I'm sure Houston wants Dragic, but I can't see Phoenix trading him for NO's 1st and Terrence Jones. I think Phoenix wants a higher pick in the deal.

Yeah he let him walk because the 4th year player option.

The thing with lin was that his was 3rd years and our owner wanted him for the revenue he'd bring in (knowing we were preparing to tank).

Then we stumbled on Harden and the rest is history.

Looking back, I'm sure we wish we would've kept dragic if we could but who knows what would have happened.

Also, I just don't know how much higher a pick they can get when dragic is a free agent. 13 or 14th pick might be the best they can get.

Tony_Starks
02-13-2015, 03:48 PM
Why did Morey the genius let him go in the first place? Was it the analytics talking?....

Hawkeye15
02-13-2015, 04:01 PM
Why did Morey the genius let him go in the first place? Was it the analytics talking?....

Because Dragic was their best player arguably, and they were better off just letting him walk. Had they known they would get Harden in the near future, they would have never let him walk.

It wasn't analytics, it was another thing most ex-players have zip knowledge of-the salary cap and its ramifications.

mightybosstone
02-13-2015, 04:05 PM
Because Dragic was their best player arguably, and they were better off just letting him walk. Had they known they would get Harden in the near future, they would have never let him walk.

It wasn't analytics, it was another thing most ex-players have zip knowledge of-the salary cap and its ramifications.

This. Morey didn't want to let Dragic go. But they were going nowhere with that roster, and Morey didn't want to give Dragic a fourth year when it didn't look like they were remotely close to being a contender anytime soon. If Morey had known they were about to get Harden, not a chance in hell does he let Dragic go. It was just a timing thing.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-13-2015, 04:54 PM
Not sure I see it as a timing thing. Seems like the hype train of Rockets interested in Harden was there for how long. Months of trading pieces to get picks and young assets and showcasing Martin. Besides he had Thunder over a barrel since they didn't wanna pay luxury tax by re-signing Harden. Even though they probably had a championship by now if they kept Harden. Should of amnestied Perkins when they had the chance. Or never re-signed Perkins.

mightybosstone
02-13-2015, 05:43 PM
Not sure I see it as a timing thing. Seems like the hype train of Rockets interested in Harden was there for how long. Months of trading pieces to get picks and young assets and showcasing Martin. Besides he had Thunder over a barrel since they didn't wanna pay luxury tax by re-signing Harden. Even though they probably had a championship by now if they kept Harden. Should of amnestied Perkins when they had the chance. Or never re-signed Perkins.

Just because you show interest in a particular player doesn't mean you know you're going to get him. Morey has shown interest in a lot of players who haven't reciprocated that interest by signing or requesting a trade to Houston.

Think about it this way. If you're Morey and you absolutely know you're going to get James Harden, would you amnesty Luis Scola and then let Goran Dragic walk, only to sign Jeremy Lin to a similar, slightly more reasonable contract? Hell no. You'd keep Dragic and other other competent pieces you had on the team and shoot for the postseason. Morey is too good a GM to make a boneheaded move like that if he honestly thought he was about to get a potential superstar.

JPHX
02-13-2015, 05:44 PM
Yeah I don't see a deal to be had with Houston. Don't let the notion of "getting something before he walks" pressure you into a crap deal. Especially while we're still contending for a playoff spot.

Htownballa1622
02-13-2015, 05:48 PM
Yeah I don't see a deal to be had with Houston. Don't let the notion of "getting something before he walks" pressure you into a crap deal. Especially while we're still contending for a playoff spot.

But is getting something back better than getting nothing back? I also missed where it's a crap deal. Goran is an unrestricted free agent. He could just leave yall high and dry.

Yall are in contention to make playoffs but do u really think yall will beat out okc?

L8kers4life
02-13-2015, 05:50 PM

How bout Jordan Hill, Ed Davis a first round pick (Houston's Pick) and a high second round pick?

mightybosstone
02-13-2015, 05:59 PM
How bout Jordan Hill, Ed Davis a first round pick (Houston's Pick) and a high second round pick?

Houston's potential offer of New Orleans' first, Terrence Jones and Jason Terry's expiring contract is probably better than that. And the Rockets have two early second rounders (New York and Denver) they could throw into the mix.

I think the only way LA can make a better offer than Houston would be if they were willing to offer their first rounder this season or if they were willing to trade Randle. And I can't imagine the Lakers making any offer that crazy for a guy who is going to be an unrestricted free agent in a few months.

L8kers4life
02-13-2015, 07:07 PM
Houston's potential offer of New Orleans' first, Terrence Jones and Jason Terry's expiring contract is probably better than that. And the Rockets have two early second rounders (New York and Denver) they could throw into the mix.

I think the only way LA can make a better offer than Houston would be if they were willing to offer their first rounder this season or if they were willing to trade Randle. And I can't imagine the Lakers making any offer that crazy for a guy who is going to be an unrestricted free agent in a few months.

It might be better but by how much? Hill has a team option so technically he is a expiring as well, and you get much better production and a better player right now in Hill, Plus Hill can play center as well, Jones can not. Ed Davis is also a expiring. The diffence in picks will probably only be between 3 to 5 picks different than that New Orleans pick, because their is a good chance Houston drops down a few spots due to Dwight's Injury.

Its funny, you think the lakers have to offer their early first rounder, as if New Orleans pick, Terry and Jones is much better. There is no chance the Lakers give up that pick or Randle. But the fact you think Houstons offer is better, shows your bias, Lakers could also throw in Lin's expiring and take on a bad contract. Jones has not been that good this year, and Terry is worthless at this point. Heck we could even give up Steve Nash's expiring, and they could send Steve off the way want.

Houston is not going to give up Dragic for a pick and not get the talent they need to make a push for the playoffs. Hill gives them that, Jones does not.

nycericanguy
02-13-2015, 07:11 PM
It might be better but by how much? Hill has a team option so technically he is a expiring as well, and you get much better production and a better player right now in Hill, Plus Hill can play center as well, Jones can not. Ed Davis is also a expiring. The diffence in picks will probably only be between 3 to 5 picks different than that New Orleans pick.

Its funny, you think the lakers have to offer their early first rounder, as if New Orleans pick, Terry and Jones is much better. There is no chance the Lakers give up that pick or Randle. But the fact you think Houstons offer is better, shows your bias, Lakers could also throw in Lin's expiring and take on a bad contract. Jones has not been that good this year, and Terry is worthless at this point. Heck we could even give the Steve Nash's expiring, and they could send Steve off the way want.

umm it is..lol.

Jones has great potential and the NOLA pick could be in the lottery.

Ed Davis is trash and he wouldn't even play over any of the PHO bigs., PHO can just sign him this summer if they want him. Hill could leave at the end of the year and even he's not even an upgrade over their current bigs. what exactly would PHO be getting of value? a late 1st? For Dragic? no way

I would take Terrance Jones alone over Hill, Davis and the HOU pick... when you add NOLA's first to HOU's offer its not even close.

L8kers4life
02-13-2015, 07:16 PM
umm it is..lol.

Jones has great potential and the NOLA pick could be in the lottery.

Ed Davis is trash and he wouldn't even play over any of the PHO bigs., PHO can just sign him this summer if they want him. Hill could leave at the end of the year and even he's not even an upgrade over their current bigs. what exactly would PHO be getting of value? a late 1st? For Dragic? no way

I would take Terrance Jones alone over Hill, Davis and the HOU pick... when you add NOLA's first to HOU's offer its not even close.

Says who you? Terrence Jones is a project and is struggling to get his minutes with a depleted Rockets Roster. Hill is a perfect bench guy and has experience. Terrence Jones is not all that you are over rating him. Have you looked up Ed Davis' stats this year, Phoenix needs rim protection as well, , Davis is great on the boards and protecting the rim. Like I said in my post, Houston may lose more in this second half due to injuries, so the difference between the two pick could be minimal, but at least with Davis and Hill, you can get quality help off the bench with much more experience.

nycericanguy
02-13-2015, 07:26 PM
Says who you? Terrence Jones is a project and is struggling to get his minutes with a depleted Rockets Roster. Hill is a perfect bench guy and has experience. Terrence Jones is not all that you are over rating him. Have you looked up Ed Davis' stats this year, Phoenix needs rim protection as well, Jones offers none of that, Davis is great on the board and protecting the rim. Like I said in my post, Houston may lose more in this second half due to injuries, so the difference between the two pick could be minimal, but at least with Davis and Hill, you can get quality help off the bench with much more experience.

Jones averaged 12 & 7 as a 22 year old last year and he's on a cheap rookie contract. Any team would love to have him.

Davis & Hill are trash man... be real. Hill is putting up decent numbers for the first time because the Lakers are so bad... the prior 6 years he was like a 7point 5 reb guy that bounced from team to team... Same for Davis... dude couldn't even get off the bench in MEM and almost went unsigned last summer... 8 & 7 on an awful team isn't anything to be proud of.

L8kers4life
02-13-2015, 07:41 PM
Jones averaged 12 & 7 as a 22 year old last year and he's on a cheap rookie contract. Any team would love to have him.

Davis & Hill are trash man... be real. Hill is putting up decent numbers for the first time because the Lakers are so bad... the prior 6 years he was like a 7point 5 reb guy that bounced from team to team... Same for Davis... dude couldn't even get off the bench in MEM and almost went unsigned last summer... 8 & 7 on an awful team isn't anything to be proud of.

What are you talking about, Davis was a backup big in Memphis but its hard to get minutes behind Zbo and Gasol, and he is better per minute than Jones, and he is at least healthy. Your Boy Jones has played 10 games this year and 14 his first year. You are vastly over rating him. Jordan Hill is the reason that Pau was benched a few times this year, he is solid and will be much more of a contributor than Jones down the playoff stretch. Also he is a 9 million dollar expiring if they want. You obviously don't watch the Lakers, Davis has been great, but we are tanking so he is not getting as many minutes now as early in the season, but if you have watched him at all this year, you would know, he has been pretty damn efficient and he is only 25, Jones is 23.

So your argument is that Jones is better because he averaged 12 points last year as a 22 year old. the dude has played 95 games in 3 years, and can not find minutes on this Rockets team, what makes him better than Hill, his age? Hill can play both PF and C, he is a better scorer and rebounder and has proven to be more of a contributer and has much more playoff experience than Jones. And he is expiring, so again, why is Jones better?

Ask any playoff team who they would rather have now, Jordan Hill or Terrence Jones?

rhino17
02-13-2015, 07:41 PM
No way I give up Dmo in this deal. Might as well wait until the offseason to sign Gogi if thats what it is gonna take

Pelicans 1st rounder, Terrance Jones, + fillers is all I would offer

mightybosstone
02-13-2015, 08:02 PM
It might be better but by how much? Hill has a team option so technically he is a expiring as well, and you get much better production and a better player right now in Hill, Plus Hill can play center as well, Jones can not. Ed Davis is also a expiring. The diffence in picks will probably only be between 3 to 5 picks different than that New Orleans pick, because their is a good chance Houston drops down a few spots due to Dwight's Injury.
Hill is overpaid and has reached his ceiling. Jones still has another year of his rookie contract before he's a restricted free agent, and his potential is fare greater than Hill's. And the difference in picks is likely to be huge. At worst, the Rockets will probably finish with only the 7th or 8th best record in the league. And New Orleans is probably a lock to finish with the best or second best record to not make the playoffs. That's basically the 13th or 14th pick versus the 23rd or 24th pick.

Its funny, you think the lakers have to offer their early first rounder, as if New Orleans pick, Terry and Jones is much better. There is no chance the Lakers give up that pick or Randle.
That offer is absolutely, without question a much better offer than Houston's first, Hill and Davis. And it's not remotely close. The only way it would be close would be if New Orleans somehow made the playoffs, but that's unlikely to happen at this point.

But the fact you think Houstons offer is better, shows your bias,
Okay... How is an offer of a pick that is 8-10 picks higher and a younger, better basketball player to build around NOT better than a later pick and an overpaid bench big whose contract is about to expire NOT better? There's no bias in this. It's common sense, and anyone with half a brain could see that.

Lakers could also throw in Lin's expiring and take on a bad contract.
They could. And that would make LA's offer better. But look at Phoenix's roster and current contracts. What "bad" contract do they have? The worse one is probably Marcus Morris, but if you're Phoenix, do you really want to piss off your best big by trading his twin brother? Probably not.

Jones has not been that good this year, and Terry is worthless at this point. Heck we could even give up Steve Nash's expiring, and they could send Steve off the way want.
Jones had a freak nerve injury, which is why he's missed so much time and has struggled to find playing time as of late behind a deep front court. But he started off the season hot as hell before that injury, and he put up a very efficient 12/7 last season starting for a playoff team. He's got more potential than any young player on the Lakers roster other than Randle.

Houston is not going to give up Dragic for a pick and not get the talent they need to make a push for the playoffs. Hill gives them that, Jones does not.
You mean "Phoenix" here, not "Houston." But I honestly think you're wrong. Jones is every bit as good as Hill. He's younger, cheaper and has a greater ceiling. And if Phoenix cares THAT MUCH about just making the playoffs, they wouldn't be dealing Dragic in the first place.

lakerfan85
02-13-2015, 08:47 PM
Lakers don't need to trade for Dragic..

mightybosstone
02-13-2015, 10:00 PM
I actually don't get why the Lakers would WANT to acquire Dragic. If they add Dragic, the best they could hope for would be for Kobe to come back next year better than this season and maybe make a push for a low playoff seed. But what other pieces are in free agency that they could feasibly acquire? The only other big names are Rondo, Love and Aldridge.

Aldridge is practically a lock to stay in Portland and it would make zero sense to acquire Rondo AND Dragic. So they'd have to put all of their eggs into the Dragic and Love basket. And if they miss out on either guy, they're going to end up with a mediocre basketball team at best.

Frankly, the best thing that could happen for the Lakers is to tank, get some decent players through the draft and start stockpiling assets for the long run. They should be saving up for the big fish in 2016, not blowing max contract deals on a very good, albeit not remotely max contract worthy player in Dragic.

lakerfan85
02-13-2015, 10:10 PM
I actually don't get why the Lakers would WANT to acquire Dragic. If they add Dragic, the best they could hope for would be for Kobe to come back next year better than this season and maybe make a push for a low playoff seed. But what other pieces are in free agency that they could feasibly acquire? The only other big names are Rondo, Love and Aldridge.

Aldridge is practically a lock to stay in Portland and it would make zero sense to acquire Rondo AND Dragic. So they'd have to put all of their eggs into the Dragic and Love basket. And if they miss out on either guy, they're going to end up with a mediocre basketball team at best.

Frankly, the best thing that could happen for the Lakers is to tank, get some decent players through the draft and start stockpiling assets for the long run. They should be saving up for the big fish in 2016, not blowing max contract deals on a very good, albeit not remotely max contract worthy player in Dragic.

I don't agree with you often but yeah exactly this..

cheetos185
02-13-2015, 11:34 PM
I don't like dragic on the rockets if competing with 3 pg's on the team was bad enough than playing with harden might be worse.

Htownballa1622
02-13-2015, 11:42 PM
Harden is literally our only guy that can break down someone on defense.

Dragic could take over when harden sits and he would be a great addition. Much harder to play with 2 ball dominant players rather than one.

Laker Legend42
02-14-2015, 01:12 AM
I think this would be a good pick up for Houston but do you start him or bring him off the bench? Moves like this can be really touchy for teams. Not factoring in a players attitude,makeup or disposition. In other words how they will fit in the locker room. This is where the clippers get it wrong. Doc rivers has brought in his son(still not sure how since there was a ban on any clippers/celtics deals and he mentioned him while under contract and there was no fine) and guys who he's had success with. I don't think guys are cool watching his son get all that playing time. Gett dragic doesn't seem all that analytical though. Like cb4 said you get better players you win games.

Verbal Christ
02-14-2015, 02:47 AM
Patrick Beverly has been playing like horseshit. Dragic starts off top if he gets picked up.

c.c.
02-14-2015, 03:45 AM
My Rockets had Lin and released him then he signed with the Knicks. After seeing him have a good little run with them, the Rockets got out and sign him.

My Rockets trade away Kyle Lowery but when his contract is up the Rockets presue him during the free agency.

The Rockets traded Dragic now is trying to get him back also.

Now I just read that the Rockets might be interested in bringing Lin back also this summer.

Lol the Rockets love recycling this PG's! Other honorable mentions (Steve Francis, Aaron Brooks, Moochie Norris)

rhino17
02-14-2015, 04:21 AM
I don't like dragic on the rockets if competing with 3 pg's on the team was bad enough than playing with harden might be worse.

The Rockets have ONE player that can handle the ball in the starting lineup. Josh and Papa can handle a little off the bench. Actually having 2 guys that create would make the rockets a lot better. Dragic is also capable of playing off the ball as he has with Bledsoe. PHX was just dumb and invested a ton of money in a 3rd PG and expected it to work out. 2 guys sharing ball duties is fine. 3 who all play the exact same position is not

IndyRealist
02-14-2015, 08:57 AM

Its funny, you think the lakers have to offer their early first rounder, as if New Orleans pick, Terry and Jones is much better. There is no chance the Lakers give up that pick or Randle. But the fact you think Houstons offer is better, shows your bias, Lakers could also throw in Lin's expiring and take on a bad contract. Jones has not been that good this year, and Terry is worthless at this point. Heck we could even give up Steve Nash's expiring, and they could send Steve off the way want.

Why would Phoenix want expiring contracts? Dragic is expiring and they can't pay him, so why would they take on two players that are just going to either leave or eat up more cap space with new deals?

They do not need Hill to play center. They have Alex Len, Miles Plumlee, and Brandan Wright who all play C or PF/C.

What they want, per the ESPN article, is frontcourt scoring, giving the nature of PJ Tucker and Markieff Morris coming back down to earth, I'd guess they want SF/PF...like Terrence Jones, who can finish off of cuts and shoots decently. I doubt they want a low post guy like Motiejunas (or Davis) who would crowd their spacing.

IndyRealist
02-14-2015, 09:06 AM

The more immediate point is why would they trade players with low cap holds to get a guy they can just sign in the summer, then resign their own guys on top of that.

WaDe03
02-14-2015, 12:28 PM
Reports today are that the Suns would rather trade Thomas now instead of Dragic.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-14-2015, 12:52 PM
Reports today are that the Suns would rather trade Thomas now instead of Dragic.

Yeah I read that on twitter as well.

CluTcH_c1tY
02-14-2015, 01:06 PM
I feel like Morey needs to get a 3rd team involved to facilitate the trade. Someone mentioned Utah parting with Kanter so they could be the 3rd party. Also I wonder what the plans are for Alexy Schevd? The Rockets acquired him and had high praises for him yet he doesn't get any run? Feb 19th can't come any sooner!

Mr.B
02-14-2015, 05:19 PM
I have a feeling he ends up with the Lakers for the remainder of the season and then ends up being signed and traded to the Mavs for Rondo during the off season.

mightybosstone
02-14-2015, 05:23 PM
I have a feeling he ends up with the Lakers for the remainder of the season and then ends up being signed and traded to the Mavs for Rondo during the off season.

That doesn't make any sense. Why would the Lakers trade for him only to deal him in the offseason to the Mavericks for a different point guard? If the Lakers didn't think they could secure him long-term, they won't trade for him in the first place. And if you're the Mavericks, why would you trade Rondo for Dragic? They went out of their way to trade for Rondo and then after half a season, they're going to give up on the guy and trade him for a different player at the same position? I don't see the logic in that.

I'd also have to double check, but I don't know that you can swap players with two different sign-and-trades. Someone else with better knowledge of the NBA trade rules maybe able to prove or disprove that.

Mr.B
02-14-2015, 05:31 PM
That doesn't make any sense. Why would the Lakers trade for him only to deal him in the offseason to the Mavericks for a different point guard? If the Lakers didn't think they could secure him long-term, they won't trade for him in the first place. And if you're the Mavericks, why would you trade Rondo for Dragic? They went out of their way to trade for Rondo and then after half a season, they're going to give up on the guy and trade him for a different player at the same position? I don't see the logic in that.

I'd also have to double check, but I don't know that you can swap players with two different sign-and-trades. Someone else with better knowledge of the NBA trade rules maybe able to prove or disprove that.

I'm not certain if the trade is possible either, just speculating.

As for why each team would do is easy though. The Lakers (especially Kobe) have wanted Rondo on their team for a while. There is no question they would want Rondo over Dragic if given the choice. Why would they trade for Dragic? Their team is going no where with the current roster. Trading for Dragic is a win/win for them. They can either resign him and keep a very talented young PG or he becomes an asset in a S&T to help bring in more talent. Like possibly Rondo who would be their 1st choice at PG.

Why would the Mavs do it? The offense has been pretty stagnant since Rondo has been in Dallas. Their defense has improved though. If Rondo is not able to mesh with the offense by seasons end and they have an early playoff exit trust me Donnie and Cuban will explore every option possible. I think that would include swapping Rondo for Dragic. Dragic's style of play fits the Mavs better.

Again just speculating

mightybosstone
02-14-2015, 05:48 PM
I'm not certain if the trade is possible either, just speculating.
Right, but if it can't even happen, this is all kind of a moot point.

As for why each team would do is easy though. The Lakers (especially Kobe) have wanted Rondo on their team for a while. There is no question they would want Rondo over Dragic if given the choice.
I think you're putting words in the mouth of the Lakers front office. Personally, I think Dragic is the better basketball player and have thought that for years. You don't actually know that the Lakers would prefer Rondo to Dragic. Kobe may have said he wants to play with Rondo, but Kobe also doesn't speak for the Lakers front office.

Why would they trade for Dragic? Their team is going no where with the current roster. Trading for Dragic is a win/win for them. They can either resign him and keep a very talented young PG or he becomes an asset in a S&T to help bring in more talent. Like possibly Rondo who would be their 1st choice at PG.
But if you're a bad team like the Lakers with few assets, why would you waste some of the few valuable assets you have to trade for a free agent PG if you can get that free agent PG in free agency in a few months? The only reason I can see the Lakers trading for Dragic would be if they think they can keep him on the roster long-term. But trading assets for Dragic only to turn around and swap him for Rondo makes no sense, because they could feasibly just get Rondo in free agency.

Why would the Mavs do it? The offense has been pretty stagnant since Rondo has been in Dallas. Their defense has improved though. If Rondo is not able to mesh with the offense by seasons end and they have an early playoff exit trust me Donnie and Cuban will explore every option possible. I think that would include swapping Rondo for Dragic. Dragic's style of play fits the Mavs better.
I think it makes more sense from Dallas' perspective than the Lakers' perspective. But I still think the logic is pretty flawed considering Dallas just wasted a bunch of assets in a trade for Rondo a couple of months ago. I have no doubt that Cuban will be considering all of his options in the offseason, but I think it's really unlikely that this is going to be one of them.

Again just speculating
See, but it wasn't just speculating. You said you "had a feeling" this was going to happen, meaning that you believe this to be the likely outcome. But what are the odds of this ACTUALLY happening? I'd say easily less than 5 percent. Hell, I think the Rockets have the best chance of getting Dragic of any team in the league outside of Phoenix, and I still wouldn't put their odds at better than maybe 25-30 percent right now.

There's a difference between hoping in a scenario because you're a fan and actually believing in a scenario, because it makes sense. I don't think you're separating the two in this case.

Mr.B
02-14-2015, 05:54 PM
Right, but if it can't even happen, this is all kind of a moot point.

I think you're putting words in the mouth of the Lakers front office. Personally, I think Dragic is the better basketball player and have thought that for years. You don't actually know that the Lakers would prefer Rondo to Dragic. Kobe may have said he wants to play with Rondo, but Kobe also doesn't speak for the Lakers front office.

But if you're a bad team like the Lakers with few assets, why would you waste some of the few valuable assets you have to trade for a free agent PG if you can get that free agent PG in free agency in a few months? The only reason I can see the Lakers trading for Dragic would be if they think they can keep him on the roster long-term. But trading assets for Dragic only to turn around and swap him for Rondo makes no sense, because they could feasibly just get Rondo in free agency.

I think it makes more sense from Dallas' perspective than the Lakers' perspective. But I still think the logic is pretty flawed considering Dallas just wasted a bunch of assets in a trade for Rondo a couple of months ago. I have no doubt that Cuban will be considering all of his options in the offseason, but I think it's really unlikely that this is going to be one of them.

See, but it wasn't just speculating. You said you "had a feeling" this was going to happen, meaning that you believe this to be the likely outcome. But what are the odds of this ACTUALLY happening? I'd say easily less than 5 percent. Hell, I think the Rockets have the best chance of getting Dragic of any team in the league outside of Phoenix, and I still wouldn't put their odds at better than maybe 25-30 percent right now.

There's a difference between hoping in a scenario because you're a fan and actually believing in a scenario, because it makes sense. I don't think you're separating the two in this case.

Speculation, gut feeling it's all the same to me. It's just a possibility that I think could happen.

As for why would they trade for Dragic instead of just waiting for free agency... To obtain his Bird Rights. They now have the upper hand in resigning him if they want. By waiting for free agency they would just be in line with a number of teams that would want Dragic.

And the fact that the Lakers gave Kibe a huge deal in spite of have two major injuries at the time they extended him lets me know he has more pull than you seem to believe. Trust me he will be in their ear to go and get Rondo.

dhopisthename
02-14-2015, 06:02 PM
I hope the jazz at last pursue him and see if they can sign him longterm. we need a pg pretty badly