PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Curry vs Russel Westbrook, who's better?

BallIsAll
02-12-2015, 07:55 PM
No doubt these are the best two point guards in the NBA? who would you prefer to build around and who do you think is better? Personally if its a 1 star team id choose Westbrook but if I could get some quality players id choose Curry....

In this thursday’s 1ON1 we will pit The Golden State Warrior’s Stephen Curry against the Oklahoma City Thunder’s Russel Westbrook. Both of these players are extremely explosive and both do it in completely different ways. While Curry generates most of his points from the 3-point line shooting 7.9 threes per game this season and connecting on 3.2 of those attempts, Westbrook gets most of his points from dunks, layup attempts and free throws. Curry is currently leading his Warriors squad to the best team in the NBA while scoring over 23 points a game and staying healthy. Westbrook has dealt with injuries the last couple of seasons and the Thunder are struggling to get into the playoff picture in the brutal west. Both of these players are at the top of their position if not the best two players in their position. This will be a tough one, who do you guys think is the better player?

http://www.realballinsiders.com/rbi-originals/rbi-1on1-stephen-curry-vs-russel-westbrook/

IKnowHoops
02-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Man that is super tough. I just feel like Westy's ceiling is higher because of the freakish athletic ability. I'm gonna pick Westbrook because of his super tenacious D. Offensively they are very close IMO. Wes is prone to bone head play, but when Wes has his jumper going, he is unstoppable and get get a look whenever he wants. I love both players, but Im gonna feebly go with Wes.

Redrum187
02-12-2015, 08:02 PM
"No doubt" Westbrook is top 2 PG? I think there is a lot of doubt actually. That isn't to say one can't argue he is top 2. I'd much rather have Chris Paul than Westbrook.

Having said that, Stephen Curry is not only the better player and has an astronomically higher basketball IQ, he leads one of the best, if not the best, offensive team in the league. He can score from anywhere on the floor, make the pass, and is finally playing some defense. He isn't as good of a rebounder as Westbrook, but he isn't too shabby at that either. I don't know of any argument I can think of where I'd take Westbrook over Curry.

KingstonHawke
02-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Chris Paul is better than both. So that no doubt stuff is dumb. But Westbrook is better than Curry. I've always loved Curry since college (mostly because he'd be awesome in LA's triangle), but he's never been a good defender. And he doesn't give you the rebounding or leadership that Westbrook does either.

Westbrook may be my favorite PG all time. Either him, Paul, or Iverson. Just hard to compare because they all play the game so differently.

raiderposting
02-12-2015, 08:31 PM
Chris Paul is better than both. So that no doubt stuff is dumb. But Westbrook is better than Curry. I've always loved Curry since college (mostly because he'd be awesome in LA's triangle), but he's never been a good defender. And he doesn't give you the rebounding or leadership that Westbrook does either.

Westbrook may be my favorite PG all time. Either him, Paul, or Iverson. Just hard to compare because they all play the game so differently.

Chris Paul is not better than curry this season, or last.

RLundi
02-12-2015, 08:53 PM

Not this year he isn't. I'd take both Westbrook and Curry over CP3 this season, and pretty easily too. Both are just having better years than he is. CP3's been pretty good, but he's not been as good as in past years.

As far as Westbrook and Curry, that's a really close call. Curry's been a top-2 player all year but Westbrook has been breathtaking at times, and very good otherwise. I absolutely love his defensive tenacity and how he can quite easily put up 40 on any given night to go with a triple double. Take a look at all three point guards' comparison numbers, just for fun:

WS/48
Westbrook: .221
Curry: .283
CP3: .238

Box +/-
Westbrook: 10.5
Curry: 9.6
CP3: 6.7

PER
Westbrook: 28.5
Curry: 27.4
CP3: 24.5

VORP
Westbrook: 4
Curry: 5
CP3: 4.1

I'd say based on this it's fairly close between all 3, but I'd still put Curry and Westbrook slightly ahead of Chris Paul. Now, if I'm gonna choose between Westy and Curry, against better judgement I think I'd go with Westbrook, gun to my head. Call me crazy, but I like Westbrook's volatility and unpredictability. I'm sort of a sucker for the fact that he can explode for a 45-15-10 game at any moment, and I'll just suck it up that he will also has his share of 6-22 showings and shooting a team out of a game. Whatever! I like gambling!

Curry is an excellent choice and I'd fully understand why anyone would pick him, and CP3 is still CP3, but for me, I'm going with Westbrook on this one.

Dade County
02-12-2015, 08:56 PM
It all depends what your team needs to win games.

I think if Curry was on the 76ers, he really wouldn't be the same player. I don't think he would just let it fly teh way he does, because his team would need each and every basket just to stay in the game, and you just can't be pulling up at will with such a young team around you.

But a player like West, he can do his thing on practically any team; he is relentless! Maybe the only team that would work well with, would be the Spurs (maybe).

flea
02-12-2015, 09:17 PM
It all depends what your team needs to win games.

I think if Curry was on the 76ers, he really wouldn't be the same player. I don't think he would just let it fly teh way he does, because his team would need each and every basket just to stay in the game, and you just can't be pulling up at will with such a young team around you.

But a player like West, he can do his thing on practically any team; he is relentless! Maybe the only team that would work well with, would be the Spurs (maybe).

Yeah not every team could use such a specialized skill as being, at the very least, a 5 top all-time shooter in the league's history. Much easier to fit in your 30% USG combo guard who is mediocre or bad everywhere on the court except at the rim and gambles enough on defense to mostly cancel out the good he does.

bucketss
02-12-2015, 09:19 PM
not sure but curry is funner to watch.

Minimal
02-12-2015, 09:25 PM
Westbrook, because he can do it all.

Jamiecballer
02-12-2015, 09:30 PM
Curry by a country mile IMO

CluTcH_c1tY
02-12-2015, 09:35 PM
Give me Russ but it's very close between the two. Russ needs his own team so he can show the league he's the best pg in the league.

SPURSFAN1
02-12-2015, 09:37 PM
Westbrook is a beast. You know he brings it in the playoffs. OKC is one elite coach from a dynasty.

tredigs
02-12-2015, 09:47 PM
I mean, Curry's a much more talented scorer and probably player in general, but while Westbrook's still in his physical prime he's just an effin tornado of dominance. He's probably too wild for his own good and struggles with his shot too often for my liking, but it's still hugely effective most nights. Im taking Curry, but understand Westbrook if you have other elite shooters around him.

CP3 is definitely in the argument alsIo, but since you didn't ask.

sens#11fan
02-12-2015, 09:55 PM
It depends, but i'd take Westbrook by a nail. There's more to his game then his stats, he brings so much qualitative skills to a team. His only weakness is his IQ, which he has been improving so far. If you take into account both their strengths and weaknesses, they're pretty much even. However, in a 1 on 1 Westbrook would probably beat any point guard. In addition, Westbrook is the conductor/heart of his team and he gives his team an edge. There's no doubt in my mind that westy is the reason for Kd's change in attitude, which is a good thing.

sens#11fan
02-12-2015, 10:00 PM
To add to my previous post, Westbrook plays with a fire and it seems to galvanize his whole team and it provides them with an edge. This dude plays with so much passion, you know he'll give you 110% every night. Don't get me wrong, Curry is one of my top 5 favorite players in the game right now.

Sactown
02-12-2015, 10:25 PM
Curry for me, he's more selfless when it comes to giving the ball up to a teammate , I don't like Westbrooks hero tendencies when it comes playoff time. Can't go wrong with either though

sheesh
02-12-2015, 11:22 PM
Curry is the better player. So is Paul.

The dropoff that the Thunder team have when Durant leaves the court is really disturbing for me. That's not all Westy's fault. But he really struggles to hold the fort when Durant sits.

A better PG would ideally look for his own shot less in general. He'd run a more team friendly pace instead of flying solo too much.

sixer04fan
02-12-2015, 11:34 PM
No wrong answer here. Gun to my head I'd say Westbrook. But you can flip a coin, pick either, and I can't argue with it

InRoseWeTrust
02-12-2015, 11:41 PM
I loooooooooooooove Russ, but I have to give Curry the slight edge right now. This may sound silly, but I think Curry is the best shooter of all time.

nastynice
02-12-2015, 11:44 PM
No doubt these are the best two point guards in the NBA? who would you prefer to build around and who do you think is better? Personally if its a 1 star team id choose Westbrook but if I could get some quality players id choose Curry....

I probably agree with this.

BallIsAll
02-12-2015, 11:57 PM

Thats ludicrous. Iverson was basically a shooting guard and even said himself he considers himself a shooting guard.

ThuglifeJ
02-13-2015, 01:16 AM
Currys a better attacker but Westbrooks the better shooter.

Minimal
02-13-2015, 01:18 AM
Currys a better attacker but Westbrooks the better shooter.
I think you got something wrong here

ThuglifeJ
02-13-2015, 01:19 AM
Really tho, what's wierd is thinking of where Westbrook is going to be in 5 years. There's no physically possible way he can keep up his style of play. I cannot picture a 30 year old version Westy. What will happen to all these point guards?

Shlumpledink
02-13-2015, 02:17 AM
Who do I take 1 on 1? Russell Westbrook easily and its not really close. In a team sport, or rather for my own team, I would pick Steph Curry.

Goose17
02-13-2015, 02:45 AM
Curry by a country mile IMO

This ^ I don't think it's close (and no, not because it's Steph. Because its westbrook. He's overrated, especially on here. IMO)

IversonIsKrazy
02-13-2015, 03:29 AM
I'd take Curry. Hes jus so friggin Cash. His passing ability is undeniable. On the other hand, Russ is an explosive beast, jus sometimes when he pulls up with 19 secs on the shotclock its just ********.

Dade County
02-13-2015, 05:24 AM
Yeah not every team could use such a specialized skill as being, at the very least, a 5 top all-time shooter in the league's history. Much easier to fit in your 30% USG combo guard who is mediocre or bad everywhere on the court except at the rim and gambles enough on defense to mostly cancel out the good he does.

lol

Then you pick Curry then... I'll go with West.

tredigs
02-13-2015, 06:34 AM
Curry almost always kills Westbrook heads up these days btw. Stats definitely back that up.

IKnowHoops
02-13-2015, 08:11 AM
Curry almost always kills Westbrook heads up these days btw. Stats definitely back that up.

How many game sample size?

JasonJohnHorn
02-13-2015, 08:28 AM
Curry is a better shooter; hands down.
Curry is a better passer; hands down.

They get about the same amount of steals, and I wouldn't suggest that either is an elite defender like CP3, but neither is either a liability.

Westy gets more rebounds, but that is a superlative stat for a point guard and it's not like Curry is hauling in more than most point guards out there himself (5.1 per36).

I'm not even sure how this is a conversation to be perfectly honest. I mean, unless you have the worst rebounding front court in the league, there is no reason why Westy would give you a bigger advantage than Curry.

A point guard's job is to distribute and shoot the ball well to keep defenses honest. Those are their two main jobs. Curry is clearly better at both. The third most important job is defense and neither has a real advantage over the other there.

Also, as mentioned, Westy relies on his athleticism. Curry relies on shooting. When Curry is 35, he will still be a great shooter. When Westy is 30, he will no longer be as quick as he is now.

All these things aside, I get the distinct impression from the games I've seen that Westy wants to shoot the ball before setting up another player and that is going to great issues no matter where he plays. Over 20 shtos a game from a point guard is a problem.

To me, there is not a question here. I think Westy is a great player, but Curry is clearly a better point guard and in the long term, this is an easy question to answer.

In my mind the CP3 vs Curry debate is far more interesting. You get a great shooter vs. a great defender and both can pass the ball.

PurpleLynch
02-13-2015, 08:40 AM

http://www.realballinsiders.com/rbi-originals/rbi-1on1-stephen-curry-vs-russel-westbrook/

Curry is surely a top 2 pg in the league. I'm not sure about Westbrook. His athleticism is crazy and his defense looks good. But he isn't a PG I would build around,unless I'm sure about the coach I have.
Is he in the top 10? Surely
Is he in the top 5?Imo yes,but I'd take Curry or Paul or Lillard or Conley ahead of him. They are just better playmakers and that's the pg job. If I have to build a team I'd focus in a point guard who is a playmaker,because I want most of my point coming from other players,while having an intelligent player who can control the pace of the game.

Westbrook doesn't do anything of that. He reminds me of Stephenson and his "do or die" style of game.

I'm sure about one thing though: if Brooks wasn't OKC's coach,Westbrook would look even better.
His ceiling is,undoubtedly,the highest of all the PGs I have mentioned. But he needs absolutely a good coach who teaches him how to be a good playmaker.

YAALREADYKNO
02-13-2015, 09:57 AM
curry this season but overall I'd go with westbrook. Both players on an avg team as the lone star I'd go with westbrook over curry.

valade16
02-13-2015, 12:05 PM
I say Curry but I think people are sensationalizing Westbrook's problems.

1. This season Westbrook is shooting 40.9% on shots from 16-23 ft and Curry is shooting 40.7%. Yes Curry is a way better shooter overall and at the 3PT line, but Westy, as inconsistent as his jumper is, is not shooting a terrible % (except from 3).

2. I think Curry is a better passer however Westy's AST% is 46.8% this season and Curry's is 38.2%. Westy's has actually been higher pretty much their entire career, so it's not like Westy is some slouch passer. It's a close argument.

3. I think Westy is a better defender than Curry.

4. In regards to Steph vs. Westy head to head, 3 of the last 4 games Steph has clearly been better but before that it was relatively back and forth and the last game they played Westbrook had 17 pts, 17 asts, 15 rbds and 4 stls.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=westbru01&p2=curryst01

I take Curry but it's closer than some would want to admit.

curtcocaine
02-13-2015, 01:23 PM

1. This season Westbrook is shooting 40.9% on shots from 16-23 ft and Curry is shooting 40.7%. Yes Curry is a way better shooter overall and at the 3PT line, but Westy, as inconsistent as his jumper is, is not shooting a terrible % (except from 3).

2. I think Curry is a better passer however Westy's AST% is 46.8% this season and Curry's is 38.2%. Westy's has actually been higher pretty much their entire career, so it's not like Westy is some slouch passer. It's a close argument.

4. In regards to Steph vs. Westy head to head, 3 of the last 4 games Steph has clearly been better but before that it was relatively back and forth and the last game they played Westbrook had 17 pts, 17 asts, 15 rbds and 4 stls.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=westbru01&p2=curryst01

This by a landslide.

BallIsAll
02-14-2015, 12:03 PM

This was great research

b@llhog24
02-15-2015, 03:09 PM
Chris Paul is better than both.

Nah.

So that no doubt stuff is dumb. But Westbrook is better than Curry. I've always loved Curry since college (mostly because he'd be awesome in LA's triangle), but he's never been a good defender. And he doesn't give you the rebounding or leadership that Westbrook does either.

Nope.

KnicksorBust
02-16-2015, 09:57 PM
Curry.