PDA

View Full Version : Injuries abound: Are they on the rise?

JasonJohnHorn
02-12-2015, 02:28 PM
It seems like every day another All-Star is added to the roster to replace an injured one:

Kobe = DMC
Blake = Lillard
Davis = Dirk
Wade = Krover
Possibly Melo....

And in general, it seems like the league over the last few years has seen a lot of guys get knocked out due to injury. Griffin, Nerlens, Oden and now Embiid are all high picks who missed or are missing their entire first season over the last 8 years (that is 50% of the top ROY candidates not even playing), and we've also seen guys like Kobe, Nash go down (which is to be expected given their age), but also young guys mssing crazy time, like Dwight, Rose. This happens throughout of course: Walton, King, Penny, Hill, but it seems like it is happening with greater regularity to me, and teams seem to be constantly dealing with multiple injuries. We've seen Bynum, Yao Ming, Brook Lopez and Anderson V all miss time and get their prime cut short by injury. The playoffs get hit big time every year (Blake, Lee, Westy, Ibaka). Westy and Durant miss a big part of the season. Kyrie seems to be a perennial injury list attendee. Al Horford missed all of last year.

Is this just in my head? Is it perhaps because players are coming in early and now have 3 seasons over 82 games by the time they hit 23 where as 25 years ago they would have just been coming into the league? I know coaches (Pop and Doc especially), don't play their guys as many minutes as they could, in part to ensure their long-term longevity. Is the game faster and harder, despite having fewer possessions?

I see factors that should cut down on injury (few minutes + fewer possessions), but also factors that might increase it (young starting time + international play in summer).

What are your thoughts? And is is possible that PEDs are in play somewhere in here?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Bucks entire roster last season was injured. But we ended up #2 lottery pick in Parker. So it did work out in a sick twisted way like Spurs Tim Duncan draft with David Robinson injured.

PurpleLynch
02-13-2015, 08:27 AM
It seems like every day another All-Star is added to the roster to replace an injured one:

Kobe = DMC
Blake = Lillard
Davis = Dirk
Wade = Krover
Possibly Melo....

And in general, it seems like the league over the last few years has seen a lot of guys get knocked out due to injury. Griffin, Nerlens, Oden and now Embiid are all high picks who missed or are missing their entire first season over the last 8 years (that is 50% of the top ROY candidates not even playing), and we've also seen guys like Kobe, Nash go down (which is to be expected given their age), but also young guys mssing crazy time, like Dwight, Rose. This happens throughout of course: Walton, King, Penny, Hill, but it seems like it is happening with greater regularity to me, and teams seem to be constantly dealing with multiple injuries. We've seen Bynum, Yao Ming, Brook Lopez and Anderson V all miss time and get their prime cut short by injury. The playoffs get hit big time every year (Blake, Lee, Westy, Ibaka). Westy and Durant miss a big part of the season. Kyrie seems to be a perennial injury list attendee. Al Horford missed all of last year.

Is this just in my head? Is it perhaps because players are coming in early and now have 3 seasons over 82 games by the time they hit 23 where as 25 years ago they would have just been coming into the league? I know coaches (Pop and Doc especially), don't play their guys as many minutes as they could, in part to ensure their long-term longevity. Is the game faster and harder, despite having fewer possessions?

I see factors that should cut down on injury (few minutes + fewer possessions), but also factors that might increase it (young starting time + international play in summer).

What are your thoughts? And is is possible that PEDs are in play somewhere in here?

I think they just have to give fewer minutes to rookies,it doesn't matter the age. For all the players who joined the Nba early and got injured,there are still players who just took benefits from playing at an early age in the Nba(Drummond,Kobe,Garnett,Lebron etc) without getting injured. There are players who physically can sustain the NBA even at 17 years old and there are players who are injury prone or that are not completely developed physically for the NBA.
I don't think recent injuries can link us to the using of PED.
There are also players who just overuse their athleticism(Westbrook and Wade in his prime) and get their career cut short.
Durant imo is an exception,he played almost all games of his career and just got injured recently,while he has one of the skinniest frame of the league.
Brook Lopez or Varejao are instead pure examples of injury prone players.

In conclusion,each Nba player has his story,I don't believe in the growth of injuries that supposedly plague the league.

JasonJohnHorn
02-13-2015, 08:41 AM
I think they just have to give fewer minutes to rookies,it doesn't matter the age. For all the players who joined the Nba early and got injured,there are still players who just took benefits from playing at an early age in the Nba(Drummond,Kobe,Garnett,Lebron etc) without getting injured.

For Drummond it is too early to tell to be honest. He's only been in the league three years.

Kobe, it is important to note, has missed the entirety of almost THREE seasons due to injury. Looking at the level Jordan played at the age of 40, it seems clear that Kobe is declining much quicker than his predecessor.

LeBron has been healthy, and I hope he continues to be for the duration of his career, but the long-term effects don't show up in the first ten years typically; they'll show up after 30 when the wear-and-tear comes in.

Garnett is certainly an example of a guy who hasn't had to deal with many injuries. Other than one year in Boston where he miss a 1/3 and last year, he hasn't had many issues, but he also doesn't seem to have aged as gracefully as Duncan, who came to the NBA after 4 years of college.

I think your assessment is pretty good otherwise. You are right; some guys are injury prone, and some use their athleticism too much. We see this in gys like Francis, Marbury and Arenas, who all cut out early, while Kidd, Nash and Stockton last for nearly two decades each.

Still.. it seems that there is just an excessive number of guys the last 8-10 years who have been impacted by injury. I hate to see that because some of these folks were really talented.

As for PEDs, I don't suspect that the NBA has a problem with that, but the use of PEDs is certainly related to injuries, looking at MLB. The NBA does a great job of testing though, so I don't suspect that is an issue. I think it is more about coming in early and taking in 82 games + playoffs for 3 or 4 years + international play instead of the lighter college schedule that is catching up with some of these guys.

LakersIn5
02-13-2015, 10:31 AM
2013 lakers got killed by injuries.

Nash, duhon, kobe, blake, mwp, pau, dwight, meeks just to name a few. Its just sad. Especially during the playoffs when the lakers 1st and 2nd string back court was out because of injury. We got robbed of a possible great series against the spurs. Lakers started the season 17-25 but finished 28-12 but when kobe started to dominate averaging 30/7/7 in the last 10 games and when the team finally starting gel. The baaketball gods screwed kobe and everthing after that went bad in laker land.

Lakers depth chart in the playoffs
PG darius morris-duhon
SG andrew goudeluck-duhon
SF earl clark-jamison
PF Pau-jamison
C dwight-hill

Thats a weak *** team right there

PurpleLynch
02-13-2015, 06:46 PM
For Drummond it is too early to tell to be honest. He's only been in the league three years.

Kobe, it is important to note, has missed the entirety of almost THREE seasons due to injury. Looking at the level Jordan played at the age of 40, it seems clear that Kobe is declining much quicker than his predecessor.

LeBron has been healthy, and I hope he continues to be for the duration of his career, but the long-term effects don't show up in the first ten years typically; they'll show up after 30 when the wear-and-tear comes in.

Garnett is certainly an example of a guy who hasn't had to deal with many injuries. Other than one year in Boston where he miss a 1/3 and last year, he hasn't had many issues, but he also doesn't seem to have aged as gracefully as Duncan, who came to the NBA after 4 years of college.

I think your assessment is pretty good otherwise. You are right; some guys are injury prone, and some use their athleticism too much. We see this in gys like Francis, Marbury and Arenas, who all cut out early, while Kidd, Nash and Stockton last for nearly two decades each.

Still.. it seems that there is just an excessive number of guys the last 8-10 years who have been impacted by injury. I hate to see that because some of these folks were really talented.

As for PEDs, I don't suspect that the NBA has a problem with that, but the use of PEDs is certainly related to injuries, looking at MLB. The NBA does a great job of testing though, so I don't suspect that is an issue. I think it is more about coming in early and taking in 82 games + playoffs for 3 or 4 years + international play instead of the lighter college schedule that is catching up with some of these guys.

Completely agree. I always thought that the Nba,despite not being physical as the NFL for example,is just a career that can damage a lot of athletes. In the past they also didn't play as much international games as now(even if I think that US team strolls easily each year to the finals,so not much work for them).
Kobe is falling off and as one of his biggest fan I'm sad for that. Jordan also took 4 year off bball and this helped him in his career(Kobe played 41 more playoffs games and 208 more regular season games than Jordan at this point of his career.).Anyway,Jordan aged better than Kobe,even if Kobe has still the edge in terms of longevity.
I also agree on this,the Nba is surely one of the best league in testing(even if they aren't perfect).

JasonJohnHorn
02-14-2015, 01:01 AM
Completely agree. I always thought that the Nba,despite not being physical as the NFL for example,is just a career that can damage a lot of athletes. In the past they also didn't play as much international games as now(even if I think that US team strolls easily each year to the finals,so not much work for them).
Kobe is falling off and as one of his biggest fan I'm sad for that. Jordan also took 4 year off bball and this helped him in his career(Kobe played 41 more playoffs games and 208 more regular season games than Jordan at this point of his career.).Anyway,Jordan aged better than Kobe,even if Kobe has still the edge in terms of longevity.
I also agree on this,the Nba is surely one of the best league in testing(even if they aren't perfect).

Yeah.. I hope this is just a bad string... we've seen so many bigs go down the last few years.

It's sad to see talented players like Rose and Amar'e and Oden and Bynum and Yao and T-Mac all get hit with injuries that stunted their peak play. It would have been nice to see a league with all those guys hitting their prime around the same time.

C'est la vie. Here's to hoping the next generation does get the same bug I'd hate to see KD and David go the route of T-mac and Amar'e.