PDA

View Full Version : No Davis for the All Star Game

Stunner
02-12-2015, 12:32 AM
@ESPNNBA: Anthony Davis, who has missed 2 straight games with a sprained shoulder, will NOT play in NBA All-Star game. http://t.co/ZYcP4QQk95

Who will replace ?

Redrum187
02-12-2015, 12:38 AM
It better be Dirk Nowitzki or Tyson Chandler.

Sorry Mike Conley... In fairness, Conley has declined significantly since January. He was off to a blistering start of the season though. He is still a great player, but the Mavericks need to be represented.

goingfor28
02-12-2015, 12:46 AM
DeAndre has a chance too imo

ROY 2 MVP Braun
02-12-2015, 12:47 AM
It better be Dirk Nowitzki or Tyson Chandler.

Sorry Mike Conley... In fairness, Conley has declined significantly since January. He was off to a blistering start of the season though. He is still a great player, but the Mavericks need to be represented.

I agree on the mavs needing to be represented. Think it will be Dirk. Who are some other options?

Tony_Starks
02-12-2015, 12:48 AM
Z Bo

Redrum187
02-12-2015, 12:58 AM
Z Bo

I'm just curious... Do you feel Zbo has been a better player than Conley this season in general AND for the Grizzlies?

Either way, Dirk Nowitzki and Tyson Chandler have a much bigger and better case over Zbo than they do Conley.

tredigs
02-12-2015, 12:59 AM
Deandre, Monta, Chandler or Dirk will probably get it. I'd take DPOY Draymond Green tho.

Stunner
02-12-2015, 01:03 AM
@espn_macmahon: Source: Dirk will be named to All-Star team to replace Anthony Davis. It's the 13th selection of his career.

goingfor28
02-12-2015, 01:05 AM
Dwain Price ✔ @DwainPrice
Follow
Dirk Nowitzki will replace the injured Anthony Davis on the All-Star team. This will be Dirk's 13th All-Star appearance.
12:02 AM - 12 Feb 2015

THE MTL
02-12-2015, 01:10 AM
Dirk isn't even the best player on his team this season but it's whatever

Chronz
02-12-2015, 01:15 AM

Its arguable but Monta/Tyson are hurting anyways.

PowerHouse
02-12-2015, 02:06 AM
Its pretty sad that Deandre Jordan cant get no all-star respect.

Clippersfan86
02-12-2015, 02:22 AM
DJ got robbed bad. 3rd 20/20 game in last 6. D7isrespected, dude having incredible year and been dominant last 2 without Griffin. Back to back 20/20 games. Love Dirk but much like Duncan... THIS year this was a lifetime achievement award. It was purely politics of not having an all star game with 3 selected Clippers and no Mavs or Spurs

Chronz
02-12-2015, 02:26 AM
DJ got robbed bad. 3rd 20/20 game in last 6. Disrespected, dude having incredible year and been dominant last 2 without Griffin. Back to back 20/20 games.

Its the West fellas, aint disrespect to miss out. Hell, Tyson has arguably more of a case than DJ but Dirk is just as deserving.

eso
02-12-2015, 02:30 AM
This years game needs to be renamed the 2015 injured Allstar replacement Game.

Chronz
02-12-2015, 02:41 AM
DJ got robbed bad. 3rd 20/20 game in last 6. D7isrespected, dude having incredible year and been dominant last 2 without Griffin. Back to back 20/20 games. Love Dirk but much like Duncan... THIS year this was a lifetime achievement award. It was purely politics of not having an all star game with 3 selected Clippers and no Mavs or Spurs

You dont approve of Duncan either?

Goose17
02-12-2015, 02:45 AM
Has there ever been this many players replaced in the ASG? This has to be a record.

Redrum187
02-12-2015, 02:47 AM

DeAndre is a really good C. Top 10 even... but I'd take Tyson Chandler over him any day.

Redrum187
02-12-2015, 02:48 AM
I'm so happy for Dirk Nowitzki! He's definitely top 3 favorite players of all time.

goingfor28
02-12-2015, 03:02 AM
You dont approve of Duncan either?
Duncan and KD don't deserve to be there at all imo

PowerHouse
02-12-2015, 04:24 AM
Its the West fellas, aint disrespect to miss out. Hell, Tyson has arguably more of a case than DJ but Dirk is just as deserving.

DeAndre is a really good C. Top 10 even... but I'd take Tyson Chandler over him any day.

No disrespect to the season Chandler is having but I gotta take DJ. They score at roughly the same clip, but DJ handily has the edge in rebounding and shot-blocking. To be better in both rebounding and shot-blocking is impressive cuz when a guy goes after the block, it usually means he's surrendering the rebound chance. Plus look how DJ is killing it in the absence of Griffin.

Goose17
02-12-2015, 04:36 AM
How many starters have been replaced now? 3? 4?

YAALREADYKNO
02-12-2015, 10:02 AM
glad to see Dirk make it

YAALREADYKNO
02-12-2015, 10:05 AM

Monta and Tyson are injured and davis is a big man so I think that's why Dirk got the nod over monta. If it was a guard who needed to be replaced monta easily would've made it

basketfan4life
02-12-2015, 10:22 AM
What about Lillard?

YAALREADYKNO
02-12-2015, 10:29 AM
What about Lillard?

he replaced blake

Thumper 88
02-12-2015, 10:32 AM
No disrespect to the season Chandler is having but I gotta take DJ. They score at roughly the same clip, but DJ handily has the edge in rebounding and shot-blocking. To be better in both rebounding and shot-blocking is impressive cuz when a guy goes after the block, it usually means he's surrendering the rebound chance. Plus look how DJ is killing it in the absence of Griffin.
That 40% ft tho

DR_1
02-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Duncan and KD don't deserve to be there at all imo

Does anyone from the Spurs belong? Legit question.

Redrum187
02-12-2015, 01:21 PM

Tyson Chandler isn't a liability in the 4th quarter. He is one of the most efficient big men in the game today.

DJ has more blocks, but he is not nearly as good as Tyson is on defense. Blocked shots don't equate to awesome defense. Also, DeAndre plays over 3 more minutes per game... he'd still probably get maybe 1 rebound more per game, but I'd easily take Tyson for his offensive efficiency (which would be vital in the 4th quarter), his consistency anchoring a defense, his superior defense, and not to mention, championship experience.

goingfor28
02-12-2015, 03:16 PM
Does anyone from the Spurs belong? Legit question.
No

PowerHouse
02-12-2015, 04:44 PM
Tyson Chandler isn't a liability in the 4th quarter. He is one of the most efficient big men in the game today.

DJ has more blocks, but he is not nearly as good as Tyson is on defense. Blocked shots don't equate to awesome defense. Also, DeAndre plays over 3 more minutes per game... he'd still probably get maybe 1 rebound more per game, but I'd easily take Tyson for his offensive efficiency (which would be vital in the 4th quarter), his consistency anchoring a defense, his superior defense, and not to mention, championship experience.

You gotta look at each of their per 36 min averages. When you do you see DJ is better in rebounding, shot-blocking and steals. I know its not all about just one stat (like the shot-blocking you mentioned) but when you combine all of it DJ is better in so many categories its pretty glaring. Chandler has DJ beat in just one stat and thats FTs. If FT shooting were the end-all-be-all then Ben Wallace would never have made an all star team.

Redrum187
02-12-2015, 05:35 PM
You gotta look at each of their per 36 min averages. When you do you see DJ is better in rebounding, shot-blocking and steals. I know its not all about just one stat (like the shot-blocking you mentioned) but when you combine all of it DJ is better in so many categories its pretty glaring. Chandler has DJ beat in just one stat and thats FTs. If FT shooting were the end-all-be-all then Ben Wallace would never have made an all star team.

But I don't judge or measure defense by blocks and steals. Those aren't a good measuring stick of individual defense was my point. I'd rather have the guy with fewer blocks and steals, but better at anchoring a defense. There aren't many big men, if any, I'd rather have Jordan covering as opposed to Chandler.

Per 36 minutes:
Tyson Chandler: 12.6 ppg, 13.9 rpg
DeAndre Jordan: 11.5 ppg, 14.7 rpg

I don't think < 1 rpg is glaring, nor do I think Chandler's > 1 ppg as glaring over DeAndre. When it comes to FT %, now THAT is glaring. I never made the case that "FT % is the end-all-be-all", I just stated that when it comes to the 4th quarter, Chandler is NOT a liability on that end and DeAndre Jordan absolutely is... Which I'm sure you'd agree with me.

Clippersfan86
02-12-2015, 06:38 PM
Guys Tyson Chandler vs DJ is arguable, but who do you think people want to see in the ASG? Take two near identical players and you take the younger, far more fun to watch player.

Vinny642
02-12-2015, 07:15 PM
He needed his rest

Redrum187
02-12-2015, 08:06 PM
Guys Tyson Chandler vs DJ is arguable, but who do you think people want to see in the ASG? Take two near identical players and you take the younger, far more fun to watch player.

If we are ignoring talent and focusing on "who we want to see more", I'd pick neither. Dirk Nowitzki is who I want to see. I'm not a Mavericks fan, but I absolutely love watching his one-legged fade away jumper. It's pure sex.

Clippersfan86
02-12-2015, 08:14 PM
If we are ignoring talent and focusing on "who we want to see more", I'd pick neither. Dirk Nowitzki is who I want to see. I'm not a Mavericks fan, but I absolutely love watching his one-legged fade away jumper. It's pure sex.

You missed the point. We aren't ignoring talent. Talent/production wise DJ and Chandler are identical in terms of value pretty much. Chandler gives you more solid man defense and better FT shooting, DJ is the better help defender and rebounder. I'm saying assuming talent is equal, why wouldn't you choose the younger, more exciting player for a game which is nothing more than an offensive scrimmage.

Redrum187
02-12-2015, 08:22 PM
You missed the point. We aren't ignoring talent. Talent/production wise DJ and Chandler are identical in terms of value pretty much. Chandler gives you more solid man defense and better FT shooting, DJ is the better help defender and rebounder. I'm saying assuming talent is equal, why wouldn't you choose the younger, more exciting player for a game which is nothing more than an offensive scrimmage.

I don't consider them equal though. If I was a Clippers fan and I was offered Tyson Chandler for DeAndre Jordan, 100 out of 100 times I'm saying "yes". If I'm a Mavericks fan and I was offered DeAndre Jordan for Tyson Chandler, I'd be like, "hell no...".

The majority probably agrees with you that Jordan is more fun to watch (I enjoy watching him play because of his dunks/shot blocking, but mostly because I laugh at how mentally weak he is and how he never seems to think he fouls), however... I'd still rather the more deserving player get the nod.

I can understand why you'd want to discriminate against the older player, but I'd rather the older guy go if he's better (but that is where we disagree). While it's for the fans, it's for the players as well.

goingfor28
02-12-2015, 09:14 PM
DJ deserved it. And as an added bonus would've likely been added to the dunk contest. Instead we get Dirk, who made it bc of who he is, not bc he's having some great season.

Clippersfan86
02-13-2015, 12:36 AM
I don't consider them equal though. If I was a Clippers fan and I was offered Tyson Chandler for DeAndre Jordan, 100 out of 100 times I'm saying "yes". If I'm a Mavericks fan and I was offered DeAndre Jordan for Tyson Chandler, I'd be like, "hell no...".

The majority probably agrees with you that Jordan is more fun to watch (I enjoy watching him play because of his dunks/shot blocking, but mostly because I laugh at how mentally weak he is and how he never seems to think he fouls), however... I'd still rather the more deserving player get the nod.

I can understand why you'd want to discriminate against the older player, but I'd rather the older guy go if he's better (but that is where we disagree). While it's for the fans, it's for the players as well.

Well the metrics have them as identical, or at least as close as it gets for players of their skillset and on the same tier. Look at some figures.

WS/48: DJ- .214 TC- .240
PER: DJ- 20.8 TC-.21.4
VOR: DJ- 2.8 TC- 2.8
DPM (defensive plus/minus): DJ- 3.0 TC- 2.5

As I said.. raw stats wise, depends on what you weigh as more valuable, but get out of here with that "100 out of 100" ****, because you know damn well it's not close to that.

Clippersfan86
02-13-2015, 01:05 AM
Also which fu**ing GM would take a 32 year old over a 26 year old who's got the NBA's longest streak without missing a game, assuming they have comparable games? That was a foolish statement. I'd actually wager at least 25 of 30 teams take DJ at the same salary. He's younger, still has upside, is far less injury prone.

Redrum187
02-13-2015, 01:25 AM
Well the metrics have them as identical, or at least as close as it gets for players of their skillset and on the same tier. Look at some figures.

WS/48: DJ- .214 TC- .240
PER: DJ- 20.8 TC-.21.4
VOR: DJ- 2.8 TC- 2.8
DPM (defensive plus/minus): DJ- 3.0 TC- 2.5

As I said.. raw stats wise, depends on what you weigh as more valuable, but get out of here with that "100 out of 100" ****, because you know damn well it's not close to that.

I'm not saying they are light years apart... I'm saying, for all the reasons I've posted, 100 out of 100 times I'm taking Tyson Chandler over DeAndre Jordan.

I'm not a Maverick homer or a Clipper homer, I have no skin in the game. There are at least 2 Clipper fans that I know that would completely agree with me that Tyson is definitely better than Jordan.

You acknowledge that Tyson Chandler is the better defensive anchor, you acknowledge that Jordan is a liability in the 4th quarter (the most crucial part of the game), you acknowledge that Tyson Chandler is better at anchoring a defense while Jordan is slightly better ( < 1 rebounds per 36 minutes) and you acknowledge Chandler is the slight better scorer (> 1 point per 36 minutes), why WOULDN'T you pick Tyson 100 out of 100 times over Jordan? Because he's younger?

Redrum187
02-13-2015, 01:37 AM
I'm not ultra into certain advanced stats, but since you did post them...

WS/48: .240 is noticeably better than .214, agree or disagree? (.214 is really good, .240 is great!)
PER: Really silly formula, but even still TC wins
VOR: even
BPM: 5.1 > 4.1, TC wins that

Even with the flawed advanced stats, TC is noticeably better. But sorry... I'll get out of here with my s**t... I guess I shouldn't pick the better player 100 out of 100 times and I should pick the "younger and inefficient" player. :(

Redrum187
02-13-2015, 01:40 AM
Also which fu**ing GM would take a 32 year old over a 26 year old who's got the NBA's longest streak without missing a game, assuming they have comparable games? That was a foolish statement. I'd actually wager at least 25 of 30 teams take DJ at the same salary. He's younger, still has upside, is far less injury prone.

I'd actually wager all 30 teams would take TC at the same salary and being 6 years older.

We can both just make fantastic statements like that... Not to mention, it's not even about which GM would rather have TC or DJ moving forward into the future... Where the hell did that come from?

PowerHouse
02-13-2015, 02:06 AM
It would be interesting to get CP3's take on who is better since he spent years playing with both.

goingfor28
02-13-2015, 02:11 AM

winner

Redrum187
02-13-2015, 02:32 AM
winner

He's a winner for saying that 25 out of 30 GMs would take DeAndre Jordan over TC at this point in their careers MOVING forward?? I think we all might be winners as NO ONE has said otherwise. :cheers:

YAALREADYKNO
02-13-2015, 09:46 AM
Zach Randolph deserved It more than deandre Jordan

LakersIn5
02-13-2015, 10:39 AM

Lol maybe in his prime but right now deandre is no doubt better

Thumper 88
02-13-2015, 11:08 AM

Tyson is having one of his best years ever. Looks like he's still in his prime?

Dirk is having one his worst seasons but still putting up these (see below) numbers. Pretty impressive for bad session in his terms.

MPG 29.2
FG% .467
PPG 18.3
RPG 6.0
FT% 88.9

Redrum187
02-13-2015, 01:52 PM

I hope this doesn't turn into which guy we'd rather have moving forward... We are talking about this season only and for the ASG. The eye test and advanced stats dictate TC has been noticeably better. The fact he's older and doesn't act like a a teen going through puberty shouldn't be a knock against him in getting the nod of Jordan. I would even agree watching a 26 year old man-child is more entertaining to watch than a polished and efficient big man (TC), but I'd still rather the more deserving player go.

I'm open-minded and willing to change my opinion if someone offers any sort of data or justification for why/how Jordan has been better.

Redrum187
02-13-2015, 01:53 PM
Tyson is having one of his best years ever. Looks like he's still in his prime?

Dirk is having one his worst seasons but still putting up these (see below) numbers. Pretty impressive for bad session in his terms.

MPG 29.2
FG% .467
PPG 18.3
RPG 6.0
FT% 88.9

Agreed. I'd argue TC is having just as good if not BETTER season this year than he did the 2010-2011 season they won the championship as well.