PDA

View Full Version : Magic Johnson comments about Jim Buss on First Take

Sssmush
02-11-2015, 10:55 PM
I just want to say that I was amazed listening to that interview, and also that I thought Max Kellerman got his interpretation EXACTLY right about what he heard.

Just a quick anecdote: in the 90's, I was dating a girl who's brother worked for Jerry Buss and was in the Forum Club "in crowd" or whatever. I was dragged along once or twice and found things fun but a bit socially intense for my taste. Everybody was cool though, a sophisticated vibe, and I met Jerry Buss briefly one time and he was a super cool guy who I liked immediately.

Anyhow... her brother, as I understand it, eventually got into this thing, where this girl he was dating slept with or dated or whatever one of Jerry's sons. Which led to an argument etc, which led to her brother being on the outside of the in-crowd. From a discussion at Thanksgiving dinner or something, I remember how embittered this guy was, how dismayed at how things had gone down, because he felt like he was Jerry's guy, and then this tug or war occurred and guess what Jerry likes his own son better.

But it's weird because what Magic Johnson was saying on First Take almost sounded like some of the exact words that guy was saying when he felt all pissed off or disgruntled or whatever.

My take on this is that this freakin' nonsense has gone on long enough. Ok, hiring D'Antoni now seems like a colossal mistake, bookended with the veto of the CP3 trade and Dwight Howard walking away from the Lakers. But leaving all that aside, and actually dating all the way back to the Lakers two most recent championships (partially helmed by Jim Buss) we've just been getting a non-stop stream of negativity from Magic Johnson that has been extremely corrosive to the Lakers organization and really I think it is very unbecoming.

I'm not going to point out anything negative about Magic or the way the Laker dynasty collapsed in the 90s. I think Magic is a legit top 5 all time player, the best point guard ever, and a singular and incredible basketball talent that stands right up against Michael Jordan in his own way.

But this relentless barrage of pissiness out of this guy, who is loved by LA and also considered the ultimate Laker insider, which has extended from raking Phil Jackson Laker teams over the coals for "intensity" and defense and picking against them in Finals multiple times on national TV, to bashing and trashing Kobe over and over, for years, to undermining D'Antoni and utterly villifying Jim Buss almost to the point of slander, relentlessly underming Mitch Kupchak and ferociously campaigning in the media to help Phil Jackson grab a power position on the team, and even overtly extending this efforts to trying to create a rift between Jim Buss and Jeannie Buss--saying on is good, super good, and the other is an undeserving idiot who was never anointed and doesn't deserve his position etc etc.

I mean I hate to say it... but Los Angeles, you want to see why the Lakers have "declined" a bit in the past few years, both in prestige and popularity, and why the front office and everybody can't seem to craft a strategy that connects with all the fans and unifies the Laker team spirit? Just listen to yesterday's First Take and you can hear with your own ears where 90 percent of all this passive aggressive negativity has been coming from since 2009.

Which is all fine, of course. The only reason I point this out is because I think Max's take was right on and I was very happy that somebody got it, and also for the benefit of LA fans who are hopefully waking up to the idea that Magic is not really on the Lakers side if you get right down to it, not really, not as currently owned and managed.

Even if Jim Buss is hoisting the Finals trophy next year I would expect to hear some pissiness from the mouths of the detractors. Honestly LA doesn't need this, and it would be great if everybody could just find a way to be nicer to each other.

Tony_Starks
02-11-2015, 11:23 PM
Being a hardcore Laker fan since the Magic days I 100% agree with everything he said. You're trying to question his motives for saying that but truth be told if he really wanted to put Jimmy on blast there's a lot more he could've said but he bit his tongue. People in the know with the Lakers know the real deal about Jimmy. To put it mildly he has no business running the team.

I really don't understand your gripe with Magic. You mentioned undermining DAntoini? That was a joke of a hire, especially with how they did Phil. Everybody knew that. constant Kobe bashing? He's said numerous times that Kobe is the greatest Laker ever, better than him or Kareem.

The thing you have to understand about Magic is he's a Laker lifer regardless. When he gives criticism its from the standpoint of a diehard who hates to see a inept owner turn the franchise into a shambles. And all his criticism is on the money, every Laker fan I know has been saying the same thing for years. That's not slander its the honest truth...

FlashBolt
02-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Being a hardcore Laker fan since the Magic days I 100% agree with everything he said. You're trying to question his motives for saying that but truth be told if he really wanted to put Jimmy on blast there's a lot more he could've said but he bit his tongue. People in the know with the Lakers know the real deal about Jimmy. To put it mildly he has no business running the team.

I really don't understand your gripe with Magic. You mentioned undermining DAntoini? That was a joke of a hire, especially with how they did Phil. Everybody knew that. constant Kobe bashing? He's said numerous times that Kobe is the greatest Laker ever, better than him or Kareem.

The thing you have to understand about Magic is he's a Laker lifer regardless. When he gives criticism its from the standpoint of a diehard who hates to see a inept owner turn the franchise into a shambles. And all his criticism is on the money, every Laker fan I know has been saying the same thing for years. That's not slander its the honest truth...

For once, you actually make sense.

Tony_Starks
02-11-2015, 11:34 PM

For once, you actually make sense.

Thank you, I strive for your PSD approval.....

PHIN33
02-11-2015, 11:53 PM
Magic is speaking the truth...but in my opinion I do think he feels slighted by the Lakers franchise...and rightfully so

soundjunkies2
02-11-2015, 11:59 PM
Magic is speaking the truth...but in my opinion I do think he feels slighted by the Lakers franchise...and rightfully so

How so? What have they done to slight him?

PHIN33
02-12-2015, 12:07 AM
I think he wanted to be part of the Lakers "brain trust"...but when Jimmy took control he he cleaned house... got rid of PJ...which I believe would have been Magic's way in...just my opinion...Jimmy seems to want be the sole head figure of the Lakers...and with Magic and Phil still in the picture...Buss would never get credit for any success the Lakers may have gotten

Tony_Starks
02-12-2015, 12:20 AM

How? Was the first Laker to get a statue in front of the building, one of the fist former players in the NBA to own shares in a team... and its not like he was forced out, he sold so he could buy the Dodgers. Dr Buss treated Magic like a son, if anybody is salty its probably Jimmy because of how tight they were...

PHIN33
02-12-2015, 12:28 AM
How? Was the first Laker to get a statue in front of the building, one of the fist former players in the NBA to own shares in a team... and its not like he was forced out, he sold so he could buy the Dodgers. Dr Buss treated Magic like a son, if anybody is salty its probably Jimmy because of how tight they were...

...I thought I explained my take in post #7...WHICH YOU APPEARENLTY DIDN'T READ!!! ...it has nothing to do with his statue or him having shares...what the hell are you taking about

desertlakeshow
02-12-2015, 12:33 AM
Magic>Jim at this point for me.

I have seen every game that Magic played in, I have yet to sit in a hot tub with Jim and some hot chicks.

Tony_Starks
02-12-2015, 12:45 AM

...I thought I explained my take in post #7...WHICH YOU APPEARENLTY DIDN'T READ!!! ...it has nothing to do with his statue or him having shares...what the hell are you taking about

Chillax I posted before I read your post. Take a deep breath.

Chronz
02-12-2015, 12:55 AM
Was this on the radio or TV?

PHIN33
02-12-2015, 01:10 AM
Chillax I posted before I read your post. Take a deep breath.

..oh so you're just incompetent....I got it...carry on

tredigs
02-12-2015, 01:16 AM
@Chronz - it was on First Take. I just watched it on youtube. My general feeling is, "who cares. Lakers forum".

Chronz
02-12-2015, 01:35 AM
@Chronz - it was on First Take. I just watched it on youtube. My general feeling is, "who cares. Lakers forum".

Sorry, I meant Max Kellermans take on it. Or was he the one interviewing him?

Laker Legend42
02-12-2015, 02:32 AM
Magic Johnson needs to shut up. I'm not saying what he said was wrong however,he's wrong in the way he's going about this. The one thing that dr. Jerry buss always said was the the lakers organization is a "family" run business. In other words if your last name isn't Buss you won't be running this. If Dr. Buss held Magic in higher regard than his own son and he brought he and Jeannie up together why isn't Magic in that position? Same for Phil Jackson. I think jim was put in place to keep phil out. When Jim Buss came on he moved into Phil's office and if he it was up to Jeannie phil would be running the lakers. Magic sold his lakers shares so he should just be quiet.

tredigs
02-12-2015, 02:54 AM
Sorry, I meant Max Kellermans take on it. Or was he the one interviewing him?

That was probably on Max and Marcellus. Radio. ESPN saves the podcasts.

Sssmush
02-12-2015, 03:42 AM

See, I mean actually your response is part of the entire syndrome, if you ask me. Magic seems to have sown such divisiveness amongst the Lakers, and amongst Laker fans... it's just toxic.

I mean the first thing you say is "Magic could've said so many more much worse things about Jim"... I mean that is the assumption that's been cultivated. That Jim Buss is SO incompetent, such a meddling intrusive blundering fool, of such low character, nourished on the sour milk of unfair nepotism and ruining the Lakers with his every word or action, that no matter what Magic said it wasn't even a fraction of what he COULD'VE said about Jim Buss.

Let's call it what it is, this is just horse****, ok? I call BS. And then he's painting this picture of himself, that he and Jeannie are the true brother and sister, the true siblings, raised from the cradle by Dr. Buss, and now we're supposed to believe that Magic is like Hamlet, and Jim Buss has snuck in and stole the show from him. It's so ludicrous.

And honestly, in some of Magic's interviews and on-air analysis, and if you ask me he is really indiscriminate with what he says and how much he says sometimes, he has also kind of questioned Dr. Buss's judgment in these matters... which is NOT a sign of true loyalty. And the whole thing is just so corrosive. You know, the franchise is in turmoil, Dr. Buss is gone, Phil is trying to push his way in but Dr Buss evidently said he didn't want Phil to end up owning or controlling the team. Kobe is on the decline and there's lots of uncertainty... and so throughout this really tough dark ages of the Lakers THAT'S when Magic has to just trash the Lakers and Laker management every chance he gets. I mean if the Lakers were a political party and Magic acted this way... then it's just obvious Magic belongs to the other party.

You can't just pull totally against the leadership of an organization for years and years and trash them in the media in the most underhanded ways and then always justify yourself by saying you're the most truest and deepest devotee of that organization. It's totally F'd and it undermines the entire Lakers organization. Much better that it was Danny Ainge or somebody picking against the Lakers in the Finals two consecutive years, or trashing Kobe on ABC in the playoffs saying he's selfish or questioning his will to win. Seriously, the two most recent Laker titles, when Magic got up to dance around on the victory bus I was seriously just in awe of the nerve of this freakin' guy. Then he jumps up on the party bus like "wheeeeee, we did it!!" This after he's picking apart Phil and Kobe the whole way there, the freakin' twelfth man for the opposition every series. And on and on.

I mean he's certainly a great Laker, and he certainly has every right to his opinion and hey he gets ratings and it is an interesting drama. But seriously... as the Lakers gear up for the next millenia of Laker greatness, we just need to look beyond Magic Johnson at this point. I mean who knows maybe he fronts a group of Chinese investors and ends up as an owner and hey maybe that might not be terrible. But I mean as far as trashing Jim Buss I've just heard enough--especially since the CP3 and Howard moves were solid, the drafts and tanking are solid, the coaching hire is solid, and he seems to work well with Mitch.

What Magic said on First Take just puts things in a different light. It reveals (shockingly), and I mean I heard Skip Bayless kind of gasp in surprise at one point, that ALL of this criticism and politicking always had a PERSONAL angle to it.

So that's all that I would say, is that Laker fans should be able to feel good and come out and support the Lakers and feel that they have a fine owner. Sure, maybe kind of an everyman or a big kid, with a bit of Mark Cuban in him wanting to be part of the fun, but all in all not a bad owner and everybody says is an ok dude. So what's the freakin' trip yo? It's just weird at this point.

Sssmush
02-12-2015, 03:43 AM
Magic Johnson needs to shut up. I'm not saying what he said was wrong however,he's wrong in the way he's going about this. The one thing that dr. Jerry buss always said was the the lakers organization is a "family" run business. In other words if your last name isn't Buss you won't be running this. If Dr. Buss held Magic in higher regard than his own son and he brought he and Jeannie up together why isn't Magic in that position? Same for Phil Jackson. I think jim was put in place to keep phil out. When Jim Buss came on he moved into Phil's office and if he it was up to Jeannie phil would be running the lakers. Magic sold his lakers shares so he should just be quiet.

^ Yes that is very well said.