02-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Who ya got? My choice is Chris Bosh

tredigs
02-11-2015, 08:58 PM
Kobe Bryant

/Thread

tredigs
02-11-2015, 08:59 PM
Though Melo's at >20 mil and they're the worst team in the NBA.

rufo4100
02-11-2015, 09:00 PM
Amare

Lakers + Giants
02-11-2015, 09:01 PM
I don't see how it's not kobes. I mean he's literally untradable. Youre not gonna be able to trade that much money away if you expect to get someone talented in return. Luckily for us, it's all over next year.

KnicksorBust
02-11-2015, 09:03 PM
Tempted to say some of the Nets players... Sanders was almost my choice...

But it has to be Kobe. He is almost Joe Johnson + Larry Sanders and he is absolutely terrible now. He is a negative player at this point. $30 million to make your team worse and he has another full year of cap killing.

KnicksorBust
02-11-2015, 09:07 PM
Though Melo's at >20 mil and they're the worst team in the NBA.

I considered him too only bc he just signed his deal so its a full max. Next year when he is healthy and playing with an NBA caliber roster I think he will at least begin to earn most of that deal.

JEDean89
02-11-2015, 09:18 PM
how is this not Bargnani? The dude was out indefinitely with a "calf strain"

Seizabmc
02-11-2015, 09:31 PM
Amare
Kobe
D will
Brook
D rose
J Lin
Nash
Bargs

dalton749
02-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Saying bosh is incredibly stupid.
Kobe still makes the lakers money so not him.
Amare, bargnani, McGee, fields, josh smith

R. Johnson#3
02-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Gilbert Arenas. Yes, he's still getting paid. A lot.

/thread

KnicksorBust
02-11-2015, 09:45 PM

Expiring. With only half a season left on his deal its basically an afterthought at this point. If anything STAT making almost twice as more would be worse but again he is off the books. Its the longer term deals like Javale McGee or Larry Sanders that are the worst.

Miltstar
02-11-2015, 09:48 PM

You're calling others stupid and then you throw in Landry Fields expiring and Josh Smith's 1y/2m??

jaydubb
02-11-2015, 09:51 PM
Kobe and Nash

Those are 2 contracts that the dumbazz Lakers should never have given out at the price that was given.. I think both should be considered for worst contract in the NBA. And Yep, I'm a laker fan..

Miltstar
02-11-2015, 09:51 PM

/thread

Damn it would be nice to make 22 million and have nothing to do but spend it!

BoSox47
02-11-2015, 10:26 PM
Kobe
Deron Williams
Amare
Gerald Wallace

IndyRealist
02-11-2015, 11:46 PM
Damn it would be nice to make 22 million and have nothing to do but spend it!

Just hit up your employer for a guaranteed contract, then bring a gun to work. Apparently this works.

Ty Fast
02-12-2015, 12:50 AM
D-Will

Chrisclover
02-12-2015, 12:54 AM
Kobe bean Bryant

Chrisclover
02-12-2015, 01:01 AM
It's just confusing to see McGee, the favorite of shaqfool, struggle this mightily. I thought he would have some good days ahead.

Chrisclover
02-12-2015, 01:02 AM

/thread
People almost forgot him. Agent 0. Rumors occasionally spring up that he is trying to come back but how many people actually care?

Chrisclover
02-12-2015, 01:05 AM
You're calling others stupid and then you throw in Landry Fields expiring and Josh Smith's 1y/2m??
He is referring to Smith 's contract with the unfortunate pistons. The one with the rockets is a steal for Houston.

tp13baby
02-12-2015, 01:16 AM
It's just confusing to see McGee, the favorite of shaqfool, struggle this mightily. I thought he would have some good days ahead.

Unlucky. Karl hated him and never gave him a chance. Under Shaw he hasn't been even close to healthy.

Definitely a bad contract none the less.

sixer04fan
02-12-2015, 01:47 AM
Expiring contracts should be eliminated from consideration

Miltstar
02-12-2015, 02:11 AM
Just hit up your employer for a guaranteed contract, then bring a gun to work. Apparently this works.

Thanks for the tip man, I'll give it a try ;)

gaughan333
02-12-2015, 03:44 AM

Or you'll go to prison. Either way, you wont have to go to work, win-win?

Goose17
02-12-2015, 04:28 AM
Kobe Bryant

/Thread

If we're talking purely from a basketball perspective then Kobe is the right answer.

But from a business stand point Kobes contract makes a lot of sense. The money that the Lakers franchise generates on his name alone (even now) far exceeds what Kobe is being paid by L.A so I think he is deserving of that money, strictly from a business stand point. From a basketball stand point it's just awful.

My vote goes to Joe Johnson. He doesn't generate that much money for a franchise so it's weak from a business stand point and it is equally poor from a basketball perspective.

Also technically we were asked for the worst not the most overpaid. The worst could be Steph, underpaid. It's a good contract for the team but not for him haha

Goose17
02-12-2015, 04:32 AM
Does Gilbert Arenas still count? Orlando are still paying him right?

KingstonHawke
02-12-2015, 05:07 AM
Anyone saying Kobe is ignorant. In ticket and jerseys sales alone Kobe is worth 10 times what he's paid. You add in that he's the most popular player in ALL of china... that boy poops gold.

Only mistake the Lakers made is now that they got their TV deal, this would've been the perfect time to trade Kobe (and his business impact) to the Knicks for a few young players and Stat. Him and Melo sharing the load would've kept them both healthy. And that division is so garbage they'd of made the playoffs. They get bounced at best in the second round, but the Knicks in the playoffs with Kobe and Melo going against anyone... money would just rain in.

On the Lakers side you're saving money from giving up Kobe for Stat. The Knicks would include a few young players (Early, Larkin, Hardaway). And most importantly the Lakers would suck enough to keep their pick and go after Okafor or Mundiay. Heck, they could've easily ended up with Mundiay, Hardaway, Young, Randle, and Monroe as their starting line up next year.

tredigs
02-12-2015, 05:49 AM
Who's buying tickets to watch a guy who isn't playing? That makes no sense. Season tickets? Sure. But in LA those are prized possessions that are going to be kept by most regardless (or easily re-sold). And jersey sales don't go to the team, they're sent into a pool and redistributed evenly for all teams.

When he plays - even if it's at a detrimental level - then he still retains massive value. But on the bench, or many times not even in the arena? Yeah, I doubt he's still pumping money for them.

kingsdelez24
02-12-2015, 06:16 AM
Come on guys, as much as it would he ironically hilarious if Agent Zero was still gettig paid, his amnestied contract expired last year

Goose17
02-12-2015, 06:16 AM
Who's buying tickets to watch a guy who isn't playing? That makes no sense. Season tickets? Sure. But in LA those are prized possessions that are going to be kept by most regardless (or easily re-sold). And jersey sales don't go to the team, they're sent into a pool and redistributed evenly for all teams.

When he plays - even if it's at a detrimental level - then he still retains massive value. But on the bench, or many times not even in the arena? Yeah, I doubt he's still pumping money for them.

He absolutely is pumping money for them. Forget jerseys the amount of Laker merch that is sold overseas year in and year out is ridiculous.

Even if he you think he isn't making them money now, the money he had made them in the past far exceeds any money they've paid him. It's not even comparable.

The club, estimated by Forbes to be worth $268 million back in 1998, Bryantís second season, checked in with a valuation of $1.35 billion in 2013. Thatís a 404% increase during the Kobe era, during which the average NBA team grew 280%. Some quick math shows that had L.A.ís growth been in line with the league average over the past 15 years, the club would be worth some $750 million today, or $600 million less than where it is. And thatís in addition to the operating profits the Lakers have pocketed, usually in the tens of millions each year.

Goose17
02-12-2015, 06:18 AM
Come on guys, as much as it would he ironically hilarious if Agent Zero was still gettig paid, his amnestied contract expired last year

I thought it was this year it expired. My bad. I knew he was still being paid last year.

Goose17
02-12-2015, 07:27 AM

I just checked and they are still paying him. It just isn't counting towards their cap.

Noooo, no, thatís been a fib for awhile,Ē Arenas replied. ďNo, when they did the amnesty [clause], when the amnesty came in, I think it was two years ago, what they did was, instead of me getting paid $20 [million] a year, they extended the years and dropped the money down. So instead of getting 20 I was getting 12 for a longer period of time. So Iím still getting paid until 2016.Ē

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-12-2015, 07:38 AM
Tempted to say some of the Nets players... Sanders was almost my choice...

But it has to be Kobe. He is almost Joe Johnson + Larry Sanders and he is absolutely terrible now. He is a negative player at this point. $30 million to make your team worse and he has another full year of cap killing. Actually our capspace is just fine. Heck we have $7.3M in space to eat a player yet. We know how to spend our money wisely. Also Sanders suspension ended. So he will be back with the team after his bar brawl court date.

Ariza's Better
02-12-2015, 07:40 AM
The answer to this question will always be Joe Johnson until his contract expires next season.

PhillyFaninLA
02-12-2015, 09:02 AM
I'm going with Dolan...as an owner he has a contract with the league and if I'm a Knicks fan I'm not to happy with him

PurpleLynch
02-12-2015, 09:07 AM
If we're talking purely from a basketball perspective then Kobe is the right answer.

But from a business stand point Kobes contract makes a lot of sense. The money that the Lakers franchise generates on his name alone (even now) far exceeds what Kobe is being paid by L.A so I think he is deserving of that money, strictly from a business stand point. From a basketball stand point it's just awful.

My vote goes to Joe Johnson. He doesn't generate that much money for a franchise so it's weak from a business stand point and it is equally poor from a basketball perspective.

Also technically we were asked for the worst not the most overpaid. The worst could be Steph, underpaid. It's a good contract for the team but not for him haha

This.

FraziersKnicks
02-12-2015, 10:50 AM
Kobe Bryant easily

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-12-2015, 11:12 AM
If Kobe wanted to win he should of took a discount like Dirk did. Duncan took a discount as well way back when.

NYKnickFanatic
02-12-2015, 01:03 PM
I don't understand how Amare and Bargs could have the worst contracts.

THEY ARE EXPIRING THIS YEAR.

Maybe if this was a few years ago, I would agree.

Sly Guy
02-12-2015, 01:07 PM

in the non-nba world it'd probably be bring a gun to work, THEN ask for the guaranteed contract.

WaDe03
02-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Bosh isn't most overpaid but he's definitely up there. Whiteside is outplaying him by a wide margin.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-12-2015, 03:34 PM
If Heat wanna quick turn around. Best bet would be to trading Bosh. He's over paid though. He should of took a Dirk/Duncan discount. Heck Wade should of before the BIG 3 paired up. Wade was already falling apart. If Wade took $10M instead of near $20M that could of been another good piece. Heck they might of had 4 rings with BIG 3. Heck LeBron probably would of stayed. Sometimes you have to take one for the team. Duncan took a paycut and weaseled in another ring this late in his career. Dirk took notes and did the same. You snooze you lose. Miami is well...... losing.

goingfor28
02-12-2015, 03:59 PM
Kobe Bryant

/Thread
Bingo

beasted86
02-12-2015, 11:54 PM
Eric Gordon.

Future? Chris Bosh in 2018.

beasted86
02-13-2015, 12:04 AM
If Heat wanna quick turn around. Best bet would be to trading Bosh. He's over paid though. He should of took a Dirk/Duncan discount. Heck Wade should of before the BIG 3 paired up. Wade was already falling apart. If Wade took $10M instead of near $20M that could of been another good piece. Heck they might of had 4 rings with BIG 3. Heck LeBron probably would of stayed. Sometimes you have to take one for the team. Duncan took a paycut and weaseled in another ring this late in his career. Dirk took notes and did the same. You snooze you lose. Miami is well...... losing.

Wade was falling apart when the HEAT re-signed him in 2010? He played his two best seasons and the most regular season games of his career, and led the NBA in usage back to back seasons before they gave him the contract.

Please don't make up revisionist history or speak about things you don't know. And he in fact signed for the same contract Duncan signed for by giving up $20M from his true max, so you've officially doubled down on making yourself look really bad by speaking nonsense.

Its best you go away now.

nastynice
02-13-2015, 01:00 AM

those ***** hurt bro. U probably aint never even had a calf strain in your life, what do you know. rookie

JasonJohnHorn
02-13-2015, 10:08 AM
Amare
Kobe
D will
Brook
D rose
J Lin
Nash
Bargs

Melo's is worse than all those. Lin, Nash, Barg and Amare have less than half a season on their contracts. D-Will, Lopez and Rose have 2 or 3 years left. Melo has four years after this season and the dude will be 31 before he plays his next NBA game. Given that he hasn't been able to win in 11 seasons, and he is now past his prime, that deal is far worse because it hampers the team for longer and he's making OVER 22 million a year, topping out at almost 28 MILLION in the final year.

TWENTY-EIGHT MILLION!!!

D-Will is only maxed out at 22 and there is only two years left on the contract. Lopez only has one more year after this season at 16.... I'd take that over Melo's contract.

Kobe at least sells a lot of jerseys and he onyl maxes out at 25 million and is done next season.

Rose has two more years, but both are under 22 million.

Look at it this way, in the final year of his contract, Melo will make more than Jordan made from his rookie season up until the end of the 96' season, during which time Jordan not only won 4 championships, but also made the Bulls the most profitable team in NBA history.

That season he will make more than Bird made in his entire career. Bird. Multiple time MVP and champion.

deaner
02-13-2015, 05:11 PM
It's crazy how many of these players listed have NY connections.

nickdymez
02-13-2015, 08:38 PM
Kobe Bryant

/Thread
You know how much money Kobe makes for the Lakers?

nickdymez
02-13-2015, 08:38 PM
These clowns here don't understand that.

KnicksorBust
02-13-2015, 08:42 PM
That season he will make more than Bird made in his entire career. Bird. Multiple time MVP and champion.[/QUOTE]

Its called inflation. Lmao. Steve Novak made more money than Wilt Chamberlain too.

Seizabmc
02-13-2015, 09:21 PM
Yeah exactly ^^

Not to mention that he said what had melo won?

Well what had cp3 ever won?
And people consider him best pg.
Plus he had talent with him in la and still can't win.

TheIlladelph16
02-13-2015, 09:31 PM
From a purely on-the-court, basketball standpoint, it's got to be Kobe. He was pretty bad when he was on the court this season. The Laker's aren't competing for anything the next two seasons anyway, so in the grand scheme of things it isn't that bad though.

JasonJohnHorn
02-14-2015, 01:09 AM
Its called inflation. Lmao. Steve Novak made more money than Wilt Chamberlain too.

If inflation has gone up 100% since then, or even 200% (which it hasn't), then why is Melo making 1200% more?

My point is that guys get a crazy about of cast before they've had any team accomplishments any more.

Look... you got a Melo pick on your sig... obviously you got a bias. The guy's a great player, but 28 million great?

If we disagree on that fine, but just remember who has the worst record in the league. You pay a guy 20+ million, I expect more than 10 wins by the All-Star break.

beasted86
02-14-2015, 08:47 AM
If inflation has gone up 100% since then, or even 200% (which it hasn't), then why is Melo making 1200% more?

My point is that guys get a crazy about of cast before they've had any team accomplishments any more.

Look... you got a Melo pick on your sig... obviously you got a bias. The guy's a great player, but 28 million great?

If we disagree on that fine, but just remember who has the worst record in the league. You pay a guy 20+ million, I expect more than 10 wins by the All-Star break.

To at least be a bit fair you have to consider he's playing injured and will need surgery at some point.

We saw what type of monster Wade was in 2006, and has been on both ends of the floor a great player. But guess what, in 2007-08, still on his rookie max playing injured he was part of a 17 win team. Yet we then saw just a few months later once he fully recovered just how much of a force he was for team USA in the 08 Olympics. So it can happen to any player if they are playing injured with a crappy, similarly injured team.

IndyRealist
02-14-2015, 09:15 AM

You cannot compare contracts pre-90s to now. They were on a vastly different payscale and the league made a lot less money, even adjusting for inflation. In the 80s the primary driver of revenue was arena tickets and concessions, now it's broadcast rights on a global scale.

IBleedPurple
02-14-2015, 09:57 AM
It may not be the worst, but JaVale McGenius has to be up there. Rarely is on the court, and he seemed to lose his effort after his first injury in Denver.

JasonJohnHorn
02-14-2015, 11:16 AM
You cannot compare contracts pre-90s to now. They were on a vastly different payscale and the league made a lot less money, even adjusting for inflation. In the 80s the primary driver of revenue was arena tickets and concessions, now it's broadcast rights on a global scale.

The point is not simply to compare the scale, but compare what the top paid guys in the 80's did compared to the top paid guys today.

Melo is top paid player outside of Kobe, and nobody is scheduled to make more right now than he is the last two years of his contract. He makes more than LeBron. He make more than Wade. And for what? What team accomplishments has he had? Sure... he's got a scoring title, and he's got All-Star and All-NBA team appearances.... but what does that amount to.

Back in the day, you got paid when you helped your team win. Obviously guy make more now, but to consider the fact that Melo gets paid more in one season than a multiple MVP and champion made in his entire career highlight hos ludicrous Melo's contract is.

If you want contemporary comparisons, then look at LBJ. Melo makes more than him. LBJ has 5 conference championships, 4 reg-season MVP awards, 2 finals MVPs, two rings, more All-Star and All-NBA appearances and is a flat out better player. What's Melo got?

Melo's a great player, yes, but 28 mill a year good? No.

You are right about the difference is revenue, obviously players will get paid more today. But when you look at what Melo has accomplished in a team setting, he is simply not worth what he's being paid.

JasonJohnHorn
02-14-2015, 11:31 AM
To at least be a bit fair you have to consider he's playing injured and will need surgery at some point.

We saw what type of monster Wade was in 2006, and has been on both ends of the floor a great player. But guess what, in 2007-08, still on his rookie max playing injured he was part of a 17 win team. Yet we then saw just a few months later once he fully recovered just how much of a force he was for team USA in the 08 Olympics. So it can happen to any player if they are playing injured with a crappy, similarly injured team.

You have some good points, but they need a broader context. When that happened to Wade, he was not making anywhere near the top salary in the NBA, which Melo is now. He was injured and missed significant time, and it was only one season.

This is back-to-back seasons that have seen the Knicks miss the playoffs. And Melo, 4th highest paid player in the league, and is set to be the highest paid player in the last two years of his contract. Back-to-back losing seasons, a contract that has him as the 4th highest paid player, and a lack of team success in the past, all adds up to over paid.

When that happened to Wade, they had lots of injuries and trades, and that season was a wash, but Wade had at least already proved that he was a champion and MVP, so that is a different story. He likewise was not making anywhere near the top salary in the league, so the value they were getting out of the salary that season didn't have the kind of disparity that Melo has this season.

I mean... if you want to have a conversation about how good Melo is... ok.. he's a great individual player, and going one-on-one with any number of players in the league when healthy, he'd likely beat and overwhelming majority. But he's only won three playoff series his entire career, and that was on teams when there were veteran leaders (Kidd or Billups). A guy making the make shouldn't need another leader to motivate teammates into winning or at least competing in the playoffs.

I'd let Melo walk before paying him an average of 25 million per year.

He is 24-44 in the playoffs. Denver only has 1 less playoff win than the Knicks since trading Melo. That doens't add up to almost 28 million in a single season to me. I'd rather have the cap space.

IndyRealist
02-14-2015, 09:08 PM
The point is not simply to compare the scale, but compare what the top paid guys in the 80's did compared to the top paid guys today.

Melo is top paid player outside of Kobe, and nobody is scheduled to make more right now than he is the last two years of his contract. He makes more than LeBron. He make more than Wade. And for what? What team accomplishments has he had? Sure... he's got a scoring title, and he's got All-Star and All-NBA team appearances.... but what does that amount to.

Back in the day, you got paid when you helped your team win. Obviously guy make more now, but to consider the fact that Melo gets paid more in one season than a multiple MVP and champion made in his entire career highlight hos ludicrous Melo's contract is.

If you want contemporary comparisons, then look at LBJ. Melo makes more than him. LBJ has 5 conference championships, 4 reg-season MVP awards, 2 finals MVPs, two rings, more All-Star and All-NBA appearances and is a flat out better player. What's Melo got?

You are right about the difference is revenue, obviously players will get paid more today. But when you look at what Melo has accomplished in a team setting, he is simply not worth what he's being paid.
I agree with everything but the bolded. Comparing what the top paid players do now vs. what they did in any other era is perfectly acceptable, as long as you're not actually talking about how much they made. Max is max for the time period, they aren't really comparable. There's no way for Bird to have made more, and without a salary cap or max salary you'd have a lot of flawed 1st option players making $40-50M, because everyone would have money to spend but there's only one Lebron. So you end up paying a lesser player because if you don't, someone will. That's how much money is out there.

Obviously he's moved up, but 2 years ago Melo was the 16th highest paid player of all time. By the end of his current deal he'll be the 2nd or 3rd highest paid player of all time. A much better comparison would be to Shaq, who earned just about the same money. If he doesn't win a ring (and that's a big if), he'll be the only player in the top 5 salaries not to win one, and one of only two in the top 10 (Joe Johnson being the other, Bosh pushes out Webber with his current deal).

lamzoka
02-15-2015, 12:28 AM

Dude be quiet with this nonsense man.
How can you possibly compare pays scales from the 80's to Now?

During Jordan' rookie season, the salary cap was $3.6 Millions. Today's I believe it's $77 Millions and going up by $20 something millions in 2016.

You're comparing oranges and apples

2-3 years from now, Melo's contract will be a bargain for the Knicks

JasonJohnHorn
02-15-2015, 09:23 AM

During Jordan' rookie season, the salary cap was $3.6 Millions. Today's I believe it's $77 Millions and going up by $20 something millions in 2016.

My intent is more to compare guy with the top salaries... I used the straight up salary comparison more for dramatic effect... but Bird was making a top salary like Melo, but only AFTER he'd proved he could help a team win multiple championship and win multiple MVP awards.

Melo, in my mind, should be in the top four salaries when he hasn't even been to the NBA finals in 11 seasons. He's never won the MVP and never really helped his teams wins. He's needed to be on teams with ACTUAL leaders to get out of the first round: Billups or Kidd. To men, that is not worth 28 million a year. Period.

Melo's contract is the worst in the league.

JasonJohnHorn
02-15-2015, 09:30 AM

Well... Jordan's rookie contract is obviously going to be far less... look at their parallel points in their careeers. At the age of 33 and 34 Jordan made 30 and 33 million. Melo will make 26 and almost 28 respectively at that age.

The point is, again, Jordan, Magic and Bird were at the top of the pay scale because they proved their were not only the best, but could help their teams win.

I don't care if a guy is third or 4th best at his position.. if he can't win and lead, he's shouldn't be making a top-4 salary.

FOXHOUND
02-15-2015, 01:56 PM
You're looking at Melo's contract with a narrow mind, the same way some are looking at the type of contracts like player like Gordon Hayward got and no doubt more will get this summer. Now the the NBPA has unanimously vetoed the idea of cap smoothing, the salary cap in 2016 is going to shoot to $90M+.

So, yes, while Melo is going to be making $24M in 2016, $27M in 2017 and has a PO for $28M in 2018, realize that,

Max Player Year 1 Salary

Less than 7 Years of Service
2014 - $14.75M
2016 - $22.5M*

7-10 Years of Service
2014 - $17.7M
2016 - $27M*

10+ Years of Service
2014 - $20.65M
2016 - $31.5M*

* - based on a cap of $90M and current CBA max contract percentages

So while some may not realize that Melo did in fact take a large pay cut, due to the amount he took less than the full max of what he could have gotten in 2014, realize that by locking in at 2014 rates he did in fact take a huge pay cut. He could have easily gone the LeBron route of taking a 1+1 deal to hit 2016, at which time he will be signing a max that will pay him $30M+ in year 1.

So, basically, in 2016 Melo will be playing on the rate of less than a 7-10 year max player, rather than a 10+ year player that he obviously would be since he is one now. And by taking the pay cut he did now, although small, it being a front loaded discount ensured that with the growing yearly gains that it wouldn't reach as high as it could ($30M).

Edit: I forgot to add about how the salary cap works with growing contracts. For example, how Melo is making $22M this year instead of $20.65M. This is due to being able to get 105% of what the last year on your last deal was. So in 2016, really, LeBron's year 1 salary may be $35M. Melo will be making $24M in 2016.

FOXHOUND
02-15-2015, 01:56 PM
Well... Jordan's rookie contract is obviously going to be far less... look at their parallel points in their careeers. At the age of 33 and 34 Jordan made 30 and 33 million. Melo will make 26 and almost 28 respectively at that age.

The point is, again, Jordan, Magic and Bird were at the top of the pay scale because they proved their were not only the best, but could help their teams win.

I don't care if a guy is third or 4th best at his position.. if he can't win and lead, he's shouldn't be making a top-4 salary.

When Jordan was making $30M, the salary cap itself was $30M.

FOXHOUND
02-15-2015, 02:07 PM
My intent is more to compare guy with the top salaries... I used the straight up salary comparison more for dramatic effect... but Bird was making a top salary like Melo, but only AFTER he'd proved he could help a team win multiple championship and win multiple MVP awards.

Melo, in my mind, should be in the top four salaries when he hasn't even been to the NBA finals in 11 seasons. He's never won the MVP and never really helped his teams wins. He's needed to be on teams with ACTUAL leaders to get out of the first round: Billups or Kidd. To men, that is not worth 28 million a year. Period.

Melo's contract is the worst in the league.

So you think that a player who has missed the playoff just twice in his career doesn't really help his team win? That a player can lead a team to 54-wins and the 3rd best offensive rating in the NBA despite having horrible PG play, horrible defense, horrible rebounding and the only other sort of consistent offensive help being JR Smith?

You aren't watching closely. If Melo was on the Clippers, getting to play with talent like Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan, JJ Redick, Jamal Crawford, etc, he would be in the WCF like he was in 2009. Chris Paul, on the other hand, has still yet to reach the WCF despite being "the best PG in the NBA" and "making his teammates better more than anyone".

JasonJohnHorn
02-15-2015, 02:16 PM
When Jordan was making $30M, the salary cap itself was $30M.

Jordan was worth it. He made the Bulls hundreds of million in revenue.

I understand that the cap was lower then and you can't compare the salaries... I'm just putting this in a broader context.

When you consider what guys like Bird and Magic had to to to be the top paid players bad then, which is winning championships and MVPS awards, and then you look at a guy like Melo.. as good as he is (and he is very good), he's not accomplished what one should have accomplished to be put ahead of Wade and LeBron on the pay scale.

The market does what the market does. Melo's getting paid... fine... but if the conversation is what is the worst contract, then I'm going to go with the guy who gets the most and does the least. Now... Joe Johnson is up thee, but he's not got very long left on his contract and he has more playoff wins than Melo anyways. My point is that when you got 5 positions in the game, and you have a guy who is at best third at his position (behind LBJ and KD obviously), you are not longer even going to win that match-up in the playoffs. KD has accomplished more already and he has been playing half as long as Melo.

Even with the increase, Melo will be making about a third of the cap space the last two seasons, and he's coming off back-to-back lottery seasons and will be 31 next year. In my book, that is not worth 28 million. I would never tie a team down to a contract that big for a player like Melo.

Jordan and Kobe sell tickets and move merchandise.... they are worth whatever you pay them from a business perspective. From a team perspective, they are both winner, so they are worth even more. Same can be said of LBJ now. But Melo? He's neither moving that kind of merchandise, or winning games.

I see NY fans take exception to this, and I understand; that is your guy. He's your All-Star, and yes, he is a VERY talented player, but he's not a winner. He needs other guys on the floor to lead a team, as we've seen with Billups and Kidd. You think if Kidd was 38 years old and the team's point guard they'd only have 10 wins? Sure, they might still be a lottery team, but Kidd would have a fire under everybdoy's @$$ and that team woudl have at least 20 wins right now.

A guy making a salary that puts him in the top 4 needs to do three things: Win, lead, and sell seats and merchandise. If he's only doing one of those things, he's not worth, and if he's accomplishing none of them, he's worth no more than 15 million per year if he happens to be as talented as Melo.

If anybody want to debate that he leads, wins, and makes the team profitable, I'm opening to hearing that person out.

FOXHOUND
02-15-2015, 02:57 PM
Jordan was worth it. He made the Bulls hundreds of million in revenue.

I understand that the cap was lower then and you can't compare the salaries... I'm just putting this in a broader context.

When you consider what guys like Bird and Magic had to to to be the top paid players bad then, which is winning championships and MVPS awards, and then you look at a guy like Melo.. as good as he is (and he is very good), he's not accomplished what one should have accomplished to be put ahead of Wade and LeBron on the pay scale.

The market does what the market does. Melo's getting paid... fine... but if the conversation is what is the worst contract, then I'm going to go with the guy who gets the most and does the least. Now... Joe Johnson is up thee, but he's not got very long left on his contract and he has more playoff wins than Melo anyways. My point is that when you got 5 positions in the game, and you have a guy who is at best third at his position (behind LBJ and KD obviously), you are not longer even going to win that match-up in the playoffs. KD has accomplished more already and he has been playing half as long as Melo.

Even with the increase, Melo will be making about a third of the cap space the last two seasons, and he's coming off back-to-back lottery seasons and will be 31 next year. In my book, that is not worth 28 million. I would never tie a team down to a contract that big for a player like Melo.

Jordan and Kobe sell tickets and move merchandise.... they are worth whatever you pay them from a business perspective. From a team perspective, they are both winner, so they are worth even more. Same can be said of LBJ now. But Melo? He's neither moving that kind of merchandise, or winning games.

I see NY fans take exception to this, and I understand; that is your guy. He's your All-Star, and yes, he is a VERY talented player, but he's not a winner. He needs other guys on the floor to lead a team, as we've seen with Billups and Kidd. You think if Kidd was 38 years old and the team's point guard they'd only have 10 wins? Sure, they might still be a lottery team, but Kidd would have a fire under everybdoy's @$$ and that team woudl have at least 20 wins right now.

A guy making a salary that puts him in the top 4 needs to do three things: Win, lead, and sell seats and merchandise. If he's only doing one of those things, he's not worth, and if he's accomplishing none of them, he's worth no more than 15 million per year if he happens to be as talented as Melo.

If anybody want to debate that he leads, wins, and makes the team profitable, I'm opening to hearing that person out.

Not saying Jordan wasn't worth it, but stating that comparing their salaries is still insane because of the difference in league standing. Back then Karl Malone was the 2nd highest paid player making around $8M per year. Speaking of Karl Malone, he was always a top paid player in the NBA. Are you saying he wasn't worth it? As you know, he didn't make the Finals until 1997, or in other words until his 12th season when he was 33-years old. He also played with this John Stockton guy, maybe you've heard of him?

Melo came up in the western conference, and like many other great players in this era unfortunately played in the same conference as Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan. As if that wasn't enough, he went to a pretty poor franchise in Denver. In Melo's rookie season, when they made the playoffs, that was the first time they had done so since the 94-95 season, 9 years. When he lead them to 50 wins in 07-08, it was the first time Denver won 50 games since the 87-88 season, 20 years!

Back to those Kobe and Duncan guys, they've played in 13 NBA Finals. During Melo's tenure in Denver, 2003-2010, they made the Finals in 7 of 8 years. Melo faced them in the postseason in 4 of those 7 years, three times in the first round. It is what it is, the west was extremely tough and it wasn't until the Nuggets got Chauncey Billups that they had a legit second guy to compete with the top teams out there. And when they did, they were the 2nd seed and made it to the WCF until losing to the 1 seed Lakers.

Now here in the east, much easier conference. Only problem is, these Knicks teams have sucked. Amare may be good at his best, but he's been hurt every year and more importantly hurt for every single postseason. Billups was here for year 1, although a shell of himself, and lasted just 1 game before being hurt. Amare got hurt in game 2. In that series vs Boston, Toney Douglas started 3 games and Landry Fields and Ronny Turiaf started all four. Shawne Williams, Bill Walker and Jared Jeffries all played over 20 MPG. Yeah, that's a playoff team.

Year 2, different year same story. There was Linsanity, who by then was figured out and already at the level we've seen him since. Even then, was hurt and didn't play a single game vs Miami, aka eventual champs. Baron Davis was starting! For a playoff team! In 2012! And bless his heart, he gave his all... until his career ending injury in game 4 :( and... Mike Bibby! Amare, never being outdone in the injury department, had to punch a fire extinguisher and make himself useless. D' Antoni still played him 35 MPG though. Tyson Chandler had to have the flu and be crap, cause he always got the flu here :( Iman Shumpert tore his ACL in game 1 :( Landry Field started 4 games :( Steve Novak started a game :( :( JR Smith chucked his way to 31% :( In short, NOT A PLAYOFF ROSTER

Year 3, ahh, things are together. Limited talent, but a roster of veterans who understand their role and are on the same page. The team rides Melo to 54 wins and a 3-0 lead against Boston. Everything is going great until... JR Smith elbows Jason Terry and derails the entire season. And for good measure, is out partying with Rihanna late at night before games and goes on to shoot 29% vs Indiana. Amare? Yes, of course he's hurt you already know. Tyson Chandler? Didn't have the flu, BUT was still recovering from a late season illness that caused him to lose 15 pounds, and then had Hibbert thoroughly break him in two. Jason Kidd, that guy you keep mentioning, didn't score a single point after the first two games vs Boston. Yeah, fun stuff.

Now that my PTSD has resurfaced, when you look at it he hasn't had good teams in NY, especially the last two years when they have imploded and have gone into clear out mode. In Denver he had good teams, and mainly at the end when they got Billups, but when you compare them to other teams in the west? Eh.

As far as marketability, I can assure you that Melo makes the Knicks a TON of money both in terms of selling seats and merchandise, that isn't even debatable. Has he made them as much as players like Kobe and LeBron make for their team? No, but no one does.

JasonJohnHorn
02-15-2015, 08:19 PM
Not saying Jordan wasn't worth it, but stating that comparing their salaries is still insane because of the difference in league standing. Back then Karl Malone was the 2nd highest paid player making around $8M per year. Speaking of Karl Malone, he was always a top paid player in the NBA. Are you saying he wasn't worth it? As you know, he didn't make the Finals until 1997, or in other words until his 12th season when he was 33-years old. He also played with this John Stockton guy, maybe you've heard of him?

Melo came up in the western conference, and like many other great players in this era unfortunately played in the same conference as Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan. As if that wasn't enough, he went to a pretty poor franchise in Denver. In Melo's rookie season, when they made the playoffs, that was the first time they had done so since the 94-95 season, 9 years. When he lead them to 50 wins in 07-08, it was the first time Denver won 50 games since the 87-88 season, 20 years!

Back to those Kobe and Duncan guys, they've played in 13 NBA Finals. During Melo's tenure in Denver, 2003-2010, they made the Finals in 7 of 8 years. Melo faced them in the postseason in 4 of those 7 years, three times in the first round. It is what it is, the west was extremely tough and it wasn't until the Nuggets got Chauncey Billups that they had a legit second guy to compete with the top teams out there. And when they did, they were the 2nd seed and made it to the WCF until losing to the 1 seed Lakers.

Now here in the east, much easier conference. Only problem is, these Knicks teams have sucked. Amare may be good at his best, but he's been hurt every year and more importantly hurt for every single postseason. Billups was here for year 1, although a shell of himself, and lasted just 1 game before being hurt. Amare got hurt in game 2. In that series vs Boston, Toney Douglas started 3 games and Landry Fields and Ronny Turiaf started all four. Shawne Williams, Bill Walker and Jared Jeffries all played over 20 MPG. Yeah, that's a playoff team.

Year 2, different year same story. There was Linsanity, who by then was figured out and already at the level we've seen him since. Even then, was hurt and didn't play a single game vs Miami, aka eventual champs. Baron Davis was starting! For a playoff team! In 2012! And bless his heart, he gave his all... until his career ending injury in game 4 :( and... Mike Bibby! Amare, never being outdone in the injury department, had to punch a fire extinguisher and make himself useless. D' Antoni still played him 35 MPG though. Tyson Chandler had to have the flu and be crap, cause he always got the flu here :( Iman Shumpert tore his ACL in game 1 :( Landry Field started 4 games :( Steve Novak started a game :( :( JR Smith chucked his way to 31% :( In short, NOT A PLAYOFF ROSTER

Year 3, ahh, things are together. Limited talent, but a roster of veterans who understand their role and are on the same page. The team rides Melo to 54 wins and a 3-0 lead against Boston. Everything is going great until... JR Smith elbows Jason Terry and derails the entire season. And for good measure, is out partying with Rihanna late at night before games and goes on to shoot 29% vs Indiana. Amare? Yes, of course he's hurt you already know. Tyson Chandler? Didn't have the flu, BUT was still recovering from a late season illness that caused him to lose 15 pounds, and then had Hibbert thoroughly break him in two. Jason Kidd, that guy you keep mentioning, didn't score a single point after the first two games vs Boston. Yeah, fun stuff.

Now that my PTSD has resurfaced, when you look at it he hasn't had good teams in NY, especially the last two years when they have imploded and have gone into clear out mode. In Denver he had good teams, and mainly at the end when they got Billups, but when you compare them to other teams in the west? Eh.

As far as marketability, I can assure you that Melo makes the Knicks a TON of money both in terms of selling seats and merchandise, that isn't even debatable. Has he made them as much as players like Kobe and LeBron make for their team? No, but no one does.

Let me ask you this. If LBJ or KD were on those Denver teams instead, would they have won more?

As for Kidd's impact, it's not just about on-court productivity and points scored. Kidd is a leader. When somebody isn't pulling their weight, he gets on their @$$ about it and makes sure they are getting it done. And he was there throughout the regular season helping to mentor guys and keep them motivated and take their defensive roles and hustle seriously. Without him there, that leadership goes out the window. It's like that season Sam Cassell was in LAC... sure, he wasn't the best point guard in the league, but he was a great team motivator. When break was called in practice, he'd keep shooting free throws, or ask somebody to run a play, and others followed. Soon, nobody was taking breaks in practice, or in games. That is the leadership element.

As for Melo making the Knicks money.... the Knicks make the Knicks money. They make money when they have David Lee as their best player, or Zach Randolph. Do they sell seats? YES! They are the Knicks. They play in the biggest market in the country. Melo isn't making that better. He's treading water. Whenever NY gets a new All-Star they sell merchandise for that guy. I use to see guys with Crawford jerseys for crying out loud. You put Kobe or LBJ in NY, and you will see their merchandising rival the Jordan's Bulls era merchandising. Do Melo jerseys sell? Yeah... more than David Lee's? Sure. But enough to make him an elite merchandise machine in the NBA? No, as you said yourself, LBJ and Kobe are easily ahead of him.

Melo was SIXTH in jersey sales last year. KD sold more than him and he plays in OKC. That town has 600 000 people. The STATE onyl has 3.8 million. New York city has over double the population of the state. And Melo can't outsell him in jerseys? That is not a guy who moves merchandise.

Derick Rose also outsold Melo last year, and he didn't even play!

And Stephen Curry outsold him... Oakland only has 400 000 people... NY has over 18 times as many people! And that state has THREE other teams that Curry is competing with for fans.... one of them being the Lakers!

Don't pretend like Melo sells tickets. The Knicks have been selling out season tickets for decades, long before Melo came tot he city. There's no way to improve ticket sales for a team that sells out every game, so let's not pretend as if that's Melo putting @$$e$ in the seats. And their merchandise isn't any higher now compared to the rest of the league than it was when Marbury was their team captain.

FOXHOUND
02-15-2015, 09:48 PM
Let me ask you this. If LBJ or KD were on those Denver teams instead, would they have won more?

As for Kidd's impact, it's not just about on-court productivity and points scored. Kidd is a leader. When somebody isn't pulling their weight, he gets on their @$$ about it and makes sure they are getting it done. And he was there throughout the regular season helping to mentor guys and keep them motivated and take their defensive roles and hustle seriously. Without him there, that leadership goes out the window. It's like that season Sam Cassell was in LAC... sure, he wasn't the best point guard in the league, but he was a great team motivator. When break was called in practice, he'd keep shooting free throws, or ask somebody to run a play, and others followed. Soon, nobody was taking breaks in practice, or in games. That is the leadership element.

As for Melo making the Knicks money.... the Knicks make the Knicks money. They make money when they have David Lee as their best player, or Zach Randolph. Do they sell seats? YES! They are the Knicks. They play in the biggest market in the country. Melo isn't making that better. He's treading water. Whenever NY gets a new All-Star they sell merchandise for that guy. I use to see guys with Crawford jerseys for crying out loud. You put Kobe or LBJ in NY, and you will see their merchandising rival the Jordan's Bulls era merchandising. Do Melo jerseys sell? Yeah... more than David Lee's? Sure. But enough to make him an elite merchandise machine in the NBA? No, as you said yourself, LBJ and Kobe are easily ahead of him.

Melo was SIXTH in jersey sales last year. KD sold more than him and he plays in OKC. That town has 600 000 people. The STATE onyl has 3.8 million. New York city has over double the population of the state. And Melo can't outsell him in jerseys? That is not a guy who moves merchandise.

Derick Rose also outsold Melo last year, and he didn't even play!

And Stephen Curry outsold him... Oakland only has 400 000 people... NY has over 18 times as many people! And that state has THREE other teams that Curry is competing with for fans.... one of them being the Lakers!

Don't pretend like Melo sells tickets. The Knicks have been selling out season tickets for decades, long before Melo came tot he city. There's no way to improve ticket sales for a team that sells out every game, so let's not pretend as if that's Melo putting @$$e$ in the seats. And their merchandise isn't any higher now compared to the rest of the league than it was when Marbury was their team captain.

LBJ and Durant are the best two players in the NBA. If you replace them with anyone, that team is going to be better. Not sure why you single out Melo in that stance as if he's the only one not on their level.

Yes, Kidd's impact in intangibles was tremendous. I loved his brief time here, even if he only played good for the first few months. Having said that, having him out there was literally playing 4 on 5. He was so beyond done by the postseason, he finally lost his rotation spot in the last 3 games vs Indiana. From January on, he was done as a player and rightfully retired. His leadership was missed, but so was the leadership and professionalism of guys like Kenyon Martin and Kurt Thomas. It wasn't just Kidd, it was the fact that the entire roster was on the same page and all working together for the same goal. The next year that went to hell, starting with bringing JR back which was a disastrous decision, firing Grunwald right before camp which set an eerie tone and the team being so incredibly dumb enough to give Chris Smith, JR's worthless brother, a roster spot. They took away the team orientated professionalism and got overrun by CAA. Nothing to do with Melo, as he was one of the few Knicks who actually busted their behind.

Yes, the team has always sold tickets, but have they always sold them at the same price? The Knicks prices in everything have skyrocketed since the Melo trade, getting to the postseason adds extra revenue, they felt confident enough to undergo a $1B renovation and hike up the prices to the highest they have ever been because they had Melo at the forefront. Now this season, they've lowered prices to pre-Melo prices with how bad they've been. The Knicks will always ensure they sell out, like any NBA franchise who isn't dumb, but there's a big difference in how much they can charge and succeed that goal. Since Melo has been around, the Knicks have made a lot more money and franchise value has skyrocketed.

So you're saying Melo was 6th in the NBA in jersey sales last year. Seems pretty high. KD is arguably the best player in the NBA, he doesn't rely on hometown sales for his jerseys, he sells worldwide. A guy who is 6th in the NBA in jersey sales definitely moves merchandise, you're contradicting yourself bad. Know who is a player who doesn't move merchandise? Someone like Joe Johnson. There's five players in the entire NBA selling more jerseys than Melo. Five.

Melo does sell tickets, being that his face is plastered all over NY. He is the Knicks main draw and has been since he got here. He allows them to jack up prices and still sell out. He gives the team legitimate clout when they put a halfway decent team around them as he leads them to the playoffs, which nets them a lot more revenue even if has been short lived with those crappy playoff teams. You're saying he doesn't sell more than the five most marketable players in the NBA, well then he still sells more than the other 400+ odd players, right?

JasonJohnHorn
02-15-2015, 11:56 PM
LBJ and Durant are the best two players in the NBA. If you replace them with anyone, that team is going to be better. Not sure why you single out Melo in that stance as if he's the only one not on their level.

Yes, Kidd's impact in intangibles was tremendous. I loved his brief time here, even if he only played good for the first few months. Having said that, having him out there was literally playing 4 on 5. He was so beyond done by the postseason, he finally lost his rotation spot in the last 3 games vs Indiana. From January on, he was done as a player and rightfully retired. His leadership was missed, but so was the leadership and professionalism of guys like Kenyon Martin and Kurt Thomas. It wasn't just Kidd, it was the fact that the entire roster was on the same page and all working together for the same goal. The next year that went to hell, starting with bringing JR back which was a disastrous decision, firing Grunwald right before camp which set an eerie tone and the team being so incredibly dumb enough to give Chris Smith, JR's worthless brother, a roster spot. They took away the team orientated professionalism and got overrun by CAA. Nothing to do with Melo, as he was one of the few Knicks who actually busted their behind.

Yes, the team has always sold tickets, but have they always sold them at the same price? The Knicks prices in everything have skyrocketed since the Melo trade, getting to the postseason adds extra revenue, they felt confident enough to undergo a $1B renovation and hike up the prices to the highest they have ever been because they had Melo at the forefront. Now this season, they've lowered prices to pre-Melo prices with how bad they've been. The Knicks will always ensure they sell out, like any NBA franchise who isn't dumb, but there's a big difference in how much they can charge and succeed that goal. Since Melo has been around, the Knicks have made a lot more money and franchise value has skyrocketed.

So you're saying Melo was 6th in the NBA in jersey sales last year. Seems pretty high. KD is arguably the best player in the NBA, he doesn't rely on hometown sales for his jerseys, he sells worldwide. A guy who is 6th in the NBA in jersey sales definitely moves merchandise, you're contradicting yourself bad. Know who is a player who doesn't move merchandise? Someone like Joe Johnson. There's five players in the entire NBA selling more jerseys than Melo. Five.

Melo does sell tickets, being that his face is plastered all over NY. He is the Knicks main draw and has been since he got here. He allows them to jack up prices and still sell out. He gives the team legitimate clout when they put a halfway decent team around them as he leads them to the playoffs, which nets them a lot more revenue even if has been short lived with those crappy playoff teams. You're saying he doesn't sell more than the five most marketable players in the NBA, well then he still sells more than the other 400+ odd players, right?

I picked out Melo because the conversation is about the worst contract, and since Melo is set to make more than any player in the league is currently signed for, and hasn't achieved what these other players have, I see that as the worst contract. It's not meant as a personal attack on Melo.

As for ticket prices going up... they always go up. It's New York. You have the wealthiest people in the country in that city. It's not like Detroit or Charlotte where you have to offer discounts to sell seats. If you sell out the entire building every game with an average ticket of 119, then next year they'll bump it up to 125... it doesn't matter who the face of the franchise is.

As for Durant relying in national sales... those are the same sales that Melo has access to as well, and given that I've ALWAYS seen NY merchandise (the only two teams I've seen more of is LAL and CHI), then Melo should have the upperhand selling to the national market, but the fact that KD, and Curry outsold him indicates that they are players who move more merchandise. Plain and simply. There is no way to spin that. That is quantifiable. And the fact that Melo sells to a MUCH larger market (more than 8 times Curry and KD's market combined) and is on a team that is more recognizable than either team KD and Curry play fore, is a further indication that his isn't as marketable. Melo has a VERY distinct advantage because he plays in the biggest market. The fact that he's not on top of a guy whose home city has less than 400 000 when he is in a market with 8 million should tell you something. 6th in the league is impressive, but in that context, given that Kobe and Rose, neither of whom even played much last year, are well ahead of a guy who played all season, tells you something.

And just because he's the Knick's main draw doesn't mean he is a good draw, it just means that he's the best they got. Every team has somebody on their roster who is their best draw. There has to be simply by default. It's not like Melo's playing on a team with KD, Kobe and LBJ and he's out drawing them. He's out drawing Amar'e and Bargnani. That isn't even worth bringing up.

And it's not liek KD has the national following you think. He didn't even get voted to the All-Star game despite the fact that he was clearly playing better than either Melo or Kobe this season, both of whom were voted onto the team.

Again... I'm not trying to knock Melo. He' s the third best player at his position but as such, he doesn't deserve to be the highest paid player at his position, which he is, let along the played with the highest annual salary due to him among any deal currently signed in the NBA.

FOXHOUND
02-16-2015, 11:21 AM
I picked out Melo because the conversation is about the worst contract, and since Melo is set to make more than any player in the league is currently signed for, and hasn't achieved what these other players have, I see that as the worst contract. It's not meant as a personal attack on Melo.

As for ticket prices going up... they always go up. It's New York. You have the wealthiest people in the country in that city. It's not like Detroit or Charlotte where you have to offer discounts to sell seats. If you sell out the entire building every game with an average ticket of 119, then next year they'll bump it up to 125... it doesn't matter who the face of the franchise is.

As for Durant relying in national sales... those are the same sales that Melo has access to as well, and given that I've ALWAYS seen NY merchandise (the only two teams I've seen more of is LAL and CHI), then Melo should have the upperhand selling to the national market, but the fact that KD, and Curry outsold him indicates that they are players who move more merchandise. Plain and simply. There is no way to spin that. That is quantifiable. And the fact that Melo sells to a MUCH larger market (more than 8 times Curry and KD's market combined) and is on a team that is more recognizable than either team KD and Curry play fore, is a further indication that his isn't as marketable. Melo has a VERY distinct advantage because he plays in the biggest market. The fact that he's not on top of a guy whose home city has less than 400 000 when he is in a market with 8 million should tell you something. 6th in the league is impressive, but in that context, given that Kobe and Rose, neither of whom even played much last year, are well ahead of a guy who played all season, tells you something.

And just because he's the Knick's main draw doesn't mean he is a good draw, it just means that he's the best they got. Every team has somebody on their roster who is their best draw. There has to be simply by default. It's not like Melo's playing on a team with KD, Kobe and LBJ and he's out drawing them. He's out drawing Amar'e and Bargnani. That isn't even worth bringing up.

And it's not liek KD has the national following you think. He didn't even get voted to the All-Star game despite the fact that he was clearly playing better than either Melo or Kobe this season, both of whom were voted onto the team.

Again... I'm not trying to knock Melo. He' s the third best player at his position but as such, he doesn't deserve to be the highest paid player at his position, which he is, let along the played with the highest annual salary due to him among any deal currently signed in the NBA.

OK, but like I pointed out, with the new CBA and cash influx coming, in the end this will be a pay cut. In 2016 Melo will make $24M, while Durant will sign a new deal with year one being at least $27M and LeBron will sign a deal with year one being at least $31M.

Melo's deal was not made thinking about 2014-15, it was made thinking about then entirety of the deal. Having him playing on 2014 rates for 5 years is a huge discount, because in 2016 every max deal will start at $20M. The deal Klay Thompson and Gordan Hayward got will be $20M in 2016, instead of $14M. The deal Melo got will be $31M in 2016, instead of $22M.

The fact is, Melo will never be the highest paid player in the NBA. This year he is 4th, next year he is 3rd and in 2016 he will be passed by at least LeBron, Durant and Dwight, who can and will opt out to cash in. Could be Kevin Love as well if he opts in to wait for 2016, which I imagine he will. He will also make close to many other players, players like Noah and Hibbert who may not get the max but a pay cut will still leave them with a $20M average salary. Maybe not Hibbert, but as a big man it's possible. He is playing on a max contract now, after all.