PDA

View Full Version : Gorgui Dieng, Hassan Whiteside, Rudy Gobert

Redrum187
02-11-2015, 06:37 PM
These 3 guys have truly been fun to watch, rebounding, scoring, and most importantly, shot blocking/protecting the rim.

In what order would you want these guys on your team? Who has more potential in this league? What kind of contract would you offer these players? Any future predictions?

Goose17
02-11-2015, 06:40 PM
Specifically for the Warriors;

1. Gobert
2. Dieng
3. Whiteside

I've wanted Gobert all season haha, he would be perfect for when Bogut breaks a nail or whatever he sits out for next. We need a good back up big guy that can defend the rim.

I only put Whiteside last because he's only signed for this season, who knows what he'll get in the offseason.

PurpleLynch
02-11-2015, 07:02 PM
Though choice. They are all good prospects.
Gobert is the youngest of the group,so I think he has a higher ceiling than Dieng and Whiteside.
Whiteside is the only one ready for the Nba.
I don't know about Dieng,I watched him rarely,but stats say that he's having a very good season.

Right now I'd take Whiteside.
In the future I can see Gobert having a nice career.
Dieng is surrounded with raw(and extremely good) talent though,plus he's having a great season.

We will see,I like them all.

tp13baby
02-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Well as a Nugget fan, I wouldn't have anyone of them.

All due respect to all of them. Jusuf Nurkic needs to be put in this category. Finally he gets to start, and since has put up a higher PER 48 min in scoring, rebounding, and steals than Gobert and Dieng at age 20. 2 years younger than Gobert.

Add Nurkic to this conversation. The issue with him is foul trouble and turnovers but he has averaged about 9 ppg and 8 rebounds the past 2 months since becoming a big part of the team.

Otherwise Gobert has the most potential outside of Nurkic and then I would go with Dieng.

PurpleLynch
02-11-2015, 07:48 PM
Well as a Nugget fan, I wouldn't have anyone of them.

All due respect to all of them. Jusuf Nurkic needs to be put in this category. Finally he gets to start, and since has put up a higher PER 48 min in scoring, rebounding, and steals than Gobert and Dieng at age 20. 2 years younger than Gobert.

Add Nurkic to this conversation. The issue with him is foul trouble and turnovers but he has averaged about 9 ppg and 8 rebounds the past 2 months since becoming a big part of the team.

Otherwise Gobert has the most potential outside of Nurkic and then I would go with Dieng.

Nurkic must be in the competition,I agree.

beasted86
02-11-2015, 08:16 PM
Well there's only one guy in this list who has a triple double with blocks and based on the last month of play lead the league by a landslide in block percentage. Its clear who the most impactful is right now disregarding age.

So really this had to be based on the factor of whether you think Whiteside has simply been a fluke like Linsanity and has already hit his ceiling.

KnicksorBust
02-11-2015, 08:21 PM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-rebirth-of-big-men-a-breakdown-of-old-school-bulk-and-new-era-skill/

Must read if you want to learn about the up and coming bigs in the league.

Jumba
02-11-2015, 08:28 PM
.1. Gobert
2. Whiteside
3.GORGEY DANNNNNNNG

Gobert is a franchise building block, and one of the top 5 steals of the 2013 draft.

Miltstar
02-11-2015, 08:45 PM
You could add Alex Len and Steven Adams to this conversation as well.

KnicksorBust
02-11-2015, 08:51 PM
You could add Alex Len and Steven Adams to this conversation as well.

You read the article? Lol

Redrum187
02-11-2015, 08:53 PM
You read the article? Lol

I did. It was a great read.

I'm not a huge fan of Adams, but I think he is pretty good. Nurkic is awesome. I hope he becomes a little more efficient on the offensive end but I expect that to improve with more playing time.

JEDean89
02-11-2015, 09:09 PM
Nurkic has been the only thing keeping me going this season as a Knicks/Nuggets fan. I think his upside is higher than these guys, though if Hassan can keep up his level of play over the course of a season, and get his minutes up to 30 a game and still be a 25+ PER guy, then god damn, those guys just don't come around. I think Dieng and Gobert are at or near their respective ceilings. Gobert is an interesting player, it will be interesting to see how he develops. I dunno, I kind of view Nurkic vs Gobert as a Deandre Jordan vs Demarcus Cousins. Deandre just catches lobs and dunks, so his PER is really high, but he can't create his own shot. I haven't seen too much Gobert but when I watch he converts on lobs and putbacks. His real strength is his rim protection, and no doubt his is elite at that but offesnively, it's easy to shoot 60% when all your doing is dunking 4-5 times a game. Maybe he has unseen potential, but I just don't think he'll be a top 5 C.

IMO the real rebirth of the big men are in Anthony Davis, Nurkic, Len, Cousins, and Adams, as well as Towns, Jahlil and the true ultimate, Thon Maker. Thon Maker is so physically impressive at 7' 1" 240 lbs that he makes guys like Anthony Davis look normal. Add his guard skills, soft touch and drive and I think Thon vs the Brow will be the Chamberlain vs Russell of our day.

b_russ
02-11-2015, 09:13 PM
This is tough. Whiteside's sample size is what's making me second guess my #1. If he keeps this up, I have a tough time imagining any of the other options getting to that level of production even if they hit their peaks later on. Asside from Whiteside, they're on rookie deals with more years to play on that salary so it's hard to say where they'll be when their contracts are up and what kind of offers they should get. Admitting I've seen limited play from Len and Nurkic and Gobert the most here's how I'd rank all of the ones mentioned in the thread (and some others kind of in that mold and age group) going forward:

1. Gobert
2. Whiteside
3. Nurkic (seriously could be 1 or 2)
4. Noel (I'll probably eat crow for ranking him so low)
5. Len
6. Mason Plumlee
7. Adams
8. Dieng
9. Tyler Zeller
10. Ed Davis

He could be mentioned but not really considered "up and coming" because we already knew about him, but I'd rank Drummond over them all.

J_M_B
02-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Specifically for the Warriors;

1. Gobert
2. Dieng
3. Whiteside

I've wanted Gobert all season haha, he would be perfect for when Bogut breaks a nail or whatever he sits out for next. We need a good back up big guy that can defend the rim.

I only put Whiteside last because he's only signed for this season, who knows what he'll get in the offseason.

Whiteside signed a two year deal

b_russ
02-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Nurkic has been the only thing keeping me going this season as a Knicks/Nuggets fan. I think his upside is higher than these guys, though if Hassan can keep up his level of play over the course of a season, and get his minutes up to 30 a game and still be a 25+ PER guy, then god damn, those guys just don't come around. I think Dieng and Gobert are at or near their respective ceilings. Gobert is an interesting player, it will be interesting to see how he develops. I dunno, I kind of view Nurkic vs Gobert as a Deandre Jordan vs Demarcus Cousins. Deandre just catches lobs and dunks, so his PER is really high, but he can't create his own shot. I haven't seen too much Gobert but when I watch he converts on lobs and putbacks. His real strength is his rim protection, and no doubt his is elite at that but offesnively, it's easy to shoot 60% when all your doing is dunking 4-5 times a game. Maybe he has unseen potential, but I just don't think he'll be a top 5 C.

Responding to the bold, I think that's true for Dieng but I think Gobert's going to be better. Maybe not so much defensively (he'll improve his decision making) but I think he'll develop his passing, his hands and his touch. He'll probably never have a midrange or outside shot though. If he's going to be the lob threat that Jordan is he'll have to work on his hands which may never happen.

IMO the real rebirth of the big men are in Anthony Davis, Nurkic, Len, Cousins, and Adams, as well as Towns, Jahlil and the true ultimate, Thon Maker. Thon Maker is so physically impressive at 7' 1" 240 lbs that he makes guys like Anthony Davis look normal. Add his guard skills, soft touch and drive and I think Thon vs the Brow will be the Chamberlain vs Russell of our day.

I didn't throw in guys like Davis and Cousins because I didn't think they fit this same kind of comparison considering they're already elite go to guys offensively. Scary thing is Davis is going to get better offensively and I think he's got a lot of room to grow defensively too.

Hopefully Maker turns out because he looks like a Durant/Garnett/Davis hybrid.

Miltstar
02-11-2015, 09:36 PM
He could be mentioned but not really considered "up and coming" because we already knew about him, but I'd rank Drummond over them all.

Guys like Drummond, Valanciunas and Vucevic all could be included as they are all of similar age, but they've already established themselves much more than the others we're talking about. Embiid is another one you could put in the mix although we don't know anything about him on the NBA level.

b_russ
02-11-2015, 09:43 PM
Guys like Drummond, Valanciunas and Vucevic all could be included as they are all of similar age, but they've already established themselves much more than the others we're talking about. Embiid is another one you could put in the mix although we don't know anything about him on the NBA level.

I thought about Embiid too but based on your point I didn't mention him. If you were to include Val and Vuc you have to list Favors and Kanter and probably others too, but based on the OP I feel like they don't fit (age, recently drafted, defensive paint presence and emerging from "who?" to "wow!" status this season.

Miltstar
02-11-2015, 09:54 PM
I thought about Embiid too but based on your point I didn't mention him. If you were to include Val and Vuc you have to list Favors and Kanter and probably others too, but based on the OP I feel like they don't fit (age, recently drafted, defensive paint presence and emerging from "who?" to "wow!" status this season.

Ya, I agree out of the guys we're talking about i'd rank them

1. Nurkic
2. Gobert
3. Len
4. Whiteside
5. Adams
6. Dieng

WaDe03
02-12-2015, 01:38 PM
How can this not be Whiteside?

Six-8-TheWizard
02-13-2015, 05:25 AM
In a vacuum (taking out team needs/contract status from the equation):

1. Gobert (Offense is suspect but defense is already really good and most potential)
2. Len (Elite rim protector already, offense is better than he gets credit for cause he doesn't get touches, good potential, some injury concerns)
3. Nurkic (Love his mentality, smart player, very underrated all around game, elite rebounder, good defender, ok offense, needs to stop fouling)
4. Noel (Similar to Gobert, really good defender, suspect offense, lot of potential)
5. Dieng (Arguably the best all around player of this group. high IQ, not sure how much higher his ceiling is beyond this though)
6. Whiteside (He's clearly got all the tools and has shown he can play, still question him mentally and how much of his recent run is real vs fluke, also less potential given age)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7. Olynyk (High IQ, very skilled offensively, good all around player, less potential due to age but proven a very hard worker, outside top tier mainly due to lack of potential)
8. Henson (Long, elite shot blocker, developing offense)
9. Mason Plumlee (Athletic, good rebounding/defense, lower potential and can't hit free throws)
10. Adams (Scrappy, improving player, question his upside though on offense)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11. Motijunas
12. Cody Zeller
13. Tyler Zeller
14. Miles Plumlee

I consider the guys I listed as emerging bigs who are on the cusp of taking that next step. I left out guys like Valanciunas, Davis, Drummond, Vucevic, etc who are arguably passed this stage already in both skill and development, guys like Vonleh, Embid, etc who haven't really had a chance to get to this stage yet and guys like Tristan Thompson, etc who are around the skill level of some guys like Adams, Plumlee, Zeller, etc but while still fairly young have more or less hit their ceiling by now

For the record, I would say anyone is interchangeable within the tier I put them in based on team needs. I put Gobert first based on potential (ie if I was starting a team right now), but I don't necessarily think he's going to be the best of those guys (I would probably bet on Len or Nurkic along those lines)

futureman
02-13-2015, 02:42 PM
Whiteside is about 5 years older than Gobert. But I still have to put Whiteside at Number 1. He is consitstant and he will get a lot of money this summer. He is a double double machine and Gobert is not quite there yet. I was going to say Rudy Gobert was in the bag for MIP, however I think whiteside will be getting that now.