PDA

View Full Version : Where do you rank Gordon Hayward?

Goose17
02-11-2015, 06:22 PM
I'm not sure if it's due to playing in Utah or what but I feel like the average fan is sleeping on him. He's having a very good season (albeit quiet, aside from the 30 point outbursts). I am biased, he became one of my favourite players his rookie year and I've followed him since. So I'm trying to see past my own bias but out of curiosity where do you rank him among SFs?

FYI;

He's averaging;
20 PPG,
5 RPG,
4 APG,
1.4 SPG,
46% FG,
39% 3PT,
80% FT,

Redrum187
02-11-2015, 06:27 PM
He is a top 5 SF for me.

1.) LeBron James
2.) Kevin Durant
3.) Carmelo Anthony
4.) Kawhi Leonard
5.) Gordon Hayward

(Not counting Jimmy Butler or Draymond Green SF.)

If he improves defensively while keeping the same offensive output, he will overtake Carmelo Anthony in a season or two. I just don't know if he will develop in that area.

b_russ
02-11-2015, 07:36 PM
Edit: Sorry, I didn't anticipate writing a biography, but I feel like the context gives better understanding to where he really should be considered within ranks of top players.

He doesn't get a lot of national coverage and I'm guessing the Jazz aren't picked as a league pass team on the majority of subscriptions. That with, as Goose brought up, Utah's record it's probably easy to look over him as a top player in the league. When he was drafted, in my ignorance I assumed he was supposed to be the Jazz's Kover replacement and sit on the 3 point line and come off screens for open jump shots. To this day, from a national standpoint I still think that a lot of people think that's who he is. His rookie year in the minutes he played with Deron Williams you could visually watch his confidence being destroyed. That tacked on with expectations of being lottery pick the first lottery pick (9th in 2010) Utah's had since Deron Williams (3rd in 2005 who quickly rose to stardom) I believe plagued him mentally for years. Last season three years in he was pegged with the responsibilities to be "the guy" and carry the team to the next phase and in that role he really struggled. Despite his poor efficiency he was rumored to get a huge deal with Cleveland then ended up signing his max deal with Charlotte which obviously Utah matched. It seemed like not only was he happy for the huge paycheck but eagerly anticipating a change (playing in a system he didn't really agree with, exhaustion from losing for the first time in his career, being labeled as "the white guy" in the white market.) Since Quin Synder was hired, Hayward (and really the whole team) has embraced the new basketball culture that he brought with him from Atlanta and previous successful stints.

Although he didn't make the cut, his time with US national team has done for him what it did for others this season and from the past. The vibe that he gives of in both games and interviews gives the impression that he truly considers himself one of the elite players in the league. This season in particular we've seen how valuable and important certain players in certain roles with an elite skill(s) have excelled and in doing so have received deserving recognition (ie Kyle Korver, Draymond Green, Wes Matthews) but I wouldn't classify Hayward's improved game with that group. He has become an excellent playmaker, ballhandler, passer and scorer especially when attacking the rim. His 3 point shooting should should be considered streaky rather than a reliable consistent asset. It has improved a lot this season, but it's come in highs and lows. This summer he bulked up a lot and he's been able to finish at the basket much better and fight through screens that he didn't used to. He's become very well rounded and has exceeded my personal expectations especially considering his play last year.

It's the new cliché thing to say, but I do think he would be an all-star this year if he were in the east. All that said, I'd say he's currently a top 20 player.

KnicksorBust
02-11-2015, 08:50 PM
For me it is the entire Jazz roster that is under the microscope. With Favors, Kanter, Burke, and now Gobert this team needs to gel in the next year. Some of them are already on big long term deals and the wins havent materialized. The hope would be that a team of Durant, Westbrook, Green won 23 games... so this team has time. After next season though I would begin to consider them all overrated if they continue to be one of the worst defensive teams in the league and a complete nonfactor in the playoff picture.

b_russ
02-11-2015, 10:30 PM
For me it is the entire Jazz roster that is under the microscope. With Favors, Kanter, Burke, and now Gobert this team needs to gel in the next year. Some of them are already on big long term deals and the wins havent materialized. The hope would be that a team of Durant, Westbrook, Green won 23 games... so this team has time. After next season though I would begin to consider them all overrated if they continue to be one of the worst defensive teams in the league and a complete nonfactor in the playoff picture.

Not to go off on a tangent, but they're in a different ballpark comparison wise. No one on the Jazz is going to touch Durant or Westbrook's level, with the only wildcard exception being Exum. But that's a long way away. Even though I just raved about him, Hayward and Favors are built to be 2nd/3rd/4th options on a great team. They could fight for the playoffs but it's hard to imagine any West teams falling off.

Wild scenario next season: lets say the Spurs show their age and Duncan retires, Marc Gasol leaves for the East. You still have improving Anthony freaking Davis and the Pelicans, youthful Phoenix Suns, George Karl Kings?, and hopefully healthy young talented Wolves to overcome just to get into the playoffs.

The Jazz are building for the future no doubt, but next season may be too soon to have those kind of expectations even if Favors and Hayward begin to plateau.

dhopisthename
02-11-2015, 11:33 PM

our problem has been our gaurds. its been horrendous the whole year.

Matter.
02-11-2015, 11:49 PM
top 5 SF

PurpleLynch
02-12-2015, 09:12 AM
Top 10. He doesn't crack my top 5 because Iggy is ahead of him at 5th spot,but he's good enough to be in the top 10. Batum,Parsons,Gay are other names who should be in the top 10.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
02-12-2015, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=KnicksorBust;29612381]
our problem has been our gaurds. its been horrendous the whole year.

I was beat by b_Russ, but I agree completely with him on the fact that I see Hayward and Favors being # 2 and 3 options if not even maybe have Favors as low as a #4 option to be a good team. I would have Gobert as the #5 option since his offense is limited. That have to find a #1 and 4 or a #1 and 3 option. Most likely those options have to cone from the guard spot with Hayward, Favors, and Gobert as 2, 3, 5 or 2, 4, 5. Idk what Exum will grow into but it would be nice to have him be that #3/#4 option from the point. Than maybe the can find a #1 option in the draft this year.

IMO Hayward could be one of the top option #2s in the league.

I would say he's probably in the #5 to #8/9 ranked sf right now.

I really hope that the Jazz can find someone to be their #1 option at the 2 spot and that team can grow with a starting line up of Exum, 2015 draft pick, Hayward, Favors, Gobert! Depending on how much of the potential that Exum, Gobert, and the draft pick can reach they would be a awesome/ really fun team to watch!

ThuglifeJ
02-12-2015, 10:16 AM
Top 10. He doesn't crack my top 5 because Iggy is ahead of him at 5th spot,but he's good enough to be in the top 10. Batum,Parsons,Gay are other names who should be in the top 10.

********. He's far better player than Iggy, Gay, Parsons, and Batum of this year. What are you watching? Iggy is terrible now.

He's 4th behind Lebron, Durant, Leonard. Maybe 5th with Melo.

Goose17
02-12-2015, 10:49 AM
********. He's far better player than Iggy, Gay, Parsons, and Batum of this year. What are you watching? Iggy is terrible now.

Iguodala is far from terrible. He's below average when it comes to scoring but he's still an elite defender and decent distributor.

Last I checked he was leading all bench players in +/-

dhopisthename
02-12-2015, 11:28 AM
even as a jazz fan its hard to rank guys who put up stats on mediocre/bad teams. I think hayward has been awesome this year and he just had a 10 game stretch of putting up 23/4/5 on insane efficiency, but I am not sure he is a #1 on anything more then a low playoff seed.

ThuglifeJ
02-12-2015, 12:31 PM

Iguodala is far from terrible. He's below average when it comes to scoring but he's still an elite defender and decent distributor.

Last I checked he was leading all bench players in +/-

He makes a lot of mistakes IMO too many. I guess terrible is a stretch but I expected better out of him.

Goose17
02-12-2015, 02:07 PM
He makes a lot of mistakes IMO too many. I guess terrible is a stretch but I expected better out of him.

Yeah I get that. But I do think terrible is an exaggeration. I mean that word should be reserved for guys like Felton.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
02-12-2015, 11:31 PM
even as a jazz fan its hard to rank guys who put up stats on mediocre/bad teams. I think hayward has been awesome this year and he just had a 10 game stretch of putting up 23/4/5 on insane efficiency, but I am not sure he is a #1 on anything more then a low playoff seed.

Agree on the number 1 option thing. IMO he would be a top number 2 option in this league!