PDA

View Full Version : Finally...Steve Nash is mentoring Jordan Clarkson

Rocco007
02-11-2015, 06:05 PM
On the heels of what he called his “hardest … welcome to the NBA” moment, Jordan Clarkson was asked to describe his plans for the All-Star break.

The Lakers’ rookie said that after the Lakers play Wednesday in Portland, he will return home to San Antonio, work on his game at the gymnasium of his old stomping grounds, Wagner High School, and then get back early to work with a teammate.

Well, a quasi-teammate.

Steve Nash has re-entered the Lakers fold as a mentor to Clarkson, realizing a season-long plea from coach Byron Scott – not to mention Lakers fans, wondering how Nash would be earning the $9.7 million owed to him this season.

The need for guidance has become heightened over the three weeks, since Clarkson moved into the Lakers’ starting lineup. He is being groomed as a point guard, and worked with Nash at least once before the Lakers embarked on their recent four-game East Coast road trip.

“That’s why I’m going to come back a little early,” Clarkson said, “is to get some work in with Steve”

What will they tackle?

“We’ll probably watch some film and then go from there,” Clarkson said.

Clarkson finished with seven points and a career-high seven assists in Tuesday’s 106-96 loss to Denver, but the rookie was pulled with 1:11 remaining after his defense had allowed Nuggets point guard Ty Lawson to take command of the game.

Lawson scored a game-high 32 points, and added 16 assists.

“(When) you give him as much space as we were giving him,” Scott said, “or as Jordan was giving him, he’s going to beat you. So that’s what I told him when I took him out and put Jeremy in.”

Clarkson was drafted as a “ballhandling guard” in the words of General Manager Mitch Kupchak. Not necessarily a point guard by definition. But Clarkson has been thrown to the wolves, matching up against some of the league’s best as a starter, including Tony Parker, Kyrie Irving, John Wall and Derrick Rose.

On Wednesday he will face Portland All-Star Damian Lillard.

“You’ve got to come every night to play, especially in my position,” Clarkson said. “This is a guard heavy league so I’ve got to wake up every day with my hard hat on.”
http://www.ocregister.com/lakers/heels-650876-nash-star.html