PDA

View Full Version : George Karl likely to become Kings coach, 4 year deal around 5 mil per

spreadeagle
02-09-2015, 07:50 PM
I think him and Cousins will work well..at least initially lol
The Sacramento Kings and George Karl are progressing on a four-year contract worth between $4 million to $5 million a season to become head coach of the Sacramento Kings, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Tyrone Corbin will coach the final two Kings' games before the All-Star break Tuesday at Chicago and Wednesday at Milwaukee, and barring an unforeseen snag Karl will take over as head coach afterward, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Karl's deal would include a team option on the final year of the contract in the 2017-18 season, sources said. There are still details in the contract that need to be ironed out before it can be finalized, league sources said.

Kings general manager Pete D'Allessandro and Karl, who have history together in Denver, spoke at length several times in the past few days to solidify a deal, sources said.

Karl, 63, has won 1,131 regular-season games as an NBA coach, including stops with Cleveland, Golden State, Seattle, Milwaukee and Denver.

After owner Vivek Ranadive insisted on the firing of Michael Malone against the wishes of his front office, sources said the Kings struggled under Corbin and turned toward Karl in the past few days.

The agents for DeMarcus Cousins Dan Fegan and Jarinn Akana have no issues with Karl taking over as head coach and only wanted clarification on the franchise's repeated changing of direction in its coaching search plans this season, sources said http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--kings-nearing-deal-to-hire-george-karl-as-coach-223216627.html

JEDean89
02-09-2015, 08:09 PM
He and Pete Dallesandro worked together in Denver, so that should be a plus. I think GK is a good coach, not great but good, certainly better than anyone Sac has had in a while. That said, this roster isn't a championship roster, a top pick won't change that. They need a real starting PG, for McLemore to develop and to get a defensive minded PF. Too many holes in that starting 5 for a playoff team. I personally would be suprised if he can form these guys into a playoff team in 4 years, the west is just too competitive and the Kings have 0 depth outside of Cousins, Gay and Collison. Also, George Karl's name is spelled George Karl, not Carl.

Deception
02-09-2015, 10:35 PM
He and Pete Dallesandro worked together in Denver, so that should be a plus. I think GK is a good coach, not great but good, certainly better than anyone Sac has had in a while. That said, this roster isn't a championship roster, a top pick won't change that. They need a real starting PG, for McLemore to develop and to get a defensive minded PF. Too many holes in that starting 5 for a playoff team. I personally would be suprised if he can form these guys into a playoff team in 4 years, the west is just too competitive and the Kings have 0 depth outside of Cousins, Gay and Collison. Also, George Karl's name is spelled George Karl, not Carl.

Malone was a good coach for them, he had them off to a good start then Cousins went down with an injury and management got impatient. He had Gay playing really well as well, not sure how he's going to do under Karl now.

FlashBolt
02-09-2015, 10:45 PM
As Mark Cuban said, the toughest position to replace is the head coach position.

PurpleLynch
02-10-2015, 08:30 AM
He's a good coach,surely not a great one. Kings needs anyway a better roster to compete in the West,this hiring won't change things a lot.

JasonJohnHorn
02-10-2015, 09:22 AM
He's a good coach,surely not a great one. Kings needs anyway a better roster to compete in the West,this hiring won't change things a lot.

Karl is a great coach. You don't get 1131 career wins and take three different teams to the conference finals and not know what you are doing.

But that said, he has limitations. And I don't think he is a good fit for Sac-town, and especially for DMC given that he's never had a low-post scoring averaging over 20 a game. I think a great coach could make a huge difference with this roster, because I think they have the talent to be over .500, but I'm not sure that Karl is that man. I mean, Gay is just Melo light, and he couldn't get it done with Melo, and DMC doesn't have the kind of D that Karl got from his past big men in Denver. And he's never run an offense where the primary ball handler is a center. It sounds like trouble to me...

D-Leethal
02-10-2015, 10:46 AM
I don't see this working out too well. Malone was Cousins' guy - they had a good rapport, and thats very fragile with a headcase like Cousins. Now you're going to get a guy like Karl who is gonna be all over Cousins' *** trying to get him to change his game. I don't think that sits well with Cousins as your franchise guy. Its basically telling him "we don't care what you want" coming from the FO.

Cousins will be the next superstar who gets traded. Book it.

JEDean89
02-10-2015, 10:31 PM
^^^ It's kind of getting set up for that, I'm thinking he and Paul George will be the next to go. I see Durant and Westbrook staying with the Thunder. They will both sign a gazzillion dollar contract (like 35 mil a year +) because there is no one they can play better with than each other. They are hitting their prime, with a nice young team and OKC will get them a better coach (Tom Thibs?) to mix things up a little.

KingPosey
02-10-2015, 10:55 PM
Now the kings are jus an ENTIRE bench away from being a good team.

I read a piece a couple weeks ago that had the kings as a top four starting 5 when taking into account several stats on both sides of the ball.

They get almost zero production from their bench.