PDA

View Full Version : Maravich: 'Russell greatest'

Sanjay
02-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Incorrect name. Moderators please delete.

KnicksorBust
02-09-2015, 07:25 PM
Just remembered this, on a New Orleans Pelicans telecast last week Pete Maravich was interviewed and he said Bill Russell is the best player ever and if he could choose one player to build a franchise around it would be Bill. Thoughts?

He wasnt anywhere close to being the first or and wont be anywhere close to being the last player to make a biased and opinionated declaration exaggerating the skills of a player.

Its damn near a weekly occurence at this point in the instant twitter world we live in.

mngopher35
02-09-2015, 07:28 PM
Haha agree with the above a bit. I don't really take a random players opinion on a topic especially without knowing their reasoning. I think Jordan is an obvious on players I'd rank higher and there are definitely more. To each his own I guess.

FlashBolt
02-09-2015, 07:33 PM
He's just nostalgic and if you've ever been around an old person, they truly think the best of the best is their era. I mean, Erving didn't even have Jordan in his top 5 right? There's no way you can justify that. Just them being old and wanting to relive the past.

The Bandit
02-09-2015, 07:41 PM
How do you interview a dead guy? Anyways, he never got to watch Jordan winning fwiw.

flea
02-09-2015, 07:41 PM
He's been dead since '88, brosephinas.

andy2518
02-09-2015, 07:58 PM
Russell is the greatest winner of all-time that's for sure. Greatest ever, now that's pretty hard for me to swallow especially when making a case over MJ. (Jordan not Magic). After Jordan, it's pretty much debatable. Though there are a few others I would take personally over Bill if I had to start a franchise. Of course I never liked that question because there are too many unknown variables to consider like who the coach would be or what kind of culture the team being created would embody or the culture around the league at the time depending on the era.

JV35
02-09-2015, 08:01 PM
He's been dead since '88, brosephinas.

No kidding. In 1988, Russell as the GOAT was a no-brainer.

JV35
02-09-2015, 08:03 PM
Russell is the greatest winner of all-time that's for sure. Greatest ever, now that's pretty hard for me to swallow especially when making a case over MJ. (Jordan not Magic). After Jordan, it's pretty much debatable. Though there are a few others I would take personally over Bill if I had to start a franchise. Of course I never liked that question because there are too many unknown variables to consider like who the coach would be or what kind of culture the team being created would embody or the culture around the league at the time depending on the era.

Of course, at the time of Maravich's interview (1988 at the latest) Jordan was just getting started.

So, obviously, he wouldn't have been on Pete's radar in the GOAT convo.

YAALREADYKNO
02-09-2015, 08:04 PM
why is Oscar up there?

mngopher35
02-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Of course, at the time of Maravich's interview (1988 at the latest) Jordan was just getting started.

Well that slipped by me. Ya back when the actual interview was I bet it was common for people to say Russell but I still would have wilt/kaj there.

1-800-STFU
02-09-2015, 08:24 PM
Just remembered this, on a New Orleans Pelicans telecast last week Pete Maravich was interviewed and he said Bill Russell is the best player ever and if he could choose one player to build a franchise around it would be Bill. Thoughts?

Sweet now we are interviewing corpses.

Next up we'll get an Oscar Taveras interview on car safety.

CavaliersFTW
02-09-2015, 08:46 PM
James Naismith was interviewed today and he said Wilt Chamberlain is the best he's ever seen so it's def not Russell.

andy2518
02-09-2015, 08:49 PM

Yes, but it being posted now and I am giving my opinion based on 2015 February.

LakersIn5
02-09-2015, 10:25 PM
No kidding. In 1988, Russell as the GOAT was a no-brainer.

Wilt says hi

FlashBolt
02-09-2015, 10:25 PM
Forgot he was dead.. I knew something was off. OP should put that in his post. VERY misleading.

Phantom Dreamer
02-10-2015, 12:38 AM
Is it too much too assume that most people are aware that Pete Maravich is deceased and the Pelicans simply aired an old Maravich interview? What is to be confused about?

JV35
02-10-2015, 12:42 AM
Wilt says hi

Yeah. I hear you.

But, back in '88 I still think that most people had Bill over Wilt just b/c of the 11 titles.

asandhu23
02-10-2015, 05:50 AM
Yeah. I hear you.

But, back in '88 I still think that most people had Bill over Wilt just b/c of the 11 titles.

Most people are stupid. it's a team sport. Russell had significantly better teams. It's funny because recently, Boston fans have been using "Tom Brady never had players the way Montana did" in the "Montana vs Brady" arguments... something they conveniently forget when it comes Wilt vs Russell arguments.

Sanjay
02-10-2015, 05:55 PM
Sorry, I forgot the name of the person who was actually interviewed, but I remember them saying he was a New Orleans 'great' so I looked this up and thought it was Maravich (obviously did not look if he was still alive and my NBA history is not that great). Moderators please delete.

bagwell368
02-15-2015, 05:45 PM
I grew up 11 miles from the Boston Garden. I watched Bill from '65 onward, and played for coaches that worshipped Bill (as a Center).

He's not the best ever. He might fit into the 15-20 range. He had the best Coach, the best team, small league, was at best an average offensive player (very nice passer, poor FT%, meh FG%). Couldn't dominate even with the small paint before Wilt. Tough competitor, didn't beat himself, but, on about 1/2 of the teams of that era, he never would have won a single title. Nope.

bagwell368
02-15-2015, 05:49 PM
Most people are stupid. it's a team sport. Russell had significantly better teams. It's funny because recently, Boston fans have been using "Tom Brady never had players the way Montana did" in the "Montana vs Brady" arguments... something they conveniently forget when it comes Wilt vs Russell arguments.

Montana had less disturbance of his roster than Brady, and SF loading good players on the IR didn't hurt either.

Montana also played under better weather conditions, and played in the dominant conference, so the teams he played in the SB were weaker than the NFC playoffs (look at the outcomes).

Back to basketball....

BHF
02-16-2015, 04:51 AM
I voted for the wrong person :facepalm:

Sssmush
02-16-2015, 06:37 AM
Incorrect name. Moderators please delete.

wait, I thought Marinovich was the greatest. Russell Westbrook is pretty good too though so your thread is not totally incorrect.

valade16
02-16-2015, 09:14 PM
He's just nostalgic and if you've ever been around an old person, they truly think the best of the best is their era. I mean, Erving didn't even have Jordan in his top 5 right? There's no way you can justify that. Just them being old and wanting to relive the past.

To be fair to Irving he's always said his Top 5 are just that... His top 5 from what he saw as a kid growing up. He doesn't claim to make a Top 5 best ever list but more of a "these are the top 5 I ever saw play growing up" list.

PHIN33
02-16-2015, 11:19 PM
...on a side note...Pistol Pete was ahead of his time....the original white chocolate...the man could play...I'll admit I'm bias but in my opinion MJ was / is the best player I've ever seen...9 trips to the finals...Jordan is right there too...you could play Magic positions 1 thru 5 if need be...while making the players around him better...I don't think you can say the same for Jordan...but I have no problem with Mike being the GOAT

nastynice
02-16-2015, 11:55 PM
...on a side note...Pistol Pete was ahead of his time....the original white chocolate...the man could play...I'll admit I'm bias but in my opinion MJ was / is the best player I've ever seen...9 trips to the finals...Jordan is right there too...you could play Magic positions 1 thru 5 if need be...while making the players around him better...I don't think you can say the same for Jordan...but I have no problem with Mike being the GOAT

wtf, u could play magic at center??

PHIN33
02-17-2015, 12:04 AM

...and in a playoff game at that...if need be...fact!

PowerHouse
02-17-2015, 12:39 AM
Wilt says hi

Yeah. I hear you.

Kareem says Whats crackin'!

PowerHouse
02-17-2015, 12:58 AM

...and in a playoff game at that...if need be...fact!

In a decisive Finals game on the road at that. And he didnt just "get by" as a C, but he dominated.