PDA

View Full Version : Will Chris Paul ever win a Championship?

JustinTime
02-09-2015, 05:18 PM
He's been considered to be the best PG in the NBA for years and yet he has never lead his team past the 2nd round despite having some very good players around him. He was also responsible for losing game 5 last year vs OKC which ended up costing the Clippers the series. What is his problem?

Goose17
02-09-2015, 05:24 PM
He's in a very tough conference and the team has had issues. Bad coaching, bad bench, Blake was a weak defender and relied heavily on his athleticism early on in his career, now that he's improved his game in every way (although he still has a lot to work on) the rest of the supporting unit is still a work in progress. Redick, Crawford, Jordan. Outside of that they're struggling.

I think he's running the risk of becoming one of those players who retire without a ring... BUT with Blake improving so much every year who knows. They really need to get Doc out of the GMs office and have him focus on the coaching, get a GM with some decent connections who can bring in a few missing pieces.

There's something else wrong in L.A imo, they have the talent to be better than their record suggests. I think there's some chemistry issues behind the scenes.

They need to get DJ onto an extension and then spend their free agency bringing in some better bench pieces.

Supreme LA
He's been considered to be the best PG in the NBA for years and yet he has never lead his team past the 2nd round despite having some very good players around him. He was also responsible for losing game 5 last year vs OKC which ended up costing the Clippers the series. What is his problem?

I personally don't think so. I've always said that as great as a PG that he is, he is just too small to have enough of an impact on the game in the playoffs to advance all the way to and win the finals. I understand some will say that it's a team game but I think one has to take into consideration the amount of time he dominates the ball for his teams. I really don't see it happening.

LAKERS4LIFE!!
As long as he is on the Clippers, no.

Lakers + Giants
02-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Simple honest answer: No

Goose17
02-09-2015, 05:31 PM
I still say they should have made a push for Deng in the offseason. Better than any SF they have and helps their defense.

CP3 - Redick - Deng - Griffin - Jordan

That's a solid starting 5.

Brock17
02-09-2015, 05:31 PM
They need to add a superstar SF or SG. If they can't do that then paul won't win a ring.

RaiderKid318
02-09-2015, 05:36 PM
Nope shoulda came back to Nola he would have won..... Hahahahha I wish

JustinTime
02-09-2015, 05:40 PM
Nope shoulda came back to Nola he would have won..... Hahahahha I wish

NO has 6 less wins than the Clipper and the next superstar in the NBA. I don't know what's left on Paul's contract but I could see him going back there at some point.

Howard_Zinn
02-09-2015, 05:40 PM
Yes.. at age 37 as a backup on a contender..

Chronz
02-09-2015, 05:45 PM
He's been considered to be the best PG in the NBA for years and yet he has never lead his team past the 2nd round despite having some very good players around him.
The other team had more "better players".

He was also responsible for losing game 5 last year vs OKC which ended up costing the Clippers the series. What is his problem?
Its the only game I can recall him breaking down but hes been unbelievable clutch throughout his career, and sorry but nobody is dumb enough to think 1 moment of a single game is what determines an entire series.

valade16
02-09-2015, 05:47 PM
The safe bet is on no simply because there are too many teams in the West better or as good as the Clippers.

Tony_Starks
02-09-2015, 05:47 PM
He sure will. Not in a Clipper uni tho....

jerellh528
02-09-2015, 05:58 PM
I can't see a scenario where he wins before Durant & westy, or gs. Not to mention the cavs should be players for a while also. This somewhat pleases me because the clippers seemingly hit their peak under the Paul regime the last couple seasons and are in somewhat of a slight regression as a team(imo). The feeling in SoCal is the clipper band wagon when Paul came has subsided and we are ready for the lakers to take their rightful place atop the la basketball market, however long that may be. I'm just glad he hasn't brought a championship to the clips and it doesn't look like he will unless some unforeseen thing happens.

Chronz
02-09-2015, 06:07 PM
The safe bet is on no simply because there are too many teams in the West better or as good as the Clippers.
I think the fact that clips have the 2nd best efficiency differential in the west despite having so many GLARING holes is a great sign, at least on terms of potential moving forward. If we still had your teams gm, wed be better by default. Sadly cp3 held the team hostage. Really tho, how many teams rely on as many 12th men as we do?
How many gms over pay to trade for their son. The Iack of depth and talent is so damn apparent i question the intelligence of anyone who doesn't recognize it. Like so many were saying they were this deep team like its year 1 with chris

valade16
02-09-2015, 06:10 PM
I think the fact that clips have the 2nd best efficiency differential in the west despite having so many GLARING holes is a great sign, at least on terms of potential moving forward. If we still had your teams gm, wed be better by default. Sadly cp3 held the team hostage. Really tho, how many teams rely on as many 12th men as we do? How many gms over pay to trade for their son. The Iack of depth and talent is so damn apparent i question the intelligence of anyone who doesn't recognize it. Like so many were saying they were this deep team like its year 1 with chris

Olshey has been a godsend for the Blazers. Hard to imagine 2 years ago the Blazers were on the precipice of disaster and seeing LMA leave after Roy and Oden's retirements. Olshey completely transformed the franchise on the fly in 2 offseasons. Pretty remarkable.

Bruno
02-09-2015, 06:13 PM
doubt it.

with all due respect to chris paul and the point guard position, dudes who can't poster seven footers don't win championships as their teams best player. I think Steph breaks this mold before CP3 does, because of the Warriors situation. its more promising.

FlashBolt
02-09-2015, 06:36 PM
Let's be honest; Blake Griffin isn't a type of player who can realistically dominate and his team is filled with entertainment value but no one worth mentioning when it comes to the playoffs. Paul is the only truly great player on that team. Jamal Crawford is nothing but a regular season show and so is DeAndre. The team was just built wrong. CP3+Melo would have been devastating. I would make that trade tbh. When I look at CP3, I see a PG who is statistically up there with the best but never having enough to overcome the situation. Pass-first PG's really need a team to strive and I don't think his situation with LAC is that team. CP3 can't be relied on to drop 40 points a game if needed and there is no one else who can. There's only so much he can really do in this game.

Redrum187
02-09-2015, 06:37 PM
I doubt Chris Paul wins a ring playing with the Clippers. Having said that, he is arguably the best PG in the game today (he and Curry).

To suggest Chris Paul is the reason they haven't won any championships or gone further in the playoffs would be quite unfair. His numbers in the playoffs are pretty amazing and he is a two-way player. I don't think it's entirely his fault that his teammates haven't fully produced... especially when he does make everyone around him better.

Redrum187
02-09-2015, 06:38 PM
Let's be honest; Blake Griffin isn't a type of player who can realistically dominate and his team is filled with entertainment value but no one worth mentioning when it comes to the playoffs. Paul is the only truly great player on that team. Jamal Crawford is nothing but a regular season show and so is DeAndre. The team was just built wrong. CP3+Melo would have been devastating. I would make that trade tbh.

I agree. Blake Griffin is a really good player, but I'd never want to build a team around him. He is a great but flawed player...

FlashBolt
02-09-2015, 06:49 PM
I think the issue with Blake is that he can be really good at all aspects of the game but he isn't needed to do so. Against top PF's, he hasn't really been "dominant". I don't think he'll outplay Zach/Aldridge/Nowitzki when the time calls for it. Don't get me wrong; he's a great player in the REGULAR SEASON. But, he hasn't shown anything in the Playoffs. That is when he consistently gets exposed. Considering he's their second option, what happens when Blake is having an off game? CP3 is gonna have to carry it and there's honestly not much he can do with his small physique. For example, he can dunk and pass the ball well, but he can't do one specific thing really great.

archdevil84
02-09-2015, 06:51 PM
Let's be honest; Blake Griffin isn't a type of player who can realistically dominate and his team is filled with entertainment value but no one worth mentioning when it comes to the playoffs. Paul is the only truly great player on that team. Jamal Crawford is nothing but a regular season show and so is DeAndre. The team was just built wrong. CP3+Melo would have been devastating. I would make that trade tbh. When I look at CP3, I see a PG who is statistically up there with the best but never having enough to overcome the situation. Pass-first PG's really need a team to strive and I don't think his situation with LAC is that team. CP3 can't be relied on to drop 40 points a game if needed and there is no one else who can. There's only so much he can really do in this game.

i agree with this. An example of a pass first point guard that worked wel was rondo with the celtics. imagine CP3 on that team. would have been unstoppable

mngopher35
02-09-2015, 06:53 PM
I don't think he will. Clippers are a pretty good team but the west is really stacked and they aren't strong in the wings/depth department.

JustinTime
02-09-2015, 06:58 PM
I doubt Chris Paul wins a ring playing with the Clippers. Having said that, he is arguably the best PG in the game today (he and Curry).

To suggest Chris Paul is the reason they haven't won any championships or gone further in the playoffs would be quite unfair. His numbers in the playoffs are pretty amazing and he is a two-way player. I don't think it's entirely his fault that his teammates haven't fully produced... especially when he does make everyone around him better.

So maybe the question should be not whether Chris Paul can ever win a title but whether a PG can win a championship in today's NBA as the #1 option.

Redrum187
02-09-2015, 07:00 PM
So maybe the question should be not whether Chris Paul can ever win a title but whether a PG can win a championship in today's NBA as the #1 option.

If that is the question, absolutely. Look at Stephen Curry, Jeff Teague, and most importantly, Tony Parker. It takes a supporting cast to win as the number 1 option at any position.

FlashBolt
02-09-2015, 07:05 PM

Historically, PG's aren't really a dominating position though. When you look at the best players on championship teams, you look at: SG, PF, SF, and C. PG's just don't impact the game as much because essentially, a SG/SF these days can do what a PG can do. And if you're a PG playing with a dominant SG/SF, chances are, your position is going to be even more irrelevant. How many PG's the size of CP3 have truly won? You can say Thomas but they played dirty. Oscar Robertson was huge. Magic is out of question. So yeah, they can win as a #1 option but it highly depends on your team and also, CP is just REALLY small. I don't think any relevant PG his size has won. NBA has become rather position-less and that just means everyone can do multiple things so the conventional positions are really useless.

Giannis94
02-09-2015, 07:12 PM
Short answer to your question:
If he was traded to the Bucks- yes.

KnicksorBust
02-09-2015, 07:23 PM
A decade ago during Chris Paul's rookie season I predicted no and I am sticking by it. #throwbackmonday #m3ob

Lmao

Bostonjorge
02-10-2015, 03:48 AM
If he can somehow team up with Anthony Davis then yes I can see him winning a championship.

PowerHouse
02-10-2015, 04:15 AM
Because he's always been in the West. We may be having this exact same thread about Stephen Curry in 3 years (with the same exact explanation).

Next topic.

JJ_JKidd
02-10-2015, 05:00 AM
This season I guess. Clippers are expert picks to win it all......

Sadds The Gr8
02-10-2015, 05:23 AM
not unless 2008 chris paul magically appears...

GoferKing_
02-10-2015, 07:46 AM
They need to add a superstar SF or SG. If they can't do that then paul won't win a ring.

Maybe they need at least 3 more superstars?

PurpleLynch
02-10-2015, 08:29 AM
I doubt it. He played for his entire career in a goddamned though conference. I can see him winning a chip with a team not named Clippers,maybe in the EC. Unless he joins the Spurs with at least another superstar and Pop still as HC.

JasonJohnHorn
02-10-2015, 09:38 AM
It's hard to say if he'll win one. I mean, LBJ may never win another one, and KD may never win one. Some of the best don't. Stockton. Malone. Barkely. Ewing.

But I would guess that yes, he will win one. People are down on the Clippers this year, but if they get the cog flowing when BG comes back and head into the playoffs with the best record in the last month, it will be hard to stop them if healthy. If the Clippers were hoisting up the O'Brian trophy at the end of this season, I wouldn't be surprised.

GSW and Memphis are the favorites at this point, but neither has any championship experience on their team. Kerr has been there as a player, and I expect he'll do well as a coach in the post season, but when you are going up against guys like Pop and Doc in the playoffs, and they have veteran rosters, it is hard to win, even if you have a better record.

The Clippers are better than their record suggests. That is for sure. I wouldn't count them out this year. As for who will be on their team next season, it's hard to tell, but the ownership seems committed to bringing talent and an doesn't seem to mind spending money. So... yes, I think CP3 will win one sooner or later.

mightybosstone
02-10-2015, 10:03 AM
On this Clippers team, I think the safe answer is to say "no." It's not that the Clippers don't have a good shot to win a title. They have as good a shot to win a title as any team in the West over the next 2-4 years. But there are just so many good teams in the West, and if I have to take the Clippers or the field to win a title in any given year, I'm taking the field.

I'd like to see Paul further cement his legacy as one of the five greatest point guards of all-time with a championship. But I just don't see it happening unless it's on another roster or the Clippers front office makes a deal that puts them over the edge in the West.

D-Leethal
02-10-2015, 10:39 AM
I guess Win Shares don't win you games in the playoffs?

KingstonHawke
02-10-2015, 10:46 AM
He already has at least one if you ask me. Crispy/Kobe/D12 you put a couple veterans around that threesome and they would've beat the Heat at least once.

koreancabbage
02-10-2015, 10:46 AM
lol there's a always a chance.

Chronz
02-10-2015, 01:43 PM
You guys really need to stop focusing on CP3 carrying the load when its DEFENSE that has held his team back. Unless thats exactly what you guys mean. CP3 is elite on that end but hes not gonna anchor his teams defense.

Chronz
02-10-2015, 01:44 PM
I guess Win Shares don't win you games in the playoffs?

They do, the problem is, loss shares lose you games as well. :p

Vinylman
02-10-2015, 02:16 PM
as many have said the West is stacked so the odds are pretty low

As for the Clippers, as long as Doc is the GM they will never make the right personnel moves to put them in a position to significantly improve. In addition, the Clippers always seem to have injury problems at critical times. They remind me of a lot of good 90s teams that will never get over the hump...

on a side note I am sure CP3 will end up ring chasing at some point and should have a good shot of winning one that way.

LA_Raiders
02-10-2015, 02:18 PM
No, and he should thank stern for that.

Redrum187
02-10-2015, 02:24 PM
You guys really need to stop focusing on CP3 carrying the load when its DEFENSE that has held his team back. Unless thats exactly what you guys mean. CP3 is elite on that end but hes not gonna anchor his teams defense.

I agree 100%. Chris Paul is not the problem, their defense (or lack thereof) is the problem.

JustinTime
02-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Maybe they need at least 3 more superstars?

Clippers are stacked maybe Paul just isn't that good.

JustinTime
02-10-2015, 09:43 PM

Clippers have several athletic freaks and Doc Rivers coaching them how can they not manage to play defense?

Crackadalic
02-10-2015, 09:59 PM
As soon as Doc stops playing GM then yes

Tony_Starks
02-10-2015, 10:20 PM
CP3 strikes me as one of those guys that will join a contender after everyone says he's finished, be the final piece to the puzzle, and get his ring.

By the way the Clippers will never win a championship. If they were to ever even get close Armageddon would begin and worldwide destruction would ensue....

JV35
02-10-2015, 10:22 PM
It's impossible to say. He could do it with the Clips, another team, or not at all.
Not even worth speculating really. The NBA is too volatile. A lot of great players never got rings. Baylor, Barkley, Malone, etc

FlashBolt
02-10-2015, 10:36 PM
Clippers have several athletic freaks and Doc Rivers coaching them how can they not manage to play defense?

I'm going to assume you aren't serious. How does that even correlate?

Chronz
02-10-2015, 10:46 PM

I elaborated on why in the thread discussing their defense, to put it simply, they are undersized at every position except Center, and only CP3 is really elite for his position. DJ has to carry an incredible load on the boards and in terms of help defense so I can see why his numbers aren't as impressive as some other anchors but when you're playing the likes of Hedo Turkoglu as a SF in 2015, you're not really athletically gifted overall.

I do think they have potential to improve, at least within the starting lineup but those guys cant play all 48 minutes.

Chronz
02-10-2015, 10:48 PM
Clippers are stacked maybe Paul just isn't that good.

Maybe they are facing teams that are more "stacked".

Sandman
02-10-2015, 10:51 PM
If CP3 joined up with CB4 and Wade County they'd have 4 titles

Dade County
02-10-2015, 11:05 PM
Stern & owners changed NBA history.... So no.

BUt he might win 1 as the 3rd or 4th option in his later years.

Sandman
02-11-2015, 02:13 PM

they are very close IMO. They need a little more firepower and it could come from a new SF or SG, but I like Barnes, JJ and Crawford.

Seizabmc
02-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Not unless he teams up with melo.

But he will never win as long as Blake is on his team.

Miltstar
02-11-2015, 09:44 PM
Stern & owners changed NBA history.... So no.

BUt he might win 1 as the 3rd or 4th option in his later years.

you think he woulda got one with the Lakers?