PDA

View Full Version : Ray Allen ready to make decision

KnicksorBust
02-09-2015, 01:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12300217/veteran-ray-allen-make-decision-nba-future-all-star-weekend

"After months of considering his options, veteran Ray Allen plans to decide his NBA future after All-Star Weekend, sources told ESPN.com.

Allen, 39, still has not decided whether he wants to return for a 19th season but has been keeping in shape and doing on-court work to keep his options open. Additionally, Allen has been in contact with teams to explore his possibilities and may take meetings during the upcoming All-Star break.

Numerous teams have been staying in touch with Allen in hopes of signing him, including the Washington Wizards, Cleveland Cavaliers, Golden State Warriors, San Antonio Spurs, Miami Heat, Los Angeles Clippers and, recently, the Atlanta Hawks.

Allen's potential role with a team is expected to be a deciding factor. He shot 39 percent from 3-point range and averaged 9.3 points while playing 26.4 minutes a game in 20 playoff games last season for the Heat after shooting 38 percent from 3 during the regular season.

The Cavs have left a roster spot open for the past month, ostensibly saving it for Allen. They have been confident they will be his choice if he returns because of his close relationships with former Heat teammates LeBron James, Mike Miller and James Jones, who are now with the Cavs.

James met with Allen last month during a trip to Miami, and all three players regularly keep in touch with him. They have been recruiting him, off and on, since July.

The Hawks, however, have become more of a contender as they have developed into the Eastern Conference leader. Unlike the Cavs -- who play a tight eight-man rotation that excludes veterans like Miller, Jones and Shawn Marion -- the Hawks have a need for an additional wing player, as Thabo Sefolosha is out up to two months with a calf injury.

Atlanta is a high-volume 3-point-shooting team that plays more to Allen's style. Atlanta is also closer to his family in Miami.

Allen will have no shortage of interested teams if he announces he's coming back. The Wizards and Heat both also have needs at the position, and the Warriors felt they were close to signing Allen earlier this season."

Tony_Starks
02-09-2015, 01:44 PM
Damn if he went to the Hawks? Whoa!

kdspurman
02-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Spurs did cut Daye so they have that roster spot... But I don't see him going there.

KnicksorBust
02-09-2015, 01:49 PM
Spurs did cut Daye so they have that roster spot... But I don't see him going there.

I'm trying to figure out where he would get the most minutes. It seems like he still wants that sweet spot of about 25mpg.

Goose17
02-09-2015, 01:49 PM
Hawks, Warriors, Cavs or retirement. I don't see him choosing anything else.

ClutchTime
02-09-2015, 01:51 PM
I'd like to see him sign with a Playoff team and contend for another title. I like the Hawks as one of the teams.

SilverFalco8
02-09-2015, 01:55 PM
I'd like to see him sign with a Playoff team and contend for another title. I like the Hawks as one of the teams.

The Hawks would probably be the best choice.

D-Leethal
02-09-2015, 02:01 PM
Really rubs me the wrong way that this guy will skip past the work that gets put in all year, training camp, preseason, the marathon of the regular season, sit on his couch and wait for the dust to settle so he can pinpoint the easiest and most convenient route to a title, playing in nothing but the home run stretch + playoffs.

Those few years with LeBron must have rubbed off on him...

kdspurman
02-09-2015, 02:02 PM
I'm trying to figure out where he would get the most minutes. It seems like he still wants that sweet spot of about 25mpg.

Yea, I mean he's looking at contenders. Those teams seem to have set rotations. Maybe the Clippers since Reddick has been hurt but idk. It's hard to see where he could have that much time

IDunknown
02-09-2015, 04:15 PM
I think he was waiting to join the Cavs,but since JR is playing well they don't need him.

D-Leethal
02-09-2015, 04:21 PM
Watching him and Korver on the court at the same time wreaking havoc off the ball would be fun to watch.

j-bay
02-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Wizards have probably made the most aggressive push (Relax not saying they are the favorites).

beasted86
02-09-2015, 04:28 PM
Really rubs me the wrong way that this guy will skip past the work that gets put in all year, training camp, preseason, the marathon of the regular season, sit on his couch and wait for the dust to settle so he can pinpoint the easiest and most convenient route to a title, playing in nothing but the home run stretch + playoffs.

At 39 he probably won't make it through the full year without injury... even still he might not.

Him taking time was probably his best chance at being healthy, and then still, I don't expect him to drop right into a contender and get 20+ minutes. I think he understands that risk also. In the end he might not really play when it matters... (see Cassell in Boston).

ChI_ShIzzLe
02-09-2015, 04:32 PM

When you're 39 yrs old, still in great shape and the best 3pt shooter to step on a basketball court, you can afford to do that because you'll have a laundry list of contenders calling you.

Tony_Starks
02-09-2015, 04:38 PM
Wizards have probably made the most aggressive push (Relax not saying they are the favorites).

Wizards would be a good fit. Him, Paul, and Andre Miller come playoff time? As reliable as it gets....

archdevil84
02-09-2015, 05:14 PM
miami could actually realy use him now. would be awesome if he returned but dont think he wil

Lakers + Giants
02-09-2015, 05:18 PM
miami could actually realy use him now. would be awesome if he returned but dont think he wil

He wants to win a ring..

Chronz
02-09-2015, 05:23 PM

He actually saw it first hand when PJ Brown joined the Celtics for the min and helped him win a title.

We all have a sense of self worth, if you're going to accept a min deal, why put your body through so much when it makes more sense to show up for the 2nd half of the year?

Besides, how do you know hes just sat on his couch. I really dont see how this is any different than resting old knees. How do you pinpoint the easiest route anyways? Maybe he knows the truth, there is no easy way to a chip.

Brock17
02-09-2015, 05:24 PM
Lol I'm mad ray Allen acting like he's having such a hard time on coming back. Dude just wanted too skip most the season and travel.

krazylegz
02-09-2015, 05:25 PM
dont see him coming to the cavs as of now

Brock17
02-09-2015, 05:26 PM

There's no way he returns to a team whose garbage and getting eliminated in the 1st round.

FlashBolt
02-09-2015, 06:51 PM
C'mon, he's obviously going to Cleveland. He's great friends with LeBron and the major concern is he wants to play for a title contender. Well, Cleveland has looked amazing thus far and it's no surprise that they could use him. The only issue is that he'll take minutes away from J.R. and Shump. Those two have been incredibly impactful for Cleveland.

Avenged
02-09-2015, 07:13 PM
Hawks or Warriors to add more snipers. Damn. Either of those would be fun

KnicksorBust
02-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Hawks or Warriors to add more snipers. Damn. Either of those would be fun

With Klay-Iggy-Barnes and even some Dray do they have minutes for him?

I could see him taking minutes from JR and Shump and in the playoffs they will need him to do just that.

FlashBolt
02-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Should we even ask if Allen is NBA conditioned? This guy lives in the gym.

MelanconMadness
02-09-2015, 07:26 PM
The knicks

prodigy
02-09-2015, 07:27 PM

The Hawks would probably be the best choice.

Unless the hawks trade for lebron no. This is a prove it to me league. Allen knows cavs have players that been there and done that. Hawks have played well, but they need to prove themselves first.

prodigy
02-09-2015, 07:33 PM
I think he was waiting to join the Cavs,but since JR is playing well they don't need him.

What? Lol. Cavs need to improve the bench which Allen would. Jr smith has played well but we all know he is very inconsistent. Besides I do know they are always trying to cut lebrons minutes. Jr can play the 3

j-bay
02-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Ray could benefit Beal.

kobe4thewinbang
02-10-2015, 01:48 AM
Imagine having Curry, Ray and Klay on the floor at the same time. LOL. Or him and Korver.

JLeBeau76
02-10-2015, 02:34 AM
C'mon, he's obviously going to Cleveland. He's great friends with LeBron and the major concern is he wants to play for a title contender. Well, Cleveland has looked amazing thus far and it's no surprise that they could use him. The only issue is that he'll take minutes away from J.R. and Shump. Those two have been incredibly impactful for Cleveland.

could take Dellys minutes. James, Irving and Shump could handle the point. Might have to shave a couple of minutes off of Smith and shump but you don't want either above 28 much at this point anyway.

Opening up the rotation to a tight nine would be better anyway. Don't want to wear anyone out before the playoffs.

IKnowHoops
02-10-2015, 05:11 AM
I love Ray, but at his current age, and the fact that Shump and J.R. are both playing well, I really don't see the benefit of having him. I think adding a guy like Miles Plumlee would be a much better way to go. Id even think having Amare as an off the bench guy would be better. I think having another solid big, which Plumlee and Amare both are would be more of a benefit to the Cavs than Ray. Id think JR and Shump should keep getting more and more PT so they can be as comfortable as possible when the playoffs come. I won't be mad if they get Ray, but I'd rather see them add a solid athletic big that can jump and can hit the midrange jumper.

PurpleLynch
02-10-2015, 08:33 AM
Hawks could use him well.

JasonJohnHorn
02-10-2015, 09:17 AM
I'd like to see him in SA, but given that Sefolosha just wnet down with injury, the Hawks could really use him at this point.

torocan
02-10-2015, 10:34 AM
Or him and Korver.

I was just thinking that. I have no idea how much better or worse the Hawks would be with Ray Allen on their team, but just the thought of defenders contorting to chase both Ray Allen and Kyle Korver off of the Hawks screening makes me smile. :)

Slug3
02-10-2015, 10:37 AM

I don't really think he has been sitting on his couch this whole time. He has been know to always be in great shape. I am pretty sure he kept himself in great shape as well. He just knows that being 39 his body would breakdown over a long 82 season plus playoff season. If a team is willing to pick him up then so be it.

D-Leethal
02-10-2015, 10:41 AM
I don't really think he has been sitting on his couch this whole time. He has been know to always be in great shape. I am pretty sure he kept himself in great shape as well. He just knows that being 39 his body would breakdown over a long 82 season plus playoff season. If a team is willing to pick him up then so be it.

I didn't mean it literally. I meant watching the NBA season unfold from the comfort of his own home while players get injured, some teams fall out, some teams jump the rankings, and the top contenders are decided. He didn't want to be part of that process - he wanted to choose once it was already decided.

If he can't handle an NBA season he should retire, not wait until the playoffs to cherry pick the easiest championship possible. Thats pathetic - has ANYONE ever done that?

THE MTL
02-10-2015, 12:56 PM
Just waited to hop on a contender. If he made this decision back in November Hawks and Warriors wouldn't be in the discussion. Smh.

Slug3
02-10-2015, 01:32 PM
I didn't mean it literally. I meant watching the NBA season unfold from the comfort of his own home while players get injured, some teams fall out, some teams jump the rankings, and the top contenders are decided. He didn't want to be part of that process - he wanted to choose once it was already decided.

If he can't handle an NBA season he should retire, not wait until the playoffs to cherry pick the easiest championship possible. Thats pathetic - has ANYONE ever done that?

I know some players have kind of been free agents and waited till Feb or later on to make a decision who to play with. Not sure if anyone has ever been healthy and waited till now to do that. But I dont think we have really seen any 39 year olds that teams still wanted to sign.

Big Zo
02-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Reminds me of when Roger Clemens used to do it near the end of his career. Don't have a problem with it. Guy has paid his dues, and is a future HOF.

Vinylman
02-10-2015, 02:37 PM
Who really cares... he showed some age last year and probably isn't a difference maker anymore especially on defense...

As for speculating where he will show up there is no point...

If he comes back it will be in Cleveland

Lebron's need to have his sychophants slurping him is unsurpassed

Kashmir13579
02-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Go to the Spurs

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-10-2015, 04:23 PM
There's no way he returns to a team whose garbage and getting eliminated in the 1st round.
Heat probably wont even be in the playoffs. You got Detroit, Charlotte and Brooklyn fighting for them last two spots. Heck possibly if George is back soon Pacers could chase that 8th seed as well.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
02-10-2015, 07:24 PM
Is he even that much of a difference maker at this point?

flea
02-10-2015, 07:32 PM
Reminds me of when Roger Clemens used to do it near the end of his career. Don't have a problem with it. Guy has paid his dues, and is a future HOF.

Yeah it reminds me of Rocket doing it and I hated him for it, too. I like Allen but this is just dumb - and I'm starting to see where Pierce and KG were coming from when they criticized him for jumping ship when they still felt their window was open.

These guys are just selfish - just because you're a future HOFer doesn't mean you should act like you're better than everyone else in the game. You wouldn't catch KG, Duncan, Maddux, Unit, or Kobe pulling this junk. They like to compete every single night - not just have a vacation in a gym on TV sometime in March to April.

Minimal
02-10-2015, 10:54 PM
delete.