PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Dwight Howard?

JasonJohnHorn
02-09-2015, 09:59 AM
First off, let's not make this a bash thread, and let's keep it strictly about his game.

For the first time in in nine years, Dwight missed the All-Star team. Admittedly he's been struggling with injuries this year, but he's played 32 games.

His points per game average is his lowest in nine years, and his rebounding average is his lowest in 10 years. He's still averaging impressive per36 rebounding numbers, be even his blocks are down?

Where is his career headed? Is this just injury? Or is he losing his touch?

rockets-fan
02-09-2015, 10:51 AM
I mix of both I think. For one he isn't ised as much as he was ever before. Montejunas is a better low post scorer and Harden is obviously the one that takes most of the shots. But he has had those nagging injuries aswell. Again, he's most likely started his decline although I thjnk his decline at full health is still very good defensively and okay offensively. If the Howard that showed up in last years playoffs shows up in this years playoffs, and Harden doesn't choke, Houston will be fine.

CluTcH_c1tY
02-09-2015, 10:54 AM
He's been injured all year. The staff will let him rehab his knee for next 6 weeks. Like the previous poster said if he performs like last year's playoffs the Rox will be fine.

Htownballa1622
02-09-2015, 10:56 AM
I think he's been hurt. He was great last year in playoffs.

If he gets healthy, I'll judge then.

This year he's been bad (for his standards ) but still better than almost all centers.

Pretty much same case with Joakim Noah. Injuries.

valade16
02-09-2015, 11:09 AM
I think he's been injured and had nagging injuries pretty much all season. That being said, if anyone thinks he can returnt to Orland Dwight... that ship has sailed.

D-Leethal
02-09-2015, 11:10 AM
He was never a skilled player, just freakishly dominant physically. After your 10th year in the league, that dominance starts to subside with your physical abilities and if you don't have the fundamental skills to offset it, your game declines fast.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Injuries don't help the matter. But his best Superman days were with Magic.

Tony_Starks
02-09-2015, 12:40 PM
When you have an athletic player that isn't fundamentally sound, and then take the athleticism away, this is what happens.

KnicksorBust
02-09-2015, 01:47 PM
I think it's been a long time since fans have given him credit for the talent and skill he has shown on the basketball court. Over the last 10 years he's been the best defensive player in the world and he can still impact on the court on both ends. Still one of the best rebounders and shot blockers in the game along with a powerful low post big who can draw double teams. If he gets healthy by playoff time then the Rockets could make some noise.

ManningToTyree
02-09-2015, 02:49 PM
He was never a skilled player, just freakishly dominant physically. After your 10th year in the league, that dominance starts to subside with your physical abilities and if you don't have the fundamental skills to offset it, your game declines fast. this

Verbal Christ
02-09-2015, 04:05 PM
when the guy is feeling good he is still a dominating force in the paint. Have people forgotten his playoff perfomance last year?

Problem is he hasnt been feeling good this year, that knee is definately a cause to worry. ROX miss the rim protection thats for sure.

JasonJohnHorn
02-09-2015, 07:45 PM
when the guy is feeling good he is still a dominating force in the paint. Have people forgotten his playoff perfomance last year?

Problem is he hasnt been feeling good this year, that knee is definately a cause to worry. ROX miss the rim protection thats for sure.

You mean the series where LMA lit up the Rockets to the tune of almost 30 points a game and there was no rim protection to stop Lillard from dropping 25 a game? He scored the ball well and rebounded, but LMA scored more... and Dwight isn't getting paid to score 26 a game; he's getting paid to anchor the defense and rebound. Don't get me wrong, he didn't play poorly, but his defense just wasn't getting the job done. Though he was rebounding very well.

Verbal Christ
02-09-2015, 07:55 PM
You mean the series where LMA lit up the Rockets to the tune of almost 30 points a game and there was no rim protection to stop Lillard from dropping 25 a game? He scored the ball well and rebounded, but LMA scored more... and Dwight isn't getting paid to score 26 a game; he's getting paid to anchor the defense and rebound. Don't get me wrong, he didn't play poorly, but his defense just wasn't getting the job done. Though he was rebounding very well.

BUT lets not turn it into a bash thread LOL

You dont happen to know the details apparently, LMA was on fire and torched DMO & TJones no doubt, but it wasnt until Dwight started guarding LMA was he curtailed somewhat.

What does Lillard have to do with anything? For a 'nonbash' thread you the OP are setting it up to be derailed just sayin

nastynice
02-09-2015, 09:01 PM
thoughts in one word. disappointment.

He's always been a defensive beast, and he still actually kind of is. He may not be as big a force as he was before, but he still alters shots down low and makes people think twice of going there. Late last year, and early this year, he started showing a pretty good offensive game, really made me think he was going to be a force to deal with.

However, for whatever reason, he seemed to just kinda trail off, and now you add all these injuries up, things just aren't going his way. Had real high hopes for him after last year, and looked early this year that he was going to come through on those expectations, but things just fell off real fast.

I wouldn't say he's done, he can still come back and still contribute. Who knows, maybe he can be dominant I don't know, but still worst case scenario he can come back and still be the 2nd best player on that team.

smith&wesson
02-09-2015, 09:25 PM
right now he is just injured...he will regain form.

kdspurman
02-09-2015, 09:30 PM

You dont happen to know the details apparently, LMA was on fire and torched DMO & TJones no doubt, but it wasnt until Dwight started guarding LMA was he curtailed somewhat.

What does Lillard have to do with anything? For a 'nonbash' thread you the OP are setting it up to be derailed just sayin

I dont think he bashed him at all. If his info was off, then let him know. But saying he bashed him for questioning what you called a dominating playoff performance doesn't seem right. I know Dwight and the Rockets catch flack, but don't think this was one of those cases

Saddletramp
02-10-2015, 05:52 AM
thoughts in one word. disappointment.

He's always been a defensive beast, and he still actually kind of is. He may not be as big a force as he was before, but he still alters shots down low and makes people think twice of going there. Late last year, and early this year, he started showing a pretty good offensive game, really made me think he was going to be a force to deal with.

However, for whatever reason, he seemed to just kinda trail off, and now you add all these injuries up, things just aren't going his way. Had real high hopes for him after last year, and looked early this year that he was going to come through on those expectations, but things just fell off real fast.

I wouldn't say he's done, he can still come back and still contribute. Who knows, maybe he can be dominant I don't know, but still worst case scenario he can come back and still be the 2nd best player on that team.

Pretty much this.

Dwight and Terry for Bogut and Lee sound nasty or nice?

JasonJohnHorn
02-11-2015, 01:34 AM

When you are the defensive anchor, you take the best offensive play in the post. It's what the great defenders do. Ducnan. Mourning. Hakeem. Mutumbo. When they were playing a team with a great post scorer, that was they guy they covered. It wasn't until the media started calling Dwight out for not picking up LMA that they switched.

As for Lillard.... yes... rim protection is Dwight's job. If the point guard is having his way getting to the basket, my defensive anchor isn't doing his job. Period. Yes, that is not entirely on Dwight, because Lin sucks on D, but Beverly was doing a decent job for spells if I remember right.

As I said, he rebounded well and scored well, so I don't see that as 'bashing', I see that as taking a legitimate issue with his defense, which is fair since he is noted for his defense.

As for his scoring that series, I gave him his kudos, though I'm not sure taking Robin Lopez to the hole is that impressive.

Look... when a guys says two positive things about a player (rebounding and scoring) and offers one criticism (defence), that's not call 'bashing', it's called a balanced evaluation.

nastynice
02-11-2015, 02:03 AM
Pretty much this.

Dwight and Terry for Bogut and Lee sound nasty or nice?

lol

Greg.
02-11-2015, 03:03 AM
Earlier in the year I remember reading he was by far the best rim protector in the league (not blocking shots but fg% near the rim) but I'm not sure what it looks like now or even what exact stat it was. Regardless, he's still easily a top 5 center imo, maybe top 3.

JasonJohnHorn
02-11-2015, 10:04 AM
Earlier in the year I remember reading he was by far the best rim protector in the league (not blocking shots but fg% near the rim) but I'm not sure what it looks like now or even what exact stat it was. Regardless, he's still easily a top 5 center imo, maybe top 3.

I hope he gets back to his Orlando days... I miss watching that guy. I used to drool over him. I wish he was less concerned about scoring and more like Mutumbo. He's still rebounding very well. So that's good. I hate seeing talented players like this get slowed down by injury.

Vee-Rex
02-11-2015, 07:00 PM
Overall his career has been a disappointment IMO. We won't be seeing the Orlando D12 again.