PDA

View Full Version : Are you in favor of a playoff change?

Ironman5219
02-08-2015, 12:11 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/-adam-silver-open-to-playoff-changes-340647.html

So rumor has it that the NBA may change its "east vs west" playoff and go with a playoff of the best 16 teams instead of east vs west. Are you in favor of the change or would you want to keep it as it is?

Lets be honest the East is a joke and always has losing teams making the playoffs only to be swept in the first round making it terrible basketball to watch. The West on the other hand has playoff caliber teams that don't even make it. Add to this that East teams have better records because they play inferior talent, where west teams play harder schedules simply because they are in the west.

That's my two cents, what do you all think?

Tony_Starks
02-08-2015, 12:21 PM
I was against it at first because I'm a old school guy but I think they should. The east is so pathetic that its basically a 3 team race every year. With the tank movement that isn't going to change anytime soon. Meanwhile in the West you have 50 win teams that can't make the playoffs. Just take the teams with the best record and let em play....

dhopisthename
02-08-2015, 12:24 PM
yes and they should balance the schedule more. Today every team has chartered planes so distances aren't as big a deal as they used to be.

2-ONE-5
02-08-2015, 12:27 PM
its stupid. what happens when the balance of powers shifts to the east?

dhopisthename
02-08-2015, 12:33 PM

then more east teams will make the playoffs. the problem is that this isn't even a short time phenomenon. the west has been better for 15+ years.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/11/06/here-we-go-again-east-vs-west/

Goose17
02-08-2015, 12:33 PM
First of all, wasn't there already a thread on this? Secondly, you should have made a poll.

Anyway, I don't see why not, try it for a couple years and if it doesn't work change it back. No big deal.

The way I would do it:

The six division winners are the top 6 seeds and get HCA (based on record).
The rest of the seeding is done based on record, the two teams with the best records out of the remaining 12 teams get HCA.

So if the playoffs started today it would be;

1. Atlanta
2. Golden State
3. Memphis
4. Toronto
5. Portland
6. Chicago
7. Houston
8. Dallas
9. L.A Clippers
10. San Antonio
11. Washington
12. Cleveland
13. Phoenix
14. Milwaukee
15. New Orleans
16. Oklahoma City

First Round;

G1; ATL V OKC
G2; GSW V NOP
G3; MEM V MIL
G4; TOR V PHO
G5; POR V CLE
G6; CHI V D.C
G7; HOU V SAS
G8; DAL V LAC

Round Two/NBA Quarter Finals;

Game 9; Winner of G1 V Winner of G8 (Hypothetically - ATL V DAL)
Game 10; Winner of G2 V Winner of G7 (Hypothetically - GSW V SAS)
Game 11; Winner of G3 V Winner of G6 (Hypothetically - MEM V CHI)
Game 12; Winner of G4 V Winner of G5 (Hypothetically - TOR V POR)

I love these match ups^ they would be a lot of fun to watch. Either team could win in all of those games imo.

NBA Semi Finals;
Game 13; Winner of G9 V Winner of G12 (Hypothetically - ATL V POR)
Game 14; Winner of G10 V Winner of G11 (Hypothetically - GSW V MEM)

NBA Finals;

Winner of Game 13 V Winner of Game 14 (Hypothetically - ATL V GSW).

Moral of the story, the top teams will always prevail, but with the new format it creates new and exciting match ups and some teams will get further than they ever would have before, some won't.

It's worth a shot. And while we're on the subject, the first round should be a 5 game series.

archdevil84
02-08-2015, 12:36 PM
nooooooooo, miami wont be in the playoffs that way

Tony_Starks
02-08-2015, 12:36 PM

It won't any time soon. It hasn't since MJ retired. The only reason teams from the east have recently won chips is because they breeze through the playoffs to face a Western team that has already been beat up by 2, possibly 3 legit contenders.

Hardaway Here
02-08-2015, 01:16 PM
It won't any time soon. It hasn't since MJ retired. The only reason teams from the east have recently won chips is because they breeze through the playoffs to face a Western team that has already been beat up by 2, possibly 3 legit contenders.

I don't agree with that whole "beat up" statement. That's just stupid. The best teams will win period. As the Spurs proved last year beating Miami. That's is just a dumb excuse in my eyes. There is more competition out West but the whole breezing through the playoffs in the East doesn't make sense no matter how many times people say it. The team reaching the Finals doesn't sweep through all their opponents so that's just a joke of a statement. What about the year when the Spurs went 8-0 sweeping through the first two rounds in the West. Does that count as breezing through the playoffs in a much tougher conference. Could the format use a change yes, but at the end of the day the best team will win the ship.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-08-2015, 01:31 PM
no.

no way they should make such a major makeover

2-ONE-5
02-08-2015, 01:32 PM
I don't agree with that whole "beat up" statement. That's just stupid. The best teams will win period. As the Spurs proved last year beating Miami. That's is just a dumb excuse in my eyes. There is more competition out West but the whole breezing through the playoffs in the East doesn't make sense no matter how many times people say it. The team reaching the Finals doesn't sweep through all their opponents so that's just a joke of a statement. What about the year when the Spurs went 8-0 sweeping through the first two rounds in the West. Does that count as breezing through the playoffs in a much tougher conference. Could the format use a change yes, but at the end of the day the best team will win the ship.

yes all of this.

Ironman5219
02-08-2015, 01:35 PM
First of all, wasn't there already a thread on this? Secondly, you should have made a poll.

Anyway, I don't see why not, try it for a couple years and if it doesn't work change it back. No big deal.

The way I would do it:

The six division winners are the top 6 seeds and get HCA (based on record).
The rest of the seeding is done based on record, the two teams with the best records out of the remaining 12 teams get HCA.

So if the playoffs started today it would be;

1. Atlanta
2. Golden State
3. Memphis
4. Toronto
5. Portland
6. Chicago
7. Houston
8. Dallas
9. L.A Clippers
10. San Antonio
11. Washington
12. Cleveland
13. Phoenix
14. Milwaukee
15. New Orleans
16. Oklahoma City

First Round;

G1; ATL V OKC
G2; GSW V NOP
G3; MEM V MIL
G4; TOR V PHO
G5; POR V CLE
G6; CHI V D.C
G7; HOU V SAS
G8; DAL V LAC

Round Two/NBA Quarter Finals;

Game 9; Winner of G1 V Winner of G8 (Hypothetically - ATL V DAL)
Game 10; Winner of G2 V Winner of G7 (Hypothetically - GSW V SAS)
Game 11; Winner of G3 V Winner of G6 (Hypothetically - MEM V CHI)
Game 12; Winner of G4 V Winner of G5 (Hypothetically - TOR V POR)

I love these match ups^ they would be a lot of fun to watch. Either team could win in all of those games imo.

NBA Semi Finals;
Game 13; Winner of G9 V Winner of G12 (Hypothetically - ATL V POR)
Game 14; Winner of G10 V Winner of G11 (Hypothetically - GSW V MEM)

NBA Finals;

Winner of Game 13 V Winner of Game 14 (Hypothetically - ATL V GSW).

Moral of the story, the top teams will always prevail, but with the new format it creates new and exciting match ups and some teams will get further than they ever would have before, some won't.

It's worth a shot. And while we're on the subject, the first round should be a 5 game series. every one of those would be a must watch

Tony_Starks
02-08-2015, 02:22 PM

If you think playing the likes of the Bobcats and Nets are equal to playing teams like Memphis and OKC just to get to the Finals I'm not sure what to tell you. The Spurs pulled it off last year sure because Khawi stepped up in the playoffs/ Finals but the previous year they should've beat Miami too, they got absolutely nothing out of Ginobli in the Finals because he was totally spent just getting there.

The number #1 team in the east pretty much gets a bye to the ECF man, its been that way for years just pencil in Miami and Boston then Miami and Indy. All the rest of the teams where a very distant second tier, I'm surprised as a basketball fan you haven't noticed that...

Young2Kinsler
02-08-2015, 02:38 PM

It won't matter...because no matter where the teams play, the best ones will be in the playoffs at all times.

Hardaway Here
02-08-2015, 03:39 PM
If you think playing the likes of the Bobcats and Nets are equal to playing teams like Memphis and OKC just to get to the Finals I'm not sure what to tell you. The Spurs pulled it off last year sure because Khawi stepped up in the playoffs/ Finals but the previous year they should've beat Miami too, they got absolutely nothing out of Ginobli in the Finals because he was totally spent just getting there.

The number #1 team in the east pretty much gets a bye to the ECF man, its been that way for years just pencil in Miami and Boston then Miami and Indy. All the rest of the teams where a very distant second tier, I'm surprised as a basketball fan you haven't noticed that...

I've noticed just fine what you fail to notice is that 48 minutes played is 48 minutes played regardless. To make the claim they lost just because Ginobli was spent is just stupid. The same could be said about the Heat players last year. Just plug in player A for a bad performance because he was spent getting there. A bye is not having to play at all and we know that isn't the case. When teams in the East no longer have to actually play any games and make it to the finals then I'll take the notion the West teams are just so "beat up and tired" that when they get to the finals they can lose because of it seriously. "Spurs would've won if Ginobli wasn't spent." That is just a ridiculous statement. Just sounds so hypocritical. Any player from any team could be spent or tired from the series they just played before regardless of the conference.

2-ONE-5
02-08-2015, 04:37 PM
I've noticed just fine what you fail to notice is that 48 minutes played is 48 minutes played regardless. To make the claim they lost just because Ginobli was spent is just stupid. The same could be said about the Heat players last year. Just plug in player A for a bad performance because he was spent getting there. A bye is not having to play at all and we know that isn't the case. When teams in the East no longer have to actually play any games and make it to the finals then I'll take the notion the West teams are just so "beat up and tired" that when they get to the finals they can lose because of it seriously. "Spurs would've won if Ginobli wasn't spent." That is just a ridiculous statement. Just sounds so hypocritical. Any player from any team could be spent or tired from the series they just played before regardless of the conference.

hit em again!

IversonIsKrazy
02-08-2015, 04:59 PM
Of course they should. U want to see better teams playing, not a sub-40 win team get swept by an Eastern dominant. I also think that this encourages other teams like Kings, Nugz to play better knowing they can make playoffs, make the season more exciting.

nickdymez
02-09-2015, 02:45 AM
Good. Now I can start to respect LeBron if he wins now.

ThuglifeJ
02-09-2015, 03:06 AM
I'm all for this and for giving a longer break before playoffs so regular season doesn't focus so much on rest near the end. That or making the first round a 5 game series.

ThuglifeJ
02-09-2015, 03:06 AM
Good. Now I can start to respect LeBron if he wins now.

Right.

SPURSFAN1
02-09-2015, 04:02 AM
I would like the best 16 teams. Who wouldn't. Would definitely increase viewership for the first round. Keep the conferences and formula for the regular season. This would help good teams like OKC where they would probably not make the playoffs just because of injuries and unfortunate enough to be in a really hard conference. The talent is there and should be able to play for a championship since they would still have a better record playing in a hard conference than the lower record playing in an easier conference.

nastynice
02-09-2015, 05:45 AM

i'm sorry, I appreciate your spirit, but when you're playing bottom dwellers in the playoffs, you simply don't have to push yourself to the same degree as when playing legit competition. When your first round, and even many times second round, you can just turn it on and turn it off whenever you want, you're not gonna come out of there with the same scars as if you had just put everything on the line in order to get to the next round.

I'm not saying this to trash the east, but its just the truth. 10 out of 10 times the team that cakewalked to the finals will be fresher and have better legs than the team that had to claw and scratch their way in.

nastynice
02-09-2015, 05:51 AM
As far as the op, I don't think I want to see a playoff change. Teams on the east coast and west coast can be dramatically effected by this if they are going through multiple rounds of having to travel cross country every few days compared to teams that don't have to deal with this. There is a reason the league is split into east and west.

I def understand where people are coming from, but I think that this will itself then pose a brand new problem, and all the teams on the coast will be at (possibly) significant disadvantage compared to teams who'd travel significantly less

If the dubs had to go through the celtics and heat, and the spurs had to go through the rockets and thunder, all 6-7 game series, theres no way you can tell me that the dubs aren't at a signifcant disadvantage regarding rest and freshness.

*well, probably using team geriatric spurs wasn't a good example, but u get what i'm saying. Just replace spurs with mavs

RLundi
02-09-2015, 06:10 AM
I'm against it. I'm not a purist by any stretch, but I like how each conference is and operates as basically its own league, like the AL or the NFC. Not to mention, the disparity between the two conferences really does tend to be cyclical. Yes it's been pretty one-sided for an entire decade but it's going to even itself out and eventually switch.

Plus I don't like the idea of a balanced schedule, nor do I like the possibility of an east-west playoff matchup in any round other than the Finals. Division rivalries really don't matter but in my opinion, conference ones do. There's no history or geographic significance of say, a Bulls-Grizzlies series, and trying to hype it up would just be strange. I still think fans are a little territorial to a degree. Ask people in San Antonio or Dallas or Houston if territory matters. Or in Los Angeles or Oakland or Sacramento. It matters. I just don't want to regard the NBA like I do MLB after all its changes: a mess that just made everything worse and untypical.

TylerSL
02-09-2015, 06:43 AM
The whole notion that we need to do away the East-West system and just let the 16 best teams in is absurd. The NBA must maintain the East-West dynamic for traveling reasons if not for anything else. Players will not want to travel to the other side of the nation for a 1st or 2nd round series. 20 years ago it was the West that was weaker than East. The balance of power between the conferences will be far different 5-10 years from now, its really only a generational thing. The problem is not the East being so much weaker than the West, rather the problem is too many teams are allowed into the postseason.

The NBA allows 16 of its 30 teams into the postseason, that's absurd. That means a team that is literally not even in the top half of the league gets into the postseason. Instead of allowing the top 8 teams in each conference into the postseason, only allow the top 6. That would mean 12 teams get in overall, and the top 2 teams in each conference get a pass into the conference semifinals. So far this is just like the NFL, however it would change a bit because while the division winners would automatically get into the postseason, overall record would determine the playoff seeding. So if the division winner has the 7th best overall record in the conference they still get into the postseason, but would be the #6 seed because 5 teams would have a better overall record and would not receive home court advantage solely on winning the division. The first round of the playoffs would be a best of 5 series played out in a little over a week. The conference semifinals, conference finals, and NBA Finals would all remain a best of 7 series.

If the NBA were to do this, the NBA playoffs right now would look like

East
1.Atlanta Hawks
2.Toronto Raptors
3.Chicago Bulls
4.Washington Wizzards
5.Cleveland Cavaliers
6.Milwaukee Bucks

Atlanta and Toronto would receive spots in the conference semifinals while Chicago would play Milwaukee in a best of 5 and Washington would face Cleveland (Chicago and Washington with HCA).

West
1.Golden State Warriors
2.Memphis Grizzlies
3.Houston Rockets
4.Portland Trailblazers
5.Dallas Mavericks
6.Los Angeles Clippers

Here Portland who is a division leader is below a non division leader Houston because overall record should determine seeding not just the benefit of potentially playing in a weak division. Golden State and Memphis get into the conference semis and Rockets/Clippers and Portland/Dallas have best of 5 series.

Yes good teams would miss the playoffs, but good teams miss the playoffs in the MLB and NFL all the time. The NBA is the only sport where a bad team gets into the postseason. By doing this we would see a much higher quality of basketball and that alone would make the sport better. The NBA will never do this because it would mean less playoff games and therefore less money, but for the sake of the product it should. The fans and the media need to stop talking about the East-West system and instead question why so many damn teams get into the playoffs.

Goose17
02-09-2015, 10:02 AM
As far as the op, I don't think I want to see a playoff change. Teams on the east coast and west coast can be dramatically effected by this if they are going through multiple rounds of having to travel cross country every few days compared to teams that don't have to deal with this. There is a reason the league is split into east and west.

I def understand where people are coming from, but I think that this will itself then pose a brand new problem, and all the teams on the coast will be at (possibly) significant disadvantage compared to teams who'd travel significantly less

If the dubs had to go through the celtics and heat, and the spurs had to go through the rockets and thunder, all 6-7 game series, theres no way you can tell me that the dubs aren't at a signifcant disadvantage regarding rest and freshness.

*well, probably using team geriatric spurs wasn't a good example, but u get what i'm saying. Just replace spurs with mavs

Just give teams longer breaks in between games. A game every third day, that way the travelling doesn't effect them as much.

It's not much of an argument considering the geography of the conferences is messed up anyway. As it is now if the Dubs had to play Memphis in the playoffs that's a six hour flight. They would be quicker flying out to Milwaukee and playing them.

If they don't change the playoff format they need to realign the divisions and conferences, possibly include an expansion. Mainly to help with the disparity but also to have it make sense.

Eastern conference gets Memphis and Minnesota added to it. Western conference gets two expansion teams, one in Seattle and one somewhere else.

2-ONE-5
02-09-2015, 10:08 AM
there is not enoguh talkent for expansion, theres not even enoguh talent for 30 teams

Goose17
02-09-2015, 10:26 AM
there is not enoguh talkent for expansion, theres not even enoguh talent for 30 teams

Partially true. The issue is with a few teams having all the talent, not a lack of talent. They just need to find a way to have the talent spread out throughout the league. Not an easy feat though.

Like I said, I would rather they change the playoff format. But if they don't, they need to do something about the conferences, move some teams around.

RCarlson85
02-09-2015, 10:40 AM
I don't like this idea. It seems dumb to even have a EC and WC if they're just going to take the top 16 teams anyway. Why even have conferences anymore? I think if you're going to just take the top 16 then divisions and conferences should be eliminated and all teams should play the same balanced schedule. Otherwise it's still never going to be even. That's a flawed idea too though because if teams on either coast have to travel to the opposite coast more often it's going to result in players being more worn out from longer travel and increased travel between time zones. Teams in the middle of the country would then have a travel advantage because they wouldn't have to go as far to get to either coast or travel through as many time zones.

If there's going to be any change I would like to see some of the teams in the middle of the country switch conferences to try to balance out the power. Texas is pretty much the middle of the country and there are 3 WC teams in TX who always seem to be competitive. Then there's OKC who's also pretty close to the middle of the country and Memphis who is definitely closer to the East coast than West coast. Another option would be the Pelicans, they're also on the Eastern side of the country and seem to be an up and coming team. In my opinion switching a couple teams between conferences would be a better idea.

torocan
02-09-2015, 11:22 AM
I've noticed just fine what you fail to notice is that 48 minutes played is 48 minutes played regardless.

Just a note, 48 minutes is still 48 minutes, but not all 48 minutes are created equal.

Tell you what, you play Duke for 7 games, and I'll play against a team of high school players and sweep them. Then we'll see if you still think that all 48 minutes are still equal.

When you play against tougher teams you play your starters more, you don't get to take plays off, you have to maintain maximum intensity, and you're more likely playing a much more physical game.

When you play against cream puff teams you can nap on defense, jog up the floor, and sit out huge stretches of the game while your 2nd and 3rd string get in reps.

3 rounds against 50+ win teams is NOT the same as 3 rounds against a 35 win team, a 40 win team and a 50 win team. Maybe Miami would have won the titles anyway if they had to go through the Western gauntlet, however because they had a cakewalk to the finals it will always be a legitimate question as to how much of a gift being in the Eastern Conference has been to their level of success.

As for the whole "It all balances out argument", that's the silliest argument I've ever seen. Just because some Eastern teams got screwed in the past and will be screwed in the future is not an argument to justify solid Western Conference teams from being screwed today.

And quite frankly, I couldn't give a crap about whether the balance will swing back to the East in 10 or 15 years. In 10 or 15 years all of us could be dead. I could have a heart attack, be hit by a car, or be stranded in the mountains without Cable.

What I care about is having the Best basketball in the play offs on television NOW, when I know that I'll be able to enjoy it, when I know that I have the time and the means to enjoy it. I want to see the best players on the best teams play NOW while they're still able to play, not when the conference re-balance and some of those players are retired or long past their prime.

I would rather see Dragic, Anthony Davis and Durant playing in the play offs THIS year instead of hoping that the conferences swing back in time for them to get their chance to play against the best.

Make it the Best 16, and the sub-par teams can do what they should be doing... IE, improving their teams instead of getting free rides to the play offs, pretending everything is alright and wasting everybody's time.

Blink
02-09-2015, 11:55 AM
I'm all for the top 16 teams getting in.

But I just had an idea.

As of right now Charlotte is the 7th seed at 22-29 and Miami is the 8th seed at 21-29. Pelicans and Thunder are at the outside looking in as of right now.

In my idea Pelicans would play Hornets and Thunder would play the Heat in a 1 game playoff to get into the top 8 seeds in the East. Once all teams are in after the playoff then rank the seeds accordingly.

Right now we will say the West teams would win in that scenario.

Eastern Conference

1. Atlanta vs 8 Thunder
2. Toronto vs 7 Pelicans
3 Chicago vs 6 Milwaukee
4 Washington vs 5 Cleveland

I guess it still keeps the East vs West conference going.

RAPS424
02-09-2015, 11:58 AM
The whole notion that we need to do away the East-West system and just let the 16 best teams in is absurd. The NBA must maintain the East-West dynamic for traveling reasons if not for anything else. Players will not want to travel to the other side of the nation for a 1st or 2nd round series. 20 years ago it was the West that was weaker than East. The balance of power between the conferences will be far different 5-10 years from now, its really only a generational thing. The problem is not the East being so much weaker than the West, rather the problem is too many teams are allowed into the postseason.

The NBA allows 16 of its 30 teams into the postseason, that's absurd. That means a team that is literally not even in the top half of the league gets into the postseason. Instead of allowing the top 8 teams in each conference into the postseason, only allow the top 6. That would mean 12 teams get in overall, and the top 2 teams in each conference get a pass into the conference semifinals. So far this is just like the NFL, however it would change a bit because while the division winners would automatically get into the postseason, overall record would determine the playoff seeding. So if the division winner has the 7th best overall record in the conference they still get into the postseason, but would be the #6 seed because 5 teams would have a better overall record and would not receive home court advantage solely on winning the division. The first round of the playoffs would be a best of 5 series played out in a little over a week. The conference semifinals, conference finals, and NBA Finals would all remain a best of 7 series.

If the NBA were to do this, the NBA playoffs right now would look like

East
1.Atlanta Hawks
2.Toronto Raptors
3.Chicago Bulls
4.Washington Wizzards
5.Cleveland Cavaliers
6.Milwaukee Bucks

Atlanta and Toronto would receive spots in the conference semifinals while Chicago would play Milwaukee in a best of 5 and Washington would face Cleveland (Chicago and Washington with HCA).

West
1.Golden State Warriors
2.Memphis Grizzlies
3.Houston Rockets
4.Portland Trailblazers
5.Dallas Mavericks
6.Los Angeles Clippers

Here Portland who is a division leader is below a non division leader Houston because overall record should determine seeding not just the benefit of potentially playing in a weak division. Golden State and Memphis get into the conference semis and Rockets/Clippers and Portland/Dallas have best of 5 series.

Yes good teams would miss the playoffs, but good teams miss the playoffs in the MLB and NFL all the time. The NBA is the only sport where a bad team gets into the postseason. By doing this we would see a much higher quality of basketball and that alone would make the sport better. The NBA will never do this because it would mean less playoff games and therefore less money, but for the sake of the product it should. The fans and the media need to stop talking about the East-West system and instead question why so many damn teams get into the playoffs.

This could never work , nor could a 5 game series , because of the amount of revenue the league and networks would lose from missing so many games. It's all about the money

sixer04fan
02-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Will the proposed change still include the top 8 teams from each conference, just re-seeded? Or will it just be the top 16 teams overall (including division winners obviously)?