PDA

View Full Version : Where Do The Cavs Finish? How Far They Go In the Playoffs and who Knocks Them Off?

RocketLoc80
02-08-2015, 11:55 AM
They seemed to find their grove and chemistry sorta but they lost to the Pacers the other day. Do you think they can finish strong or you think they are gonna struggle and stumble to the finish line? So where do you see them finishing and you think they can make a deep playoff run?

Goose17
02-08-2015, 12:11 PM
They're only a game back from the third seed. I think it's more than possible for them to finish in the top 3.

Looking at their schedule they have;

Lakers,
Miami,
Chicago,
D.C,
Knicks,
Detroit,
Golden State,
Indiana,
Houston,
Boston,
Toronto,
Atlanta,
Phoenix,
Dallas,
San Antonio,
Orlando,
Brooklyn,
Miami,
Indiana,
Milwaukee,
Memphis,
Brooklyn,
Philly,
Miami,
Chicago,
Milwaukee,
Boston,
Detroit,
D.C

If the big 3 can stay healthy, I think they're probably going to go about 17-13 or there abouts. So they'll finish with a record of 47-35. Good for third/fourth in the East.

As for the playoffs? Second round exit at best. Unless Lebron goes into beast mode and they get a good match up.

If they finish 4th or 5th the chances are they would meet Atlanta in the second round, they're not getting past the Hawks.

Tony_Starks
02-08-2015, 12:30 PM
I had them as a second round knockout actually but I'll admit I completely slept on Kyrie. I can see him putting on a complete show in the playoffs, enough to get them to the ECF.

mightybosstone
02-08-2015, 12:37 PM
If the big 3 can stay healthy, I think they're probably going to go about 17-13 or there abouts. So they'll finish with a record of 47-35. Good for third/fourth in the East.

As for the playoffs? Second round exit at best. Unless Lebron goes into beast mode and they get a good match up.

If they finish 4th or 5th the chances are they would meet Atlanta in the second round, they're not getting past the Hawks.
Mmm... I'm going to go ahead and agree to disagree. You're talking about a team that won 12 straight before that narrow loss against Indiana on the road on the second night of a back to back. And those 12 wins weren't cake walks. They beat the Clippers twice, the Bulls, the Thunder and the Blazers. I would bet money that they finish at least third, if not second.

Look at the Wizards, who were 3-7 in their last 10. They're also only three games behind the Raptors, who haven't been the same team since early in the season. Look at Toronto's next seven games: San Antonio, Washington, @ Atlanta, @ Houston, @ New Orleans, @ Dallas and Golden State. That's brutal. Cleveland could feasibly catch them in that stretch and have the No. 2 seed before March even starts.

As for the playoffs, what team is so good that they could easily knock off the Cavaliers in a seven-game series outside of Atlanta? Maybe Chicago, but Cleveland has had their number thus far this season. And I think it's unlikely they'll face the Bulls prior to the conference finals unless both teams climb up into the No. 2 and No. 3 seeds.

Looking at the remainder of the Cavs schedule, it actually looks pretty easy. They have a tough stretch in early March, but after March 12, 10 of their last 15 games are against sub .500 teams. And two of those .500+ games are against Milwaukee. They're going to do a lot better than 17-13 in their last 30 games. I'm going to predict 22-8, which would put them at 53 wins. In the playoffs, they're either going to get knocked off in the conference finals by Atlanta or Chicago, or they're going to lose in the Finals to the Western Conference representative. This team won't win the Finals, but I certainly wouldn't bet against them cracking the final four.

Goose17
02-08-2015, 12:39 PM
I had them as a second round knockout actually but I'll admit I completely slept on Kyrie. I can see him putting on a complete show in the playoffs, enough to get them to the ECF.

It's possible. But he's never been to the post season, neither has Love. It's a completely different style of play teams have, it's far more intense, far more difficult to "go off" imo.

mightybosstone
02-08-2015, 12:45 PM
It's possible. But he's never been to the post season, neither has Love. It's a completely different style of play teams have, it's far more intense, far more difficult to "go off" imo.

But you have to ask yourself, "Are Toronto or Washington good enough to beat the Cavs in a seven-game series?" I just don't see it. If the Cavs keep on this run they're having and continue to gel, I see no reason why anyone in the west outside of Atlanta or Chicago would beat them barring unforeseen circumstances.

Goose17
02-08-2015, 01:03 PM
If they can find a way to hold Lebron to his average game and stop him from going into best mode OR hold everyone else well below their averages and force Lebron to put the team on his back and try and win alone, then yes, I think Toronto and D.C can beat them in a 7 game series.

I think both Toronto and D.C have the talent there to shut down 2 out of the big 3. I also think they play better as a unit and they have more playoff experience.

Goose17
02-08-2015, 01:04 PM
And I did say it was more than possible for them to finish in the top 3. I was doing what I consider a more realistic scenario. But anything can happen and they're more than capable of finishing with 50-55 wins.

Vee-Rex
02-08-2015, 01:33 PM

Everyone sleeps on Kyrie. He just can't lead... I mean the kid is only 22. I really can't believe how much he gets trashed on PSD because of that. Dude is legit offensively, an average passer, and has been playing above-average defense in the last month or so. He can shoot extremely well from anywhere on the court and is arguably the NBA's best ball handler.

Having Lebron come in and lead is one of the best things that could've happened for him.

As of right now, I think the Cavs make it to the ECF or the finals. I don't see them winning a championship unless their chemistry builds.

The playoffs are a different beast though and I think people will see what teams like Chicago and Washington are made of. I can see one of those two beating Atlanta or Cleveland to be honest.

Yanks All Day
02-08-2015, 05:39 PM
This current version of the Cavs has played what, 14 games together? As constructed, they're as talented as any team in basketball. They also have the best player in the world on their team. Cleveland's ceiling is as high as their defense allows it to be.

As for who can beat the Cavs? A bunch of teams right now. Anywhere from 5-7 teams can beat Cleveland in a 7 game series. Conversely, Cleveland can also beat any team in the NBA in a 7 game series.

I know some people REALLY don't want to see LeBron win again, and that's where the majority of Cleveland hate comes from, but they're constructed to win. You have the best player in the world who has won 2 championships, as talented a PG and PF as there is in the NBA, a bonafide rim protecter, championship veterans, and guys who can create and score when needed.

All the top teams this year have their flaws. Atlanta is currently playing the best team ball, they're also playoff inexperienced. Washington and Toronto are young, and flat out not as talented as Cleveland. Golden State scores better than anyone in basketball, but at the end of the day are a jump shooting team, which historically don't win championships. The Clippers and Thunder have underperformed and are hit with injuries. San Antonio hasn't played the same as we expect. The list goes on and on. Honestly, this NBA season is up for grabs.

This Cavs team has about 30 games left in the regular season to continue to gel. I'd imagine the very least we see from them is the ECF. I wouldn't be shocked to see them win it all, in the slightest. It's all about these last 30 games and how they come together defensively, but it's all there for them.

For the record, though, I actually think the team best suited to win the title at this moment is the Memphis Grizzlies.

Htownballa1622
02-08-2015, 06:04 PM
I say they make it to the finals as the 2 or 3 seed. Whether they win or not is tbd.

brandt
02-08-2015, 06:38 PM
They won't go far at all. Since January 2nd their record is 14 and 7 including the Lakers game they are about to win today. 9 of those 14 wins were against losing teams. 3 of their 7 losses are against losing teams too. They will lose in the first round.

FlashBolt
02-08-2015, 06:58 PM
They are going to be second seed and IMO, lose in the NBA Finals. They are good but not great.

slaker619
02-08-2015, 07:15 PM
ECF Knockout to Hawks/Wizards

pebloemer
02-08-2015, 07:38 PM
They finish with the 2nd or 3rd seed and lose to Atlanta in the conference finals.

Minimal
02-08-2015, 07:56 PM
They won't go far at all. Since January 2nd their record is 14 and 7 including the Lakers game they are about to win today. 9 of those 14 wins were against losing teams. 3 of their 7 losses are against losing teams too. They will lose in the first round.
I think you missed that part where they won 12 straight for 3rd longest winning streak this season, didn't you?

Goose17
02-08-2015, 08:15 PM
I think you missed that part where they won 12 straight for 3rd longest winning streak this season, didn't you?

7 of those wins were against teams below .500 the only teams they beat on that streak worth mentioning were Portland, Chicago and OKC.

JasonJohnHorn
02-08-2015, 08:17 PM
The games agaisnt DC, TO and CHI are the most important. They've been playing well... I expect them to finish out the season with around 75% winning percentage.... assuming that Washington continues to struggle a little before picking thing back up, and assuming they can beat CHI and TO when they meat up, they should be in second place in the conference by season's end.

Into the playoffs... it's all about momentum. ATL peeked too early. There is no way they can maintain their winning percentage of the last 20 games over the rest of the season. I expect they will keep their first place position, but I also expect the Cavs to make it to the finals, where I assume they will get their @$$$ haned to them.

brandt
02-08-2015, 09:55 PM
7 of those wins were against teams below .500 the only teams they beat on that streak worth mentioning were Portland, Chicago and OKC.

That was my point, thank you.

DemarDerozan
02-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Cavs Forum

Tony_Starks
02-09-2015, 01:03 AM

Everyone sleeps on Kyrie. He just can't lead... I mean the kid is only 22. I really can't believe how much he gets trashed on PSD because of that. Dude is legit offensively, an average passer, and has been playing above-average defense in the last month or so. He can shoot extremely well from anywhere on the court and is arguably the NBA's best ball handler.

Having Lebron come in and lead is one of the best things that could've happened for him.

As of right now, I think the Cavs make it to the ECF or the finals. I don't see them winning a championship unless their chemistry builds.

The playoffs are a different beast though and I think people will see what teams like Chicago and Washington are made of. I can see one of those two beating Atlanta or Cleveland to be honest.

Yeah I don''t see them beating Washington. Paul Pierce was the perfect piece to that puzzle and they're trying to convince Ray to come on board. If John Wall hadn't been struggling with those migraines they would have a even better record. Don't see them beating Bulls either.

Now if they have to see Raptors or even the Hawks if I'm a Cleveland fan I have no worries....

bucketss
02-09-2015, 01:37 AM
cavs are ridiculously underrated right now, them making the finals really wouldn't be a surprise to me.

KnicksorBust
02-09-2015, 06:25 AM
I dont know/care where they finish but they are still the most likely team to win the finals.

prodigy
02-09-2015, 07:22 AM
Hawks are only threat in the east. then again they are a jump shooting team. unless they find someone to stop LeBron they cant beat the cavs. Lebron is getting a lot of days off too. he's going to be well rested for playoffs. until proven otherwise LeBron and co will win east.

LakersIn5
02-09-2015, 08:03 AM
Championship

Goose17
02-09-2015, 09:54 AM
I dont know/care where they finish but they are still the most likely team to win the finals.

You have Cavs over every western conference team? :laugh2:

Vee-Rex
02-09-2015, 10:04 AM

They only have to play one western team if they make the finals.

Goose17
02-09-2015, 10:07 AM
They only have to play one western team if they make the finals.

Right but he said they're the favourite to win the finals, which means he thinks regardless of which team out West makes it to the finals, Cavs will win.

torocan
02-09-2015, 11:30 AM
Personally I think that the ECF is up for grabs. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cavs or Atlanta came out of East.

Chicago would be surprising only in that they currently don't have their crap together.
The Raptors are a dark horse and would need some luck and favorable match ups.

And I've written off the Wizards at this point. They lack the maturity, consistency and depth that you need to make a deep play off run (IE, go past the 2nd round). I just don't see them getting past any of the top 4 teams (Raptors, Atlanta, Chicago or Cleveland).

And Lebron is great and all, but I still have serious doubts about the Cavs ability to defend for 48 full minutes. They've had a good streak lately, but I need to see them against more upper end competition (IE, more than 3 or 4 games) before I can give them more credit.

The Cavs offense will be fine, but will they be able to contain good offenses for 48 minutes consistently? They show continuous lapses in their defensive habits (rotations, close outs and contesting). In the end, that will hurt them without substantial correction.

Hawkeye15
02-09-2015, 11:50 AM
ECF against the Hawks.

D-Leethal
02-09-2015, 11:52 AM
I think the Hawks D will stifle them and they will have no answer for the Hawks O. I don't think it will look much different than the Finals last year. Hawks are just too damn good.

Hawkeye15
02-09-2015, 12:13 PM
I think the Hawks D will stifle them and they will have no answer for the Hawks O. I don't think it will look much different than the Finals last year. Hawks are just too damn good.

as currently playing, I agree with you. The Hawks remind me of the Spurs quite frankly. Everyone can shoot, dribble, and pass, and their team defense is spot on.

But, we still have time to go. I just don't trust the Cavs defense, so their offense would need to carry them, which has never been the best recipe for playoff success...

KnicksorBust
02-09-2015, 01:45 PM

I only get 1 team and you get the entire conference? Well that wouldn't be a fair bet at all would it? I'll let anybody on this site pick any 1 Western Conference team they want and I'll take the Cavs. We'll see who ends up in a better spot.

KnicksorBust
02-09-2015, 01:46 PM

I'm really not sweating that Hawks perimeter defense to slow down LeBron and Kyrie.

Goose17
02-09-2015, 01:51 PM
I only get 1 team and you get the entire conference? Well that wouldn't be a fair bet at all would it? I'll let anybody on this site pick any 1 Western Conference team they want and I'll take the Cavs. We'll see who ends up in a better spot.

so you do think the Cavs can beat any western team in a seven game series? Who's your dealer? I want some of that.

Goose17
02-09-2015, 01:52 PM
Did you think the Knicks would be a playoff team this year as well lmao.

KnicksorBust
02-09-2015, 01:55 PM
Did you think the Knicks would be a playoff team this year as well lmao.

Baiting? :) Thought we were going to have an actual discussion. Pass.

Goose17
02-09-2015, 02:01 PM

Not baiting. Just saying your predictions are based in fantasy.

Cleveland will struggle to get to the finals. And even if they manage it they won't win against whichever team comes out west. They would be doing well just avoiding being swept. I'll be shocked if they make it to the finals and it lasts more than 5 games.

Sactown
02-09-2015, 02:24 PM

Cleveland will struggle to get to the finals. And even if they manage it they won't win against whichever team comes out west. They would be doing well just avoiding being swept. I'll be shocked if they make it to the finals and it lasts more than 5 games.

He actually makes sense... With the western conference so competitive.. anyone could lose in the first round.. making the Cavs the better selection on who would make it further.. it's not about talent but about opposition..

Goose17
02-09-2015, 03:47 PM
He actually makes sense... With the western conference so competitive.. anyone could lose in the first round.. making the Cavs the better selection on who would make it further.. it's not about talent but about opposition..

I'm not saying the Cavs don't have an easier road or can't get further/too the finals. I'm saying they won't win the finals, they won't be able to beat whoever it is that comes out West. I'm confident of that much.

Some eastern teams might. Cleveland aren't one of them.

Vee-Rex
02-09-2015, 04:24 PM
I'm not saying the Cavs don't have an easier road or can't get further/too the finals. I'm saying they won't win the finals, they won't be able to beat whoever it is that comes out West. I'm confident of that much.

As of right now? Definitely no. We're underdogs and aren't even the best in the East. We face someone like Golden State right now in a 7 game series we'll get handled.

Now, assuming chemistry builds and players improve on defense and offensive efficiency... by the time June comes, I think the Cavs can beat any Western team. We've got enough talent and are already a much better team in 2015 than 2014, through many improvements.

Brock17
02-09-2015, 05:33 PM
They'll win one series and then get bounced out in 6.

RocketLoc80
02-09-2015, 06:40 PM
Wow so none of you think the Cavs would have a chance in a series against The Thunder,Rockets, Or Clippers?!!! Wow I could understand if somebody said the Warriors or Spurs but wow people think OKC as currently constructed can beat them in the series?!

IKnowHoops
02-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Hawks will be there toughest series. If they beat the Hawks, they will beat whoever is in the West. I think the Cavs and Hawks will beat any team in the West in a seven game series. Although if the Spurs make it to the finals then that means they flipped the switch and they would be extremely hard to beat at that point.

I'm going with the Cavs to win it all.

FlashBolt
02-09-2015, 07:12 PM
Wow so none of you think the Cavs would have a chance in a series against The Thunder,Rockets, Or Clippers?!!! Wow I could understand if somebody said the Warriors or Spurs but wow people think OKC as currently constructed can beat them in the series?!

I think OKC has a chance if they can stop Westbrook. You can't stop KD because when he misses, it's because of his own ability than anyone else. 7 feet, can shoot anywhere, is mobile, just unstoppable on a offensive scheme of things. Westbrook can be stopped, though. Make him take long shots, block off the paint, force him to pass, and slow him down as much as you can. When Russell plays bad, he plays REALLY bad. I don't think Irving has the size to stop him so we're probably going to see Shump guarding him more than anyone. If Westbrook plays great, we have a chance to beat anyone. Ibaka also has to step up, of course. But against Love, he shouldn't have a problem scoring.

Rockets are a joke. I'm sorry but I just can't take them serious in the playoffs. Time and time again, Harden has been exposed. Granted, he's playing like an MVP but he can be detained. Dwight Howard.. I mean really? This guy is a JOKE right now.

Clippers are not going to make the Finals.

The way I see it, the toughest matchup for the Cavs would be the Grizzlies and Spurs.

KnicksorBust
02-09-2015, 07:15 PM

Fantasy? That is hilarious. I have made more correct predictions on this site than days you have been a poster. You clearly had nothing of value to add and resorted to baiting me on a (fingers crossed) guess that I was making bold Knicks playoff predictions in the preseason. Please go track that thread down. LOL. I was the fan who realized after their WIN in Cleveland on the 2nd game of the season that they had chemistry issues and made a thread about it while everyone was celebrating. You have no clue what you are talking about so you went for a cheap shot . You offer no alternatives or explanations. You just say you will be shocked if they make it. Great argument. I am pretty sure you were the guy who a month ago doubted they would even get out of the 1st round. Hows that looking now? You also engaged me in a debate about who would lead the league in scoring and I picked Lebron and argued how Harden could be considered the best scorer in the game and would easily pass Klay Thompson. Does that look like a fantasy too?

FlashBolt
02-09-2015, 07:24 PM

Why isn't Cleveland one of them but Bulls/Hawks/Wizards/Toronto are one of them? Give me a break. Please clarify yourself.

Ty Fast
02-09-2015, 09:21 PM
Bulls or Hawks in the East.

KnicksorBust
02-09-2015, 10:10 PM

This is basically the case. The East has roughly half the contenders of the West. Any objective thinking would recognize that increases in the odds significantly for teams like the Cavs and Hawks.

Avenged
02-09-2015, 10:20 PM

I guess. I don't think it's a joke of a prediction like you're making it seem though.

Tony_Starks
02-10-2015, 12:14 AM
Is this team considered better than the Miami Super team? Because for that team the expectation was nothing less than the Finals right away. I have a feeling when this new version loses this year it will just get chalked up to Kyrie/Loves lack of playoff experience....

FlashBolt
02-10-2015, 12:24 AM
Is this team considered better than the Miami Super team? Because for that team the expectation was nothing less than the Finals right away. I have a feeling when this new version loses this year it will just get chalked up to Kyrie/Loves lack of playoff experience....

You know Cleveland isn't gonna win.. You just wanna find a way to blame Lebron for it. Lmao, I can already tell.

Tony_Starks
02-10-2015, 12:46 AM

You know Cleveland isn't gonna win.. You just wanna find a way to blame Lebron for it. Lmao, I can already tell.

Your mind reading powers aside I didn't even mention that guy. You need to quit being so maxi pad sensitive about your hero, believe it or not Cleveland actually has an entire team and the thread is about where THEY will go....

xxplayerxx23
02-10-2015, 12:49 AM
Hope I'm wrong but I think they get to the finals

xxplayerxx23
02-10-2015, 12:53 AM
When did it become a joke for the cavs to win :laugh: come on now they have one of the most talented roster in the NBA, and adding JR. shump moz and possibly adding Ray allen soon I think they are one of the deepest roster. With that said hopefully the Hawks can do it in the playoffs/a western conference beats them.

Stunner
02-10-2015, 01:04 AM
I must add the times they beat Chicago the bulls weren't 100%

First time no butler and Rose goes out in the 2nd half , barely won but a win is a win .

2nd game no Noah and I think MDJ as well . Bulls just didn't show up at all . A win is a win I just want to see them go head to head at full strength

Captain Moroni
02-10-2015, 01:15 AM
Cleveland is the best team in the EC hands down. Picking up JR. Smith and Shump was a coup. Mozgov was EXACTLY what they needed inside and dumping waiters was brilliant. Now watch them get Amare as a bench piece. chicago's days as a EC power are over. Atlanta is good, but this is all Clevelands to lose.

smith&wesson
02-10-2015, 01:26 AM
the east is wide open, its anyones guess really. hawks, raps, bulls, cavs, wiz all have a chance to reach the ecf's imo.

Having LeBron, you cant really count out the cavs... I think every one knows that. He took the cavs to the finals with much less talent and experience before, its not hard to imagine him doing it again with more talent around him.

mngopher35
02-10-2015, 01:38 AM
I would probably guess they either lose in the ECF to Atlanta or in the finals. They have the potential to win it all but you can say that about a ton of teams this year. While I am still slightly skeptical about Atlanta come playoff time I do think that their ball movement is something that could exploit Clevelands weak defense. It all depends on how teams enter the playoffs (health, chemistry) but for right now I think they lose in ECF.

Crackadalic
02-10-2015, 01:48 AM
Cavs has the most talent on paper in the east no question.

I'm just not sold on their defense at all. It's nowhere near elite. Rank 21st on def efficiency and the games I've watch they let a lot of guys score easy baskets. Tell me the last time a team rank that low made it to the finals

I also question how they play a possession by possession game in the playoffs where a lot of times during there win streak they don't play flawless basketball and win some of their games by beating them on just Talent

I still think 2nd round knockout at best

JLeBeau76
02-10-2015, 02:52 AM
When you think about playoffs, you have to weigh heavily that you will be seeing the same team in a seven game series. That makes it way easier to game plan against opponents. That's why they also say that the playoffs are meant for superstars.

Atlanta is built for the regular season. They play good team ball but lack that superstar to turn to when opposing teams have game planned to stop them. Don't see Washington or Toronto being quite ready to make the leap either.

Imo, only Cleveland and Chicago have the roster to win the east at this time and it'll come down to home court and health.

Personally, I think if Cleveland can avoid any major injuries, I don't see anyone in the east beating them 4 out of 7.

cdnsportsfan
02-10-2015, 02:07 PM
Cleveland finishes the regular season either second or third in the East, with Toronto most likely claiming the other spot (though that could also change). If there was no LeBron I'd say the Raps had a solid chance against the Cavs in the second round, because he's there though I say Toronto takes two games at most (I'd love to be proven wrong!) and Cleveland moves on to be the team beaten by the Hawks in the ECF.

Atlanta is a top 10 offence and defence, they play as a team, and they've beaten just about everyone so far this season. Cleveland has a Top 10 offence, a bottom 10 defence and they're star driven. It'll probably go 6, as Cleveland does have very talented players, but Atlanta will come out on top.

bucketss
02-10-2015, 03:11 PM
When you think about playoffs, you have to weigh heavily that you will be seeing the same team in a seven game series. That makes it way easier to game plan against opponents. That's why they also say that the playoffs are meant for superstars.

Atlanta is built for the regular season. They play good team ball but lack that superstar to turn to when opposing teams have game planned to stop them. Don't see Washington or Toronto being quite ready to make the leap either.

Imo, only Cleveland and Chicago have the roster to win the east at this time and it'll come down to home court and health.

Personally, I think if Cleveland can avoid any major injuries, I don't see anyone in the east beating them 4 out of 7.

do the bulls have a superstar to turn to?

mightybosstone
02-10-2015, 03:16 PM
If I had to rank contenders right now in each conference in order, I would probably rank them as follows:

East
1. Atlanta
2. Chicago
3. Cleveland
4. Washington
5. Toronto

West
1. Golden State
2. Memphis
3. San Antonio
4. LA Clippers
5. Houston

While Atlanta and Golden State should clearly be the favorites in each conference, I don't think either squad wants to see the No. 2 or No. 3 teams in the playoffs. But both conferences are pretty wide open, so I wouldn't be shocked to see any of these 10 teams winning it all. I wouldn't rule out Dallas, OKC or Portland in the West, either.

Tony_Starks
02-10-2015, 03:22 PM
If I had to rank contenders right now in each conference in order, I would probably rank them as follows:

East
1. Atlanta
2. Chicago
3. Cleveland
4. Washington
5. Toronto

West
1. Golden State
2. Memphis
3. San Antonio
4. LA Clippers
5. Houston

While Atlanta and Golden State should clearly be the favorites in each conference, I don't think either squad wants to see the No. 2 or No. 3 teams in the playoffs. But both conferences are pretty wide open, so I wouldn't be shocked to see any of these 10 teams winning it all. I wouldn't rule out Dallas, OKC or Portland in the West, either.

I'm curious as to why you have Houston over Portland, especially with Dwight having health issues? Portland was better than them last year with a healthy Dwight and they are even better this year....

mightybosstone
02-10-2015, 03:30 PM
I'm curious as to why you have Houston over Portland, especially with Dwight having health issues? Portland was better than them last year with a healthy Dwight and they are even better this year....

Because Houston is better this season, and Dwight will likely get healthy again by the season's end. Also, the series last season was a coin flip, and the Rockets are a much, much deeper team today than they were a year ago.

And why do you assume that Portland is better this season than last? Technically they aren't. They were 36-16 through 52 games last year.

bucketss
02-10-2015, 03:34 PM
everyone puts washington over toronto but we continually beat that team.

albertajaysfan
02-10-2015, 03:52 PM
They finish with the 2nd or 3rd seed and lose to Atlanta in the conference finals.

Completely agree.

JLeBeau76
02-10-2015, 03:52 PM
do the bulls have a superstar to turn to?

don't want to discount rose, Noah or gasol. And Butler is just one great playoff run from making the leap into the conversation.

I like Chicago but I still say a healthy Cavs beats them in six.

And I stick with Atlanta being only a regular season wonder. You can't convince me that a good gameplan coach, which is what Blatt is best known for, given a seven game series, can't shut down the Hawks with a team as athletic and talented as the Cavs. Atlanta has no answer to the question, who is going to step up and take over games in the playoffs because they will need someone to.

Atlanta may be called the "spurs of the east" but Tim Duncan, Tony parker, Manu or Leonard isn't walking through that door, and neither is Pop.

Tony_Starks
02-10-2015, 04:22 PM

Because Houston is better this season, and Dwight will likely get healthy again by the season's end. Also, the series last season was a coin flip, and the Rockets are a much, much deeper team today than they were a year ago.

And why do you assume that Portland is better this season than last? Technically they aren't. They were 36-16 through 52 games last year.

Because they're deeper. The young pups got better and they have legit vet backup PG and C this year which they didn't have last year.

Dwight may very well come back healthy but that's still a big assumption, especially when you're talking about a Big mans knee. I still can't see them finishing better than Portland.....

cdnsportsfan
02-10-2015, 04:55 PM
everyone puts washington over toronto but we continually beat that team.

Agreed, but I have nothing against this team being slept on by most. They're still young and given their inconsistent play (follow up losses to the Bucks and Nets by beating the Clippers and Spurs) I'd rather they not get too cocky. If the Raps and Wiz were to meet in the postseason I'd say the Raps would take them in the end, but the odds of that happening don't appear to be that great right now.

Still, giving Washington better odds of beating Atlanta than Toronto? Hey, the Raps already beat ATL twice this season, and no other team can say that! (yeah, the second win/***-whooping is what led to the Hawks absolutely crazy turnaround, but it's still something that Raps fans can tout, dammit! :cool:)

Anyways this thread is about Cleveland, and I still say the Cavs only go as far as the ECF (should get there, just won't get passed Atlanta)

mightybosstone
02-10-2015, 05:07 PM
Because they're deeper. The young pups got better and they have legit vet backup PG and C this year which they didn't have last year.
And so are the Rockets. With Jones back and once Howard gets, healthy, they might be one of the deepest teams in the league. They just need to add a veteran PG.

Dwight may very well come back healthy but that's still a big assumption, especially when you're talking about a Big mans knee. I still can't see them finishing better than Portland.....
Well, they have a better record than Portland does now. :shrug:

Minimal
02-10-2015, 05:13 PM
They get to the finals and lose to either Memphis or Dallas, thats my prediction.

Chronz
02-10-2015, 05:20 PM
They get to the finals and lose to either Memphis or Dallas, thats my prediction.
I'd take that bet. Dallas? Really?

Minimal
02-10-2015, 10:01 PM
I really like Dallas in the playoffs. They have great, playoff experienced team with a great coach. They almost beat San Antonio in the playoffs last year as the 8th seed (4-3), the only team that actually came close to eliminating the Champs. And they got much better this year. If all of them are healthy, they got Rajon Rondo, who is a triple double machine in the playoffs, capable of stopping opposing dominant PGs, we are gonna see a lot of those in the playoffs. They got Tyson, great defender and rim protector. They got Monta who is playing decently for them. And they still got Dirk, one of the best playoff performers out there. Don't look at their record, they are one of the best teams in the playoffs. No need to sleep on them.

KnicksorBust
02-10-2015, 10:05 PM

Who ya got?

cmellofan15
02-10-2015, 10:36 PM
LeBron hasn't lost a series against an Eastern Conference team since 2009 and I don't think this will be the year that streak ends. So I think they'll definitely be coming out of the East, and with the west being the cannibalistic conference I'll take them in 7 against whoever's repping the west.

FlashBolt
02-10-2015, 10:37 PM
LeBron hasn't lost a series against an Eastern Conference team since 2009 and I don't think this will be the year that streak ends. So I think they'll definitely be coming out of the East, and with the west being the cannibalistic conference I'll take them in 7 against whoever's repping the west.

So you think Cavs are going to win? You're the third person I know on this forum who has said that.

L8kers4life
02-10-2015, 11:12 PM
So you think Cavs are going to win? You're the third person I know on this forum who has said that.

Make that 4, I got them winning it all as well. I think they beat golden state in 6, I think Gstate is good enough to win it all, but they don't have the experience, LeBron and the Cavs get it done solely because LeBron is the best in the world, and it's not even close anymore, and he knows how to get it done. I think Durant and Curry are a distant 2 and 3 behind LeBron.

The only possible way I can see them losing is if San Antonio can somehow make it back. I just can't see them getting their 3 years in a row.

Also, the Cavs for once made some really good moves in getting, Mozgov, Shump and JR, if they add Ray Allen, it's a wrap!

cmellofan15
02-10-2015, 11:41 PM

yep, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lost in the finals. just looking at the possible western conference match ups makes me think that the Cavs will have to play a pretty beaten up team if they make it that far. first round could end up being something like this:

Warriors v Thunder
Memphis v San Antonio
Houston v LAC
Dallas v Portland

that's ****ing insane.

IKnowHoops
02-10-2015, 11:54 PM
I think its more off base to think they either have no chance, are a 1st round exit, or even a 2nd round exit. Barring injury, I don't think any team in the east besides the Hawks has any chance at beating them in a 7 game series. I wouldn't be surprised at a dominant run through the playoffs and finals actually. The only teams I feel that can beat the Cavs are the Hawks and Spurs.

brandt
02-11-2015, 03:08 AM
I think OKC has a chance if they can stop Westbrook. You can't stop KD because when he misses, it's because of his own ability than anyone else. 7 feet, can shoot anywhere, is mobile, just unstoppable on a offensive scheme of things. Westbrook can be stopped, though. Make him take long shots, block off the paint, force him to pass, and slow him down as much as you can. When Russell plays bad, he plays REALLY bad. I don't think Irving has the size to stop him so we're probably going to see Shump guarding him more than anyone. If Westbrook plays great, we have a chance to beat anyone. Ibaka also has to step up, of course. But against Love, he shouldn't have a problem scoring.

Rockets are a joke. I'm sorry but I just can't take them serious in the playoffs. Time and time again, Harden has been exposed. Granted, he's playing like an MVP but he can be detained. Dwight Howard.. I mean really? This guy is a JOKE right now.

Clippers are not going to make the Finals.

The way I see it, the toughest matchup for the Cavs would be the Grizzlies and Spurs.

For OKC to have a chance, they would have to play waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than having a 27 and 25 record. They aren't even seeded and you are going to say that the Rockets are a joke? The Rockets are the 3rd seed in the West and their record is 36 and 16. OKC is 2 games above 500. That is laughable compared to the Rockets record. Dwight Howard has been hurt half the season and Terrence Jones and Pat Beverly were hurt for a significant amount of time too and they are still winning. No, the Rockets aren't great and there is a very good chance they won't go all the way, but they have proven to be contenders. OKC might not even make the playoffs. The Rockets will!

As far as the Cavs go. All of these teams they have been beating have been against losing teams. If they make it past the first round, they won't make it past the second.

JLeBeau76
02-11-2015, 03:56 AM
As far as the Cavs go. All of these teams they have been beating have been against losing teams. If they make it past the first round, they won't make it past the second.

Clippers twice, Oklahoma City, Chicago, Portland, hot Detroit and Charlotte squads....yep, the cavs have just been beating scrubs here recently.

cmellofan15
02-11-2015, 09:27 AM
For OKC to have a chance, they would have to play waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than having a 27 and 25 record. They aren't even seeded and you are going to say that the Rockets are a joke? The Rockets are the 3rd seed in the West and their record is 36 and 16. OKC is 2 games above 500. That is laughable compared to the Rockets record. Dwight Howard has been hurt half the season and Terrence Jones and Pat Beverly were hurt for a significant amount of time too and they are still winning

you excuse the rockets injuries but don't mention that Westbrook and Durant were injured for a good chunk of games....

brandt
02-11-2015, 04:21 PM
you excuse the rockets injuries but don't mention that Westbrook and Durant were injured for a good chunk of games....

Exactly, and they pretty much lost every game when one of those guys was out. The Rockets still won games when they had injuries including Dwight Howard and continue to.

Teeboy1487
02-11-2015, 04:38 PM
I see ATL taking them out in the ECF.

benny01
02-11-2015, 06:54 PM
I think any team ahead of them in the East right now could take them, with the least likely being Toronto. Doesn't mean they will, just that they could. I think it will come down to who's hottest and healthiest going in. Any of the top 5 could come out of the east, seeding will be important.

FlashBolt
02-11-2015, 07:27 PM
For OKC to have a chance, they would have to play waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than having a 27 and 25 record. They aren't even seeded and you are going to say that the Rockets are a joke? The Rockets are the 3rd seed in the West and their record is 36 and 16. OKC is 2 games above 500. That is laughable compared to the Rockets record. Dwight Howard has been hurt half the season and Terrence Jones and Pat Beverly were hurt for a significant amount of time too and they are still winning. No, the Rockets aren't great and there is a very good chance they won't go all the way, but they have proven to be contenders. OKC might not even make the playoffs. The Rockets will!

1) 27-25 record because Westbrook/KD were out.. Do you even realize that? Considering KD was out more games than played, I'd say we're in a pretty good position. Their record doesn't speak for their capability. Do you think the Warriors would rather play OKC or PHX?
2) Rockets are a joke because of two people; Dwight Howard and James Harden. Two complete clowns who will be exposed in the playoffs again. Granted, Harden is having an AMAZING regular season but every time in the Playoffs, he starts sleeping. In case you haven't heard, the Playoffs are completely different than the regular season. KD lights it up in the playoffs.
3) Lmao, oh yeah, because Dwight = KD or Westbrook? Lmao. That's completely crap. Dwight's impact on that team is nothing compared to KD's impact. Not to mention Houston has a better roster than OKC. Don't know why you're comparing the incomparable.
4) What part of OKC losing games mainly due to Westbrook/KD's absence don't you understand? Take Harden/Dwight out for 20+ games and THEN tell me they are going to be in the Playoffs. I don't need to read your nonsense. It's completely irrational. They are only two wins away from being in the 8th spot and with Anthony Davis being gone/PHX losing, they are in a good spot.

Exactly, and they pretty much lost every game when one of those guys was out. The Rockets still won games when they had injuries including Dwight Howard and continue to.

Was Harden+Howard out at the same time? I think not.

Goose17
02-11-2015, 07:30 PM
At this point, any answer not Harden is completely wrong. This man is showing us he's the next great SG. Starting from Jordan>Kobe>Wade>Harden, he's taking the torch now.

You went from that^

To...

2) Rockets are a joke because of two people; Dwight Howard and James Harden. Two complete clowns who will be exposed in the playoffs again. Granted, Harden is having an AMAZING regular season but every time in the Playoffs, he starts sleeping. In case you haven't heard, the Playoffs are completely different than the regular season. KD lights it up in the playoffs.

That^

How?

IKnowHoops
02-11-2015, 08:17 PM
You went from that^

To...

That^

How?

Not to pile on, but this is the epitome of what I'm talking about when I say its impossible to argue with you. It may be clear as day in your head what the above means, but anyone else is going to have a hard time figuring out where you stand on issues when you make statements that contrast so greatly.

brandt
02-12-2015, 12:27 AM
1) 27-25 record because Westbrook/KD were out.. Do you even realize that? Considering KD was out more games than played, I'd say we're in a pretty good position. Their record doesn't speak for their capability. Do you think the Warriors would rather play OKC or PHX?
3) Lmao, oh yeah, because Dwight = KD or Westbrook? Lmao. That's completely crap. Dwight's impact on that team is nothing compared to KD's impact. Not to mention Houston has a better roster than OKC. Don't know why you're comparing the incomparable.
4) What part of OKC losing games mainly due to Westbrook/KD's absence don't you understand? Take Harden/Dwight out for 20+ games and THEN tell me they are going to be in the Playoffs. I don't need to read your nonsense. It's completely irrational. They are only two wins away from being in the 8th spot and with Anthony Davis being gone/PHX losing, they are in a good spot.

Was Harden+Howard out at the same time? I think not.

Argue about nothing all you want. Again, your team isn't even seeded and you are in the West. Good luck catching up. lol.

brandt
02-12-2015, 12:35 AM
Clippers twice, Oklahoma City, Chicago, Portland, hot Detroit and Charlotte squads....yep, the cavs have just been beating scrubs here recently.

You didn't list the teams they beat that had losing records though. Way more than the ones with winning records. If they were in the West they wouldn't even be in the conversation.

Vee-Rex
02-12-2015, 01:06 AM
You didn't list the teams they beat that had losing records though. Way more than the ones with winning records. If they were in the West they wouldn't even be in the conversation.

I'm tired of clowns acting like winning versus losing teams is a BAD thing. It shows consistency and if you sprinkle some good teams in the mix then what is there to complain about?

Freakin Golden State almost lost tonight to Minnesota. What do we hear about it from PSD? Absolutely nothing besides, "Minny is tough when they want to be! They have youngsters playing well! Dubs played their 6th game in 9 nights!!!" blah blah blah.

Problem is, Minny is an NBA team. When they're at home and things are clicking, they're capable of beating a lot of good teams.

Atlanta just lost to Boston. In Boston. These 'chump' teams can sometimes play really hard and discrediting the Cavs for beating them is just hating.

Cavs have won by an average of around 13-14 points in their last 14 wins, having won 14 of their last 15 games. That's not counting the significant minutes LBJ and co. haven't gotten in the 4th quarter because they were winning by 20 or 30 or 40 points. They're not just beating these teams... they're destroying them. Some of those games are only won by 10-15 points but the true story is that the Cavs were winning by 20 or 25 going into the 4th, then sat their starters.

Cavs have beaten the Clippers twice (both with Blake), OKC, a Hornets team that was holding opponents to something insane like sub-80 points every game, Portland w/o LBJ, and Chicago (who didn't have Noah/Dunleavy though).

For once, stop hating and give a little cred where it's due. Not saying we're the best team in the league, just saying we're doing pretty damn good right now and are looking kinda dangerous.

brandt
02-12-2015, 01:38 AM
I'm tired of clowns acting like winning versus losing teams is a BAD thing. It shows consistency and if you sprinkle some good teams in the mix then what is there to complain about?

Freakin Golden State almost lost tonight to Minnesota. What do we hear about it from PSD? Absolutely nothing besides, "Minny is tough when they want to be! They have youngsters playing well! Dubs played their 6th game in 9 nights!!!" blah blah blah.

Problem is, Minny is an NBA team. When they're at home and things are clicking, they're capable of beating a lot of good teams.

Atlanta just lost to Boston. In Boston. These 'chump' teams can sometimes play really hard and discrediting the Cavs for beating them is just hating.

Cavs have won by an average of around 13-14 points in their last 14 wins, having won 14 of their last 15 games. That's not counting the significant minutes LBJ and co. haven't gotten in the 4th quarter because they were winning by 20 or 30 or 40 points. They're not just beating these teams... they're destroying them. Some of those games are only won by 10-15 points but the true story is that the Cavs were winning by 20 or 25 going into the 4th, then sat their starters.

Cavs have beaten the Clippers twice (both with Blake), OKC, a Hornets team that was holding opponents to something insane like sub-80 points every game, Portland w/o LBJ, and Chicago (who didn't have Noah/Dunleavy though).

For once, stop hating and give a little cred where it's due. Not saying we're the best team in the league, just saying we're doing pretty damn good right now and are looking kinda dangerous.

I'll give your team credit when they deserve it. Yes, they are playing well but It's only half way through the season. You don't have to listen to all the Rockets haters out there like I do, and look how well they are doing. That's why I think threads like this are stupid in the first place because It's too soon! Once they make it past the first round then your team will get the credit that they deserve from me.

Vee-Rex
02-12-2015, 01:43 AM
Eh, no team has been hated on more than the Cavs this year.

I come from a city where people disrespect and hate on all our sports teams... so yeah, I know what it's like even more than you. Besides, it's mainly about streaks and winning games in chunks. Rockets have hit their plateau with their team. Cavs haven't.

brandt
02-12-2015, 02:11 AM
Eh, no team has been hated on more than the Cavs this year.

I come from a city where people disrespect and hate on all our sports teams... so yeah, I know what it's like even more than you. Besides, it's mainly about streaks and winning games in chunks. Rockets have hit their plateau with their team. Cavs haven't.

Only reason people may hate Cleveland teams is because most Cleveand teams have sucked from the beginning of time, so there is actually a reason to hate them. People hate Houston teams just for the sake of hating them because they know it gets under our skin. And the Rockets have not hit their plateau yet, because their whole team especially their starters, haven't been heathly at one time the entire season.