PDA

View Full Version : A Question For Hawks Fans

ClutchTime
02-08-2015, 10:01 AM
This is coming from a Rockets fan and want to hear your thoughts.

I was listening to ESPN radio 98.7FM this morning and they were talking about "are the Hawks for real?" Then they went into if your down by 3 with a minute left in a playoff game, who has the ball in their hands and takes that drive to the basket? Who steps up in that final minute and takes over in a "LeBron", "Kobe" type way. The host was Ian O'Connor and he was saying he doesn't think the Hawks have "that" guy to take over the game in crunch time.

Not putting the Hawks down as they have extremely exceeded my expectations going into this season, but I'm just being honest and would like to hear Hawk fans prove me wrong.

Thanks.

NYKnickFanatic
02-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Milsap.

Sandman
02-08-2015, 10:10 AM
Al Horford is one of the most underrated players in the NBA and hits free throws at a 75% clip.

Feed him the rock.

KnicksorBust
02-08-2015, 10:23 AM

I was listening to ESPN radio 98.7FM this morning and they were talking about "are the Hawks for real?" Then they went into if your down by 3 with a minute left in a playoff game, who has the ball in their hands and takes that drive to the basket? Who steps up in that final minute and takes over in a "LeBron", "Kobe" type way. The host was Ian O'Connor and he was saying he doesn't think the Hawks have "that" guy to take over the game in crunch time.

Not putting the Hawks down as they have extremely exceeded my expectations going into this season, but I'm just being honest and would like to hear Hawk fans prove me wrong.

Thanks.

Whoever is hot? Teague, Horford, Millsap with Korver spacing the floor. Sounds tough to guard to me.

2-ONE-5
02-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Hawks forum

/thread

MrfadeawayJB
02-08-2015, 10:49 AM
They don't really need a "guy" they are like the spurs, they kill you with balance and ball/player movement. I'd assume there would be a Teague/Horford pick and roll situation at the end of the game.

Goose17
02-08-2015, 10:54 AM
They don't really need a "guy" they are like the spurs, they kill you with balance and ball/player movement.

This^

What makes them so good is they don't need "that" guy. Everyone is ready to do whatever is needed of them.

But if I HAD to pick someone from that team to have the ball in their hands with like 6 seconds on the clock it would either be Teague on the perimeter (not saying he would shoot it) or Horford in the post (for his play making ability from there).

Really though I don't think this is a concern for them.

D-Leethal
02-08-2015, 11:22 AM
This^

What makes them so good is they don't need "that" guy. Everyone is ready to do whatever is needed of them.

But if I HAD to pick someone from that team to have the ball in their hands with like 6 seconds on the clock it would either be Teague on the perimeter (not saying he would shoot it) or Horford in the post (for his play making ability from there).

Really though I don't think this is a concern for them.

Its easy to say that, but there are always going to be times you need a guy to score 1 on 1 late in a game. When the game gets sticky and your playing an elite defense you're not always going to run a set and get an open look - that's just reality. Even the Spurs have to rely on Tony to score in an iso or Tim to post late. An example of such a situation where the set comes up empty any you have to improvise would be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAuQL70pxAg

I would imagine the Hawks run something similar - set a few screens for Teague and let him improvise. Horford isn't really a guy you feed in the post, he is more of a pick and pop guy who likes to shoot jumpers but can't really create them himself.

Goose17
02-08-2015, 11:48 AM
I think Horford is a vastly underrated passer from the post. But maybe that's just me.

And yeah they will have those situations. But they do what they do on every other possession. Cuts, off ball movement, smart passing. Easy shots.

They don't need hero ball.

D-Leethal
02-08-2015, 12:32 PM
I think Horford is a vastly underrated passer from the post. But maybe that's just me.

And yeah they will have those situations. But they do what they do on every other possession. Cuts, off ball movement, smart passing. Easy shots.

They don't need hero ball.

Every team finds themselves in a situation late in a tight game where they need "hero ball". That includes the Spurs, that includes the Hawks, that includes Gene Hackman's Hoosiers.

When the clock is ticking you can't always time a set properly, there is not enough time for the misdirections, the cuts to develop, the lanes to open, and what do you do when the cutters are not open? If Korver movement leads to nothing? You need to improvise, or play "hero ball" as you say it. Your plays aren't always going to work, especially when the 4th quarter clock hits single digits.

"Easy shots" have a funny way of disappearing at the end of a tight game.

Goose17
02-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Every team finds themselves in a situation late in a tight game where they need "hero ball". That includes the Spurs, that includes the Hawks, that includes Gene Hackman's Hoosiers.

When the clock is ticking you can't always time a set properly, there is not enough time for the misdirections, the cuts to develop, the lanes to open, and what do you do when the cutters are not open? If Korver movement leads to nothing? You need to improvise, or play "hero ball" as you say it. Your plays aren't always going to work, especially when the 4th quarter clock hits single digits.

"Easy shots" have a funny way of disappearing at the end of a tight game.

No I know it happens. I'm saying they don't have to rely on it like other teams do. I mean when there's 5 seconds left on the clock or whatever sure. But "in the clutch" (as in the last 5 minutes of the game) they don't need to be doing anything different from what they've done all game.

That being said, I think they have a lot of guys capable of hitting clutch shots from all over the floor. Easy shots may disappear. Talent doesn't.

People seem to be underrating the Hawks talent due to their humble box scores (as a result of playing team ball) any one of these guys could light it up if the team needed them to.

D-Leethal
02-08-2015, 12:40 PM
No I know it happens. I'm saying they don't have to rely on it like other teams do. I mean when there's 5 seconds left on the clock or whatever sure. But "in the clutch" (as in the last 5 minutes of the game) they don't need to be doing anything different from what they've done all game.

That being said, I think they have a lot of guys capable of hitting clutch shots from all over the floor. Easy shots may disappear. Talent doesn't.

People seem to be underrating the Hawks talent due to their humble box scores (as a result of playing team ball) any one of these guys could light it up if the team needed them to.

I'm not talking about stats, I am talking about skillset. I appreciate the Hawks talent trust me. But I don't see a guy on the roster that can get you a bucket with those 5 seconds left, they will likely rely on Teague/Horford pick and roll in those situations, which is not a bad thing to rely on. Spurs are similar - they give the ball to TP or Manu and put them in a pick and roll situation since they don't really have an isolation scorer in the "hero" mold.

But as much as we all want to trash "hero ball", throughout a playoff run every single team is going to need a hero shot at some point. We've seen Manu do it, TP do it, Timmy do it, all in their own ways, but beautiful, selfless basketball doesn't lend itself to late game execution.

Goose17
02-08-2015, 01:10 PM
Teague is more than capable of it. He ruined Curry one on one. Only player I've seen do that this year.

Korver can hit 3s from the hot dog stand.

Millsap is a beast.

It's not an issue. Any of these guys are capable of hitting game winning shots from various places on the floor in various ways.

They'll be running off screens during the inbound, working to get guys open.

If Parker can do it. Teague can too.

Chronz
02-08-2015, 01:27 PM
Teague has become that guy IMO. Still, the less reliant you are on isolation basketball, the less likely you are to be in those tight situations. Teams like the Spurs and Mavs won chips while ranking among the worst in isolation offense.

Chronz
02-08-2015, 01:30 PM
Anyone know which offenses have ranked the best in the clutch this year?

kdspurman
02-08-2015, 01:35 PM
You don't always need a go to guy. You need a coach who will draw up a good play to get you the best shot. The Hawks have that, and capable players of executing late.

IversonIsKrazy
02-08-2015, 05:14 PM
Coach Bud allows them to not need that guy. Honestly, hero ball sucks. Like what's the avg "Hero-ball" % in late game situations. Ends up taking a difficult contested shot. For example the ROse game winner against GSW, love Rose and was glad to see him make that shot, but that was a horrible possession. All other 4 players just stood and watched. I saw Jimmy Butler with his hands on his hip like it was a timeout or something.

Im glad seeing teams like spurs and hawks reinventing TEAM bball, hate this hero crap. I hate watching a player standing still with the ball for 10 secs, then take a difficult shot.I don't care if he makes it, its a crap possession. Hawks are better off staying AWAY from hero-ball.

Besides, if play breaks down, u put Teague in a P&R with Horford, maybe a back screen for Korver at the same time. I'd much rather have that than my star player do nothing for 10 secs then pull up a difficult shot

Goose17
02-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Coach Bud allows them to not need that guy. Honestly, hero ball sucks. Like what's the avg "Hero-ball" % in late game situations. Ends up taking a difficult contested shot. For example the ROse game winner against GSW, love Rose and was glad to see him make that shot, but that was a horrible possession. All other 4 players just stood and watched. I saw Jimmy Butler with his hands on his hip like it was a timeout or something.

Im glad seeing teams like spurs and hawks reinventing TEAM bball, hate this hero crap. I hate watching a player standing still with the ball for 10 secs, then take a difficult shot.I don't care if he makes it, its a crap possession. Hawks are better off staying AWAY from hero-ball.

Besides, if play breaks down, u put Teague in a P&R with Horford, maybe a back screen for Korver at the same time. I'd much rather have that than my star player do nothing for 10 secs then pull up a difficult shot

Your name makes this post ironic.

D-Leethal
02-08-2015, 06:06 PM
You don't always need a go to guy. You need a coach who will draw up a good play to get you the best shot. The Hawks have that, and capable players of executing late.

Spurs have had plenty of hero ball moments in the past. You can design a set to get someone specific the ball in a specific spot but its still going to come down to scoring on your man 1v1 in that situation.

Nobody is saying "who do they have that can dribble the clock down for 10 seconds and iso at the end of the game", but it is a FACT that throughout playoff runs you will need hero ball moments. Your not gonna draw up a play and get a layup or get Kyle Korver a wide open shot against a great team at the end of a playoff game. Eventually, your gonna need a hero ball moment, just like the Spurs have in the past.

kdspurman
02-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Spurs have had plenty of hero ball moments in the past. You can design a set to get someone specific the ball in a specific spot but its still going to come down to scoring on your man 1v1 in that situation.

Nobody is saying "who do they have that can dribble the clock down for 10 seconds and iso at the end of the game", but it is a FACT that throughout playoff runs you will need hero ball moments. Your not gonna draw up a play and get a layup or get Kyle Korver a wide open shot against a great team at the end of a playoff game. Eventually, your gonna need a hero ball moment, just like the Spurs have in the past.

I think between Teague and Milsap (who had his fair share of big plays in Utah) are capable if it comes down to it. horford as well

I get plays break down, and you resort to plan B and C sometimes. but I think their players are smart enough to make the right play. I mean, at the end of the day, it's easier to game plan for a Durant iso or LeBron iso to finish a game than it is to game plan for the unexpected. now that doesn't mean it's easy to stop those guys cause it's not of course. but that element of not knowing who gets the last shot is a nice advantage to have imo. I've seen green/Leonard get open looks a lot at end of games cause the defenses focus on Parker/Many when they drive in.

Sanjay
02-08-2015, 07:05 PM

Thanks.

Also no disrespect to the Hawks, but I agree with O'Connor, this is the main problem I have with Atlanta. Nevertheless, I would give the ball to Teague with Korver out on the three-point line to take a bail-out long ball if needed. Alternatively, you could give the ball to Horford down low.

D-Leethal
02-08-2015, 07:18 PM
I think between Teague and Milsap (who had his fair share of big plays in Utah) are capable if it comes down to it. horford as well

I get plays break down, and you resort to plan B and C sometimes. but I think their players are smart enough to make the right play. I mean, at the end of the day, it's easier to game plan for a Durant iso or LeBron iso to finish a game than it is to game plan for the unexpected. now that doesn't mean it's easy to stop those guys cause it's not of course. but that element of not knowing who gets the last shot is a nice advantage to have imo. I've seen green/Leonard get open looks a lot at end of games cause the defenses focus on Parker/Many when they drive in.

Yea I mean I think the consensus is you give the ball to your best ball handler (Teague), put him in a pick and roll situation with your best player (Horford) and space that side of the court with your best shooter (Korver).

I just don't like that people assume because the Hawks play a selfless brand of basketball that the need for a go-to guy late in a game just disappears. Like it or not, hero ball or not, if your gonna win a championship, its likely that your gonna have to hit some tough, contested shots down the stretch of tight games in the playoffs to get it done.

kdspurman
02-08-2015, 07:45 PM
Yea I mean I think the consensus is you give the ball to your best ball handler (Teague), put him in a pick and roll situation with your best player (Horford) and space that side of the court with your best shooter (Korver).

I just don't like that people assume because the Hawks play a selfless brand of basketball that the need for a go-to guy late in a game just disappears. Like it or not, hero ball or not, if your gonna win a championship, its likely that your gonna have to hit some tough, contested shots down the stretch of tight games in the playoffs to get it done.

It helps to have someone who can hit big shots in big moments for sure. Sometimes guys need to be in that position to get that reputation. I guess like I said I feel Teague/Milsap can be those guys. But they'll have to prove it of course

Goose17
02-08-2015, 07:49 PM

Big shot bob was one of those guys and he was hardly a "go to guy" in general terms.

WadeKobe
02-08-2015, 08:44 PM

Thanks.

This is why I don't come in the NBA forum anymore. The Spurs proves you don't need a high usage scorer, and now the Hawks are following suit and people act like it is bad.

Why would having one guy to force feed the ball be better than running a good play that has made the Hawks so good offensively in the first place?

I can't wait until people finally ignore usage and points.

D-Leethal
02-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Big shot bob was one of those guys and he was hardly a "go to guy" in general terms.

Big Shot Bob was an anomaly. Dude found himself in the right place at the right time more than anyone in the history of the game.

The majority of Big Shot Bob heroics seemed to come off broken plays, not set play design.

D-Leethal
02-08-2015, 08:59 PM
This is why I don't come in the NBA forum anymore. The Spurs proves you don't need a high usage scorer, and now the Hawks are following suit and people act like it is bad.

Why would having one guy to force feed the ball be better than running a good play that has made the Hawks so good offensively in the first place?

I can't wait until people finally ignore usage and points.

Because good plays have a funny way of drying up at the end of the game against an elite, playoff caliber defense.

Nobody is saying they need a high usage scorer, we are saying they need a perimeter threat who can make a tough contested shot when those good plays do dry up and the good sets come up empty - because its a given they will enter those scenarios in the playoffs.

What works for 47 minutes doesn't alway work for the 48th. Thats just the reality of sports. As a great offense you try and never let the defense get set in the half court. For the final play of a one possession game the defense is always going to be set in the half court.

Nobody is saying they should deviate from their current style of play or force feed a perimeter scorer in isolation, but the fact that they do not have a guy on the roster with that type of skill set could get exposed in the playoffs.

You bring up the Spurs but ignore that they iso'ed Ginobili for a game winner last year against GSW in the playoffs and iso'ed Tony Parker at the end of an empty set against Miami in game 1 of the Finals. They have posted Tim and cleared out before as we saw down the stretch of the 0.4 second game (he had an identical game winner last year but I forget when). Those are just a few examples that are easy to remember off the top of my head to illustrate that they do it too, everyone does in certain situations.

Vee-Rex
02-08-2015, 09:16 PM
Because good plays have a funny way of drying up at the end of the game against an elite, playoff caliber defense.

Nobody is saying they need a high usage scorer, we are saying they need a perimeter threat who can make a tough contested shot when those good plays do dry up and the good sets come up empty - because its a given they will enter those scenarios in the playoffs.

What works for 47 minutes doesn't alway work for the 48th. Thats just the reality of sports. As a great offense you try and never let the defense get set in the half court. For the final play of a one possession game the defense is always going to be set in the half court.

Nobody is saying they should deviate from their current style of play or force feed a perimeter scorer in isolation, but the fact that they do not have a guy on the roster with that type of skill set could get exposed in the playoffs.

You bring up the Spurs but ignore that they iso'ed Ginobili for a game winner last year against GSW in the playoffs and iso'ed Tony Parker at the end of an empty set against Miami in game 1 of the Finals. They have posted Tim and cleared out before as we saw down the stretch of the 0.4 second game (he had an identical game winner last year but I forget when). Those are just a few examples that are easy to remember off the top of my head to illustrate that they do it too, everyone does in certain situations.

I agree, and it's primarily because of the intense moments in the playoffs. Hawks won't have a full 24 seconds on the shot clock to run plays and get players open. Sometimes, they'll only have 6.5 seconds or 2.1 seconds after a timeout, at which point it helps to have a clutch go-to player that can hit a perimeter shot. Whether or not Teague is that man remains to be seen.

I honestly don't think it's as big of a deal as people say but there's no denying that having a go-to player at the end of games is a positive thing, not negative.

*Silver&Black*
02-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Teague. Korver for 3.

nastynice
02-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Whoever is hot? Teague, Horford, Millsap with Korver spacing the floor. Sounds tough to guard to me.

exactly. This is what makes them so damn good

D-Leethal
02-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Last three possessions in a tie game - 6-0 run for Memphis:

- Millsap TO trying to score 1v1 in the post
- Korver TO trying to run a handoff at the top of the key as part of a set to get him the ball
- Teague and Millsap PnR comes up empty, Teague is forced into a contested floater over multiple defenders at the end of the clock

I have tried to explain why HOF NBA coaches choose to iso there best players at the end of a tight game, and its not because they are brain dead. It is because they are guaranteeing themselves a look at the rim with their best player. You try and run these cute plays and misdirections against an elite D down the stretch and most of the time it will look like the above and you might not even get a shot off, let alone a quality shot with a chance to go in.

kdspurman
02-08-2015, 09:40 PM

- Korver TO trying to run a handoff at the top of the key as part of a set to get him the ball
- Teague and Millsap PnR comes up empty, Teague is forced into a contested floater over multiple defenders at the end of the clock

I have tried to explain why HOF NBA coaches choose to iso there best players at the end of a tight game, and its not because they are brain dead. It is because they are guaranteeing themselves a look at the rim with their best player. You try and run these cute plays and misdirections against an elite D down the stretch and most of the time it will look like the above and you might not even get a shot off, let alone a quality shot with a chance to go in.

I don't know this for sure, but I'd be willing to bet the Hawks have also had games where their execution was fine late and in crunch time against elite defenses. It's just one game, the Spurs have had games like that too. There's also been games where an iso player doesn't get it done (like Durant Friday night, had 2 chances late and missed) works both ways. Of course with the iso guys you're more likely to get a shot off, but it's not always a good shot

Minimal
02-08-2015, 10:50 PM
Theres a bigger chance at finding those 2 Hawks fans in the Hawks forum than here.

WadeKobe
02-08-2015, 11:07 PM

I agree with the broken play theory, but if history proves anything, it is that there have only been a handful of guys, 3 or 4, ever, who have been able to shoot any more than a random luck % in those situations. Kobe is what, 24%? LeBron about 35?

The reality is, they probably have a handful of guys who could do well enough. Last second go to guys are such an overrated feature. I agree with your reasoning, but history proves they are randomly effective at best, and downright ineffective at worst.

apocalypse15
02-08-2015, 11:54 PM
The question seems to be asked as if there was always only one player on any give team to take the shot. Sure the easy decision is a specific "great player" but it all depends on a great team. Nobody was or will every be perfect. I like the Hawks team this year because they are all around good. No great player won it every single time on a game winning shot, so why give them that credit? Give the damn team credit. Or let Jordan shoot lol joking but seriously.... Go look up most game winning shots and I am sure most of the dudes atop the list are not the greatest ever to have played..

apocalypse15
02-09-2015, 12:00 AM
Theres a bigger chance at finding those 2 Hawks fans in the Hawks forum than here.

Or maybe the 3 Heat fans left. It is Heat btw not HEAT, just because a jersey uses cap letters. Wasn't sure if you were one of those kinda fans.

If caps are in effect capitalize the #*&@ out of us all please, and make that every time you mention another franchise, not just the CELTICS.....

Actually all Heat fans must draw a spur onto the Spurs name every time they say it.

torocan
02-09-2015, 12:22 AM

Uh, you do realize that 3/4 last plays by Memphis was role players/non Superstars?

Tony Allen - 2 point shot
Jeff Green 2/2 from the line
Mike Conley - lay up
Marc Gasol - 2/2 from the line

Not exactly the most convincing example/argument given that Memphis didn't go anywhere near ISO ball. And don't even get me started on the whole Sample Size thing...

Coaches tend to go with Superstar ISO because it's a "safe" decision from an employment point of view. Nobody ever gets fired for giving the ball to Melo even if he misses 21 consecutive shots at the end of contested games. They DO get fired for giving the ball to a role player who misses those same shots.

The only time it's different is when the Coach has sufficient manager/owner buy in (like Popovich) to make those unconventional decisions.

ThuglifeJ
02-09-2015, 12:43 AM
So who is this mysterious Spurs isolation, game on the line, hero? I'd like to hear it? Please don't say Manu because I don't think I've seen Manu get the ball 3 straight possessions and call for an isolation (lol). Yes, I have seen many Manu pick n whatever plays in the final seconds..I've also seen Parker come off curls and then keep penetrating to find an open guy from whomever collapsed, I've also seen the ball end up in Duncans hands for a mid range shot or a parker pnr...I've also seen them misdirect a defense into thinking Manu was going to get it off a screen from Duncan but really a screener was setting a screen for Duncan to come off his screen and be Wide open under the basket (who remembers that play? that was sick)

Spurs always draw up some savvy play at the end of games, they don't have "that guy" with the game on the line.

Hawks don't either and they can do the same things with their terrific coach. Teague, while I'm not a fan of, is very capable of securing the ball for a PnR final play or having Korver run around a bunch of screens or be faking it to Korver for something. Or post up Horford, idk..I dont really think posting up Horford or running a play through Teague is really that horrible for a team's playoff success in the final moments than a Tracy McGrady jab step dribble pull up game winner attempt. They both can work, but I wouldn't say one is necessarily better than the other which so many seem to believe.

and this is coming from a guy who's all favorite players were usually ''hero'' ballers.

SportsFanatic10
02-09-2015, 08:48 AM
Or maybe the 3 Heat fans left. It is Heat btw not HEAT, just because a jersey uses cap letters. Wasn't sure if you were one of those kinda fans.

If caps are in effect capitalize the #*&@ out of us all please, and make that every time you mention another franchise, not just the CELTICS.....

Actually all Heat fans must draw a spur onto the Spurs name every time they say it.

lol wow someone gets annoyed easily.

as for the thread team ball is better than hero ball. i don't think the hawks have to worry about this regardless tho with players like teague, horford, milsap, and korver.

Trueblue2
02-09-2015, 05:12 PM
Feed horford or find milsap or Korver with an open look. Teague could find one of those three in a good position to take a big shot. Having 3 guys capable of hitting a big shot at a given time makes up for not having an ISO scorer to take over.

JustinTime
02-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Haha Hawks have no fans. Three pages in and I don't think one actual Hawks fan has replied.

*Silver&Black*
02-09-2015, 06:53 PM
Haha Hawks have no fans. Three pages in and I don't think one actual Hawks fan has replied.

Yes we have.