PDA

View Full Version : Karl and Kings a good fit ? Cousins doesn't think so

Stunner
02-07-2015, 06:37 PM
DeMarcus Cousins' camp has been "against the notion of adding [George] Karl," according to USA Today's Sam Amick.
"Cousins' day-to-day agent, Jarrin Akana, worked with Karl in Denver and was re-assigned from assistant coach to scout when Karl took over for coach Jeff Bzdelik in 2005," Amick said in his report. "Dan Fegan, Cousins' lead agent, represented Karl's son, Coby, as a player for years before he was eventually replaced." Cousins was a fan of Mike Malone, but the team didn't hesitate to dump him even after DMC missed time due to an illness. Karl still has a very good chance to be hired, but the franchise seems fully committed to Cousins should he be more vocal about not bringing Karl aboard

What a goof

Tony_Starks
02-07-2015, 06:47 PM
How's he a goof when he hasn't said anything? You believe everything you hear? Like tmz?

Stunner
02-07-2015, 06:51 PM
How's he a goof when he hasn't said anything? You believe everything you hear? Like tmz?

Based off cousins history of speaking on people I'm more inclined to think he must have said something .

Stunner
02-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Sam Amick also reporting

@sam_amick: More on the Kings/George Karl front: on how the DeMarcus Cousins (& his camp) component factors in right now - http://t.co/XU5fUdjeht

IBleedPurple
02-07-2015, 08:23 PM
Not a good fit. Plus, Karl is notorious for getting teams to the wasteland of the NBA....playoffs and losing.

Stunner
02-07-2015, 08:24 PM
Not a good fit. Plus, Karl is notorious for getting teams to the wasteland of the NBA....playoffs and losing.

That's more the kings have done in a decade

eibbor
02-07-2015, 09:02 PM
lmao @ people trying to say.. Oh, DMC didn't even say anything yada yada. Things get LEAKED on purpose.

Sure it kinda sucks that DMC doesn't have the balls to come out and say it, but it wouldn't have even come out if he didn't.

Anyway, he's right for his feelings. The George Karl nut huggers might hate to hear it, but here is how his last 11 years of coaching went...

Lost in the Conference Finals once. Good job getting there. Besides that year... Count em

Lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Just because DMC is way overrated and is a mental case doesn't make him wrong...

Stunner
02-07-2015, 11:00 PM
@WojYahooNBA: Sources: Rapidly diminishing belief within factions - Kings, George Karl and DeMarcus Cousins' camps - that Karl becomes Sacramento's coach.

Stunner
02-07-2015, 11:10 PM
@WojYahooNBA: Sources: Resolution one way or another by Sunday, but w/o hiring of Karl, Kings prepared to play out season with Ty Corbin as interim.

JAZZNC
02-07-2015, 11:15 PM
lmao @ people trying to say.. Oh, DMC didn't even say anything yada yada. Things get LEAKED on purpose.

Sure it kinda sucks that DMC doesn't have the balls to come out and say it, but it wouldn't have even come out if he didn't.

Anyway, he's right for his feelings. The George Karl nut huggers might hate to hear it, but here is how his last 11 years of coaching went...

Lost in the Conference Finals once. Good job getting there. Besides that year... Count em

Just because DMC is way overrated and is a mental case doesn't make him wrong...
When did he really have the talent to do much better?

And don't say Iverson/Anthony.

goingfor28
02-07-2015, 11:23 PM

Boogie is not "way overrated"

Stunner
02-07-2015, 11:24 PM
@WojYahooNBA: Yahoo Sources: The resistance to George Karl hiring by Cousins' camp has stalled talks and given sides pause about pushing through on deal.

Stunner
02-07-2015, 11:30 PM
@WojYahooNBA: Yahoo Sources: Contract terms not the issue between Sacramento and George Karl. They were closing gap on years and money this afternoon.

Sadds The Gr8
02-07-2015, 11:39 PM
Lol what a mess Sacramento is if this is true

Tony_Starks
02-08-2015, 02:25 AM

Cousins doesn't strike me as the type to hold his tongue. He spoke on Maloney getting fired and if he didn't want Karl I'm pretty sure he would let that be known too.

And if the Kings were to make the playoffs even 2 years straight they'd probably throw a parade like they won the Superbowl.....

5ass
02-08-2015, 02:48 AM
Karl is interested in coaching the magic. Where do you guys see the better fit?

Stunner
02-08-2015, 02:57 AM

Magic

colinskik
02-08-2015, 03:05 AM
Hopefully they hire George because that boy Boogie needs to get out of Sacramento.

JasonJohnHorn
02-08-2015, 03:12 AM
First, Karl is a great coach. With the exception of his last season in Denver, he won every series he should have won.

You look at what Melo was able to do in the West WITH Karl, and look at how poorly he's done in the EAST without him. That is all the evidence you need. The East is far weaker, yet Melo is in the lottery in back-to-back seasons. Never happened in Denver, even with a hugely competitive West.

People who say Karl lost all those first round series... yeah... against THE LAKERS. He lost to better teams. We are talking about the Lakers, Spurs, hey-day Suns, the Mavs.... these were better teams.

Karl has gotten to the conference finals with his last three teams. Who else can say that in this league?

That said.. I say no on the Kings. Karl should hold out until the offseason. When he had Melo, he wanted a passer... if he waits to see what opens up, he may very well end up with Kevin Durant and Westy and THAT is much more suited to his coaching style.

I don't think DMC would thrive with Karl (I could be wrong). Karl has seldom made the post players a HUGE part of his offense. Even Kemp never scored as much as 20 a game under Karl, and he's regarded as an athletic post scorer with likely more versatility than DMC. AND Kemp was playing at a time when post scoring was highly valued and any number of bigs were getting 20/10. But who knows, maybe Karl could adapt.

I think Karl would be far more suited to a team like Cleveland or OKC.

TL;DR Karl is great, but should go for OKC of CLE, not suited for DMC.

slashsnake
02-08-2015, 04:15 AM
First, Karl is a great coach. With the exception of his last season in Denver, he won every series he should have won.

You look at what Melo was able to do in the West WITH Karl, and look at how poorly he's done in the EAST without him. That is all the evidence you need. The East is far weaker, yet Melo is in the lottery in back-to-back seasons. Never happened in Denver, even with a hugely competitive West.

People who say Karl lost all those first round series... yeah... against THE LAKERS. He lost to better teams. We are talking about the Lakers, Spurs, hey-day Suns, the Mavs.... these were better teams.

Karl has gotten to the conference finals with his last three teams. Who else can say that in this league?

While maybe he shouldn't have beaten the Clippers I think that series should have been closer in 06. Jazz series in 2010. 21-38 for him with the Nuggets in the playoffs. I don't think that's very good. Lots of series they weren't even close in..

Now I think a lot of that is due to how they were constructed. My thoughts...

1. deep deep team with decent starters. They went 10-11 deep with decent guys. Nice in the regular season, but when benches shrink in the post-season another teams stars get more minutes, and that edge goes away.

2. Teams didn't try to beat them at home a lot. 5 game road trip and Nuggets are the first on a back to back. Do you run your team into the ground trying to keep up and wear them out on that trip or no? Lots of teams would rest rather than try to push all 48 minutes. Playoffs that didn't happen and the Nuggets fast breaks became a lot less consistent.

I'd love to see him with a talented team, not sure he will, but that would be my hope. I think he's a great coach. Usually I understand the bit about if you aren't improving and not winning in the post-season change probably will come. But I was fine with 3-4 months of great exciting basketball even if the month of the playoffs ended a bit early. He's probably the one case I wanted to see a coach like that stay.

Agree on the post scoring bit. With Kmart (when healthy at times early) and Nene later who had some great post play, he'd go down to them 5 of the first 10 or so plays, then not again till the start of the 2nd half for a bit and that would be it. He fed Glenn Robinson there a bit for his mismatches, and old John Barry Carroll early in his coaching career but that's really it outside of Kemp a bit.

One thing he does really well is keep the ball moving, and keeps the team working together. He had a lot of odd hotheads in Denver and always seemed to make things work. While the team didn't have stars outside of Melo and a bit with AI, they had a group of guys that passed the ball well.

Sactown
02-08-2015, 12:41 PM
I love how you say Sacramento when its his agent who's trying to push Karl away because of passed issues..

If they wanted to make sure cousins was happy with the coach they wouldn't of fired Malone..

Also go look at cousins post game comments last night... Clearly this isn't about him

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-08-2015, 12:47 PM

Thought Scott Skiles was lead candidate for Magic?

JasonJohnHorn
02-08-2015, 02:21 PM
While maybe he shouldn't have beaten the Clippers I think that series should have been closer in 06. Jazz series in 2010. 21-38 for him with the Nuggets in the playoffs. I don't think that's very good. Lots of series they weren't even close in..

1. deep deep team with decent starters. They went 10-11 deep with decent guys. Nice in the regular season, but when benches shrink in the post-season another teams stars get more minutes, and that edge goes away.

2. Teams didn't try to beat them at home a lot. 5 game road trip and Nuggets are the first on a back to back. Do you run your team into the ground trying to keep up and wear them out on that trip or no? Lots of teams would rest rather than try to push all 48 minutes. Playoffs that didn't happen and the Nuggets fast breaks became a lot less consistent.

I'd love to see him with a talented team, not sure he will, but that would be my hope. I think he's a great coach. Usually I understand the bit about if you aren't improving and not winning in the post-season change probably will come. But I was fine with 3-4 months of great exciting basketball even if the month of the playoffs ended a bit early. He's probably the one case I wanted to see a coach like that stay.

Agree on the post scoring bit. With Kmart (when healthy at times early) and Nene later who had some great post play, he'd go down to them 5 of the first 10 or so plays, then not again till the start of the 2nd half for a bit and that would be it. He fed Glenn Robinson there a bit for his mismatches, and old John Barry Carroll early in his coaching career but that's really it outside of Kemp a bit.

One thing he does really well is keep the ball moving, and keeps the team working together. He had a lot of odd hotheads in Denver and always seemed to make things work. While the team didn't have stars outside of Melo and a bit with AI, they had a group of guys that passed the ball well.

This sounds about right to me.

There are some series where he got swept where he likely should have won a game or two, but at the same time, when you are playing against PJax, Kobe, Pau and Bynum... well, there's not much you can do about that.

I like your assessment though. It seems to be pretty much spot on.

ManningToTyree
02-08-2015, 02:36 PM
Karl is incredibly overrated as a coach. I don't blame boogie

IBleedPurple
02-08-2015, 02:39 PM

One thing he does really well is keep the ball moving, and keeps the team working together. He had a lot of odd hotheads in Denver and always seemed to make things work. While the team didn't have stars outside of Melo and a bit with AI, they had a group of guys that passed the ball well.Solid as usual slashsnake. I'd gladly take the Karl led Nuggets over Shaw's awful coaching, albeit with (another) banged up roster.

RLundi
02-08-2015, 02:51 PM
Good, I want the Magic to snag him.

RLundi
02-08-2015, 02:52 PM
Thought Scott Skiles was lead candidate for Magic?

Dear God, please no.

Stunner
02-08-2015, 04:16 PM
@WojYahooNBA: Sources: Sacramento, George Karl talks have been twisting road, but GM Pete D'Allesandro's determination to reach deal is keeping it alive.

Crackadalic
02-08-2015, 05:35 PM

That said.. I say no on the Kings. Karl should hold out until the offseason. When he had Melo, he wanted a passer... if he waits to see what opens up, he may very well end up with Kevin Durant and Westy and THAT is much more suited to his coaching style.

I don't think DMC would thrive with Karl (I could be wrong). Karl has seldom made the post players a HUGE part of his offense. Even Kemp never scored as much as 20 a game under Karl, and he's regarded as an athletic post scorer with likely more versatility than DMC. AND Kemp was playing at a time when post scoring was highly valued and any number of bigs were getting 20/10. But who knows, maybe Karl could adapt.

I think Karl would be far more suited to a team like Cleveland or OKC.

TL;DR Karl is great, but should go for OKC of CLE, not suited for DMC.

How can you use that argument for the coach but not for Melo. We all get the flawed superstar but lets not act like Melo didn't faced the Celtics without his best two players, The Miami Heat best team of their 4 year run, and The pacers that took the Heat to 7 games in the Conference finals. It's just bad management on the roster the last two years in NY

Now Back to Karl I just don't think his style of basketball is good enough to win a chip in the nba. If he had tweak the offense a bit he would have had one more games in the 1st round at most

koreancabbage
02-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Cousins doesn't think so?

does this guy ever think?!

Sactown
02-09-2015, 06:31 AM
thread is misleading Cousins AGENTS are not fond of Karl because he demoted them when they were involved with Denver has Nothing to do with Cousins

mike_noodles
02-09-2015, 07:59 AM
Beautiful. Hire Karl. DMC becomes disgruntled. Ship him to us. Perfect.

Stunner
02-09-2015, 07:20 PM
@WojYahooNBA: Yahoo Sources: Sacramento, George Karl progressing on four-year deal worth between $4M-$5M annually to become coach. http://t.co/evZRlXsmq7