PDA

View Full Version : At what point should we start worrying about OKC making the playoffs?

mightybosstone
02-07-2015, 11:53 AM
I think the vast majority of the people in these forums this season (myself included) have been taking the "Thunder have plenty of time" approach to their struggles. And after starting off 5-13, they seemed to have righted the ship back in mid-December by getting Westy and Durant back, winning their next seven and climbing back to within a game of .500 at 12-13.

Except, they didn't right the ship. Durant got hurt again in that Golden State loss and they fall back to 15-17 before he comes back again. And you'd think they would have made a serious run by now to take the 8th seed, except they didn't. Since then, they've gone only 10-8 with six of those losses by double digits. I was at the game against Houston, and they just didn't look like the same team from previous years.

Sure, Durant has missed some more time with nagging little injuries, but they even went 3-1 in those four games, so that's not the problem. There seems to be something fundamentally broken with the Thunder right now, and with that loss last night to New Orleans, they're three games out of the 8th seed with two teams ahead of them for last playoff spot.

We could debate all day what's wrong with the Thunder, but I think the more important question right now is whether or not they're going to make the playoffs at all. Even with Phoenix playing pedestrian basketball lately, the Thunder haven't been able to take advantage. And although they're only three games back, they have to contend with both Phoenix and New Orleans for that last spot with 32 games left to play.

So where does everyone stand on this? Am I the only one in the "Thunder should be seriously worried" camp, or is everyone still thinking there's more than enough time to fix this? And if you do believe there's plenty of time, at what point should we start worrying about them not getting into the postseason?

dalton749
02-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Delete Scott brooks

valade16
02-07-2015, 01:09 PM
I think they will still get the 8th seed but it is taking longer than I thought it would for them to climb back. Still, 32 games left is an eternity. I still think they make it.

D-Leethal
02-07-2015, 01:17 PM
They aren't gonna make the playoffs. That much seems obvious to me at this point. Too many holes in the roster and one more injury to KD/Westy/Ibaka and the deal is sealed. Harden trade was one of the biggest disasters of all time, and it might have taken a few years but its gonna lead to KD and Westy leaving eventually.

Vampirate
02-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Dion Waiters' inefficiency is counter productive to Kevin Durant's efficiency.

Kinda odd to have one of the most inefficient and efficient players on the same team.

Kaner
02-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Idk still think they catch Phoenix but the team looks so mediocre. Ibaka's better, Westbrooks better, Durants still amazing when healthy but they still can't beat good teams and look to be outgunned surprisingly often.

Barring an impressive playoff push that I don't see happening this the season that gets Scott Brooks fired?

goingfor28
02-07-2015, 01:43 PM
Now. They aren't going to get in imo

D-Leethal
02-07-2015, 01:50 PM
Idk still think they catch Phoenix but the team looks so mediocre. Ibaka's better, Westbrooks better, Durants still amazing when healthy but they still can't beat good teams and look to be outgunned surprisingly often.

Barring an impressive playoff push that I don't see happening this the season that gets Scott Brooks fired?

Everyone got better, they stayed the same and were content trying to make "cute" moves to avoid shelling out big bucks and stay competitive. It didn't work, that doesn't work.

kobe4thewinbang
02-07-2015, 02:02 PM
One more injury aggravation, and they're done. If they stay healthy, they could make it in but I don't see them rising above the 8 seed. And honestly, with how fickle OKC plays, they might knock out the Warriors.

koreancabbage
02-07-2015, 02:04 PM
i thought the majority of the people here said they weren't going to make the playoffs.

D-Leethal
02-07-2015, 02:29 PM
One more injury aggravation, and they're done. If they stay healthy, they could make it in but I don't see them rising above the 8 seed. And honestly, with how fickle OKC plays, they might knock out the Warriors.

Even a 2 week sprain to one of KD, WB, SI ends their season at this point. West is too competitive on a nightly basis.

RLundi
02-07-2015, 02:43 PM
They'll get in. They look mediocre but I'm never ready to dismiss Westbrook. Dude's a freaking pit bull. As soon as Durant gets fully healthy, they'll overtake Phoenix and New Orleans.

Speaking of, Phoenix is doing no favors to themselves at all. I'd pick the Pelicans to get the 8th spot before I'd pick the Suns. I liked them better last year but they've regressed some. I think they lost that last spot quickly, to either the Thunder or the Pelicans.

diu9leilomo
02-07-2015, 03:39 PM
they not getting in, people are underrating suns and pels. Most important its the damn west, every game is a playoff game

BKdoubleStacker
02-07-2015, 04:31 PM
I think they hit their peak and their management and coaching has crumbled. I have no idea why they held on to Reggie Jackson when they could trade him for something for the future. Not to mention I think their locker room/chemistry has most likely been a mess

Goose17
02-07-2015, 04:52 PM
Hate to say I told you so...

mightybosstone
02-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Hate to say I told you so...

It's a little early to start playing the "I told you so" card. The Thunder are struggling, but there's still 32 games left in the season. It's still very possible they end up in the playoffs and make a run.

Goose17
02-07-2015, 05:07 PM
It's a little early to start playing the "I told you so" card. The Thunder are struggling, but there's still 32 games left in the season. It's still very possible they end up in the playoffs and make a run.

True. I never said they definitely wouldn't make it though. They came back and went on that seven game streak, I said they had beaten a bunch of nobodies aside from one or two of the wins. And that getting back into the playoffs wouldn't be easy and they might not make it all.

Meanwhile I was ridiculed and told that by this time they would be a 7th seed at least.

So... hate to say...

Tony_Starks
02-07-2015, 05:14 PM
At no point. Phoenix isn't very good, the Pelicans aren't very good sans all world performances by AD. It would be nothing short of a miracle if they don't get minimum 8th spot. Once they get KD and Russell on the floor they can reel off 10 straight, the other teams can't....

Goose17
02-07-2015, 05:28 PM
Once they get KD and Russell on the floor they can reel off 10 straight, the other teams can't....

They do have both of them on the floor and have done for a while now. What are they waiting on exactly? Permission from Brooks to go on a 10 game winning streak? Is Westbrook refusing to go on one until Lamb gives him that high five?

Tony_Starks
02-07-2015, 05:33 PM
Once they get KD and Russell on the floor they can reel off 10 straight, the other teams can't....

They do have both of them on the floor and have done for a while now. What are they waiting on exactly? Permission from Brooks to go on a 10 game winning streak? Is Westbrook refusing to go on one until Lamb gives him that high five?

What games have you been watching? KD has constantly been in and out of the lineup. He's currently out BTW....

Goose17
02-07-2015, 05:43 PM
What games have you been watching? KD has constantly been in and out of the lineup. He's currently out BTW....

So he didn't drop 27 points last night in a losing effort to the Pelicans, who "aren't very good" anyway? Did I hallucinate that?

Quit acting like they haven't been on the court together. KD has missed four of the last eighteen games. In the 14 games he's played they're 7-7. Westbrook played all those games with KD.

Yes they still have a great chance at making the playoffs but let's not pretend they can just rattle off ten consecutive wins like it's nothing.

tredigs
02-07-2015, 05:46 PM
Still being .500 at this point is putting them in a huge bind. @Starks, you say they can rattle off 10 straight, and they can (and they'll have to), but when? The team is about as healthy as it can get and they're 5-5 their last 10. At 25-25 overall right now, and it's possible they'll need to go 24-8 throughout the rest of the year to get in.

Here's some of their final games - and remember they can't afford to lose more than 8:

2/8: Clippers
2/9: @Nuggets (road b2b has to be mentioned by default)
2/11: Memphis

ASB (ideally they take the time off to rest and practice, but KD and Westbrook will be competing)

2/19: Dallas
2/21: @Charlotte (one of those sneaky tough road games with how they've been playing lately)

2/26: @Phoenix (a game you know the Suns will be going 110% in)
2/27: @Portland (coming off the high energy game in Phoenix, very likely an L)

3/5: @Chicago (with a game the day before)
3/8: Raptors
3/11: Clippers

3/15: Bulls
3/16: @Dallas (road b2b)

3/20: Hawks

3/25: @San Antonio
3/29: @Phoenix

4/1: Dallas
4/3: @Memphis
4/5: Houston
4/7: San Antonio
4/13: Portland

Those are 20 tough matchups that they need to crush at a ~60-65% clip, as well as win every other "should-win" game in order to get to 49 wins.

Tony_Starks
02-07-2015, 05:55 PM

So he didn't drop 27 points last night in a losing effort to the Pelicans, who "aren't very good" anyway? Did I hallucinate that?

Quit acting like they haven't been on the court together. KD has missed four of the last eighteen games. In the 14 games he's played they're 7-7. Westbrook played all those games with KD.

Yes they still have a great chance at making the playoffs but let's not pretend they can just rattle off ten consecutive wins like it's nothing.

Riddle me this: what's the most amount of games KD and Westbrook have CONSECUTIVELY played together this season?

That's my point.

Goose17
02-07-2015, 06:02 PM
Riddle me this: what's the most amount of games KD and Westbrook have CONSECUTIVELY played together this season?

That's my point.

Yeah. Sorry bro. It's not much of a point. You act like they're super heroes or something, like when they are within 20 feet of each other they turn into some unstoppable force.

If they're going to win 10 in a row what are they waiting on? They played 10 consecutive games together before he sat out a couple so why didn't they just flip this imaginary switch and win them all? It's that easy right?

Tony_Starks
02-07-2015, 06:10 PM

That's my point.

Yeah. Sorry bro. It's not much of a point. You act like they're super heroes or something, like when they are within 20 feet of each other they turn into some unstoppable force.

If they're going to win 10 in a row what are they waiting on? They played 10 consecutive games together before he sat out a couple so why didn't they just flip this imaginary switch and win them all? It's that easy right?

I asked a simple question, I'll repeat: what's the most amount of games they've consecutively been on the floor this season?

Goose17
02-07-2015, 06:19 PM
I asked a simple question, I'll repeat: what's the most amount of games they've consecutively been on the floor this season?

Why don't you look it up?. But they have played ten games in a row together so why didn't they just win them all since it's so easy for them to win ten games in a row when they're on the court together?

The answer is 12 btw. And in those 12 they went 7-5. But of course in the next 10 they'll go 10-0.

Who knew that when they shared the floor together they oozed out some magical powers that crippled opponents ligaments and guided their own shots into the net repeatedly. How many games do they need to play together before they go on an infinite winning streak? Have you done the calculations?

:rolleyes:

How about you answer my question, you said Durant is out. Did he not play last night?

You said they could win 10 games like it was nothing, what are they waiting on?

BKLYNpigeon
02-07-2015, 06:31 PM
They won't make it unless they make a trade.

Tony_Starks
02-07-2015, 06:31 PM

Why don't you look it up?. But they have played ten games in a row together so why didn't they just win them all since it's so easy for them to win ten games in a row when they're on the court together?

The answer is 12 btw. And in those 12 they went 7-5. But of course in the next 10 they'll go 10-0.

Who knew that when they shared the floor together they oozed out some magical powers that crippled opponents ligaments and guided their own shots into the net repeatedly. How many games do they need to play together before they go on an infinite winning streak? Have you done the calculations?

:rolleyes:

How about you answer my question, you said Durant is out. Did he not play last night?

You said they could win 10 games like it was nothing, what are they waiting on?

By my mathematic calculations and equations, basketball intuition, and the strategic alignment of the moon and stars if they are allowed to play 15 games together consecutively there will be a minimum of a 10 game win streak.

I'll give you a friendly reminder when they hit 10, don't trip...

Goose17
02-07-2015, 06:45 PM
By my mathematic calculations and equations, basketball intuition, and the strategic alignment of the moon and stars if they are allowed to play 15 games together consecutively there will be a minimum of a 10 game win streak.

So if Durant had played three more they would have won their next ten? Excellent.

Goose17
02-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Let's just ignore them dropping games to teams like Sacramento.

Tony_Starks
02-07-2015, 06:49 PM

So if Durant had played three more they would have won their next ten? Excellent.

Excellent indeed. Thank me later.

DanG
02-07-2015, 07:04 PM
I was pretty sure earlier that they would make the playoffs, but right now, I'm not really sure. There are a few things wrong with this team.

First of all, Roberson should NOT be in the starting lineup. He can't shoot nor put the ball on the floor... just a liability on offense.

Secondly, Dion Waiters and Reggie Jackson don't fit in. Both need the ball in their hands to be effective and there's NO room for them if you have two offensive SUPERSTARS on your team. I say trade both.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Durant misses too much time with minor injuries? I mean every game is like a playoff game for them right now and they need to get in a rhythm, but it's impossible if he keeps missing time. Or shouldn't I expect everyone to be Kobe Bryant? Anyway I hope they know that they're doing because time is running out.

Sadds The Gr8
02-07-2015, 07:07 PM
March.

ohreally
02-07-2015, 07:38 PM
Three out and just coming into the All Start break? If Durant can be healthy they should make it. But they're not really a contender, so what does it really matter? I don't live anywhere near OKC, so there are better things to worry about.

tredigs
02-07-2015, 08:23 PM
Three out and just coming into the All Start break? If Durant can be healthy they should make it. But they're not really a contender, so what does it really matter? I don't live anywhere near OKC, so there are better things to worry about.

That's a tough sell to me. This is essentially the same squad that took the Spurs to 6 in the WCF's last season and has owned most of the league as long as they've been healthy the past 4 or 5 years. If they finally lock in and can rattle off enough tough wins to hit that 8 seed, they're basically a cheat code at the 8 seed. They aren't looking the part right now, but we know what OKC can bring at full health (just haven't seen much of it in the playoffs the past couple years).

JasonJohnHorn
02-08-2015, 12:07 AM
Now's as good a time as any.

I don't think the franchise needs to go into panic mode of the team does't make it into the playoffs. They have a good team. They remind me of the 92 Rockets. Good team, bad season. Over .500 but missed the playoffs. Saw trade rumours that included sending Hakeem to the Lakers for Sam Perkins and I think Elden Campbell or Vlade or AC Green (I forget). But the Rocket fired the COY from the previous season (as teams are want to do: Denver, Toronto) and went on to win two titles with the same core.

The Thunder are in a similar situation. They have cut corners, letting talented players walk, but they still have a core of guys that can win and can turn this around... NEXT year. They have the excuse of having their two best players miss a quarter of the season, and without Durant and Westy, they were one of the worst rosters in the league.

So yeah... the Thunder could certainly miss the playoffs this year, but I wouldn't worry about it. If they do, though, Scott Brooks will be looking for a job. George Karl might be the best fit in that case.

IversonIsKrazy
02-08-2015, 05:24 PM
I still think they have a chance, but one more injury and they're done. Atleast with Davis out, they have 1 less team (NO) to worry about

tredigs
02-08-2015, 05:42 PM
I still think they have a chance, but one more injury and they're done. Atleast with Davis out, they have 1 less team (NO) to worry about

He hasn't missed a full game yet and I think he's game-time for Monday (with the AS Break following). Lol ruling them out pretty quick there!

lol, please
02-10-2015, 06:45 PM
They are fun to watch, and would be a threat to everyone else in the west, but the only team other than the Lakers in my "I am worried they might not make the playoffs" category, is my own. Never understood worrying about anyone else. :confused:

lakerfan85
02-10-2015, 07:26 PM
I think the Clippers will fall out and OKC will get in..