PDA

View Full Version : Clipper defense

ewing
02-07-2015, 01:13 AM
Man these guys are getting lit up of late. They have not looked good on D all year and i thought they played below their talent level on that side last year. What do you make of the Clippers D?

InRoseWeTrust
02-07-2015, 01:32 AM
I don't think they have the necessary defensive talent on the perimeter.

ewing
02-07-2015, 01:43 AM
I don't think they have the necessary defensive talent on the perimeter.

they have two total freaks defending the rim. Paul is supposed to be good, JJ is reasonable, Barnes should be good. I don't buy it.

InRoseWeTrust
02-07-2015, 01:45 AM
they have two total freaks defending the rim. Paul is supposed to be good, JJ is reasonable, Barnes should be good. I don't buy it.

I think inadequate perimeter defense is going to catch up no matter how good your rim protection is. Deandre is good, but I wouldn't call Blake a 'freak' at the rim. He's great defending the P&R, but I think in terms of rim protection there's work to do.

As for the perimeter:

CP3: I've always found vastly overrated on the defensive end
JJ: Very meh
Barnes: Best days behind him.

Bench defense isn't helping either.

ewing
02-07-2015, 01:53 AM
I think inadequate perimeter defense is going to catch up no matter how good your rim protection is. Deandre is good, but I wouldn't call Blake a 'freak' at the rim. He's great defending the P&R, but I think in terms of rim protection there's work to do.

As for the perimeter:

CP3: I've always found vastly overrated on the defensive end
JJ: Very meh
Barnes: Best days behind him.

Bench defense isn't helping either.

I hear you and i have heard that before. I still think on paper they should be better on that end. I made the thread b/c I am an East coast guy and i was hoping some people would have other explanations. Do you think they sacrifice floor balance too much? they push it a lot.

dalton749
02-07-2015, 02:48 AM
They're the toronto of the west

Clippersfan86
02-07-2015, 03:05 AM
Pretenders. They were starting to prove me wrong I thought lately but the same things plague this team over and over.

1. Horrific GM who doesn't know what he's doing, doesn't improve team.

2. Soft players. No heart whatsoever. Once they get punched, the crumple. Charles has been right all these years.

3. Entitled players.

4. CP3's decline.

5. Blake still not growing some balls and attacking enough.

ClutchTime
02-07-2015, 09:22 AM
Pretenders. They were starting to prove me wrong I thought lately but the same things plague this team over and over.

2. Soft players. No heart whatsoever. Once they get punched, the crumple. Charles has been right all these years.

3. Entitled players.

4. CP3's decline.

Pretty much sums it all up.

KnicksorBust
02-07-2015, 09:27 AM

3. Entitled players.

4. CP3's decline.

Wow. If I recall correctly you were the one who would be the first to make a positive Clips thread in the past. If they have lost you who do they have left?

ewing
02-07-2015, 10:36 AM

3. Entitled players.

4. CP3's decline.

wow you take a couple loses hard

flea
02-07-2015, 01:59 PM
You look at their top 7-8 guys and you don't really find very many defensive pluses. CP3 is their best defender, but he's a 5'11 PG. Blake has made strides, but his tweener frame is made more for defending SFs and smaller PFs (similar to Josh Smith early in his career). I realize it's only about half of the teams in the league anymore that run 2 strong bigs at you, but it's a matchup problem when the Clips do play against that. Reddick and Barnes won't kill you, but they're not going to win games.

I think the big problem is Jordan. He gets a lot of credit for the blocks and rebounds, but his defense isn't top tier. For that Clips roster to win a title I think they need him to be one of the 4 or 5 best rim protectors in the game - and he's not that. It's really his athleticism that makes people think he's top notch. It's the same story with Anthony Davis - he fills the box score defensive stats so people think he's great. In reality, he's average at best and it's only because of his athleticism and anticipation that he's that.

InRoseWeTrust
02-07-2015, 02:32 PM
^ true about Deandre. His Opp fg% against at rim is 49.8%, which is nowhere near elite.

Cracka2HI!
02-07-2015, 08:05 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm disgusted with the way this team is playing. The lack of defense and the teams struggles of late make perfect sense. The roster is so paper thin that they can't afford to lose any rotation player for even 1 game. Reddick has been out for a few games and everything has been off since. I think 100% of the blame belongs to Doc Rivers. I'm starting to really doubt him as a coach even.

Why can't he get these guys to stop complaining and just play basketball? He's no better than Del Negro at that and possibly worse. I've watched so much bad Clipper basketball over the years but these last 2 games against Cleveland and Toronto were the first 2 I've ever turned off. This team is supposed to be elite and led by a top 2 coach. They are playing like a bunch of cry babies and Doc looks overrated as a coach as out of his league as a GM.

Tony_Starks
02-07-2015, 08:23 PM
I think its too early to hit the panic button on the Paper Clips. Their record is actually pretty great considering the inconsistent ball they have been playing. They are flawed but there's still enough talent to contend.

I would actually try to incorporate Austin Rivers a lot more, even at the expense of losing a few games. They have to get out of putting everything on Paul's shoulders because come second round he's completely spent. Rivers is capable of quality minutes once he gets comfortable......

Redrum187
02-07-2015, 08:41 PM
People were saying how DeAndre Jordan was DPOY. He is mediocre at best... Blocks don't equate to great defense (nor do steals).

Their best defender is Chris Paul. Barnes is good, but he's essentially the only above-average perimeter defender they have. They need a Dudley, Tucker, Carroll, Afflalo type of wing player to hit the 3 and play some D. Their bench isn't doing anything fantastic on defense either. Blake Griffin is a joke on defense as well...

I think the biggest issue is that they are a mentally weak team. The other game they wanted to take their ball and go home because of some techs called on them.

eibbor
02-07-2015, 09:10 PM
The Clippers defense should be put on the back of a milk carton.

goingfor28
02-07-2015, 11:25 PM
My favorite sight was Turkogku on LeBron a few nights ago lolol

goingfor28
02-07-2015, 11:26 PM

3. Entitled players.

4. CP3's decline.

1 agree
2 agree and disagree, they showed a lot after the DTS fiasco last postseason
3 agree big time
4 disagree, cp3 is fine
5 agree but comes playoff time he's proven he will take it to the rim more. He even said as much recently in an interview piece he wrote that he just wants to get the the postseason healthy

Chronz
02-08-2015, 12:16 AM
Man these guys are getting lit up of late. They have not looked good on D all year and i thought they played below their talent level on that side last year. What do you make of the Clippers D?
Its been a long work and progress and they've regressed badly this year but I dont see how they underachieved last year. They have a few physical tools in some areas that theoretically should mesh well but if you think about it, they are undersized at every position except starting center. When Blake is focused, hes a great at hedging and switching but hes completely inept at challenging shots near the rim. Last year he offset his lack of length by doing his work early and preventing deep touches in the first place. Thats why I could live with his decline in rebounding, because it was worth the payoff considering he was actually forcing more misses.

This year, hes still not rebounding but hes not putting in the same work either. Earlier in the year he wasn't as athletic so part of me thinks he was nursing some kind of injury still and he has had back problems in the past so I can understand why hes not battling as much down there. So long as he ramps it up for the playoff stretch, Ill be more than happy. DJ has his flaws, hes more Marcus Camby than he is Tyson Chandler but when hes on his game, hes a force defensively. I think part of the reason his numbers are lower than true anchors is because Blake has been slacking this year. He really doesn't have the luxury of focusing solely on 1 aspect because he is both our best man defender but also our only rim protector.
Doc has made the mistake of not developing Udoh and I remember him being a promising prospect in GS.

We also lost Dudley and have relied ALOT more on 3 guard lineups with no true SF. Or worse, we're forced to play HEDO ****ING TURKOGLU at SF in 2015. Its sad how easily he gets beat and because he comes off the bench, hes usually surrounded by the Hawes/Baby combo. Yikes!

Barnes is still pretty good but hes getting old and is slight of build (Bron dislodges him without effort) not having Dudley has really hurt, especially given his predictable bounce back season. Reddick is smart within a scheme but hes not going to help on the boards the way CP3 at least tries. CP3 is really the only ace defender we have and hes 5"11, I will say its a pleasure watching him compete, especially when hes matched up with a guy like KD, I love seeing 6"8 Livingston try to post him up and not even gain an inch of penetration.

The biggest culprit tho, has been Doc. He refused to work out Whiteside, would rather take on retreads than give a guy like Holiday (who has been great for GS) a chance. He drafts shooters and never sees what they can do in a game setting (prolly nothing but you have to try).
Austin Rivers has actually impressed me defensively, whatever that matters.

Long story short, they are coasting abit and even with their uninspired effort, I believe they have the 2nd best efficiency differential in the league. I fear no team save for GS and SAS. Hopefully OKC knocks one of them out.

apocalypse15
02-08-2015, 12:36 AM

3. Entitled players.

4. CP3's decline.

I don't watch many Clippers games, but I have always felt like their top players were always just a bunch of show offs. Just my opinion. I just never saw the heart.

IversonIsKrazy
02-08-2015, 05:19 PM
Clips have the potential of great defensive pair in the middle w/ Jordan/Griffin, but they just dont play defense to their potential. Maybe a couple of highlight blocks, but average rest of the game at best. Perimeter defense is bad, Barnes is vastly overrated and JJ can get lit up by anyone. What's bad is that they have arguably the toughest schedule rest of the season. Its going to be get ugly for LA