PDA

View Full Version : PJax Triangle Offense

KnicksorBust
02-06-2015, 08:10 PM
Tex winter/Sam Barry whoever u want to credit...

Can it succeed in 2016?

Lakers + Giants
02-06-2015, 08:37 PM
It'll succeed, but not because of the system, more because of the talent. So basically, no.

Shaq/Kobe

MJ/Pippen

It wasn't the triangle. It was the fact that those teams had the most dominant players in the NBA at the time plus a great 2nd option that's basically a 1b.

InRoseWeTrust
02-06-2015, 08:39 PM
If there is decent talent there, of course it can succeed.

Phantom Dreamer
02-06-2015, 08:43 PM
The 1993-94 Bulls ran the triangle perfectly.

KnicksorBust
02-06-2015, 08:51 PM
The 1993-94 Bulls ran the triangle perfectly.

Is it a viable option now though with hand checking and zone rules?

KnicksorBust
02-06-2015, 08:52 PM
It'll succeed, but not because of the system, more because of the talent. So basically, no.

Shaq/Kobe

MJ/Pippen

It wasn't the triangle. It was the fact that those teams had the most dominant players in the NBA at the time plus a great 2nd option that's basically a 1b.

Do you believe those teams would have been as successful with any system?

Lakers + Giants
02-06-2015, 09:25 PM
Do you believe those teams would have been as successful with any system?

Bulls? Idk, I started watching the NBA in 1999. Can't really comment on them. I know they'd still win championships, 6 though, IDK.

Lakers? I still think they win 3 championships with that roster. They were full of vets and had Kobe/Shaq. I think they'd dominate under almost any system.

benzni
02-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Since JR Smith wont be there, there is a chance it may work.

IBleedPurple
02-06-2015, 10:24 PM
Since JR Smith wont be there, there is a chance it may work.Since it takes intelligent players, you may be right.

Crunch Time
02-07-2015, 12:04 AM

Shaq/Kobe

MJ/Pippen

Bulls? Idk, I started watching the NBA in 1999. Can't really comment on them. I know they'd still win championships, 6 though, IDK.

Lakers? I still think they win 3 championships with that roster. They were full of vets and had Kobe/Shaq. I think they'd dominate under almost any system.

where were you before 2000?

meloman1592
02-07-2015, 12:20 AM
D'angelo Russel will make it work next year lol

eibbor
02-07-2015, 12:27 AM
People talking about it won't work because of hand checking rules are just talking out of their *** lol The triangle is about SPACING.

It's crazy because, the triangle works without a decent offensive center. You would think a lot of nba teams would love an offense like that since there are very few good centers in the league. The reason is, most players rely on natural talent. THe triangle requires basketball iq and team work.

Everybody has to sell out for it. If the bulls didn't collectively do that as a team it wouldn't have worked for them either... Jordan or not.

Phantom Dreamer
02-07-2015, 12:32 AM
When the triangle broke down, the Bulls still had Jordan and Pippen who could create their own shot.

InRoseWeTrust
02-07-2015, 12:48 AM
When the triangle broke down, the Bulls still had Jordan and Pippen who could create their own shot.

Sure, but that's true of any system. There is not an offensive system in existence that is going to work regardless of talent.

ewing
02-07-2015, 01:21 AM
If you have talented bigs and play D it can work. The one thing the Tri does that a lot of the more spread pick and roll dominate offensives don't is it allows you to control tempo more easily and traditional bigs can fit so long as they know how to pass(your 4 doesn't need 3 point range). Now if you can make it work on O, the other team has to run offensive against a set D with a big front line.

ewing
02-07-2015, 01:23 AM
Btw, i have only been a fan of the offensive when Odom, Gasol, and Bynum were playing it. Best big to big passing i have ever seen.

Lakers + Giants
02-07-2015, 01:45 AM
where were you before 2000?

Was 7 years old at the time. Wasn't that into Bball yet.

Lakers + Giants
02-07-2015, 01:46 AM
Btw, i have only been a fan of the offensive when Odom, Gasol, and Bynum were playing it. Best big to big passing i have ever seen.

There's a reason Odom and Gasol were in the game during crunch time instead of Bynum. The passing between those 2 was amazing.

slashsnake
02-07-2015, 07:03 AM

Can it succeed in 2016?

A few have already said here, but you need guys who can pass. And a lot of them. Not necessarily all playmakers, but guys that know where they need to go with the ball, and can make that call and make that pass. Not just Jordan, Pippen, Kobe/Pau/Odom, but the role guys and everyone. Fox, Metta, Shaw, Shaq, Fisher, they could all make smart passes. Kukoc, Grant, Harper, Myers, Armstrong, Kerr... Heck Luc Longley was a great passer when they got him the ball in the flow of the game.

People talk about spacing and sure that's part of it. But anyone can stand away from their teammates. You have to be smart passing the ball to use that spacing to your advantage.

KnicksorBust
02-07-2015, 08:48 AM
People talking about it won't work because of hand checking rules are just talking out of their *** lol The triangle is about SPACING.

It's crazy because, the triangle works without a decent offensive center. You would think a lot of nba teams would love an offense like that since there are very few good centers in the league. The reason is, most players rely on natural talent. THe triangle requires basketball iq and team work.

Everybody has to sell out for it. If the bulls didn't collectively do that as a team it wouldn't have worked for them either... Jordan or not.

The triangle is a system that also produces a lot of mid-range shots which is part of the reason why it could be looked at as archaic.

KnicksorBust
02-07-2015, 08:49 AM

There's a reason Odom and Gasol were in the game during crunch time instead of Bynum. The passing between those 2 was amazing.

Two good passing bigs who could play away from the basket is a big reason why it worked for LA. How many teams can duplicate that now? 2? 3?

KnicksorBust
02-07-2015, 08:51 AM

Can it succeed in 2016?

A few have already said here, but you need guys who can pass. And a lot of them. Not necessarily all playmakers, but guys that know where they need to go with the ball, and can make that call and make that pass. Not just Jordan, Pippen, Kobe/Pau/Odom, but the role guys and everyone. Fox, Metta, Shaw, Shaq, Fisher, they could all make smart passes. Kukoc, Grant, Harper, Myers, Armstrong, Kerr... Heck Luc Longley was a great passer when they got him the ball in the flow of the game.

People talk about spacing and sure that's part of it. But anyone can stand away from their teammates. You have to be smart passing the ball to use that spacing to your advantage.

And thats why it was said that the most impressive year of the triangle was the year Jordan retired.

jp611
02-07-2015, 09:20 AM
It's outdated in this league.

ewing
02-07-2015, 10:43 AM
any system can work if you put the right guys in it. I think a way to answer this question is how many roasters do you think could run it? I think it would work well in Memphis.

D-Leethal
02-07-2015, 03:01 PM
It takes a very particular roster but with the right big guys and capable passers at each position. I like how it de-emphasizes the dribble penetration and focuses more on quick touch passes to get deep position. I think Phil appreciates that aspect from his Knicks days. When he brought up that they used to deflate balls his reasoning was that the Knicks never dribbled - it was pass to pass.

Sandman
02-07-2015, 03:09 PM
Yes, Pjax had Jordan, Shaq and Kobe

But does he need to win with less to validate the triangle?

I don't understand why it gets so much attention. It's a style of offense.

Maybe if Carmelo had more help there would be more to write about in the papers.

Chronz
02-08-2015, 12:21 AM
Can you guys name all the teams that have won with the triangle?

KnicksorBust
02-08-2015, 10:34 AM

Besides the Alaska Aces?

KnicksorBust
02-08-2015, 10:35 AM

Sidenote the team that I coach had to make a few changes to finally get consistent points using the Triangle.

Crunch Time
02-08-2015, 01:06 PM
Besides the Alaska Aces?

lolwut

Chronz
02-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Besides the Alaska Aces?

Ahh yes, the Alaskan Aces.

Better Q, the FIRST team to ever win a chip with the triangle?