PDA

View Full Version : can you reach rim?

Chronz
02-06-2015, 05:28 PM
The goal is to dunk but before you fly, you must first leap. I've made it my life goal to dunk at least once in a live game. I'm 5'11 and touching rim, when my legs are warmed up i can full on grab the rim, but i can't dunk much less **** it back.

Basically, what i want to know is if any of you started off the same way and eventually broke through. What was ur exercise regimen. How long did it take. How old were you.

long ball
02-06-2015, 05:31 PM
Started being able to touch the rim in eight grade. I could grab rim with both hands by sophomore year. Never got close to dunking though.

I'm 6' tall.

goingfor28
02-06-2015, 05:31 PM
Nope. Not now. At my best though when I was 18/19 yrs old I could dunk a tennis ball.

jaydubb
02-06-2015, 05:33 PM
I never did any organized exercises or weights or anything like that, at a very young age I just always wanted to touch the net. Then when I did, I wanted to touch the rim, then when I did that I wanted to grab the rim and hold on, then when I did that I wanted to dunk a tennis ball, then when I did that a volleyball and finally a basketball.. Then I tried to do 2 hands (which was harder for me at first) then I was able to do reverse dunks and could do 180s and could **** it back a bit (not like so far that it touches my back but still so it looks good).

But honestly now, I could barely dunk a volleyball.. Haha

Tony_Starks
02-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Started off grabbing the rim when I was younger, by 17 I was full on smashing on people. Then in college I would do calf raises and squats every now and then just to get that extra bounce to catch lobs or a get a tip dunk.

Bruno
02-06-2015, 05:39 PM
i'm 6'2 barefoot. did it once in a pre game warm up, but it wasn't clean. i was 25. in game is out of the question for me. my biggest problem is that I can't palm the ball so i need to buy more inches on the vertical to get the ball above the rim. because of the hands, I need to get half my wrist above the rim on a cup opposed to just the hand and lower wrist on a palm. i never lifted weights and don't have to take a lot of weight up with me during the jump. if i'm in shape and doing stairs I'm in the ball park.

the stairs work for me because they feel more fluid than just doing leg presses. which is helpful during those last two big steps. I'm not a two legged jumper either.

bucketss
02-06-2015, 05:45 PM
yeah rather easily considering im a pretty good dunker, during weekly runs at the rec i **** that joint back and bang it on em'.

bucketss
02-06-2015, 05:47 PM
are you serious? why did they asterisk that word out smh.

L8kers4life
02-06-2015, 05:48 PM
The goal is to dunk but before you fly, you must first leap. I've made it my life goal to dunk at least once in a live game. I'm 5'11 and touching rim, when my legs are warmed up i can full on grab the rim, but i can't dunk much less **** it back.

Basically, what i want to know is if any of you started off the same way and eventually broke through. What was ur exercise regimen. How long did it take. How old were you.

I'm 6 foot 4 294 lbs, I played football and bball in college. In college I was 6 foot 4, 253lbs and could do most dunks. and I can still dunk a basketball with 1 step. When I was in 8th grade I started touching the rim, and by 9th I was attempting to dunk. If you can grab the rim you may be able to dunk with a ball you can palm. Try a volleyball or tennis ball first, if you can dunk those, than try throwing a lob to yourself and dunking off a high bounce.

2-ONE-5
02-06-2015, 05:52 PM
i have the same goal lol. im also 5'11 and can pretty easily grab rim now after feeling like i lost some hop the last few years. But my hands are too small to grip the ball or even get a decent enough grip to slam. My best advice is to never skip leg day, bro

RLundi
02-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Lol at all the filters blocking out c.o.c.k., as in "it back," not the derogatory term for penis.

Took me awhile to figure out what word was blocked out in the OP. "What the hell does Chronz mean by "but I can't dunk much less ******* it back"? "******* it back"? :laugh2:

lincecum=future
02-06-2015, 06:03 PM
5'10 and can get most of my hand above rim. I got decent bounce for a white guy but still not close to dunking, can't even grip the ball anyway.

Tony_Starks
02-06-2015, 06:15 PM
You guys should get some of those old school strength shoes. They really work, my boy worked out with them for a while and before I knew it he was smashing with ease. He was only 5'8.

PowerHouse
02-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Im about 6' 3.5" and could grab rim at 15 and then could dunk one or two handed by 17. Could never really do reverses or anything crazy. Definitely easier to do it with the ball palmed in one hand. I can palm it but used to have trouble with it slipping out on the leap. Ive had back problems since late-twenties so I couldnt even come close anymore now.

L8kers4life
02-06-2015, 06:23 PM
You guys should get some of those old school strength shoes. They really work, my boy worked out with them for a while and before I knew it he was smashing with ease. He was only 5'8.

Man you aint lying, after my freshman year of college, I went home to train before hell week. I was running a 4.59 40 at the time. After training for 4 weeks, 4 days a week minimum my 40 went down to 4.46 and my vert went from 32 to 38 inches. Those strength shoes work.

Vee-Rex
02-06-2015, 06:34 PM
5"8, could grab rim my senior year in high school but I couldn't dunk.

Sprained my ankle playing basketball and never managed to grab rim since then. Sad, sad story. :(

Blink
02-06-2015, 06:42 PM
I played in a league where a kid was 6'8" and couldn't dunk. 6'8" is huge from my area. I felt bad for him but envied him for his height.

Now that I'm out of scool my high school has a 6'8" kid that can't get two feet off the ground.

Chronz
02-06-2015, 06:42 PM
Starting to lose hope but i figure i got another 3 years of my relatively poor athletic prime before i. lose all hope.

Hawkeye15
02-06-2015, 06:51 PM
haven't tried in years, I quit playing basketball when I was around 32. But I am 5'11" or so, and I could dunk from age 17-27. But, I have large hands, so I can palm it easy. If I didn't doubt I could have dunk..

Hawkeye15
02-06-2015, 06:53 PM
I played in a league where a kid was 6'8" and couldn't dunk. 6'8" is huge from my area. I felt bad for him but envied him for his height.

Now that I'm out of scool my high school has a 6'8" kid that can't get two feet off the ground.

when I was in high school, I played against a kid 6'11" that couldn't dunk. But he was so skinny, and when he ran, his legs buckled all weird. Looked like he was going to snap in half any moment. I am sure once his body matured, he could super easy. I just remember thinking that was crazy a guy that tall couldn't dunk.

adidas2307
02-06-2015, 06:59 PM
6'4" and I can't really dunk at all... it's so embarrassing. My problem isn't that I can't grab the rim because I can easily get enough jump to grab the rim but my hands are too small to palm the ball well. I somehow managed to do it once during a pickup game (maybe the adrenaline from being on a breakaway?) and I can do it here and there (very rarely) when we're shooting around but that's about it. Only 22 so I'm hoping I can do some workouts this summer to help my vertical out.

Deception
02-06-2015, 07:17 PM
5'9" and I can't. Mentally can't get myself to grab it, but when I don't think about trying to grab rim and I'm just grabbing rebounds I get up really high, enough to grab rim. I just can't put two and two together. I'm sure I could if I put a lot of effort prepping myself but I'd rather work on dribbling or shooting drills than just trying to drunk

KnicksorBust
02-06-2015, 07:30 PM

Tony starks nailed it. I am +30 now and my dunking days are behind me but I can say calf raises are Huuuuge for adding to your vert and so simple. I also used to do a ton of repeated jumping solo drills with one ball off a backboard. Great for putbacks and adds leg strength.

Tony_Starks
02-06-2015, 07:31 PM
6'4" and I can't really dunk at all... it's so embarrassing. My problem isn't that I can't grab the rim because I can easily get enough jump to grab the rim but my hands are too small to palm the ball well. I somehow managed to do it once during a pickup game (maybe the adrenaline from being on a breakaway?) and I can do it here and there (very rarely) when we're shooting around but that's about it. Only 22 so I'm hoping I can do some workouts this summer to help my vertical out.

Practice your dunks on a lower court. Like those courts at middle schools. That's what helped me.

tredigs
02-06-2015, 07:39 PM
I'm fresh out of my twenties and don't compete in anything ultra competitively anymore so dunking comes tougher, I don't even know if I can right now, but training wise when I was working on my speed/jumping (wasn't for bball then but same idea) I used to slap on ankle weights and do a combo of "sprints"/jumps in a doughboy pool. If you have access, that will help. If not, just do them on land with some stairs involved. If you have access to a beach and preferably sand dunes, run up them as fast as you can. That is one of the best training exercises I ever did. Love that ****.

JEDean89
02-06-2015, 07:49 PM
6' 5" and can dunk at 25, but i need a run up and can't palm the ball.

KnicksorBust
02-06-2015, 07:53 PM
Man I would love to be player coach of a Psd posters only game of 5 v 5. Lmao

Phantom Dreamer
02-06-2015, 08:00 PM
I'm 5'8" without shoes, I was able to jump and touch and grab hold of the rim with my right hand and pull myself up. That was when I was 24. I'm not 24 anymore and I can no longer jump that high.

D-Leethal
02-06-2015, 08:06 PM
I was blessed with decent height (about 6'1 which isn't bad in hoops for a suburban white kid), handles, can shoot the 3 and flip a nice baby hook in the post but God certainly did not bless me with any sort of speed, lateral quickess or hops.

KnicksorBust
02-06-2015, 08:08 PM
I was blessed with decent height (about 6'1 which isn't bad in hoops for a suburban white kid), handles, can shoot the 3 and flip a nice baby hook in the post but God certainly did not bless me with any sort of speed, lateral quickess or hops.

You know I love you Dleeth but you can work on your hops bro namath

jon32
02-06-2015, 08:15 PM
get some moon shoes and you wont need to do any exercises or anything, you'll be doin 360 between the leg dunks all over those suckers tmw.

101O11
02-06-2015, 08:18 PM
Played a kid in high school that was about 5'10 and could only dunk if the ball was lobbed to him. They ran an out of bounds plays for him were they picked off his defender and he would run down the lane and take the lob and dunk it. As for me I wasn't able to dunk it. Could touch rim but never palm the ball.

My brother had those strength shoes and was dunking in the 8th grade, about 6' at the time. He took them with him to college and the parents never bought them for him.

JLynn943
02-06-2015, 08:25 PM
I'm 5'9" and out of shape, so nope. I can barely get halfway up the net haha. I'd never be able to palm the ball enough anyway though.

gatkins11
02-06-2015, 09:02 PM
I'm 5' 10" and white. I can grab the rim and dunked on a 10 foot goal once. Never did it again. LOL.

JdKing7
02-06-2015, 09:27 PM
In high school I was able to dunk a volleyball. Was so close to being able to dunk a basketball, but always just missed. I have extremely small hands, so I would always lose it right at the top or start to and it would mess up my jump. I am only 5'7 though, so I was pretty pumped just to be able to put back a volleyball. I did a lot of box jumps, squats, deadlifts, calf raises and really focused on exploding up. I had a real good vertical though, but not anymore.

hidalgo
02-06-2015, 10:30 PM
6'2. at my best i could dunk a mini ball (half sized basketball), & could hit the rim with my wrist, & grab it with 2 hands barely. also needed only 1 big step to get the rim. was 17-18 at the time. never dunked a full sized ball because i couldn't palm it, but i really think i could have with sticky wide reciever gloves, since i could hit the rim with my wrist. (at least could have dunked a girls basketball). with MJ's hands i could have, lol

35 yo now, haven't hit the rim in a few years(don't try it much anymore, rarely play at all)not looking likely

Aapox
02-06-2015, 11:52 PM
I'm 6'2" and light (160). I could first touch rim when I was probably 15-16, grab 17-18, but never dunked a basketball on a 10' rim until I was 20. I was able to dunk most of the time (but not reliably) until 25-26 but then I stopped playing and working out as much and it's pretty hard to now unless I'm feeling spry.

There's 2 important things I can tell you.

1) The most important thing above all is believing you can do it. Although I played a LOT during my college years and built leg strength, I'm confident I never would have if I never believed that one day I would. Even now sometimes I will have days where I'm like nah I probably can't dunk today, and I can't...but then some days where I am like "I am GOING TO DO IT" and I can.

2) Being able to palm the ball is not a necessary requirement to dunk. I can barely palm a ball stationary. The trick is to be able to get high enough to keep your hand above the ball and control it until you're up there enough to throw it down. Or, of course, dunk it with 2 hands ;)

Believe in yourself, keep trying, and keep working for it. You'll do it.

eibbor
02-07-2015, 12:06 AM
Most probably won't believe me or even care.. Mostly because I'm an ******* a lot but...

I was really good at track growing up. Long jumped around 21 feet when I was 18. I always had hops, but at 5'8" Who cares lol But I could dunk easily when i was 17 - 22 or so. I couldn't palm it, so I would toss it and let it bounce towards the rim. Made it easier. I could really only do a regular 2 hand dunk and a regular reverse. Nothing fancy.

I'm 38 now and I can still grab the rim. I know because I do it when I shoot outside with my boy. I have to get warmed up though.

I only dunked it once in a pick up game, but honestly, it was my buddy guarding me and I told him to let me by. Was a sweet left hander (Always jumped off my right foot) Made me feel like a million bucks at the time lol

Good times.

Good thread.

Redrum187
02-07-2015, 01:37 AM
Freshman year in HS: 5'8 - 140 lbs, couldn't touch rim

Junior year in HS: 5'10 - 160 lbs, could touch rim

Senior year in HS: 6'0 - 165 lbs, could dunk in game

Now... 6'2, 200, I can't dunk in game unless I have a clear path to the rim...

In high school I ran 5 miles every day. I attribute my ability to dunk my senior year because I was ultra light-weight and cut. After high school, I stopped running and starting lifting weights.

I'd advise doing explosive squats. Perhaps that will train/build your muscles before you're old. You could also try to lose weight (not sure how much you weigh)...

Redrum187
02-07-2015, 01:40 AM
If that doesn't work, use a mini trampoline.

PurpleLynch
02-07-2015, 08:32 AM
Never dunked,unfortunately. I can grab the rim,but my hands are not fit to do a dunk. I can't grip the ball correctly(maybe small hands for dunking).
I'm 6 feet.

PhillyFaninLA
02-07-2015, 08:46 AM
5'6" and I can dunk on 9 feet and touch rim on 9 and a half feet

JWO35
02-07-2015, 11:01 AM
Nope. Not now. At my best though when I was 18/19 yrs old I could dunk a tennis ball.

Same :laugh2:
At 5'7 I consider it an accomplishment I can even do that! Never really put any effort into working on trying to dunk because I knew I was too short to play for my HS team...that and Steve Nash is my defensive idol

Chrisclover
02-07-2015, 11:14 AM

∩_∩y
Last year when I went on the court of an elementary school. Thrilled beyond belief.
Under normal circumstances, no.

Sly Guy
02-07-2015, 01:19 PM
6'4", can dunk (or at least the last time I tried to). I wasn't able to until I was 16 or so, that was just young legs and simple unguided work put in at the gym. But I wanted to improve from there, and it took a summer of lifeguarding (the virtually daily cardio in the water, biking to and from home everyday for about 30km, and playing after work everyday in addition to the gym and the addition of plyometrics to my routines) to put me way over the top. At that peak, I as able to get up maybe 30", which for a white guy without the frame to fly was pretty damned good. Then I went to a yoga class, tore my knee out, and had to start from scratch again like 2 years later.

DemarDerozan
02-07-2015, 01:54 PM
I'm 6'0 180. Calf raises really helped me when I was younger. Add some 15-20 pound Dumbbells to your regimen for some extra weight. Believe it or not high jumping in place place adds to your vertical and box jumps. Like someone else said, start with a tennis ball and practice your explosiveness when you get off the ground. Start with two hands.

BKdoubleStacker
02-07-2015, 04:38 PM
The only thing I can dunk is a pack of Oreos in a glass of milk.

5'9 and can touch/barely grab rim with one hand.

Goose17
02-07-2015, 04:55 PM
Nope.

BK-TY
02-07-2015, 04:56 PM
I've dunked everything from volleyballs to sneakers to toilet paper rolls (don't ask) but NEVER an actual regulation basketball (can't palm it). Came close once on a putback/tip in (during a pick up game at the rec center) but it hit the side of the rim and popped out. I used to be able to grab the rim off one step (with one hand) but I haven't TOUCHED the rim since I was in my early 30s and I'm 44 now.
On a good day I can probably still smack the hell out of the bottom of the net! LOL

5'11"
230 lbs (now)

xxplayerxx23
02-07-2015, 05:04 PM
I'm 5'11 and I can dunk pretty easy. I've been dunking since I was like 17 ish I used jump soles a lot when I was younger always worked out on my legs, it was tough to grip the ball well enough at first but now I do it with ease.

Tony_Starks
02-07-2015, 05:20 PM
Damn now I see how the strictly athletic guys get hated on so much around these parts, y'all have that non-dunkers complex!

I kid,I kid.......

Sadds The Gr8
02-07-2015, 07:19 PM
I'm 5'10 and have never dunked 10ft in my life (23 years). I can only touch rim with 1 hand. I've never been a leaper...more of a fast end to end guy. I never really cared to dunk that much but I think I could do it if I really worked my *** off to.

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-08-2015, 03:17 AM
yeah rather easily considering im a pretty good dunker, during weekly runs at the rec i **** that joint back and bang it on em'.

:laugh2: domefavors 2.0 type of story

ILLUSIONIST^248
02-08-2015, 03:25 AM
5'11 and could never dunk. I've had a few good moments where the ball slipped out of my hand while I touched rim as the ball rolled in, So I take that to the bank as a dunk.

I hate the paint anyways, I play like Kyle Korver.

Phantom Dreamer
02-08-2015, 03:31 AM
I'm 5'11 and I can dunk pretty easy. I've been dunking since I was like 17 ish I used jump soles a lot when I was younger always worked out on my legs, it was tough to grip the ball well enough at first but now I do it with ease.Post the link to the video.

IKnowHoops
02-08-2015, 03:33 AM

I'm 5'11 too. I've dunked once in my life off an Oop. I can't palm a ball. Ive dunked a volley ball 2 or 3 times. My leap was about good enough to grab the rim one handed pretty easily from 21-28. I'm 36 now, and I tried to touch the rim about a month ago after not attempting for about 4 years and I barely nicked it. Squats and lounges really improved my leap. Went from touching it to easily grabbing it and eventually catching that perfect pop off two legs.