PDA

View Full Version : Build a Title Contender with a Flawed Offensive Star

flea
02-05-2015, 04:48 PM
What the title says, but there are caveats. This thread isn't for building super-teams with multiple top 20 players on them (leave that for your vidya games) - it is for building a contender out of one (1) flawed star, one (1) secondary top 40 player (a player ranked in the 20-40 best players in the NBA by my own flawed reasoning), and three (3) non-top 40 players. You should take into account offense and defense, unless you want to hire Mike D'antoni.

My thread so you play by my rules: there is no arguing over the tiers I put players into, it's strictly about building well-rounded teams that you believe can contend THIS YEAR. I used RPM and WS primarily to classify the players, but my own perceptions of where players fit came into it as well. Just go with it, even if you disagree with how I grouped the players.

RULES

(1) You will compose only a starting 5, and you may only use players that are starters for their teams (ie no Ginobili, Iguodala, Speights, Gibson, etc.).

(2) Pick one flawed star among these: Kevin Love, Carmelo Anthony, Greg Monroe, Derrick Rose, Nic Vucevic. This will be the cornerstone of your starting 5.

(3) Pick one secondary star in the 25-50th best NBA player tier. These are your choices:

PG: Teague, Bledsoe, Dragic, Irving, Conley, Lawson, Holiday
SG: Matthews, Danny Green, Evans, Beal, Oladipo, Wade
SF: Hayward, Parsons, Batum,
PF: Millsap, Morris, P. Gasol, Favors, Randolph, Dirk
C: Jordan, Bogut, Bosh

(4) Round out the rest of your starting five with three (3) players not in the top 50 in the NBA by my rankings.

***FYI, these are the 25 players you MAY NOT use in your starting 5***

PG: Curry, Paul, Westbrook, Wall, Lillard, Lowry
SG: Harden, Butler, Thompson, Korver
SF: Durant, James, Leonard, Draymond Green
PF: Davis, Griffin, Duncan, Ibaka, Aldridge
C: Gasol, Horford, Chandler, Noah, Howard, Cousins

My Example:

PG: Elfrid Payton
SG: Bradley Beal (secondary star)
SF: Demare Carroll
PF: Carmelo Anthony (flawed primary star)
C: Omer Asik

I don't even know that that team would be all that great this year. Maybe I include Beverly instead of Payton, but I'm not sure it's even a better team then. The theory, at least, is that the big frontcout makes up for Carmelo's deficiencies on the glass and defensively while the backcourt can hold their own on the perimeter for a center who is a good, not great, rim protector.

jerellh528
02-05-2015, 05:13 PM
Conley
Kobe
Melo
Faried
Jefferson

Didn't put a ton of thought into it, but something like that maybe

Goose17
02-05-2015, 05:17 PM
I want to try two.

First attempt

G: Ty Lawson
G: J.J Redick
F: Luol Deng
F: Kevin Love
C: Marcin Gortat

I can't believe you left Gortat out of your top 50.

Second attempt
G: Darren Collison
F: Carmelo Anthony
F: Amir Johnson
C: Deandre Jordan

Collison was doing a good job running the Kings, I think he would fit in this. Johnson hustles a lot and DJ anchors the defense and rebounding while being uber efficient at scoring due to him never actually taking a shot more than 5ft from the rim. Redick helps space the floor.

Devster3
02-05-2015, 05:52 PM
Teague
Tony allen
Ariza
Monroe (maybe carmelo here for offensive, maybe just put another secondary star here like milsap)
Whiteside

Tried to make a defensive team. off the top of my head.

tredigs
02-05-2015, 06:24 PM
Out of curiosity, what is inherently flawed about Kevin Love's offensive ability when tasked to be a #1? His role in the Cavs offense is a terrible fit to complement his ability, but he's still a guy who proved he can score at a very high clip on very solid efficiency. You can't "stat stuff" efficient scoring.

PG: Rondo
SG: Monta
SF: Deng
PF: K Love
C: Bogut

valade16
02-05-2015, 06:27 PM
^ I was surprised to see Love in the flawed offensive star category and LMA not.

Matter.
02-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Bledsoe
Derozan
Deng
Love
Asik

or

Derrick Rose
Tony Allen
Luol Deng
Chris Bosh
Omer Asik

flea
02-05-2015, 06:30 PM
Out of curiosity, what is inherently flawed about Kevin Love's offensive ability when tasked to be a #1? His role in the Cavs offense is a terrible fit to complement his ability, but he's still a guy who proved he can score at a very high clip on very solid efficiency. You can't "stat stuff" efficient scoring.

PG: Rondo
SG: Monta
SF: Deng
PF: K Love
C: Bogut

By "flawed" I meant players that people consider to be stars but that have significant flaws in their games. For most of the ones listed, that flaw is defense - where they are all among the worst at their positions. But even still, I consider Melo and Vuc to have more rounded offensive games than Love. Either way, all those players have significant flaws enough in their game to where they need specific players around them in order to thrive.

FraziersKnicks
02-05-2015, 06:35 PM
I want to try two.

First attempt

G: Ty Lawson
F: Luol Deng
F: Kevin Love

I can't believe you left Gortat out of your top 50.

Second attempt
G: Darren Collison
F: Carmelo Anthony
F: Amir Johnson

Collison was doing a good job running the Kings, I think he would fit in this. Johnson hustles a lot and DJ anchors the defense and rebounding while being uber efficient at scoring due to him never actually taking a shot more than 5ft from the rim. Redick helps space the floor.

Both those teams are real good.

flea
02-05-2015, 06:44 PM
PG: Rubio
SG: Middleton
SF: Ariza
PF: Ibaka
C: Monroe

I kinda like this team.

jerellh528
02-05-2015, 07:08 PM
Conley
Ellis
Ariza
Love
Drummond

Chronz
02-05-2015, 07:09 PM
I really want to pick Dirk as the secondary star but I'd rather go with either Melo or Love as my 4 and get them an anchor defensively. Still, hard to leave him off.

Knight
Korver
Deng
Love
Bogut

tredigs
02-05-2015, 07:12 PM
I really want to pick Dirk as the secondary star but I'd rather go with either Melo or Love as my 4 and get them an anchor defensively. Still, hard to leave him off.

Knight
Korver
Deng
Love
Bogut
Cheater!

By "flawed" I meant players that people consider to be stars but that have significant flaws in their games. For most of the ones listed, that flaw is defense - where they are all among the worst at their positions. But even still, I consider Melo and Vuc to have more rounded offensive games than Love. Either way, all those players have significant flaws enough in their game to where they need specific players around them in order to thrive.

Rogah dat -- thought you were implying they were inherently flawed offensively. Love next to a rim protector like Bogut would be an amazing combo imo.

Kaner
02-05-2015, 07:18 PM
Pg: Mike Conley
Sg: Joe Johnson
Sf: demarre Carroll
Pf: Carmelo Anthony

SG was tough but, I think Manu's the bpa there.

Goose17
02-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Kaner and Chronz just saying F the system.

Chronz
02-05-2015, 07:28 PM
Replace Korver with Reddick then.

TO Rapz
02-05-2015, 07:29 PM
Team 1:

Patrick Beverley
Isiah Thomas
Carmelo Anthony
Kenneth Faried
Chris Bosh

JasonJohnHorn
02-05-2015, 07:29 PM
So make a contender with two top 50 players to compete with teams with 2-3 top ten players as well as other top 50 players?

Ok... I'll pass.

TO Rapz
02-05-2015, 07:32 PM
Team 2:

Isiah Thomas
Wesley Matthews
Demarre Carrol
Kevin Love
Marcin Gortat

TO Rapz
02-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Patrick Beverley
Tony Allen
Carmelo Anthony
Serge Ibaka
Jonas Valanciunas

TO Rapz
02-05-2015, 07:34 PM
Mike Conley
JJ Redick
Demarre Carroll
Kevin Love
Marcin Gortat

TO Rapz
02-05-2015, 07:36 PM
Ou I like this one:

Mike Conley
Tony Allen
Carmelo Anthony
Draymond Green
Al Jefferson

dalton749
02-05-2015, 07:36 PM
tony parker(2nd option)
demar derozan(3rd option)
demarre carroll(3 n d)
carmelo anthony (primary 1st option)
deandre jordan(secondary anchor)

alternative has wiggins at the 3 and they run you out of the gym

Goose17
02-05-2015, 07:57 PM
Building a contender around Monroe is pretty damn challenging. My best attempt;

G: Tony Parker
G: Giannis Antetokounmpo
SF: Paul Pierce
PF: Greg Monroe
C: Andrew Bogut

Goose17
02-05-2015, 07:58 PM
Edit; my bad.

Redrum187
02-05-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm loving the DeMarre Carroll love!!! :P

Kaner
02-05-2015, 08:10 PM
pg: Jeff Teague
sg: Joe Johnson
sf: Luol Deng
pf: Kevin Love

Team #2

tredigs
02-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Kaner, you're a compulsive cheater lol.

Kaner
02-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Kaner, you're a compulsive cheater lol.

I misinterpreted the rules.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/253477

PurpleLynch
02-05-2015, 08:40 PM
Conley(2nd)
T.Allen
Anthony(1st)
Nenč
Whiteside(I feel like I'm cheating a lot with this one).

IndyRealist
02-05-2015, 10:00 PM
PG: Tony Parker
SG: Danny Green (2ndary)
SF: Luol Deng
PF: Kevin Love (star)
C: Andre Drummond

I really wanted Bogut to balance out Love, but there was not any SG I wanted that wasn't already on the lists. I'd take Rondo over Parker, but I needed the driving ability combined with outside shooting to space the floor, since Drummond will not be taking any jumpers for me and Love will probably camp at the 3pt line. On the plus side, I have the entire championship backcourt and I will get ALL of the rebounds.

Edit: forgot about Joe Johnson (as long as I don't have to worry about salary).
PG: Tony Parker
SG: Joe Johnson
PF: Kevin Love
C: Andrew Bogut

ohreally
02-05-2015, 10:08 PM
Whiteside
Mason Plumlee
Paul George
Joe Johnson
Kyrie irving

ohreally
02-05-2015, 10:21 PM
Whiteside
Mason Plumlee
Paul George
Joe Johnson
Kyrie irving

Really don't want the flawed stars, but if I have to

Vucevic
Milsap
Paul George
JoeJohnson
Tony Parker

Or

Vucevic
Lee
Paul George
JoeJohnson
Kyrie Irving

LakersIn5
02-06-2015, 04:30 AM
Deandre Jordan
Kevin Love
Paul George
Jamal Crawford
Rajon Rondo

LakersIn5
02-06-2015, 04:32 AM
Totally missed out parker. So instead ill have

Jordan
Love
Paul george
Jamal
Parker

I have everything you need.

clehmun
02-06-2015, 05:08 AM
Tony Parker
Wesley Matthews
Carmelo Anthony
David West
Andre Drummond

Alayla
02-06-2015, 01:55 PM
What the title says, but there are caveats. This thread isn't for building super-teams with multiple top 20 players on them (leave that for your vidya games) - it is for building a contender out of one (1) flawed star, one (1) secondary top 40 player (a player ranked in the 20-40 best players in the NBA by my own flawed reasoning), and three (3) non-top 40 players. You should take into account offense and defense, unless you want to hire Mike D'antoni.

My thread so you play by my rules: there is no arguing over the tiers I put players into, it's strictly about building well-rounded teams that you believe can contend THIS YEAR. I used RPM and WS primarily to classify the players, but my own perceptions of where players fit came into it as well. Just go with it, even if you disagree with how I grouped the players.

RULES

(1) You will compose only a starting 5, and you may only use players that are starters for their teams (ie no Ginobili, Iguodala, Speights, Gibson, etc.).

(2) Pick one flawed star among these: Kevin Love, Carmelo Anthony, Greg Monroe, Derrick Rose, Nic Vucevic. This will be the cornerstone of your starting 5.

(3) Pick one secondary star in the 25-50th best NBA player tier. These are your choices:

(4) Round out the rest of your starting five with three (3) players not in the top 50 in the NBA by my rankings.

My Example:

I don't even know that that team would be all that great this year. Maybe I include Beverly instead of Payton, but I'm not sure it's even a better team then. The theory, at least, is that the big frontcout makes up for Carmelo's deficiencies on the glass and defensively while the backcourt can hold their own on the perimeter for a center who is a good, not great, rim protector.

Tony Parker (Not sure why your letting us get away with this one)
Bradly Beal (2nd Option)
Harrison Barnes (By next year i think this will be KJ Mcdanels for me)
Kevin Love (Flawed star)
Andre Drummond (Clean up crew for loves faults)
gh
In Closing i think you made this a bit too easy as i think in the east this would be the best team right now. In the west it would be rit in line with everyone else.

Alayla
02-06-2015, 01:58 PM
Totally missed out parker. So instead ill have

Jordan
Love
Paul george
Jamal
Parker

I have everything you need.

No top 25 players if im not mistaken im pretty sure that includes PG.

TrueFan420
02-06-2015, 02:50 PM
I misinterpreted the rules.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/253477
I smoked but I didn't inhale

LakersIn5
02-06-2015, 03:20 PM
No top 25 players if im not mistaken im pretty sure that includes PG.

Nope not on the list.

Or

Whiteside
Pau gasol
Melo
Kobe
Parker

flea
02-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Deandre Jordan
Kevin Love
Paul George
Jamal Crawford
Rajon Rondo

Going to be pretty tough to compete for a title this season if you start a guy with bum hammies and a guy with a broken leg.

Shammyguy3
02-06-2015, 09:52 PM
cool game

Conley/Afflalo/Ariza/Love/Hibbert

Love is primary "flawed" offensive star. Conley is supporting star. Afflalo/Ariza/Hibbert all left out of your top-50.

IndyRealist
02-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Nope not on the list.

Or

Whiteside
Pau gasol
Melo
Kobe
Parker
I'm guessing he's not on the list because he hasn't played all year, so he has no stats to be sorted by. I think he's excluded from this game due to being on the injured list. Your players have to be starters.

xnick5757
02-06-2015, 10:57 PM
PG: Rajon Rondo
SG: Demar DeRozan

Shammyguy3
02-06-2015, 10:59 PM
PG: Rajon Rondo
SG: Demar DeRozan

that spacing wouldn't get out of the 1st round

Raps08-09 Champ
02-06-2015, 11:15 PM
C-Andre Drummond
PF-Kevin Love
SF-Gordon Hayward
SG-Demar Derozan
PG-Avery Bradley

I win.

ohreally
02-06-2015, 11:46 PM
I'm guessing he's not on the list because he hasn't played all year, so he has no stats to be sorted by. I think he's excluded from this game due to being on the injured list. Your players have to be starters.

Nothing in the original post that said your choices couldn't be on the injured list. PG was a starter and if PG is playing he is a starter.

Given that this season is so far advanced and a team is just being assembled, it obviously isn't playing this season.

You can argue it's against the spirit of the game, but then the spirit of the game would mean that every team always fielded the best team they possibly could and no team would exceed the cap. If the rules aren't written they aren't rules.

Seizabmc
02-07-2015, 12:17 AM
Jc
Wes mathew
Melo
David lee
Tim movgov

Lucky.
02-07-2015, 12:21 AM
PG: Brandon Knight
SG: Courtney Lee
SF: Gordon Hayward
C: Andre Drummond

Bostonjorge
02-07-2015, 12:32 AM
PG. Kire Irving
SG. Wiggins
SF. Jabari Parker
PF. Love
C. Hibbert

Championship

sixer04fan
02-07-2015, 01:28 AM
PG: Rubio
SG: Middleton
SF: Ariza
PF: Ibaka
C: Monroe

I kinda like this team.

How is this building a title contender? That's like a 6th seed in the East. And there isn't a go to scorer in the entire starting lineup

flea
02-07-2015, 12:27 PM
How is this building a title contender? That's like a 6th seed in the East. And there isn't a go to scorer in the entire starting lineup

Monroe is a better scorer than he's given credit for. As a low-post scorer, I think only Duncan and Jefferson surpass him these days. His game down there is at least as good as Cousins, Gasol, and Randolph. The only difference is his volume is lower - mostly because he has no jumper. That's a defensively strong team as well. Might not be the prettiest in the halfcourt, but it'd look something like the 09 Magic.

dalton749
02-07-2015, 12:40 PM
Hahahaha that's such a sixth seed. Dead

Kaner
02-07-2015, 01:26 PM
Patrick Beverley
Dwayne Wade
Demarre Carroll
David West
Greg Monroe

I like my other 2 teams more but this one would be tough.

You should add another 1-2 players to flawed offensive stars, 3 of the 5 are front court players and Carmelo is best at pf too. I'd say Wade and Dragic fit the mold since they're both terrible defenders

Young2Kinsler
02-07-2015, 01:43 PM
Building a title contender and not taking bench into account might be the biggest waste of time in human history.

No thanks.

Shammyguy3
02-07-2015, 06:15 PM
Building a title contender and not taking bench into account might be the biggest waste of time in human history.

No thanks.

Great post, didn't want you to waste anybody's time here while actually partaking in a friendly game

ohreally
02-07-2015, 07:12 PM
Rubio
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Melo
Bosh
Brook Lopez

Young2Kinsler
02-08-2015, 01:51 AM
Great post, didn't want you to waste anybody's time here while actually partaking in a friendly game

I'm just saying, you could put the best 5 players in the NBA in a lineup and a well constructed team could beat them.

Lakers + Giants
02-08-2015, 03:00 AM
PG: Knight
SG: Afflalo
SF: Melo
PF: Nowitzki
C: Drummond

ManningToTyree
02-08-2015, 10:32 AM
Kyrie
Wiggins
Melo
Ibaka
Gortat

Goose17
02-08-2015, 10:56 AM
I'm just saying, you could put the best 5 players in the NBA in a lineup and a well constructed team could beat them.

Right. Fortunately we're not all chipping in to buy a team. This isn't an actual discussion on who we want after we buy the Bucks. It's a game. It's just for kicks.

pebloemer
02-08-2015, 11:43 AM
Conley
Matthews
Carroll
Love
Hibbert

Shammyguy3
02-08-2015, 02:20 PM

Which has absolutely nothing to do with what this thread was made for. If you don't wanna partake in the game and have fun with it, then don't bother.

Young2Kinsler
02-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Which has absolutely nothing to do with what this thread was made for. If you don't wanna partake in the game and have fun with it, then don't bother.

Thanks for the advice, I'll bother with what I want.

Goose17
02-08-2015, 04:06 PM
My final attempt, aiming for Eastern conference finals.

PG; Elfrid Payton
SG; Wesley Mathews (2nd tier star)
SF; Paul George
PF; Kevin Love (the flawed star)
C; Nerlens Noel

dalton749
02-08-2015, 04:18 PM
Not sure why everyone keeps picking Paul George and choosing to play 4 on 5

Goose17
02-08-2015, 04:29 PM
Not sure why everyone keeps picking Paul George and choosing to play 4 on 5

Rules of the game didn't say anything about injuries being active.

smith&wesson
02-08-2015, 04:52 PM
Dragic
Derozan
Ariza
Love
T.chandler

Sanjay
02-08-2015, 07:39 PM

RULES

My Example:

PG: Irving (secondary star)
SG: Wiggins
SF: Carmelo (flawed primary star)
PF: Faried
C: R. Lopez

I think this team could win the Eastern Conference, although any team in this forum probably could. But, I also believe this side could make the second round of the West playoffs (this is a bit optimistic, but I think the Spurs and Warriors are the only two teams this side could not beat and the Grizzlies would probably be a tough matchup, this is assuming the Thunder do not make the post-season, although I believe they will). Kyrie would be the offensive playmaker and Melo the primary scorer. Wiggins would guard the opponents best 1/2/3 and Lopez and Faried would protect the rim. The main issue with this team would probably be three-point shooting although Irving and Carmelo can shoot it and Wiggins is improving.

And I know you said don't comment on your rankings and I agree with the majority of them, but I think Irving is a top 25 player.

flattoprules21
02-08-2015, 08:15 PM
melo isnt flawed stop attacking him with this bs. The man has won a ncaa championship by himself and then took the knicks and nuggets to the playoffs after they couldnt get in before his appearance. the only flaw to melo is the only quality players he has had was last legs ai and no legs amare and based on this thread is flawed :body-check:

IndyRealist
02-09-2015, 12:12 AM
Nothing in the original post that said your choices couldn't be on the injured list. PG was a starter and if PG is playing he is a starter.

Given that this season is so far advanced and a team is just being assembled, it obviously isn't playing this season.

You can argue it's against the spirit of the game, but then the spirit of the game would mean that every team always fielded the best team they possibly could and no team would exceed the cap. If the rules aren't written they aren't rules.

Injured reserve is actually a position on the roster. So if you are injured reserve you cannot be starting. This year, Paul George has not started a single game, so he is not a starter.