PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Hawks starting five named Eastern Conference Players of the Month

FlashBolt
02-04-2015, 09:00 PM
First time this has happened. Personally, I don't like it but it's cool that they are rewarded.

goingfor28
02-04-2015, 09:01 PM
Different. But dope

SPURSFAN1
02-04-2015, 09:02 PM
They made history. I don't mind.

Cal827
02-04-2015, 09:07 PM
They better not do this **** when they are handing out the MVP awards :laugh2:

kdspurman
02-04-2015, 09:25 PM
Where was this when SA won 19 straight last year lol... But That's pretty awesome though. Its a nice change & those guys deserve it. Nice to see them get recognized.

Tony_Starks
02-04-2015, 09:27 PM
Bullsh-----. If that's the case they should've been did this to the Spurs.

FlashBolt
02-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Where was this when SA won 19 straight last year lol... But That's pretty awesome though. Its a nice change & those guys deserve it. Nice to see them get recognized.

Meh, that was the month KD went absolutely bananas. 51 point game and averaged 36 PPG.

Trwood12
02-04-2015, 09:32 PM
I agree. It's B.S. And it takes away from teams like the warriors.

kdspurman
02-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Meh, that was the month KD went absolutely bananas. 51 point game and averaged 36 PPG.

I was just thinking, yea WC there's probably more options lol

Ezio
02-04-2015, 09:34 PM
I thought Lebron would of gotten it.

ClutchTime
Wow. Pretty cool.

kdspurman

How does it take away from the Warriors? harden got it for the west

KnicksorBust
02-04-2015, 09:53 PM

The Spurs and Hawks are two fantastic examples of how great coaching, teamwork, and chemistry and overcome not having LeBron James. But I disagree that the Spurs deserved the same reward. Fundamentally this Hawks team relied on their Starting 5 significantly more than the Spurs. Simple proof? No Spur averaged over 30mpg last season but every player in the Hawks starting 5 players over 30mpg.

JordansBulls
02-04-2015, 09:56 PM

Why? He missed 6 games in the month.

Silent
02-04-2015, 10:20 PM

Some basketball info for you east and west? got it?

kdspurman
02-04-2015, 10:21 PM
The Spurs and Hawks are two fantastic examples of how great coaching, teamwork, and chemistry and overcome not having LeBron James. But I disagree that the Spurs deserved the same reward. Fundamentally this Hawks team relied on their Starting 5 significantly more than the Spurs. Simple proof? No Spur averaged over 30mpg last season but every player in the Hawks starting 5 players over 30mpg.

Yea I agree with that. I was only partly serious with that remark. Though I don't recall their MPG during that streak, but I know especially in the West there's more options and individual guys playing great.

Trwood12
02-04-2015, 10:24 PM
I'm saying the warriors have been fantastic all season and currently have a better record than the hawks, but they don't get nearly the recognition. And teams in the past have been just as good if not better. But the league goes and gives the entire hawks starting lineup a "player" of the month award.

Trwood12
02-04-2015, 10:24 PM
Some basketball info for you east and west? got it?
I think you missed my point..

Trwood12
02-04-2015, 10:25 PM
I'm not necessarily upset by the way. I'm just asking for consistency.

kdspurman
02-04-2015, 10:33 PM
I'm saying the warriors have been fantastic all season and currently have a better record than the hawks, but they don't get nearly the recognition. And teams in the past have been just as good if not better. But the league goes and gives the entire hawks starting lineup a "player" of the month award.

Cause then don't really have "superstar players" , its a total team effort most nights. You can't really pick who will be their leading scorer night to night. GS plays a similar style, but have an MVP candidate on their team. Hawks definitely don't.

Who do you look at on the Hawks and game plan for? It could be any of their guys on any given night. At least that's my take

goingfor28
02-04-2015, 11:10 PM
No other team has ever gone 19-0 in one month

kdspurman
02-04-2015, 11:13 PM
No other team has ever gone 19-0 in one month

Was actually 17, they won their first 2 in December.

goingfor28
02-04-2015, 11:15 PM
Was actually 17, they won their first 2 in December.
Yes. My bad

Tony_Starks
02-04-2015, 11:22 PM
I can't knock ATL, what they're doing is great. I just think its kindof corny to act like theyre the first team we ever saw play team ball. I get the hot streak for the month but come on man, its player of the week. Coach of the month already covered the team accomplishment.....

*Silver&Black*
02-05-2015, 03:22 AM

Hawks were undefeated in the month of January (January award). Doesn't take away from any other team, or ball hog AAU player.

*Silver&Black*
02-05-2015, 03:27 AM
I find it funny people complain that an individual award that takes away the team aspect of basketball in the first place was awarded to team basketball. You can really tell how the NBA and 'star ball' has gotten to people.

dhunutbai
02-05-2015, 03:39 AM
lol Atlanta is in the EAST...warriors WEST!!! lol

HoopsDrive
02-05-2015, 05:17 AM
I don't mind this at all, it's a bit strange to see an individual award go to a starting five but you know what, they went undefeated for an entire month! That is downright ridiculous, that you can go 17-0 in a month.

Avenged
02-05-2015, 05:33 AM
It's BS but at the same time who really keeps tract of these weekly and monthly rankings? Meh

More-Than-Most
02-05-2015, 06:04 AM
Why? He missed 6 games in the month.

in the rest of the games played he averaged 30/6/6 on 51 percent shooting while being defensively outstanding. Lets give it to 5 guys instead of one though :rolleyes:

Goose17
02-05-2015, 07:00 AM
I approve of this. I get it.

They deserved to have a player of the month but no individual was responsible for that great month. It was the team as a whole, they play as one. Exceptional team basketball.

This makes sense and I like it.

PurpleLynch
02-05-2015, 08:25 AM
It's BS but at the same time who really keeps tract of these weekly and monthly rankings? Meh

IKnowhoops did.

Chrisclover
02-05-2015, 12:14 PM
They better not do this **** when they are handing out the MVP awards :laugh2:
Give it to korvor for his being the all-star snub. Lol.
This Hawks team soars when the super team Cavs just starts to pick things up. But I see them square off each other in the ECF.

D-Leethal
02-05-2015, 12:23 PM
I think this is awesome. Adam Silver FTW. Love having a progressive Commish instead of the dull, boring, conservative 70 year old Stern.

Chrisclover
02-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Bullsh-----. If that's the case they should've been did this to the Spurs.
A 17 -0 is an NBA record. And Silver is trying to effect his new plan. He wants the league to appeal to more audience. And emphasizing the team spirit in the Hawks is a good option. The hawks is just a younger version of the Spurs, whom is struggling due to injuries. The success of the Spurs piques the interest of some fans and the league should keep it alive, even though it takes the management to unorthodoxically award all starters of the hawks. Giving the award to any other player is just too routine and people will soon forget the winner totally. Now it made headlines!

Chrisclover
02-05-2015, 12:26 PM
A bench -willing player doesn't begrudge such a tiny award.

Chrisclover
02-05-2015, 12:34 PM
Lol, he certainly takes umbrage with the hawks winning so quietly and getting all the attention all of a sudden. But let's be real, the hawks is much bigger surprise than the warrior s is. The warriors had been well built before Kerr came to town. The hawks didn't make splash in the FA market and few people regarded them title contenders.
Wait Silver to say "I am honored to announce that the Most Improved Player of 14 -15 season is...... Paul millsap.... and Al Horford.... And........ [emoji41]

Chrisclover
02-05-2015, 12:37 PM
IIRC, the starting 5 of the hawks just play a little bit above 30 mpg per person. The coach was the disciple of Pop and he knows quite well the extreme importance of resting the starting quad.

Trwood12
02-05-2015, 12:47 PM
lol Atlanta is in the EAST...warriors WEST!!! lol
You obviously misunderstood my argument. All that I'm saying is that there are and have been teams throughout history that have done great things as a team (take last year's Spurs for example), and the hawks are the first (as far as I am aware) to be given this award as a team. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no objection to the hawks being recognized for their record. It just seems kind of corny to give them an award that's meant for an individual. If you need to have a "team of the month" award, so be it. I am 100% okay with that.

D-Leethal
02-05-2015, 12:53 PM
A 17 -0 is an NBA record. And Silver is trying to effect his new plan. He wants the league to appeal to more audience. And emphasizing the team spirit in the Hawks is a good option. The hawks is just a younger version of the Spurs, whom is struggling due to injuries. The success of the Spurs piques the interest of some fans and the league should keep it alive, even though it takes the management to unorthodoxically award all starters of the hawks. Giving the award to any other player is just too routine and people will soon forget the winner totally. Now it made headlines!

I love that if its true. I think Miami being the enemy to 49 American states worth of basketball fans and going against SA in the finals two years straight really made the mainstream fans 1) appreciate the Spurs and 2) appreciate the beauty of TEAM basketball. I know this first hand from my friends who would knock the Spurs as boring but were dumbfounded by the ball they witnessed in the Finals last year, which was about as flawless as it gets. I don't think we've seen anything like that since the 70s Knicks taking out Wilt, West, Baylor and co. (homerific yes, but if you read up on those teams or watch some youtube footy you'd probably agree).

In short, I hope Silver diverges from Stern's strategy. Stern did a tremendous job marketing the league's superstars as a means of expanding the league and its popularity. Now that the league is here to stay and as popular as ever, now that you have a core fanbase that isn't going anywhere anytime soon, there is no better time to market the beauty of team-first basketball. Silver is the man.

2-ONE-5
02-05-2015, 01:34 PM
I'm not necessarily upset by the way. I'm just asking for consistency.

its a meaningless award get over it

Trwood12
02-05-2015, 01:53 PM
its a meaningless award get over it
As I said, I'm not upset. There is nothing to "get over." I was just stating my opinion in a thread that encouraged me to do so. Get over it.

Jamiecballer
02-07-2015, 11:52 PM
This is so incredibly lame. No big deal, but a joke nonetheless.