PDA

View Full Version : Which "Shoot First" PG Has the Best Shot at Getting a Ring Eventually?

Tony_Starks
02-04-2015, 03:15 PM
Simple question who has the best chance of doing it. Not necessarily this season but just period in their careers. Me personally I say Westbrook hands down, but my runner up would be Damian Lillard. It's also a damn shame because it used to be I could say D Rose and not even think twice about it

Westbrook
Lillard
Curry
Rose
Kyrie
Wall

Redrum187
02-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Kyrie Irving (but he's definitely not the best)

As long as Rose is on the Bulls, starting some of the games he actually plays in, I give them .000001% chance of winning it all. He is probably closer to last, if not last, on that list of PGs.

(Don't ask me for power ball numbers, just my opinion.)

FraziersKnicks
02-04-2015, 03:18 PM
Kyrie Irving

mngopher35
02-04-2015, 03:22 PM
I have to say Curry here, GS has been the best team and whoever comes out of the west likely wins it imo. I think Kyrie/Westbrook might be next but it kind of has to do with the players next to them (Lebron/Durant).

Hawkeye15
02-04-2015, 03:22 PM
Curry. His team might win it this year. His team has incredible defense, and he doesn't even need to zone in on that end.

Tony_Starks
02-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Kyrie Irving (but he's definitely not the best)

As long as Rose is on the Bulls, starting some of the games he actually plays in, I give them .000001% chance of winning it all. He is probably closer to last, if not last, on that list of PGs.

(Don't ask me for power ball numbers, just my opinion.)

I don't know man Im still holding out hope against hope he gets his game back but he's not giving me much to be optimistic about

dhopisthename
02-04-2015, 03:31 PM
Golden state has one of the greatest differentials and a massive lead in the west. they are very capable of winning it this year

Vinylman
02-04-2015, 03:34 PM
only 2 real options...

I will go with Lebron's team

Tony_Starks
02-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Golden state has one of the greatest differentials and a massive lead in the west. they are very capable of winning it this year

I still think the Spurs would be their kryptonite in a 7 game series. They can beat anybody else though.....

D-Leethal
02-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Curry and Kyrie are neck and neck for me this year, Wall and Lillard if it goes past this year.

Avenged
02-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Curry and the Warriors are winning it all this season so him.

SPURSFAN1
02-04-2015, 04:15 PM
None. Everyone looked meh to me.

cmellofan15
02-04-2015, 04:19 PM
LeBron

Cal827
02-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Curry, Kyrie, Westbrook in that order.

Don't really consider Wall a Shoot First PG. I mean he might shoot it a little more than Pure Pass First PGs, but he's averaging 10+ APG lol

Hawkeye15
02-04-2015, 04:23 PM
None. Everyone looked meh to me.

seriously? Rose won an MVP, Curry is a very strong candidate, and possibly the favorite this year.

jerellh528
02-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Easily curry. If they don't win this year I'll be pretty surprised

SPURSFAN1
02-04-2015, 04:39 PM
seriously? Rose won an MVP, Curry is a very strong candidate, and possibly the favorite this year.

Yeah I stand by my assessment. Their teams are really still up in the air. And GS is one bogut injury from first round exit. Atleast for the next 4-5 years. Teams change quickly and anything can still happen, but I don't see anyone getting a ring any time soon. Eventually can mean any time really, so they atleast got that working for them.

LAKERS4LIFE!!
02-04-2015, 04:40 PM
Let see...
East Finals look like Cavs vs Hawks
West Finals looks like the Spurs vs. Warriors

So either Kyrie or Curry

IMO Curry.

Hawkeye15
02-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Yeah I stand by my assessment. Their teams are really still up in the air. And GS is one bogut injury from first round exit. Atleast for the next 4-5 years. Teams change quickly and anything can still happen, but I don't see anyone getting a ring any time soon. Eventually can mean any time really, so they atleast got that working for them.

Bogut has missed 14 games, and they are still crushing everyone. Their defense is the best in the NBA, their offense is 4th. I know we see "Golden State", and laugh at the premise of them winning it, but they are really, really good this year.

This question is in theory btw. So if you had to make a guess, none of them are winning at any point?

Tony_Starks
02-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Let see...
East Finals look like Cavs vs Hawks
West Finals looks like the Spurs vs. Warriors

So either Kyrie or Curry

IMO Curry.

Kyrie wants no part of the Hawks especially since they'll have homecourt. IF they even get that far.....

SPURSFAN1
02-04-2015, 04:48 PM
Bogut has missed 14 games, and they are still crushing everyone. Their defense is the best in the NBA, their offense is 4th. I know we see "Golden State", and laugh at the premise of them winning it, but they are really, really good this year.

This question is in theory btw. So if you had to make a guess, none of them are winning at any point?

GS still has to get passed the spurs too. That remains to be seen. And yes, I pick none over any winning a ring at any point.

Nick O
02-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Curry and Irving have a solid chance of winning this year. Wall can play on a championships team and his teams good but he doesnt have pieces to win one right now. obviously Westbrooke has almost won one so its possible but i think he and Rose hurt their teams chances.

jerellh528
02-04-2015, 04:58 PM
GS still has to get passed the spurs too. That remains to be seen. And yes, I pick none over any winning a ring at any point.

Who is your favorite this year to win it all?

SPURSFAN1
02-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Who is your favorite this year to win it all?

The spurs or hawks.

Goose17
02-04-2015, 05:13 PM
People consider Wall a shoot first PG?

Raps18-19 Champ
02-04-2015, 05:36 PM
Curry then Kyrie. Curry's team is a favourite to win this year. Cavs have a good chance to make it out the East this year or a few years, especially with Lebron.

valade16
02-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Simple question who has the best chance of doing it. Not necessarily this season but just period in their careers. Me personally I say Westbrook hands down, but my runner up would be Damian Lillard. It's also a damn shame because it used to be I could say D Rose and not even think twice about it

Westbrook
Lillard
Curry
Rose
Kyrie
Wall

Curry hands down. Not only are they simply phenomenal right now but 4 of their cornerstone players are all extremely young (Curry, Klay, Draymond, Barnes).

After that it's Westbrook because the Thunder are great and young as well.

After that Kyrie because Bron/Love. I can't see them not winning at least one.

After that is Lillard. Lillard could go on to become an elite PG in this league, but as good as Portland is and as young as they are, they aren't quite at the level of the Warriors or Healthy Thunder. And that's not mentioning Memphis, Houston, Dallas, Clippers, etc. Even if I think Portland (when healthy) is better than those teams it's not like any of those teams beating them would be a surprise, they are all very close.

Blink
02-04-2015, 05:55 PM
Brandon Jennings and he wins it next year

Tony_Starks
02-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Brandon Jennings and he wins it next year

I was going to say that but I didn't want to state the obvious.....

Minimal
02-04-2015, 11:08 PM
That guy that plays with LeBron

FlashBolt
02-04-2015, 11:17 PM

He's just upset Tony Parker isn't here. Which he is right.. Spurs are probably going to win.

cmellofan15
02-05-2015, 12:02 AM
Kyrie wants no part of the Hawks especially since they'll have homecourt. IF they even get that far.....

Hawks want no part of LeBron in the playoffs. period.

FlashBolt
02-05-2015, 12:17 AM
There's a reason why people don't take the Hawks seriously and it's due to:

1) Lack of starpower.
2) Lack of Playoff success.

Irving/Love have no playoff experience but James does. And when you're as good as James, that one player makes a HUGE difference.
Starpower, we all know this matters in the playoffs. In front of millions of people nationally televised, refs are going to give it to the star players more often than not. With the Hawks, I don't see anyone who can elevate their game besides Teague. With Korver, it's going to be really easy to stop him by placing Shump on him IMO. Kyrie has improved defensively. Horford/Millsap are going to be the two biggest issues for Cleveland. Get rid of those two and Cleveland has a great chance.

GodsSon
02-05-2015, 12:58 AM
There's a reason why people don't take the Hawks seriously and it's due to:

1) Lack of starpower.
2) Lack of Playoff success.

Irving/Love have no playoff experience but James does. And when you're as good as James, that one player makes a HUGE difference.
Starpower, we all know this matters in the playoffs. In front of millions of people nationally televised, refs are going to give it to the star players more often than not. With the Hawks, I don't see anyone who can elevate their game besides Teague. With Korver, it's going to be really easy to stop him by placing Shump on him IMO. Kyrie has improved defensively. Horford/Millsap are going to be the two biggest issues for Cleveland. Get rid of those two and Cleveland has a great chance.

That's oversimplifying it big time though.

Keep LeBron in check and the Hawks have a great chance. See?

lol, please
02-05-2015, 03:32 AM

Westbrook
Lillard
Curry
Rose
Kyrie
Wall
I wouldn't coin him a "shoot first" player, but for the sake of argument, Curry.

IndyRealist
02-05-2015, 10:12 AM
Curry in both first to get a ring and odds of getting the most rings. His team is exceptional at almost every position, they are incredibly deep, and I believe their core is locked in for the next 3 years, except for Green. Irving's team could split up this summer, Lillard's team isn't as good, Westbrooks's team isn't as deep.

Tony_Starks
02-05-2015, 01:51 PM
Damn Steph is really not fooling around.....

colinskik
02-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Wall isn't really a shoot first PG and Curry isn't either -- he's just all around good.

Of the guys on that list only Kyrie, Westbrook, and Rose are truly shoot first.

In a vacuum, I'd take Westbrook because of pure talent, but since Kyrie plays with Lebron he has the most realistic shot.

lol, please
02-05-2015, 06:42 PM
Wall isn't really a shoot first PG and Curry isn't either -- he's just all around good.

In a vacuum, I'd take Westbrook because of pure talent, but since Kyrie plays with Lebron he has the most realistic shot.
Agreed. Calling complete elite players like Wall and Curry shooters or shoot first guys is disrespect and implies inefficiency and low basketball iq

Hawkeye15
02-05-2015, 06:50 PM

of course they need to get past 4 teams, that is how you win. The Warriors are clearly the best team in the NBA right now, and if they continue to play as they are, they will be the title favorites entering the playoffs. Does that mean anything? Not necessarily, but the OP is asking which one of these guys do we think has the best chance at winning a ring first. Curry is on the best team in the league, so I pick him....

Tony_Starks
02-05-2015, 06:56 PM

Agreed. Calling complete elite players like Wall and Curry shooters or shoot first guys is disrespect and implies inefficiency and low basketball iq

Maybe for other people but I don't look at "shoot first" negatively the way stat guys do. When I say shoot first I'm talking about a guy that you can't defend like traditional pg's because they will light you up, as opposed to say a Rondo or CP3 who are looking more to set people up and sort of get buckets where they can. I don't see what BBall IQ has to do with it either, Chauncey Billups won Finals MVP shooting the rock.

I mean Curry dropped 51 last night, you dont do that without a shooters mentality BUT he still drops dimes so there's no knock on him....

JasonJohnHorn
02-05-2015, 07:11 PM
I don't really see Curry as a shoot-first point guard, I see him as a point guard that is a great shooter and therefore uses his skill, but whose primary goal is to get the TEAM the best shot available.

Watching Wall play, I'm inclined to say that he IS a shoot-first point guard, but looking at how many assists he has... he seems more like a point guard who is just really good at scoring and knows that pushing the offense is either going to create openings for him or teammates.

So I'm not even considering those guys. My pick is Westy... but I would have been more confident in that selection last year. I think playing with Love and LBJ, Irving likely has the best chance, but I haven't seen championship chemistry from Cleveland yet, and I have seen it in KD/Westy in the past... though their roster isn't as deep as it was.

Tough call.

JasonJohnHorn
02-05-2015, 07:17 PM

This.

Just 'cause a guy can score, doesn't mean he's a score-first point guard. It is a point guard job to be able to score so that his defender and other defenders are drawn to him and other guys get open. If he doesn't, than defenders can slack off and help on other players, shutting down options.

John Wall has more assists than anybody, and Curry is 4th in total assists. And Wall is first in assists per game while Curry is 5th... can you call league leaders in assist 'pass-first'. Wall is getting more assists and CP3 and Rodno for crying out loud.

IndyRealist
02-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Maybe for other people but I don't look at "shoot first" negatively the way stat guys do. When I say shoot first I'm talking about a guy that you can't defend like traditional pg's because they will light you up, as opposed to say a Rondo or CP3 who are looking more to set people up and sort of get buckets where they can. I don't see what BBall IQ has to do with it either, Chauncey Billups won Finals MVP shooting the rock.

I mean Curry dropped 51 last night, you dont do that without a shooters mentality BUT he still drops dimes so there's no knock on him....

I don't see anything wrong with being a shoot first PG, or a scoring PG, pass-first PG, combo guard, etc. They're all arbitrary labels with no real definitions. Shoot first PG implies that you look for your own shot before looking to set up your teammates. If you are Steph Curry, that's probably ok (though it doesn't really describe him anyway). "Shoot first" is not inherently negative to anybody.

lol, please
02-05-2015, 11:00 PM
It's never ok unless it's the only option, and you won't know it's the only option unless you look for a pass or the opportunity to set up a play. It's the equivalent of a qb only looking for his first read. Being inefficient just makes it that much worse. Just because some players can get away with it doesn't make it any more of a good thing.

colinskik
02-06-2015, 04:46 PM
I don't see anything wrong with being a shoot first PG, or a scoring PG, pass-first PG, combo guard, etc. They're all arbitrary labels with no real definitions. Shoot first PG implies that you look for your own shot before looking to set up your teammates. If you are Steph Curry, that's probably ok (though it doesn't really describe him anyway). "Shoot first" is not inherently negative to anybody.

I think the term shoot first does imply that the player has a deficiency elsewhere, or that shooting is his strength.

Curry and Wall, while good shooters (or scorer in Wall's case), are also very good passers and very good all around players. They're stars.

Calling them scoring PGs is more suitable, I think.

But then Westbrook fits the description above and I called him a pass first PG in an earlier post. I guess you could say WB makes his score first mentality more of a bad habit than Curry or Wall. I don't know, it's kinda hard to judge. I just don't think you can call Curry and WB the same kind of player, which you do when you say they are both pass first point guards.

Tony_Starks
02-06-2015, 05:03 PM

I think the term shoot first does imply that the player has a deficiency elsewhere, or that shooting is his strength.

Curry and Wall, while good shooters (or scorer in Wall's case), are also very good passers and very good all around players. They're stars.

Calling them scoring PGs is more suitable, I think.

But then Westbrook fits the description above and I called him a pass first PG in an earlier post. I guess you could say WB makes his score first mentality more of a bad habit than Curry or Wall. I don't know, it's kinda hard to judge. I just don't think you can call Curry and WB the same kind of player, which you do when you say they are both pass first point guards.

You're right the term scoring pg is better. That's why I put shoot first in " " because that's just the phrase I commonly see tossed around. I'm with IndyRealist I don't really dig all the labels. Im not even keen on the efficient vs inefficient labels. For me I keep it very simple , either someone has game or they don't....

KnicksorBust
02-06-2015, 07:52 PM
I would also like to be obnoxious and say I dont count them all as scoring PGs. Rose, WB, and Kyrie all seem to prefer taking a selfish shot to making the pass. Of those 3, Kyrie has by far the best chance.