PDA

View Full Version : DeAndre Jordan's Shot Chart is Hilarious. And Amazing.

sixer04fan
02-04-2015, 01:54 AM
I was looking at some of the statistical leaders in the NBA earlier today and noticed that DeAndre Jordan has a 73% field goal percentage this season. Holy ****! His FG% almost doubles his FT%. So I've been playing around with this Austin Clemens shot chart site lately and decided to check out DeAndre Jordan.

It's pretty easy to see how he is shooting 73% from the field. The Clippers are using his shot selections VERY efficiently. More than 99% of his shots have been directly at the rim. I am assuming almost all put backs and alleyoops. The man literally does not shoot from anywhere else on the floor. I've never seen anything like it. You would think that throughout the course of a game he would take some more ill advised shots or midrange jumpers. Nope.

For some frames of reference, here is Chris Paul's shot chart. I had to save and reupload the images to unique URLs to be able to share them: http://oi60.tinypic.com/30vocp5.jpg

Here is Blake Griffin's shot chart: http://oi59.tinypic.com/md2nmo.jpg

Here is DeMarcus Cousin's shot chart: http://oi60.tinypic.com/dq0rcl.jpg

And here is DeAndre Jordan's shot chart: http://oi59.tinypic.com/2ccovix.jpg

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2ccovix.jpg

Note: If mods don't like the embedded image, feel free to edit and delete the pic. The URL works for it too. As a TM it looks like I am allowed to post images, according to the rules? But that might only apply to my team's forum. If that is the case, my bad.

sixer04fan
02-04-2015, 01:58 AM
Here is the site for anyone interested. I just discovered it a few weeks ago - http://www.austinclemens.com/shotcharts/

It's pretty interactive and you can also see more in depth statistics such as shot volume % from different spots on the floor for every player and team.

goingfor28
02-04-2015, 02:14 AM
That's DJ. I think his made jump shots is likely still in single digits for his career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DOXbTT-MDM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP5EA_fdQqU

sixer04fan
02-04-2015, 02:20 AM
That's DJ. I think his made jump shots is likely still in single digits for his career.

Haha, it's pretty amazing. Even on the shot chart, you can see when he shoots from just 1-2 feet further away from the front of the rim, his shooting % dips below league average. Yet right around the rim he's making 73% of his attempts.

It's not even that he only shoots in the paint. He only shoots literally at the rim. If they could get him the ball more there and if he could maintain that efficiency, he could be a lethally effective scorer.

goingfor28
02-04-2015, 02:29 AM
If he had post moved he'd be deadly. His scoring moves are
1. Lob dunk
2. Put back dunk
3. Put back layup
4. Fast break dunk
They don't need him to be a go to scorer though. He had 22 last night @ Brooklyn with 29 rebounds. But he shot 2-12 from the FT line :laugh2:

nastynice
02-04-2015, 02:40 AM
lol, to be honest, I'm a little surprised that he has actually taken shots from outside that restricted area. I'm serious, I've seen the clippers play, and I can't remember him ever taking a non layup or dunk.

Nick O
02-04-2015, 02:56 AM
Haha, it's pretty amazing. Even on the shot chart, you can see when he shoots from just 1-2 feet further away from the front of the rim, his shooting % dips below league average. Yet right around the rim he's making 73% of his attempts.

It's not even that he only shoots in the paint. He only shoots literally at the rim. If they could get him the ball more there and if he could maintain that efficiency, he could be a lethally effective scorer.

if he actually develops an offense then teams will just foul him.. he cant hit a FT to save his life

Cracka2HI!
02-04-2015, 02:56 AM
Great post man. Thank you! DJ is actually becoming an offensive force because of all the information here. The Clippers realize that and are starting to run plays for him....well they aren't really plays. The Clippers are blessed to have a Center who is as fast as pretty much every player in the NBA at running(long strider) and he is dominant scoring at the rim. To the tune of a 73% clip. He's beating the defense to the rim 5-6 times a game and getting any easy dunk, or put to the line. Where he will miss 1 out of 2 at best. He's still becoming a dynamic player none the less.

There are also 2-3 times a game where CP3 and ironically more often Blake pulls the entire defense to them and gives DJ in uncontested lob in a half court set. No other PF/C combo in the league can do that and honestly I don't think there ever has been that can do it as well as them. These guys are like 25 and best friends...LOL!!!! I know some will think I'm stupid for saying this...but call me on board for a max extension for DJ! Blake Griffin may be considered the 2nd best "athlete" in the league behind LeBron...Blake is not as good of an "athlete" as DeAndre IMO.

I should add that DeAndre has plays he does where he catches the ball near the rim and does a reverse dunk on an alley-oop on average 2 times a game. I don't remember seeing anyone else even doing that. Blake has never done it. I'm sure I'm wrong but a normal Clipper play is lobbing the ball to DJ while he's standing with his back to the rim and him dunking it. There isn't a situation where the team improves by losing/trading DJ. Max offer is in order.

sixer04fan
02-04-2015, 03:15 AM
I guess I just always thought of DJ as the typical super athletic, yet offensively challenged center that you see every so often around the league. Like an Andre Drummond, or a raw Dwight Howard. But even with those guys, there is always a little bit of freedom given on shot selection sometimes. An ill-advised turn around or fadeaway that leaves you rolling your eyes, or a mid range jump shot if you're left wide open sometimes...

But not with Jordan. He literally only shoots/dunks at the rim. For the entire season. It's remarkable. That's commitment right there. Or Doc Rivers just has the tightest leash on him and forbids him from ever taking a shot. A single shot. For 82 straight games.

goingfor28
02-04-2015, 03:20 AM
Doc honestly freed him. VDN always took him out and I believe he averaged barely 30mpg under VDN bc coach didn't trust him. Doc came and told him his job is block shots and rebound, and there's been a noticeable spike in his numbers the past year and a half.

He's still very offensively challenged but on a team w CP, JJ, Jamal, Blake, Barnes he doesn't need to create his own shot. His job on offense for the most part is clean up misses and put it back in. He's thrived in his role under Doc imo. Wish his FT shooting would improve (his actual release on the line looks decent) but he still sucks at those haha

Cracka2HI!
02-04-2015, 03:21 AM
I guess I just always thought of DJ as the typical super athletic, yet offensively challenged center that you see every so often around the league. Like an Andre Drummond, or a raw Dwight Howard. But even with those guys, there is always a little bit of freedom given on shot selection sometimes. An ill-advised turn around or fadeaway that leaves you rolling your eyes, or a mid range jump shot if you're left wide open sometimes...

But not with Jordan. He literally only shoots/dunks at the rim. For the entire season. It's remarkable. That's commitment right there. Or Doc Rivers just has the tightest leash on him and forbids him from ever taking a shot. A single shot. For 82 straight games.
Another great point. DJ doesn't seem to want to hurt his team by taking shots he can't make. He knows a post game is what he needs. He is starting to want the ball. He knows if he's at the rim no one can stop him....and he doesn't mind going to the line and missing 60% of his shots.

Cracka2HI!
02-04-2015, 03:22 AM
....dupe

sixer04fan
02-04-2015, 03:23 AM
On a side note - It's pretty interesting seeing how good of a shooter Blake Griffin is at those long twos from the top the key. For a PF, at least.

And how DeMarcus Cousins is actually a below average shooter from inside the paint. Wouldn't have expected that.

Check out Korver's shot chart if you have time. It's insane. Curry's is pretty ridiculous too. And Dirk's

Cracka2HI!
02-04-2015, 03:36 AM
Doc honestly freed him. VDN always took him out and I believe he averaged barely 30mpg under VDN bc coach didn't trust him. Doc came and told him his job is block shots and rebound, and there's been a noticeable spike in his numbers the past year and a half.

He's still very offensively challenged but on a team w CP, JJ, Jamal, Blake, Barnes he doesn't need to create his own shot. His job on offense for the most part is clean up misses and put it back in. He's thrived in his role under Doc imo. Wish his FT shooting would improve (his actual release on the line looks decent) but he still sucks at those haha
It really does, he looks like an 80% shooter but misses twice as much LOL!

goingfor28
02-04-2015, 03:40 AM
It really does, he looks like an 80% shooter but misses twice as much LOL!
Yup, if you watched nothing after the release you'd absolutely think he shot 80% from the line

Cracka2HI!
02-04-2015, 03:43 AM
Yup, if you watched nothing after the release you'd absolutely think he shot 80% from the line

I would believe he could get to 80% if he Didn't just keep staying at 40% LOL!

goingfor28
02-04-2015, 03:45 AM
I would believe he could get to 80% if he Didn't just keep staying at 40% LOL!
Agreed lol idk what it is. Release is nice and I've read he practices them a TON. Just doesn't improve lol

JasonJohnHorn
02-04-2015, 09:38 AM
CP3 did the same thing with Chandler and SVG tried doing the same thing with Dwight, but Dwight wanted to miss shots from 15 feet out ;-)

Chronz
02-04-2015, 01:36 PM

I dont know if its all on Doc or just his maturation but hes been truly selfless offensively. Hes always been very smart with his shot selection but about 3 years ago he started developing some offensive moves and started wanting a few generic post plays ran for him. We used to run the first play of the game for him. He never took jumpers so hes always understood his limitations but the year he had the highest scoring rate of his career was his least efficient one. Once Doc came in and gave him all the minutes he could handle, he stopped caring about touches and has never been more productive.

Chronz
02-04-2015, 01:37 PM
I know Im kind of nitpicking but I really wish people would stop suggesting tip-ins are a means by which people can easily improve their FG%. Tip-ins are really hard to make, DJ is shooting 43% on tip-ins alone and so do most bigs, so its actually dragging his FG% down.

In terms of efficiency, its an easy attempt because the O-reb cancels out any miss anyways, but this thread is about FG%. In terms of just raw efficiency, either Korver or Tyson prolly lead the league.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-04-2015, 01:40 PM
So he plays within his capabilities. I like it.

D-Leethal
02-04-2015, 04:02 PM
He has more offensive skills than Vucevic, obviously.

Chronz
02-04-2015, 04:11 PM
He has more offensive skills than Vucevic, obviously.
Obvious sarcasm is obvious.

Just curious tho, does trading for Vuce make the Clippers better offensively?

Sactown
02-04-2015, 04:13 PM
Pretty nitpicky lol what's his FG% after an offensive rebound and what % of his shots are off of offensive rebounds

D-Leethal
02-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Obvious sarcasm is obvious.

Just curious tho, does trading for Vuce make the Clippers better offensively?

Most likely no, because given the rest of the makeup of their roster they would only be asking Vuc to give them an efficient 10-10, and in that case might as well lead DJ do that in 6-8 touches per game. Same reason there are probably quite a few guys who could fill the limited offensive role asked out of Bosh the last 5 years in Miami and Love this year in Cleveland, better than those guys did/are doing. Dumbing your offensive game down from featured scorer to cleanup/table scraps duty doesn't normally work out with success. On top of that CP3 has always been best with a monster target for PnR lobs.

Now if DJ was on a team without a Blake Griffin caliber scorer in the front court already and needed a guy they could rely on to feed in the post and get buckets, than its obvious who the better man would be there. DJ would be exposed on a team without the pick and roll play and scoring depth you have in Clipperland.

Vinylman
02-04-2015, 06:07 PM

always when the clock is running out

Chrisclover
02-05-2015, 07:08 AM
if he actually develops an offense then teams will just foul him.. he cant hit a FT to save his life
LOL. The curse of a big man who cannot shoot.

PurpleLynch
02-05-2015, 08:20 AM
I really can't understand. His free throw shooting form is just good. If a guy like Cousins can hit fts,I can't understand how Jordan can't make em. He has not the awful release that Shaq or Wilt had...

Maybe it's time to introduce him to the dark secret of free throws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz-T30WZKo8

sixer04fan
02-05-2015, 09:37 AM
Maybe his hands are just too big to properly hold/control the ball off of his finger tips, even with a good shooting form. I remember Shaq always alluding to that with his FT struggles. For most people, the size of the ball is a natural feel in their hands. For big men, imagine it's almost more like trying to shoot a tennis ball out of your hands instead (exaggerated effect, but yeah). It's awkward even if you have have good form.

In a game, taking a jump shot quickly in rhythm, it might be easier. But when you slow down and shoot from a standstill, maybe those effects are magnified.

Chrisclover
02-05-2015, 09:56 AM
Maybe his hands are just too big to properly hold/control the ball off of his finger tips, even with a good shooting form. I remember Shaq always alluding to that with his FT struggles. For most people, the size of the ball is a natural feel in their hands. For big men, imagine it's almost more like trying to shoot a tennis ball out of your hands instead (exaggerated effect, but yeah). It's awkward even if you have have good form.

In a game, taking a jump shot quickly in rhythm, it might be easier. But when you slow down and shoot from a standstill, maybe those effects are magnified.
Yea, agreed. It's not like they slack off. They just cannot shoot.